[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop collecting low end shit? I prefer Hot Toys and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: Zi75g56.jpg (191KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Zi75g56.jpg
191KB, 1600x900px
How do I stop collecting low end shit? I prefer Hot Toys and larger figures, but I always find myself impulse buying hasbro garbage just because it's cheap. I look above my desk and see all this cheap garbage, and although I like some of it, most of it just looks like a huge cluster fuck. I'd like to shrink my collection to only expensive shit, but I just can't stop buying cheap garbage. I really should just sell it all off and never look back. It's a pain in the ass to list 60+ figures though It's detrimental to how I feel about collecting, I think.

Is it because high end stuff takes months to years to come out versus having something before or right after the movie comes out?

For example, I spent $150 on "Force Friday" this year and I regret almost all of it

Does this happen to anyone else?
>>
>>6177763
I've been making the same transition myself.

>Is it because high end stuff takes months to years to come out

This is one of the things I had to struggle with, particularly getting used to the idea of pre-ordering. I still hate it and still tend to want to overpay for released stuff just because I hate waiting. What I usually end up doing is lurking ebay real real hard until something falls through the cracks toward original release price.

To avoid hasbroshit I've stopped looking at toys when i'm in Walmart/Target and I try to avoid the threads here too.
>>
Don't have that issue, but I am a pretty patient person.

You aren't starting out.
You have enough stuff at home to entertain you while waiting for a pre-order to be shipped, so why the rush?

Ask yourself why are you buying toys.
From your text it sounds like you enjoy hitting that buy button more than actually owning things.
Change that approach.
Then you need to start working towards "rather owning one pricey thing I really want versus lots of cheap shit I maybe want a little".
What's the point of owning 10 15$ pieces you don't really want if you could buy that one 150$ piece you really want?
>>
>>6177763
Well get some impulse control and you won't have this issue. Or be impulsive on buying it but sell it on a couple of weeks later instead of building up a collection of cheap ones.
>>
Just embrace the cheap stuff you do like but don't completely limit your purchases of them. Clearly there is something you like about them if you keep buying them. Maybe if you pair the cheaper stuff with the high end stuff and work it around a theme you won't feel compelled to go wild on the cheaper stuff.

The thing is by their nature cheaper toys can cover a wider variety of subjects and characters, and more variety, too. Sometimes you can have more of a personal collectio to a cheaper release of a character than any expensive one. For example, this cheap $20 ML Wolverine is more of a definitive Logan to me than any Hot Toys Hugh Jackman.
>>
>>6177893
>Clearly there is something you like about them if you keep buying them.

Yes, the price.
To many that is all that makes a piece attractive to them, and from anon's post it sounds like he's one of those people.
>>
>>6177763
get some self control you fag.

or better taste.
>>
File: IMG_4732.jpg (75KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4732.jpg
75KB, 720x960px
>>6177825
Yeah, I need to stop going to 2nd and Charles and the toy sections of stores
>>6177833
Again, you're right. I have a shitty day and I buy a toy, even if it's not something I really wanted but kind of sort of wanted.
>>6177849
I agree
>>6177893
>>6177943
I think that some cheap items are great, but the most appealing thing most of the time is the price. It's easy to spend $10 or $20 here and there vs $200+
>>6177967
Rude
>>
>>6178055
That evil star man looks sort of shitty for a figure that expensive.
>>
>>6178070
Yeah, I didn't buy him because of that. Rey is great though
>>
>>6177763
1. Decide what you want your collection to be
2. Divest yourself of things that don't fit that ideal
>>
>>6177763
If it's a clusterfuck decide what you don't want to display and put those figures in storage.
Why don't you appreciate cheaper figures? What do you do with them aside from buying?
What will you do with your Hot Toys?
>>
>>6177763
Move to PA. You won't have an opportunity to purchase anything in a store ever again.
>>
>>6178627
Thanks for the advice anon, I'm going to start doing that now.
>>6178698
I put a few things in storage the other day and I agree, it looks a lot better.
>What will you do with your hot toys?
Display them and take photos like with any toy.
>>6178729
Colorado really isn't any better.
>>
>>6178729
I can vouch for this, fucking walmart still has tfa shit clogging pegs
>>
>>6177763

Every time you feel the urge, take the money you would use out of your wallet, put it in another pocket. When you get home, put the money you wold have spent in a jar. Watch the money accumulate. Spend it on something worthwhile.
>>
File: ea4.gif (1MB, 1200x666px) Image search: [Google]
ea4.gif
1MB, 1200x666px
>>6177763
>How do I stop collecting low end shit?
>I prefer Hot Toys
>>
>>6179182
>hot toys
>low end
Explain yourself
>>
>>6177763
What I did was every time I got to buy cheap crap and stuff it's cost in savings. After a few weeks of this I both got a hard wake up call how mismanaged I was with my money as well as then saving the money for the bigger toys.
Also a cost free feel good high replacing those toy buying urges help a lot.

Now as to why it's slow it's more becuase they don't want to risk a glutted mudflation market. 20 awesome $200+ figures come out the same month? Most will buy one they want and never look back meaning about 45,000 of profit losses for all those other high end collectibles that didn't sell that season. Also you have to convince a distributor to carry enough stock to justify the factory work cost.
>>
>>6179200
the price tag doesn't really have anything to do with HT quality. They're $40 toys at best.
>>
I think its the falllacy of "Oh hey Im spending 20 dollars on a figure" and then you end up buying 3 instead of paying 60 dollars for one nice one.
>>
Every time you make a purchase, think to yourself, "what could I get instead?"
Then ask, "what could I get instead of two or three of these?"
>>
>>6179341
>my weeaboo jap figure are worth 120 though!
kill yourself
>>
>>6179401
>I have to justify my overpriced crap

Go back to the OSW forums
>>
File: photostudio_1454290839529.jpg (219KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
photostudio_1454290839529.jpg
219KB, 683x1024px
>>6179341
>$40
Definitely anon. This looks like it should cost about the price of two marvel legends, right?
>>
>>6179538
What are you trying to prove with that pic? That is a 40$ figure.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.