[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Top Toys of 2016!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

File: Photo 02-01-2017, 0 16 48.jpg (345KB, 1613x1042px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 02-01-2017, 0 16 48.jpg
345KB, 1613x1042px
Alright /toy/, it's the 1st of the 1st, and it's time to look back at 2016.

Had a quick look through the catalog and I didn't see anything like this yet, weird because normally half a dozen people try to make one.

Anyway, what are your top 3 toys of this year?

For me it's pic related. I've been cutting down and didn't buy that many toys this year, but these three were definitely my favorites.

>Whitesnake
In a time when Medicos' quality is slipping, they did a great job with this guy, pulling off the writing on his body well, and generally sculpting and painting it nicely.

>SSH Kamen Rider Double
Favorite toy of the year. Massive improvement over the original SAS, and while not quite as accessory heavy as some of the other releases, they clearly put a lot of work into him.

>Masterpiece Ironhide
Shockwave was probably the better MP release of the year, but I didn't pick him up (yet). Ironhide was not only a decent rendition of the character, but one of the most cartoon accurate ones we've ever gotten, and won on many accounts.
>>
Bandai really impressed me this year. Most years they make maybe 1 or 2 things that turn out good. Looking back on 2016, damn, Nippon killed it.

Hi-metal Glaug
Hi-metal Regult
SOC GoLion
RD Dom
RD Z'gok
SHF Ultraman
SHF Zoffy
Monsterarts Gojira '54
Chogokin no Katamari Gundam, Zaku, and Char's Zaku

If this becomes a trend, my wallet will not survive 2017.

Top 3? Maybe Golion, Z'gok, and Ultraman? I dunno. They're all really awesome.
>>
File: 1441560020698.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1441560020698.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Last year I made this thread and people bitched and moaned because they hadn't received their December order yet to include or that some people included toys from last year or just general that toy sucks shit. I like the idea and I think it's a great way to find new shit, but be prepared for autism. ADVANCED autism
>>
>>6102111
I really enjoyed 4 inch nel Megaman. Great figure for a great price
>>6102190
I remember that attempt. Not sure where that special autism came from. These threads worked fine in December before
>>
>>6102111
Albw deluxe link
MM Apollo with add-on
Truforce MegaMan x white armor

That's it for me
>>
>>6102190
Ideally would make most sense to do this thread around end of January as it allows for people to get their December orders with the rush of Christmas or having items in their order that didn't ship till a day or two before the end of the year.
Though /toy/ runs slow enough that this thread might work well enough as it will still be up in a few weeks.
>>
File: 1432283827767.jpg (13KB, 345x346px) Image search: [Google]
1432283827767.jpg
13KB, 345x346px
>>6102190
I feel your pain. I made one about two weeks ago and it was shit posted to hell and back.
>>
>>6102295
If it makes you feel any better it looks like >>6102290 is trying to get the ball rolling.
>>
Throwing Diabattles V2, Figma ALBW Link DX and Mastermind Creations Carnifex in the ring.
>>
As a 1/18 scalefag and a customizer...

Noir Spider-Man. Highly poseable, the body lends itself well to making customs of everyone from Blade to Red Skull to Snake-Eyes.

As a runner up, Black Series Jyn Erso and Rey. Very spot on face sculpts. Better than the 1/12 faces. If only Rey had come with a BB-8...
>>
File: nendokirby.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
nendokirby.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
Mother fucking Nendoroid Kirby
>>
>>6102375
From what I heard only the initial reception was poor.

Once reviewers and customers started actually getting it in hand they really liked it.

I just never cared for G1 Ironhide since my only exposure to him while I was growing up was heroic nonsense.
>>
>>6102375
Huh? I'm not OP. But here's your (you) anyway.
>>
>>6102375
It's funny because the first included SHF Ultraman when everyone in the Toku general said it was shit because of his loose as fuck hips and manlet size
Really shows you what the average /toy/ soldier thinks qualifies as the best
>>
>SIC Gaim and SIC Zangetsu
That shit is just fucking gorgeous
>SDCC Raft Spidey
My favorite Spider-Man look in a long time
>Robot Damashii A.N.I.M.E. Gouf
The whole line is fucking stellar, but the Gouf is a long time favorite
>>
File: buy the Jew girl toys.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
buy the Jew girl toys.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
Except for Lego I only bought SRC Jeeg, Figuarts Ranma and Lupin, Kitty Pryde and some GI Joes.

Kitty was the only one I opened.
>>
>>6102266
>Ideally would make most sense to do this thread around end of January as it allows for people to get their December orders with the rush of Christmas or having items in their order that didn't ship till a day or two before the end of the year.

This. It's common sense.
>>
File: hot and fresh.gif (1MB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
hot and fresh.gif
1MB, 480x336px
>>6102266
>>6102448
>>
I barely bought anything that was released in 2016, most of it was older stuff that I missed years ago or gained a newfound love for once I discovered it. Plus most of the lines that I collect were really fucking disappointing, or the releases were good but didn't blow me away. Medicos is guilty of both, really losing heart for the line. 2016 was a meh kind of year for figures.

Best of 2016:
>Mezco Spock, Sulu, Kirk
I'll just say the 3 of them, though obviously Spock is the stand-out. But they're all exceptional. Can't wait for the rest of the crew, minus Chekov and has shitty Beatles haircut.

>Jakks WoN Tanooki Mario
It's the only Nintendo figure I own, but it's my favorite Mario design, is a perfect realization of the costume into 3D, and was really inexpensive. Good combo.

>Kinnikuman Muscle Throne
Nice enough figure, really pushed the engineering side of things along with the rest of the KM line. I like the simplicity of it. Though in any other year it wouldn't have even cracked my top 10 list.

Best 2016 purchase that I made, regardless of year released:
>Mezco Martian Soldier
My second one, just need one more to finish my squad
>>
>>6102111 (checked)
Only top three? This may change when my SHF Shoretroopers arrive but right now it's:

1. Robot Damashii Ingram Unit 1
2. SHF Scout Trooper with Speeder Bike
3. Robot Damashii ANIME RX-78-2 Gundam
>>
File: reduced-image_11605_106.jpg (47KB, 640x761px) Image search: [Google]
reduced-image_11605_106.jpg
47KB, 640x761px
>>6102111
>>Masterpiece Ironhide
>Shockwave was probably the better MP release of the year, but I didn't pick him up (yet). Ironhide was not only a decent rendition of the character, but one of the most cartoon accurate ones we've ever gotten, and won on many accounts.

For me, this year was all about Optimus Primal. It blends the lines between transforming figures and Japanese figure lines like Figma or sHF, even if its not as articulated.

As far as high end figures go, Hot toys Ben Affleck Batman was amazing, if a bit odd in some spots.

Waiting to get SoC GoLion/Voltron this week, will probably be solid but doesn't look spectacular.
>>
Shf Bruce Lee
>>
>>6102795
Oh, and while we're at it - top three disappointments:

1) SHF Riot Control Stormtrooper (mine came with the worst QC issues I've ever seen on a Bandai figure)
2) SHF Jango Fett (worst Star Wars figure in the line)
3) SHF Iron Man in general

To elaborate on that last point - stylised proportions aside, the Mark VI figure and War Machine Mark I are STILL the best figures in the line. They just tread water with these releases, never making any real effort to improve the engineering, effect parts, etc. They keep basing the figures on unfinished concept art to rush them to market faster. I refuse to buy any more after the Mark 46 turned out to be a literal reskin of the Mark 45 with simplified torso joints. I'm thinking of selling off everything but the Iron Man 2 figures and putting the cash into Sentinel's Re:Edit line or Comicave instead.
>>
1954 NECA Godzilla was great.

>>6102435

that's a nice kitty butt. is there a nice rogue butt also?
>>
>>6102111
>Alright /toy/, it's the 1st of the 1st, and it's time to look back at 2016.
Have some patience ffs, that's like the 4th toty already. Wait until the second half of January.
>>
Honestly I didn't pick up alot of stuff from this year.
Was the SHF Phasma a 2016 release? If so she's probably my favorite. With BS Sabien being #2, the Mattel Master Chief from their new 6" halo line being my number #3.
>>
File: IMG_7174.jpg (2MB, 3138x3020px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7174.jpg
2MB, 3138x3020px
And I'll form the Toy of the Year!
>>
For me I'd have to be marvel legends cable
>>
>>6104411
This toy has very few flattering angles.
>>
File: p2 mezco.jpg (188KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
p2 mezco.jpg
188KB, 600x800px
>>6102574
Best of 2016:
>Mezco Spock, Sulu, Kirk
Yes, this.
Mezco product is number 1 for second year in a row.

It's a shame they couldn't get this out in time.
>>
>>6104999
>It's a shame they couldn't get this out in time.
To the best of my knowledge, they've NEVER actually met a single deadline for One:12. DKR Batman was late, Dredd was late, all three TOS got pushed back, Cap was delayed, BvS was late, pretty sure Frankenstein was supposed to have come out a while ago but just recently got released. They have like 6 or so figures that they have marked as "January 2017" so obviously that won't happen.

I guess their con exclusives are the only things they've done on time. They're really making themselves look bad and unprofessional, considering that they've been in the toy game for over a decade.
>>
for me the DMG figma since i got it on december 30
>>
>>6104999 I can't seem to find the variant of that figure with the white boots and gloves like in your picture.
>>
File: mezco punisher previews.jpg (57KB, 752x564px) Image search: [Google]
mezco punisher previews.jpg
57KB, 752x564px
>>6105129
It's going to be an exclusive, albeit if the ones announced prove to be popular.

I will buy a second one if any of them do Rucka Punisher.
>>
>>6104999

If the BvS batman I ordered doesn't impress me, I'm done with this line.

My Dredd was meh.
>>
>>6105198
>want to be impressed with shitty design from shitty movie
you're just setting yourself up for disappointment
>>
>>6105179
But that one doesn't have the white boots or gloves???
>>
File: Rucka Punisher.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rucka Punisher.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>6105231
doesn't look like it, but i would wait if you want the white gloved punisher if you're only going to buy one.
The Punisher is a figure that will get enough sales to push for more variants. there was also one with a mask shown too. So here's hoping they do more.
>>
>>6105240
I still miss you, Solid Frank.
>>
These figures are fucking superlative. They don't QUITE edge out the Neca figures as my favorite TMNT figures of all time, but they come closer than any figure line ever has.

I can't wait for Shredder.
>>
S.H. Figuarts brucelee
Nendo Kirby
4 inch Nel Megaman

Honorable mention.
Figma Link DX edition.
>>
File: 61nZqZOT8yL._SL1440_.jpg (109KB, 1440x1029px) Image search: [Google]
61nZqZOT8yL._SL1440_.jpg
109KB, 1440x1029px
>>6102111
my boy garo was the best easily
>>
>>6109772
I want to like my Donatello, but his left eye is painted on at the wrong angle.
>>
>>6109772
>party favor designs being recommended for TotY
Party Supply y Patty's Dulces City shills please go.
>>
File: small.jpg (920KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
small.jpg
920KB, 1200x795px
My top 10 of 2016
>>
>>6111480
You're annoying, but your dedication to this is entertaining. How long have you been doing this? Keep it up, I legitimately laugh every time I see your posts
>>
>>6116076
The amount of shit taste in this one picture is staggering.
>>
MP Inferno
MP Optimus Primal
SHFSS W
SHF Ultraman and Baltan
TFC Poseidon (the 3 limbs so far atleast)

Those are my picks, 2016 was a pretty good year for toys so it's hard for me to pick an all time favourite.
>>
>>6116184
I only see two lackluster figures in that picture, the rest are all pretty great.
>>
>>6116205
he probably meant how it's all transformers, capeshit and star wars
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.