[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BJD/Asian Doll Thread: GONE WITH THE WIND Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 70

File: DSCF6542.jpg (389KB, 976x636px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6542.jpg
389KB, 976x636px
Last thread >>6100493

FAQs:
/toy/ - bjd.buyfags.moe
/jp/ - dollfaq.buyfags.moe

Doll news and company list:
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/companies-other-links/

WIP Database/Height comparison:
>dollection.fi

Doll magazine scans (patterns!):
>plus.google.com/112174196208952755265/photos

Common sealants for faceups (there are more, but these are most frequently used):
>Mr. Super Clear Flat/Matte (UV-cut is preferred)
>Testor’s Dullcote (tends to get dirty easily)
>Citadel Purity Seal
>Zoukeimura Finishing Powder (it’s a spray by Volks)
>Liquitex Matte Medium (airbrush)

The general population of /bjd/ are anti-recast or are pretty much neutral on the subject.
Stop beating the dead horse every thread by asking.

Our threads are mostly dedicated to Ball-jointed dolls and other dolls in the Asian market.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
>>
>>6133915
fucking weirdo
>>
Recap of last thread:
> Face up tools and brands
schmincke pastels, MSC, Purity Seal, the Zoukeimura spray from Volks

>kayke hate

>>someone paid for this
toddler face up artist and toddler commissioner

>1/6 sewing
Do this by by hand for best results

>BJD collection goals
"I'll never be good enough despite spending tons of money"

>Denaliwind
Was she scared out of the hobby by crazies?

>porcelain casting
might be kewl, but more expensive. Volks is testing a new product line related. Granado is going vinyl.

>Andreja
Dat voice, her youtube income, and tutorials.

>Volks - humans dressed as dolls

>Furry dolls
"Fucking furries."
>>
So I fucked up during restringing and it looks like I warped my doll's arm piece. What the fuck do I do beside panicking?
>>
>>6133940
How is that even possible? Is it really cheap resin? It can't be vinyl since its strung..? right?
>>
>>6133943
It's hard to explain. I used a too big S hooks to string the hands. Me being a complete dumbass cunt of a newb I basically forced it in the hole, and it started pushing the arm from inside out. It's a thin small doll so I guess that's why it warped. but now the part where the S hook was, from inside there's a dent and from outside it's bumped. Ofcourse I took the S hook out immediately but now I have no idea what to do.
>>
>>6133959
The only thing I can think of is to try heating it with a blow dryer, then let it cool down to see if it will return to its original shape.

I have no idea what material your doll is made of. If it was resin, then it would simply crack or chip from something like that.
>>
>>6133959
Whew, lass. Can you share some photos of the damage and include the sculpt of your doll? The more information we have, the better we can help.
>>
>>6133959
boiling might help
>>
Ok guys so, MSC, Purity Seal, the Zoukeimura spray (Volks) are the most common sealants being mentioned are any of them considered the 'best'?
Like are there specific pros/cons to any of them?
I don't have an air brush so that isn't an option. The doll I wish to do a face up on is a resin doll if that helps any.
>>
File: zxcxvbn.png (557KB, 773x514px) Image search: [Google]
zxcxvbn.png
557KB, 773x514px
>>6133972
>>6133988
>>6134005
It's the Doll Chateau Kid body. In fact the one Agatha sculpt from last thread.
I thought of removing the extra wrist joints but the S hook that comes with it is too big for the string channel. I guess the hook is selected specifically to only fit the extra wrist piece.
Unfortunately it won't show well on my phone but the red area is supposed to be thinest part and be a smooth transition to the rest of the forearm but now it's bumped and looks swollen compared to the other wrist. It looks worse in person. The spot where the head of the hook was is whiter than the resin surrounding it like a big rectangular fingernail milk spot.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll heat it up to see what happens.
>>
>>6134095
Seems like a minor bump in that picture.

I'm not sure if heating/cooling will help make much difference.

The last resort would be to use sandpaper and sand it down smooth again. But you'll need to wear a respirator mask. Don't inhale any of the dust if you need to sand it.
>>
>>6134113
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm more concerned about the functionality of it than the aesthetic. I'm scared that spot may be weak now and if I string it, It might crack.
>>
>>6134044
Personally I like Zoukeimura the best. I find that pastels blend the smoothest and it didn't distort the color at all. Works especially well on tan resin for that reason as well.
>>
>>6134044
>>6134155
Hey, someone who prefers ZM over MSC! I thought I was the only one. I'm also going with Zoukeimura spray. It's just superior in every way (in my opinion). I use it on both resin and vinyl dolls.
>>
>>6134257
>>6134155
Is ZM also usable on painted statues/other things? Because I have only one doll and although I could redo the faceup at a later time I wouldn't want a lot of excess sitting around doing nothing, heh.
>>
>>6134257
ZM Also doesnt seem to be so finnicky with temperature like MSC, shit is just too tempermental for me. Purity seal is /ok/ but not as good. It gets really gritty and stuff seems to stick to it like velcro.
>>
File: 784561.png (1004KB, 794x646px) Image search: [Google]
784561.png
1004KB, 794x646px
>>6134044
It honestly depends on whom you ask, where that person lives, how they work and so on.

I personally love working with MSC, except for the whole tan skin issue.
However, I live in a mild climate (middle of Europe), high humidity or extreme temperatures are no issue here.
Only times I had trouble with it was before I knew how to handle it, like when I just started and sprayed parts outside in the winter.
I like the tooth of it, it's really flat and moderately easy to get and makes colors blend nicely.
Works well on all materials and I like their gloss spray too.

Purity Seal I had to stop using because all my last cans started to show ghosting no matter what I did.
Still have three cans standing here and no clue what to do with them, since even the support can't help and the "putting in warm water" method didn't help either.
Not sure if they finally fixed it, I have a friend who works for them and she's currently not happy with the spray either.
I also disliked how there is no truly flat option and to me it was always a little too smooth on resin when blushing with pastels.
It was great as base for airbrushing and painting on tan skin before the whole ghosting bullshit happened.
It also can't be used on vinyl and co., if you use it on something like a Monster High head you will turn that head into a slightly sticky dust magnet.

I can't get the Zoukeimura where I live, which is a total shame because I'd really like to test it.
No clue if Volks ships it abroad since cans and airmail don't mix well.
Also tested Army Painter sealant, but it has ZERO blending.
If you want really sharp lines that's great, but for blushing it sucks a little.
>>
I'm the anon with the fucked up stringing accident. I boiled the piece and everything went back to normal. Even the white spot almost went away. There is a very faint small white line left but the bump is completely gone.
Thanks for all the help anon-senpais!
>>
>>6133929
this is fun
>>
>>6134414
I'd say yeah, its made for working on plamo so most similar plastic/resin items are totally safe too.
>>
So is there any way to tell if doll parts are legit or fake through pictures. I really want a set of soom fantasy parts listed on ebay but the seller doesn't know if they're recast or not. They seem to have the companies original blushing but I can't be sure.
>>
>>6136750
If the owner doesn't know where it's from, it's probably a recast. To my experience most people who "don't know" about the origin of the item they sell, use it as a way to dodge disputes.
A way to know if an item is recast is if you request a picture from seller from inside the stringing channels of the parts. Recast dolls have a messy extra ridge that is left because of casting of the original channel.
>>
>>6136782

I contacted the seller and they were willing to take pictures of the stringing channels ( they were clean and drilled straight) and they were able to remember the original person they bought them from on DoA so I figured it was worth the risk. With loose soom fantasy parts nobody ever has the CoA because that always semis to be kept with the head. Makes buying fantasy parts separate a real pita.
>>
File: VOMIT.png (839KB, 761x764px) Image search: [Google]
VOMIT.png
839KB, 761x764px
>>6136894
well it seems like it's legit. It's nice of the seller to provide the proof. Congrats on the new purchase!
>>
File: DSCF6549.jpg (475KB, 997x644px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6549.jpg
475KB, 997x644px
>>6137080
Here, have some forbidden love instead of that pile of vomit.
>>
File: hmmmmmmmmm.jpg (426KB, 579x881px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmmmmm.jpg
426KB, 579x881px
>>6137147
Wow. Nice background! Hubby-san is a filthy cheater but a nice picture nontheless.

On a random note, my sadol outfit got shipped! It's my first time buying a proper well-made outfit so I'm really excited about it.
>>
>>6137351
That pic makes the pants seem almost skeleton slim.
>>
>>6137373
Maybe even skinnier than Lupin the 3rd.
>>
>>6137147
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
NTR.

I received my kitty from lillycat last week and she is a cutie.

Pro :
She came with a carrying bag instead of a box, and I though it was really nice and practical.
The joints are sueded with leather.
The faceup, body blushing and tatoo are very detailed and nice.
The wig is hand made, basically a cap made of glued nylon tight. It actually fit perfectly and is really steady on the head, unlike the factory wig. At first I though it was glued on.
I received it in a week.

Cons :
the left hear magnet was not glued on in the proper position, so the hear isn't as steady as the other one. But it still hol in place well enough.

Neutral
No vagoo.

Basically my favorite doll.
>>
File: boredatwork.jpg (211KB, 908x767px) Image search: [Google]
boredatwork.jpg
211KB, 908x767px
>>6137351
>>6138388
Thanks!

Congrats on your doll. Pics please.

And meanwhile...
>>
>>6138425
cuck !

She should cheat on hubby too and send him the sextape.
>>
File: maybeishoud.jpg (319KB, 990x614px) Image search: [Google]
maybeishoud.jpg
319KB, 990x614px
>>6138467
...but I haven't caught him yet.
>>
File: kitty.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
kitty.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>6138425
My new doll.
I really like her eyes.

I made the dress myself.
>>
>>6138542

The doll and blushing looks nice.

However, that room's lighting is awful for the photo.
Did you use flash? Flash usually doesn't help in compensating for poor room lighting to get decent pictures.
>>
File: wojak 01.jpg (6KB, 173x200px) Image search: [Google]
wojak 01.jpg
6KB, 173x200px
>>6138560
I never take photo. Not even selfies.
That's why this one is shit.

But I still wanted to share this cutie with you.
>>
File: tumblr_njkr0o60f81souhhuo1_1280.png (1MB, 797x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njkr0o60f81souhhuo1_1280.png
1MB, 797x1200px
>>6138564
Keep sharing, she's wonderful. Don't feel like you shouldn't because the photos aren't 100% artistic. If you keep at it, you'll get a feel for it eventually.
>>
Why is it such a big trend to over line the actual shit out of lips on volks sculpts??
>>
>>6138542
Anon, that dress is beautiful. It matches your doll really well. I love this.
>>
File: jesuschristhowhorrifying.png (370KB, 1022x421px) Image search: [Google]
jesuschristhowhorrifying.png
370KB, 1022x421px
>>6134414
I guess I'm that one person who does not like ZM spray. I may have gotten bad cans or something, idk. I have used it on some of my plamo and it seems inconsistent with coverage. When I tried to do a faceup with it, any pastel got really splotchy and made it look kind of like the doll has rosacea. I wasn't even really heavy-handed with it, so I just kind of use it for projects that should not be viewed up close (i.e., blushing Yaya's elf ears for a friend's cosplay). kek It's probably a bad can, but that kind of thing does not make a good impression.

I wish MSC weren't so environmentally picky, but I have better results with it.

I know many people are switching to airbrush methods for sealing (Andreja has, for example).

In the dark ages and poorfaggotry, I used Testors Dullcote, but it tends to yellow and attract any grime.

>>6135857
Good to hear! Also, the boiling method can be used to reposition fingers and stuff.

>>6136750
Recasts can't duplicate original blushing for shit, so you're probably safe.
>inb4 Oh anon, what about the legit DC faceups being totally off the mark?
Yeah, yeah.
>>
File: crappy mspaint magnet visual.png (23KB, 673x517px) Image search: [Google]
crappy mspaint magnet visual.png
23KB, 673x517px
>>6138388
Grats anon! The bag is awesome as fuck. Super roomy! I've got a Jolie and use extra magnets to hold the ears on through the wig. I made a shitty visual a while back. Hope it helps.

>>6138765
Agree with this anon. Outdoorsy pics can help bring out details too with natural lighting. I did a lot of outdoorsy pics with mine and it was well received.
>>
>>6139015
Perhaps the KAWAIIII~ DESU!!-thing.

Or, maybe Volks is aiming for a more expressive/ dramatic expression by doing that.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (2MB, 850x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
2MB, 850x1500px
>>6138542
I can't tell if it's better or worse (it might just be much worse), but I just used your doll for babby's first Photoshop attempt (sorry).
>>
>>6139029
`Not doll related per se but why does Testors Dullcote even exist? If it yellows and looks shit why would anyone use it for their artwork?
>>
>>6139137
I'd imagine it's decent for its intended use, which is on model cars and other plastic models.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1484988332657.jpg (197KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1484988332657.jpg
197KB, 1365x2048px
>tfw you want to take more photos of your dolls with really nice faceups but end up shooting them even less because you're simultaneously too scared of possibly damaging the faceup
>>
>>6139794
This is why I'm happy I do my own faceup work. I can just redo it if I fuck it up.
>>
File: 003.jpg (204KB, 646x2012px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
204KB, 646x2012px
Speaking of faceups, I got my LLT Neil head this week, and today I started work on him. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but he does need more work. I'm trying to paint him similarly to how he was in the promoshots. Don't mind how harsh the skin texturing around the nose looks, its a combo of using flash and the fact I haven't sealed that layer yet, as sealing usually dulls it a bit.

Now I can only hope that dollshe doesn't take a year to send out his body.
>>
>>6140592
Your work is so gorgeous. I need to use this for reference when I redo one of my girl's blond eyebrows. They came out pretty awful the first time around....
>>
File: IMG_20170121_212609.jpg (168KB, 628x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_212609.jpg
168KB, 628x960px
As if the shit splatter freckles weren't bad enough, you had to make the eyes wonky too?
>>
>>6140592
o shit, nice job BFB, i always enjoy seeing your work posted. even unfinished it's fantastic.
>>
Does anyone have any more info on the Denaliwind/PSP thing? Have they even publicly spoken since her trip out there? Either way it looks like PSP has made a new friend who has equally shit taste in dolls.
>>
>>6141106
Thanks! I think this is the first time I've done a decent job doing blond brows, they tend to come out too reddish or too dark. I think the trick is to have the base layer of pastel be super super light / barely there, and use as few lines when painting the hairs as possible?

>>6141188
Thanks! I just wanted to share the pics around because Neils are only just being sent out and there are almost no faceupped pics out there.
>>
>>6141112
wonky ill fitting eyes are like my biggest pet peeve. i don't understand how someone can look at their doll with their eyes all fucked up and not immediately do something about it. every time i put in eyes i spend AGES fucking around with them until they look right, and even then sometimes i'm not satisfied.
>>
File: datnose.jpg (442KB, 670x1055px) Image search: [Google]
datnose.jpg
442KB, 670x1055px
holy shit this fucking nose
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 224x225px
>>6141617
Must've been telling too many lies.
>>
>>6141617
For some reason he's kinda charming (more than Benjamin, the MSD version, was).
I could imagine him well as a Oz character, like the scarecrow, somehow.

>>6141602
Same, anon.
Unfortunately lots of dolls have wonky eyewells or impossible to find eyes for faces.

The DZ MSD in question (and the other old ones from them) all have that issue.
You either take big af eyes (they tell you to use 16-14mm for them) so there are no gaps but a way too big iris, or you have a proper iris and ridiculous gaps.
I currently have one of their first big guys here for a face-up and it's a nightmare to put in his eyes, but I always do for commission photos because too many people are weirded out by eye-less dolls.
>>
>>6141597
Yeah I fucked up big time since I had never done blond brows before and they're just thick and yellow but idk how to really fix them without damaging the entire faceup, so I'll probably just redo the whole thing when I get all the other heads I'm working on finished. I'll see if I'm brave enough to post pics when I'm done OTL
>>
>>6140592
I love your work. I wish I could commission you, but I understand why you aren't open.

>>6141617
Yeah, this guy and Benjamin are nightmare fuel to me. It has character, but.... yeah... at least some people like him, I guess.
>>
File: zxc.png (247KB, 466x748px) Image search: [Google]
zxc.png
247KB, 466x748px
>>6141617
The face is strangely cute. I have a huge urge to put woodgrain texture on him and make him a horror themed doll.

What's fucking me up however, is that centaur body. I don't think it suits the delicate face at all. WTF?!
>>
>>6141976
I always wanted a big centaur, but...not like that.

Come on Luts, give me finally my SSDF centaur!
I wouldn't keep the head (maybe not even the human body), but their centaur bodies pose well and look nice.
>>
>>6142009
adding: just realized he has proper pants, like, whaaat?
Soom never made pants for their hooved dolls, just weird skirts or draped fabric, and DC goes straight for proper pants on a centaur.

If I wouldn't dislike the DC joints and extra joints so much (I know you can remove them, but then he loses height) I miiight actually be tempted to get him and use a different head.
Still don't get how that little snowman morphed into that big ass guy.
Lil' unicorn Lillian to big Lillian at least made sense.
>>
File: 005.jpg (200KB, 650x2141px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
200KB, 650x2141px
>>6141758
Yeah them ending up too thick and yellow was definitely something that happened a lot. I ended up mixing goldenrod, white, a cool toned burnt umber, and the tiniest bit of a reddish brown sienna color and watered it down like crazy. I made two puddles, one cooler and browner, and the other more yellowish and then tried to alternate the hairs a bit. It ended up working out so i'm happy.

>>6141905
Thanks anon, I do like painting dolls, but not for other people. Plus I make a lot more with my job now so its just not worth spending my only days off from work slaving over someone else's doll for only $60 bucks. Even if I was getting paid $100 its not really worth it anymore.

Anywho, worked on my Neil again today, and I think he's about done. I'll look him over tomorrow to decide if he's ready to gloss or not.
>>
File: 20170122151651908.jpg (311KB, 670x1055px) Image search: [Google]
20170122151651908.jpg
311KB, 670x1055px
I'm just glad DC made sure to put him in a lewd bitch pose like his female counterpart.
>>
File: image.png (100KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
100KB, 500x275px
>>6141617
>>
>>6141976
That centaur body is too lanky.

I'd prefer if it was more buff and muscular... closer to a real horse body.
>>
>>6142031
>>6142031
Aren't you the person who said you tend to base your faceups on real people? This is reminding me of someone but I can't put my finger on who.
>>
File: pitt.jpg (177KB, 736x925px) Image search: [Google]
pitt.jpg
177KB, 736x925px
>>6142325
Ah, yes, though its not so much the faceups but the general look of the doll? I do a lot of collaborative writing, I guess you could call it roleplay but its not that "*teleports behind you*" shit, but multi paragraph third person writing. Anywho, in the roleplay I do people usually chose models/actors or whatever to represent their characters. So a few of my dolls are doll versions of my characters, so I sort of chose them based on a mix of the person/model I chose for them and how I see them in my own head.

My Neil is actually based on my friend's character, who's looks she based on Michael Pitt when he was younger. Neil really doesn't look that much like Michael Pitt, but they do share some things like a full jaw with a rounded chin, short noses, and similar brow/foreheads.

I plan to style him somewhat like this picture, I'll be making him a blond wig that's about this length and whatnot.
>>
File: bill.jpg (12KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
bill.jpg
12KB, 214x317px
>>6142325
>>6142350
Continuing. If Neil reminds you of someone it might be Bill Skarsgård? That's who I thought he looked like when I saw his unpainted in production pics. I think he sort of looks like if Skarsgård and Pitt had a baby that was better looking than the both of them.
>>
>>6141617
Oh shit this guy is charming as fuck.I'm really loving him, but goddamn I can't afford to dive into this hobby. How do you guys manage?
>>
>>6142493
i manage by not spending money on other things. i live close enough to work to walk or take the bus, i am pretty antisocial so i don't have a cell phone, and also being antisocial means i don't go out much so no spending money at restaurants/clubs/bars etc. I also live with my mother, though I pay the electricity and phone/internet/cable, part of the grocery money, and half of the rent. So basically I do have a lot of money to spare. Even then, I am very frugal with dolls, most of mine were paid for by doing faceups, or purchasing during events so I got free extra heads/faces to paint and then sell, therefore making it so I didn't actually pay full price for the doll in the long run.
>>
>>6142526
I'm nowhere near decent enough to do faceups professionally, but I'm getting there. Also been cutting back other unnecessary expenses. At least my birthday's coming up, I'll have to see what I can stash away.

>>6141976
What makes the centaur body weird is how short the middle is, and the transition from human to horse is too abrupt. Awkward, but still pretty cute.
>>
File: IMG_20170122_214322.jpg (134KB, 759x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170122_214322.jpg
134KB, 759x960px
Wtf island doll
>>
>>6142844
detachable soft vinyl penors when? Actually I'm positive someone had DIY'd one by now.
>>
File: Untitled.png (278KB, 624x499px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
278KB, 624x499px
Does DarlingDolls on youtube own recasts? I've been watching her videos because I like watching those little diy dollhouses come together but I just found this video and, call me crazy, I don't think Minifee's come in pillow bags.
>>
>>6142925
Oh, it's definitely a recast.
>>
>>6142925
Correct, MNFs (and other FL dolls) come in a box with black foam that has a cut out in shape of the doll.

I also am always a bit “eeeeh“ when people don't mention what doll they got.
There was this girl on Tumblr who got a recast Unoa and she never calls/tags it a Unoa, while she does it correctly with every other doll she owns.
But she also avoids calling it a recast.
It's obvious she knows but doesn't want to outright say it.
This person here is either the same or one of those “I bought my first BJD doll on ebay, because all research I did was literally typing in bjd on ebay and buying the first one I came across“ people.

>>6142493
I'm like other anon, lots of my hobby expenses were paid through commissions after a certain point.
Like, when Luts sold the knight outfit I just opened up two slots to pay for it.
I also started doing fashion doll (mostly Pullip) customs to sell.

On top of that I keep my collection small-ish because I tend to spend lots of money on clothes/wigs/eyes, and with a huge group I couldn't afford spoiling them anymore.
I try to wait for events and I am pretty patient.
You sometimes just need to wait for the perfect deal, even if it takes years.
It's also my main hobby by now, gave up Manga/Anime and conventions (got too old anyway) and just have gaming next to it.

If you think about it's not much more expensive than any other hobby.
Fuck, lotsa people haul around a phone in their pocket that is worth several hundred bucks without thinking much about it.
We just spend more at once, in other hobbies you tend to pay lots of smaller payments that end up piling up quickly.
>>
File: 1425077924477.jpg (14KB, 310x464px) Image search: [Google]
1425077924477.jpg
14KB, 310x464px
>>6142493
Tbh most of my dolls are sad-driven impulse purchases.
If I ever have a little extra cash I set it aside to savings and then use it to buy when I'm down. However I don't buy another until the savings accounts are back to their previous balance.
In contract, clothes/eyes/wigs tend to be happy purchases (IE, I made it through the week without killing myself so I'll treat myself)
>>
>>6142982
Well, considering now that I've gone thru and looked at her other doll videos, and she clearly outlines where she got her Smart Doll, methinks she's the "i know where I got this I'm just not gonna admit it" type and I am promptly gonna stop watching her videos.
Sick of people not being honest with their crap.
>>
>>6142925

Considering she disabled comments for that video she knows it's a recast and knows she'll catch shit for it.
>>
>>6142982
>I also am always a bit “eeeeh“ when people don't mention what doll they got.

When I first noticed this trend, I thought it was plebs trying to intentionally obfuscate things so they could look mysterious to other n00bs... But once I eventually saw the same people selling their unnamed Minifees for $200, I realized what was up.
>>
>>6143063
I get that anon. "Well I could kill myself or I could buy another doll... guess another doll isn't so bad right?"
>>
Well, I'm fucking excited.
>>
I think I'm about ten years late on this one, but do you guys have any suggestions on where I can get some Persecom ears for my doll? Do you think it might just be better to make my own? The only read to buy ones I was able to find were from Shapeways, and they don't even look that good. I really don't want to pay $55 for unpainted, 3D printed ears that look off, you feel? I'd rather pay more and get more (or less and get more, but that's not how anything works).
>>
>>6144917
Scratch that, I'm fucking euphoric. My wallet is livid, though.
>>
>>6145166
They just said on Instagram that the available colors will also all cost the same, so no matter if you buy normal or bronze you pay the same.

I already have a couple Granados (incl. the Uranus they use for the first vinyl version) and I am still tempted.
If they are cheaper than their resin counterpart I bet people will lose their shit.
Light, no extra cost for dark skintones, can hold poses well, looks like their resin dolls (and not weirdly deformed like DD/Smartdoll bodies with their tiny waists and wonky anime aesthetic).
Only downside is the staining issue and difference in painting/customizing.
>>
>>6144957
Unless you can get your hands on the Volks ones (good luck on that), it's probably either Shapeways or sculpting them yourself.
There are a few tutorials out there for human ones that you can use for BJDs too, and they aren't that complicated in shape anyway.

Just saw that the ones on Shapeways are by Silverbeam though, wouldn't give her a cent.
Her work is usually rubbish and she was a whiny cunt on DoD back then.
>>
>>6145166
Dat bulge tho
>>
>>6145280
Hahaha I meant that in a 'I wasn't supposed to buy any new dolls for a while, but I cannot resist this' sort of way. I've got a couple of Granado boys myself, but this is just hyping me up so much.

>>6145296
At least it's vinyl so you can squash it in a pair of pants? Hahaha.
>>
>>6144917
Price is out and WOW.
370$ regular, 349$ early bird price.

I already own an Uranus but fuck, I am tempted.
>>
>>6145968
vinyl dolls are more expensive to start up but are much cheaper in the long run.

hopefully he has a good joint system though otherwise you may be replacing pieces a lot.
might also be a good way to fight against recasting
>>
>>6145968
Let the era of half-price vinyl bjds begin.
>>
>>6145287
>the Volks ones
I actually did try to look for those. Definitely not happening. Anyone who has them at this point is not willing to part with it, and I don't blame them one bit.

I gotta agree with you. I don't personally have experience with Silverbeam, but I have seen some of her dolls in person. They looked bad and like there wasn't much effort put into the quality. I'd rather not have the ears look the same way.

I guess I'll just look for some tutorials then. I'm actually decent at crafting, but I wanted something super professional looking, you know? Probably better than nothing for the time being, though. I really want these ears. The fact that I can't get my hands on any is just making me want them more.
>>
File: assaulltlilycustom.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
assaulltlilycustom.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
I've been thinking of buying a couple of Azone Picco Neemo dolls (pic related)

Are the Assauly Lily dolls good? Does anyone have any pics of their own to share?
>>
>>6146034
I honestly trust Granado to deliver a well made product that lasts, unlike Volks who not only don't give a fuck but also tell you to basically suck it up.

>>6146056
I'm all for this.
I'd rather people buy vinyl versions than recasts.

>>6146075
Yeah, that's unfortunately true. No matter if you want the whole Chi or just the ears, no way to get those and if they show up they usually have aged badly.

I think making them yourself is really your best bet, and considering how easy they are you should be able to achieve a nice result if you are somewhat decent at crafting.
>>
File: aznalc028fpi_5_1481676975.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
aznalc028fpi_5_1481676975.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
>>6146114
I don't have any dolls from the Assault Lily line, but I have a bunch of other stuff from Azone. I can vouch for their bodies being both beautiful and poseable HOWEVER the original Picco Neemo S dolls have an issue where their wrists will sometimes break off when you're trying to change the hands. This has been fixed with the new Picco Neemo S body (D body never had the issue in case you were wondering), which I think the new Assault Lily bodies use. Attached picture shows the wrists of the newer bodies. If it doesn't have that, you uh...probably just refrain from trying to remove the hands. I thought everyone else was just ham handing their dolls until it happened to me. That's honestly the only issue I've ever had with Picco Neemo dolls. Other than that, they're great quality overall and super adorable to boot.
>>
>>6146150
Fairyland should have offered vinyl ages ago. 95% of people buying them probably don't customize them in any way. A $200 vinyl Minifee Chloe would destroy half of recasters' business.
>>
File: tumblr_oguv7yClyR1tad484o1_1280.jpg (448KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oguv7yClyR1tad484o1_1280.jpg
448KB, 1080x1920px
>>6146114
I have all the ones released from 2016 and just got into them last year. I quite like them but as another anon mentioned that the wrist can break easily. Only one has on mine since I pose them with Little Armory weapons so I'm constantly adjusting the hands.
>>
>>6146462
Sorry for the giant sized pic...
>>
>>6146056
Good.
>>
>>6146462
I was actually particularly interested in that one!
Do you have any pics with her normal smiling face?
>>
File: tumblr_ocg2y1kWbM1tad484o1_1280.jpg (158KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ocg2y1kWbM1tad484o1_1280.jpg
158KB, 1280x720px
>>6146555
Not at the moment since I prefer this face but its the same as you can see on her store page would you like a link? also this is my other one.
>>
>>6141617
I did it. I bought this bitch's head. FML
>>
>>6145166
I'm very excited for this line. Uranus isn't my cup of tea but if he releases an Enoch I'll snatch one immediately.
>>
>>6146576
Thanks. I was going to order both this one and Soraha on AmiAmi but as I was debating on whether I wanted this one orders closed.

Super cute, I'm going to get a couple.
>>
>>6146592
Yeah worth the money. Plenty of cloths out there for them and the faces and hands are great for posing etc. Looking forward to the rest to come since I missed out on the old ones.
>>
File: u wot mate.png (2MB, 1008x956px) Image search: [Google]
u wot mate.png
2MB, 1008x956px
>>6146462
I liked her face and did a lazy edit of it to use as a reaction. Is that OK anon?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLYKlh80Sw&feature=youtu.be

nice nice nice.
>>
>>6146981
Wow. Gorgeous!
Now Danny Choo can go fuck himself.
>>
>>6146577
I'm currently saving up for him, with the human body.He'll be my first real bjd, but I can't resist, too damn cute! I've gotten a bootleg realpuki recently to muck about with, so a real doll will be nice to have.
>>
>>6147453
Nice choice. I love doll chateau. My entire bjd collection is from them. I promised myself to not get anymore dolls but then Snowborn came out and I fell in love. I could only afford the head for now then I'll buy the body next year. I'm going for the human body as well.
>>
>>6147245
I don't think anyone wanting a vinyl man with anime an a esthetic is gonna want him though.
>>
File: 897.png (292KB, 397x538px) Image search: [Google]
897.png
292KB, 397x538px
Are some people really blind that they can't see how awful their dolls look? I've seen so many times where the wig isn't properly placed on the head or that the eyes are set in wonky? It's unbelievable.
>>
>>6148536
There is no way this isn't intentional.
>>
>>6148536
>even has pubes
DUDE
>>
Would anyone happen to know how Granado's tans compare to Ringdoll's tans? I am going to force a resin head onto that vinyl body if it's the last thing I do.
>>
>>6148640
Sorry I don't have what you're looking for but I wanted to warn you that resin and vinyl age very differently. you may find a good colour match now however in a few years the head will be a completely different colour than the body. I won't stop you from what you plan to do but keep that in mind.
>>
File: smugcat.png (548KB, 623x630px) Image search: [Google]
smugcat.png
548KB, 623x630px
>>6147245
Choo does animesque noodly bishounen, not realistic beefy one.
It's completly different.
>>
>>6148773
Yes, but the real issue with Choo is that he put zero effort into his guys and re-uses the same face a dozen times.
He'a pretty lazy, unless it's about marketing and pushing Smartdoll onto non-doll people.

>>6148640
Granado tan is a light caramell-esque color, Ringdoll is very orange.
>>
>>6148838
Sure, but that's not the point. Just because you want a vinyl bishounen doesn't mean you're gonna go for Granado's beefcake. Especially considering how badly it's gonna clash with smartdolls and DDs.
>>
>>6148640
You're better off getting a bronze body. Ringdoll is still more orange, and a little lighter than bronze, but it'd be easier to match.

Granado's Tan is more like olive skin.
>>
>>6148851
That's true.
There is still no nice looking anime vinyl guy out there that could work as boyfriend for a DD, you either have to use a female head or use flat-face Smartdoll guy with no dick (okay, and the fugly Obitsu one).

Just don't get how someone with no experience into vinyl dolls (Crocus from Granado doesn't even collect BJDs, yet alone DDs) can turn out a pleasant looking vinyl doll with great posing in a year while Choo, who was into DDs for years, can't even bother to make something without a pan-cake face.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (59KB, 499x358px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
59KB, 499x358px
>>6148886
>someone posts a photo story
>it's a DD+resin doll as gf/bf
>>
>>6148925
Even most of the resin dolls that have proper anime faces (like SQ Lab) are all girls.
So you either end up with a weird BJD/DD aesthetic combo or "female anime face on beef body" thing, because most 60cm+ BJD guys are at least somewhat ripped.
>>
File: DSCF6056.jpg (202KB, 653x979px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6056.jpg
202KB, 653x979px
>>6148925
Like this?
>>
>>6148838
Choo has just started releasing male doll.
He's a pioneer in that matter as Volks are too much sissies to inovate.

Sure his male doll are a bit derpy l, but so were the first DD.

Is there is demand for 2.5D husbando, he's going to release new heads and it's going to be better.
>>
>>6149057
>Sure his male doll are a bit derpy l, but so were the first DD.
Difference is, DDs had the excuse that they were the first and a product of their time.
Old BJDs looked wonky af too.

Your logic though is "he just started, that's why it looks like shit" which doesn't really work because there are lots of companies/artists who sell "a" (not their literally first sculpted, at least in some cases) first doll and it looks great and waaaay better than early dolls looked like back then.
Well sculpted, with lots of depth and character.
Going by your logic all people starting to sell should be on the same pancake level.

Choo churned out several boring flat faces and all he does is repainting them and giving them a new name again and again.
Even the licensed ones are lazy af.
But he has lots of proper references to work with, modern tools that give you options they didn't have back then, money and connections.
There is no good reason why his guys look the way they are but "he only wants to make waifus with big tiddies" and "he sucks".

I mean it's great that he finally did things Volks never did, for whatever reason, but it's obvious when he just does things because he knows it gets him money.
It's clear he never did a guy because he truly wanted to make one.
He did it because he knew that even if his version would suck people would still happily buy it, because it's not like they have much choice.
>>
File: 1431378368159.jpg (73KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1431378368159.jpg
73KB, 500x501px
>Trying to buy doll off Dollyteria for weeks
>Send them a email to ask if it's still available
>They ignore all me
>They list the doll on their Y!A page
>Doll doesn't sell..
>Email them again asking to buy it
>They relist it, it doesn't sell, I email them again
>But it gets marked as sold on their main site

I wanted to buy several other things from them that they didn't have listed on their Y!A page, and really had my heart set on it.
Hold me, /toy/.
>>
>>6149671
Wait, did you straight go for e-mailing them?
Why didn't you buy it directly through the website?
>>
>>6149836
On the page they ask you to email them first to make sure the item is in stock.
>>
I asked before and didn't get a response but who do you guys suggest on Instagram?

I was given suggestions months ago when I had no intention of making an Instagram but I joined it for other stuff and want some nice dolls on my feed
>>
File: 1448582745655.jpg (186KB, 930x616px) Image search: [Google]
1448582745655.jpg
186KB, 930x616px
>>6148925
>obligatory
>>
>>6149077
This anon speaks the truth. >>6149057, yes, nobody is great when they start something, but they should have the restraint to wait until they get better before they start selling.

...although a couple people have been mentioning that apparently he doesn't even sculpt them himself, just oversees it closely, so in that case what the fuck? Like why didn't he hire someone better to begin with, he's literally in Japan I'm sure there are GK makers and amateur 3D sculptors who would like the gig and could produce a Mirai who was sculpted at least as well as a high end figure's face.
>>
>>6148646
Anon probably knows they age differently. And no, the head will just be a mellower and less peachy color, not 'completely' different, assuming it was close to begin with. If sealed and kept out of sunlight it will barely be noticeable. I've been sticking resin heads onto vinyl bodies for ~6years and while it may change appearance down the road, the doll will look fine for a long time, which is exactly the case with resins. If it changes you will have the option of just brushing the head to match (or the neck, though that might be more finicky.)
>>
>>6149883
You maybe didn't get responses because that's sort of subjective. Just scroll through the thumbnail view of the #bjd tag for a few minutes and use it to find accounts that post doll pics which appeal to you. A lot of Japanese and Chinese accts have nice pics and still use that tag.
>>
>>6149841
Aaah okay, I only always bought straight through their (albeit shitty) shop system, no contact beforehand.

>>6149883
Agree with other anon, just look into the BJD tag, ignore the human faces and follow people with nice pictures.
It's honestly hard to list people because especially on Insta it really depends on your taste.
Like, there are people with lovely dolls and pictures, but the private stuff they post can be too much to handle.
I want to look at pretty dolls, not see your snapchats of you claiming how you want to kill yourself.
>>
>>6149883
Find 4-5 people you really like in the bjd tag. Let the explore function do the rest for you. That's kind of my advice for everything on Instagram. Chances are, you'll like who the people you're following follow.
>>
>>6149922

I would also like to point out that he made a post that stated he had a hard time sculpting the male body because he isn't attracted to it which is the most weeby Otaku shit I've ever heard. Apparently you have to be gay to sculpt a male doll and make it look good.
>>
http://www.thedollndoll.com/shop/step0.php?b_code=B20130807050413&c_code=C20160218104041

i found this website through a youtube video, is it legit? it looks too good to be true even if the DDs are marked up. i googled around but didn't find much.
>>
>>6150149
Choo is an unapologetic weeb. While I have to hide my powerlevel.
And he manages to make money from his shamefur hobby.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>6150738
He might be a weeb, but he's a determined one who managed to get out of his hole.

It's weird how on one hand he can be so determined, and on the other be so lazy.
Or he's just way too much into his own character, which explains why he's re-using the Mirai mold even for licensed characters.
>>
>>6150801
>he's a determined one who managed to get out of his hole.
I dunno. He definitely has work ethic, but I'm still unsure if he built himself up or he had some convenient financial help from his daddy, super famous shoemaker Jimmy Choo. I mean, you can afford to be pretty passionate when you don't have to worry about money, yknow?
>>
>>6149841
Don't bother, just go through the cart and check out. I've made dozens of purchases through them and never had a problem
>>
>>6150808
I once fell into that rabbit hole of personal life story he had written on his website (that one: http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/26094/How+Discovering+Japan+Changed+My+Life.html), and he had a really shit childhood and most of this time lived in foster care.
He did work for his father in his youth, but it's clear that most of his wealth does indeed come from working his ass off.
I also got the feeling that he doesn't have that much of a good relationship to his father, and it does not come across like his father would give him money.
He said himself he's not even sure if he will ever inherit something from him.
He mentioned that he nearly went bankrupt in 2009 too.

He is a very fascinating person, it's just funny how his obsession with idols and Japan managed to push him so hard while for others it's a sure way into otaku hell and living with your mom till you die.
But it's also obvious that this obsession sometimes keeps him from advancing further, like >>6150149 mentioned.
He's so deep into Animu waifus and Mirai that he has a hard time putting effort into something else.
>>
>>6150863
hi father might not have helped him but his father's NAME sure had to. whenever anyone he approached to work on his dollshit heard he was the son of super famous shoemaker you bet they just jumped right into it out of thirst. he even makes his own name have a similar ring. jimmy choo. danny choo. he could have easily gone by dan or daniel or something, but he goes by danny, just like his dad goes by jimmy.
>>
>>6150878
In Danny's defense, he's probably gone by "danny" his whole life. I don't doubt his father helped him get started and likely influenced some early investors to get on board, but I can't criticize him on that. He was born into a position that allowed him to turn his weeb obsession into a business, god bless him.

Now, I will continue to talk smack about Danny's complete lack of sculpting ability and his cringe-worthy PR that makes us all look like perverted smelly hentai-watching, japanese-vocab-abusing nimrods.
>>
>>6150878
He made a post about this too, how it annoys him how often people assume that because his dad his famous he probably got a shitton of cash from him to build up his company and had it easy.
He calls people who feed off their parents "vegetables" and refused to hire someone like that before.
He also mentions that he thinks that people who think money is all you need are the true problem, and that they fail not because of a lack of funds but determination.

Of course his name might help, but Choo is not that much of an uncommon name and I doubt (before he got that popular) he introduced himself with "I'm Danny Choo, son of Jimmy Choo....you know, that guy with the shoes, so gimme money".
And blaming him for using his very own name is a little silly too.
He also didn't use his name for his company, which going by your logic would have been the best he could do.

I agree with >>6150884, Danny worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get where he is now.
No matter how well known his father might be, without Danny busting his ass and being so determined he would still be some idol fanatic in the UK, living in his mom's small flat.
But he can still be incredibly cringy and his doll's faces look like shit.
I still wish I would be just a little as motivated like he is, because I envy people who have a dream and 100% will power to follow it.
>>
>>6150686
I dunno about the DDs but I know a couple of people who own DollnDoll brand dolls, and that is their site so... possibly?
>>
>>6150903

>He calls people who feed off their parents "vegetables" and refused to hire someone like that before.

That seems a little counterintuitive, how are you supposed to support yourself without a job? He should have hired them if he believes in people being self sufficient.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1485547373106.jpg (74KB, 576x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1485547373106.jpg
74KB, 576x960px
Welp, someone is trying to sell this dumpster fire in my local Facebook group. It's a Dollzone / April Story hybrid. What's it worth, $20?
>>
>>6151369
why is it so wet?
>>
>>6151359
The dude was a prime example of "I have no clue what I am doing, always hold open my hands towards my parents and just do what I want all day because they pay for it anyway, with no intention to ever pay it back to them in some way".
To quote the entry:
"He said that he was studying in Japan and was being funded by his parents - his huge collection of anime stuff was also being funded by his parents.

I asked him why he wanted to stay in Japan after his studies - he said so that he can attend anime events to buy stuff using money given to him by his parents."

People asked him in the comments if he's totally against taking money from parents, and he says accepting a helping hand is fine...if you don't abuse it and actually plan to give it back in some way.
>>
>>6151369

This looks like 90% of the videos from gore sites coming from Mexican prisons.

To me it seems ruined? Please explain this to me, anon, I just don't get it. Is this normal?
>>
>>6151395
That person tried to dye the doll tan.
It's obviously pretty uneven and badly done, and the doll is wet because it got a rinse after the dye job.

Honestly, why bother dyeing a doll if you sell it shortly afterwards (probably because the job turned out to be shit).
>>
>>6151401

Why dye? Airbrushing is so fucking easy.. I would legit dip this bitch in primer, whip the excess off, and do a 2 tone flesh paint job and bada bing.

That guy must be full retard.
>>
>>6151395
>This looks like 90% of the videos from gore sites coming from Mexican prisons.
That's...freakishly accurate.

I have so many ugly dolls that the doll-ignorant people you can only find on Facebook sales groups would appreciate, but I'm afraid that they'll end up here. The shame would be too much. Maybe I'll just take them to a con swap meet.
>>
>>6151369
How much are they selling it for? Not even gonna lie, I'm interested in buying . I love trying to save trashed dolls.
>>
>>6151405

Probably because airbrushing chips off? I'm not defending the shitty dye job but airbrushing requires you already have an airbrush and no matter how much sealant you use its going to rub off especially if you do the entire body.
>>
>>6151405
I agree with >>6151498, airbrush chips too quickly.
It's okay enough when you airbrush a head to match, but for a full body it's not suitable.
Even if you suede the sockets you just need one wrong posing attempt and boom, you scratched off the paintjob.
It's already difficult enough to keep fantasy parts somewhat nice looking, and you move them less than lets say a head on a neck, or a hand in its socket.

The best you can do is a well prepared and properly executed dye job + airbrush to cover unpleasant spots and make everything look smoother.
>>
>>6151492
I'm actually the same? Kinda curious coz when anon said 20 bucks I'm like here's my fucking money.
I'd love to fix a trashed doll for fun.
>>
>>6151498

Very good point. I'm from the scale model or gunpla thread, I didn't into thinking about what people do with this but I guess people do play with these dolls.

The idea of using dye has never once occurred to me.
>>
File: 8753067431_a1a12dfd56_o.jpg (184KB, 1000x605px) Image search: [Google]
8753067431_a1a12dfd56_o.jpg
184KB, 1000x605px
>>6151644
>I guess people do play with these dolls

Yeah, that's like the point of them and the bunch of joints they have.
We re-dress them, pose them for photos etc.

And unlike with other toys they often have parts that are pushed on top of each other too, so you not only have sockets and joints rubbing together but your chest could rub across the upper stomach part when trying to make your doll slouch.
Even a simple body blush (i.e. just adding a little color to the muscles for a little more realism) is a pest to keep nice.
>>
Huh, Snow Mike 2017 outfit for DD is weirdly underwhelming in comparison to the design and figma. I thought all the other Miku outfits they did are pretty nice but this one looks off somehow. Dunno if it's the colors, the draping, or what..,oh well, good for my wallet i suppose.
>>
>>6151599
This. I'm so glad people are finally catching on that due+airbrush on top is the way to go. Nice even color, and the brushing won't need to urgently be redone because the visibility of chipping will be mitigated up to a point.
>>
>>6152011
Honestly, it's not even a good match for the design. The colors are completely wrong, and why did they sub in that baby blue lacy material for the white? Even the hair isn't the right shade.
>>
>>6152011
Do not want!
>>
>>6152011
>>6152034
The hair is probably the default Snow Miku wig, to be fair, but everything else....wat

Biggest problem is the colors; too dark and too saturated. As other anon pointed out, the lining of the skirt should be almost white. They should be the same colors as seen on the figma. I guess another improvement would be making the skirt and sleeves out of a stiffer fabric/putting some structure in them, because right now they look kind of cheap and unflattering, but idk. Also as a nitpick the ribbon looks clunky and oversized (and would be nice for it to have a gradient). But really the biggest reason it looks so bad was the colors i mean what the hell Volks
>>
>>6151369
That glue inside the ass. I want to puke. It might clean up. I bet she didn't sand or clean it beforehand. If she had, it wouldn't still have glue jizzed in the joints. If the body is Classy, though, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for the whole disaster.
>>
>>6146981
This bulge.. I like it
>>
>>6152431
The hotglue looks indeed like it was there before the dye job.
I thought it would get all soft and peel off due the heat of the dye water, and it would make dyeing the resin underneath difficult?

It's obvious though that the dye job wasn't prepared properly.

The body is by the way indeed Classy, while the head is a DZ Raymond.
>>
>>6151492
They're asking for "offers". I said $20 because that's the maximum I'd pay for it, but you just know they want to sell it for a price comparable to a non-fucked doll.
>>
>>6152522
>>6152631
Classy body $250 new, Raymond head $95 new. Why do I get the feeling the seller will want $300 for their ruined hybrid?
>>
>>6152631
>>6153317
This can be fixed with a day or two of determined sanding. I mean, it's very devalued still, but the seller is probably going to get like 100 for it because there are a ton of people who like project dolls and don't mind fixing it.
>>
File: snowmikuddcolors.jpg (164KB, 450x678px) Image search: [Google]
snowmikuddcolors.jpg
164KB, 450x678px
>>6152371
Like this?
>>
>>6153446
You still will have nooks and crannies where you can't properly sand and there will be a loss of detail.
I once had to do this for a badly dyed doll and it was a pure nightmare.
In the end he had spots where sanding was impossible and especially his hands and other small parts suffered greatly from it.
Reason why I don't sand yellowed dolls too, not worth the trouble.
It also takes fucking forever.
>>
Okay, so I have a dilemma and I need your help. I really like the pipos mabel and I want her in gray skin and I don't really want to get her body because it has just the one singular torso piece, but the other part of this is, i dont really want to wait to get her color matched with another company if i can avoid it...so do any of you here know a gray resin that may match pipos at least mostly? Thanks.
>>
>>6153986
I;m guessing modifying the torso is our of the question for you?
>>
>>6154077
I am just not skilled enough to do it and I don't want to damage the doll.
>>
>>6154092
Would you consider someone doing it for you; some people in the hobby like doing it. Or does modification count as damaging the doll?
Mainly coz colour matching can sometimes be a bitch. Might be easier for the modification.
>>
>>6153616
massive improvement
>>
>>6153986
Gray skin, or anything that isn't WS and Volks normal, is very hard to match.
Even if you find one example for a nice match it's not likely that the next batch will look the same.
Same trouble with tan and anything colorful.

Color matching is the only real way to go, because a body modification means you need to send out the doll and trust someone with sawing through it.
>>
>>6154128
>>6154307
It's mostly a trust factor and not wanting someone to ruin my 400$ doll. I might just say fuck it and get her in normal or white. She's supposed to be an undead type character so white might be my best bet.
>>
>>6154400
But why is color matching an issue then?

Sending out her head cap to get back a body in her color isn't really that risky.
If you are really worried you could probably ask Pipos for a resin sample/buy a pair of gray parts (like hands) from them if you don't want to risk losing the headcap via post.
>>
>>6148536
i think if the third eye wasn't fucking pink, it'd look much less like a forehead-vagina.
>>
>>6148536
some are ignorant, like they literally don't know it looks bad, but others are lazy. like, to fix shit takes time, money, and effort. some prefer to just forcibly tell themselves that whatever is wrong, is actually NOT wrong and doesn't need to be fixed. by doing that they avoid having to go through the trouble of fixing it. this applies a lot to real life too i guess.
>>
File: 30792242953_3da163decc_o.jpg (222KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
30792242953_3da163decc_o.jpg
222KB, 800x1067px
>>6148536
I give that person a pass for now because from the doll profile it reads like it's their first doll (and to be honest, on the first photo of mine from years ago I had the wig on backwards).
The eyes were free ones too and they plan to change the clitoris one.

It still looks really unfortunate.
>>
>>6146056
This is like Kikipop all over again and I'm excited for the hobby to go this direction.

>you dicks think youre gonna recast me
>well fuck that i'll just start mass production
>>
File: tumblr_mgxgidcxYB1rlzb7co1_.jpg (71KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgxgidcxYB1rlzb7co1_.jpg
71KB, 425x640px
>>6154999
Already see it coming:

>years later, lots of companies offer cheaper vinyl versions next to their regular, but more expensive resin versions
>people bitch how resin owners are elitists, how owning vinyl is not being less of a BJD owner
>or people bitch because resin is superior, you are no true BJD owner if you go for the vinyl version, they long for the times only resin was the way to go
> certain resin versions will be very hard to get, enforcing the whole "resin is for elitists" thing even more

Call me bitter, but people love to rile each other up like that and I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if comments like that would be made.
>>
>>6155005
Honestly? I think we should stop using resin completely. Resin only really was the material of choice because it can be produced in small batches in a warehouse with very little specialized equipment and only a few people to manage it. Vinyl does require more of a full factory setting, the right machinery, etc, but its cheaper in the long run even if its high grade stuff. If we had more companies make the switch, and a few vinyl casters set up shop for the smaller companies, the hobby would be more cost efficient for everyone and could grow in many ways. I mean really, vinyl is more durable, lighter, the high grade stuff will have the same level of detail and depth of color while having a much warmer feel compared to resin. Staining would be more of an issue, but I bet with the dropped prices and higher production number it would be no big deal to get a replacement part (much like Obitsu or DD). The companies could make higher profits while still charging far lower prices. And given how much the hobby has grown, you can't tell me that Fairyland wouldn't be able to crank out a large order of Minifees and sell them almost immediately instead of the current made-as-you-order model.
>>
>>6155005
I say let them bitch kek

People will get over it. Even though I've heard people bitch about elitists, met volks elitists, and seen people fight over this shit... that's just it, the will bitch regardless. I think there will always be snobbery and victim complexes in this hobby. But I, and many others, will be able to happily live out our hobby lives without engaging in that noise and drama.

Hybriding used to be tantamount to sacrilege as well. And just like I enjoy all my hybrids, I will enjoy any lighter weight, better poseable vinyl doll.

>>6155014
Honestly, I've always thought that they only reason they haven't done vinyls yet was because they couldn't retain details as well as resin could, hence why all vinyl dolls were fairly featureless animu blobs.

Granado has just shattered everything I knew about vinyl lol
>>
I believe the only real disadvantage of vinyl is the staining.

I'd like to see a vinyl face-up with as much detail as resin dolls though. It doesn't have to be 'realistic'-tier, but should have more detail than the anime-like face-ups (Simple eyebrows and eyelashes, thick eyeliner, simple lips and mouths).
>>
>>6155014
I wanna see a bjd made with the smooth glossy japanese vinyl that feels like porcelain to the touch
>>
So I went to a doll show with a non-collector friend, and I thought it was interesting/hilarious that she could pick out people who collected certain types of dolls after an hour or so. Apparently bjd collectors, antique collectors, Barbie/fashion collectors and OOAK collectors are very distinct beasts and its obvious even when they overlap and someone has multiple kinds. She did say the BJD collectors stood out the most though that may be just because its largely younger.
>>
>>6155059
>Honestly, I've always thought that they only reason they haven't done vinyls yet was because they couldn't retain details as well as resin could, hence why all vinyl dolls were fairly featureless animu blobs.
Naw vinyl can hold amazing detail, its just been a demographic thing. Vinyl appeals more to the Figma/Figuarts collectors so its only been used for soft anime faces. For example on how well it holds detail, look at high end collector baby dolls, they're usually made of a high end vinyl with a cold-cast texture and have sharp clean detail.

>>6155091
Not sure if glossy would work for human bjds but the quality would be nice as fuck.
>>
I feel like it bears repeating: Let the era of half-price vinyl bjds begin. (Please.)
>>
>>6154400
Well if you get grey and go the route of hybriding, airbrushing the head isn't that bad.
>>
>>6146114
I feel like getting one also, how do they pose versus a figma or an obitsu of the same scale?
>>
>>6146114
>Are the Assauly Lily dolls good?
They're fun. They pose and stand reasonably well and there's a decent variety of girls available, so you'll certainly find a hairstyle you like. I got myself two to complement the other 1/12 girls, but I haven't actually done anything beyond posing with them yet.
>>
File: forward.jpg (201KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
forward.jpg
201KB, 600x424px
>>6155962
>>6155962
They pose okay compared to Shinkis. Decent range of motion for someting so small. They aren't quite as mobile or stable, but hardly anything is.
>>
>>6155962
The hardest thing and only complaint with mine is the lack of real wrist/ankle articulation, which it sounds like has been fixed with the new ones.

Also the clothes are expensive as shit.
>>
File: 1475762164324.jpg (208KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1475762164324.jpg
208KB, 600x450px
I'm a newfag to all this.
I've asked Luts twice now and they still haven't answered me. (over the course of two months).

Will the body blushing and faceup be sealed on my doll from them?
>>
File: younglings.jpg (29KB, 500x627px) Image search: [Google]
younglings.jpg
29KB, 500x627px
>>6156052
The recent batch have balljoint wirsts, which are the current standard in the scale, I understand.
>>
>>6156078
Yes.
>>
>>6156078
No, of course not.
They will paint straight onto your doll and will do nothing to seal it, because why should they?
Shit should rub off and stain while the doll is still on the way to you.

Honestly, what kind of question is that even.
Why shouldn't they seal their work?!

(also did you write them a mail or contact them via their Q&A? If it's the first, don't. Always use the Q&A board when contacting a company)
>>
>>6156093
Thank you anon, I appreciate it.
>>
>>6155014
>If we had more companies make the switch, and a few vinyl casters set up shop for the smaller companies, the hobby would be more cost efficient for everyone and could grow in many ways.

This will never happen because of the reasons you mentioned.
Resin can be used even by a single artist at home or a small casting service like Haru, and most BJDs are still sold in small numbers (compared to other doll types).
Most BJDs are not sold in a number that makes it profitable enough to go the vinyl route.
This is especially true since more and more companies started going the "more limiteds, less basics" route.

Not to mention that lots of people still prefer the weight, customizing and handling of resin.
I mean, why didn't Volks think about making a vinyl BJD long ago?
They have the knowledge from their DDs and already a place where they could be produced, yet they still keep their SDs resin only.

I personally had both vinyl and resin here, and while I can agree that vinyl has some advantages I still don't like it much.
The whole staining issue already pisses me off enough, since most of my dolls wear black all the time, and of course I had one of those DD III bodies where the skeleton broke inside (during a time where Volks was very low on stock for replacement parts and generally acted like a dick).
Some of that is definitely a Volks issue though.

I am still all for more BJD vinyl options, especially when they are as low priced as the Granado release now.

>>6155059
True, people will always bitch.
It was more a "mark my words, this will happen" post, because I bet my ass this would happen.
People are way too happy to play victim/to fight each other.
>>
>>6155059
>Honestly, I've always thought that they only reason they haven't done vinyls yet was because they couldn't retain details as well as resin could, hence why all vinyl dolls were fairly featureless animu blobs.

Obitsu does have heads that are more like classic BJDs.
They are still a little blob-esque, but they are also often pretty old...so they look mostly like old BJDs, but still very much like a BJD nonetheless.

I guess the whole "no vinyl BJD" thing was mostly one that is based on the whole Volks division (I mean, there aren't that many big vinyl bjd-like doll options next to DDs to begin with) and the mentioned issues of setting up a vinyl vs resin production.

>>6155083
There are some DD artists that do more detailed anime face-ups (i.e. with lots of lashes, actual hairs on the eyebrows etc.), it's just that their style is more uncommon.
You can paint a DD/vinyl head very detailed, people just prefer the more simple look.
Same like lots of Blythe people prefer the no eyebrow aesthetic.
>>
File: 32135857620_9c546b08c3_b.jpg (117KB, 926x1024px) Image search: [Google]
32135857620_9c546b08c3_b.jpg
117KB, 926x1024px
Tbh I'm kinda annoyed. I actually like culurs doll aside from the short noodle arms, and the face is right up my alley.
But god I will never support her. Sigh.
>>
>>6156805
I'm planning on buying it to send to a recaster, so you can buy the recast and support some random Chinese guy instead.
>>
>>6156818
I'm anti-recast. So that ain't happening either.
>>
>>6156805
It looks like a fun house mirror reflection come to life.
>>
>>6156805
What did she do ?
>>
>>6157265
http://raps-toybox.tumblr.com/post/127344918234

Well there's a small list.
Mainly she's dishonest, untrustworthy and I wouldn't spit on her if she were on fire let alone give her money for a doll.
>>
>>6157283
To add on that, she's regularly also an unreliable customizer towards her customers (ignoring their wishes, delivering bad quality) and she likes to play cute to weasel herself out of things.

Rap mentioned it, but every time she got caught doing shit she would play the "but I am just human and still so young :'(" card.
Which is total bullshit, if you can spend several hundred bucks on dolls AND have a shop you are way past the "just a kid" state.
She also lied to get back into DoA, even though the person who invites you can be banned for helping a banned person to get back in.

Regarding the customer thing, a while ago (we discussed that here too) she painted one of those SIO2 sheeps for someone.
She not only completely ignored her request, took forever and asked quite a lot of money, but when the doll arrived parts of it were already peeling off.
It was clear it was a rushed job.
Here's a video of the person who received that doll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ81TAFjuuQ

She also ignores any questions people ask on her Insta in regards of her using unsafe materials.
Like she uses a regular pencil to draw on dolls., and every time someone brings it up she just ignores the comment.
>>
File: enaibi.jpg (34KB, 371x640px) Image search: [Google]
enaibi.jpg
34KB, 371x640px
>>6156805
that body is such a blatant enaibi copy its embarrassing. (not saying recast, i mean she just tried to sculpt something as close to enaibi's style that she could get away with.)
>>
heres a pic of more dolls that enaibi made. culur's looks like a mix between arielle >>6157487 kyrielle and satyne. (satyne's upper body, with arielle's thick legs)
>>
File: enaibidollbodies.jpg (759KB, 1100x719px) Image search: [Google]
enaibidollbodies.jpg
759KB, 1100x719px
>>6157494
dropped pic
>>
>>6157496
Did she stop making dolls ?
>>
>>6157496
what impeccable taste the sculptor has
>>
>>6157506
Every once in a while she makes a Brimbelle, for, i assume, friends. But as far as I know she hasn't gone to the last few LDoll conventions, and she hasn't posted any pictures of anything new that she could possibly be working on. Looks like she's getting into making urethane eyes, she posted back in september of some eyes she made. But other than that, I don't think she's made a new doll since Arielle, and she made her back in 2013. And Arielle as far as I know, was never for sale.
>>
>>6157517
That's sad.
She should start dating a jew. He could make good shekel out of her sculpting talent, and we would be allowed to buy her stuff.
>>
>>6157526
The reason she stopped was because of recasters. She knew she could make bank but didn't want her work stolen.
>>
File: enaibiart.jpg (510KB, 735x1024px) Image search: [Google]
enaibiart.jpg
510KB, 735x1024px
>>6157576
Its not only that, she's an illustrator by trade and has been working on a comic book that has recently been published. I also believe she works on Wakfu in some way (either character design, or illustrations for the comic book version.) I think if she had the time she would still be making dolls for her own enjoyment, but honestly I think she is just way too busy with her day job.
>>
>>6157487
I would love something inspired by Enaibi because I know I'm never getting an Enaibi doll and I'm not a big fan of her facial sculpts.

But how much inspiration can one take before it's a blatant copy? I know people lost their shit when Dust of Dolls was copied by Leekeworld, would they be equally outraged if just one popular person mentioned this comparison? Or is it okay because it's a small artist copying a small artist?
>>
>>6157843
If it was anyone other than Culur, I'd chalk it up to innocent inspiration. But it's Culur, so she definitely copied it.
>>
>>6157843
I honestly think the whole "OMG X ARE COPYING Y" thing is going a little too far among the artist dolls.
Like, while I do think Culur's doll is nothing new it's not that much of an obvious copy like some other artist dolls were.
Rabid fans lose their shit waaay too quickly.
I still remember when Magic Mirror posted her Keira and people started saying how it totally looks like...uh, no clue what it was, a Nobledolls?
She posted tons of comparison pictures that very clearly showed that her doll looked nothing like the other one, but people still kept going on about it.
Makes me think if some of those people are completely blind.
>>
File: quoteinspiredbyquote.jpg (371KB, 1116x2018px) Image search: [Google]
quoteinspiredbyquote.jpg
371KB, 1116x2018px
>>6157948
This. There are a lot of big hipped, small tittied art dolls out there, but Culur's is very obviously "inspired" by Enaibi. To me it goes beyond inspiration. Compare Culur's face sculpt to its body, its pretty damn obvious she was working HEAVILY from references for that body because the face is a fucking potato in comparison. There is no way she made a body that decent looking without staring at pics of Enaibi's dolls every step of the way, because the lack of skill in the sculpting face is glaring. She hides it nicely with her faceups, and sure its not as bad as Kayke's, but its not up to par with the body she created.
>>
File: moreinspiration.jpg (204KB, 1448x926px) Image search: [Google]
moreinspiration.jpg
204KB, 1448x926px
Also her cat girl is just a slightly more human, more potato version of Cerisedoll's Eugenie. Culur's doll in general looks like a cross between Enaibi and Cerisedolls.
>>
I'm just amazed how so many people including the haters actually like Culur's derpy ass doll. LMFAO
>>
>>6158518
You know when you're so hungry that even cold McDonald's sounds good? Well the hunger here is the lack of aesthetically pleasing dolls that aren't the same old, same old and cold McDonald's is Culur's doll.
>>
I'm just sad that its another flat chested one. All I want is an exaggerated wasp waist hourglass girl, not huge-hips-tiny-torso pear.
>>
>>6158179
Also the feet are absolute crap, so you can tell they aren't copied from anything in particular (though I could make a case for rip off minifee moe feet, just fatter).
The only way she's good at ANYTHING is by copying other people. Faceups, styling, sculpting.
>>
>>6158905
Holy shit the fucking feet i'm dying. They look like she sculpted a vague foot shape and then threw parallel lines on there and called it a day. Didn't notice those before, thanks anon.
>>
>>6158518
>>6158729
Definitely. I want an Enaibi doll, but without spending 5k, I've got no chance.
>>
>>6157576
Then fuck recasters.
They ruin it for everyone.
>>
File: Untitled.png (632KB, 917x597px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
632KB, 917x597px
>>6158179
Also she straight up admitted to copying another artists' shrugging mechanism.
>>
>>6159013
>this isn't original - check out x who has been doing it forever!
>"oh waaow what a novel system you've come up with all by yourself, pure genius!"
illiterate cunts need to be shot in the face
>>
>>6159020
fucking this. the comment before it is puke worthy as well.

> i copied this!
> oh come on, don't be modest!!! you genius!!!
>>
>>6158179
Culur is talented as a sculptor.
Too bad she's too much of a crook for me risking buying her stuff.
>>
>>6159235
I would say decent, talented would mean the problems listed didn't get released in official releases.
But she just wants attention and money.
>>
>>6159020
>>6159195
Some people are such rabid fans, she could probably write that she killed a puppy for fur to make a wig and they would call her a genius too.
Crazy.

At least she was honest for once and mentioned her inspiration (even if Pasha is a cunt too).
>>
>>6159421
>even if Pasha is a cunt too).
Are there decent human beings in this hobby ?
>>
>>6159437
Yeah, they just don't tend to be that openly visible unlike the assholes.

In case of a Pasha she and Rafael (the one russian artist who acted like a dick in the Dollfie Dream forum) seem to have beef, but as a non-russian it's hard to follow. Both are bitching about the other and it seems like Rafael is the victim, considering her usual behaviour I highly doubt that though.
>>
>>6159449
Just checked again, it was like that:
>Pasha shows her doll with shoulder joint
>after a while, Rafael posts a doll with shoulder joint too (and same starved russian aesthetic)
>Pasha posts how she's crushed that Rafael copied her and openly outs her
>Rafael fights back and shows screenshots of Pasha bothering and trying to blackmail her

But there's so much russian blabla it's hard to follow and verify who did/said what.
There's a bjd-leaks diary.ru, it's not that much drama there...but even translated some of those comments come across as pretty hefty.
People whine about mean DoA posts why in some of those russian blogs people openly rip each other apart.
Wish I could understand them better.
>>
Can clothes easily stain resin dolls?
>>
>>6159652
Difficult to stain resin dolls, but possible.
>>
>>6159652
If you mean in the same way that a Dollfie Dream who is so much as in a 50 foot radius of black clothing will stain, then no, you're good.
>>
>>6159499
If that's the case when I doubt Pasha gave Culur permission to copy her shrug mechanism? Just because you link to who you copied from and admit you copied them doesn't make it okay to gank someone's idea, especially when its obvious that they are one of those "DON'T STEAL MY IDEAS" people (as evident by Pasha's beef with Rafael.)
>>
>>6159652
Adding to what the other anons said: resin is gladly pretty difficult to stain, only time one of mine was stained was while wearing a dark jeans fabric that wasn't rinsed before.
And even then all I had to do was take a piece of magic eraser and rubbing alcohol to remove it without a trace.
Most of my dolls wear black 24/7, got no issues with stains.

What is a little stain magnet is MSC/sealant.
Popular stain on resin dolls is the forehead area, where the wig cap meets the sealed face.
Dolls with body blush stain faster too.
However, the sealant sucks it all up, as soon as you remove the face-up/body blush the stains disappear too.

(on another sidenote: when I had a DD she had nasty stains on her head and one spot on the neck. Years later when I sold her the stains had vanished, even though she had been in a dark cabinet for years and I never had tried to remove them. Weird shit)

>>6159870
Rafael had posted a screenshot between Rafael/Pasha where Pasha said that she could live with it as long as she is credited for the shoulders (if I remember correctly).
But I doubt Pasha is happy about it and I am sure she demands to be asked BEFORE and not after the doll was sculpted to be simply tagged.
Not to mention that even then I'd still be angry when reading all those comments underneath Culur's post, but that's not her fault.

There was a post about this whole Pasha/Rafael thing where it was mentioned that Rafael had copied a Dollstown body too, but I personally can't see it and Dollstown said it was not a copy either:
http://bjdmagazine.tumblr.com/post/119725631635/about-a-recent-issue-being-discussed-here-and

Some of the russian comments already slammed her for copying Enchanted and co. though, so like we they also think she isn't as creative as she likes to pretend.
Not to mention that whole "YOU BEDAZZLED A DOLL? I BEDAZZLED A DOLL, WAIT FOR MY LAWYER" bullshit Rafael tried to pull.
>>
So, amerifags, as the time of tax returns falls upon us, do you have any doll plans for that sweet $$$?
>>
>>6160116
Bodies for all my floating heads, and paying off my layaways.
>>
Can we start a list of shady people to avoid in this hobby?

I'll nominate MonstroDesigns, for generally being a bitch, owning exclusively recasts and trying to open a kickstarter to get more money for recasts:
http://arisato.tumblr.com/post/92561325832/truebjdconfessions-anyone-else-notice
>>
>>6161295
This is why I miss DoD, the list was so thorough on there. Can someone Wayback it, or does that not work on private forums?
>>
>>6162750
Honestly it's probably for the best that we make a new one like >>6161295 is suggesting. There have been so, so many new people in this hobby and so many people who were on that list probably don't even own a single doll anymore. I'm all for making one.

I think the best format would be a GoogleDoc. You could have names, basic reasons for avoiding the people (simple stuff like scammer, rescaster, drama), and then a more detailed explanation. Probably include proof images at the end of every explanation.
>>
>>6162750
Wayback doesn't work, you can see the forum but can't get pass the login screen since everything on DoD was only available as member.

>>6161295
I am honestly not sure how I feel about such a list.
DoD were different times, and it was totally private.
Nowadays you can't just make a list like that anymore, because back then people pretty much agreed when someone was a cunt...nowadays you have a few people who rightfully think someone is a cunt and their million followers who think they did nothing wrong ever.
Even in such obvious cases like kleincrew, Culur and Monstro.

I think the confession blogs are partly to blame.
Since so many people get dragged through there, even though they really did do nothing wrong, people automatically assume this is the case for everyone.
And drama back then was usually hefty shit like Gutterface scamming and destroying dolls owned by others, nowadays small shit gets you posted there.

On the other hand, the hobby got fluffier than ever on top of all that fake rainbow "we love everyone, because we all collect bjds" bullshit that was always kinda there.

Question is, when should someone show up on that list?
Is owning recasts enough? Vaguely stealing ideas for their shop? Being a little dramacow (cause lets face it, our drama nowadays is pretty mellow compared to some of the shit you saw on /cgl/ and co. back in the days).
When does shit they did in the past can be ignored because they truly made a 180 and changed their ways?
>>
>>6163102
Another issue comes with the ability for anyone to contribute to the list. It would be so easy to fake drama if it's an open to contribution sorta thing.

Okay make it so you only post with tangible evidence. What about people like Culur who delete as much evidence of their wrongdoings as possible? No one will believe shit about her because her fans are rabid and there isn't proof.

>When does shit they did in the past can be ignored because they truly made a 180 and changed their ways?
Can you ever really trust someone after they've done shit, though? The second someone says SOMETHING, the person is tarnished.

The idea is a vicious cycle, as useful as it would be.

We wouldn't need a list if people in this hobby were just straightforward and honest. Not that fucking hard.
>>
>>6163102
>Is owning recasts enough?
Yes. I miss the way this hobby was before recasts were around. Nowdays no one is trustworthy and shitty looking dolls are even shittier.
>>
Instead of making a beware list, why not just make a schindler's list of trustworthy artists?
>>
>>6163206
>Can you ever really trust someone after they've done shit, though?
I was on the DoD list, added at least 12-13 years ago. I was under 18 at the time too. I'm pretty sure I've changed, but that's just me.
>>
>>6163283
I do too, anon, but if you make a "people to avoid" list you can't just put any cheap newb on it with a recast MNF.
That would be a total overkill and, much like the old DoD list, impossible to keep up to date.

>>6163206
I agree.
There are just too many issues that can't or just barely be avoided.
>Can you ever really trust someone after they've done shit, though?
It honestly depends.
I am pretty bad at this because I remember everything and if we are in a fight you can bet I pull up shit from six years ago.

However, I do agree that (especially with really young people) certain things should be excused when it's obvious that person changed.
This is of course not true for scammers or people who did REALLY hefty shit, but some young drama cows truly regret what they did as an adult.

I remember one person who was on the DoD list for forgetting to send strings with a sold doll.
Buyer made a problem transaction thread for it and the seller got a little snippy and all "jesus, here are your two bucks to buy new strings"...and that's why they were on that DoD list.
Ridiculous.

>>6163297
Difficult too.
Much like with companies (in and out of the hobby) it highly depends on your personal experience, how much you can stomach, where your line is.
For example, I have a friend who is incredibly chill.
Waiting six months for a face-up?
She just shrugs it off.
For others that's already an argument to put that artist on a "do not commission" list.
You had once a "bad" experience with that artist? Forever banned, even if every other person was happy and you maybe just need to relax a little more/artist hit a bump they couldn't avoid and never happened again.
>>
>>6163283
I would definitely want a list of recast owners so I can avoid them. They ruined our hobby.

>>6163304
>>6163489
I guess it depends on why you were on the list? Like if someone sent something late 10 years ago I doubt many people will find issue.
But if someone pulls proper shit, like not sending a doll or selling recasts as legit, well these people will never loose that smudge against their name.
IF there were a list, there would need to be reasons attached to names. Reasons an evidence.
>>
File: blank_lillycat_jolie.jpg (246KB, 655x983px) Image search: [Google]
blank_lillycat_jolie.jpg
246KB, 655x983px
>>6156805
>>6158905
I dunno. For me, those legs remind me of Lillycat's. Even the toes look like Lillycat's. Enaibi has more definition.

>>6158518
Her doll's kinda cute, I won't lie. It's the kind of doll I'd like. I understand the doll's not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine.

>>6159235
Same. I'd be eager to see how the doll is in customers' hands. At least it's not another Coffee disaster. It looks like she's at least taking time to prime and sand.

>>6160116
No, but it'll probably happen anyway. I need to get faceups for several heads I have, though.

>>6161295
There used to be a Problem Transactions sticky on DoA and scammer alerts, but the site search engine is a wreck and it's no longer pinned.
bad_dolly_deals is still up on livejournal, but I'm sure most of those people are long gone from the hobby or switched aliases.
>>
File: BQFnsiaDLgH.jpg (124KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BQFnsiaDLgH.jpg
124KB, 1080x1080px
Anyone know the sculpt of this doll?
>>
File: tagcringe.png (569KB, 965x562px) Image search: [Google]
tagcringe.png
569KB, 965x562px
>>6165042
It looks Volks-y. But then again, there are a few companies that I can't distinguish from Volks sometimes. Those eyes are really throwing me off.

They don't know how to tag their shit either. (the kanji tag is just for doll)

I kind of wanted to say Renee/MSDF-21, but the eyes aren't the same or the lips. They are also shooping the hell out of all their photos. Someone asked in one of the comments what the sculpt was, but no reply yet.
>>
>>6165316
The person who owns the doll posted and said that she is a volks FCS 45
>>
>>6166918
You can support lowkey organized Chinese crime if you want but then don't go around whining if all the dolls look the same because innovating just gets you recasted. Maybe it's just gonna be Volks and a whole lot of minifees in 10 years because single artist probably don't wanna deal with lovingly sculpting doll titties for weeks and months just to have some Chinese dick pour silicone over it and make a copy in a day,
>>
File: tumblr_m5pu2roWVo1qa6tuoo1_.jpg (172KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5pu2roWVo1qa6tuoo1_.jpg
172KB, 500x334px
>>6167020
I....I really would like to know what post you replied too.
Apparently anon was too chicken to keep it up.

Pretty much agree with you though.
Recasts suck, I really wish we could go back in time and I feel sorry for everyone who only knows this hobby post-recast blow up.
Hobby was better back then.
>>
If people don't buy recasts,
there wouldn't be recasts.
>>
>>6167020
>>6167033
>>6167042
I agree with all of you guys, and that's why I'd want recast owners on the BJD shit list if we make one. You're not REALLY in the hobby, just like someone with a fake Louis Vuitton purse isn't REALLY a Louis Vuitton customer (I'm sure there's a better example here, but that's the only comparison I can think of right now). You just wish you were.
>>
>>6167033
Just the usual ~who cares it's all resin~
I don't get why people with fakes want to be seen as equal so bad.
If they'd be at least honest that they don't give a shit about the companies and just want cheap shit, fine. It's like with those self-righteous pirates who would totally buy blurays and stuff but don't because of evil capitalism and shit.
>>
>>6167042

That's kind of stupid though. No matter how much whining and protesting you guys do you seem to forget that the west isn't the only market for bjds. Even if you somehow convinced everyone in North America and Europe to stop buying recast the Chinese and Latin American markets would be more than enough to keep recasters in business. People in those countries just don't have the same values when it comes to knock off merch. Tbh i surprised it took this long for recasts to be as prominent in the west as they've been for sale in Chinese shops since the four sisters volks days.

I don't personally support recasts and I always tell people real doll is better but I think it's naive to think recasts will ever go away.

>>6167020

I also think this attitude is harmful to our hobby. Instead of wasting our time trying to stop recasts (impossible task) we should be working to support and encourage people to buy the real thing and making our hobby welcoming to new people. How many people say they want to join the hobby but are scared off by bitch perfectionists and tbjdconfessions bullshit? Also all the pro artist people fear mongering about the 'abundance' of recasts on second hand market? Those people are hurting the market as much as recasters by soing distrust.

The bjd hobby is as a whole very unfriendly to newbies and we really do need a functioning wiki instead of all our resources spread all over the place. If my English was a little better I'd fix up the doa wiki as best as I could.
>>
>>6167136
>The bjd hobby is as a whole very unfriendly to newbies and we really do need a functioning wiki instead of all our resources spread all over the place.
Whenever a new popular style shows up, I swear /cgl/ makes a tumblr with resources and FAQs within 24 hours. We could set something up like that.
>>
>>6167136
Oh, I understand what you mean about the east and the west buying recasts. It is a well know fact in china and nearby countries that they don't care about copyright or bootlegging products.

I don't think recasts will go away.

I just wanted to point out the obvious, that people ARE buying recasts! And enough so that recast companies are popping up more than legit companies!

It is a very real problem for small artists.
The large established companies aren't impacted as much because their loyal consumer base will buy their originals. (Volks)
>>
>>6167136
>I also think this attitude is harmful to our hobby. Instead of wasting our time trying to stop recasts (impossible task) we should be working to support and encourage people to buy the real thing and making our hobby welcoming to new people. How many people say they want to join the hobby but are scared off by bitch perfectionists and tbjdconfessions bullshit? Also all the pro artist people fear mongering about the 'abundance' of recasts on second hand market? Those people are hurting the market as much as recasters by soing distrust.

1) Almost every newbie that comes into the bjd thread for first purchase advice is told to save up and buy what they really want. Which is good advice.

2) If someone is going to buy a recast, then they clearly don't care about >bitch perfectionists and tbjdconfessions bullshit.
These buyers like cheap shit. Cheap is more important than bjd perfection

3) >Also all the pro artist people fear mongering about the 'abundance' of recasts on second hand market? Those people are hurting the market as much as recasters by soing distrust.

This is an artificial problem created by the artists and their "limited edition" etc. Authentic, high demand dolls that cannot be bought leaves the consumer wanting alternative buying options. This segment of people is different from people in #2 who want to buy recasts and simply don't care about perfectionists.
>>
It would be cool if producing dollies would be easier in the future. Maybe more affordable vinyl production, so recast businesses can eat shit. Hopefully they will learn how to sculpt out of necessity and we will have more cute dollies.
>>
>>6167136
>How many people say they want to join the hobby but are scared off by bitch perfectionists and tbjdconfessions bullshit?

Problem is, this was always the case.
Even before confession blogs, ways to be an anon asshole and while DoA and co. was the same rainbow sunshine world it always was.
Most of the shit people bring up as a reason they never even saw/had to go through themselves.
"I am so afraid of those mean Volks collectors! I heard from a friend of a friend [...] that they totally burn down other dolls!!!1".
It's just an excuse.

You always have some spineless newbie bringing up their ridiculous fears and a million people telling them everything will be fine, they should just do their thing, buy the doll they truly want, don't act like a dick and so on.
Nearly ten years in this hobby and it's like some things never changed, this is one of them.
The hobby doesn't need to change, newbies need to get a little more independent and understand that this is a hobby like any other hobby.
We share a common interest, and that only at the very core, but that's it.
We don't need to like each other, people don't need to like your doll, you don't need to care what others think anyway.
If some image of a never seen/experienced boogeyman or the thought that someone might not like you scares you away...tough luck.
You either really want to participate in a hobby or you will find any excuse not to.

Regarding wiki/information: how can it be that people managed to order dolls 10+ years ago but people nowadays scream "there isn't enough information!!!1".
People are just too stupid and lazy and aren't used to actually sitting down and reading hours and hours just to be able to click on a buy button without fucking up.
Yes, recasts did make it more difficult, but there are enough ways to reach out to the BJD comm (even if it's just the #bjd tag on Tumblr) and it's generally pretty helpful.
>>
File: imaginary_friends_by_oki_oki.jpg (434KB, 500x747px) Image search: [Google]
imaginary_friends_by_oki_oki.jpg
434KB, 500x747px
>>6167421
Adding:

I know I might come across as pretty aggressive/mean, truth is that I am one of those people who spends a lot of time educating newbies.
I wrote guides/FAQs (in two languages), I always crawl through Newbieland, the #bjd tag and other websites to see if someone posted a question that has yet to be answered and so on.
I try really hard to educate people, to make sure they make an informed purchase and can avoid recasts.

However, after so many years it just got more and more clear that a) people really are lazier than ever and b) many will try every excuse to justify their purchase.
People will ALWAYS find a reason why they are too scared to do X or rather go for cheap doll bla/a recast.
Back then it was "oh, I buy this Bobobie because I am afraid to destroy my doll/afraid not to like the hobby/afraid to spend too much money", now they swapped the Bobobie for a recast.

The laziness gets me the most though.
There ARE enough resources (I wish I had that many back then!), but you sure won't find them if you just join some Facebook group or google "bjd shop" and buy the first thing you can see.
It needs time to sit down, crawl through websites, soak up every information you can find and then to ask questions.
As said, it's not impossible to reach out to the community even if you aren't on DoA and you usually receive a proper answer in no time.
You still need to put in some work though.

Honestly, compared to many other hobbies the BJD one IS pretty welcoming.
You are not left alone with your questions, there is enough information to be found out there and there is pretty much a group for everyone (even the talentless people with ugly af dolls, just look at pintsizedpalace).
There still will be people who will never agree with you, some gossiping and other drama.
You have that with every hobby.
>>
>>6167421

>Problem is, this was always the case.
Even before confession blogs, ways to be an anon asshole and while DoA and co. was the same rainbow sunshine world it always was.
Most of the shit people bring up as a reason they never even saw/had to go through themselves.
"I am so afraid of those mean Volks collectors! I heard from a friend of a friend [...] that they totally burn down other dolls!!!1".
It's just an excuse.

Yes people were like this but back then people who were turned off by bjd hobbiest shit attitude just didn't join the hobby. Now they see the shitty sidecar the hobby and become suckered In by the welcoming lies of the recast community. They see the recast owners as poor outcasts would seem so much more welcoming than the bitches on tumblr.

>Regarding wiki/information: how can it be that people managed to order dolls 10+ years ago but people nowadays scream "there isn't enough information!!!1".
People are just too stupid and lazy and aren't used to actually sitting down and reading hours and hours just to be able to click on a buy button without fucking up.

I've been in the hobby since the early days and just because we figured it out doesn't mean it wasn't shitty. Now times you can find out about bjd by accident on Instagram or tumblr but back then you had to basically be a week to know of them. Most people I knew where into j rock or Lolita and those niche hobbyies led them to dolls. People like them were used to doing research but today's new hobbiest may just see a pretty photo and not realise how much there is to this hobby. It also doesn't help that bjdshop is the first Google search result when you look up bjd in many instances.
>>
Does it drive anyone else completely insane when people buy dolls/doll parts and then when they want to resell them they post things like "I have no idea what sculpt/company this is from" WHY DON'T YOU KNOW??
>>
>>6167463
It's all correct what you bring up, but it still stands that the issue is the attitude of such newbies, not the hobby.
If people can't be assed to do research you can provide as much easy to find information you want, they will still not read it.
Of course it sucks that bjd shop and ebay are nowadays the easiest way to get a doll, but if you go from "I saw a photo of a doll, got to know the term, typed it into ebay and clicked buy" in the matter of a day I honestly have a hard time feeling bad for someone.
Who in their right mind just shells out 100+$ on something they basically know nothing about.

And if you rather buy a bootleg because the community attached to it might seem nicer at first*, even if you know about all the downsides to recasts, then you honestly don't really care about the hobby anyway.
You let others dictate what you buy and are just glad to have yet another excuse to go for the cheap fake.
Not to mention that you become an even bigger outcast then you ever would have been with a fugly legit doll, down to being unable to commission most face-up artists, using the major forums/groups etc.; I am pretty sure using the "but recast people seemed nicer to me" thing is just another excuse, because it doesn't make that much sense in the long run.
Especially because if you just look long enough you will see that lots of recast owners on Tumblr are total morons too.
>>
When I first started buying recasts I made 50% profit on resale because others were too afraid to buy from China.
Now they don't keep value so I buy legit.
>>
>>6167463
>Now they see the shitty sidecar the hobby and become suckered In by the welcoming lies of the recast community. They see the recast owners as poor outcasts would seem so much more welcoming than the bitches on tumblr.

I think I am kinda one of those people. Was afraid of the commitment and also didn't really get why people are so passionate about this (and saving money isn't too bad either), and their basic reasoning seemed legit to me. Bought a recast at first and in the end changed my ways, but jeez did people turn against me quick. The ones with mixed groups were chill, but the ones with mostly or only recasts acted like I betrayed them. Even though I didn't say anything about them owning recasts, I just don't want any for myself anymore. But they were also the type who acted like they were victims, because they decided to buy a fake and can't accept that people with legit dolls don't see them as part of the comm. Sorry for the blog post, just wanted to say I totally get the appeal but at least from my experience the recast crowd wasn't as easy going as I had hoped they would be; but the legit one isn't the antichrist I was told it would be either.
>>
>>6168196
I've noticed this too and at the same time in my twelve years in the hobby I've never found a BJD group worth participating in.

Even this place is a shit hole
>>
>>6168241
What are you looking for in a group, offline and line?
Or how would you like to participate?

What worked best for me was to find people who like the same dolls I liked and then checked how well they match in other areas (general character/behavior, other hobbies etc.).
Having nice looking dolls, being skilled at something and being generally open and friendly does help a lot too.
You need to be pretty open and willing to offer something to get interest in return.

I was lucky though because I have a nice local group, and while I am not a fan of most of the dolls (no Resinsoul trainwrecks, they are just mostly...boring) I still like the people very much.
I would kill for some skilled artists/non lazy people in our group, extra points for interest in photography, but eh.
I know lots of people are not that lucky, but I have a hard time believing the internet has nothing to offer at all.

Do agree though, this place here is a shit hole.
I personally just come here for drama and because we have discussions about things that can't be, or only with faking it, spoken about elsewhere and it's nice to just be an anon for once.
I don't like any of the regulars posting their dolls (for nice dolls I have Flickr and co.) and due the whole anon thing you don't have a real connection anyway.
>>
>>6168241
It's a shithole but at least you're free to complain and insult the other anons.

It's not like DOA where you have to be extra careful to not offen anyone.

In the end I only comment on project journal showcasing top tier craft.

Lately I've been browsing pinterest in search of pretty ^pic of BJD, and a lot of the nice ones were Russians. And it's not only BJD, everytime I see nice crochetwork it's Russian too.
Why are Russians so crafty ?

Is it because it's too cold there so they stay comfily at home crafting exquisite things ?
>>
>>6168453
The men are all dead from war.

All that is left are women in siberia, in a cottage, sewing everything for themselves so they get real good at it.
>>
>>6168453
I had this discussion with some of my locals before (since "Damn Russians" is something we utter often, because fuck are they good at what they do).

First part is probably that you only see the best ones because you aren't a local/don't speak their language/don't browse their communities.
You only see the ones that are good enough to gain popularity, while the mediocre/normal ones are just invisible for you.
This is true for lots of communities/hobbies*.
You like to think country X is full of skilled people, truth is you just don't see the definitely existing losers and/or normal people.

However, I do think that some countries due to a different relationship towards crafting, art, DIY and/or offered choices are a better soil for this kind of hobby than others.
Offered choices are things like how easy is it to buy abroad, to get certain crafting materials, to earn money.
Add mentality, like how much do they value art or originality.
On top of that you have aesthetic, if you grew up in a country that is drawn towards a certain style/has popular themes it's likely that you are influenced by this.

In case of Russia I'd say it's true that crafting is important.
You are out in the cold, communist past, lots of people are poor. Importing and/or travelling can be difficult sometimes
On the other hand, if you have money you aim for the best of the best.
Their art has a somewhat rough, realistic, sometimes downright depressing vibe and that's the same style they aim with for their dolls.
On top of that you have this super rich, everything is gold and just a tad too much, aesthetic.

I really think it's a mixture of honoring DIY, a long past of being crafty, being proud of their own work and being influenced by the art of their country.
If you dig scruffy realism the Russians got that for you.

*(I remember stories on how brutal russian cosplayers can be, dirty perfectionists that will tear down people for the smallest mistakes openly on some convention.)
>>
>>6168477
Adding:

To compare, I am from a more or less wealthy country.
Things are easy to order abroad, there is no need to be crafty, people are more or less comfy.
People thus tend to buy rather than make something themselves, and if they do it it's usually because they are cheap/too poor, which usually means shit materials and no experience.

I know there is a fair share of "bad" Russian owners too.
If you browse around bjd-club.ru for a while you see they have newbs too, and "I am rich and only buy full-set" or "who cares about creativity, if I want someone to copy X for me I will demand that" people.
I remember some drama about how a dealer would accept people to buy dolls through him, incl. instructions on how they want the same face-up as doll from X (I think it was Iplehouse and Lolooz).
>>
>>6168453
>>6168477
kek, it's because all the shit gets filtered out, it's the same with Japanese
>>
>>6167042
I think one of the main factors for recasts blowing up in popularity are those that catch casualfag attention, such as Elfgutz, Andreja, Culur, etc. and their casualfag audience wanting a doll like theirs. If they don't know what they want/don't know better, of course they're going to go with the cheapest option. It's bad that when you search for a popular sculpt in google or whatever, you get recast sites in the results before the legit company's.

>>6167136
>>6167297
>>6167306
>>6167421
Well said, anons.
>>
File: tumblr_ofo18u2h9P1v2ifqpo1_500.jpg (40KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ofo18u2h9P1v2ifqpo1_500.jpg
40KB, 480x600px
>>6167136
Your English is actually better than those that use it as their mother tongue. Dive on in and fix up the Wiki. I did edit a few pages a few months ago because they were so grossly outdated. You just have to know the code to edit the wiki. If not, you could probably transfer the edits to someone who does.
I googled how to update wiki code and it wasn't that difficult. Just always preview preview preview before actually submitting the update.

>>6168155
Sometimes, yeah. If I know what it's from, I'll message them so they can update their listing and maybe get more bites.

>>6168168
>If people can't be assed to do research you can provide as much easy to find information you want, they will still not read it.
There are so many people wanting to be spoonfed, and a lot of people are trying to make guides to prevent that, but it's not working. Thankfully we haven't had someone asking for spoonfeeding lately.

>>6168241
>>6168308
Sort of the same, but I just hardly have enough time to invest myself in bjd groups. I seem to come here the most because we can pretty much stay honest with each other here. Everywhere else is thinner skin territory.
>>
>>6141112
Those eyes don't even fit, look at the gaps. People spend money on their dolls and I get it that they might not be able to get top quality eyes (or wigs, clothes etc) and do not have a great camera so no, I don't judge them for those always (unless they just have a bunch of messy dolls)...

BUT they can at least make sure the eyes look straight, the limbs are composed, the wig is neat and the clothing is not mussed. Ditto for practicing the shot, putting the doll in the frame nicely, lighting things ok and with the doll actually in focus. These things are absolutely free and make such a huge difference to make the doll look nice!
>>
>>6167306
I say yes and no for #1. For me and some people, waiting and getting the doll we really want is meaningful, I'm very glad I did. If someone is just burning to get started though and can't afford something they really like but would be very unhappy waiting, I think a cheaper doll that is 'for now' might suit them better even if it delays them a bit in getting one they really like better.

I have a friend who was just desperate to get started and to get some dolls. He grabbed for the first few dolls he liked on eBay with NO research and of course they were recasts. (I did not know him then, this is from his story that he shared with me). He really regretted it once he learned what had happened, especially since he payed quite an inflated price. He didn't buy any more recasts ever and did not want to deal with recast owners to sell the dolls off so he just uses them as experimental dolls to test painting and mods. Luckily we caught what happened before he started posting doll photos on DoA!
>>
File: $_1.jpg (16KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
16KB, 300x400px
>people buying shat up 2ndhand recasts on eBay
>That's not the lighting, it has tan lines yellowing

Could have just bought an authentic old skin 4 sisters for under $200 in better condition.
>>
File: s-l1600 (3).jpg (36KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (3).jpg
36KB, 640x640px
Beautiful. 10/10 Would leave on a shelf in the sun.
>>
>>6170004
I know from experience that putting in eyes into the old DZ is a royal pain.
On top of that DZ tells people to use a way too big size; there is no chance a newbie gets one of their dolls, buys the size listed on the website and manages to put it in properly.

Do agree with the rest though.
However, it always makes me ask myself if those people just lack a total feeling for "this is good, this isn't".
Like, back then I looked at nice dolls from others and realized why they look nice and what I need to do to get mine onto the same level.
I bet all those people enjoy nice looking dolls, how can they look at theirs with the wonky eyes, chewed out wig, ill-fitting clothes and weird angled limbs and think "yeah, this is perfect".
The limbs and eyes alone should be painfully obvious.

>>6170015
I think it really depends on the type of person and the doll they get, but at least from experience the ones who bought a doll just because they desperately wanted to get started either a) were unhappy in the end b) sold the doll or c) destroyed the doll, because they were as impatient customizing it as they were buying it.
Only few of them, and only the ones who bought a doll they still liked enough, kept it and/or put in some care to make it shine as much as the doll they actually had wanted to own.

That doesn't mean that everyone who truly bought what they wanted kept their first doll or didn't fuck it up (I personally bought the doll I really wanted and still didn't keep it in the end).
It's just more likely that your start is smoother when you actually but what you want, and not some substitute.
It also puts you back a lot more from your goal of owning doll X if you spend several hundred bucks on one you just get as a replacement.
If you are the "I customize the shit out of every doll and don't care much anyway, at least I can start" type this does of course not apply.
Same when your preferred choice is so hard to get it better belongs on a grail list.
>>
>>6170034
Wonky eyes, check.
Messy, badly placed wig, check.
Clothing in disarray, check.
Bad posing with visible stand, check.
Off-center position for No Good Reason, check.
Bad lighting, check.
Blurry focus, check.
It wouldn't matter if this were the best and rarest doll with these issues.
>>
>>6170025
I want an oldskin 4 sisters for $200, dammit! Meguuuuu!
>>
>>6141976
The legs bother me, human thigh muscles and human jointing on back legs but then hooves. And yes, the short body too. More fantasy and deer-like human hybrid overall than any horse parts. I still like the overall daintiness though, no doubt as to the company immediately!
>>
>>6170053
I'm pretty sure you can be lucky and find one on Mandarake from time to time.
Will need some love, since they are usually old and dirty, but for the money it's fine.
>>
>>6170039
I think it takes practice, trial and error to really get the hang of eyes. There's an excellent tutorial on DOA about it that really goes into detail. I think expecting a beginner to just get them pointing the right way is not too great of an expectation though even when it's hard and takes effort. It's always difficult for me to find a way to say it nicely or tell them the small tips that would make their doll look so much better in photos because of the overall sensitivity to constructive critique these days. But then people cry because their messy doll photos don't get the likes and comments they want.

I wish to hell someone had given me more useful critique and I could have learned some things earlier because for what seemed like a very long time, I was so disappointed in the way my dolls did not look how I wanted them to.
>>
>>6170062
I will look, thank you. I can clean, sand, soak, repaint and restring, put kips etc if they don't have chips or like a nose dent or such. I have one Volks SD so I'm used to her. The older ones have the pretty and mellowed color that I like!
I have looked a little on yJapan but the pictures I saw aren't usually very good for the details so I hesitated to keep looking.
>>
>>6139015
Because otherwise they can easily look like frog lipped mutants? Puffy lips are on trend? Trying to compensate for the huge eyes or cover a bit more real estate on the pumpkin head?
>>
>>6148998

why is your whole collection so fucking pretty and well kept omg i love you
>>
>>6170053
I snoozed and lost on this one. Should have taken the plunge, she had her wig and original fashion.
https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1058747208&ref=list
>>
>>6170129
Because they are all bought as full-sets from Volks.
Not hard to have a well looking group if you put zero work into them, buy them finished and don't pull them through a dumpster afterwards.
Same for everyone who owns a group of full-set Sooms.

>>6170071
The pictures are on Mandarake a hit or miss too. Especially on the junk/need care dolls you need to gamble a little and hope the description is true (and somewhat properly translated) and that the doll doesn't have something the Manda guys can't see.
I once bought a Volks Ken and in the end it turned out that the former owner had used epoxy on his eyes to close them down a little (which I couldn't see on the photos, because the shape was still correct...just smaller).
Of course the Manda guys had no clue, since it had been covered with airbrush.
>>
>>6170053
Ther'es a custom faceup 4 sister head on fb for $90

Closetchild has a $90 SD10 girl body.

it's easily doable
>>
>>6170129

Pretty much this
>>6170157

I'm not very imaginative. If I really like the 'default' setup then I just go for that.

If I were to mix and match stuff, it might end up like those horrible ass-clown dolls posted here as nightmare fuel.
>>
>>6170219
Meh, you don't have to DIY everything. A few changes here and there aren't going to make them automatically awful.

I have shaky hands (probably stress and whatnot) that makes it difficult for me to paint, so I usually have to wait to commission my faceups. I'm sorta picky, but sorta not (only in the sense that I want quality work in a specific style). If the company faceup is what I like, that's what they will have. Volks has been stepping up their game gradually in the faceup department.
>>
>>6170219
I lol'd but the honesty is there.

I gotta say you do have nice taste in DDs though, Kirika, and Alna are some of my favs
>>
>>6170015
>especially since he payed quite an inflated price.
This is what I don't get. Recasts aren't even that much cheaper than legit dolls. Maybe you can save $100 tops, but the tradeoff is a huge drop in quality. I wouldn't even trust the Chinese plastic not to poison me through skin contact. We've had news in the past of lead paint being put on toys made in China, and that's with legitimate products made for big US toy companies. Who trusts anything about illegal, illegitimate products that get made over there?

Off topic, but I have minor breakdowns whenever I see beauty bloggers put knock off lipsticks from Taobao on their lips. You will literally be eating a small amount of that lipstick, and who knows what's in it?
>>
>>6170219
>>6170241
>>6170292
Yeah, wasn't supposed to come across as hating or anything, just an honest answer to anon's question.
If you buy finished, dolls will look good unless you are prone to fucking up things.

I also don't think people NEED to customize, sometimes it would be better for people to either just buy finished or leave it to people who actually know what they are doing.
Sometimes you just have to accept when you suck at something or train on a different doll before your nice ones have to suffer.

I do think default ones are boring though and have no interest in praising them, because the fuck should you say?
Well done pressing that button?
I already saw the best possible version of that doll on the company pictures.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>6170458
>>6170458
>>
>>6163304
MortatHero?
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.