[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what does /toy/ think of McFarlane Toys?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 16

File: mcfarlane.jpg (64KB, 1073x737px) Image search: [Google]
mcfarlane.jpg
64KB, 1073x737px
So what does /toy/ think of McFarlane Toys?
>>
>>6122221
For better or worse they did a lot to change the perception of toys as collectibles.
>>
bad.
>>
They made really good Walking Dead figures, and had JUST started to get articulation right, when they decided "Hey, people liked our statues in the 90s, let's only fucking do that now!"

I haven't bought a McFarlane item in a like a year now, and that's just fine with me.
>>
Does anyone have experience with the metal gear line they did? I found a decent lot of them online but don't know if they're worth getting,
>>
>>6122239
>make walking dead figures but in a monkey paw scenario, scale of 5 inches
>finally make them 7 inches but monkey pawed again and they're statues

I don't know what these fucks are doing.
>>
>>6122257
For MGS 1, they're worth it. For MGS 2 they're crap.
>>
>>6122221
They were the shit in the 90's, I had so many Spawn figures. But they never evolved or kept up with other manufacturers. Plus they never got any good licensing after like 2000.
>>
File: mcbike.jpg (44KB, 354x567px) Image search: [Google]
mcbike.jpg
44KB, 354x567px
Only McFarlane toy worth owning
>>
They pushed ahead of where toys were at in the early 90's but never really got past that point, whereas everyone else moved further since then.

They seem to have a philosophy where articulation ruins sculpts, and sculpts are the most important part of action figures so it's just fine to release figures with no leg articulation. For years, their sculpts were miles ahead of everyone else to sort of justify that philosophy, but NECA does better sculpts now and they don't skimp on articulation.

Not sure why they're still around. Don't understand why anyone would buy their stuff unless they're huge Walking Dead fans. Someone explain to me how the McFarlane Gears of War and Assassin's Creed figures are better than the NECA ones.
>>
>>6122257
They're fine as long as you're OK with fixed arm joints or figures that don't have leg articulation.
>>
>>6122308
Are the figures of that line any good?
>>
File: 3max[1].jpg (99KB, 498x746px) Image search: [Google]
3max[1].jpg
99KB, 498x746px
Saw this guy at EB Games yesterday. I thought it was a new articulated Spawn. Nope, a statue. I don't know why I expected Legends like Spawn.
>>
>>6122316
yeah if you like statues.
>>
Used to be on the cutting edge of quality, detail, and innovation, at one point producing some spectacular stuff.

Then they started fucking up as hard as they could, downsizing figures, compromising quality, until they were a pathetic, hollow mockery of their former glory.
>>
>>6122321

Hey they had articulation!

Kind of.

Sorta.

Vash the Stampede was good from that line. Though they gave his false gun arm a glued on tube that breaks when you use the elbow joint....
>>
>>6122330
I loved the Kaneda figure released alongside a motorcycle that he couldn't ride.
>>
>>6122221
They were amazing.

Emphasis on "were," obviously.

If you were alive/collecting/old enough to be collecting something like Spawn back in the first wave, god damn it was just such a paradigm shift. Even the Spawn Mobile, as fucking idiotic of a concept that it was, made it fun to be a collector.

I think that the only people that would flat out say that they were garbage are the people that first started collecting post-Movie Maniacs. Or if you jumped into the line right around the first Manga wave, when basically everything was held together by the shittiest industrial glue known to man and incredibly brittle plastic.
>>
File: 1483984954166.jpg (36KB, 698x723px) Image search: [Google]
1483984954166.jpg
36KB, 698x723px
>>6122221
They used to be great.
Well articulated, well sculpted, great selection.
Now they just make really shitty statues of people and god awful bootleg lego sets.
If they released an articulated Spawn or Violator I would buy them for nostalgia's sake.
Until then fuck em.
>>
I think they're great, if disappointing at times.

90s and early 00s lines were all great.
They really shined when they started doing the Halo toys. Amazing articulation, paint, and sculpt. Understandably, it took a hit in its last waves as Halo wasn't as popular anymore.

Their lego sets are phenomenal. Their bricks are higher quality than LEGO's and their sets are beautiful to look at. The minifigures are also outstanding.
It's a damn shame that their Walking Dead and Game of Thrones lines weren't popular, because they're sublime
>>
His new line completely blows my mind. I seriously cannot believe they are releasing partially articulated figures again. The new titanfall guy and spawn would both be inceidble figures flying off the shelf if they only had joints. Absolute brainless move on McFarlane
>>
>>6122550

why is this even blocks though it almost looks as good as a regular vehicle playset and it doensn't really look like you can build much with the parts
>>
File: image.png (194KB, 1528x828px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
194KB, 1528x828px
Every time I see their "action" figures, I am reminded of the Foghorn Leghorn part from this.

>They're built fer ACTION! Figures! You'd FIGURE they'd want a bit of ACTION!

There is nothing wrong with statues, but they most certainly are not action figures.
>>
File: series24_spawni043_photo_02_dp.jpg (86KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
series24_spawni043_photo_02_dp.jpg
86KB, 600x900px
McFarlane got worse?

I bought their Spawn stuff way back when. They just did Spawn and some sports statues. The only statue I have left is one Spawn from the comic book cover series. It was great quality for the price, still looks fantastic today. Pic related.
>>
File: ViperKing_02-spawn-14.jpg (129KB, 1024x820px) Image search: [Google]
ViperKing_02-spawn-14.jpg
129KB, 1024x820px
>>6122221
They were really good for awhile, but are mostly hit or miss. More statues than toys imo. They did have some great ones though. My dad got me a few, including this one. My dad had good tastes.
>>
>>6122868
I agree 110% with the Jack Cooper figure, I was hoping for articulated TitanFall figures like they did with Halo in past

DESU I liked McFarlane when he did Halo in the earlier days upto the point he did Reach stuff then he fucked it with Halo4 and their bad articulation
>>
File: Titanfall BT Thumbs Up.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Titanfall BT Thumbs Up.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>6122221
I'm just hoping their BT action figure turns out well, though, it's months away. PLEASE.
>>
File: walking dead rv.jpg (82KB, 800x393px) Image search: [Google]
walking dead rv.jpg
82KB, 800x393px
>>6122871
>why is this even blocks though it almost looks as good as a regular vehicle playset and it doensn't really look like you can build much with the parts
>it doensn't really look like you can build much with the parts
This is what makes McFarlane so great, because it's as LEGOy as any lego set can be AND looks like a fucking model.

The largest pieces are three roof pieces and the awning. The roof piece has a bunch of little shit you can add to it, so it's way more customizable than any megabloks crap and the plastic is better than LEGOs.
>>
>>6122239
According to McFarlane's Facebook they plan to have more 5 inch TV Series figures released throughout the year, so they haven't abandoned that line completely.

They've also shown off a figure of a 5" Aaron that's coming out soon.
>>
>>6122318
God damn can you imagine if they made this fully articulated? It would be McFarlanes best selling figure ever
>>
>11 POA
>unfolding wing cape that looks good
>7" tall

This is a better Spawn figure than the new one despite being 20 year sold. Only flaw are the hollow eyes and the batteries you can't change, but putty the eyes in and paint them green and it's great. And they go for $25 shiipped average NIB on eBay.
>>
>>6126323
Imagine a 30-POA Spawn with a big cloth cape that had wires in it.
>>
>>6126190
It's looking like it's gonna be a Walgreens exclusive line, IF Rick and the forthcoming Aaron sell well enough.
>>
File: image10th_spawn_photo_06_dp.jpg (77KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image10th_spawn_photo_06_dp.jpg
77KB, 600x900px
>>6126447
Image 10th Anniversary Spawn has 32 POA. No wired cloth cape, but the plastic cape is beautifully sculpted and apparently has joints in it so you can sorta pose it. It even comes with real metal chains and this bitchin cross base to perch on!! It is very likely the most perfect Spawn toy ever made.

Too bad this thing is rare as shit and goes for $$$$$ these days.
>>
>>6127044
shame it has swivel shoulders rather than ball joints, a major flaw in the design. Plus it's the early costume, if you prefer the revised one then >>6126323 is your best option

Then again, it's not like the original 94 Spawn is that bad of a figure for the original costume. Basic Toy Biz POA but not too bad, really. Well, they're all better than these statues Todd insists on even now.
>>
File: PICT0004comp.0.jpg (22KB, 336x338px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0004comp.0.jpg
22KB, 336x338px
>>6122373
>If you were alive/collecting/old enough to be collecting something like Spawn back in the first wave, god damn it was just such a paradigm shift. Even the Spawn Mobile, as fucking idiotic of a concept that it was, made it fun to be a collector.
THIS. The Spawn line was a goddamn GAME CHANGER. I had so much fun parking my idiotic Spawn Mobile in my Spawn Alley playset. Having Violator break in from the roof. Tremor lurking down on the street. And after that first wave shit just got better and better. The sculpts got crazier, the paint apps more intensive, the poseability more...poseable. I suppose something had to give. The line was reaching almost meteoric heights for the time, and something in Todd's brain just...broke.

I still remember the day I got Future Spawn here. It may look kinda dopey by modern standards, but this was one of my absolute favorite toys as a kid.
>>
File: Spawn 02.jpg (400KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Spawn 02.jpg
400KB, 1600x1200px
>>6127052
If I'm gonna have one really good Spawn figure, then of course it's gotta be the early costume.

Also, I know 10th Ann. Spawn has swivel shoulders. It's a shame, yeah, but I think I can deal considering he has pretty much all the other important joints. Also, he does have butterfly joints in the shoulder/chest, which gives you a little wiggle room to play with.
>>
>>6127061
>Future Spawn

Really could've been an excellent toy, if not for one big goof- attaching its left arm to the leg for no reason. Really hampered he design. Pity too, it;s clearly taking some Metroid inspirations, visually, and had a ball jointed right shoulder, I don't know what was going through the sculptor's head to gimp the left arm so bad by grafting it to the leg.
>>
>>6127065
I will admit it's a nice toy, but for something I'd plop on my shelf and probably only ever touch when I need to dust it then the $120+ it goes for is excessive for my budget and a $15 wave 1 Spawn would suit that role just fine.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (46KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
46KB, 400x400px
>>6127070
Oh man, I didn't even remember that. I guess I was so swept up in the joy of it that I didn't realize (or care) at the time. My best guess is that they wanted the additional shock value of having that exposed metal nub in his left shoulder. It sort of drives the amputation home even moreso than the robot limbs jammed into him.
>>
They make some really good quality stuff, or at least they used to, but they use it on the most disgusting shit. Just look at this, or any of the Tortured Souls line for that matter. Eugh.
>>
>>6129726
With these tortured souls, you have to keep in mind that it was a Clive Barker project complete with short stories, so it appealed to that audience.

I know these figures aren't for everyone but I really enjoyed them in when I was in highschool and managed to get the guy hanging from his face.

The twisted oz stuff is awesome, so is the circus one.

My biggest complaint is that McFarlane toys totally changed their website to an incredibly non-user-friendly modern b.s. page where you can't find anything. You used to be able to browse all the sets based on genre and year. That's all besides the point though.

Yes, the majority of figures have very limited pose-ability, making them statue-like but I honestly enjoyed a lot of the stuff they had and I am sad that mainstream toy collectors would rather have a bunch of sports crap than crazy monsters and dragons.

as an aside, anyone remember those McFarlane Dragons sets? is that what they were called?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.