[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being judged for what you buy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 15

File: images.jpg (4KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 266x190px
Have you ever been judged for buying a expensive figure, my parents hate that I spend 25+ pounds on nendoroids.
>>
>>6154127
Definitely back when I started out with Transformers, I was an impulse buyer. Family criticized my actions which I spent about 500 dollars worth in a year. Calmed down nowadays and I usually just spend 150-200 dollars on toys of any kind in general.
>>
My mom doesn't say anything but I'm pretty sure she's secretly judging me. My dad doesn't really care but he lightly teases me a bit, especially if he comes in and I'm changing out face plates or positions with my nendos "playing with your toys anon?" Lighthearted teasing like that. He can't really talk since he somewhat collects model cars. My sister makes fun of me constantly, not because of collecting them, but specifically because I have all six of the Osomatsu-san nendoroids, because she hates it. (I find it pretty hilarious because she used to adore it and now she rips on it every chance she gets)
>>
I'm too old to give a shit what people think about me. Besides, one of my parents is dead and I only see the other on holidays.
>>
>>6154182
I used to be really into mlp and I had some of the mystery minis, since then I have got rid of them
My parents constantly teased me, and it still bothers me today with my nendoroids.
>>
>>6154259
God what was I thinking back then
>>
>>6154127
I lied about a figure's price once. It was 120 I said it was 80 and he freaked out
>>
>>6154127
I haven't lived with my parents for ten years but my father still frequently gives me shit about buying toys. Never on the fact that they're toys, but on the money amount spent.

He wastes money on way worse shit than toys. I've realized he just wishes I were giving him the money instead. He does ask me for money and gifts all the time.
>>
>>6154127
>$550 quarter scale iron man
>$100 NECA 1/4 Alien
>multiple $220-250 1/6 hot toys
>dozens of Star Wars 3 3/4

And I live at home. As long as I have money for my bills including tuition, my parents really don't give a shit.
>>
>>6154492
Pshhhh, everyone does that.
I remember telling my parents what I paid to import about eight figma from Hlj during a winter sale that I paid $125 when in reality it was about $200.

They never give me shit for it cause whenever I visited or talked to them, I never asked for money. Also, they collected themselves (mom-Barbie, dad-GI Joe and Hot Wheels.
>>
File: 1483767394074.jpg (163KB, 750x745px) Image search: [Google]
1483767394074.jpg
163KB, 750x745px
>Parents judge me for spending 20-30 dollars per figure
>They spend roughly 30 dollars a week on smokes
>>
File: IMG_7986.jpg (175KB, 750x1099px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7986.jpg
175KB, 750x1099px
>>6154597
>tfw your brother spends all his money on booze and coke
>spend some money on toys, put most of it away
>he is their favorite
rinse and repeat
>>
>>6154908
He'll die before he reaches the potential your parents see in him. Do they know he's buying drugs?
>>
>>6154919
He's not very discreet about any of it. As far as I know though, he's never told them outright. Honestly though I'll probably always be their second choice.
>>
>>6155283
It's fine. You don't need them to favor you more even if you deserve it; it may sound harsh, but you do you. You're obviously doing better than him as it is, so just keep up the good work :-)
>>
>>6154597
>dad spends more on beer than I ever will on toys in my life
>"Are you crazy, paying those prices for toys?"

Joke's on him, he's literally pissing his money away.
>>
>>6155424
But he'll have a failed liver to show for it! He's a reayal mayon!
>>
I just spent $350 on an order and got lots of shit for it.

To be fair it was a pretty fucking big order.
>>
>>6154127
Why would your parents be upset about you trading weight loss for toys? That sounds like a pretty radical deal t b h.
>>
>>6154577
$200 for 8 figma? that's awesome deal.
>>
>living with your parents

apply yourself
>>
File: guts-01.jpg (3MB, 1500x2250px) Image search: [Google]
guts-01.jpg
3MB, 1500x2250px
Bought this Guts statue for $460 last year at a convention. The only person who gives me shit about it is my mother, but she also knows I save a lot of money.
>>
Feel bad for you guys that get shit on for your hobby. Most people would get off your case if you flipped it back and broke it down on how much frivolous shit they buy. A lot of people can criticize, but they usually shut the fuck up when put on the hot seat themselves. That's what I'd do, but really nobody has ever had a problem with my collecting.
>>
If you're not 18 you're not allowed to post on 4chan.

If you're over the age of 18 and still living with your parents, you shouldn't be spending your money on toys.
>>
Not that I'm aware of, my family actually like my nendoroids, and who cares what random strangers think.
>>
My mom got angry if I spent $2 on a ham sandwich for lunch, there is literally nothing she doesn't bitch at me for spending money on. Even when I buy materials and supplies for my business it's an issue, so I just got good at hiding purchases.
>>
>>6155928
im 19
>>
>Out with friends
>See saiyan saga SH Figuarts vegeta when he just came out for $40
>Buy it
>Friends criticize me to whole way back for spending $40 on a toy
>Keep telling them it would go way up in value
>Sold it for $175
>>
>>6154127
I judge myself more than anyone else. My mom gets excited when I get something new. She used to collect shit herself.
>>
Well I've never been truly judged because
>anonette plays with dolls still, at least she doesn't whore around
plus I guess as a girl you can't really be judged that badly unless you're borderline autistic
>>
>>6155868
>burger tries to be funny
>>
>>6155912
I'd give you shit for buying statues if I was your dad.
>>
I can't fucking stand how judgemental people get over toys because they see them as "childish". That's what the judging is really about otherwise they'd also be complaining about:
-Average movie ticket is $12, popcorn is $8 and drink is $5
-Average night out dining for two is $20-30 + tip
-Average cost of name brand shoes is $100-200
-Average cost of pretty much anything women buy is $80-200+
-Starbucks in general

I could go on. My point is...cheaper alternatives exist for almost everything I listed and yet people have no problem splurging on name brands or more expensive options. Yet if you spend $30-40 on a toy they act like you just murdered the son of God and rag on you non-stop.
>>
>>6155912
>statue
your mother sounds reasonable
>>
File: TellMeMore.gif (125KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
TellMeMore.gif
125KB, 500x455px
>Be at the office.
>PO something like months ago.
>Payment request: fulfilled.
>FuckYeah.jpg

>Cell phone rings. Wife is calling
>(Anon, what's this charge for?)
>Oh, do you remember I PO this?
>(Wow, that's expensive!)
>Yeah, I know, don't worry, I'm transferring some money from my savings account to our shared one.
>(Ok, just tell me next time before.)

>Co-workers overheard everything
>Problems on the paradise?
>How did you spend that much?
>What?! You're fucking nuts.
>She was right to be mad at you, I would leave you.
>You didn't want to spend money on this, but that much on that?

>mfw

Eventually one guy side with me. He basically said "if is your own money, do as you want", although he regularly smokes weed, so... well, at least he supported me and eventually we began to talk about something else.

Also, another girl from the place turned out to be fan of the show and she was kind of jealous.
>>
>>6157552
damn, must have been a buttload of funkopops to get everyone in a tizzy like that
>>
>>6157552
>although he regularly smokes weed, so... well, at least he supported me
It's pretty funny that you're being judgemental toward the only guy who wasn't judgemental toward you in a sea of assholes.
>>
>>6157552
>Trouble in paradise?
>I would leave you.

These kind of people are the worst. Being passionate about your hobby is considered "immature", but the idea of leaving someone for such a petty reason and being a nosey gossip are perfectly acceptable behaviors to them.
>>
>>6155424
>>6157552
Man. I collect toys, drink alcohol, AND smoke weed.
>>
>>6157552
>being so cucked your wife calls you and humiliates you when she sees you've spent money
>>
>>6157588
>Shared account with an unrecognized charge for a significantly large amount.

I dunno, anon, seems like a legitimate concern. Were the tables turned, would you not do the same?
>>
>>6157552
Why would you preorder something on your shared account?
>>
>>6157592
She really has you by the short hairs, doesn't she?
>>
>>6157592
I still don't think that's worth calling someone while their at work, why couldn't it wait?
>>
File: wew lad l.jpg (19KB, 301x279px) Image search: [Google]
wew lad l.jpg
19KB, 301x279px
>2017
>still giving a shit what people think about you
>>
>>6157601
>>6157602
Man it's like people don't know about identity theft and fraudulent charges.
>>
>>6157602
That's because your mom takes care of this stuff for you.

When grown-ups see a large unknown charge, they like to take care of it right away.
>>
>>6157626
I have a joint account with my gf cuckboy. I'm smart enough to use it for bills only and I keep my own account for personal expenses. If your wife was concerned about fraudulent charges, how did expense get brought up? Why wouldn't she text you? Did your butt get spanked red that night?
>>
>>6157626
>>6157618
>anon doing damage control so his wife doesn't see this and peg him hard
>>
>>6157638
>implying I don't want to be pegged hard
>>
>>6157634
Right hands aren't legally recognized as people and are therefore not able to share a joint account, despite your intimate sexual relationship.
>>
>>6157634
>has to hide his pesonal expenses from his girlfriend
>thinks other people are the cuck

Man, I'm glad my SO is accepting of my hobbies.
>>
>>6157634
You know, I read the original story and it sounds like she's not even upset about it, just commenting about the price. Anon's story even says "Ok, just tell me next time".

That sounds like a healthy relationship, with communication. But I guess someone with unrealistic or unhealthy views of what it means to be in a relationship might interpret it differently and see it as a negative thing.
>>
>>6157656
I don't hide them, she can see any of my transactions if she wants to. Having seperate accounts allows us to both spend money without being weird about eachothers expenses, and avoids situations like cuckboy's here.

>>6157647
stale, u can do better
>>
>>6157662
I don't think we know enough about anons relationship to make that call; but it read as a little irritated and resentful.
>>
>>6157662
>good communication

>entire situation stemmed from not communicating that he used the shared account

>wife is suprised about the price like she isn't aware of the cost of his hobbies

>wife telling him to tell her next time even though he has already rectified the situation

Its really sad when pussywhipped dudes make so many excuses for their pitiful situations
>>
>>6157689
Protip: people in satisfying romantic relationships usually don't feel the need to get worked up and drop long strings of cuckbombs whenever someone mentions having a partner.
>>
>>6157716
This. He's trying so hard to prove that he's not a cuck by showing everyone else what cucks they are by comparison. Insecurity is such a sad thing.
>>
>>6157729
>The "if you don't like x behaviour you must be x" meme
Wow thanks dr Freud, very insightful of you.

Let me propose an alternative though, that maybe your wife calling you at work and humiliating you, then being berated by your coworkers with your effeminate dick tucked between your legs all the while making excuses for everyone involved, is distinct cuck behavior.

The only person you took a potshot at in that story was the weed smoking guy that stuck up for you. Sad.
>>
>>6155928
I'm 21, I still live at home and collect toys. I am a full time student and have a part time job in retail. My parents emplore me to stay at home because I'm still in school and I should wait until I'm done to move out and worry about an apartment and bills. Since I go to college locally (Univeristy of Michigan) it wouldn't make sense to live in an apartment when I can live at home for free 5 minutes away from school

Life is good
>>
>>6157751
Not that guy, but you're really not doing anything to convince us that you're not an angry permavirgin. Your poor typing ability isn't helping, either.
>>
>>6157760
If you have nothing to grasp at but my typing and percieved virginity, you're not doing anything to convince me I'm not 100% right.
>>
>>6157755
You are making the right choice anon. I moved out when I was 19 and needing to pay rent and shit was a huge distraction leading me to graduating two years later than I should have and taking out too many loans.

>tfw could be spending that 700 dollar student loan payment on toys every month
>>
>>6157804
But I don't care what you think, and I don't think the anon who took a phone call does either. You're the only one in the thread who seems determined to convince the other posters about the true nature of an anonymous user.

I say this as someone who is in a happy relationship with a real person: just let it go!
>>
File: seal.jpg (14KB, 215x184px) Image search: [Google]
seal.jpg
14KB, 215x184px
my dad is an enabler
>>
>>6154127
Only insecure, beta faggots worry about this shit.
>>
>>6157812
That's what I'm doing now. Other than a car payment all my money goes into my collection. Im stocking up because I know I won't be able to buy shit once I move out
>>
>>6157542
did it not work
bummer dude
>>
File: sad mad max baby.png (2MB, 1430x1675px) Image search: [Google]
sad mad max baby.png
2MB, 1430x1675px
>it's another one of these threads again
>>
File: note of how many fucks I give.jpg (111KB, 1024x755px) Image search: [Google]
note of how many fucks I give.jpg
111KB, 1024x755px
>>6154127
I'm pretty sure my mom and stepdad kinda slightly judge me for buying this shit, but they don't bother say anything since it's my money and what I spend it on is my business.

Dad definitely would like it if I didn't, but again, my money, my choice how to spend it.

There is really no need to worry about being judge for buying plastic tat, especially if you live on your own, have an stable income and money over for it.
>>
>>6157598
Most of my personal money is invested on some local financial instruments, like bonds and such. I had to wait until the transactions were cleared so I could move it back to our shared account. Unfortunately, the auctions were set after the last day for my payment, and I didn't want to give explanations and ask for extra time, so I went to our shared account.

>>6157588
I don't get where are you coming from, honestly. My wife wasn't actually mad, last month she got a fraudulent charge for couple bucks (a taxi ride... in a different country), her insurance protected her account from further charges, but still. She's still kind of paranoid, so she noticed the charge right away, and decided to ask me before reporting it to the bank.

She's fully aware of my hobby so she was wondering if by any chance it was something related to it. In fact, because of my hobby a charge from a Japanese store was less suspicious than an uber ride.
>>
>>6154127
My mom buys Waterford glass which is the most expensive drinking glass you can buy.
My dad collects military gear (some of which I'm pretty sure he shouldn't have legally)
My brother buys Boats, huge ass trucks, etc to then sell them later when he discovers how little he uses them.

In short no one in my immediate family judges that I have a hand full of toys and a large tub of Lego bricks.

Now in the real world I get what feels like a lot of salt when they discover I haven't "grown up" and get either passive aggressive comments ("you'll have to grow up someday") or out right hate ("It's a waste of money, you know that right?") Some get even worse when they discover my wife is an enabler of the hobby. Back when Mixels were a thing she buy them and sneak them in my work pack so I have a surprise some days at work to combat the boredom of waiting for things to break or need maintenance and that was my first wake up call that a lot of people get sour/upset at the idea of a guy playing with toys.
>>
>>6157672
>stale
>calls people cuck

wew lad
>>
>>6155950
2 dollars is a good price for a sandwich. Your moms a fucking idiot, does she want you to build a house out of money stacks.
>>
>Once floated the idea of selling off my SAS collection to cover some unexpected bills for my parents, mother wouldn't allow it because they're her favourites, apparently
>Father makes scale models in his spare time, is fascinated by the engineering that goes into Bandai and Sentinel products, and keeps trying to work out how paint faces like Hot Toys

Then again my parents are the only people who really know I collect, I don't talk to anyone else about it so I have no idea how other people would react to my desk covered in Gundam, Star Wars, Patlabor and Guyver toys.
>>
>>6160992
Do what I do: just ask them a question.
"Oh, I'm sorry, do you pay my bills? No? Fuck off then."
>>
>>6160992
But you are an adult and have a job and a wife and responsibilities, so you are "grown up".

And it's not a waste of money if it actually brings you some joy and entertainment. I think people confuse "luxury" for "wasteful" these days.
>>
>>6155950
Sounds like your mother may have grown up in hard times. I was reading a book about the holocaust, and it really puts the whole miserly behavior stereotype into perspective. When you struggle for even the barest of necessities, everything becomes valuable to you. Saving food long after it's gone bad because you may be in a situation where it's all you have to eat. Saving scraps and parts of broken things because they can be repurposed used to repair other things. In troubled times, these insights can be useful. But if it becomes habit, you can start hoarding things unneccisarily.
>>
File: 2345678.jpg (49KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
2345678.jpg
49KB, 540x720px
>>6154127
Never stopped loving figures so my family kinda accepted that a long time ago. It was the worst when I was around 12-16 though since I didn't have enough money and nobody my age was interested in toys anymore (except for my best friend, who's still into them).
Now everything is pretty good, my brother gets me whatever I want for Christmas/bdays. Parents are also supportive. The only thing I don't have anymore is as much time as I'd like for the hobby.
>>
File: 198651.jpg (125KB, 600x843px) Image search: [Google]
198651.jpg
125KB, 600x843px
I live alone and have a part time job
fuck it man
i spend my money on the things i want
>>
>>6158840
If you don't like the thread, you can just ignore it.

Nobody's making you post in it. There's even an easy way to hide the thread in the catalog so you don't have to worry about seeing it!
>>
>>6157560
Bingo. This little shit >>6157552 deserves to be judged.
>>
>>6154127
I used to be into MLP, but I got rid of all that stuff, now I just collect a few toys here in there that I find interesting.

My mom asked me if I was regressing one day. It hit me pretty hard, because she's always been the cool one about stuff.
>>
>>6162961
same anon, i mean il still watch if a new series is on but im not big into it anymore
>>
>>6161311
When I was like 8 she used to give me $2/week allowance. She would get mad if I soent it cuz she wanted me to save it to buy a car.

>>6161408
She never went through hard times. It's about control lol
>>
>>6154492
I do that too. If my family knew how much I spend on these little toys I'd never heard the end of it. I'd be made fun of for life.
>>
File: IMG_20170203_195526.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_195526.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is £56, im going to tell them its £35
>>
File: IMG_20170203_195424.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_195424.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>6163618
better picture
>>
File: IMG_20170203_200138.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_200138.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
I on a non toy related note, I also bought this for £90(which Is a bargain since there's only 2000) but my parents still freaked out when I said it was £60.
>>
It's [spoiler]hopefully[/spoiler] your money. So long as you're self sustaining, it's fucking nobody's business as to what you spend your money on.
>>
>>6163637
My mom came in and saw em, and I don't know why but I suddenly got extremely embarrassed and tried to get her out of my room
>>
>>6163803
I instantly told it was from an anime, the n she immediately ask how much so I told her that it was £18 and she "thats dear"
>>
>>6163827
then at half ten my dad (at night!) reminded me to brush my teeth, then suddenly my mom comes in asking me to show my dad the figures.
MFW https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZ8N9mCzLQ
>>
>>6163827
>thats dear

Did she mean "that's adorable", or "that's expensive"? Because it can mean either of those things in the US.

>>6163838
>my dad (at night!)
Who's your dad during the day
>>
>>6163075
Human being need recreation. If your mom honestly thought you could save for a car with 2 dollars a week she's stupid. I'm not saying you should've gotten more, but she shouldn't of judged you for spending it.
>>
I was judged at first, but I've always been obbsesed with comics, movies, shows, and pop culture in general. It was just a bipproduct of me loving things enough to buy memorabilia.
>>
Have more than a dozen figmas and a couple of scales and nendos. My mom knows how much they all cost and she would often comment how I could've spent all that money on something else more useful. Then again she really can't do anything much about it as I have a job and am paying all the house bills to boot. She does leave a comment sometimes on a specific figure or two.
>That's one's pretty cute
>Why is that one have breasts so big they look like melons!
>>
>>6163650
>>6163618
lying about the cost of your hobby is one of the warning signs.
>>
When I first bought the NECA Coraline bendy dolls for, like, $20 each, my mom bitched at me because I was paying too much for them then. Just wait til she sees the prices for them now ;)
>>
>>6154127
Yes, I've actually had people trying to shame me for wanting to buy unofficial Third party figures just because officially there are no good offering, in this case it's Overwatch and it's lack of anything beyond statue shit and pops.
I told these people to get off their high horses since it's just toys.
>>
>>6173253
Are you going to sell them, or are you going to hold onto them until they lose all that "value"?
>>
>>6155928
>he fell for the moving out meme
>>
>>6154127
My parents see me buying a couple of figures every year and and just see it as a hobby. Since I spend my own money on them they really have no room to complain.
>>
I used to have those Sailor Moon dolls my mother bought for me the five main senshi. So she wasn't really surprised or anything when I got the five Madoka girls as figmas.
>>
>>6155424
kek'd
>>
>>6157812
That's the worst possible thing to do with student loans. You'll have to eventually pay it back, with interest. Use it for what it's suppose to be used for; tuition & living expenses. Otherwise, debt. You'll regret it later, almost everyone I know who did this did eventually.
>>
>>6187609
I'm pretty sure he means that because he's paying off his student loan, he doesn't have that extra 700 dollars a month to buy toys with. Not that he's thinking about using some of his student loan to purchase toys.
>>
>>6187662
Why don't you let HIM answer Mr Helper? He's a big boy. He can take care of himself.
>>
>>6187676
Different anon here; that was clearly what he was saying.
>>
>>6187676
Okay, original poster here, that's what I meant.

Though I did spend some of my dispersements on dumb shit desu
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.