[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Tick coloring issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Need some help with this issue with green coloring in chest (and i know that is common, even with the 16 inch figure), do you know how to solve that?
>>
Peroxide creme and sunlight solves it with white plastic and grey too, but I don't think you can solve this with blue plastic. Try looking for another figure.
>>
>>6230632

Thanks for the response, I wish to buy a new one, but this figure is hard to find where I live.
>>
How easy would it be to take the limbs off? At least the head.

Maybe you could dye the figure.
>>
>>6230680

That could be really hard, I will probably destroy the figure (it's like every 90's figure, it's sealed like TMNT and other figures).
>>
>>6230690
Try painting it or something. Sand it, prime it, colour it, coat it.
>>
Almost every Tick figure from that era has discolored like this. Best to just paint it over.
>>
Keep it that way, it looks like he's wearing a tank top.
>>
>>6230723

It's funny, but inside the figure, there is an spring
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I must organize this figure mess (I have more over top of these)
>>
>>6230690

Boil and pop.Couldn't be easier.
>>
>>6230773
How about learning to take pictures the right way first?
>>
>>6230786

How about to shut the fuck down?, this awful site reverse the photos (I take them with the IPhone camera)
>>
>>6230782

Well, that may be working, but I'm afraid that could damage the tick face
>>
The new series already has figures?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170309-122947.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170309-122947.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Even MOC ones are like this
>>
File: 1488031163243.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1488031163243.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>6230795
>shut the fuck down
>>
>>6230940

The fact that Cheetor eyes are a meme now makes me ecstatic.
>>
>>6230918

Yes, that's what I'm talking about
>>
>>6230892

I hope not, the new real action series from Amazon, is truly shit
>>
>>6231038
> the new series is shit

Literally one episode
>>
>>6230766
If there's truly a spring, that's why there's a problem, even with the sealed figures.

The spring is rusting. The oxidization process is reacting with the blue pigment, causing the discoloration. I have the same thing going on with some classic jumbo Blue Samsonite LEGO bricks I picked up. The discolored ones all had rust on them.
>>
>>6231201
That is such bullshit.
I had several tick figures That were standard, no frill action figures and every single one discolored just like OP's.
I even had the giant Talking Tick, and same thing. And yes, I opened him up and took out the guts, and there was no rust. It's just a simple reaction of the plastic as it ages.
>>
>>6230795
How about you know what you're talking about, dipshit.
Your Iphone as well as other phones, has software that reorients your photos to whatever angle you hold it.
The board doesn't.
You took the picture in portrait and that's how it will read. Any board, 4Chan included, will post the picture in whatever orientation it was taken in, without compensating and rotating it.
It's like turning a video camera sideways and expecting the picture to stay in place.

>How about to shut the fuck down
How you like the potatoes cooked that way, Paco?
>>
>>6230799

How? You don't even need to touch the face, you just submerge the figure in boiling water for about a minute then wedge a flathead screwdriver into the torso under the armpit.

If you're worried about the water affecting the paint it won't.
>>
>>6231201

It's discoloration from the plasticizer leaking, which is why it's only doing it on the chest because it's made from a different type of plastic than the head and limbs. Plastic doesn't oxidize like metal.It's just breaking down because it's old.
>>
>>6231240

That's correct
>>
File: comfy feels.png (252KB, 511x428px) Image search: [Google]
comfy feels.png
252KB, 511x428px
>>6231240
>tfw not even toys can stay young forever
damn..
>>
Well, there is a way to prevent this from happening?
>>
>>6231240
i was going to say this is a sign of certain types of plastics breaking down (faster than others, as all plastic breaks down over time) and painting it wont really be a long lasting solution?

unsure, but I'd assume painting would get ruined overtime as the discoloration is due to chemicals separating and leaking out, so the paint job would just be a barrier it has to get through

that, or itll start cracking regardless over time?
>>
>>6231240
I'm pretty sure its still oxygen that causes this though, even though its not oxidation, right?

like how movie costume props (such as TMNT movie suits) are completely falling apart, its due to oxygen exposure even though its not "oxidation" since not metal?
>>
>>6231387
Nope.
You saw yourself (or should have if you'd bothered to look) in >>6230918 that a sealed, unexposed figure acts in the very same way.

Stop trying to justify your ridiculous theory.
>>
Guys, stop fighting pls, I need to know if there is a way to reverse the "process" or at least how to prevent from happening
>>
>>6231524
http://www.retrofixes.com/2013/10/how-to-clean-whiten-yellowed-plastics.html
tldr; hydrogen peroxide
>>
>>6231347
>>6231387

No. Neither.

This is the plastic breaking down. But it's not plasticizer leak. That causes stickiness on rubbery figures.

This is yellowing. Plastics have bromide added as a flame retardant. Over time the bond with the plastic worsens and it rises to the surface. White plastic goes yellow and blue plastic goes green. etc.

>>6231530
It's been proven that this is only a temp measure. The yellowing comes back even worse after the HP effect wears off.
>>
>>6231477
>suggesting the figure inside carded packaging is not being exposed to air

do I have to explain this?
>>
>>6231535
if that were the case then why is only the chest being effected?
Wouldn't the entire figure have the same flame retardant treatment and thus the entire thing would be yellowing?
>>
File: ebaytick.jpg (494KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ebaytick.jpg
494KB, 1600x1200px
>>6230918

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-The-Tick-Bounding-Tick-action-figure-Brand-New-/112323098836?hash=item1a26fa78d4:g:AOUAAOSw32lYueXM

notice the difference in quality. the one youve posted has obviously deteriorated into worse condition than the one on ebay

the cards plastic casing is even showing signs of yellowing, where the ebay listing one is almost perfect (yes, there is a VERY slight coloring difference on the chest here too, but its almost negligable and could possibly just be due to the different plastic being used *always* being a hair off)

this means theres an outside factor speeding up the process for some figures. Most toys I've ever seen deal with this issue are improperly stored, being exposed to UV, heat, and/or harsh air environments.
>>
>>6230918
>>6231477
>>6231535

there are literally dozens on ebay right now with little to no yellowing.
>>
>>6231594
maybe they used a different plastic mix for the chest piece, it seems shinier than the arms/legs as well
>>
>>6231592
No, because you're simply wrong.
No amount of hypothesising is going to make you correct. No amount of excuses or explanations is going to change people's minds. You've been told by at least 2 people what the problem is, and why you're wrong, yet you want to keep pushing your idiotic claim.

>>6231594
Different plastic. Same with the Space Ghost figure that came out at the time. Limbs were a softer plastic, body was a harder plastic. A large portion of them are now yellowed.

>>6231603
So? I have one that's been open since I got it, sitting on a shelf in the other room, and it's still as blue as it was when I bought it. It means nothing.

Your theory is wrong, no matter how hard you keep on railing about it. It's done. It's over, you lost, you're wrong and that's that.
>>
>>6231633
You're mixing me up with the guy who posted the spring theory and/or other posters. Or else you're just being an Autistic neckbeard like no other.

All i've suggested is air/uv/harsh conditions cause plastic to deteriorate (which is 100% fact, there's no debating that, regardless of if these specific figures are in such poor state from it or something else). I've not insisted that is or is not what has happened, merely my own input and thoughts of what may be causing it.

Why you've got such a large stick up your ass I don't know.
>>
>>6231648
>You're mixing me up with the guy who posted the spring theory
Oops. Sorry then. My mistake. I was in error.

>you're just being an Autistic neckbeard like no other.
>Why you've got such a large stick up your ass I don't know.
Wow. And then you had to go and do this.
>>
>>6231670
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>6231670
I mean... You were kind of acting like an autistic neckbeard with a rather large stick up your ass.

Can't fault someone for speaking truths.
>>
File: mac_plastic_5_small.jpg (46KB, 411x296px) Image search: [Google]
mac_plastic_5_small.jpg
46KB, 411x296px
I'm not sure what's being argued specifically, but plastic's deterioration is enhanced by light/heat/air.
The more its exposed to these factors, the faster it will show wear.

So something in a carded bubble may not be exposed to much air, but heat and light can still have an effect on it.
>>
>>6231670

You come at someone with hostility, you get it in return. Don't puff your chest out if you can't handle the bantz.
>>
>>6231858

One other thing to mention is that carded figures use a plastic bubble on the card, which also deteriorates over time and does so faster because it's a thin sheet of plastic. And as it deteriorates it becomes brittle and porous, which then lets the elements slowly creep into the package itself.

These figures were never intended to stay in the package for decades, they have a shelf life just as anything does.
>>
>>6231201
Sorry for the hubbub. My bricks seemed clearly discolored from rust (based on the pattern of of rust I cleaned up and the discoloration below). The clean ones are original blue. I jumped to conclusions. But this is the answer, as has been said now:

>Manufacturers add bromine to ABS plastic to act as flame retardant. Over time, those chemicals react to the plastic's basic polymers and turn yellow. Sunlight and Heat accelerate this process.

>Sunlight and Heat accelerate this process.
>>
>>6232045

Bump
>>
>>6230918
It's strange that it's only the chest. what's the difference? I don't have the figure. are the limbs softer plastic?
reminds me of my old SNES... parts of the gray plastic are fine and other portions are yellowed to fuck even though it seems like the same type of plastic.
>>
>>6233782

Yes, the limbs appears to be a different plastic piece, which to be more it's is blue colored
>>
>>6234172

More weird is oxidation in blue plastic
>>
File: snes_plastic_chip_small.jpg (32KB, 408x275px) Image search: [Google]
snes_plastic_chip_small.jpg
32KB, 408x275px
>>6233782
It isn't the same type of plastic if the areas that were exposed to the same conditions aren't uniform.
Sometimes there are different expectations, like the top of the SNES being able to withstand hot embers and not go up in smoke. So the top shell has other chemicals added to withstand heat better than the bottom shell.

Also, pic to show how the plastic in the middle is unaffected, showing that it's air/light that fucks it over and isn't really the plastic itself decomposing fast.
>>
>>6234181

Nobody answer my question, there's a way to prevent this?
>>
File: your anus.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
your anus.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
>>6234181
Stick it in a deep dark place where there's little oxygen and never take it out.
>>
>>6234648
seems like an inevitable chemical reaction going to completion. I guess you could do things that slow down most processes - keep it away from moisture, UV radiation, and oxygen - but I don't think you can stop something that started right after they mixed those compounds and poured the plastic at the factory.
>>
>>6234648

You could try fucking up your figure by painting it with sunscreen nailpolish that blocks UV rays. I don't know if that gloss would just make it super ugly, though, or start chipping after a few weeks.

Otherwise, store those figures in containers that are UV protected in temperature controlled situations. Problem is you've got a a 20+ year old figure that who knows how it was previously stored.

But, those will only delay the process. It's going to happen eventually, inevitably.
>>
>>6235925
This is awful advice, as adding more paint will just make the toy look ugly and may fuck up the plastic more.
>>
>>6235926
>fucking up your figure
>make it super ugly
>start chipping

Thanks, pretty sure I covered that

Now try reading the part after I gave intentionally dumb advice to the guy that apparently is refusing to read any of the million articles on preventing plastic yellowing.
>>
>>6235958

Thanks
>>
it's just the type of plastic they used. no way around it, I've tried every technique and nothing has worked and painting the figure makes it look like shit,

remember, these were toys for kids and the company didn't count on people 20+ years from it's release would have the figure and be concerned about the discolorations, Besides that, the bounding tick was horrible. Reminds me too much of those shitty action features the Hasbro WWF figures had. the 2nd series tick displays much better with the set.....even the talking tick figures look better
>>
>>6230657
It happens on all of them
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.