[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mark Hamill's Pop Culture Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 348838.jpg (66KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
348838.jpg
66KB, 600x597px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r41G8zEv1e8

What does /toy/ think of based Mark's Pop Culture Quest?
>>
>>6126885
More of a thing for /tv/ no?
>>
>>6126886
Not when he's talking to toy collectors.
>>
>>6126885
what the fuck? i never knew muricans refer to mazinger as "shogun warriors".
>>
>>6127079
Shogun Warriors is the name of a toyline in which a lot of Nagai stuff got released.
>>
File: dragun_shogun_box_big.jpg (82KB, 350x323px) Image search: [Google]
dragun_shogun_box_big.jpg
82KB, 350x323px
>>6127079
In the 70s, Mattel released a toyline called "Shogun Warriors" and it was basically a weird mashup of many different super robot series. You had Mazinger rubbing shoulders with Raideen and even Godzilla. Eventually Marvel even produced a Shogun Warriors comic book, though they ended up only using Combattler V, Raideen, and Danguard Ace in the book.

In retrospect, mushing all these iconic Japanese shows together and calling them "Shogun Warriors" sounds at least vaguely racist, but I guess the 70s were a different time.
>>
>>6127084

> Shogun 将軍
> Literally means General
> General Warriors
>>
>>6127080
is it one of those "voltron/Go-Lion" or "Power rangers/super sentai" things they did?

>>6127084
>mushing iconic japanese mecha shows together and calling them "Shogun Warriors" sounds racist

exactly what i had in mind, hence my reaction
>>
>>6127088
You gotta think about the times. It was the 70s. Japanese culture wasn't widely known in the US, so many marketers tended to gravitate toward these cartoonish caricatures of the culture based on what they thought the public would know about or recognize--it's why you see so many things back then using terms like "ninja" or "samurai" or..."shogun." It was really less about the meaning of the word and more about making sure the public knew that these robots came from the "mysterious orient."
>>
>>6126885
The thing with celebrity "nerds" is sometimes you wonder if they really are, you know? But that scene where he refused to play with that Godzilla's gimmick solidified him as a true collector and made me love the episode.
>>
File: Dragun.jpg (536KB, 1564x2166px) Image search: [Google]
Dragun.jpg
536KB, 1564x2166px
>>6127089
It was mostly just an umbrella term for the toyline.
>>
File: Shogun Warriors 06 00.jpg (312KB, 787x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Shogun Warriors 06 00.jpg
312KB, 787x1201px
>>6127084
>sounds at least vaguely racist
It's better than what they did to "Ue o Muite Arukou"
https://youtu.be/C35DrtPlUbc
>>
>>6126886
Have you seen the autists over there? No way we could have any intelligent dialogue about this.
>>
>>6127084
>retrospect, mushing all these iconic Japanese shows together and calling them "Shogun Warriors" sounds at least vaguely racist, but I guess the 70s were a different time
>Vaguely racist

What? Most Japanese mecha are in some way inspired by the feudal period, it's a pretty appropriate blanket brand for re-released Gokins.
>>
>>6126885
It was neat, I like informative videos related to toys. This one is on Japan's take on miniaturization (involving figures):
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCgJMfn2OBQ
>>
I literally just got done watching it before seeing this thread. I like it but I think he should ditch the puppet and spend more time with people's collections
>>
>>6127772
Fun watch anon. Thanks for the link.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.