[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Funko single handedly kill the western vinyl figure market?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

Did Funko single handedly kill the western vinyl figure market?
>>
no, vinyl figures were going in that direction before pops, funko just profited from it
>>
jesus christ

imagine having that much disposable income IN ADDITION to having shit taste
>>
Single-handedly? No. It was probably the final nail in the coffin, though.
>>
>>6187090
That's 8 rows and 11 columns, so there's 88 pops in there
assuming ten dollars each, dude paid 880 dollars for all that. Depending on the timeframe over which he collected them, that's not crazy
>>
>>6187012
I can't even tell what half of these are supposed to be, and the half that I can identify are only through the context of recognizing the most unique design in the set (Like through Rick Grimes' hat, I can identify theWalking Dead characters, and through Snow Miser and Miser I can identify the other christmas stop motion characters). I used to wonder why these got a bad rap, but all I ever looked at were the Star Wars themed ones, which all have pretty unique sculpts for the most part, since they mostly consist of weird alien creatures, bad asses in armor, or cool robot designs.
>>
>>6187012
People need to learn how to store their boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUcnV5QVSkU
>>
>>6188465
Dumbass, you throw the plastic insert and flatten the boxes.
>>
>>6187586
>I can't even tell what half of these are supposed to be

The only ones that I recognized were the fucking ponies (the logo on the big boxes clued me in) and the adventure time ones. Pops are all so indistinct in their shitty design from each other, especially if just glance-viewed in a group.
>>
File: Queen-Chrysalis-Funko.jpg (54KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Queen-Chrysalis-Funko.jpg
54KB, 320x320px
>>6188558
the mlp figures are actually some of their most well modeled figures
>>
I haven't been following the whole scene but my favorite shit did stop being produced, it was a bummer.
Well I couldn't afford them anyway.
>>
>>6187090

Pffft. That's nothing.
>>
They certainly killed NY Comic-Con. Every other dealer in the dealer's room was wall-to-wall fucking Pops; it's like they didn't think to bring any other merchandise. Even funnier when you realize Funco had their OWN booth there that was also a fucking fortress of Pops
>>
>>6188465
funko pop boxes are not worth anything
>>
>>6187012

Nice Beanie Babies collection
>>
>>6188465
Dude should've left the figures in the boxes when he did that.
>>
File: 2197480-dsc01772c[1].jpg (2MB, 4901x2334px) Image search: [Google]
2197480-dsc01772c[1].jpg
2MB, 4901x2334px
how did Pop! figures last so long but Mighty Mugs got the boot fairly quickly?
>>
>>6197530

This shit triggers me to no end.

Even worse considering for every 1 good POP theres at least 50 trash ones.
>>
>>6202186
Really simple. Mighty Mugs still only pandered to nerds. (Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers, G I Joe, Indiana Jones, that was about it)

Funko appeals to everyone, because they have practically every license. They have Funkos for the Breakfast Club, for fuck's sake.

They are dogshit toys, but even people who don't buy toys will go into a Hot Topic, see this cutesy bobble-head shaped figure of a character they like and see, hey, it's only $10. That's not too dear.
>>
File: 1485411507526.jpg (17KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485411507526.jpg
17KB, 480x480px
>>6188615
But they had just as bad QC as any other. The big ones had scuff marks and the small one had ranges of bad paint apps to mismatched eyes.

>>6197530
This too, this too hard. Especially in recent years, the traffic jams in particular causes by Funko are a fucking nightmare, god help you if you try to make your way towards that booth or in the direction of anything that sells them. And they're all over the place too. They really killed the "exclusive" market in general.
>>
>>6187090
You're complaining about a guy collecting toys just because it's not "your kind" of toy?
That's as pathetic as thinking there's a difference between western cartoons and weeb.
At the end of the day, it's all the same dumb shit for retarded nerds.
>>
>>6187012
yes.
>>
>>6202261
Well yeah, thats what you get with $10 toys but thats not the point.
>>
>>6198779
Oh lordy, don't tell Pop collectors that.
>>
File: the-last-guardian-6.jpg (973KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the-last-guardian-6.jpg
973KB, 1920x1080px
I want them to make Trico as a PoP
>>
>>6188465
>All those legitimately devastated comments
Pop vinyl collectors truly are the cancer
>>
>>6202594
I agree, but I save all the boxes for my figures too though. But all of my toys are $150-$600 so I think it makes more sense.
>>
>>6202239
I feel as though it pondered to a different kind of nerd moreso than non nerds. Where mighty mugs did transformers, POP's did Sherlock and doctor who. Being a nerd is still looked down upon, despite what many think, it all depends on what kind of nerd. If you collect transformers you're a disappointment, if you own every doctors screwdriver and a bunch of Disney and Sherlock pops, and maaaaybe iron man cuz tony stark is Soooo Hot, your part of a COOL HIP fandom. In other words mighty mugs were made for nerds and pops where made for tumblarinas. Sadly tumblarinas out way us...
>>
>>6202275
There is a diffrence between anime and western cartoons.
https://youtu.be/4XRe612LFvs

https://youtu.be/Qc0tIjw7fII
>>
>>6202932
western cartoons have heroes with 15 years of military training.

anime has heroes that are 15 years old
>>
I was looking for videos about toy fair and more than half of the results were idiot teenagers talking about the new pops. Made me mad!!!
>>
>MOTU Trap Jaw is coming out
>want to buy
>exclusive so it'll cost double
>no swappable weapon hands
>no longer want to buy

Only one I'd consider and it's subpar
>>
File: VE-NISS.png (138KB, 205x240px) Image search: [Google]
VE-NISS.png
138KB, 205x240px
>>6202932
>What is the appeal of anime?

They say that like anime is one single genre, like JJBA and Nichijou and TTGL are the same thing. That's like asking "what's the appeal of movies?" as though Up and District 9 and American Psycho are all the same thing.

Fuck, this question really pisses me off more than it should.
>>
File: tidus.jpg (138KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
tidus.jpg
138KB, 960x768px
>>6188465
HAHAHAHAH ALL THOSE NORMALFAGS TRIGGERED BY HIM THROWING THE BOXES IN THE TRASH
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>6202594
Yes but would you feel legitimate pain if you witnessed someone else, someone completely unknown to you, dispose of their own boxes for the same toys?
>>
>>6187519
They are also worth over $800 combined. Those original Rangers down at the bottom right sell for like $200 - $300 a piece
>>
>>6198779
>>6202538

Then why is it that a pop with the box is worth more than one without...?
>>
>>6203042
>$6 used no box
>$12 new
"worth"
>>
>>6187012
>MLP
>Big Bang Theory
>Spongebob
>Adventure Time
>Sanic
Neckbeard tier taste
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.