[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the quality suddenly drop so low?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: transformers-g1-0502_1191621243.jpg (115KB, 797x1151px) Image search: [Google]
transformers-g1-0502_1191621243.jpg
115KB, 797x1151px
Why did the quality suddenly drop so low?
>>
>>6142395
Kek when my 30 year hand-me-down figures and my Armada trilogy toys are still held together and newer figures from CW and TR have shoddy QC, lighter plastic that has stress marms fresh out the box, and joints looser than my own mother, I think it's a safe deduction that the materials newer TFs are made of are shittier than toys of old. Go to/lg/ and ask about the drop their brand has had in quality as of late for more insight on this phenomena.
>>
>>6142395
A) They where somewhat rushed designs, based on Floro Dery's artwork, which where very high concept and not taking the limitations of a physical toy in mind.

B) There was probably a shift in the design team; the old Dia clone team had changed so there where probably a different team doing the 86 toys and beyond, versus the 1984 and 85 toys
>>
>>6142407
Oh. This isnt a bait thread. I need to go to bed I guess. Sorry guys, Im a faggot.
>>
>>6142395
>>6142411
I always thought it was because the old Diaclone toys were made by Takara and had a particularly decent level of work and design put into them, but G3 and beyond were just Hasbros team haphazardly knocking toys together to keep the merchandise train moving and didn't quite capture the design of the originals.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 300x277px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 300x277px
>>6142510
>decent level of work
>>
>>6142510
Pretty sure Takara had a hand in the 86 toys and beyond. The scramble city combiners where Diaclone concepts that weren't made untilHasbro commissioned them. And Takara definitely had a hand in 87 and beyond, where the aesthetics start looking more traditionally Takara
>>
File: FinnOnebox11.jpg (694KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
FinnOnebox11.jpg
694KB, 1000x750px
>>6142514
Remember that the original Diaclone toy that Ironhide was made from was never meant to be a sentient robot, but a piloted battle machine.
>>
>>6142741
On a sled?
>>
>>6142783
>trying to reason with g1 toy apologists
>inb4 something about muh lovable bricks
>>
>>6142395
shame the price didn't drop also.
>>
>>6142407
You're retarded.

>>6142395
They were rushed as shit and I believe made in the west, by people who didn't design Transformers.

Things got better after the movie line, though.
>>
Because you're a mistake.
>>
>>6142395

I like post-diaclone/microman/whatever Transformers better than the originals. I mean they are great toys but afterwards is when the brand started to come into its own as an aesthetic.
>>
>>6142783
Yo dawg, I heard you liked battle machines...
>>
>>6142794
They have
Adjusted for inflation, powermaster prime was 55 but the new one is 45, sometimes 40.
Legends were 7 bucks, adjusted to 12.50
Your average voyager is probably the biggest bang for you buck, considering its 25 bucks for one, and back then that was about 11 bucks
Comparable to toys like jazz
>>
>>6142395

Honestly, I like the Transformers from that era. While the Diaclone/Microman based TFs had intricate engineering with chromed parts, they were also fragile as fuck. 86' onward sort to rectify that.
>>
>>6145485
>they were also fragile as fuck
If you had hamhands.
>>
There are two reasons:

The first two waves of Transformers were Diaclone and Micro Change transforming toys rebranded Transformers for the West, with additional toys from other toy lines tossed in from failed animes or in the case of Jetfire, from a popular anime grabbed before it could be sold in the US.

Around the time the second wave of Transformers came out, Takara (who created Diaclone and Micro Change) decided to cut a deal with Hasbro over the future of the line.

Basically they would shut down Diaclone/Micro Change as separate lines and work together to sell Transformers to Japan and work together to focus all of their resources and energies into Transformers, as equal partners.

This meant that wave three of the G1 series would feature new toy molds created exclusively for the US market instead of recycling older toys from failed lines. There would be SOME carrry overs (Scramble City and Metroplex and Raiden) but for the most part, everything was new and geared towards the Transformers brand.

Second is Floro Derry, a Hasbro designer who worked on the cartoon and who was charged with creating the movie cast that would be introduced in season three/the movie. Floro was a brilliant designer for animation but absolutely dog shit when it came to creating character designs that could be made into action figures.
>>
>>6145506
>If you had hamhands
Implying children understand this concept

Also
>roofs made entirely of clear plastic

>>6145485
>86' onward sort to rectify that.
At least until the introduction of gold plastic
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.