[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shitty/mediocre toys you still kinda want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

File: VoltronClubLionForceLARGE.jpg (860KB, 2612x1892px) Image search: [Google]
VoltronClubLionForceLARGE.jpg
860KB, 2612x1892px
Got Soul of Chogokin GoLion/Voltron a few days ago.As awesome as it is, and probably the best Voltron toy out there, it reminded me of this ambitious trainwreck, Mattel's 23'' tall Voltron. While its nowhere near as refined, I gotta admit I love a pilot gimmick, and I had a Panosh Place Voltron KO as a kid so its close to its spiritual successor.
>>
I've been eyeing that new Playmates Voltron. Pretty big, pretty articulated, $40? Kinda dumb looking but tempting anyway.
>>
Saw a 1984 Voltron with accessories today for 125 at a flea market. Just seems a little much for what it is
>>
File: Baldigus 14.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Baldigus 14.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
>>
For a robot that turns into an ambulance, this appeals to me more than MP Ratchet.
>>
>>6114477
I wouldn't call those Go-Bots shitty. I mean, a lot of the US exclusive stuff was shit, but the MAchine robo releases where great, and better than similarly sized Transformers.A horrible US cartoon and an aggressive Hasbro marketing campaign made it so they where deemed ripoffs, despite Machine Robo existing for a longer time and Bandai having arguably the better engineering.
>>
>>6114474
got em preordered. always loved the deco on these guys more than the original g1 team
>>
>>6114524
So the US-exclusive GoBots were:

Scratch (MRT-41)
Vanguard (MRT-42)
Sparky (MRT-43)
Stinger (MRT-44)
Stallion (MRT-45)
Command Center
Thruster
ZOD
Boomer 1
Boomer 2

and that's it outside of a handful of recolors.
>>
Soul of Chogokin Voltron. It looks like shit but I'm a sucker for good quality transforming robots.
>>
File: original and real ghostbusters.jpg (48KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
original and real ghostbusters.jpg
48KB, 600x336px
>>6114524
>A horrible US cartoon and an aggressive Hasbro marketing campaign made it so they where deemed ripoffs
But that's the only thing that matters.

Who cares if something was first or more original. All that matters is whose marketing is superior.

Transformers > Microdioclonewhatevers > gobots > machine robo

Ripoff Ghostbusters > real Ghostbusters > Extreme Ghostbusters > Slimer and the Ghostbusters > feminist remake of the ripoff Ghostbusters
>>
File: 1067843734_prowl_14.jpg (147KB, 766x767px) Image search: [Google]
1067843734_prowl_14.jpg
147KB, 766x767px
some figures from Energon

some of them looked like shit and has brick articulation like pic related

but boy i do want to fiddling around with combining robots
>>
File: Space Ghost 012.jpg (75KB, 620x588px) Image search: [Google]
Space Ghost 012.jpg
75KB, 620x588px
>>6114405
>arm-legs aren't folded properly
>>
>>6114477
>Rest-Q
>>
>>6115401
but the Filmation series wasn't good. If anything, their original version was long forgotten by the time the movie was worked on, and their cartoon literally only happened to try to cash in on the movie. Filmation was more than willing to let Akroyd use the title because no one gave a shit about their version anymore.
>>
File: Real-Ghostbusters-post.jpg (1MB, 800x1053px) Image search: [Google]
Real-Ghostbusters-post.jpg
1MB, 800x1053px
>>6115691
>>6115691
oh, sorry, i meant to put the original Ghostbusters at the end, after feminists Ghostbusters.

Just like how Transformers made everything else seem like ripoff shit, ya know?
>>
>>6115565
They can't be folded in any other way because they're hindered by an unnecesary auto-transformation gimmick.
>>
>>6115893
That auto gimmick is what really killed the Mattel Voltron. The new Playmates one is pretty incredible. I'm just missing Red and Blue at the moment.
>>
File: 10h60kl.jpg (240KB, 587x610px) Image search: [Google]
10h60kl.jpg
240KB, 587x610px
>>6115903
>That auto gimmick is what really killed the Mattel Voltron
Don't get me started. I cannot process how anyone at Mattel thought it was good idea. They already had the pilot gimmick, did they really need something else? And if they were dead set on another gimmick there were so many better options like lights, sounds, or firing weapons. Then take into account that it auto transforms BACKWARDS, and it's mind boggling how this actually got implimented.

It's still a cool toy because of the sheer size and it's ability to hold 3 & 3/4 figures, but that gimmick is the main thing that prevents it from going down as one of the best toys ever made.
>>
>>6115903
>That auto gimmick is what really killed the Mattel Voltron.

>>6118277
>that gimmick is the main thing that prevents it from going down as one of the best toys ever made.

Not even close. The only remarkable thing about that toy is its size, as far a quality and details goes it's really subpar. The thing can't even stand straight in combined mode without the risk of leaning forward.
>>
File: 20620cn.jpg (131KB, 540x816px) Image search: [Google]
20620cn.jpg
131KB, 540x816px
>>6118381
>The thing can't even stand straight in combined mode without the risk of leaning forward.
That's certainly another issue, and a needless one since all they needed to do was have the ratchets positioned differently to combat the lean, but you can get him in a sturdy pose with arms extended, so I think the gimmick is still the main thing holding this back.

It's my only complaint about the individual lions, and beyond the knees of the combined mode, it's my only real gripe with the combined Voltron. I wish the legs folded more accurately, the belt buckle was rectangular, and black lion's jaw went into the body so Voltron had a longer face, but those are fairly nitpicky complaints in the grand scheme of things.

Ultimately if this toy were identicle, minus the gimmick, I'd be pretty thrilled with it.
>>
>>6115903
I'm enjoying my Playmates lions.

Red and I have been playing all night and he's a blast. Hope they'll find a way to release his Bayard weapons without me having to double dip on lions.
>>
>>6115401
>wanted to get the Filmation Ghostbusters toys
>"everybody hates it so they must be cheap, right?"
Boy was I wrong
>>
>>6124691
They were cheap a while ago. There was a huuuuge nostalgia boom 10 or so years ago where prices for 80s and 90s figures went from dirt cheap (mostly) to waaay to expensive.
>>
>>6114573
That's the reason I held off on buying the WFC Bruticus.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.