[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scalper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: thr_scalping_final_a_l.jpg (112KB, 648x365px) Image search: [Google]
thr_scalping_final_a_l.jpg
112KB, 648x365px
/toy/soldiers, what's your people take on scalpers? What price would you say is reasonable or scalper price? Any stories/experience with scalpers?
>>
Scalpers are soulless greedy jewish faggots and should kill themselves.
>>
If I buy something and decide to sell it for more later, is that always scalping? Even if the value of the item has gone up? Is it only scalping if I buy it with intent to resell it later?
>>
>>6091143

I would never consider buying something and then reselling it later at whatever price it's worth scalping.

To me in order to be considered a scalper you have to be interrupting the supply. For example an item is released in a limited edition of 20 and somebody camps the release and buys 15 just to resell at quadruple the price. That's scalping to me because the person is literally preventing others from getting the product at its intended price.

In the scenario you presented you purchased the item because you liked it at the time and are merely reselling it later for what it's currently worth on the second hand market. I see no scalping there.
>>
>>6091143
I'd say selling something long sold-out for a fitting aftermarket price is not scalping.
You bought that thing and intended to keep it, but things happen and certain prices exist for a reason.

Scalper however buy and intend to sell it for a mark-up right away.
Yes, as long as they find people who are willing to pay their prices it's their thing how much to ask.
However, it's annoying when they buy so much stock that a regular buyer is unable to get the thing during the regular order period.
It just sucks for the fans, same with concert tickets and the like.
>>
They're not marking up food, water, medicine, etc. It's fucking toys sold to overgrown adult manchildren so they can plop a piece of plastic on their shelf for display. If someone can make $5 profit per toy, well so what? If you don't like scalpers, don't buy from them.
>>
>>6091143
You're fine anon. There's nothing wrong with buying something you want and then getting rid of it later for whatever reason. You weren't buying to resell it or hording it away till it's price went up.

>>6091317
Technically, drug companies scalp their own products. But I do get your point.

I think the real problem comes in during christmas. As an adult, I decide what I buy and how much I want to pay for an item. But during christmas scalpers prey on children and their parents who aren't practiced at toy hunting. I don't know how morally wrong I'd classify it, but it's definitely distasteful.
>>
>>6091382
the irony of Christmas scalping is that the very day after Christmas, that crap becomes as unwanted as ebola-infested rats. Zhu Zhu hamsters were scalped like mad the year they came out, yet when kids got them and realized they were a shit toy, stores became unable to sell them at any price. Mind you, that's not really reselling for profit to manchildren who can afford it on their luxury/novelty budget, that's just dirt. It's somethign I'd expect a scumfuck like Jin to do.
>>
>>6091132
I've always been tempted to scalp stuff but I'm too lazy and I find it scummy
>>
>>6091143
If you buy something and decide later to sell it at a fair market price I don't see any problem.

It's scalping if you're going from store to store and buying up all of the popular guys just so you can sell them for profit.
>>
>>6091132
>what's your people take on scalpers
That they don't exist in modern times.

If you're too dumb to pre-order, or are a troglodyte that still hunts pegs without having the safety net of locking in a purchase ahead of time elsewhere, then you're pushing 'scalper' prices on yourself. But that aftermarket exists solely because of consumer stupidity, not because of actual rarity.

Basically you're a dumb fuck if you can convince yourself that there's such a thing as scalpers anymore.
>>
I always sell things below their original retail price because I think jacking up the price of a toy will only turn the purchase into a bad experience and I don't need the extra 10 dollars anyways.
However, when I have to sell something it's often because I don't like it anymore so it's already below its original (((second-hand market))) price anyway.
>>
File: bask.jpg (8KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
bask.jpg
8KB, 240x180px
>>6091542
t. scalper
>>
>>6091317
>If you don't like scalpers, don't buy from them.
Nice opinion you have there, champ. You sure you are posting in the right thread?
>>
>>6091542
>That they don't exist in modern times.
Hi scalper.
>>
They are shit.
>>
>>6091132
>what's your people take on scalpers?
It's a shitty practice.

> Any stories/experience with scalpers?
One of my former friends admitted to scalping Amiibos when they were on the rise. I can see if you're a NEET scalping stuff, but this fucker had a job wage slaving at Best Buy. I asked why he'd scalp when he's already making money and his response was along the line of

>Whatever! If I can do it and get away with it then who cares?

Told he was a greedy cunt for doing it but "LOL I got my money so whatever. Stay mad."
Glad Amiibos aren't that popular anymore.
>>
I'm pretty good friends with a scalper IRL actually, and I can tell you that they're fucking awful. I have a couple stories, if I can articulate them well enough.

>let's call this guy Tom.
>Tom has a HUGE collection, he's been collecting for 20 or 30 years.
>has everything you could ever want, Transformers, OG Starwars shit, Voltron, M.A.S.K., Joe, I'm talking everything.
>(he's a richfag, wife is a big Boss in her company and he is too)
>Be me, 19 year old collector when I meet him.
>be completely new to collecting
>'Hey Tom, what should I start collecting?"
>Tom sells me several piece of shit G1 transformers for rape prices and I don't know any better. Like 25 bucks for a fucked Optimus Prime and 30 for a Magnus in shit condition.
>I make a bunch of repro parts for him for essentially free because why not
>he sells them as originals
>here comes Star wars Black series
>HEY ANON FIND ME X FIGURES AND I'LL TAKE THEM OFF YOUR HANDS
>Check out his ebay store
>it's all figs marked up to 3x their value
>he's literally scamming people out of their money
>Get to finally see his home collection
>He has literal shelves upon shelves of duplicate things, whole attic full of garbage to re-sell.
>Now that a couple years have passed we help each other out on finding stuff (mostly SW and TF stuff)
>as soon as I trade him things they go on ebay for 3-4 times what he paid for them
>he nonstop brags about how he rips people off

He's not bad as a person but he's such a douchebag about toys.
>>
>>6091990
Dude, your friend is Rusty Brown collector-wise.
>>
>>6091849
to be fair, wage slaving is barely a step above NEETdom.
>>
>>6092163
Yeah, you're right. He's not as sad, but otherwise yeah.
>>
>>6092163
Nah, Rusty retools his own repros as originals.
>>
File: HumanFuckingGarbageDidThis.jpg (457KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
HumanFuckingGarbageDidThis.jpg
457KB, 1600x1195px
>>6091132
>>
There's a dude where I work that always scalps each figures. He's a little balding Asian dude that always wears some sort of green sweater with red sweat pants and sandals/socks. He stalks and waits for the toy pallet to come out and I even saw him throwing a mini tantrum at some girl stocker because he wanted to get into the ML Xmen Wave cases to get his Deadpools/Wolverines.

I wonder what this guy's story is that got him here. I think scalpers suck like pretty much everyone else, they're the reason why I preorder pretty much everything now.
>>
I honestly don't give a shit about them. whoever gets the toy first gets the toy first.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.