[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Highest selling action figure properties in the US?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
Some anon on /asp/ claims the WWE is #2 behind Star Wars. He didn't provide a source, but it doesn't sound too crazy. Just wondering if anyone here has any numbers or could speculate. I'm curious as to how well Marvel and DC are doing.
>>
File: Marvel vs DC Licensing Chart.jpg (161KB, 648x853px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel vs DC Licensing Chart.jpg
161KB, 648x853px
I doubt it.

It's probably STar wars first, Marvel next, then transformers, with WWE somewhere after that.
>>
>>6174991

Who fucking cares? Buy what you want
>>
>>6175055
>who fucking cares
Op cares, evidently.
>>
Whenever a report comes out about the best selling figure line of the year it's usually Star Wars when there's a new movie out, Transformers when there's a new movie out and Power Rangers when there are no Star Wars or Transformers movies that year. WWE is never mentioned.
>>
For what my anecdotal observation is worth WWE stuff regularly moves off the shelf. It just occupies a much smaller amount of shelf space than Star Wars or Marvel which both surely have bigger shares of the market.
>>
>>6175030
Interesting. Thanks.
>>
>>6174991
>a failing wrestling company outselling a crown jewel in the Disney empire in anything

Also that thing he said about Reigns figures selling is bullshit; literally everything shield related pegwarms as hard as bo dallas
>>
>>6174991
WWE garbage sells all the time, we haven't sold a 6 inch black series in like 2 months.
>>
WWE is often touted as #2. They flip cases like crazy and release more product than any line I can think of. They put out something like 150 unique figures per year in just their main single packed lines. That's before you count rings, role play, 2packs, gimmick figures, etc

When I first read the #2 figure, the #1 was TMNT.
>>
>>6175178
And this is before I considered store exclusives too, which Walmart, Target, TRU, and Walgreens have significantly ramped up orders on the last couple years.

They push out A FUCKING TON of WWE product.
>>
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/wwe-toys-mattel-new-deal-1201102702/

> Mattel’s line of WWE toys are available in more than 50 countries, and have consistently ranked as the No. 1 action figure property in the United States.

> “WWE and Mattel’s action figure line is consistently ranked in the top two"
>>
File: great wall stormtroopers.jpg (147KB, 1100x619px) Image search: [Google]
great wall stormtroopers.jpg
147KB, 1100x619px
>>6175190
What's the rank in?

And
>Over the past 12 months we delivered record revenue of $703 million
18% of that is from video games and toys, but i'm not going to bother to look up if that's net income or just revenue, and I'm going to pretend video games and toys are evenly split. So 9% of 703m is 64 million.

And here's Star Wars
>"Star Wars" toys generated sales of more than $700 million in the United States in 2015
That's the US alone and Hasbro makes up the lion's share in toy sales.

So that ranking isn't based on sales.
>>
>>6175368
You can't compare licensing revenue to sales. They're two totally different things.
>>
>>6174991

As far as a source, it was claimed during WWE's investors call earlier today.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/Vince_McMahon_Talks_WWE_UK_WWE_Network_WrestleMania_33_Momentum_More.html

Third paragraph.
>>
I don't know about sales but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat everyone else in net revenue. So many figures using the same tooling in a new skintone with a new head and underwear paintjob.
>>
>>6175378
It makes me wonder if these are actual retail sales or wholesale based. I still see Force Friday stock from 2015, since a shitload was shipped. Now, I also see two year old WWE figures at a lot of stores, but the case turnover seems to be a lot higher. Like, Walmart fills endcaps or gets action alley aisle displays like three times a year for WWE, while Star Wars gets that treatment once a year during the initial promotional push for a new movie and then stagnates. I don't doubt that the last two years have been great for Star Wars for units shipped, but considering my constant inability to ever find anything new after initial shipments due to full shelves, I can't feel all that confident about actual sales to customers.
>>
>>6175375
Still gives you a really good idea of how small sales are for WWE stuff, especially compared to Star Wars and Marvel stuff, unless you want to believe the margins are tiny.
>>
>>6175408
>Still gives you a really good idea of how small sales are for WWE stuff

Can't be small if they're consistently in the top two or three

You want to compare sales with sales or licensing deals with licensing deals, fine. Otherwise you're on real shaky ground.
>>
>>6175408
You're also comparing what you assume represents WWE sales from 2012 to Star Wars in 2015.

Here's something that outsold both in 2012.

http://www.gaming-age.com/2013/01/skylanders-franchise-tops-500-million-in-retail-sales-figures-outsell-wwe-star-wars-toys/
>>
As a brand, sure I believe Star Wars is number one. Just in terms of action figures, though? That's a little harder to swallow, considering the sky-high licensing fees and Hasbro's chronic distribution issues. I don't mean "I can't find Black Series Revan"-type issues; I mean for the majority of 2014 and 2015, you couldn't find ANY Star Wars figures AT ALL. Hard to purchase products that don't exist. And last year it was just unwanted Zuvios in both scales rotting on the pegs until being replaced by unwanted Jyn Ersos in both scales.

Anecdotally, my wife is a teacher and the boys in her classes watch wrestling but could give a shit about Star Wars. We live in Texas, though.
>>
>>6174991
I worked at KB right before they went under. Wrestling toys were always put at the front of the aisle because they were the best seller. Granted that was 8 years ago and I'm sure there are ups and downs what with movie tie-ins and vidya toy fads.
>>
>>6175178
>the #1 was TMNT.
Their WWExTMNT crossover figures must've been off the charts then. And they should be, those figure are really cool.
>>
>>6175395
>So many figures using the same tooling in a new skintone with a new head and underwear paintjob.

Mattel has been the Master of that since the 80s
>>
>>6175184
>They push out A FUCKING TON of WWE product.
Anytime I try to shop in a store, WWE has more shelf space than TF, Star Wars, and Marvel put together.
>>
>>6175422
>>6175422
Those aren't action figures though.

And you also have to consider that space does matter in stores. The more a product sells, the larger space they're given.

I think it's weird that WWE don't really say what the ranking is, so it might just be brand recognition or maybe satisfaction. Who really knows, but that's just how marketing is.
>>
>>6176410
>Those aren't action figures though.

Doesn't change that they refer to them as figure sales and provide numbers, which was the point of posting it

Here's a quote I grabbed from the WWE investor page last night dated October 2012

> According to the NPD Group, WWE was the #2 Action Figures property in the U.S. ranked on dollar sales during year-to-date (YTD) August 2012
>>
>>6176423
See, but they're clear there on where it's ranked, unlike the new ones.
>>
Over the last 10 - 5 years the rankings have been pretty much about this with some fluctuations due to things like a movie being released which may have increased sales for a period. Also TMNT of course wasn't anywhere in the top 10 before the NICK reboot. Since the reboot though, it's been consistently in the top 3 for overall volume.

1. Star Wars
2. WWE
3. TMNT
4. Marvel
5. Transformers
6. Power Rangers
7. DC

Now remember this includes ALL lines under the license so for example for Marvel it would include Marvel Legends, the movie lines, 1:18 stuff, cartoon related lines like Unlimited Spider-Man, and even the cheap 12 inch figures.
>>
File: IMG_1433.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1433.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I saw this today. It's so awesomely stupid that I want it.
>>
>>6175030
Transformers are not action figures.
>>
>>6181224
That's stupid. Of course they are.
>>
>>6176595
Where are you sourcing all this from?
>>
>>6181224
Then what are they?
>>
>>6181278
Toy vehicles.
>>
>>6181286
They're robots in disguise you dummy
>>
>>6181224
Whatever you want to call them, they're considered actoin figures to the business and numbers suits.
http://www.cnbc.com/2014/10/20/hasbro-profit-up-43-pct-on-higher-sales-of-transformers-marvel-toys.html

It's sorta like how GI Joes are considered dolls but XMen aren't.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>6181218
I'll see your Zombie Cena and raise you whatever the fuck this is.
>>
File: 1412895646939.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1412895646939.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>6181790
>>
>>6181790
>Not Goro Brock Lesnar
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 469x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 469x700px
>>6181790
>>6186058
My favorite one is Scorpion Monster Sting just because he has a totally normal, almost sad face. It's like he's contemplating if this is really that much better than being in TNA.
>>
>>6175030
WWE would probably outsell Transformers. Much wider appeal.
>>
File: balorfigure.jpg (59KB, 960x719px) Image search: [Google]
balorfigure.jpg
59KB, 960x719px
>>6187660

You just made me realize that I can't recall having ever seen a product line of transforming wrestlers.

Please tell me I'm wrong, and if I'm not then how do we make this happen.
>>
>>6181790
>>6186058
>>6187434
The Cena in this line is made of metal, i have no idea why they didn't make him out of clear plastic like he was invisible
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.