[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toy collecting is just miserable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 21

File: pooh.gif (831KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
pooh.gif
831KB, 500x273px
Has anyone noticed this? It's like heroin addiction. You're constantly have less money than you could've had, mostly in bad mood, become a petty nitpicker over everything, and once there's slight glimmer of happiness when you open new toys, but then it all fades away and you need to collect more to complete your collection, you stuff your new toy into an overcrowded shelves and just let it sit there, dust it every year or so, and argue with other petty people in cambodian basket weaving imageboard.

99.9% of the world doesn't care about your collection, nor even your significant others care about it as it just takes up more and more space and if you try to display everything at once your room will look like manchildren cave.
>>
Well, fuck man, you're not wrong. For me if I didn't buy toys, it'd be books. It's half addiction, half coping mechanism. Bad day at work? Buy a toy, Friends are being assholes to me? Buy a toy. I'm not depressed enough to get on meds, so I just buy shit. But all of my toys make me happy, I always smile when I look at them. Plus, I don't plan on living forever, I'd rather get things I enjoy now and like my life enough to keep going another year.
>>
>>6163884
I don't think you're enjoying the hobby any more.
I like my toys, but I budget and I know the difference between what I want and need. I keep in mind my whole collection when I'm buying, making sure that they look nice in their separate ways and together. I change them up, dust them, and box them nicely when I feel they have become too fixed on the shelf. If I'm not completely in love and happy with a toy, I get rid of it.
>>
>>6163884
Then you should sell the stuff in the back.

That's what I do, and a lot of the stuff I have is relatively stable in value or goes up. (RDs and Figmas).
>>
If grew up surrounded by family & friends(both kids & adults) who collect.

At times when I was young, yes, buying a toy did cheer me up from the misery of school & bullies & average grades, even though the main reason I bought toys was because I enjoyed them. They were FUN. During childhood, most of my friends were more into collecting trading cards like mtg, Pokémon, yugioh, or playing Pokémon on their gameboys, or mastering their tech decks. I was the guy who would be collecting the toys of Pokémon or buying a tony hawk action figure. I wanted physical representations of the things I liked. I didn't want the characters I enjoyed to be hidden being some handheld game screen or printed flat on some paper or imagine my fingers were Hawks legs on a skateboard. Plus toys could do more. Lights, sounds, glow in the dark, color change, transform, combine, explode, bite, punch, roll.

But then college happened and I think it helped my feelings on toys & collecting improve even more. I became too busy to open & play with new toys, but I still had time to shop around for them. With no more bullies, my attitude improved tremendously & I made the deans list every time. I was finally doing very well as a student because I wasn't surrounded by assholes. Toys no longer were a tool to cheer me up. I grew my tastes in different toy lines and at the same time narrowed them down, saw what items I didn't need to buy. I now realized with the memories of a toy filled childhood & the eyes & mind of an adult what was a good toy & what was shit. This was especially helpful in our post 2008 day & age of many American toy makers cutting down their quality & making shit. Now I feel much better in collecting & enjoying what I find appealing. Today I mainly buy toys from Japan because they're quality, I do buy some modern American toys but nowhere near as much as I used too. Instead, I find myself buying older American toys before all the cost cutting and downgrading happened.
>>
>>6163884
>99.9% of the world doesn't care about your collection

I'm glad I can come here and discuss it with the .1% that does then. Toy collecting is fun as shit.

If you're really tired of it, just sell everything and find a new hobby.
>>
File: worm_1024x1024.jpg (61KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
worm_1024x1024.jpg
61KB, 500x666px
>>6163884
>It's like heroin addiction
Anon, have you ever seen what happens to people addicted to drugs? If this is like a heroin addiction then you need some help. Addicting, yes, but you can control it by keeping yourself on a budget or restricting your spending habits.

Based on your post it sounds like you aren't enjoying this hobby anymore or what you collect at least. Maybe try branching out or trying new hobbies all together. I don't do it because other people like it, I do it because I like it. Don't have any friends to talk to about it, but it's alright. I still talk to people on forums (outside of this one too).
>>
File: grimkids.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
grimkids.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
I'm on the edge about the manchildren cave syndrome. I have more toys than space, and while each of the toys individually are super cool and fun to tinker with, displaying all of them together will look cringy and disastrous aesthetically (for example pic related, not mine). As a result I only display like 5% of them (1 detolf in my apartment) and shove the rest into storage unit which makes me feel kinda bad, but not as bad as looking at manchildren mess when I try to cram in as many toys as I can for my display.

Since I'm not a poorfag to make up for it I tried to donate 1:1 to charity, so for every toy I bought I treat it as trophy but still the manchildren cave syndrome is really creeping up to me fast and it's making me anxious.
>>
>Has anyone noticed this? It's like heroin addiction.
Not even close. Don't diminish what drugs do to a person's body, your body won't shut down from not buying a toy.
>You're constantly have less money than you could've had,
Same can be said of any hobby where money is required.
>mostly in bad mood
Rarely if ever affects my mood except when I do something stupid and miss out on a good deal or have to pay more to buy something because it sold out too quickly.
>become a petty nitpicker over everything
Applies to just about any hobby. You aren't going to consume z-tier movies if you don't have to. You aren't going to buy games full of bugs or shit gameplay. You won't listen to music that sounds horrible to you. Picking out flaws is what SAVES you money in toy collecting.
>and once there's slight glimmer of happiness when you open new toys, but then it all fades away and you need to collect more to complete your collection
Don't worry about completionism and buy the things you want.
>you stuff your new toy into an overcrowded shelves and just let it sit there, dust it every year or so, and argue with other petty people in cambodian basket weaving imageboard.
Once again, applies to almost any hobby. Games, music, books, etc. It's going to sit there when not in use at that moment. Does a piece of art become less valuable or enjoyable because you aren't actively touching it?

It sounds like you aren't enjoying the hobby anymore but it sounds more like you desire acceptance from others and just don't like being financially in debt. Maybe have some compulsive addiction like tendencies. Of course if you switched hobbies you need to recognize it may not solve your issues. So don't make some spur of the moment decision you will regret later and instead do some calm introspection into why you feel this way and what you can do to make things better.
>>
>>6163884

>99.9% of the world doesn't care about your collection

Well, you're not collecting for them, are you? Why should you care about them?
>>
>>6164049
Adding to my previous post, here's some pointers I can give about buying toys and enjoying them:

Only buy what appeals to you.
Don't get into the trap of "collect them all" UNLESS you honest-to-God like almost all the items of a toy line/release/wave/assortment.
The only times I've ever collected them all or close to it, was with G.I.Joe: The Pursuit of Cobra, Ziggeru Hazzeru (the lastest super robot themed assortment), Kabaya Duel Knights candy toys, Transformers Classics (2006), Star Wars McQuarrie concept figures, Hot Wheels Road Wars, Glyos Armorvors, Lego Exo-Force, Hero Factory, and Bionicle.

If the toy is from a line known for figures jumping up later in value, then buy/preorder now.
If the toy is from Japan then buy/preorder now. Otherwise you will regret it later most likely be paying a higher aftermarket price.
If you're concerned about paint applications/quality-control then buy it now if you come across it in person.

If a better/improved version of a toy is coming along and you already have the first version then that's up to you what you do. Either keep both, sell the old version before the new one is widely announced or drops, or wait and see if the new version is superior because it may end up being worse.

If you cannot find a toy in stores then you may just have to buy it online (looking at you Deadpool). Not everyone will come across Darth Revan and not every store in your area would even stock him. Most times retail is slow and selection sucks ass. Online is king.

If you find a toy (misb/used, new/vintage) you don't want/collect priced cheaply for sale but you absolutely know it sells for a lot of money online, then buy it, sell it, and use the profits to fund your keeper toy purchases. This has helped me fund my toy buying while keeping my regular paycheck still in the bank.

Don't believe the hype. Just because something is hot right now, unless you know they won't be making more to meet demand, don't go nuts trying to buy it.
>>
>>6163884
The fact you collect toys in the first place shows you have some kind of problem linking back to your childhood. Normal adults don't collect toys.
>>
>>6164188
Not him but how about dealing with the display problem? I feel bad not displaying most of my toys, and I also feel bad displaying all of them since it looks like a clusterfuck. It's a lose lose situation either way
>>
File: cff.png (65KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
cff.png
65KB, 625x626px
>>6163884
>all these long winded responses

this should've been enough if you really had the urge to reply
>>
>>6164205
>>6164198

It usually is a lose-lose situation. Unless you have a dedicated room for your collection.

I don't display 90% of my stuff. I just go to the box it's stored in, take it out, and play with it for 15-30 minutes. Then put it back. This keeps stuff free of any dust, sun fading, or falling off some goddamn shelf. I'm too busy a guy to play all day. I don't even have time for my game systems anymore. Damn PS3 still sits unused since 2014. Now I know why stupid mobile phone games are so popular. They're for busy on the go fucks like me.

My real issue time. Has been since college. Never lets up. But when all the work and chores are done I can sit down and enjoy a toy or go online or to the store and buy something.

My toy collection dream is to sell off my unwanted items and one day I hope to have a windowless toy/game room that I can safely store and display everything.

But right now little free time is my main enemy for enjoying my toys and selling off my unwanted items. Right now I've been devoting a few hours a night each week to preparing all my for-sale Transformers. Hopefully I can start selling them off this weekend.
>>
>>6164198
That is bullshit.

I know plenty of adults you'd consider normal that DO collect toys and also other things such as cameras, coins, vintage furniture, books, comics, golf clubs, baseballs, cars, dolls, guns, stautes, replica model planes, model kits, rc cars, rc planes, vintage clothes, jewelry, watches, ceramics, video games, board games, etc.

They work hard to make a living and have the extra cash to enjoy their hobbies. Some older folks I know worked very hard when they were young so they could have high paying jobs that allowed them to track down what they wanted to collect (when they were kids) years later and not have any increased aftermarket prices pose a problem to them.

Everyone has something they enjoy amassing, even if it's a small amount. Everyone goes about differently on how they're going to pull off collecting their things of interest.
>>
>>6163884
>It's a "waaah waaaah anon fucked up and now miserable because of this hobby so everbody else must be too because he's too autistic to figure out that not everyone is as retarded as he is" episode
>>
There's literally nothing I'd enjoy wasting money on more.
I don't drink, I think travelling is mostly a waste of money, I think any dish that costs more than the eat all you want buffet tier is the same as getting mugged, and I can just pirate books.
>>
I have hoarder syndrome. I cant part with any of my toys once ive bought.
>>
I'm relatively new to the toy collecting game, though I have prior experience with TCGs, both MTG and Pokémon, books, and Pokémon on the games themselves.

For me it's always been about what's fun and interesting to me. Can I learn something from it? Do I take something away that's positive and benefits me in some way? If the answer is yes, I'm cool with it. If I didn't do this stuff, yeah I'd have some more cash, but it'd just sit collecting dust. I'd rather have cool toys and books collect dust than a stack of cash I'm saving in a miserly manner.

Bottom line, do what makes you happy. No matter what it is. That's the rule of life, of there are truly any rules.
>>
id say the worst things about this hobby are
>more demand than supply
>hard to find, now it's on sale somewhere
>aftermarket after you miss it or wait for it to drop
>shelfwarmers
>all that traveling for nothing when it isnt there
>>
>>6163884
This is how all hobbies are, anon. You can give up and do something else, but I guarantee you will end up in the same situation. You just have a terrible outlook on life in general.
>>
>>Thinking having money is worth anything in itself
>>Being obsessive
>>Being a pessimist
>>Being a hoarder

The way you experience life is shit. It's not toys lad.
>>
File: IMG_2076.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2076.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
When I was about 15 I realised that I wasn't collecting toys for the characters or to complete lines. I was actually obsessed with the 'hows' of toys: I liked models because the building portion interested me, I collected figures with complicated joints because I loved how they were constructed. I started making plush as a way of working out the 'hows' myself, the fact that my creations sold was just a bonus after spending so much time figuring out how to make them. I became more and more obsessed with making toys, eventually I discovered that I could major in it and went to school for industrial design. I'm in my final semester now and I'm finally focused entirely on toy design courses. Every semester one of my first homework assignments is to go to TRU and buy three toys that catch my eye. Many of these end up taken apart over the semester to see how they work. I collect to see, and to build, but not to have, and I am happy. Likewise I sell what I make, but I don't make to sell. The joy of someone else treasuring one of my creations would be enough if I didn't need money to live and keep creating.
>>
>>6163884
It's ain't toys it you my friend
>>
File: 435072705144.jpg (104KB, 1025x726px) Image search: [Google]
435072705144.jpg
104KB, 1025x726px
>>6163884
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B29YStCYorY
>>
>>6166669
Did you make that Octopus?
>>
as many other people have said...toy collecting as an addiction is not about toy collecting specifically, it is more about you needing it as some way of dealing with something else

if you are taking collecting this seriously and it is affecting your life then you should sit down and think about what you might be missing in other aspects of you life. Most people who collect find a balance amongst other things
>>
File: IMG_2077.jpg (2MB, 3021x3021px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2077.jpg
2MB, 3021x3021px
>>6167069
Yes. I want to make more types of plush with printed fabrics. My professor suggested some kind of characters so I have to figure out a theme this semester.

>>6167085
If by 'shilling' you mean 'posting with no links to purchase or useful, googleable information to find a place to purchase', then no.
>>
>>6167810
Just look at Lovecraft for character ideas.
>>
>>6167810
That is a cute critter.
>>
File: Bob-Saget.png (519KB, 580x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bob-Saget.png
519KB, 580x480px
Toy collecting is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. Now that's an addiction, man. You ever sucked some dick for toys? No, I didn't think so.
>>
>>6163884
I have more money now than I've ever had before. Keep your financial woes to yourself.
>>
>>6168144
That's a fair point
>>
>>6163884
I actually don't know what you're talking about, other than feeling like I shouldn't buy some toys I want because I'm broke. I really enjoy my toys and haven't had problems with significant other abt it. I also don't care whether or not the 99.9% of the world cares about my collection or not as long as I can find them in stock and I can pay for them. You're in the wrong fucking hobby if you're in this for other people to care about your collection.
>>
>>6163884
Hmm.
I go through bouts of this. Mostly the real "downside" is that I just have so. much. stuff.
I don't mind displaying all my stuff but space is a concern, I also do consider sometimes it looks like a fucking miniature comic shop kiosk or something (my current apartment bedroom is really small).
The thing I hate about toys is that they have very little liquidity. When you get tired of toys, even if they are MOC and new they are really hard to sell for anything less than pennies on the dollar. I know that isn't everyone's experience, but it has been mine.
I am sitting on a ton of stuff from various lines that I don't necessarily want t keep, but I also don't want to let it go because I would rather just hang on to it than accept 1/10of what it is worth.
>>
>>6164079
What I hate about not displaying my collection in all is that I know I have so much good stuff that is just chilling out in a bin....and it makes me think what's the point of even owning it?
I have literally bought new stuff, brought it home, and put it in storage for lack of room.
>>
>>6168680
I'm having this issue too. I've begun to sell things on ebay and give stuff away to family and friends because there's just so much that I own that I don't even get use out of.

It's to the point where I want to eventually get it down to just 3.75 stuff, toku stuff, and transformers, but parting with things is hard because of attachment. Like, part of me wants to ditch my ML, MOTC, and DCUC stuff, but then when I try to go through and get rid of stuff, I think "I like these though" and only end up giving up like 3 or 4 of them.
>>
Sounds like you're not so much collecting OP, but rather, filling a void
>>
>>6163884
99.9% of the world doesn't care about you as a person so what's your point?
>>
File: IMG_1421.jpg (416KB, 800x1037px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1421.jpg
416KB, 800x1037px
>>6168677

> sometimes it looks like a fucking miniature comic shop kiosk
hey no, don't do that anon, c'mon now

>they have very little liquidity
really? I've found the opposite to be true. lots of modern toys retain most of their original value, on ebay at least. however lots of stuff that is old but not vintage, is worthless.

>>6168680
why not rotate out some stuff once in a while? also if you notice something that never makes it into the rotation, maybe it's time to sell it. sometimes I have something I really like but decide to part with it, because it just doesn't fit in with any display I want.
>>
First off, avoid talking about toy collecting online. Whether it's here or other forums, most users are bitter as fuck and that attitude rubs off. Just use /toy/ as a news source if you're not posting in the more creative threads. Second, try making things with your collection. Try getting into figure photography, or painting garage kits, or plastic models. The benefits are twofold - the joy comes from what you make with the toys rather than just the purchase of the toy, and discussion circles where there's consistent new content in the form of people sharing what they've made tend to be a lot less toxic than those without.
>>
>>6163884
Sounds like the problem is you, my man. I fucking love looking at my shelves. And the whole "manchildren cave" thing doesn't mean shit, especially now when everyone considers themself a geek. People will look past anything if you're a good enough dude.
>>
>>6163884
I get this way about collecting A LOT. And I'm never happy with the quality of them anymore. The little QC errors that most people wouldn't notice bum the shit out of me. So no, you're not alone.
>>
>>6164231
Question to you and everywhere: I mean, how likely is sun fading to occur if the room in which I display my stuff never gets sunlight? I keep the shades closed during the early morning sunrise and only open them once direct sunlight is no longer an issue.
>>
>>6170358

Not likely. However, all things will degrade over time. Nothing's permanent after all. Of course, this will take a significant amount of time, so no need to worry over it.

My collection room has blinds on the windows but some sunlight does get in. It's not direct sunlight though, most of the time. So far, have had no problems. I'm probably going to get some curtains though.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480452806441.jpg (34KB, 750x852px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480452806441.jpg
34KB, 750x852px
>>6163884
One of them broke out of their containment board! Get the nets!
>>
File: 1480306120571.jpg (60KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
1480306120571.jpg
60KB, 500x450px
>>6170319
>most users are bitter as fuck and that attitude rubs off
I disagree, Lego, Doll, Kaiju, and 1/18 are fantastically positive and civil groups that know how to avoid shitposting/bait and have a very upbeat attitude about the hobby.
Marvel and Star Wars are curse with being popular brands as a whole, shitposting for those two go up everywhere on all related boards when something new drops like a film or major event and for the most part it's just shitposters baiting other shitposters.
Now Transformers fandom is what you describe sadly. I have no fucking clue how they stay so bitchy and bitter, they will grumble about anything and it always rubs off the image of a lonely person that has lost control of his life. I mean something cool happens like last year's 30th anniversary 1986 movie release and they spend more time bitching about Bay's movies then talking about the film they supposedly love. It's like they will hit some mass depression if they are not bitching about something in the fandom.
>Just use /toy/ as a news source
I can't speak for every thread but most are rather slow getting news that hits sites first. In fact most news here is just copy pastes of the big name toy sites so If news is the goal I'm not sure /toy/ is the place to go.
>>
>>6170413
/toy/ is a pretty bad place to get toy news as it's spread across multiple generals and in between masses of shitposting.
If you don't care for up to date news, then yes the first post of a general is probably great for getting toy news.
>>
>>6170418
But see that logic just falls apart then. If your logic is bad community and slow/bad news why come at all?
>>
>>6170413
>I mean something cool happens like last year's 30th anniversary 1986 movie release and they spend more time bitching about Bay's movies then talking about the film they supposedly love. It's like they will hit some mass depression if they are not bitching about something in the fandom.
I had four friends that their first post/tweet about the 30th film Ann. was basically "It's better then what Michael Bay shits out" mind you two of them are 30+ living at home never having a SO and that could be a factor in that love/hate they have going on.
>>
File: hoarding trash.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
hoarding trash.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>6170421
To feel better about one self that others have it worse?

But seriously, I'm with that guy. The generals here are shit and makes finding out about new toys pretty hard to do, but it's easier than other forums. All threads are out in the open, vs sub-category 1A, thread 434324.
>>
>>6170428
You guys do know there are quick news sources right? Just tying your toy brand in google and selecting the news section gets you up to date quick.
>>
File: lost_planet_hardballer.jpg (155KB, 919x870px) Image search: [Google]
lost_planet_hardballer.jpg
155KB, 919x870px
>>6170433
but what about Japanese toys?

And you're talking about going to multiple websites, whereas /toy/ will have most anything worth discussing on page 0 if not page 1.
Much easier to browse... except for lines that almost no one talks about, not even major sites.
>>
>>6170418
I think it's okay--not great--for learning about in-store sightings and such, but FB groups are probably better for that.
>>
File: Shark.jpg (101KB, 900x726px) Image search: [Google]
Shark.jpg
101KB, 900x726px
>>6170438
>but what about Japanese toys?
yes
>Much easier to browse
You click on the news link, it's not much different than clicking the link in the general here.
I get it if you like being here but it's hardly ideal or even good for any toy news unless you are at that age where navigating the internet is hard for you. Even checking multiple sites is just a quick "open tabs" button of all your bookmarks sources. It's actually easier than here really where threads cycle out and die. More so if it's like the TFGs where those losers start fresh as soon the bump limit is reach. Actually now typing this out I don't see any advantage news wise that one would want to come here, it feels more of an excuse, like a kid telling their mom their toy collection is "collectors items".
>>
>>6170457
in-store sightings is greatly pointless when most threads here struggle to get over a 100 IPs in a thread. Even by space magic all 100+ are actual users and not sameposters on different devices that's still such a small sample that saying "Found item X at Y" Might help one person and that's me being very generous. /toy/ is a very small group which is why the communities can be so polarized in quality.
>>
File: end my suffering.jpg (32KB, 342x324px) Image search: [Google]
end my suffering.jpg
32KB, 342x324px
What the fuck else am I supposed to spend my money on?

>work 42 hours a week
>don't drink/smoke/do drugs
>no interest in travelling
>pirate all anime/movies/tv shows I watch
>get takeout a few times a month
>very rarely buy new vidya
>gf is very low maintenance, likes to eat out now and then, usually pays something towards the bill

I'll admit I need to cut down on flavor of the month shit and impulse buys but there's nothing I love more than ordering something off Mandarake or HLJ and eagerly awaiting it coming in the post.
>>
>>6170462
What are some good sites for Japanese toy news?

And we're entering 3+ sites now, vs just /toy/ btw.
>>
>>6170496
I dunno anon, maybe save the money?

lol jk, buy more plastic
>>
>>6170513
I use Tomopop and myfigurecollection
>>
>>6170535
That's the plan my dude :^)
>>
>>6170537
Horrible.
How is myfigurecollection even useable for news anyway?

This is all shit compared to how /toy/ just drops everything on the front page.
>>
File: 1453215583181.jpg (7KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
1453215583181.jpg
7KB, 246x205px
>>6170513
>And we're entering 3+ sites now
Are you in some 3rd world place where every time you have a new tab up you are charged or are you just that autistic/old that 3 tabs is a chore?
>>
>>6170776
going to 6 sites vs one.

I mean, why have a walkman, a cellphone, a paperback, a porno mag, and a camera when my smartphone does everything?

i'm not missing anything by not going to those news sites, whereas if i stopped going to /toy/ I'd miss impressions and photographs of brand new toys. And to get these impressions and photographs, youtube is pure shit when it comes to getting any sort of review. One picture can say a lot more than 5 minutes of blurry shaky demoing and there is no immediate feedback of people wanting to see the figure do something, or at least answering questions about it.

seriously, fuck watching 5-15 minute reviews just to find one thing out about it. I dont know how anyone can bear watching those asspies with speech impediments rambling about shit i dont care about like the fucking box or how the torso only gets to there
>>
>>6170881
>when my smartphone does everything?
Enjoy your shitty battery time, poor reception, lack of sex life, and sideways grainy photos then!
>seriously, fuck watching 5-15 minute reviews just to find one thing out about it.
I know, it's so hard to use fast forward! When will smartphones just do that for us??
>>
>>6170881
This is like saying lacing your shoes is to hard.
>>
File: scrubbing video.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
scrubbing video.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
>>6170906
>it's so hard to use fast forward!
Do you remember VHSs? And the switch to DVD?
With VHSes, you used to fast forward SLOWLY and hope you got to the right scene, whereas with DVD, the chapters are all listed, so you can instantly get to hte right segment you wanted to.
Reading a review vs watching a youtube review is sorta like that.

Scanning the text with your eyes allows me to get to what i want to see within seconds. And if there are images, which there almost always are, its almost as instant.
Video reviews? Constantly guessing on what they're fingering and thumbing with their pudgy fingers and hoping they're talking about that specific thing i want to know... only to find out that they're instead ranting about the paint at the elbow instead of showing where it rotates.

Fucking internet is for the illiterate now.
Thank god 4chan basically forces you to type.
>>
>>6170496
Start fishing it really helped me
>>
>>6170921
You can generally skip past the first five or six minutes of any review (box art, character description, unboxing) and get right to the good stuff. Most good reviewers have a set formula they go with. For example, Pixel Dan (who I'm going with, because he's got a formula that he almost always follows) will do viewings of the box, followed by viewings of the figure and it's various accessories and alternate parts, then goes over articulation and action features, then compares it to an older version of the figure, and then gives a recap of his opinions of the figure. And yeah, he's kinda shilly, but at least I know where to go in his videos to find the information I'm looking for.

Shartimus Prime is pretty good about following a formula too.

To be honest, I try to watch many reviews on a product I'm not sure about, just to see various opinions and to see if there's anything that another reviewer might have left out of their review.

The only time I really have a problem finding information is on things like "Is the head on this version of the character swappable with this other version?" which is the kind of question I would post on /toy/.
>>
as someone that have actually used heroin... toys are a much better
>>
>>6163996
This is literally my life
>>
>>6163884
I enjoy my doll collection but then I don't just keep buying new ones. Since they are BJD, they need a certain amount of stuff per doll and a nice display space and some props. I'm getting ready to downsize a little to better enjoy just my favorites even though my collection is less than 20 now. I get a rush buying new things, sure but my main enjoyment comes from playing with my dolls more than the acquisitions aspect (the hunt, the deciding, the buying, the waiting, etc). I'm learning to refine their styling and getting better at photography so that is fun too.

The overstuffed collections stacked several deep on shelves with even more in storage just seem excessive to me, I wouldn't enjoy my toys if they were like that. I'd rather have fewer and display them with some space and actually interact with them. Quality over quantity.
>>
>>6170496
>What the fuck else am I supposed to spend my money on?

find a loving woman and start a family. what? don't tell me you wasted your prime age for finding a good woman buying toys.
>>
>>6170471
Hadn't thought about it like that, but you're probably right.
>>
>>6171578
KEK at this degeneracy
>>
>>6171855
It's a good feel really. Nothing like coming home and everyone there is excited to see you.
>>
>>6170471
>>6170471
Actually, back when GI Joe and 1:18 in general was still popular, /toy/ was immensely helpful in finding out what stores had which figures and new waves.
This, plus a lot of card benders, is why i was able to find complete waves for most lines i was collecting back then.

You forget that we have a ton of lurkers here and their willingness to help out other here on /toy/... at least, in 2009-2012
>>
>>6166669
That sounds fun.
>>
the two things that make this hobby insufferable are waiting for the toy to come out/appear in a store and waiting for the price to cut down if it will. A job is the only productive time-killing device that makes the wait hurt less
>>
>>6168144
>You ever sucked some dick for toys?
I'd suck a dick for certain toys.
>>
>>6163884
>99.9% of the world doesn't care about your collection,

Meh you have it easy OP. At least you probably collect the kind of stuff /toy/ is interested in. Some of us don't even have that.
>>
>>6168144
I would totally suck a dick and drink cum for Lego sets.
But then again im a fag so its a win-win thing for me.
>>
>>6172245
I remember one day I was at TRU with my brother after hearing about how people sometimes hide shit under the shelving units, so I went through the Marvel Universe, G.I. Joe, and Star Wars sections and removed stuff from the shelves so that I could lift out the shelving units. Sure enough I found some Marvel Universe figures from the latest wave hidden under some of the shelving. I bought Future Foundations Spider-man and immediately went on 4chan to tell people what figures I had left behind and the location of the store in question.
>>
>>6171107
You type like you're on heroin.
>>
>>6175840
>>6175840
Man, /toy/ used to be so much better organized back then.
It's not that people are nicer or less trolly. It's just that people here used to try to do things together.

Today, you guys can't be arsed to do shit. Meet ups, wikis, FAQs, group buys, and reporting waves/stock.... all that shit no longer exists here.
>>
>>6171578
Why not both? Every semester I've been in toy design courses the class has been 50/50 to 30/70 male/female, and a lot collect weeb trash/waifu figures themselves.

Lots of women are into toys and toy design, just gotta work on being likeable for reasons besides shared hobbies.
>>
>>6171107
>toys are a much better
That's...debatable.
>>
>>6163884
I used to get real pleasure from toy collecting. Ordering something, the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive, the exhilaration of finding it in the mail or at the front door, then holding it and examining it with your own eyes, finding a place to display it. Felt real good.

But now I'm depressed and get nothing from the toys I own. They're just there. I don't feel like arranging them or even selling them. I even begin to feel embarrassed by them sometimes.

But that's more to do with my stupid broken brain than the toys.
>>
File: 20170213_225541_1487048164001.jpg (291KB, 1336x1484px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_225541_1487048164001.jpg
291KB, 1336x1484px
Yeah, I reached the stopping point for figures, maybe one or two things trickle in every other month or so. At least I can find enjoyment in the ones I already have. Ranko best girl.
>>
>>6166669
patrician, the most.

probably from all 4chan (except /mu/ autists)
>>
This thread is a bit of a wakeup call. I mean, it's nothing I didn't know already, but I think I was kind of willfully ignoring it.

I am drowning in toys right now. I haven't even touched or seen some of them in literal years. I've been putting off downsizing my collection because I was busy with work and felt it would be too much hassle to sell them....but I guess I should start. Clear some space and let some of these toys go to people who would actually enjoy them instead of letting them sit in storage.
>>
>>6166669
>>6167810
Can I buy something like this somewhere?
>>
File: no.gif (1MB, 200x147px) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
1MB, 200x147px
>>6171578
>Women
>>>>>>>>>Children
>>
>>6170496
Pretty much this.
>>
File: alien zeros.jpg (204KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alien zeros.jpg
204KB, 1600x1200px
>>6170944
>wasting all that time on a shitshow video just to get a tidbit of info that can be gotten in 1/4th of the time with written reviews.
it's pretty sad that videos have become so popular, instead of getting clean concise photos and thoughts.
Showing something like this in a video takes all of 20-50 seconds, as they fool around with the camera to zoom in or focus, whereas this photo was handpicked to show exactly in all of half a second what the reviewer wants to show.
>>
>>6163996
>>6171112
Same
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.