[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Funko Pop, /toy/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 15

File: Funko-Pop-DC-DKR.jpg (274KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Funko-Pop-DC-DKR.jpg
274KB, 970x545px
Redpill me on Funko Pop, /toy/.
>>
>>6158997
They don't really do much. On the other hand they somehow have a lot of licenses probably due to low overhead. People on here complain about them because they want Nendoroids to be appreciated more. That's pretty much it.
>>
They're largely inoffensive toys but perhaps too expensive for being simple rotocast items. They only move at the neck- though I think a few were made as bobbleheads due to licensing issues. I THINK anyway, I am not 100% sure.

They also get a lot of licenses but they tend to aim for cheap stuff too so their lineup gets flooded with crap. They've somehow made around 1000 of the damn things as a result. Despite the major popular licenses they got a lot of weird choices like Golden Girls thanks to grabbing anything remotely low-priced. That had to be real cheap, I don't see that beating out I Love Lucy, Honeymooners or a multitude of other better sitcoms otherwise. Although weirdly they neglected their Hasbro licenses and made very few based on TF or GI Joe.

Another big issue is that more often than not the characters have far better toys out there. Unless it's an obscure property where you are stuck with a Pop or a ReAction.

The market on these things will crash in 10 years or so, they make too many. They'll be neat to grab for $5 apiece or less when that happens. They are at least better than those terrible-looking overpriced ReAction figures.
>>
>>6158997
Absolute shit that has hugely contribute to the degredation of toy quality in general, and wasted so much shelf space at stores that shouldn't even have them.
>>
>>6159045
>They only move at the neck- though I think a few were made as bobbleheads due to licensing issues. I THINK anyway, I am not 100% sure.

You're right. Because of Hasbro licensing, Marvel and Star Wars ones are bobbleheads.
>>
>>6159053
>baaaw 4X priced nendos don't sell as well

Maybe if Nendoroid stuck to chibi licenses they'd be pretty good. Sonci was a start, but it's a brand perfect for Cave Story, Maple Story and stuff like that. Most of it though is wasted on making pointless chibis of characters that have better toys. Linkin Park? Sorry but their music is shit.

Pops aren't good but at least they have a bit of a unique look that isn't solely "beach ball head on shrunken body" with a hefty price tag for what you get. And you can buy them domestic without import costs.

>save for Gamestop which charges a fucking fortune, more than you'd pay even online
>>
>>6159045
>They are at least better than those terrible-looking overpriced ReAction figures.

At least those are back with Super7, maybe they can improve it.
>>
>>6159067
>at least they have a bit of a unique look that isn't solely "beach ball head on shrunken body"
Except they literally don't have a unique look and they literally are beach ball heads on shrunken bodies
>>
>>6159072
>Except they literally don't have a unique look

so name other brands that look exactly the same
>>
>>6159067
Who the fuck even mentioned nendoroids?
>>
>>6159053
It's not just Target's and Walmart's, think of all the comic book stores and conventions that are littered with these things. I went to Frank and Son over the weekend and I'm still surprised at just how that place turned into POP central. I'd like to know how bad it's gotten outside of SoCal.
>>
>>6159030
>People on here complain about them because they want Nendoroids to be appreciated more
Loyal Subjects are better, with more articulation, better styles, and only cost about $10 with the same level of QC.

I would buy way more hipstershit if they were as articulated as these figures.
>>
>>6159083
Someone in this thread is trying to make this a Fuckno Poop vs. Nendoroid fight.

The fact of the matter is, it's not even a fight. Pops can't put up a fight. Try to make this picture, or any sort of interesting display, with Pops. You can't. They have one shitty expression and one shitty pose. YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THEM. Not even take a picture other than 'crap standing on a shelf.'
>>
>>6159279
The way you argue doesn't help your cause at all. I kinda feel bad for you.
>>
File: miserable-miku.jpg (40KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
miserable-miku.jpg
40KB, 600x400px
>>6159322
I'll let pictures continue to argue for me, then. Do this with a Pop.
>>
File: Deathnotenendoroid.jpg (228KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Deathnotenendoroid.jpg
228KB, 1000x1000px
>>6159323
Or this. This is one Nendoroid doing what it would take three Pops to do.
>>
File: nend.jpg (147KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
nend.jpg
147KB, 680x680px
>>6159324
Accessories, posing, swapping faces and swapping pose parts. I wish there were a little less waifus 2bh and a little more western stuff but they're much better toys.
>>
>>6159323
>>6159324
>>6159329

they're still ugly and overpriced. I'd rather have a toy that doesn't have a head bigger than the rest of the body.
>>
>>6159351
Yes, as far as GSC things go Nendoroids are basically inferior Figma. Their only advantage to Figma is that the consistent stylization makes Nendos from different properties look better together than Figma. Figma, or any decent import/specialty scale figure line, are still objectively better for one's money than Nendos.

But that's only an aside from the main point, which is that Nendoroids > Pops.
>>
>>6159351
you seem to be in a thread where subject matter is always big head small body anon
>>
my problem with Funko POPs is their stylization is absolutely fucking disgusting; with those soulless black eyes and the same, shit-squatting pose.

Funko has shown the capacity to make far superior vinyls, as with Mystery Minis (I'll admit I caved on the Fallout ones to get some Vault Boys), but for some reason people eat POPs up.

We only have one Nendo in our house, which is my wife's Wind Waker Link, but I don't see how they can even be compared. One is a super-deformed style figure, the other is a naff bobblehead.
>>
>>6158997
They literally drain any single ounce of personality the original character has with their (lack of) style
>>
>>6159257
I just like that they actually look different while still being in the same style.
>>
File: 20150111_183023.jpg (498KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20150111_183023.jpg
498KB, 2448x3264px
>>6158997
-They have basically every license ever, so fill collection holes if you want some merch for something with nothing else
-Some of them are surprisingly pretty good despite the aesthetic/size/price backet
-Most of the nonhuman characters look decent
-The secondary market has completely bottomed out over the last couple years. Everyone that has the money to buy the old expensive stuff already has it, nooblets won't pay for it. Funko only exacerbates the problem by flooding the market with continual releases, re-releases, and artificial scarcity that encourages scalping.
-Mystery minis at one time were superior, but now they are reverting ALL lines to the hyper-stylized look. Minis have the same problems as pops only with an added blind box bullshit element added.

I think that about covers everything I can redpill you on. I collected them pretty heavy for a couple of years and did several customs but now even the custom market has completely dried up.
>Pic related, 1st custom I completed.
>>
They are irrelevant in other countries other than USA and a couple more. I'd never import this hideous shit, but would probably impulse grab a few like a snickers bar if it was readily available.
>>
File: IMG_7534.jpg (425KB, 1241x1624px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7534.jpg
425KB, 1241x1624px
>not exclusively buying Dorbz™
Do people actually do this?
>>
>>6159351
I think that's more of a problem you have with the whole super-deformed aesthetic in general. Which is fine, but at the same time, what are you doing in a thread that's entirely about SD toys?
>>
>>6159067
I feel like you're completely missing the point of these sorts of toys. They're not supposed to be perfect proportional representations of the characters, they're supposed to represent a wide variety of characters in a consistent style. It's like how some people might want to hang up several picture frames of the same size rather than each one being a different size - it's about the aesthetic of them all together, not individually.
>>
File: 2017-02-02-08-05-16-1422288310.jpg (12KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-02-08-05-16-1422288310.jpg
12KB, 260x194px
>>6158997
But anon. Look how cute this gamorrean guard is.
>>
And this adorable little astromech!
>>
File: 109369.jpg (101KB, 1000x713px) Image search: [Google]
109369.jpg
101KB, 1000x713px
And Admiral "It's a guy pretending to be a girl!" Ackbar
>>
>>6161361
Pops at least have a cartoony aesthetic to them. Nendoroids are just ugly.
>>
>>6159030
>People on here complain about them because they want Nendoroids to be appreciated more. That's pretty much it.

no, because they're cheap, easily accessible and normies like them, so elitist think they're stealing their hobby
>>
>>6159030
>>6161527
No, it's because funko are cheap pieces of shit that lack qc, and are ussually the only form of merchandise some series get.

They only look normal if they are doing something mechanical, non-human, or something obscuring the face. The souless little eyes are the worst parts.

And Nendo's are overpriced crap.
>>
I feel the styling of them is the worst part, so if that doesn't bother you, maybe theres nothing else to say. I find it wasteful that for most funkos, over 50% of the figure itself is the generic square face and the actual distinguishing part is a tiny body. I think thats why most of the non-humans/robots look fine

anyways, besides the asthetic probably these are the other 2 worst features:

>smelly vinyl/plastic that will probably start to leak in a few years
>any actual rare ones you have to fight an army of normies for
>>
>>6158997
It's like a pyramid scheme for collectible stores only that nobody even pretends that you will get your money back.
>>
>>6161417
Nendoroids are more charm than a desktop toy as it demands more attention to care and preservation. Also the boxes are bigger therefore better.
>>
Casual collectibles for normies. They are hated on toy because they are for normies, it's the facebook of toys.
>>
>>6161566
I guess it is like a pyramid scheme in that the capitalist monetary system is in and of itself a pyramid scheme.
>>
>>6161917
No. Funko Pops are sold as these really profitable "toys" that sell like crazy so some stores order a lot of them and then have to sit on them for the rest of their lives because nobody actually buys them after the 2-3 pops people actually wanted are sold.

Dumb commie.
>>
>>6161574
>they cost more so I have to justify spending the money somehow by pretending I didn't waste money

>as it demands more attention to care and preservation

literally what? You mean shit like the 1mm thick wrist pegs and such that Japan loves to use that break so easily? That's bullshit, not quality.
>>
>>6162080
I'm sorry your hands are ham, anon
>>
File: pops.jpg (416KB, 1531x1532px) Image search: [Google]
pops.jpg
416KB, 1531x1532px
>>6158997

Fuck the ones that are human with no mouth. Typically the ones that aren't human are the most interesting. Plus they have a VERY wide variety in licenses so there's something for everyone.
>>
File: goo.jpg (9KB, 302x338px) Image search: [Google]
goo.jpg
9KB, 302x338px
>buying funko pops ever
hahaha
>buying funko pops and leaving them in a box
HAHAHAHA NIGGA WHAT ARE YOU DOING
>>
>>6161417
It's the other way around for me. As far as SD figures go, Funko Pops have less effort put into stylizing them; Not to mention Nendoroids are more accurate to the source material, are expressive, and come with cool accessories. They're more expensive, but you're paying for a quality product. I don't think there's even a contest.

I get it, the jerk behind hating Funkos can be annoying. But there's a reason for it. I'm not gonna go autistic on an anon if he says he collects Funkos. But when you compare Nendos and Funkos as collectables, I think Nendos are better.
>>
File: collection1.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
collection1.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>giving your money to major IPs
plebs
>>
>not handsculpting and casting your own toys
>>
>>6162613

>I get it, the jerk behind hating Funkos can be annoying. But there's a reason for it. I'm not gonna go autistic on an anon if he says he collects Funkos. But when you compare Nendos and Funkos as collectables, I think Nendos are better.

As someone who collects both Nendos and Funkos, I agree and appreciate you wouldn't gie someone hell for collecting them.
>>
File: 11uyjkh.png (6KB, 373x409px) Image search: [Google]
11uyjkh.png
6KB, 373x409px
>>6162615
i dont care for homostuck but please tell me there's a vinyl of Bro?
>>
>>6162641
only the beta kids. bro is a p generic design tho, you could probably either mod dave or find something else to base it on
see
>>6162618
>>
>>6159079
Is this satire?
>>
>>6162487
>Stimpy has buttcheeks.

I now have a greater need to get the Chase Stimpy.
>>
>>6162487
I don't usually like funko, but that I dig that finish on stimpy's fur.
>>
>>6162615
None of those are pleasing to look at
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.