[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why wasn't this successful?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: download.jpg (18KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
18KB, 318x159px
>coolest concept ever
>never seen again after mid 90s
>>
>>6190129
well to start it was successful.
It got sorta revived thanks to Cadillacs and DInosaurs, the toy line reused all the dinosaur molds from the dino riders line and featured new gear that got put onto the dinosaurs.
But I am willing to bet that the big thing that kept such things from a continued success into the 90s is Jurassic Park.
JP presented much more scientifically accurate, for the time, then anyone else and did so in a way that was immensely successful. Not only would it be really hard to try and follow up that success without being shunned as pale immitator but it also meant that toy wise they would have to come up with completely new molds and designs.
>>
>>6190129
Mattel is actually making a live action movie reboot for Dino Riders,it's indevelopment like the MotU movie and Street Sharks reboot.
>>
>>6190207
The big problem is that those things will come in the next decade.2020.
>>
File: imaginextdinos.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
imaginextdinos.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
>>6190129
We just gonna pretend like these didn't happen recently?
>>
File: imaginext5_M.jpg (264KB, 999x666px) Image search: [Google]
imaginext5_M.jpg
264KB, 999x666px
>>6190354
Imaginext actually does a lot of really cool shit, but I think people tend to ignore it because it's aimed at kids, made by Fisher Price, and has a kinda goofy cartoony look.

This line was a CLEAR Dino Riders homage, which is awesome. Also, the T-rex "limb enhancers" never fail to make me laugh. Don't get me wrong, I do still want an actual Dino Riders reboot, but props to Fisher Price for doing this. Really cool of them.
>>
>>6190207
The MotU movie's been in development since before the Transformers movie went into development.
>>
>>6190354
>>6190366
I would be all over these if I was a kid again.

Imaginext black series when?
>>
>>6190576
I think is a cycle. For example he-man, thundercats and tmnt started as simple 5poa toys and now there are superarticulated renditions of them.

So we need to wait about 20 years for the kids who are into imaginext are grown enough to either get a job at a toy company or start a kickstarter to fund a more articulated version of them.
>>
File: DinoRiderTrexARMORED.jpg (61KB, 390x384px) Image search: [Google]
DinoRiderTrexARMORED.jpg
61KB, 390x384px
>>6190129
werent they just generic dinosaurs but with things attached to them. i vividly remember being mildly impressed with them as a kid
>>
>>6196141
>being mildly impressed with them as a kid
>mildly impressed
>about dinosaurs with laser guns and missiles

You must have been one jaded kid.
>>
The Turok toyline was going to re-create Dino-Riders essentially but the line failed with wave 1 so any wave 2 figures never released,/
>>
>>6190129
Jurassic World 2 is sure to please all the Dinoriders fans.
>>
>>6190148
>Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Holy hell! That's why I've never been able to find this exact raptor I had; it wasn't even dino riders! Thank you for solving this mystery for me.
>>
>>6202347
What happened to the concept about the modified human/dino hybrid supersoldiers? That's the Jurassic movie I want to see, dammit.
>>
>>6202375
Dead in the water I'm afraid.
>>
>>6202347
Not if they go with the modern "no points of articulation necessary" toy company that somehow did worse for every single figure than the one from the 90s that redefined dinosaur toys.
>>
File: Smithsonian - Deinonychus.jpg (32KB, 372x400px) Image search: [Google]
Smithsonian - Deinonychus.jpg
32KB, 372x400px
>>6202357
>>6190148
Also there was a Smithsonian re-release of most of them in the mid 90's
>>
File: 20170219_222130.jpg (294KB, 1039x905px) Image search: [Google]
20170219_222130.jpg
294KB, 1039x905px
>>6190129
My favorite <3
>>
File: DRTorosaurusARMORED3a.jpg (64KB, 471x432px) Image search: [Google]
DRTorosaurusARMORED3a.jpg
64KB, 471x432px
>>6202951
I was so jealous of my friend who had the T-Rex.
I did eventually get one years later in a yard sale but it had none of the armor parts.

Of all the Dino Riders I did own Torosaurus was by far my favourite.
>>
>>6190148

Dinosaurs in covered in armor and covered in laser canons is about as scientifically accurate as Jurassic Park ended up being, though.
>>
>>6190129
Dinosaurs aren't cool anymore
>>
>>6203030
t. millenial
>>
>>6202420

Well, it's no longer Hasbro's line, so maybe Mattel might do it well (also Mega Construx, if LEGO has dropped the license)
>>
>>6203002
I always thought this design was awesome. Still do actually. I had the diplodocus, quetzacoatl, and ankylosaurus. I think I may have had a deinonychus too.
>>
If you look at the design of all the T-Rex toys that were released, Rex from Toy Story is most closely based on the Dino Riders Tyrannosaurus.
>>
>>6203030
I had such hope Jurassic World would revive the interest in dinos again, but alas, no such luck. Didn't help all the toys were shit too.
>>
>>6203034
It's true though. Adults are not the ones interested in dinosaurs in the first place, and the new generation of kids don't care. Dinosaurs are basically childhood fun or science nerds who argue with people who don't like feathers.

The more we learned about them, the less interesting they got when we realized all the cool ones still exist as birds of prey.
>>
>>6196141
Every time I see DinoRider figures I think about that Mrs. Doubtfire scene where he's playing with them and making jokes about dinosaurs.
>>
>>6203152
>The more we learned about them, the less interesting they got
Totally true.
If I have to listen to my friend go on about feathers anymore I'm going to bash my skull open on a rusted nail. I don't care if they had feathers. They look cooler as giant lizards!
>>
>>6203164
This.

Fuck science and their FABULOUS gaylord dinos.
>>
>>6203002
It's funny that the Valorians (the good guys) had the dinos with the most weapons.

The Torosaurus had 4 barrels on each of those plates which opened to reveal more guns. No wonder one of the guys who came with it was named Gunnur.

The Diplodocus had 4 3-shot missile launchers on the neck and the pods opened to reveal 18 barrels worth of broadside firepower.

The Brontosaurus had 10 triple barrel guns as part of its arsenal with 6 of those forward facing.

The Rulons turned their heavier dinos into tanks while the Valotians made them battleships.
>>
>>6203145
Have the toys for any Jurassic movie ever been good?
>>
Suffered from MASK Syndrome:

The figures could (at the beginning) only be bought with the dinosaurs, the bulk of which were expensive as fuck and out of the price range of most kids. Made worse, the name characters from the show were only available with the most expensive dinosaurs, meaning that if you had parents who could only buy you the lowest tier sets, you got stuck with literal who characters.

(They eventually started doing two packs, like MASK did, but unlike with MASK, they made the two pack versions of the main characters have different color schemes).

It also hurt that they fucking couldn't keep the media tie ins straight. The cartoon was campy fun but the Marvel comic (which ran 3 issues before they revoked the rights) was filled with characters being evil, especially amongst the good guys side and nasty as hell body horror, complete with the leader shooting one character and the bad guys turning him into a literal lizard person. As mentioned beforehand, it pissed the toy company off so badly, they killed the license after three issues.

Finally, they were planning on retooling the line into sabretooth tigers and mammoths and shit towards the end of the cartoon before lack of sales caused them to cancel further toys.
>>
>>6203002
I have no memories of owning this toy, but I must have and lost it, cause part of my childhood was finding those silver plates in my toy accessory bins from time to time.
>>
>>6203327
I think the original 2 JP toys are good.

I own a velocirraptor from the second movie and it is really fun. If you squeeze the legs the head does an attack movement. Plus it has this cool harness thing.
>>
>>6203327
Yeah, when they were done by Kenner. Hasbro dissolved Kenner by JP3 and started their "all dinosaurs are now the same size with wounds cut into the hard plastic electronic ReAkATak" bullshit.
>>
>>6203336
The Dino Riders Ice Age subline was actually released and didn't sell that well. Kids just didn't want mammoths and sloths as much as dinosaurs. And nobody really gave much of a shit about the figures, half of them were repaints anyway.
>>
File: IMG_4537.jpg (242KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4537.jpg
242KB, 1600x1200px
>>6203142

Funny you would say that.
>>
There's a variety of dino rider themed toys, just none that have the fame and longevity of dino rider.

Turok released 4 awesome dino rider toys, had plans for many more that were cancelled.

Dino Warriors is a great line, released only in Wal-Mart's and featuring a ton of unique alien dinosaurs.

Tmnt has had multiple lines of figures paired with dinosaur companions or turned into dinosaurs or whatever the fuck.

Chap Mei has released various dinosaur creatures in their lines that are dino rider esque, flying dinosaur mounts, the brachiosaurus with a harness, etc.

And of course the various Imaginext lines that are basically dino riders junior.

The stuff is out there, you just have to look for it.

That said, an acid rain quality toyline of dino rider esque nature is my dream toyline.
>>
>>6204251
That giant sloth was pretty sick tho.
>>
>>6205486
In hindsight it was but as a kid trying to find the chasmosaurus only to find towering stacks of woolly mammoths and sloths everywhere it sucked.
>>
>>6205391
>all those visible joints
>no actual joints
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.