[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BJD/Asian Doll Thread: "Spring is coming" Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 94

File: 26696216840_f171c5bb55_k.jpg (572KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
26696216840_f171c5bb55_k.jpg
572KB, 2048x1365px
Last thread >>6170458

FAQs:
/toy/ - bjd.buyfags.moe
/jp/ - dollfaq.buyfags.moe

Doll news and company list:
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/companies-other-links/

WIP Database/Height comparison:
>dollection.fi

Doll magazine scans (patterns!):
>plus.google.com/112174196208952755265/photos

Common sealants for faceups (there are more, but these are most frequently used):
>Mr. Super Clear Flat/Matte (UV-cut is preferred)
>Testor’s Dullcote (tends to get dirty easily)
>Citadel Purity Seal
>Zoukeimura Finishing Powder (it’s a spray by Volks)
>Liquitex Matte Medium (airbrush)

The general population of /bjd/ are anti-recast or are pretty much neutral on the subject.
Stop beating the dead horse every thread by asking.

Our threads are mostly dedicated to Ball-jointed dolls and other dolls in the Asian market.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
>>
>>6170458

>Nier Automata music video
Shit was traumatizing

> Iplehouse's new creation
DC/Soom Faery copy or not? It's definitely a little weird for them.

>Helping Tharja anon to find a seamstress for his doll

>The usual questions about Smartdoll
They are okay, guys.
They are easy to get, have lots of colors that DDs don't offer, but they suffer from pancake faces that only look good straight from the front.

>Some anon posted a bunch of helpful links for newbies
http://atriphene.wixsite.com/bjdwtf
https://abjds.wordpress.com/
http://fyeahlolita.blogspot.de/2010/06/bjd-101-ball-jointed-dolls-for.html
http://fuckinghardhat.tumblr.com/post/137414925880/the-big-bjd-faq
http://looking-glass-lands.blogspot.de/2016/04/a-bjd-guide-for-beginners-from-start-to.html
https://yureya.com/category/bjd-basics/
Explanation for them can be found in the last thread.

>Bluefairy and Cocoriang
Bluefairy is a little outdated but ship quickly, Cocoriang is a new company with super cute animals that are good quality

>How to commission a DD face-up/ways to get a custom painted DD head
Either find a commissionable artist or suffer through Y!Auction prices.

>Second-hand market is slow af, ways to get easier sales
Expand your market, price fairly, try Facebook groups because DoA and the like don't sell that well anymore

> New Smartdoll dude
Still flat face

>Usual discourse why some anons prefer to stay anons here
Risk to lose customers, some people hate this place here so much everyone who posts here is basically satan to them etc.

>Are Pullip BJDs
Short answer: no.

>How to paint eyebrows
Keep the base lighter, achieve the correct shade through the painted on hairs.

>Issues with sealants
Lightly mist it, have an eye on humidity and temperature (you want it mild and with low humidity)

>Helping anon find witch dolls for references
Next to the hat the most important is the general aesthetic so go for witchy accessoires and a general "magical" vibe or cutesie anime witch
>>
>>6225618
Recap Part 2:

>Regular slim male 70cm bodies
Hard to find.
Dollshe Hound, Dollmore Model, Sadol Star or that Mirodoll mess.

>Culur's doll
Still wonky. Arms too short, legs look warped, joints seem funky.

>Circlly now has its own BJD marketplace
bjd.circlly.com

>Buy from Mirodoll, yes/no
Wait for reviews on new stuff and accept that you really get what you pay for.

>Shit looking expensive doll =/= recast
I know it hurts, but some people just like their 800$ doll to look like utter shit.

>How to properly store dolls for a longer time
Pick an environment with controlled temperature and humidity, keep stuff dry and cool. Undress doll, bag everything up.
>>
File: 8591263431_2ce3d825f1_k.jpg (820KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
8591263431_2ce3d825f1_k.jpg
820KB, 2048x1365px
To start off this thread and in regards to the current edition: any of you guys plan to do some spring cleaning?
Selling dolls or just tossing out some old clothes, wigs and eyes?
>>
File: IMG_1335.jpg (991KB, 2753x3780px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1335.jpg
991KB, 2753x3780px
>>6225626
I have! I sold some excess crap I had laying around. Spare heads and bodies. I purchased a minifee cheap on closetchild- bline with a Chiwoo head. Just sold the Chiwoo head. For being such a dated sculpt, I was pleasantly surprised with it. It's not hideous but it's not for me.
>>
>>6225626
I'm currently trying to sell some clothes and heads... not quickly enough though, because I can't decide what to keep. I've grown to like all of them but know that it's pointless if they're packed away most of the time, even if I rotate regularly.
I never felt this sad when was selling Figma or similar figures
>>
File: DSCF6751.jpg (990KB, 757x1554px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6751.jpg
990KB, 757x1554px
>>6225626
Not really looking to sell or buy right now.

I like the clothes I own and they have specific purposes.

Don't really see anything to buy. Nothing catches my eye except for old stuff that rarely goes on sale. Like the Volks Red Japanese Apricot Kimono (Kyoto 10) and its counter part set.
>>
File: soonibrow.jpg (147KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
soonibrow.jpg
147KB, 540x720px
>>6225626
I am sort of in the process of doing that, but also doing that with other figures and manga and stuff.

>>6225636
ngl, Chiwoo was the first doll I fell in love with. It's still a sculpt I'm fond of; I ended up with a LTF version because bigger Chiwoos just didn't fit in with my crew.
>>
File: 20170306_083438.jpg (953KB, 1210x1210px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_083438.jpg
953KB, 1210x1210px
Lucy, round two with a not gargantuan picture
>>
>>6226225
ditto! Nice swirly eyes
>>
>>6225783
Aww, what a cutie.
>>
File: Isuckatthis.png (581KB, 502x900px) Image search: [Google]
Isuckatthis.png
581KB, 502x900px
Rate my couple?
Why is doll photography so difficult? I thought it would be as fun as action figure photography. I couldn't even put them in a nice couple pose. So excuse this complete trash photo.
>>
>>6226765
Could be your dolls string tensions, too loose and too stiff both cause posing problems.
However, doll posing is not the same as action figure posing. They're apples and oranges.
>>
File: poipoi.png (504KB, 653x733px) Image search: [Google]
poipoi.png
504KB, 653x733px
>>6226859
You're right they are really tight. Especially the girl one just flops and kicks all over the place. It was the first time I actually took my dolls out of their display and tried to pose them around for fun. I guess I was fooled by some of the amazing photos especially the DD ones and overestimated my resin dolls' posing.
Maybe I have to try sueding.
>>
>>6226765
They look like they both are living on coke, sugar and fresh free-range protein shakes.
>>
>>6226765
They look well kempt but anon is true, due the DC aesthetic they look like anorexic drug users.

The posing isn't too bad by the way, at least it looks organic and not like they got their limbs broken or like you didn't try at all.
And yes, BJDs are a pest to pose because of their own weight and because stringing and joints need to be just right for them to keep a pose.
DDs are lighter and due their skeleton can keep their pose, even if the range is limited at times.
Stuff like the thread photo or all those other dynamic shots are still done with stands and some editing though. Taking good doll photos is lots of faking in front of the camera and knowing how to hide it.
>>
>>6226765
part of the issue is, i think, is that dolls are so much bigger than action figures. the bigger the doll is, the harder time i have photographing it. so i always end up just taking pictures of my small dolls instead and barely touch my big ones.
>>
>>6227446
Also the risk and their price.
Like when a figure topples over, no big deal.
When my EID guy decides to fall to the ground his own weight and height is enough to damage his face.
First case I maybe break of a piece of plastic on my twenty bucks figure, in the latter my 800$ guy as a damaged face-up, face and maybe a broken finger too.
>>
File: DSCF6504.jpg (255KB, 631x882px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6504.jpg
255KB, 631x882px
Posing these two takes a lot of patience.
The KIPS joints does near nothing. (Silicone discs)
Not using stands makes posing even harder.

I hear there was a way to add wiring into joints for better posing.
>>
File: DSCF5249.jpg (292KB, 979x653px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5249.jpg
292KB, 979x653px
>>6227612
Then you have DDs which are like action figures basically. They will hold whatever pose you place them in. Unless you're posing them in a dynamic pose, all you have to do is balance them and shoot photos.
>>
>>6225598
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIzPsjJrbRs
>>
>>6227612
post more office-chan doing office-chan things
>>
>>6227612
Use stands, just edit them out.
And get those stands with bendable arms. Works both for dynamic BJD and DD pictures.
>>
File: asdfghjkl.png (465KB, 395x858px) Image search: [Google]
asdfghjkl.png
465KB, 395x858px
>>6227318
I LOL'd so hard my spleen exploded.

>>6227325
You're right about the editing and setting. I didn't even think that even for simple poses stands would be needed for BJDs. Usually I only use stands for very dynamic scenes for actions figures so the thought didn't even cross my mind.
The picture is insane. I love how half their butts are hanging out too. Very subtle.

>>6227446
>>6227462
True about the weight. The pic attached is the most dynamic that I managed to put the doll in (not impressive at all) and at any moment I was about to have a heart attack in fear of it falling.

>>6227612
I can already imagine the scene took forever. Especially with shoes and standing on a fluffy carpet while holding props.
Well, I'm kinda disappointed to hear that the kips aren't very effective I wanted to order some since I hate to resort to hot glue sueding . I also heard of moleskin sueding so I'll buy some later today and test to see how it will affect the posing.
>>
File: DSCF6782.jpg (243KB, 979x653px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6782.jpg
243KB, 979x653px
>>6227636
>What do you mean our intern isn't with you!? I sent Dan with you to get those documents to the CEO!
>>
>>6227830
lol, perfect
>>
>>6226765
Very Junji Ito. 10/10.
>>6225626
Debating selling one of my dolls, especially since the same company (Bluefairy) is currently offering limited sculpts they don't usually do anymore. And always trying to clear old shit I don't use, the same old stuff.
>>
File: DSCF6787.jpg (290KB, 1224x816px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6787.jpg
290KB, 1224x816px
>>6227894
>I don't know why you're dressed like THAT at work today! You missed the conference call this morning. The intern got lost with the URGENT documents! This is all your fault!

I'm taking you to an empty room to teach you proper office etiquette!
>>
>>6226765
For whatever reason it reminds me of Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love, trying desperately to hold onto someone dead inside.

>>6226989
My DCs need help keeping their poses in place. Sueding isn't a bad idea, but my issue is finding something thin enough to accommodate my Y-body. I can barely get any wire in there with the strings. My Adult body is easier to work with, but be careful with the tension.

>>6227809
Kips are probably most effective on smaller dolls. I haven't tried them in my larger ones, but they're not bad in my tinies. I want to see how well Dollshe's newer dolls are doing with the added silicon dots.

Kudos on getting your DC to stand unaided. It's definitely nerve-wracking to make sure they don't suddenly kick and topple over.
>>
>>6227612
How do you get the angles and lighting right? Everytime I try to take pictures of my doll it looks...off.
>>
>>6227913
>Very Junji Ito. 10/10.

Junji as in beautiful human main characters or nightmarish terror creatures? (why do I have a feeling it's the latter?lol)

>>6227980
The silicone pieces are such a genius idea. I wish someone does a review on them.
Too bad I see more RS/BBB and Mirodoll reviews than any high end company reviews. What is up with that?

I agree with you on the DC posing. The adult body is much easier to pose. The youth one is much harder to even stand and it doesn't help that mine only has the stilettos feet.

>>6227830
I love this pic so much >>6227937 and his suit too.
>>
I would put a bounty on any information to do with Toshirodragon. After she got banned from DoA she dropped off the face of the earth, and that was around 2012. I'd love to see a "where are they now" on that crazy bitch.
>>
>>6226765
>>6227318
For posterity
>>
>>6228095
If you post a horror pic and tell us what camera you're using, we can give you some tips on what might be wrong.
>>
File: 1488948570609.jpg (18KB, 321x252px) Image search: [Google]
1488948570609.jpg
18KB, 321x252px
>>6226765
>doll camel toe
>>
Hey guys!
I've always loved BJDs but never did more than look at random pics on Flickr, and now that I'll finally start living alone with my money all for myself I'm thinking at getting some hobby. I love dolls a lot and I know that if I get one of those babes I will want to do my own face ups, but of course I don't want to ruin a perfectly nice doll, so I wanted to know you guys opinion
Should I start with fashion dolls, like MHs, just to get the hang of it, or it's too different from painting on resin? Is there any brand that sells cheap faces that I can use just for training? Or there's no problem to just try it on a proper doll, since the sealant should make it easy to remove it all, anyway?
Sorry for english
>>
>>6229273
I personally think the difference is too big.
The size, material (soft plastic versus hard resin) and painted on eyes instead of eyeholes are just too different to really learn how to paint BJDs on a MH.

You can definitely paint your own doll right away, unless you really fuck up and ignore what numerous tutorials tell you to do there is no reason why you should damage the face.
However, I still think it's better to start with a nicely painted doll (i.e. default face-up) and get a practice head next to it.
Your first doll won't look like shit, you can be more relaxed and can constantly rewipe the practice head.

Check Alice's Collection, they have a few companies that offer cheap practice heads.
Akagi is one of them, you can't do wrong with 25$ for a SD head:
http://www.acbjd.com/akagi-doll-event-doll-head-c-273_285.html

Just stay away from ebay and co., practice heads there are usually recasts/bootlegs labelled that way to lure in newbies.
For the rest, check the the guides in the first post or the shitton of links in the recap (maybe we should add some of those into the next thread).
>>
File: punish.jpg (206KB, 833x614px) Image search: [Google]
punish.jpg
206KB, 833x614px
>>6228095

Angles - Photos should be taken at roughly doll's height. A bit higher or lower and then angled up or down for desired effect.

Light - This is highly variable. I use ambient room light without any direct lighting sources.
You have to play with camera settings - ISO, Aperature, Exposure Value, turn off Flash, and Exposure time. The histogram on the camera helps if you understand it.

Phone cameras will distort at close range, if you're using one. (Distort as if looking through a fish bowel. The center of the photo is stretched and the edges are crunched. Doll's nose will be larger, ears will be smaller if using a phone camera at close range.)
>>
>>6228755
fcking creep..
>>
>>6229300
>Distort as if looking through a fish bowel.
I hate trying to take decent photos with my phone but they're not THAT bad
>>
File: tumblr_mgowxxytw51qdw2ozo1_.jpg (141KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgowxxytw51qdw2ozo1_.jpg
141KB, 640x426px
>>6229536
Agree, you have a slight distortion but it's regular wide angle (roughly similar to my 35mm lens on my full-frame dslr), not full blown super wide angle distortion.
It can look a little off, just enough to recognize it's off, but taking a step back and cropping the picture in the end instead is usually enough.
>>
>>6229299
Wow, 25 dollars. I'll really look into that
Thanks!
>>
File: 8.jpg (783KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
783KB, 1200x800px
>>6225626
I threw out all the trashy newbie wigs and clothes that belonged to my previous dolls I sold and bought a buncha new outfits. Can't wait for them to get shipped.
>>
Are there any doll companies that are known to not include boxes or anything of the sort just the doll and maybe some eyes?
>>
>>6230063
You mean, unstrung? I've been able to ask a couple of chinese companies to do that, but I doubt any of the bigger companies would agree. More effort + unless each piece is individually wrapped win bubble wrap or something, more chances of getting damaged on the way.

Why do you not want boxes? (I didn't because I was paranoid over customs in my country, once upon a time.)
>>
>>6230073
No, there are some dolls I'm looking at but cant find if its listed whether or not they come with a box. So, yeah.
>>
>>6230190
Well then no, I don't know of a single company that doesn't send their doll out with a box. They'd be hard pressed to ship them out otherwise, mate.
>>
>>6230190
Generally assume they will come with a fancy box and some other stuff to proof legitimacy (a certificate, some cards, a fancy headback etc.).
This is for legit dolls bought from the company/artist/through a dealer.
Shipping will be done with an additional outer box, sometimes with the name of the company printed on it.

If you want to know how a certain doll will look like when it comes to your home just search for name of doll + box opening.
Unless it's a rare one or one from a company that has never shipped something out before you will probably find at least one picture.

I mean, would you expect any other toy to be shipped without a box? Goodsmile doesn't ship out Figmas without them either.
>>
>>6230190
Are you looking at recasts or something? Every legit company sends their dolls out in boxes with their logo, and a lot of them now even have special doll shaped cut outs made of foam inside. Even when they send just heads out they are usually in a company stamped box.

Recast companies, however, as far as I know, just send the dolls wrapped up in bubble wrap like mummies, still in a box but not an actual nice company box.
>>
>>6230610
Sometimes recasts also come in pink satin zip cases. That's a good sign of if it's a recast.
>>
>>6230610
Not that anon, but I assume they are confused because there are nearly no companies that actually show their packaging on the sales pictures, yet alone mention it.
That's probably the reason why they are confused.

Or is there a company that shows the box on the doll pages? Can't remember any.
>>
File: 20170309-015.jpg (23KB, 288x512px) Image search: [Google]
20170309-015.jpg
23KB, 288x512px
newfag to /toy/ here, just here to show off my pretty boy.
that's all, goodbye
>>
File: zxc.jpg (173KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
zxc.jpg
173KB, 540x960px
So I'm back from sueding my doll with moleskin and all I can say is screw this doll :)
The sueding did absolutely nothing for posing but it did stop the joints from rubbing against each other and make horrible noises. So it wasn't a complete a waste of time.
I couldn't even get her to stand normally let alone in a pose. So here she is leaning against a door.
>>
File: comparison.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
I'm just going to leave this here.
>>
What's the comm like in Vacouver?
Moving there a while and don't wanna lose touch with dollies.
>>
>>6231453
Yeaaah, that's a tad bit too close for me to be honest? They even have the same ugly eyeshape that already looked bad on the Iple.
>>
>>6231453
>you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about
>>
File: 32544689283_29365b3a58_o.jpg (269KB, 801x1200px) Image search: [Google]
32544689283_29365b3a58_o.jpg
269KB, 801x1200px
found
>>
File: lul.png (575KB, 1267x713px) Image search: [Google]
lul.png
575KB, 1267x713px
>>6231453
Pardon my shitty editing skills.
>>
>>6231453
of all the handsome as fuck iplehouse dolls, they choose one of the few ugly ones to copy? wtf?
>>
>>6232069
They tried to 'fix' it.
Or, maybe 'improve' it.
>>
>>6225598
What are some small BJD I can get that are under 300 euro? I'm looking for one around 20cm, maybe up to 30. I don't mind whether they're anthro or not, I'm just intending to get one to lead me into the hobby and to practice my sewing with.
>>
>>6232188
Are you thinking childlike (like a YoSD) or more like an adult?
I find YoSd fun to sew for, but the slim adult-like almost barbie-sized dolls of that height are harder to work with. Same with sewing for pure neemo.
>>
>>6232195
A child-like one, preferably. I find they're pretty cute. But, I'll look through any suggestions. My preferences are pretty broad, since it's a first BJD I'm looking for.
>>
>>6232204

Try taking a look at places like closetchild/dollyteria, there are plenty of secondhand, affordable Volks YoSD as well as other brands.
>>
>looking through random doll companies
>finds dearminedoll, the dolls are pretty cute so i want to look into them
>many are out of stock and cost an arm and a leg regardless
Being a poorfag is suffering.

>>6232268
Been looking through the available dolls, I'm glad the prices aren't too difficult. Realistically speaking, how shit would the postage cost be on an item? Give as vague a figure as you want, I just need a general idea. I live in southern Europe for reference.
>>
>>6232332
another yuropoor here, EMS costs about 2-4k yen depending on the company and what mood the person who registered your order was in
SAL registered is about 1-1.5k yennies but only smaller dolls can be shipped SAL (under 60 cm box length and 2 kg weight)
>>
>>6232188
You are lucky, at that size you can get quite a few dolls at that size, new ones too.
Luts for example has both anthros and humans. A basic Honey Delf (26cm, so regular child 1/6 BJD) is 200$ blank, a Zuzu Delf anthro I think 180$?
The full-set Zuzus are a little over 300$ for a painted doll with outfit and sometimes accessoires.

Check the Collectasy list in the OP.
As said, lots of companies offer that size and it's usually for less than 300.

>>6232332
Depends on your shipping method and if the doll still has the original box.
But I think not more than 50$ for EMS.

Just stick to the links in the collectasy list to stay safe.
There's also a “Dolls for less than 300“ link in one from the tutorials in the recap, pulled it out for you:
https://denofangels.com/doawiki/index.php?title=BJDs_Under_$300!

And another one:
http://bluekitsune.tumblr.com/post/102369161240/dolls-for-300-or-less

You'll see the YoSD list is long and not only cheapo companies.
Try Angell-Studio or 5StarDoll too.
>>
>>6232332
I just bought a minifee and a kimono from Dollyteria. I always pay for EMS. They just quoted me 5,200 yen for the box, then refunded me 1900 as accidental overcharge. So only 3300 for a 45cm doll and 60cm kimono.
To my knowledge they don't mark down though if that is a concern. I did see a dearmine doll at dolly, and they restock every Sunday.
Check Mandarake too!
>>
>>6231453
>>6231988
It's so obvious these motherfuckers shamelessly recasted a modded Roger (sanded eyebrow wrinkles, jaw, lower lip and added to the upperlip). First Dollstown now Iplehouse? When will this shitty company get blacklisted from DoA? Fuck mirodoll to hell.
>>
File: m5egwinz.jpg (129KB, 523x720px) Image search: [Google]
m5egwinz.jpg
129KB, 523x720px
>>6231453
Shitty overlay, Roger on top of Hector at 50%.

Unfortunately the Mirodoll picture was taking with the wrong lense, the whole thing is distorted (hence why his eyes are so far back).
Would need a proper portait shot of both for a better overlay.
>>
File: whymother.jpg (129KB, 523x720px) Image search: [Google]
whymother.jpg
129KB, 523x720px
>>6232453
Okay, I just checked their website (after being attacked by a shitton of spam-virus websites, wtf), and I doubt he's a recast.

He's inspired at best, because his profile and back looks nothing like Iplehouse.
Especially his profile is...bad. Like...really, really bad.
I have no clue how they mentioned to make a somewhat proper front and then manage to badly fuck up the rest like this.
I never would have thought the doll looks like that from the side because it feels like they printed a proper front onto some prototype back.
>>
File: RogerSide.png (1MB, 827x683px) Image search: [Google]
RogerSide.png
1MB, 827x683px
>>6232475
And to compare, Roger's profile.
>>
File: EID_roger_13.jpg (474KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
EID_roger_13.jpg
474KB, 600x900px
>>6232483
He's also actually not that ugly?
I still think his eyes are a little weird, but it's mostly Iple being unable to paint their dolls, as usual.
His cowboy version was cool though.
>>
>>6232475
Ahahaha it's Baba Yaga
>>
>>6232475
not mentioned, managed.
>>
Are there any doll lines whose dolls are a bit more cartoony than an average doll? All the ones I've been looking through generally have a very polished look but I'm wondering if there are any that are sort of simple in comparison.
>>
>>6232550
Resinsoul/Bobobie?
Mirodoll (ha)?
Pretty much every cheap chinese company?

Do you have a reference or something of what exactly you have in mind?
Or can you show us a few dolls that are not what you want, to compare?
>>
How frowned upon is it to post our own dolls here? I have a few that I like but am not quite happy with and would appreciate some concrit.
>>6232550
Bluefairy maybe?
Big eyes, round faces, small mouths and noses.
They're quite cute imo.
>>
>>6232628
Just do it anon.
As long as you have nothing to lose by your dolls being seen here/don't mind honest critique it's all cool.
>>
>>6232628
People probably won't pat your ass, but they can give reasonable concrit and will not unduly be jerks.
...except when we told Nekosomething to make her bed. That was a little silly. But it was a messy bed.
>>
File: unoas.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
unoas.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>6232636
>>6232648
Here goes nothing.
I'm pretty basic and collect mainly MSDs (unoas and minifees) here are my two unoas. The left (blonde) I'm overall pretty happy with, but something just never feels .. right with the right one (lusis) And I don't really know how to fix it/what to fix. Any advice would be gr8.
(Sorry for the shit pic lol, ran it through beautycam real quick to try to clean it up)
>>
>>6232777
looks cute, both of them.
>>
File: MOMO-SET.jpg (112KB, 597x960px) Image search: [Google]
MOMO-SET.jpg
112KB, 597x960px
>>6231453
That nose is obvious as fuck.

>>6232475
Okay, only from the front. This is gross. I cringe really hard when I see someone fawning over how in love they are with a Miro sculpt.

>>6232332
Most DearMine are fairly limited. They try to separate limiteds from standards, but they do a bad job of it. They're so adorable, and their default faceups are very kawaii uguu animu stuff if you're into that.

>>6232550
I guess that depends. Do you want an anime-looking doll? Try Azone, Dollfie Dream, Smartdoll, or Obitsu for larger sized vinyl. Do you want something more stylized? What styles are you into? There are so many options available now. Dollpamm is resin, but has some weird derpy sculpts and anthros.

>>6232777
The left one looks gr8 to me for the most part. The eye gaps bother me a little, the sweater's maybe a bit loose, and the collar is kinda large too, but it goes with the territory.

The right one, love the shirt. I used to have one just like it and regret getting rid of it. My only gripes are the eyelashes and wig. The eyelashes are obvious WC pencil lashes and grainy. The wig looks like that typical messy Volks boystyle (this seriously reminds me of Enn) which can be tough to manage because the fibers are stiff.

Is your Lusis a grill/want to be girly? You never know in this fucking hobby (since day 1) so it helps to ask to make sure (despite ~muh offended it's obviously a unicorn ftm mod and has a penis despite being in cute frilly shit~), since post context is not implicating one or the other.

If yes, I would go with a softer wig. Not necessarily longer, but something with softer fibers.
>>
>>6232777
They're quite cute. The only thing that bugs me is that frizzy brown wig, you should find her a better one.
>>
>>6230610
>Every legit company sends their dolls out in boxes with their logo
I have six legits that came without a company box straight from the company/dealer, so that's not necessarily true. One was a kit (admittedly an exception to Sooms usual packaging) so was just wrapped in bubble wrap in the shipping box. The others all came in either custom carry cases or just pillow sleeves inside of their shipping boxes. My HZ actually came in a bomb ass pleather bag that looks like a golf bag, and when I picked up my Dollmore the owner of the company handed her over directly in a padded case.

Plus Bobobie/Resinsoul was known back in the day for sending their dolls in a crappy but effective satin pillow sleeve.
>>
>>6232550
Other than those already mentioned, 2Ddoll has very anime looking dolls
>>
>>6233014
I have a question about Dollpamm. I've seen people put Littlefee heads on them (they're between scale right?) so does anyone think one of the anime-style YoSD heads would work? Maybe the SQ Chibi line? I love their body sculpts but the faces are just way too weird for me.
>>
>>6233064
The Soom one doesn't count because they tell you beforehand that the kit comes without their regular stuff.
And Dollmore doesn't count because you didn't receive the order through the regular way, if you check box-openings they tend to come in golden boxes (saw a Trinity BO though which had a black bag too).
It's also important to say when you ordered those dolls, nowadays the packaging tends to be nicer in most cases.
And who the fuck just sends a pillow sleeve in a shipping box with nothing else? Sounds risky to me.

RS at least nowadays uses those brown leather bags.
And roommate got their BBB years ago in a blue BBB box with orangey pillow sleeve.

>>6232777
Okay, those face-ups are pretty bad, anon.
It's even worse on the Lusis because she has all those grainy lines going down her cheeks that remind me of spider legs.
But that crusty inside of the Sist's eyes, yuck.

Ignoring that, maybe the issue is that your Sist has its own vibe/character just from her styling, while the Lusis looks like “I didn't expect you to come so soon, wear what's left in the drawer“.
The wig is also pretty messy, agree with other anon.
Do you have a certain style for them planned? An aesthetic you are aiming for?
>>
Since we are talking about stylized dolls, anyone knows where to find more cartoony dolls that aren't so default moeblob anime? More geometric, with stylized proportions... more like Megaman or Pantie and Stocking, or western cartoons. I like Mini-machina, Airelle, and Poulpys (mostly face), as well as Azone's Lil Fairy series (body only), though I also would love to see dolls with more angles, if there's such a thing somewhere.
>>
>>6233075
I wish I knew. I thought the SQ Chibi line worked similarly to DDs, in that all the heads are the same size. It would probably be an odd hybrid, but then again, I'm not sure what the standard sizes the heads are on Dollpamm
>>
>>6233064
>>6233219
When your ordered the doll is important, since, as stated, back in the day some companies did not have boxes. But these days they all do as far as I know. I've ordered from Soom, Luts, Fairyland, Fifth Motif, Unoalchemy, Latidoll, Withdoll and Legende de Temps. All were sent in boxes, the majority specific to their type (Fairyland has specific boxes for their lines, so does Luts.)

Even eye companies these days send their eyes in their own logo-ed boxes. Makoeyes, Enchanted Doll, Silent Paradise and Doll Bakery all have their own packaging.

Its just extremely uncommon for a company, even shitty companies, not to have their own brand specific boxes.
>>
>>6233433
I ordered from:
LUTS, Iplehouse, Volks (DD and SD), Granado, Soom, Islanddoll, La Legende de Temps, Loongsoul, Bambicrony, Dollshe, Dollzone, Doll Chateau, Leekeworld, Migidoll, FDoll, Angelsdoll, April Story, Spiritdoll.
And some smaller artists like CTY and Akhmel.
Roommate also had/has Batchix, Dikadoll, Limwha, Simply Divine, Dreamhigh Studio, Resinsoul, Bobobie, Dollti, Souldoll, Leeel, Noyadoll, Pipos, DBDoll.

I think that's all we ever had here from 2008 onwards. Not all of them full dolls.
Nearly all of them had a nice box, usually with logo.
The ones who had no branding were usually from small artists, the box was still nice but it was just some random deco box.
Some had labelled bags instead of a box (like Spiritdoll).

I think less than five came with no nice box, no logo, just pillows.
>>
>>6232777
This might just be me but I hate that style of putting the eyes too high in the socket. It looks like the doll is having a stroke.
>>
File: tumblr_omg6pqIU1Z1r7xb6fo2_1280.jpg (157KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omg6pqIU1Z1r7xb6fo2_1280.jpg
157KB, 960x1280px
Has any of you bitches seen the concept art for Ringdoll's future release?
>>
>>6232777
I think you could benefit from a slightly larger iris size on the doll on the right, anon.
>>
>>6233014
>>6233061
>>6233219
>>6233689
>>6233774
Thank you for the advice everyone.
My lusis is indeed a girl. I was kinda heartbroken when I received her back from her faceup artist and have been procrastinating getting it redone since I spent money on it, but this is good motivation for that. TBQH the "aesthetic" I have her going for was some sort of ethereal forest spirit but that's not working out, thinking about re-visioning her into some kind of kawaii blogger type.
About my sist: I like her faceup and her up high eyes (I think she looks stubborn and cute) but I do appreciate the input, so thank you. Her style is much more clear in my head as a stubborn nanchatte/school girl tomboy, I'm glad that it shows.
>>
>>6233722
why does it look like some drawthread OC by a 13 y.o. kid
>>
>>6233806
He looks like a Dark Souls/Bloodborne boss.
>>
I think somebody just sold me a bootleg Volks SD17 body. Can anyone confirm for me whether the rough textured inside the hip socket is supposed applied sueding or cast into the resin?
>>
File: qr2.jpg (155KB, 665x706px) Image search: [Google]
qr2.jpg
155KB, 665x706px
>>6233852
A legit Volks should look like this, unless its a really old, old SD17.
>>
File: file.png (478KB, 742x782px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
478KB, 742x782px
What are your guy's thoughts on Sio2's cute anthro dolls? I bought one a week ago but it's my first BJD and I was wondering if anyone else collected them.
>>
>>6233240
Bishounen house, it has a kinda borderlands look to it
>>
File: tumblr_omhbl9Q2RJ1tp2e7ao1_500.jpg (122KB, 500x723px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omhbl9Q2RJ1tp2e7ao1_500.jpg
122KB, 500x723px
Does anyone know where I could find a sweater like this? I have tried looking everywhere and have not found it. I'm wondering if this is a custom or something.
>>
Does anyone here know how red resin discolours over time?
>>
>>6233870
They are 3D modeled and the jointing isn't tested very much afterwards.
That means they are cute, but their posing is barely existing.
Because they have unusual sizes dressing them up is a bit of a gamble, so you need to test around a little or ask other owners if and how they dressed theirs up.

>>6234398
Owner of the doll is St. James on DoA.
I checked their posts and they mentioned they bought Iplehouse HID clothing for him.
Here you go:
http://iplehouse.com/home/shop/item.php?it_id=1652146957&nhn1=en

>>6234448
Depends if it's more the purple-ish red or yellowish red right from the start.
If it's the first the red will become less bright and more yellowish, in the latter it tends to mostly lose some color.
It's still definitely red though and unless you bake that doll it will stay like that.
Source: friend of mine owns a Soom Trachy, who turned a tad more yellowish and a tiny bit less saturated over the years.
>>
File: 8221879694_98313880a9.jpg (101KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
8221879694_98313880a9.jpg
101KB, 500x375px
>>6233404
Their regular ones work that way but Chibi is its own thing. It seems like they're between LTF and MNF size wise so I'm curious how much of a difference the half inch of width makes.
(not my pic. DD head, Chibi head, regular SQ head)
>>
I'm looking for a blue or blue/teal wig, like sapphire blue or darker. MNF size, and soft fiber, preferably synthetic and not a shite Monique wig. Would prefer longer and straight/soft wave but desu I don't even care anymore, at the end of my rope on this one. Every darker blue wig I find is either super stiff rough fiber or $70 alpaca. Can anyone point me the right direction?
>>
File: Just why.jpg (357KB, 798x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Just why.jpg
357KB, 798x1024px
Why do people think face-ups like this looks good?
Its messy and gross imo.
>>
>>6235486
Its a sloppier way of achieving the weathered antique doll look.
>>
>>6235311
Why don't you get the alpaca?
70$ is not that bad for a wig that actually fits your wishes and looks nice.
Always better than buying three regular wigs and still be disappointed in the end.
>>
>>6235584
They tend to shed and I'm allergic. I've looked into the faux alpaca/bamboo silk or whatever it is ones but no one making them can cut bangs for shit (though this seems to be an issue with custom wigs in general). I can cut hair but honestly if I'm paying $50 or more for it, I shouldn't be having to "salvage" it when it arrives.
>>
File: CRWM81_MM.jpg (2MB, 800x6517px) Image search: [Google]
CRWM81_MM.jpg
2MB, 800x6517px
>>6235311
Pic related is from Crobidoll.

I'm finding a lot of teal wigs (Miku-colored) on ForMyDoll under the name Vintage Green.

I took a gamble and got a blue wig off eBay that turned out okay. It was short and had lighter layers on the bottom.

I'm sure you could find a bigger variety on Taobao, but I am not familiar with terms you will have to use. We have quite a few Taobao-savvy anons that may be able to help.
>>
File: hires.jpg (3MB, 4044x2253px) Image search: [Google]
hires.jpg
3MB, 4044x2253px
>>6228095
Heres a high resolution cropped pic for you.
Camera was at doll height. No computer editing. No flash.

Lighting was done by playing with camera exposure time and using a camera stand. The exposure time was like 2-3 seconds... I don't have dedicated lights for photography.
Aperture 16 since I want everything in focus, relatively.

Sorry for dusty chair.
>>
>>6236072
Thank you!
I think my main trouble is I need to play with my settings and a stand. my hands are too shaky to get a good decent picture.
>>
Does anyone here use an airbrush for faceups? Do you have any recommendations for airbrushes?
>>
>>6236910
Would a cheap airbrush ($100 to $150) be okay or is there a need to invest in a more expensive one?
>>
File: 15284105279_83fc728735_o.jpg (356KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
15284105279_83fc728735_o.jpg
356KB, 600x900px
>>6236910
I don't use mine for face-ups (unless for a concept that can't be done any other way), but for fantasy part blushing/body blushing and occasional sealing.
In case of a gun ask yourself first how you prefer to work.
How should the paint flow into the gun, double or single action etc., look into the different systems first and then check popular brands (Iwata is a good one, I personally own a Harder & Steenbeck).
You can get a proper gun for a little less than 100$ already, depending on your needs.

When you want to purchase an airbrush you need to keep in mind though that you not only need the gun.
You need the gun with hose, compressor, paint, thinner, and cleaning tools at least.
Better if you add a stand for your gun and a small booth to spray in too.
You will regularly buy new paints, at least if you are like me, and a replacement part once in a while for the gun.
Keep in mind you need space for the whole setup too.

Since I knew I would use mine a lot for commissions I spent a little more to make sure I have no need to upgrade later.
I can tell you right away though that 100-150$ is not enough for a full setup.
At least not a functional, long lasting set you plan to use more than every few months for more than just a miniature here and there.
It's probably best to look into airbrush forums, you are not the first who wants to get into airbrush and I admit shit can be complicated at first.
I'd say put at least 300$ aside for your setup (not incl. paint/thinner/cleaning tools/booth), if you plan to airbrush regularly and want more flexibility.
>>
>>6237009
Thanks Anon! Would the quality of airbrush and equipment needed differ if I mainly wanted to use it for sealant?
>>
>>6225626
Decided to sell my first doll, a JID. She has a custom faceup that looks like crap, any tips for successful faceup removal before selling?
>>
>>6237429
If you just want to use it for sealant you can surely cut some money here and there.
For sealant you don't need that much control over the flow for example or need to work very slow and detailed. It's more like coating a car, with a steady flow and wide movements.

Sadly I can't point out a certain set to you, I got mine through the help of locals/people who already airbrushed for years and I checked out forums for additional help (also I'm from a non-English speaking country, I lack certain terms and can't provide links you can use either).
If you are active anywhere else, maybe try the #bjd tag on Tumblr, Instagram or DoA.

>>6237441
Get either some Isopropanyl (highest % you can get, the 70% one takes ages to clean with) or go straight for Mr. Thinner.
Add a magic eraser and a toothbrush, q-tips and toothpicks, pair of gloves.

Put the head in a little bowl, pour in some cleaner, start removing the rough parts with a piece of magic eraser that was dunked into the cleaner.
Afterwards repeat the process in the hard to reach places (inside of ears, nostrils etc.) with your q-tips, then toothbrush and toothpicks.
Rinse the head with water, , let it dry, afterwards you will probably see some white flakey spots; those are sealant residues.
Clean the bowl, repeat the process till head looks clean.
Clean the inside too.

Last step should be right at the sink.
Clean piece of magic eraser, dunked into cleaner again, wipe the whole head a last time. Rinse off the head with water while still wet, then dry with a towel.

Head should be really squeeky clean then.
Don't let it soak in the cleaner for too long, even "mild" stuff like Iso can soften resin after a while.
A few minutes is cool though.
Make sure to wear the gloves, Iso/Mr. Thinner dries out your hands like crazy.
>>
>>6237441
Easiest and safest method in my experience is Windsor Newton brush cleaner. Just wet pieces of paper towel with it and rub and it will all melt away. Certain areas with tiny crevasses require a toothbrush and scrubbing and really tough stuff you'll need a toothpick. Afterward wash it and scrub it a bit more with a magic eraser.
>>
Why does everyone hate Monique wigs? Is it just that the styles are boring off-the-rack? I really like the fine denier of their fiber...

>>6236910
I use an Iwata Eclipse, which (with some masking tricks) gives enough control to be used in place of pastels for face-ups. I would recommend a dual action airbrush for better control at small sizes. You can get an airbrush + compressor kit on Amazon in the neighborhood of $300.
>>
Approximately for how long would one can of mr. super clear last? Say, if I make 3 coats per head, how many heads can I expect to be able to paint?
>>
>>6237695
The only dolls with Monique wigs that stay nice are ones that aren't touched at all. I had a few for my dolls when I first got into the hobby and even with very careful storage and using a metal wide tooth brush and everything they still frizzed up within a year of purchase. I still have one lingering around because its the only thing I had on hand that fit a particular doll and I have to pretty much soak it in wig conditioner to avoid intense amounts of flyaways in my photos.
>>
>>6237707
3 coats per head is waaay too low in my opinion.
Or do you plan to do everything in two steps?
Like: seal, blush, seal, paint, seal?
It's very difficult to layer colors that way and you can only apply so much blush in one layer before it looks bad. Loss of control is an issue too, not to mention that just one coat for start/end isn't that good either. Can't build up texture on a slippery head and the finished job won't be protected that well.

However, if you really keep the amount that low you can easily paint ten heads, if not more. Dunno how long mine usually last, but I do a lot of layers and still can use a can for weeks. Depends if I have other commissions at the same time too.

>>6237801
Not as extreme as anon describes it here, but I mostly agree. Their gold line is good for “realism on a budget“, but boy, those flyaways. The hairs are way too fine and lots of their styles just age badly.

Their other wig lines are pretty meh and their website is a hot mess.
Mostly straight, longish wigs from their gold line are usable though.
>>
>>6237844
Thanks!
>Like: seal, blush, seal, paint, seal?
yeah, I found some step by step and it was done in this way. This would be my babby's first face up too, so I was worrying I'll run out of sealant considering I'll probably have to redo everything a dozen times.
>>
>>6237891
Honestly, do a few more steps and take your time with each layer.
Slow layering is key and additional layers make it possible to erase more often without damaging something you like.
You can build up colors better that way too. If you do it in several light layers the overall look will be smoother and less messy.
Thin your paints too and better paint all lines twice.

Also look at face-ups from skilled artists you like and try to copy what you see.
>>
>>6237913
Adding: before you paint the head, learn to use the brush on paper and try to paint very fine lines. Afterwards seal the headcap and try blushing on it, you can use one half for blushing and one for lines too.
The headcap can be cleaned easier than the head and just needs one coat for testing purposes.
>>
File: 20150821203034d79.jpg (68KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
20150821203034d79.jpg
68KB, 500x333px
>>6237920
thanks again, the guide I've found mentioned testing things on the headcap too so I'll make sure to remember it
and I was going to try and copy something like this for the eyes, would it be very hard to do (I only have experience with painting some garage kits so haven't really tried pastels before) and should I strive for something simpler?
>>
File: tumblr_omkh70TenI1v37we3o1_540.png (586KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omkh70TenI1v37we3o1_540.png
586KB, 540x720px
Some people have no taste. Isn't Doom Bomi really expensive?
>>
>>6237939
I assume you paint a DD head?

There are three things that you will probably struggle with:
>cleanliness
>symmetry
>smoothness

The vinyl surface surface sucks up pastels like woah, and even with a magic eraser it can be hard to erase in case you aren't satisfied with that step.
Another reason why working with lighter and more layers helps.

Symmetry is a pest with animetic styles, so try to sketch the style first on paper, then sketch its outlines onto the head.
Use a watercolor pencil, sketch lightly, don't go straight for acrylics.
Same for the eyebrows.

Smoothness means achieving that dark eyelash look without crusty acrylic bits or brush strokes.
After sketching the outlines seal them and fill it first with pastels (like a dark brown), afterwards seal it again. Maybe do it twice, depending on how dark you want in the end.
Afterwards thin your paints, cover the base, seal, paint the fine lines that stick out to the sides. Because you blushed it to roughly the correct shade before you need less paint to achieve the desired darkness, the layer is thinner and thus smoother.

In case of acrylics always give it enough drying time before you seal it again, else you trap moisture underneath the sealant.
I usually let it dry through the night.

I think that's it?
Of course there are many ways to paint, this one worked for me after testing a few and it's pretty safe/slow, better for beginners than “do everything at once“.
Take your time, that really helps.
If you sit several hours throughout a week on a head that's no problem, better than rushing through it in two hours.
>>
>>6238290
PS: the style you picked is not thaaaat hard, but the more lines the harder the symmetry. And painting thin lines is more difficult than a simple style, but both won't be easy the first times.
As said, paint it first on paper and test around a little.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
These types of shoes will not stay on while my doll is wearing any sort of cotton socks. I don't know how Volks did it in their photos... glue maybe?

Can anyone help? I don't think I'm putting them on incorrectly. Is there a trick here that I'm missing?
>>
>>6238458
Are you putting the clear elastic bands behind the ankle? That's where they're supposed to go.
>>
>>6238477
Yes, but they slide right off.
They only stay on when touching resin, without any socks... which is kinda dumb.
>>
>>6238482
Hmm... that's weird. Are they modeled on a DD on the website?

Either way, I'd suggest some sock glue or adhesive tape meant for clothing.
>>
Babby's first Volks outfit set arrived in the mail and I am profoundly annoyed. Topstitched hems on the hakama, shitty crooked erisugata (/how/ do you fuck up a double-sided fabric rectangle, literally you just had to fold it in half and topstitch three sides), and the whole thing is crocking dye on my hands, even though it's synthetic and has no excuse. What the fuck.
>>
>>6238520
Damn anon got any pics? I own more Volks sets than outfits from any other company because the quality is always so much better.
>>
>>6238590
My Sheryl's Military Uniform has an embroidery on her hat. It is off-centered. Way to go Volks. Their QC is getting inconsistent.
>>
>>6238730
Do you think they might be sending their less-good stuff to the overseas stores?
>>
File: DSC_0001 (1).jpg (83KB, 650x975px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0001 (1).jpg
83KB, 650x975px
So after years of telling myself I have to make this guy a wig to get the look I want, I finally made his damn wig. Pretty pleased with. Referenced Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal for the style, haha.
>>
>>6238775
>Referenced Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal for the style
Hypothetically speaking, how much would you charge for such a wig.
I'm getting increasingly frustrated trying to find a wig with in this style, but either the color is off, or it looks like a mushroom top and too long in the back, I've even tried adjusting one by cutting some off, using wig gel etc., but it's just not made to be any shorter and doesn't look the part.
>>
File: kagami.jpg (50KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
kagami.jpg
50KB, 533x800px
>>6238856
Man, I can honestly say that I have very little interest in doing wig commissions. Its a grueling, frustrating process, and while the wig looks good in pics its far from perfect. I can very much understand the price wig makers out there charge (at least $95+)

I can maybe instead point you toward someone who would probably do a better job if you can manage to commission them? Kagamidesign on etsy does a very nice short male wig in about the same style. Amadiz studio also does commissions but I have a feeling they are a tiny bit pricier than kagami.
>>
File: sophymolly.jpg (50KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
sophymolly.jpg
50KB, 570x428px
>>6238897
Back to add that Sophymolly on etsy also does decent short wigs. Not as smooth as others, but hers are capable of being styled in multiple ways, which is something the majority of these kinds of wigs can't without showing wigcap or ugly glue spots
>>
>>6238196
oh god it looks like it has a bunch of parasites burrowed into its face. Larva Host chan is not a kawaii look
>>
Volks made an announcement they'll be at Anime Matsuri (Houston). I'm pretty butthurt they chose that convention (the owners are already infamous in the lolita community) and just announced it, with the con being two weeks away.
>AM is also having a SeraMyu performance
JUST

>>6237695
Too shiny for me. I still use them for 1/6 scale customs, though

>>6238458
Dumb question, but does your doll have tabi feet/socks?
>>
File: 326s.jpg (110KB, 731x551px) Image search: [Google]
326s.jpg
110KB, 731x551px
>>6239251
Nope. They are just regular cotton socks that came with the outfit.

Those elastic bands simply slide around and off the heel no matter how far I pull them up past the heel/ankle on the back of the foot.

It seems like the bands stick better to resin because they don't slide off when I put the shoe on bare resin. It only happens with any sort of leg wear.
>>
>>6238908
Didn't know they made Ellen Degeneres dolls!
>>
>>6238196
Fucking hell. Yes, Bomi is expensive as fuck and limited. She's my fucking grail so this is really painful to look at.
>>
Wait, what could stop me from simply taking a normal wig apart and using it's hair to make a doll wig?
>>
>>6239539
Comparing my hiperlon cosplay wigs to doll wigs, the doll wefts have a narrower sewn edge and consequently less bulk where they are attached to the cap. Would probably look weird and lumpy assembled at smaller sizes, especially as you got to the crown.
>>
File: NataliaChurch2.jpg (3MB, 3466x2228px) Image search: [Google]
NataliaChurch2.jpg
3MB, 3466x2228px
>>6238775
Christ I guess I'm gay now
>>
>>6239299
Okay, stupid question, what happens if you just slip the foot through the clear band and let the band cross the foot, instead of trying to make it work in the back?
I assumed they used a clear band so that you can do it that way without the band being overly visible.
Don't get why the band should be at the back then.

Else I agree that they probably work best on the tabi feet.
>>
>>6239804
I agree they might work better on tabi feet socks but the doll's great toe is attached to the next toe. All the toes are fused together.
>>
>>6239910
No, not tabi socks, I really mean the extra tabi feet Volks sells.
>>
>>6239754
Dia used to be a girl mold, if it comforts you.
>>
File: DSC_0002 (1).jpg (78KB, 650x885px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002 (1).jpg
78KB, 650x885px
>>6239754
be gentle, anon. he's delicate like a flower. <3
>>
File: 02012171513.jpg (60KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
02012171513.jpg
60KB, 480x640px
I was looking at wigs on Mandarake for my DD and I'm usually only into DDs, but I saw this doll that they were modelling wigs on and fell in love. Can anyone ID this head mold and what company? I don't know much about resin dolls, thanks in advance.
>>
>>6240701
This is a Volks Yu Morisawa. She was a limited edition girl, so she's a bit pricey on the second hand market. Usually $1000 USD+
>>
File: 20170121_022223.png (257KB, 768x688px) Image search: [Google]
20170121_022223.png
257KB, 768x688px
>>6240950
What the fuck
>>
>>6240987
You're into DDs, so you should be used to seeing outrageous prices.
>>
>>6240950
>>6240994
Thank you. This >>6240987 isn't me, and I'm very used to the prices.
>>
>>6240701
>Yu Morisawa
Was curious and checked Mandarake and stumbled upon the 1:6 Azone doll and it's fucking 80k Yen! What the hell
https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1043850196
>>
>>6241635
800 bucks for a 1/6 scale? /raises eyebrow
>>
Are there SD/1:3 scale dollhouses?
I am wondering how huge those would be.
>>
>>6241649
That doesn't surprise me one bit, to be honest. Don't underestimate the Azone collaboration limited releases.
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
43KB, 600x480px
A grail doll, which is really only a grail because of it's fullset, has come up for sale.
I've already recently taken out of my savings twice recently to buy doll shit, but at the same time I haven't seen this full set for sale in years and god only knows if/when I will see it again.

Do I do it /toy/?
>>
>>6241975
Yes
>>
>>6241975
How many grail dolls do you have? If this is IT and the only one grail, then buy it. You'll feel fulfillment and closure.
>>
>>6241718
Maybe larger than a dog house. Or your house, but 1/3 the size.
>>
File: footsd-sd13SM.jpg (17KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
footsd-sd13SM.jpg
17KB, 400x300px
>>6239910
These niggas right here. They call 'em tabi feet. They allow their dolls to wear sandals/flipflops/thongs (whatever the fuck your region calls them, because it differs) like that. I have some on my FCS MSD doll, although I don't have any use for them. They don't really impede fitting in normal shoes either. I don't think they make them for DDs, though.

If you bought for a doll from another company, a couple do have optional feet like that for their dolls, but it's pretty rare.

>>6241975
May as well, anon. Do it.
>>
>>6242030
Eh. I have a few "very high priority"/likes, but this is the only limited/fullset one.
>>6241984
>>6242056
/toy/ has spoken, may the gods smile upon me when the auction ends while I'm at work.
>>
File: DSCF6648.jpg (1018KB, 1224x816px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6648.jpg
1018KB, 1224x816px
My grail doll..

I have never regretted the purchase. Or rather the opposite, every time I see her I think to myself, 'dang, that was the best purchase ever! I can't believe I really got her!'.

I doubt I could say the same if I was looking at the pile of money instead.
>>
>>6242109
I know that feeling. I got my grail doll a few years ago and then the company released a super limited SDM version about a year after.

Welp. Another one to add. Thanks, Volks. Any I've seen pop up under 10k yen have always had bad financial timing.
>>
File: sweet day louis.png (408KB, 596x446px) Image search: [Google]
sweet day louis.png
408KB, 596x446px
>>6242063
>>6242109
>>6242143
Both your grails are beautiful.
Also, I won the auction. Thanks for the help /toy/!
>>
>>6242930
Congrats, anon!
The problem with fullsets is it's often harder to find one not missing parts or damaged.
>>
>>6239539
Type of hair, weft thickness as >>6239562 brought up, and your own personal skills. I've done it before but some wefts are chunkier than others and it takes some experimenting to get the right spacing. Specialty cosplay wigs (as in from a dedicated cosplay manufacturer) tend to be thicker, where wigs meant to look like natural hair for daily wear will sometimes be finer.
>>
>>6241718
A friend built out some 1/3 labyrinth sets in her spare room once for a photoshoot, they were massive. The walls were about hip height so she had to use a stool when getting in and out during the shoot.
>>
>>6243563
Can I see the pics of said shoot anon? I love anything labyrinth and 1/3rd size sounds amazing.
>>
>>6233947
Now I would love to see some Borderlands-esque face-up on one of those dolls (or any doll), with matching clothes.
>>
File: 875434.png (19KB, 838x335px) Image search: [Google]
875434.png
19KB, 838x335px
Wait, this is not the first time I read this, but is it really true? Even after crawling through lots of Kazakai (or Joji) drama threads on other boards I can't find any proof for this.

Isn't Elfgutz in Australia too?
>>
File: migidoll01.png (692KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
migidoll01.png
692KB, 450x600px
I have a Migidoll Ryu that I want to get rid of, but I'm not into the hobby at all so have no idea how much to ask/where to try and sell. Anyone have any advice?
>>
File: cosmic_castaway_by_hiritai.jpg (261KB, 753x500px) Image search: [Google]
cosmic_castaway_by_hiritai.jpg
261KB, 753x500px
>>6244037
Try Facebook selling groups, probably the easiest way when you don't have access to forum marketplaces and don't know anyone in the community.

Is his face-up from the company?
Is he clean? Does he have any damages, uneven yellowing etc.? Do you have box and/or certificate?
Is the doll still available? If not, is it highly sought after?
All those things influence the price.

Best is you take the price you paid for him and aim for a little lower, if he's in really good condition with papers and stuff. Deduct the more is missing/the worse his state is.
However, Ryu is not sold anymore from Migi, so maybe you are lucky to find a very interested person.

Sad you let him go.
So many fond memories of Ryu, first doll love ten years ago.
>>
>>6243828
They're two different people. There's a Gutterface thread on lolcow's snow board if you want to look that up. These days, GF apparently sells jewelry made from the bones of dead animals they've killed themselves (allegedly found but let's be real).

>https://www.instagram.com/thevultureprince/

I've given you the location of where you can find the drama thread, so let's not shit this one up with bjd drama.

>>6244037
>>6244073
I'm also seconding Facebook groups. If you're even remotely near a large city, there's a BJD sales group near you. I actually usually price it a little more than it's worth but say I'm willing to negotiate. Buyer thinks they're getting a great deal when I cut the price down $50-$100 and I sell my doll for the price I actually wanted to sell it for.
>>
>>6244256
That's exactly one of the threads I crawled through to find information on this. As far as I know the two aren't even in the same country, but I've seen that claim several times now and I just wanted a firm “nope, not true“.
No clue why that Tumblr person keeps bringing that up though.
>>
>>6243828
Nope. Kaz hasn't set foot in the hobby for at least 5 or 6 years at this point.

I guess they both enjoy a gross pastel-punk-gore aesthetic, but being the same person? that's completely incorrect info that person pulled out of their ass.
>>
I need some faceup help.
I am having a super hard time with little teeth and painting them to look nice without smearing the lip blush or the lines of the mouth around them... hopefully that made sense.
maybe its the brush im using? the paint? i dont really know.
>>
>>6245075
What kind of head are you trying to paint anon?
It's a difficult thing to do, even as a skilled artist.
I personally hate it with a passion too.

What you can do:
first, make sure the lips are blushed pretty much done, sealed and protected. Don't try to paint the teeth together with the lips, you will certainly have to wipe or fix something and that's impossible without touching the lips.
Make sure there have been a few layers of sealant between finishing the lips and starting the teeth.
You can paint the lip lines after finishing the teeth (again, don't forget to seal), that way they won't get icky when you have to wipe paint.

You can use masking tape to minimize the amount of visible lips.
Works really great with those sticking out vampire fangs, you can apply the tape really close to them and even if you slip you won't touch the lips at all.
In case the teeth are inside an open mouth you can still tape a little, to avoid touching the lips with your brush when aiming for the teeth inside.
Best masking tape to avoid accidentally ripping of sealant/fuzzy edges was for me the one from Tamiya. It's sticky enough to stay on, but not strong enough to rip off MSC or completely dried airbrushed layers.
If you are afraid it's too sticky apply and remove it a few times from the back of your hand.

Use thin layers of paint, feel free to do it in more than one layer too.
That way you avoid getting a glob of thick paint on the lips that is way harder to remove than some thinned down version of it.

I think that's it. As said, it's not an easy thing to do and it's even more difficult when you want more realism and not just bright white teeth.
>>
File: s_m_o_k_e_by_gutterface-d3ixvt3.jpg (40KB, 800x544px) Image search: [Google]
s_m_o_k_e_by_gutterface-d3ixvt3.jpg
40KB, 800x544px
>>6243828
>>6244256
They're not. I don't know what the strawberryblahblah person is on about. Kazakai was about menustral blood, not glitter.
>>
Anyone have a favorite go-to for slim mini (Unoa/Minifee) shoes? I like quality, not mimiwoo-esque cheapos.

My doll's style is kinda larme or lolita. Sort of like pic related, but without the lace mess at the top.
>>
>>6245090
I think the mistake I was making was trying to do the teeth first and blush around them, erasing the overlap with a kneaded eraser.
But the head I was recently working on was an LLT Edria, and while i got it to look decent in the end, its still not where I want it to be.
I will try doing them very last this time! Thanks for the advice!
>>
File: IMG_0574.jpg (58KB, 800x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0574.jpg
58KB, 800x1440px
Ohayo~
>>
>>6246237
Moritime has cute shoes.However, I bought a MSD pair secondhand and they're HUGE, even on my unoa feet, but fit nicely with 2 pairs of socks on.
>>
>>6232475
i think theres still a possibility for modded recast. maybe they shoved shit on the cheeks and sanded the eyebrows down
>>
>>6232777
maybe you should change the faceup on the right one so that the eyeliner comes up from the bottom lash, or change the angle of the eyebrows, it might be the droopiness that makes it look weird
>>
File: il_570xN.893104769_7ef3.jpg (132KB, 570x782px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.893104769_7ef3.jpg
132KB, 570x782px
>>6246573
Thanks for your suggestion! I think my doll could get by with wearing extra socks if necessary.

These are really cute, but it's a shame they are out of beige, white, or pink right now. I'll have to keep checking back for restocks, but this is still in the right direction! I used to really love Dollheart shoes, but their site is kinda whacked and their MSD shoes were a bit too wide.
>>
>>6232475
I second this >>6246589 anon. Considering the forehead wrinkles are completely gone, they sanded the roger and achieved that look. Even with all the things they added to the face it definitely looks like roger even from the side. They probably destroyed iple's head cap and back of the head and changed it to their own hence why the proportions are completely off.

>>6246319
Fucking wow!
>>
>>6246635
Naw, I think what happened most likely is that they sat down and tried to copy him by sculpting.

They only looked at a front shot and tried their best to get their front view to look the same, while putting no thought into the rest.
Like some people do 3D models that look good from one angle and totally fucked from any other.
It's not that difficult to nail just the flat front view.

On owner pictures the Roger look is a lot less obvious too.
If that's honestly a modified recast it's a total mess and was barely worth going through all that trouble.
Why bother recasting something when it still looks like...well, this?
>>
File: zxc.png (398KB, 497x659px) Image search: [Google]
zxc.png
398KB, 497x659px
>>6246924
>Why bother recasting something when it still looks like...well, this?
Dude, this is Mirodoll we're talking about here. They have no standards. They're the same people who think it's acceptable to sell this abomination in the pic attached to the public.

It's just a theory that they recasted it, but if they did I believe the reason they did significant changes to the Roger is because to hide tracks. They are very active DoA and their sales come from the loyal pro-artist/ani-recast individuals who can't afford more expensive dolls. If they get banned on there or get blacklisted from the community, their entire business will tank.
>>
File: pinhead.jpg (37KB, 400x281px) Image search: [Google]
pinhead.jpg
37KB, 400x281px
>>6247085
>>
>>6247085
Which is why the trouble of recasting something makes even less sense.
Risk of losing their customer base AND it still looks like shit anyway?
No reason to go through the trouble.

I do still think they copy heavily but just really suck at it.
>>
File: SAM_9085.png (2MB, 800x1120px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_9085.png
2MB, 800x1120px
>>6245075
Just to add to what >>6245090 said, I do the sealing of the finished lips first, and then coat it in gloss before painting the teeth layer. This is mostly because it's so much easier to clean the white paint off if you do mess up.
>>
>>6243604
She posted them on DoA, but it was a few years back so I'm not sure where or if the links are still active.
>>
So I joined the public bjd chat on Kik and it's as expected, a few cute dolls and st least one recast owner trying to justify themselves ("well I can only afford $150 right now, I can't wait a whole month to afford that legit!"). Is there some decent private doll chats?
>>
>>6247645
What's even the point of "doll chats"?
>>
File: salt on the news.png (1MB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
salt on the news.png
1MB, 1024x684px
>>6247645
There's a discord, but it's filled with a lot of crybabies ranting about personal problems that are not doll related.
>>
>>6247666
To...talk...about dolls?
Honestly, don't get why this is difficult to understand. People talk about new releases, customizing, artists they want to share, they show their works and own dolls.
Same like any other hobby related chats.

>>6247893
Too true. I look into it once in a while but I just don't care about who is depressed or has family problems or whatever.
>>
What are some cool smiling doll sculpts? I'm looking into buying my first and i would love to have a smiling girl
>>
So I purchased another of my first doll but in a LE skin tone. I'm super excited. See, I have my original, but I was evicted from my home as a young teen and in the scramble to get out of the home I lost her headcap and never got it back. This doll, which I've never seen more than one or two of in this skin color, is also missing parts. Together I have one full doll between them.
I also have mold making and casting abilities. I am going to make molds from their shared points and recast them. Together both can be whole again. I'm really excited about this. We are talking about dolls who have been discontinued since 2003.
does BJD think this is cool (reviving broken and old dolls) or am I a shitty recaster who should die in a fire?
>>
>>6248108
We're not a hivemind. Everyone is going to have varying opinions. I think it's a dumb idea, personally. Forget the recast thing for a second. There's a 99% chance your doll is going to look like shit. Keep those expectations low and you won't be disappointed, though. Take photos if you can. I am actually interested to see how it turns out.

Northeastern anons- I'm going to be in Baltimore next week. Are there any cool doll places around the area that I can stop by? I wasn't able to find anything online, but I'm not sure if I just suck at searching for these sorts of things.
>>
>>6248165
Oh I know, I expected various opinions.

I don't know why you think it will look like shit, a headcap won't be seen. The other missing parts are fantasy parts in alternative resin colors so I have no resin matching needed. I've cast some art dolls before without a problem so the actual process shouldn't be too hard and I know what quality of output I can expect. I think it's pretty interesting, just like repairing any old toy. I'm just wondering if I should share my process or if I'll get a bunch of hate mail.
>>
>>6248175
Discontinued since 2003 AND fantasy parts?
What kind of doll are you talking about?
I get fixing the headcap thing, but is the other doll really incomplete (as in, unusable due to missing parts)?

As long as you don't sell it, it's more or less no problem.
I still feel a little meh about it, because what stops others to do the same with different context?
Have a body with “missing“ head, ask friend to borrow me their head, make recast, boom “repaired“. Or I want that full-set Soom while mine is human only and just copy someones parts again.
Dunno, just feels like opening another excuse door for the more crafty people.

If you are worried to receive hate, either don't do it or don't post it.
>>
>>6248175
>hate mail
Where were you wanting to post if? If it's here, it's completely anonymous. You could always make a new tumblr just for this if that's where you were wanting to post the process. No need to attach your identity to everything you make.

I do agree with >>6248188 though. It is sketchy as hell. The fact that you've recasted art dolls is also pretty...eh. I really can't those French artists for not selling internationally with people like you running around.
>>
>>6248188
It's an old MSD. The more complete I ne is missing ears (literally-they had no ears. Holes in the side of the head)

It's pretty financially irresponsible to recast parts- it's expensive for casting materials. But I've been actively looking for about three years and it's not an expensive doll by any means ($130 for this incomplete one) but they hardly ever come up for sale.
No worries! I'm going to do it. Just wondering if I post it anywhere. I really enjoy repairing other toys. I've recast parts for other toy lines before but none that have ever been so controversial.
>>
>>6248192
I've castes art dolls I've made before, not recanted French artist art dolls. More like ooak pieces for my own enjoyment, sculpted by me.
>>
>>6248207
I really want to see this if you don't mind sharing here.
>>
File: tumblr_mgrwp4OaY71rhqwlzo1_.jpg (103KB, 457x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgrwp4OaY71rhqwlzo1_.jpg
103KB, 457x640px
>>6248204
>It's pretty financially irresponsible to recast parts- it's expensive for casting materials.

It really depends on the doll in question and how good you want your recasted part to be, if or how you get access to the part you want to copy to "repair" etc.
I bet recasting a friend's Williams head for your SD17 body is a lot cheaper than trying to get the real head, without having to feel bad that you gave a recaster money.
As said, it's just a really shady thing because you open that door for people because pro-recast people already latch onto every stupid excuse they can get.

I did recast some parts myself, but for extreme modding purposes (i.e. so extreme, the base part is barely visible anymore) and if the doll gets sold, the buyer gets the complete and legit doll and my part goes into the bin. It also always was a boring part like an upper arm piece.
I just didn't want to destroy a piece on a doll I might not keep.

>It's an old MSD. The more complete I ne is missing ears (literally-they had no ears. Holes in the side of the head)

Didn't you say the mostly complete one is missing the headcap?
If it's the ears, and it's an MSD, I assume it's one of those ye olde Volks dolls with changeable ears? Highly doubt those never ever crop up at all and is worth buying a full new doll for instead.
And what is the other doll missing?

I can understand what you are going for to a certain point.
At least when a) the part stays with you and b) you do not copy something to make something you otherwise wouldn't own at all.
Your case does not meet b) to me, because making yourself two dolls instead of one (even though I still don't get how incomplete doll 2 really is and if all that was necessary) is really a little "eeeeeh" to me.
For you it's just a part, the next person makes himself a second MNF because they already got an unused event head/parts and can copy a body from their first one.
>>
>>6248242
Maybe I'll share some photos then!
>>6248257
The complete one has no ears. The incomplete one is missing a headcap and some body parts but I am going to buy a new body. There is no chance of getting just a headcap, I've looked. And for the ears, I've seen elf ones come up once in the last two years. I saw a wtb go up unanswered for about a year for the wing ears, but I'm after the cat ears, which I already own. It doesn't help that one of the dolls is a fcs in sunlight skin, which means the skin-look ears won't work.
It was a hard enough time getting the abs pegs that they use to keep the ears in. I have a pack but they wear out over time and need replaced.
>>
>>6247949
Dollits Miso, unoa wink plates or roron/lilin, Minifee Juri.. 2011? Those are all cute MSD-range ones.
>>
File: FantasiaCanary.png (570KB, 597x698px) Image search: [Google]
FantasiaCanary.png
570KB, 597x698px
>>6247949
>>
>>6248347
Holy heck thats some scary stuff
>>
>>6248108
personaly its sounds fun and you are pretty set on it but like >>6248165 said it is likely to not turn out great but you could manage something good if you take your time and get good knowledge of what you are doing,as is with most things. I would also like to see pics.
>>
>>6247893
Its never active when I can be on anyways, but yeah its largely whining, and usually really personal stuff that ensures silence for a few hours due to no one wanting to be the person to change the subject.
>>6247666
Same purpose as a doll board but faster paced. I'm just kind of hungry for doll collector interaction since the local group is ehhh.
>>
>>6248108
I personally don't consider it recasting if its personal use only. I've considered casting certain parts from my own dolls for extreme mods, so I don't have to go through the hassle of tracking down a spare forearm from companies that do not sell them separately for the purpose of completely butchering it. Obviously these spare parts would get trashed should I ever sell the doll.
>>
>>6248808
>Same purpose as a doll board but faster paced. I'm just kind of hungry for doll collector interaction since the local group is ehhh.
Exactly! I'm too wary of groups other than my local one. I actually enjoy my local one. The dolls aren't the greatest but everyone is a really nice person both online and off. It's also serious on the no drama. It only moves as fast as a Facebook group can, though. I'd like something more active too. I don't want to hear about so and so's depression, anxiety, gender dysphoria, horrible financial situation that they need donations for, etc. I just want to talk about dolls.

I'd suggest a /toy/ exclusive one but /cgl/ tried that with their artist alley group. It took about .5 seconds for tumblr to show up and shit it up.
>>
>>6248892
Maybe this will be different considering how the tumblr BJD community thinks of this place.

I honestly wouldn't mind a /toy/ one though.
>>
>>6248908
/cgl/ has a similar reputation, if not worse. That didn't stop anyone. Would you guys be okay with some sort of screening process to get an invite to the Discord? I'll use a throwaway e-mail and you can use one too. It would just be a way to curb the cancer.
>>
>>6248942
How would such a screening process go? By what metric would you decide who gets in or not?
>>
>>6249036
I was thinking something like gender (gotta pick one), age (over 18), whether or not your dolls look like shit, one social media name for a quick background check and make sure I'm not letting in some drama starter from social media I don't use without realizing it. I know I would prefer a non-recast owner group but I'd leave that up to /toy/. I don't mind letting recast owners in as long as they're not the annoying victim complex kind you usually run into.
>>
File: IMG_1918.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1918.png
2MB, 750x1334px
I did find another MSD for sale. Somehow I don't think the seller is highly motivated though. (Or maybe just out of touch with reality...)
>>
Fiber wigs disappoint me, and I love the look of mohair but want something cruelty free. Am I just going to have to settle or is there something cruelty free that isn't fiber?
>>
>>6249897
Are you not in favor of Alpaca? Most alpaca are raised for fiber and sheared not killed for their fleece. Many stores on etsy are farms just recooping their animal costs. Sometime they will even have cute pictures of their alpacas and you can see how happy and taken care of they are. If you diy it is very affordable.

Source: I'm friends with an alpaca farmer who loves each one like a pet dog and likes to go on and on about what snacks they like, what kind of mischief they get into, etc.
>>
Whatdo you anons think of the Spiritdoll Proud male body? I've seen it is quite popular for hybriding but I want to know is worth it or should I look for better bodies?
>>
>>6249897
Synthetic mohair wigs
>>
>>6249944
The body was for the longest my "do want" body in the slimmer, yet beefy (i.e. not Iplehouse EID like) 70cm range.

I got mine a bit over a year ago and I have to say I love it to bits.
Aesthetically very pleasing, fits into the "uncle" size clothes you can get all over Taobao, stands like a rock and overall poses nicely.
He is very tightly strung though and doesn't change poses smoothly.
He has a shitton of locks in his joint sockets, which helps keeping a pose but you need some force to change it.
Like his upper arms can't just be rotated/lifted into a different angle.
You need to pull them out slightly, change the pose and then put them back into the socket. The locks are ridiculously strong.
Also extra dicks included, even though I never use them.
Their NS is pretty close to Volks NS and thus great for hybrids.

I love that body so much I refuse to sell it, even though the head it was intended for has long been sold and I have no other rolling head for it.

>>6249897
Synthetic mohair and faux fur if you want to completely stay away from natural fibers at all.
Soy and some other plant fibers are getting more popular too, you can use those if you want natural but not animal.
However, they are too fine and in my opinion age badly.
The Frapzilla soy wigs for example tend to turn into a mess quickly, it looks super dry and is waaay too fine (i.e. lots of flyaways).

If you want animal fibers/wigs made with them, look for ones that are not made with fibers that are still on the skin.
Especially the big curly mohair wigs tend to be leather pieces sewn together with hair still attached. They often fit badly too.

Else I agree with the other anon, look for alpaca or angora sold by small farms.
They have no need to kill their animals and usually take great care for them, since they need to be alive and well to be regularly sheared. Some of them sell already washed and processed fibers too (less work for you).
>>
File: 14725262576_5e853dbb91_o.jpg (273KB, 550x822px) Image search: [Google]
14725262576_5e853dbb91_o.jpg
273KB, 550x822px
>>6249860
What a difference proper styling and photos makes (see pic attached).

Honestly doubt some old Volks FCS is worth that much though.
>>
>>6249860
did... did he put animetic eyes in that MSD sculpt?
>>
>>6249897
What's wrong with heat resistant fiber? I find them superior to everything except for well-made mohair wigs, which are kind of a pain in the ass to get since the styles/colors are limited unless you commission.
>>
File: 9591228627_72a6954800_b.jpg (204KB, 678x1024px) Image search: [Google]
9591228627_72a6954800_b.jpg
204KB, 678x1024px
>>6250304
Yeah.

With some non-DD/anime heads it can actually look pretty cute if you give them a fitting face-up and animetic eyes.
It's just pretty difficult because for smaller sizes are barely any animetic eyes available, and the head needs to be more cartoony/simple for the whole aesthetic to work.

Some of my small critter/pet dolls have animetic eyes in, but getting them in something like 14mm or even smaller is a pain.
>>
>>6250305
Not the same anon, but for me:
Limited amount of styles, especially for male dolls, and doesn't work well for realism.

Unless you want something smooth and straight most fiber wigs just don't cut it, it gets worse the shorter the wig is.
For guys all you can have with heat-resisting is regular bishonen or K-Pop dude look.
And at least for me heat-resisting always either looks like obvious doll or cosplay (on heads with more realism).
I like my dolls to look like they don't wear a wig, if that makes sense.
>>
>>6250289

That's not a FCS even, it was a LE/Standard (Introduced as LE, didn't sell out, was available online on their webstore until about 2001? I think? it's been a long time.) There's no way that it's worth it.

>>6250304
It was pretty common to put animetics in these MSDs, they used to sell them at all sizes from Volks. It works better on Shinisa/Misia for sure.

Here's a dip in my 'inspo' folder for this mold. Nasia is the same as Myu/Maggie/Sakura just without ears.
>>
File: 14217890140_39be7feb43_b.jpg (128KB, 550x822px) Image search: [Google]
14217890140_39be7feb43_b.jpg
128KB, 550x822px
>>6250319
I actually just had a photo on there I double checked, wtf where did it go. OK.
>>
>>6250319
I assumed Nasia = F-11?
http://www.angelden.net/fcs/heads/msd-f11.html
>>
File: Capture.png (287KB, 432x362px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
287KB, 432x362px
>>6250321

Oh yeah, but I guess I meant that they didn't go to the effort of getting someone in Japan to order. At the time Nasia was available for order online easily, but getting a FCS was much much more difficult then. It was a big 'status symbol'.

Speaking of my stroll down memory lane, in searching for more images I found someone who posted this on Flickr. This person received her doll in 2002 and uploaded this as an 'old photo' in 2007. This is what the hobby was for me back in 2001-2003- I'm pretty sure this is a film camera. Used to take photos on a disposable and scan them in to post on DoA.
>>
>>6250324
I always feel a little old with my starting point 07/08, but it's crazy how much longer some people have been with this hobby and still are.

And some people whine how difficult it is to get a BJD.
I remember friends who also were there since 2001, sitting at the bank trying to wire money to S. Korea for crazy fees.
Now everone has nice websites, Paypal and speaks better English on top.

I sometimes miss the old days.
Or better, the old days community wise; the lack of choices, quality and the difficulty sucked.
Also no widespread recasts.
I feel sorry for everyone who came in post recast, post Tumblr confession blogs.
>>
File: Untitled.png (71KB, 196x241px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
71KB, 196x241px
Jesus Christ How Horrifying
>>
>>6250310
Those barely resemble animetic eyes though; if you weren't "in the know" you wouldn't know they were supposed to be "anime-style" vs. "non-anime"
>>
>>6250318
Yeah I can see the lack of variety being a pain. Crobidoll does make a few really nice short guy wigs though, without the k-pop rat rail back and obnoxious bangs. I've had one of their short blond wigs on my SD guy for over a year. I usually change wigs a few times a year but I just love it so much I can't bare to change it
>>
>>6250369
They don't look like regular eyes either though.
What's not animetic about them?

>>6250371
Crobi is alright, but heat-resisting is just not made for "hairstyles that don't touch the face".
You can only cut the hair so short before the net is visible or it looks like some weird monk cut.
>>
>>6250377
The rounded shape and colorless pupils separate them from most animetic eyes, which are oblong and contain the details normally seen in anime (thus the name animetic)
>>
>>6250402
There are a lot of colorless pupils with animetic eyes though. At least if you mean colorless as in, no defined dark, filled out pupil.
Volks sells quite a few of those themselves, same for the ones with completely round iris shape.
>>
>>6250418
Yeah but I think you're being facetious - you know what I mean. There are resin eyes that are non-animetic but look like those stylized animetic eyes in the pic, and there are animetic eyes that look more rounded and less cartooney than the ones in the defiled MSD pic.
>>
>>6250425
I think it's the same for you.
Going "this doesn't look animetic, because animetic looks X", even though lots of animetic eyes do not look like X is just silly.
I just picked a quick picture from Flickr to show that animetic eyes, whatever the style, and animetic face-up style can work on regular resin BJDs to a certain degree.
Heck, I don't even think they look that bad on the Nasia.
>>
>>6250425
>>6250428

Volks used to display animetic eyes on this mold all the time
>>
>>6250432
And all of their MSDs, really.
>>
File: papika shock.jpg (493KB, 987x1080px) Image search: [Google]
papika shock.jpg
493KB, 987x1080px
>>6250433
>>6250432
jesus christ how horrifying!
>>
>>6250432
>>6250433
>all the time
This is patently false. After several years of never putting animetic eyes in resin dolls, there was one post on the VolksUSA blog about the possibility of using them in non-DD dolls, for which they took several pictures. Subsequently, they added those pictures to the listings for animetic dolls.

That, and a couple of resin boys dressed as Fate and Macross characters for photo ops at DD events, are literally the only times they ever put animetic eyes in their resins.
>>
>>6250839
>animetic dolls
Animetic eyes i mean
>>
>>6249860
She's retired and maybe a little bit hard to find, but absolutely not worth that much. I would recommend if you're interested in buying an MSD you go on Mandarake, secondhand standard (and commoner FCS) Mini Super Dollfies galore often for under ~200.
>>
So does nobody run group orders on DoA anymore? I really need a set of arms from dollmore but ems shipping is outrageous for such a tiny item.
>>
File: DSCF6833.jpg (551KB, 967x804px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6833.jpg
551KB, 967x804px
>>6250839

>That, and a couple of resin boys dressed as Fate and Macross characters for photo ops at DD events, are literally the only times they ever put animetic eyes in their resins.

Any pics of those?
>>
File: 1459876237193.png (399KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1459876237193.png
399KB, 600x450px
>>6247949
Elfdoll Barbara :^)

>>6248108
Some people will still wave the noose in front of you for doing it. Honestly, I've been considering doing the same thing with some stuff I have because finding the parts I want to mod are impossible to find secondhand without paying a lot of $$$.

>>6248204
>>6248271
Reeeeee this is a similar situation I'm in. Motherfucking Volks, why don't you fucking sell your FCS ears online? It shouldn't even be that hard.
I'm looking for the long elf ears, which nobody ever wants to let go of. I've considered having a SS do a FCS order for me and order extra ears with and it and sell the other doll, but I know it would be a huge loss.

>>6249256
Fair enough for me.

>>6250839
They've been putting them in there since before VolksUSA was a thing. I'm not sure why this is an argument. It went both ways.

>>6251061
I have not seen any lately. I wouldn't mind getting some small things from them too.
>>
File: 20170218_154633-1000x1333.jpg (470KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_154633-1000x1333.jpg
470KB, 1000x1333px
What's that?
>>
File: 20170218_154605-1000x1333.jpg (336KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_154605-1000x1333.jpg
336KB, 1000x1333px
>>6251795
A little doll store?
>>
File: 20170218_154432-1333x1000.jpg (292KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_154432-1333x1000.jpg
292KB, 1333x1000px
>>6251799
neat
>>
>>6251799
>silicone bodies
We know who those are geared toward.
>>
Top fucking kek

>Ordered a half off Dollshe 18M Saint in September
>Still not here
>Another half off sale this month

I'm not even mad, but what the fuck, Dollshe
>>
>>6251954
Cash is tight.
Spent all the money.
Need more $ to ackchually make the dolls now.
>>
>>6249256
I'd also be up for it. Gimme dat throwaway, I'm so sick of talking to 15 year olds trying to squeeze their suspiciously off color minifees into toyline clothes.
>>
Anyone know know wtf happened to dollho bodys? I cant find any for sale anywhere anymore.
>>
>>6252876
Ask the onahole thread on /jp/, you degenerate.
>>
>>6251789
I know the pro artist side of things will be like "Instead of recasting ears why not just sculpt new ones from scratch and cast those ones instead of being a thief" but that's not always the best option.

Honestly though as long as you don't claim your recasted parts are yours and you don't profit from making them then just fucking do it.
>>
>>6252960
Genuine question, not trying to start a fight.
The money it would cost to recast the ears including buying moulding materials and resin, mould release agent, test casts/mould remaking if the first mould isn't good - when all that adds up, wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to commission someone to make a nice pair for you rather than recasting for yourself?
>>
>>6253061
It would be cheaper to get them commissioned by someone who already has the supplies, but that's assuming you can find someone who offers that as a service. I haven't seen anyone making replacement ears yet.
>>
>>6252960
>>6253061
>>6253315

I can tell you that I have tried to sculpt ears before, but it's difficult to fit them in the peg hole on these heads. They require some pretty precise fitting because they rely on tension to be fitted. Even recast shrinkage which is all things considered fairly minor may impact the fit-- which I plan to remedy with a layer of pledge if needed.

In so far as cost, it's somewhat lessened when you take into account I also want to replicate a headcap which makes up much more material. I have used a clay sculpted headcap, but it's bulky/heavy.

The other angle is mostly considering how you look at it. If I got someone to make OOAK ears, I could have a doll with OOAK ears. Maybe some kind of 'story' or 'uniqueness'. But that's not what I'm after. I'm after repairing a doll that I've owned for 15 years. When you think of it more as repairing it to what it once was, I think it makes a little more sense? Because it's not forming something new, it's trying to restore it to what it was.
>>
>>6253345
But it's still not the original ears though?
They are a home made copy, doesn't matter if the mold was casted off the original part, sculpted yourself or whatever.
>>
>>6253434
No, but it gives the impression. To me it's not much different than reproduction pieces say, recast barbie shoes. As these dolls get older and older there's going to be less ability to get original pieces.

That's just my point of view though, anyone is free to disagree. I wonder what Volks would think? I lean towards thinking they would be ok with it, because my impression is it's fairly common to recast garage model kits if they're very hard to find or 'out of print' and that's where Volks started. But I could be wrong. Either way I'm not selling pieces and I'm not too concerned about it.
>>
>>6253460
>I wonder what Volks would think?
Buy our NEW stuff at each event.
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (101KB, 650x1202px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
101KB, 650x1202px
I never thought it would happen, someone actually responded to my WTB for a non muscle feeple60 boy body. And now, finally, after some modding, my faggy boy is complete (with the bonus if looking less girly and clothes fitting better as well as less of a color mismatch.) You can see his neck is lighter where it was sanded, but fuck it, for now I'm super happy. He stands like a rock, and poses like a dream.
>>
>>6253763
>that pear on the chair in the bg
why
>>
>>6253800
maybe he'll stick it up his butt
>>
>>6253800
its a dried out birdhouse gourd. i meant to cut it open and make a little fairy bedroom or something in it for my realpuki but i haven't gotten around to it.
>>
>>6249256
I admit, I'm a little cynical of how enforceable this would be, but sure. If you can make it work, anon, I can get on board with this.
>>
>>6253829
Sorry, but >>6253806 replied first and now I believe them more.
>>
File: 33267492840_72eca46ea0_c.jpg (106KB, 767x800px) Image search: [Google]
33267492840_72eca46ea0_c.jpg
106KB, 767x800px
Miro at it again
>>
>>6253967
Ew
>>
>>6253967
This can't be real.
>>
>>6253967
Wait, I thought Sicktress was the one sculpting this?
>>
File: swanddzzzz.png (450KB, 646x483px) Image search: [Google]
swanddzzzz.png
450KB, 646x483px
Coz she's SOO CLOSSEEto 6000 subs, right?
>>
>>6253763
it's kind of my dream to buy something from you when my money allows and when you have something I like
>>
>>6247443
What type of doll is this? I think its cute.
>>
>>6254282
Aw thanks, anon. Maybe one day, I do have heads and things lined up for sale but I've just been too lazy to do faceups. I have a chicline head I need to paint, a sleeping unoa lusis faceplate, and a withdoll elf vera which I'll be selling as a whole doll (once i finish the chest mods from female to super girly male.) And I'll be selling my dollshe arsene head once I get him, whenever the hell that will be.
>>
>>6247893
Holy shit, Nana-chan
I'm so glad people saved my dibshit meme, haven't been to /bjd/ in ages
>>
>>6254397
I saved all I found. Nana-chan's a treasure to humanity.
>>
File: oy.png (851KB, 654x718px) Image search: [Google]
oy.png
851KB, 654x718px
>>6254252
She can fuck off after her recast bullshit. I love how after praising her cheap dolls for being masterpieces she's selling every single one of them one by one to replace them with expensive dolls. Hypocrite cunt.
How the hell is she even affording a house mortgage with all these dolls if she's STILL jobless? bitch is a cam whore?
>>
>>6254401
Totally made my night, thank you anon. Long live Nana-chan
>>
File: tumblr_ocu0a1habp1trtjgao9_540.jpg (133KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ocu0a1habp1trtjgao9_540.jpg
133KB, 540x810px
>>6253061
>>6253315
Great points, anons.
I cannot sculpt things very well. I can get by when repairing minor stuff, like dents or cracks, but that's mostly because I know the base I am working on. Doing things from scratch are things I fail in. It's not the Volks ears *I* want to recast, but that's not a horrible idea now that I think about it.

>>6253967
jfc Miro, at least look at anatomical references.

>>6254397
Nana-chan is one of /bjd/'s best memes.
>>
>>6254419

Unless the ears are hand-sculpt then cast (adding sculptor time on top of material), they may be too heavy to stay in the head because of antiquated abs peg system. Unless you're looking for a small ear. Epoxy is heavy.
>>
How hard is it to make doll clothes? Do I need to buy patterns or is it fairly easy to make your own?
>>
>>6255157
The stitching part is easy. I find that hand stitching is much easier than fiddling with a sewing machine. The patterns are the hardest part. If you know how to make your own human patterns from scratch then it's easy. but if you don't know how to do that then you're going to cry a lot in frustration.
>>
>>6255171
Adding to this, if you have a Japanese doll (Unoa, Volks for resin; Dollfie Dream, Pullip, Blythe, Azone for other materials), you are in a lot of luck for patterns. The big doll magazines like Dolly Dolly and Dollybird will have patterns for your dolls. If you have a popular doll (read: Minifee), you'll still be able to get a good selection of patterns from the doll community. Everyone else gets to check Pinterest/flickr or make their own patterns.
>>
>>6254368
It's an April Story Rebecca (Sleeping Version), anon. April story is about to discontinue all their dolls again at the end of next month, so if you're willing to brave their customer service (though, honestly, mine wasn't as bad as other folks', so bad CX isn't 100% guaranteed), now's your chance to grab one.
>>
>>6255201
I have a Luts Kid Delf with the small bust. It is listed as MSD but I don't know if minifee stuff would be too slim.
>>
File: 32516761770_c407876fa3_o.jpg (526KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
32516761770_c407876fa3_o.jpg
526KB, 700x1050px
>>6255557
It probably is, Kid Delfs are pretty chunky compared to MNFs.

>>6254406
Huh?
I don't follow her so I just had a quick look at her accounts (didn't watch any of her videos though because no thanks), but I thought she was against them? And where is the thing about her selling her dolls to replace them with other ones?

Most of the people with the cheapo ugly dolls do have a bit of "I swear I like this doll, even if I mostly got it because it's affordable and would jump onto one of the expensive companies right away if I could" vibe. Unless someone really made the choice to go for one of the cheaper companies, without looking at the price, I always assume money was their main reason to pick that doll.

Also did you guys see that "anti-recast people" list making its rounds on Tumblr?
The fuck is that about? I bet a list of pro-recast people would make their community flip their shit and scream bullying again.
>>
>>6253967
At least people are giving suggestions on the facebook page where it was posted instead of blindly saying they love it. After the resin color change fiasco I was beginning to get worried that people would just deal with whatever Miro throws at them without question. Especially when one girl was angry with a doll that had come in with messed up knee joints; she was actually told by one of the fb admins that she was overreacting and to say something nice about the doll. If it came in chipped and not made well, she has a right to complain! I understand that the company has had some bad stuff happen lately, but you can't get your customers faulty products.

>>6255762
I did, I was hoping someone would bring it up! It was all over my dashboard yesterday. I also learned I don't post up there enough because even though I'm anti-recast myself, I didn't make it on the list. People are either finding it hilarious or are getting super angry at it.
>>
File: WhatAmIDoing.png (171KB, 236x350px) Image search: [Google]
WhatAmIDoing.png
171KB, 236x350px
Hey /toy/ I'm currently in the proccess of making a doll and I don't have anyone available to give critisism on what has been sculpted so far...
Would y'all be okay if I occasionally provided pictures for you guys to critique and review?

Also pic isnt mine.
>>
>>6256780
If you're okay with people shitting on it, I'd say go for it.
>>
>>6255557
Minifee is too slim but standard MSD will fit well, and the older Dollybirds will have plenty. There's a link at the top of the thread to a google+ account with a lot of older scans. I know for sure Dollybird issues 10 and 13 have regular MSD clothes/underwear.

Actually I think tonight I'll try to make a list of what patterns are in which book, I have all the Dollybirds up to 20 and a few random others.
>>
Has anyone ever bought a doll from taobao?
I am in need of a Spiritdoll Proud boy body and someone suggested Taobao for shorter wait times and because it was cheaper.
I'm a little apprehensive to buy something without some kind of good faith from previous buyers, especially for so much.
Help if you can!
>>
>>6257212
I have anon, but you've got to take somethings into consideration before you decide to go the taobao route.

Have you ever used taobao before? Depending on your agent fees, shipping to your agent and then to your country and the Yuan price of the doll vs the dollar prices, there is a chance it might be just as much as you would have paid going through the english site.

I don't know about Spirit doll, but I've bought from Angell Studio and there was no difference in my wait versus their regular wait times. Maybe even a little longer because it had to go to my agent first and then to me.

Is Spiritdoll chinese? If so, they should probably have an official taobao site. Make sure you go with that one and not with a dealer if you do decide to go the taobao route (because there are also a lot of dealers on taobao too for whatever reason).
>>
>>6256946
Have no aversion to being shat on as long as there is some form of maturity involved.
Also does anyone have a preffered way for me to post the wips here? I was thinking of collecting each batch of photos into the same one but that would result in large picture files and I wouldn't want to spam multiple replies in the thread with pictures.
>>
>>6257226

I must say, I ordered from Llongsoul a few years back and had my order to my agent in two weeks, when their wait was 6+ months regularly. Some chinese companies really put their mainland customers ahead.
>>
>>6257212
I agree with >>6257226.

I once bought a body from Akagidoll through Taobao, before they had international dealers.
The body's price was good, the fees and shipping fees were ridiculous though (I paid 130$ shipping) and the body turned out to be really expensive in the end.
A while ago I tried to buy a Doll Legend body through Taobao via Taobaoring, and they told me right away that shipping would be pretty high. Lots of the doll companies seem to be able to ship cheaper due to contracts with the shipping services.
After calculating a little buying the body through Taobao would have been more expensive than using Alice's Collection.

To add: Spiritdoll is indeed a chinese company and they do have an official Taobao shop.
I needed a Proud body a while ago too and thought about ordering there due the mentioned lower price and probably faster shipping, but my dealer was unable to buy from them.
I thiiiink Spiritdoll declined them, but I might mix them up with another 'do not sell to dealer' shop.
Anyway, in the end I ordered from Spiritdoll's international shop and received the body two weeks later.
How fast they are seems to change a lot, sometimes they take forever, sometimes they are super fast.
Keep in mind that in case something is wrong with the body/damaged you would need to go through the dealer for help too.
It's probably easier (and maybe cheaper) if you just order from Spiritdoll directly.

>>6257325 is correct though too, chinese shops definitely ship out stuff faster to chinese customers.
>>
>>6257247
Fairly certain links offsite are acceptable.
But I could be wrong on this board; I jump boards a lot on 4chan.
As long as you aren't like Culur and reject corrections to basic anatomy, you should be fine.
>>
I'm trapped on the train for a few hours and thought about updating the buyfag guide (the bjd one).
In my opinion we could do something way better than the current one, which is badly structured and also not up to date.
Would there be interest in that?
I've written up a few guides in the past and would use some of the linked ones in this thread too to cook something up.

I can't really access the buyfag link right now (I'm writing this post on a slow mobile connection), can someone tell me how the link is updated? Been a while since I checked it.
>>
File: 2Dweneedtotalk.jpg (821KB, 4000x1320px) Image search: [Google]
2Dweneedtotalk.jpg
821KB, 4000x1320px
>>6257212
I've purchased Dollzone, Xagadoll, and 2D Doll bodies from Taobao and each time I saved over $100, even after service fees and shipping. Wait times were much quicker for the latter two. I've also noticed that seasonal sales tend to be run through dealers rather than the official stores, and they're more frequent and last longer than international events.

My only piece of advice in addition to what other anons have provided is that you need to use a reputable shopping service. For some ungodly reason, Taobao's built-in forwarding services refuse to ship resin abroad, and you will cry blood trying to get them to either return it or push it on to someone who can. And when I say "reputable," I mean:
1. Not Alsotao, or any service with a shady rep
2. Not Crystal Yi/TBSS because their service fees are bullshit. They charge 10% twice.

>>6257474
When you bought directly from the Taobao shops, did they ship directly to you via EMS? If so, that's what pushed the price so high, because the individual sellers don't really have any cheap international options. If you have them ship to a shopping service first, EMS shipping for an MSD only comes to about $45. Other methods are even lower.
>>
>>6257533
I used a dealer and the company shipped first to them, then the dealer shipped to me.

>EMS shipping for an MSD only comes to about $45
>MSD

That's the issue.
Shipping an MSD isn't that expensive, both from TB dealers and companies.
I only buy beefy 70cm guys though.
The boxes are huge and usually 3kg, if not heavier.
The Spiritdoll Proud body anon wants to buy is one of them and comes in a bulky bag too.
>>
>>6257546
My bad, that really changes things. Good luck, first anon.
>>
File: 32684754034_2748e4fb66_o.jpg (242KB, 850x567px) Image search: [Google]
32684754034_2748e4fb66_o.jpg
242KB, 850x567px
>>6257661
No problem.

With MSDs I'd personally would feel well to receive them via Airmail too, no such options with the big dolls either.
An Iplehouse HID straight from Iple is also nearly touching the 100$ mark, pretty brutal considering how much the dolls cost.
Also new bread is due soon, but I'll keep the thread running a day longer since we aren't that far down yet.
>>
File: 33672830466_4452b7a218_o.jpg (1MB, 1600x1180px) Image search: [Google]
33672830466_4452b7a218_o.jpg
1MB, 1600x1180px
>>6257487
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1grB6HlGb8DHzvNp0_dtJePXvazwUNW0bsfVN2Svzl0g/edit

Here's a second version I typed up. Used some of the old resources/added more links/used some of the stuff in the guides that are in the current recap at the top. What do you think? If it sucks the old guide can of course stay, no hard feelings. I honestly have no clue how often people check it out anyway.

I left out most of the company recommendations from the old guide because they tend to be outdated quickly and I wanted to keep the guide from aging badly. It also depends too much on personal experience and preferences.

(also tried three different link versions now, hopefully the system finally stops thinking I am trying to spam)
>>
>>6258351
oh really, the fugly google link is cool but not a shortened version?!

Anyway, it's up now, have a look guys.
>>
>>6258351
This is a very good guide. The formatting is kind of irking me, but you wrote it on the train so I really can't complain about that. It's otherwise really good. I honestly think we'd need a whole separate guide on brands/companies, so I agree with the choice to leave that information out of the general guide.
>>
>>6256603
I was hoping I'd make the list too (I found the whole thing dumb and amusing) but I didn't I guess that's what I get for being inactive on BJD tumblr for about a year
>>
>>6258634
I just checked it on a bigger screen (my travel laptop is pretty small), and the formatting is pretty fucked. It also looks very different on mobile, there are some missing spaces between different points or lines that are definitely not there on desktop.

I'd suggest that the person who will paste it into the buyfag link (if we take the 2.0) should format it too. Tinkering around with it in the drive doesn't really help right now.
I will add something on eye putty though, forgot that part.

>I honestly think we'd need a whole separate guide on brands/companies

I just fear it's hard to keep that up to date (since the guide is rarely updated) and it's just so heavily based on current situations and/or personal experience/preferences.
There are a few things that will probably never change, like "DC/DZ takes forever to ship", but it's probably better to just ask/look for current reviews and to ask yourself what you are looking for in a doll and if you can thus deal with certain "quirks" or not.

The "tier" system is also pretty stupid currently because it's barely scratching the surface and heavily based on personal preferences and your available/comfortable feeling budget.
Leekeworld is not high tier, they are mid tier at best because they often show bald wig caps, have thinly wefted wigs etc.; of course compared to some 5$ ebay wig they are good but they are shit compared to better fiber like ForMyDoll or an expensive angora custom.
Same for clothes; Dollheart is not high tier, but for some "paying more than 30$ for an outfit is expensive" person it might be.
>>
>>6259017
Man I hate Formydoll fiber. It feels so dry to the touch.
>>
>>6259037
You see, when I still bought fiber wigs I loved them because the wigs were wefted thicker (i.e. no bald triangles or shining through wig caps on lighter colors) and they were buttery smooth without being glossy/shiny/greasy.

They do have some lines though with shit fibers, much like Monique, and certain styles I definitely wouldn't buy.
Like the whole pre-order section is shit.
>>
>>6258351
good jobu
>>
NEW THREAD
>>6259433
>>6259433
>>6259433
NEW THREAD
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 94

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.