[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can this be 3d printed? It's too high quality!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: wihb2n1u5udni87iwu5x.jpg (2MB, 2628x1728px) Image search: [Google]
wihb2n1u5udni87iwu5x.jpg
2MB, 2628x1728px
How can this be 3d printed? It's too high quality!!
>>
>>6190218
High end Resin or stereolithographic printers. Printed in multiple parts and assembled and significant amount of finishing.
>>
>>6190218
Uh? so Ryu is Henry Cavill on a wig now?
>>
File: sfv-ryu-preorder-1-750.jpg (341KB, 750x420px) Image search: [Google]
sfv-ryu-preorder-1-750.jpg
341KB, 750x420px
>>6190594
pretty much
>>
>>6190997
And people wonder why I was confused about him being Asian when the movie came out...
>>
>>6191011
I dunno, man. The eyes on that figure look pretty chinky to me.
>>
>>6190594
I thought it looked more like a buffer Keanu Reeves, personally.
>>
>>6190218
printed in multiple parts
sanded down
multiple layers of paint
time and dedication
>>
>>6197808
Positive canthal tilt is a more Asiatic feature
>>
>>6198789
This.
Good prints are proper quality printer + lots of time spent finishing the actual print.
You bet that statue there did not fall out of the printer like that.

Reason most 3D printed stuff people know is shit, is because all they now are unfinished cheap prints.
We are sadly still far from printing high quality pieces for cheap.
>>
>>6190218
>printed
>sanded
>painted

i dont see how you think this is some rare feat.unless you think it was just printing like that in one go.
>>
>>6202121
Whenever I hear people saying 3D printed projects look terrible, I'm reminded of my old highschool photography teacher who scoffed at my interest in digital cameras. "The quality of digital photography is so grainy and poor. These will never compete with the quality of film."

We just need time for the technology to become more refined, and until then put in the effort to use physical tools to refine the quality of what they can produce now.
>>
>>6203268
Yeah, but digital cameras made huge breakthroughs from the 90s to 00s, where they basically replaced traditional film and cameras. And that was with CONSUMER cameras.
Great digital cameras existed by the late 90s with high end professional cameras.

With 3d printers, they've actually been around since at least the 90s, if not before. Back then they were basic as fuck, but now they can create complex shapes and are pretty durable.
However, they have never passed for professional finished work and it'll be a while before they ever can.
It will never be interchangeable for objects that are actually cast from a mold. It'll never be like digital cameras.

Someday in the future, you may say, that despite the crummier quality, you'd rather have a 3d printed toy of [INSERT-FAVORITE-CHARACTER-OF-NEVER-BEING-MADE] than go back to buying shitty high end collector toys.... right before the United Nations Secret Police's drones fire incendiary devices through your windows for pirating intellectual property that belongs to Disney.
>>
>>6202121
>unfinished cheap prints.
theyre not cheap at all

Much more costly than getting your standard mini or kit
>>
>>6204512
They're really not. FDM printing is dirt cheap. 20 bucks gets you 1kg of ABS, which is the weight of two small MG gunplas. In terms of just mass you're getting a ton of value. Of course, not as much as pellets.

>>6203367
SLA printers can basically pass for production-like quality. I think formlabs has free or cheap samples of prints you can order to see for yourself. We're talking .05mm with excellent uniformity since it's a laser passing through UV cured resin. Even moving linear motion mechanisms (ballscrews and rails) can achieve >0.05mm resolution easily, that sort of accuracy is trivial when the method you're using to produce tools isn't terrible.

They won't be interchangeable with injection molded thermoplastics but UV cured resins are already pretty good in many areas, just not as well rounded as thermoplastics. There are casting polyurethanes that are similar to top plastics like acetal, so maybe we'll see better UV cure resins in the future. The Carbon M1 printer already has some very strong resins that are, afaik, only possible through their patented curing method, though the resolution isn't as good as common SLA printing. And the machines are obscenely expensive, but I'm sure prices will go down in the future (and once the patents expire) like it did with FDM (patents were a large part in what held consumer-grade 3D printing back).

I'll point out 3D printing is an industrial production method like injection molding, so it's not something everyone can enjoy, but it's short sighted to say top notch stuff won't be available in the future. The ability to produce production-like surface finish is basically there, what's lagging behind is material (seemingly improving) and price (probably going to be inelastic for a while). FDM printing was once considered an industrial standard but now even $200 pieces of junk can do it reasonably once the patents protecting it expired.
>>
File: 3d star wars.jpg (308KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3d star wars.jpg
308KB, 1500x1000px
>>6204567
You're not taking into account the price of a printer that can actually be as detailed as a mini or model, and the tools required to get it to the point where it can actually pass for a mini or model.

As for any 3d printed thing passing for even bootleg quality... proof?
Everything i see still looks like its made of sand.
I've seen .05mm stuff and it still looks this bad.
>>
>>6190218
because it has had countless hours of touching up and paint applications to make it look presentable
>>
File: zsmswkcdevsx.jpg (665KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
zsmswkcdevsx.jpg
665KB, 1920x1080px
>>6204615
That's SLS and a little finishing could fix it right away.
>>
File: 3d printer finishing.jpg (20KB, 600x270px) Image search: [Google]
3d printer finishing.jpg
20KB, 600x270px
>>6204683
What's a "little finishing?"

You said that they can pass for production though, but they don't and won't, without "a little finishing"
>>
>>6202121
It's not really that time consuming to do proper finishing on a high quality print, basically just prime it with a little bit of hand polishing.
>>
File: mqlkAi2.gif (961KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
mqlkAi2.gif
961KB, 450x338px
>>6190218
Dang, he's sexy!
>>
>>6205107
A coat of filler primer or topcoat. SLS comes out with, depending on the design, a few supports, which act as the same thing as sprues. So the difference is just putting on a primer or topcoat to get a smooth finish.

>>6204683
This is SLA, which just needs support/sprue removal, which is the same as injection molding parts. That finish is straight out of the printer.
>>
Why do mods always show up to delete on topic posting?
>>
>>6205400
Yep, so it's just like i said.
We're still not to the point where even high end professional models can get production looking figures, muchless consumer ones.

We still have a long ways to go.
So the digital camera analogy is pretty bad.

As for the deleted post, that isn't something straight from the printer. That involved quite a bit of work just to get it to the point of a model kit stage
>>
>>6206078
>I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm going to keep saying it
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.