[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BJD/Asian Doll Thread: Get on it, Danny!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 109

File: Hikaru.jpg (289KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Hikaru.jpg
289KB, 1024x1536px
Last thread >>6015245

FAQs:
/toy/ - bjd.buyfags.moe
/jp/ - dollfaq.buyfags.moe

Doll news and company list:
>http://bjdcollectasy.com/
>bjdcollectasy.com/companies-other-links/

WIP Database/Height comparison:
>dollection.fi

Doll magazine scans (patterns!):
>plus.google.com/112174196208952755265/photos

Common sealants for faceups (there are more, but these are most frequently used):
>Mr. Super Clear Flat/Matte (UV-cut is preferred)
>Testor’s Dullcote (tends to get dirty easily)
>Citadel Purity Seal
>Zoukeimura Finishing Powder (it’s a spray by Volks)
>Liquitex Matte Medium (airbrush)

The general population of /bjd/ are anti-recast or are pretty much neutral on the subject.
Stop beating the dead horse every thread by asking.

Our threads are mostly dedicated to Ball-jointed dolls and other dolls in the Asian market.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
>>
File: choo making gourai.png (407KB, 596x593px) Image search: [Google]
choo making gourai.png
407KB, 596x593px
LAST TIME, ON /BJD/…
>Kayke continues to be a pain train on the eyes
>We argue over centaur proportions
>Bimong’s doll delayed because perfectionism
>More eye horrors that aren’t from Kayke
>We debate how many eyebrows a cyclops has and other features
I’m seeing a trend here.
>PukiPuki are used to recreate a KKK lynching scene
>We note how Elfgutz is one of these people that gets worse over time
>Danny Choo going all out with a potato nosed Spike from Cowboy Bebop and a Frame Arms Girl Collaboration
Speaking of which, it would be kinda rad and related if he did franchises like the pic in OP, but it would probably come out looking like a Chitose in cosplay.
>DoA fucking with the DD threads
>Bad tattoo artist IRL? Bad tattoo artist on dolls, too.
>Dollmore clothing: You get what you pay for or less.
>New Impl muscle lady body… isn’t that muscular. Just has abs.
>>
File: 11650358303_3f084912a1_c.jpg (203KB, 450x800px) Image search: [Google]
11650358303_3f084912a1_c.jpg
203KB, 450x800px
>>6058610
>Is it possible to build on a faceup after you've applied a semi gloss to parts?

Difficult.
You can seal it again to get back some of the grip and then apply more pastel.
Or you go straight for acrylic.
It might turn out okay, but it really depends on how the lips were painted before (like, when you have painted on lip lines those might look fugly if you blush on top of them).

>>6056576
I think the FL body is pretty, but definitely has that Last Unicorn aesthetic.

My favourite is the Luts one too, had them here several times for commissions now and they are both nice looking and pose so damn well.
You can even let them make a "handstand" just with the front hooves or let it balance on one back hoof while the rest of the doll is in the air (pic related, not mine).
No clue how the fuck that works, because I have human dolls who refuse to even fucking stand with both feet on the ground.

The Soom MSD one was a bit too plain and had a gigantic ass, and the small ones went a little to far with the hanging belly.
And the Epidos one was a shame because the human part looked incredibly silly.
Chiron looked weird, same for the female Souldoll.
I honestly hope Luts will finally release a SD centaur someday.
>>
>>6058751
That's some impressive shit there. I'd be nervously hoverhanding it like a beta getting his picture taken with Jessica Nigri
>>
File: DSCF6318.jpg (221KB, 1083x742px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6318.jpg
221KB, 1083x742px
>>6058751
Are there wires or a stand holding that up? If not, wow.
>>
>>6058757
>I'd be nervously hoverhanding it like a beta getting his picture taken with Jessica Nigri

That was a wonderful description anon.

Also agree, but they seem to stand surprisingly stable according to the owners. It's crazy, I honestly have no clue how people manage that, or how Luts did it. The dolls are also all not sueded, can't imagine how well they could pose with some little extra grip. Just those clear hooves/parts are fugly, don't get why the first one had piss yellow clear glitter hooves.
>>
>>6058786
Oops, you posted that while I wrote the other reply.

See >>6058790
They can do that fresh from the box, without sueding or wiring.
The jointing is actually surprisingly simple (i.e. without tons of extra joints, nubs and whatnot) and the body is easy to string too.
>>
>>6058751
Thanks anon!
I didn't do any hard lines, I tried to do everything with shading. I looked at some other people's version of my sculpt and wanted to make her lips turn up a little more. I probably won't for fear of botching the entire face up, it was my first one.
>>
File: s_m_o_k_e_by_gutterface-d3ixvt3.jpg (40KB, 800x544px) Image search: [Google]
s_m_o_k_e_by_gutterface-d3ixvt3.jpg
40KB, 800x544px
fucking kek
Kayke is becoming the new Gutterface. She's now doing dead animal jewelry too.

For you youngin's, Gutterface was a doll scammer that painted a doll with menustral blood.
>>
File: 16737353639_abb1e6debb_o.jpg (273KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
16737353639_abb1e6debb_o.jpg
273KB, 650x650px
>>6058802
If it was your first one I would actually tell you to wipe the whole face and redo it.

You gained more experience, even if it's just through looking how others worked with the face and realizing what can be done better, so if you redo it you will probably achieve something way better AND get the lips you want too.

Especially in the beginning the jumps in quality are pretty big from face-up to face-up (if you take your time and learn inbetween). Just give it a try.
>>
>>6058804
I'm actually surprised she didn't do some "PAINTED WITH MY OWN MENSTRUAL BLOOD BECAUSE MUH FEMINISM" bullshit yet, or painting with her blood at all considering how much she likes to talk about her body fluids.
>>
>>6058804
>painted a doll with menstrual blood
Thanks anon, I was unaware of how batshit fucking crazy people in this hobby are
>>
>>6059575
Expensive hobby. Have to cut cost/corners somewhere.
>>
>>6058659
Angelic Layer cosplay BJD?
I am cry
>>
>>6053711
The Ninja ladies in Violence Jack have that body type.
>>
I've always wanted to get my hands on a soom epidos horse body and see what other torsos would look like on it. I have a friend who moded a souldoll Vito dude so he could use it and it looks so much better proportionally than the supergem made for it.

Tbh I don't know why companies that make centaur bjd don't provide an alternate horse neck/head for people who just want a resin bjd horse. I'd be so down for that.
>>
File: DSCF6333.jpg (182KB, 1074x689px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6333.jpg
182KB, 1074x689px
>>6060052
>>6058796

Are there any complete bjd horses that a doll can ride on? (And not look garbage)
>>
>>6060305
Yes, there was the one by Domuya, called Nightmare
It was HUGE and came with full battle armor too, unfortunately it was pretty expensive and shipping was crazy because of that.

Pic related, someone managed to take off the armor (search for #domuyanightmare on Insta for more).
>>
File: IMG_20161208_192333.png (1MB, 1080x1346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161208_192333.png
1MB, 1080x1346px
>>6060325
Sorry, dropped the pic
>>
>>6060330

I always thought nightmare was amazing but anatomically he could really only pass for an Akhal Teke he's so incredibly skinny.

What's worse most people who own him try to make him a Friesian just cause he's black and that looks so weird since their a big horse.
>>
>>6060345
It's also actually way too small for most bigger SDs.
Domuya only had regular SDs, so SD10/SD13 sized works best.
Most dolls are nowadays bigger than though, a 65cm or bigger doll would look awkward on it.

Which is probably the reason no other company ever made a jointed horse.
Even for the smaller sizes the horse needs to be huge, and even unstrung shipping would be high.
>>
File: DSCF6327.jpg (148KB, 905x725px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6327.jpg
148KB, 905x725px
>>6060330
That is an amazing sculpt, but it feels like it really needs some body blushing or airbrushing on the horse to look good.

I wonder if it balances well with a rider?
>>
File: 7687248169864986.png (541KB, 479x595px) Image search: [Google]
7687248169864986.png
541KB, 479x595px
>>6060428
To be honest, I am not sure if Domuya actually intended for people to take off the armor it came with.
Which is probably the reason the horse is unpainted and has no mane too.
The owner of the one posted actually finally undressed it because they wanted to give it a paintjob and a proper mane.

Pic is with a doll on it (Volks SD10 Rigel).
As said, it is big but for most SD sized dolls still a pretty small horse.

No clue how well it can pose with a rider on...unfortunately there aren't many of them out there, so pics are hard to find.
Not to mention that Domuya has vanished years ago.
>>
>>6060428

i welcome our new OL overlord
>>
>>6060428
>>6060554
Dictator-chan kek
>>
Is there a shop that sells fantasy outfits that are not Chinese fantasy?
>>
File: tumblr_o9mvqr3hxN1rntr7xo1_540.jpg (103KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9mvqr3hxN1rntr7xo1_540.jpg
103KB, 540x810px
>>6058852
Maybe she has and we don't know about it.
It wouldn't wholly surprise me if her oil paintings incorporated something nasty like that.

>>6060330
I always imagined this guy's shipping was absurd, but just kinda forgot about him after he was announced.
>>
>>6058804
Apparently Gutterface is still going strong ripping off Tumblr babies. I met someone fairly recently who was talking about a very stylish trans blog they follow for inspiration, and it turned out to be GF. Its a perfect medium for that kind of personality, you throw any kind of minority angle in it and your followers will never even glance at the 'haters' argument.
>>
>>6060868
I actually checked his DoA thread and his shipping was over 200$ (someone had posted how much he was before and after shipping, but of course I can't find that post anymore...but end price with shipping was 1000+$).

There were also only 66 available and Domuya actually had planned to do a lot more with him (incl. releasing a special stand someday).
They had a lot of trouble with the shipping back then and production was difficult too, which is why they kept it at 66.

>>6060895
I bet most of them don't know about their past at all.
They just see a edgy trans person doing all that dark and ~cool~ stuff, always a great combination for Tumblr.
>>
>>6060622
>bjd.buyfags.moe
every link there sells 'not Chinese fantasy' outfits.
You should be more specific.
>>
>>6060428
she needs a zeon outfit
>>
>>6059575
It's why I only look through the doll rooms at conventions and try not talk to anyone.
>>
Is bjd-shop a scam site?
>>
>>6061436
It's one for bootlegs/recasts.

Stick to the BJD Collectasy list in OP, stay away from anything else (i.e. ebay, Taobao, Aliexpress, weirdass cheap shops full with limited sold out dolls).
>>
>>6061436
Scam as in you were looking for legit dolls? Yes. If you were looking for recasts/bootlegs, then no, that's a legitimate recast doll site (you guys know what I mean). Be warned that the photos on bjd-shop are stolen from the actual doll makers, so what you see is not what you will get. What dolls were you looking at, anon? We can help you find the legitimate source. My main beef with recasts is that they're not even cheap. It's like buying a fake Chanel bag for $2500, when the real one was $5000. You could have very well bought a good, still even designer bag for the $2500 you spent on a fake one, ya feel?
>>
So it's 1000$ for the fairyland centaur. I'm sorry but FL can fuck right off with that insanity. I'd rather get the giant ugly bodied souldoll centaur for that price.
>>
>>6062120
Oh my fucking shit! 1000+ usd for a fullset 1/4 scale ?????? gtfo fairyland. wtf
>>
>>6062196

They know the Fairyland sheeple will pay it and not even complain when it's cast all wonky. Fairyland has reached an all new level of wtfuckery.
>>
File: DSCF6396.jpg (772KB, 966x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6396.jpg
772KB, 966x1600px
I'm not so sure about her new wig. Volks is always a hit or miss.
>>
Do you ever fall in love with the stock photo of a doll but you know it won't have the clothes or wig (in my case the eyes too) and the makeup won't be exactly the same so you're like why try. Maybe I'm being overly OCD.
>>
>>6062120
>>6062196
>>6062255
If it were just a 1/4 yeah, but a centaur body is practically an entire new doll in addition.
>>
>>6061005
>I bet most of them don't know about their past at all.
Yeah the person I was talking to didn't even know Gutterface ever had dolls (this was someone in the hobby)
>>
>>6062696
Dude, the amount of resin is no excuse. The Luts centaur is same scale but far chunkier, is proven to be amazingly engineered, and cost a couple hundred less.
>>
>>6062818
Shit, I didn't know Gutterface was in the BJD hobby OR a scammer until I had been in the hobby for at least two years.

I knew of them like ten years ago when they were on DeviantArt making little clay charms and shit. I remember sending them a bunch of clay (and a nicely thought-out drawing and note because their dad was sick at the time) because I wanted to help them, and they promised that everyone who sent them supplies would get a free mini charm sent to them.

I was like twelve or something and didn't have the balls to call them out when it'd been months and I hadn't even gotten any acknowledgement that they got my shit.

Found out about two years ago that they were in the hobby and wasn't surprised in the least to find out they were a known scammer.
>>
I have my heart set on a tan supiadoll but from what I can see on flickr, the resin is very hit or miss in terms of orangeness. Is there a way to mellow a tan doll to not be so orange?
>>
>>6062826
>>6062696

The amount of resin is no excuse, but the amount of work needed is. With all the centaur parts it's like they have to cast a second doll, so here people are paying for human time needed to do that.

Not saying that it's not expensive or overpriced, but there's probably more to it than just Fairyland being greedy fucks, and it makes sense that it's more expensive than their usual dolls.

That's also paying for R&D fees (both material and human time). The doll engineering on this mist have taken quite some time (or else everyone and and their mum would be able to make poseable centaurs / horses), and regardless of where they cast their dolls, it's probably made in Korea where the workforce can't be cheap.

As for the materials, the FairyLand guy said that making molds for this wasn't easy and they had they had to throw away many expensive molds prototypes (+ the cost and devaluation of molding machines, if we want to nitpick, I guess) Also, mold wear and tear with parts with such intricate detail can't be good, so the mold devaluation per doll cast is probably higher.

Which makes me think; I wonder it it's possible to integrate a physical simulation solution in the software used by 3D BJD makers. This way, they could simulate joint movement and friction for more posability, and use fluid simulations to plan for mold making...
>>
>>6063057
FL knows they can ask so much.
Other companies did centaurs too in that size and asked way, way less.
Honestly, I am all for artists getting paid enough, but I also know the FL quality is utter shit.
You can only ask so much for engineering (which doesn't seem that special in this case) and materials when the finished produt is just meh.

For a little more I could get the Loongsoul Naga, which was 120cm (if I remember correctly) long, had a 70cm doll as human part, came with a special stand and for a tad bit more was completely painted too.
Fully sanded, completely smooth, with perfectly fitting parts.
>>
>>6063069
Just checked, dude was 166cm long and fullset included:
GongGong head(with teeth) x 1, GongGong Snake ver. body x 1, white resin base x 1, halberd x 1, Outfit x 1, eyes x 2 pairs(P14-2004, P14-2011), wig x 1(WG3-0025)

Painting and switching/adding extras cost, but you still get a 166cm long doll with outfit, base, weapon etc.
Yes, LS is in China, but they aren't the cheapest company either and at least the quality is good (faces is a different story, but who buys a doll like that because of the face?).
>>
>>6062270
It looks soft. What is it you're not so sure about?

>>6063057
The general worry is that you're paying extra for joints and stuff, yeah, but FL quality control is hit and miss. Why pay a grand on a doll if it's a gamble as to whether or not it's going to be shit? It was just a couple of weeks ago someone got a FL doll with shit legs.
>>
File: supiacomp.jpg (249KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
supiacomp.jpg
249KB, 2048x1365px
>>6063034
There isn't, tan that mellows usually turns greenish (because that's what's left when the red pigments are broken down through exposure to light).

However, Supia changed their formular several times so it depends on how recent the photos you saw were.
I attached an old-ish one I snagged from Tumblr a while ago, middle was their "light tan" (which they introduced after finally offering tan again), top is the one they currently call "original tan" (which they introduced after people complained that they want the old, limited tan back).
However, even if it's called "original tan" it's far from it.
The old tan was a light milk chocolate tan, the current one is very saturated but not as orange as the light tan.

The original tan is not that bad, but it's very saturated.
>>
File: neil.jpg (180KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
neil.jpg
180KB, 680x1024px
Why do ehad sculptors insist on making heads for bodies that are hard to get / expensive / no longer even in production? I ordered a Legende De Temps Neil head, and am having a hell of a time finding a body for it, as it was made to fit on the fucking 5th Motif Timeless body, or on their own giant monster 75 body that Ahaz and Ludwig came on. It can also fit on other super beefy 70cm+ bodies, like the Dollshe 28m, but I don't like those roided out bodies, and I also don't think a big beefy body fits the look of the face. Sure they include a neck piece that can make it fit on a 11.5cm neck instead of a 13cm, but there are actually very few companies that have dolls with 11.5cm necks still. I was considering Ringdoll until I realized that they taper their bodies' necks to fit their little pinheaded sculpts, so the very top of the neck of their bodies are like 10cm while the bottom half is bigger, so even with the LLT neck piece they're still not going to work.

The only body I found that isn't super muscular is the newer Dollzone 70cm body, which looks great in the stock photos, but then I found an owner pic and the upper torso is a barrel chested upside triangle and looks super shit.

The only other body that will work may be the Dollshe 18m, the new one that came with Arsene, but its been a year and people STILL haven't gotten it yet, and I don't want to order before I see owner pics. Plus I think the legs look like ugly tubes.

Shit fucking sucks man, why is beefy romance novel bodies the ONLY guy bodies being made these days? What happened to the fujoshit loving soft, youthful aesthetic?
>>
File: flatteringanglesvsreality.jpg (92KB, 772x668px) Image search: [Google]
flatteringanglesvsreality.jpg
92KB, 772x668px
>>6063318
pic related with the dollzone body. super disappointing to see how awkward it actually looks.
>>
>>6063318
Reason I didn't get a Ludwig (or Neil) despite liking both of them, already have enough hard to hybrid heads.

While I enjoy the aesthetic of the LLT body that height and being beefier than EID is just...you know, you really need a character for that.
One that you are willing to barely get clothes for and that totally fits that size and doesn't look weird being bigger than anything else in your group.
The Dollshe 28 is at least a little smaller and fits better with regular 70cm guys.

I still wish there would be slimmer, less toned 70cm guys.
The old Dollshe is ugly af, but at least dressed he has the right shape.

>>6063332
That is awkward as fuck, am glad I didn't get that one simply because I was unwilling to endure the DZ wait times.
>>
>>6063332
>>6063318
>>6063401
Wait am I missing something? It looks exactly like the promotional picture. Even in the company pictures it has clear shots the upside down triangle figure and the barrel chest is quite obvious. I think it's supposed to be a realistic version of the Doll Chateau Fergus/Medeas body. What did you expect differently?
>>
File: chateau_bodya06_02.jpg (44KB, 537x853px) Image search: [Google]
chateau_bodya06_02.jpg
44KB, 537x853px
>>6063577
Forgot to attach the DC Fergus body for reference.
>>
>>6063577
You can't see how awkward the upper torso looks? All of the promo pics are shot at three quarter view, so you can't see how much of a triangle it is, or how oddly it puffs out. it looks like he's taking a really deep breath and holding it in so his whole upper chest is sticking out. the waist and hip area also looks more narrow than it does in the promo shot.
>>
File: dollzone70.jpg (185KB, 683x1025px) Image search: [Google]
dollzone70.jpg
185KB, 683x1025px
>>6063579
This body while a triangle, doesn't look like the upper half is bloated. It's still a flat, natural shape. Look at it compared to dolls of a similar size and muscle mass. It's all upper chest, with the hip area looking shrunken.
>>
>>6063603
>>6063610
Oh now I see what you guys mean. The holding in a big breath is a perfect description. I thought in the promo pictures it looked awkward anyway but it does look worse especially in this photo >>6063610 The narrow hip really isn't flattering.
>>
File: 20160115153127334.jpg (230KB, 550x825px) Image search: [Google]
20160115153127334.jpg
230KB, 550x825px
>>6063577
I just checked the DZ website again, and there is no total front shot of the body.
It's always 3/4 or otherwise covered.
You can tell that he has a Cap. America Dorito body, but only in the front shot you can see that the waist/hip area is just a tad too slim for that chest.
Like, he just needs a little more to work that aesthetic.

In comparison, their other 70cm body has
Chest size: 28.5cm
Waist size: 21.5cm
The weird body has
Chest:34.5cm
Waist:23cm

One has a 7cm difference, the other 11.5cm between the two parts.
And both have 28cm hips.

>>6063610
He has a slimmer hip than the fugly old Soom body, despite being a lot bigger too.
>>
File: g_line_body.jpg (1MB, 801x8120px) Image search: [Google]
g_line_body.jpg
1MB, 801x8120px
>>6063318
>Shit fucking sucks man, why is beefy romance novel bodies the ONLY guy bodies being made these days?

Even the Chinese companies have caught on, and are making roid rage 60cm bodies for their derpy knockoff Delf heads. It's ridiculous. Akagidoll has an 11.5 neck 72cm doll, but the minor silhouette improvement is probably offset by shittier joints and overall sculpting.

<-- SD13 little boy head on a Schwarzenegger body. Instead of improving their crummy regular bodiies, they make this.

>>6063332
Looks like vintage Ken with muscles glued on afterward.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161210-010141.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161210-010141.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>6063310
This is what I saw that scared me away from getting one...and I saw peck on the rock had some heads from this year that also seemed very orange... I guess I'll just have to buy a pair of hands or something and see it in person before deciding for sure. Thanks for the help tho!
>>
>>6064890
do keep in mind that batches can vary a bit in colour, so if you buy a pair of hands the doll you get might be a slightly different colour.
>>
>>6064945
Yeah I figure I'll do it when I have the funds to potentially buy the doll right away after. But a slight variance isn't too bad I'm sure.
>>
>>6064890
Christ, that is pretty orange though.

Maybe just straight ask Supia for a current picture of their tan?
As said, the original tan is pretty saturated but a tad more red, the one in your picture looks like the "light tan".
They are both colors you need to get used to though (and reason I have no Supia in my tan group).
>>
File: tumblr_ohirxakiNj1rascg6o1_540.jpg (70KB, 540x675px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohirxakiNj1rascg6o1_540.jpg
70KB, 540x675px
Are we all in agreement that Hazel is just Kayke in doll form?
>>
File: iusa_400x400.45887137_hwqq.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
iusa_400x400.45887137_hwqq.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>6065126
Duh
>>
File: CuaCHtzUsAAWCXM.jpg (124KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
CuaCHtzUsAAWCXM.jpg
124KB, 960x720px
How can these bodies be obtained in the US?
>>
>>6065512
I'm not sure about the new ones just yet, but I was buying the old ones off of Azone's Amazon (I can explain- they were sold out on the Big 3 sites at the time).
>>
>>6065809
I'm mostly interested in the new body's super flexibility
>>
>>6064817
Wtf is Crobidoll doing with that g-line body?
>>
>>6064817

Torso joints look like absolute dog shit on t hat body. Why do companies insist on having torso joints that look all sharp edged and gross when bent. Just sculpt a one piece torso for aesthetics ffs.
>>
>>6065126
I was so tempted to ask her why the face looks like a racist caricature, and if her hands were just as mangled as the doll's IRL.

I stopped myself. But it's kind of sad to see people eat her shit up and not realize what a garbage person she really is.
>>
>>6063610
>Chalco head
>Benmore body
I call bullshit. Benmore was on the newer (2012) body. I bought the x-mas kit back in the day. That is a Chalco on a Chalco body.

>>6064817
That doll looks awkward as fuck. The jointing looks blockier than Iplehouse.

>>6066730
I've seen her irl, and her hands are normal. She looks and acts pretty normal in public, albeit pretty shy. I just think it's some weird glam sickness aesthetic she's used to.
>>
>>6066507
>Torso joints look like absolute dog shit on t hat body.
>>6067097
>That doll looks awkward as fuck. The jointing looks blockier than Iplehouse.

The terrible thing is I think they only used it once for one limited edition doll. Or not terrible, since it sucks. It's a shame they don't sell the heads separately, because all their body sculpts have the same jointing, and they charge regular Korean price for what might as well be on an AoD body.
>>
>>6065512
what are these? they look like ~6 in? I'm interested in that scale if so
>>
>>6067097
why call bullshit? people put different heads on different bodies all the time. also you're forgetting that soom does doll choice events where you can buy a head from a previous monthly limited doll and get it on a body / in a color in did not originally come in.
>>
File: 7831280096_dc1f083dd5_b.jpg (176KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
7831280096_dc1f083dd5_b.jpg
176KB, 724x1024px
>>6067749
Picco Neemo bodies. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Azone dolls, but they're from Azone. Those bodies in particular are the new models which just came out on their own (and like anon, I too am looking for them). They were used on a couple of the newer fullset releases already. I don't think they're as pretty as the older bodies, but they are MUCH better at posing. They also don't seem to have the horrible wrist breaking issue that the original bodies had.

Picco Neemo bodies are 1/12 scale. They come in three varieties now, but pic related is of the original two bodies. The D body (larger hands) is used on their Lil Fairy releases, but if you're hybriding it with a larger head (Little Dal/Byul, 23cm Obitsu heads, etc.), it looks very cute and much more proportional too.

Sorry for rambling. Picco Neemo changed my life. I'm planning on having an army of them by this time next year.
>>
>>6067847
Because it looks like Chalco's hooves and not Benmore's? I don't think anon is calling them a liar or recast owner, just mistaken.
I didn't catch this when the pic was posted either but those look like Chalco's thickass hooves to me too now that they pointed it out.
>>
File: 16695719435_477d561aa3_b.jpg (120KB, 1024x522px) Image search: [Google]
16695719435_477d561aa3_b.jpg
120KB, 1024x522px
>>6067847
>>6068034
Not the hooves are the problem, the upper body is.
The one on the picture is the old male SG body (the one the classic ones like Sard and co. came on), but Benmore had the newer one.
Picture attached.

Chalco and Benmore have very similar hooves, but they are not the same.
Benmore has softer, a bit mushy looking hair and the horn part is less massive.
That doll there is indeed a full Chalco, not a hybrid, like >>6067097 said.
>>
>>6068725
Hot damn. Is it bad that I think the old body looks better? That Benmore body looks awful. Especially from the side.
>>
File: 1451485972746.jpg (205KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1451485972746.jpg
205KB, 500x750px
>>6067847
I used to be (key words here: used to be) a huge Soom whore, so the body difference really stuck out to me. Chalco and Benmore do have similar-looking legs with the minimalistic and shitty jointing, but they are indeed different, not to mention the bodies are completely different. Chalco has black hooves and Benmore had the pearl-- even in the FCS they kept the bottom consistent.
That owner taking the comparison picture is misinformed.

I actually like the body in >>6068725 but only because it looked better topless than the old SG body. It was basically a scaled down Idealian body without sculpted pubes and the option for a thigh mobility joint. From what I gather on the new 2016 SG body, It's similar to the 2012 one, but a bit more slender and taller with some new elbow/knee peanuts. I guess I just prefer the chunky beef dudes when I have dude dolls.

Ever since the storybook dolls I lost interest, and some of the shit they've been putting out lately is cringeworthy.
>>
File: ls_eloise_17.jpg (58KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
ls_eloise_17.jpg
58KB, 700x1050px
So I love centaurs and I love FL's Lucywen's body (not the head tho) but I'm not about to drop $1500. Someone else posted owner pics of a Loongsoul Eloise- I used to have a Loongsoul, pretty nice, I thought I'd check it out. She's only $550 which isn't terrible except...

She has a human vag on her horse chest. What the fuck
>>
File: myou_body58g_08.jpg (78KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
myou_body58g_08.jpg
78KB, 700x1050px
Tit's weren't meant to look like two Mike & Ike's pills pressed together.
>>
>>6067905
Adding that the D body is also great for Nendo hybrids. Get an extra neck piece and file down the part that inserts into the head until it fits the nendo head. Looks super cute.
>>
File: legs3.jpg (44KB, 725x280px) Image search: [Google]
legs3.jpg
44KB, 725x280px
>>6069026

Does she or is that supposed to be the cleft in the muscles that horses have on their 'chest' pic related.

I mean I wouldn't put it past a Chinese company to do something that weird but still.
>>
File: um.png (19KB, 992x354px) Image search: [Google]
um.png
19KB, 992x354px
Did anyone else see this? I can't be the only one who's ... concerned?
>>
>>6069352
You probably are.

When you make a listing you can pick some joke information at the bottom, like the one with the body fluid or “My doll begged me not to sell him“, “I am really, totally sure I want to sell this“ and “I will haunt you for feedback as soon as this is over“.
Paraphrased, but you get what I mean.

Thinking about it, I am sure there are some people who take them seriously, both as seller and buyer (which is why I never use them).
>>
File: IMG_20161213_231657.png (187KB, 1080x1555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161213_231657.png
187KB, 1080x1555px
>>6069352
>>6069361
Here's a screenshot for you.
It's labelled crazypants for a reason.
>>
>>6069361
>>6069367
Woah, I've been out of the hobby a while and have only posted WTBs, not sold anything yet, what a strange feature. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
>>
>>6069352
well, how did the bodily fluids get on it?
>>
>>6069403
They did this around when they revamped the site earlier in the year. There was also a few joke listings made when they were testing.
>>
File: how2savefromiplesite.png (858KB, 622x851px) Image search: [Google]
how2savefromiplesite.png
858KB, 622x851px
>>6069367
>My English is only good until there's a problem.
I'm having way too many flashbacks here. I'm never selling to Europeans again.

Iplehouse FIDs are back. I didn't get one last time, and though I regretted it at first, I kind of just forget they existed after a few days. But now I have a second chance. They're so tempting.
>>
>>6067905
Thanks so much for the info, i appreciate the rambling haha!
>>
>>6069696
Imagine how it's like as European to deal with an US person who barely manages a straight sentence in their own language.
English is my third language, what's their excuse?
At least those are upfront about their shit writing and don't suddenly go all “me no English“ on you.

I do think some of that bad English during critical transactions isn't on purpose though. You aren't exactly taught in school how to handle such situations and when nervous/stressed people lose their ability to handle a language they probably rarely really use anyway.
>>
File: IMG_6791.jpg (88KB, 710x472px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6791.jpg
88KB, 710x472px
I've fallen in love with this doll but it says if I choose faceup it will be different than the stock photo... just how different do they mean? (This will be my first doll purchase btw)
>>
>>6069081
then don't get L bust size?
>>
File: DSCF6399.jpg (539KB, 968x1041px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6399.jpg
539KB, 968x1041px
OL-chan bought new clothes for the dork.

/toy/ gets to decide red or black.
>>
>>6070756
red, need some color in there
>>
>>6070756
Red, because he'll probably hate them more than black.
>>
File: 1464032517839.jpg (54KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1464032517839.jpg
54KB, 540x540px
>>6069367
>clean this item of all bodily fluids

What ?
Does she piss on her doll ?
>>
>>6070241
are you buying it from the company or is it a recast site?
>>
Anyone know anything about angels doll?
>>
>>6071141
Alice collections isn't recast right?
>>
File: DCBarbaraComparison.jpg (327KB, 940x750px) Image search: [Google]
DCBarbaraComparison.jpg
327KB, 940x750px
>>6071243
Nope, they are a legit dealer.

Can you copy what exactly it says underneath the listing?
They usually mean something like "because it's hand painted, there will be small differences", but in rare cases they truly mean "promotional look only".
And some companies just fuck you over (pic related).

>>6071145
I own their old 70cm body (not the massive one, the slim one), and it's the biggest piece of shit body I ever owned.
I only have it because it's so shitty and battered up by now that I won't ever be able to sell it, so it's my body for rolling heads and commission photos.
The posing is bad, resin quality is meh and after a few months in a dark room the resin already yellowed unevenly (my room is pretty much pitch black most of the time and all my other dolls have aged really well).
Granted it was a cheap body, but still.

They disappeared for a while and have been back for a year? now.
No clue if they changed.
>>
Where to purchase 1/3 office suits and sexy outfits, and skirts?

For interest and studies.
>>
>>6071546
The internet
>>
>>6071546
For really well made stuff, Freedom Teller.

Rest, anywhere else.
Realistic business chic for female dolls isn't widely available though.
>>
>>6070771
>>6069424
I'm fairly sure thats a running joke on several legends of the doll hobby. Obv some are true (>>6058804 that is for real vagina blood we oldies are not fucking with you) plus the whole hotglue Dollfie Dream stereotype, plus there's a sort of urban legend of a girl using a doll thigh as a dildo. Something big like a Hound or a Saint if I remember right.
>>
>>6071522

I'm sorry the place I saw the face up message on was mint on card or something like that? I just got them confused... BUT if Alice collections is trust worthy I'll for sure be buying this boy! Also wtf is with that photo you attached did a light company really do that?
>>
>>6072271
It was an EID dude (I mean, old Dollshe guys have sticks as legs), and it was a confession on TBC.
No clue how true this really is, but I've seen so much weird stuff and when guys can fuck 1000 bucks animu dolls I bet you have some girls masturbating with a huge resin thigh somewhere.

Does anyone remember that DoA thread of the guy who had his doll fell into the toilet?
When people asked him how the fuck that could happen he said she had brought her in to bath with her in the bathtub.
Still not sure if that guy was a troll or really didn't get why that wasn't a normal thing to happen (and why is answer didn't help at all).

>>6072291
That's indeed from a legit company.
It's a Doll Chateau, left is the company photo and right what someone received.
It's also definitely made by DC and not some cheap way to copy the default look.
Unfortunately DC does this all the time, but people never complain.
The owner of that doll never complained either...why are BJD people always so spineless?!
Especially because DC has reaaaally long wait times and isn't cheap either.

I just checked MoC for the listing of that doll and it says "Because make-up is hand painted, it may vary from images".
The usual disclaimer.

However, anon, please look up owner pictures before or try to find a picture of the doll blank.
DF-A dolls are pretty wonky and a lot can be hidden with nice photos/a good face-up.
I tried to find some pictures myself but so far there are none.
>>
>>6069696
If you want the aesthetics of FID, you can check out Raccoon Doll. I think the sculptor used to work at iplehouse? I'm not sure though.
>>
>>6072269
what about variety of high heels?
>>
>>6072647
If there's one easy to get type of shoes it's high heels, especially for SD16 sized girls.
Honestly, just check Taobao.
>>
>>6072496
>EID dude
First time I heard a variant of that story it was on the old Junkyspot chat room back around 2007-8 ish, which I think predates EID. There were some loonies in there so I honestly wouldn't be shocked.
>>
>>6073837
Jeez.
Have to admit, that's a wasteland I always avoided, but I'm not surprised to hear that this "masturbating with doll parts" thing has been going for so long.

To be honest, I doubt this can feel pleasant.
Resin is hard af, edges aren't always smooth, and it's probably a bitch to clean (even when you use a condom).
>>
File: knight.jpg (394KB, 750x2279px) Image search: [Google]
knight.jpg
394KB, 750x2279px
I want an husbando for my doll. I wanted to get her a manly ipple man, but now I feel like getting her a typical fuccboy doll, just because I have that huge armour fetish.
>>
File: DSCF6410.jpg (455KB, 718x1077px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6410.jpg
455KB, 718x1077px
>>6074268

>typical fuccboy doll
triggered
>>
File: DSCF6409.jpg (357KB, 718x1077px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6409.jpg
357KB, 718x1077px
>>
>>6074273
This knight doll really looks like an overgrown autistic little boy. You can't deny it.
Should I make my doll a creep that hunt underaged boys ?
>>
File: 1481880592891.jpg (267KB, 944x1016px) Image search: [Google]
1481880592891.jpg
267KB, 944x1016px
>>6074286
I thought iple made a HID Conan the barbarian? Maybe some fur and leather armor?
>>
>>6074310
It's really an impressive doll but I prefer regular knights. Barbarians are too sexy for me.
Ipple is really good with pseudo historical costums.
>>
>>6074268

I thought this was the girl doll.
Get her an Iple doll.
>>
>>6074268
Love the armor and wish they would sell it on its own, blank.

Cause the doll wearing it is pretty ugly, even for the new LUTS aesthetic.

Iple had a knight too once, but of course he was limited too.
>>
>>6074561
Or I buy the doll, and find a manlier head for it latter.
>>
Those Luts heads look so weird on the SDF65 bodies. Like a little kid head atop a big muscule-y man body. The armor is awesome though.
>>
>>6074268
So I bought this fuccboy doll.
I'm fully prepared to be raped by customs.

I'll probably hunt for a less underraged-looking head latter.
>>
>>6074631
It's limited, so surely somebody will want it.
>>
>>6074273
>>6074276
He looks so cute and snazzy! Good choice with the red.
>>
>>6071522
I hope they're good because I really want their girl Yul in tan but if the body is a piece of shit...That makes me nervous.
>>
>>6074268
I'm getting hard Lannister vibes. I think I need it.
>>
File: IMG_6862.jpg (282KB, 650x2170px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6862.jpg
282KB, 650x2170px
>>6074268
I'm digging this too
>>
File: dat gollum tho.jpg (382KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
dat gollum tho.jpg
382KB, 1280x960px
>>6070159
>Imagine how it's like as European to deal with an US person who barely manages a straight sentence in their own language.
Amerifag here-- yeah, it's embarrassing to watch native English speakers not even construct a comprehensive sentence. Props to those who are ESL.
>>6074317
Their outfits are fairly nice. If you can catch them on sale (which is rare) it's awesome. I had to snip a few stray threads on a brocade vest (it wasn't as bad as a Soom outfit I had that was similar-- ho man, was that a mess), but other than that, it was great. Their basic clothing is really well made.
>>
What do you anons think of Ringdoll Grown sculpts?
I love how unique and gorgeous the dolls look in the company photos. However, in every owner photo I've seen, the dolls look off. I can't put my finger on what or why they all look that way to me. Maybe because the owner pictures I've seen are poorly done but even in blank photos the sculpts look different.
>>
File: 01.jpg (46KB, 550x825px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
46KB, 550x825px
>>6076910
The blank head photos on the Ringdoll website pretty much killed every need I ever had for their dolls.
Pic related, blank Lucifer...those eyes are so bad, and lots of their heads suffer from that.
They are awfully wonky and the faces are pretty flat, even for anime-esque dolls.

Unless you paint the shit out of them/know what you do they will end up looking bad.
And the default face-up tends to look like shit compared to the face-up on the photos (which is often not that great either, but at least works on pictures).
Ringdoll just really knows how to hide their flaws, something like uneven eyes can be easily hidden just with the right face-up/angle for example.

Ringdoll also has good and interesting concepts.
Without them their dolls would be pretty much shit.
>>
>>6076920
Holy shit, their sculptor gave zero fucks about those eyes. This is what drives me crazy about Chinese companies. They will rush and chintz out on the sculpting, then take fancy photos, get a custom box, a metal head plate, a fancy certificate of authenticity. Dude, just take an extra week to fix the sculpting and fuck all that other stuff.
>>
File: turd.jpg (436KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
turd.jpg
436KB, 1280x720px
I have no idea why ringdoll charges so much for their blank dolls either. They have bad resin quality, thin casting, and poor posability.
I remember falling in love with Boyce ever since they released a tease picture on Facebook until I saw some owner photos.
My favorite aspect of the sculpt was the mouth area and in the teaser, and company photos the top lip looks bigger and puffier than it actually is. The shape of the face in general looks awful from the 3/4 view just like all of their other sculpts.
>>
>>6077045
Another picture for lip reference.
>>
>>6077045
The owner photo looks like a guy who would get his ass kicked in a Russian dashcam video.
>>
File: XmasGroup.jpg (657KB, 800x994px) Image search: [Google]
XmasGroup.jpg
657KB, 800x994px
Forgive lame owner shot, but wanted to ask if anyone knows an actual decent place to get ugly Christmas sweaters, preferably for larger dolls?
>>
>>6077427
Location?
Are you handy with a needle and thread?

Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Jo-anns are all craft stores in the US that have doll size ugly sweaters. I bought one and spent about an hour doing a few straight stitches by hand to make it fit my IOS Jade. He was not happy ...
>>
>>6077841
I'm in the US and handy with both, I just haven't had luck at finding bigger ones at those locations. Though I suppose wine bottle sweaters could be modified if their arms are wide enough?

I particularly want to dress an awkward middle sized doll--Soom Idealian 51 London--but I know that's not likely to happen. He'd just be great fun in a terrible sweater.
>>
I know this has probably been asked before but which companies do color matching for bodies? I want a tan head from a particular company but I dont like the body at all.
>>
>>6078508
Spiritdoll, Angell-Studio, Islanddoll, Impldoll, Resinsoul, Mirodoll.
I know there are more, but those are the ones I can come up with right now.

Chinese companies are usually more willing to offer this service, while companies who are busy enough/not very flexible don't accept it (like Iplehouse, Fairyland, Soom).
I bet there are a few that would do it if you ask them, but don't really advertise it.

Quality varies.
I know that Resinsoul isn't trying very hard to get a perfect match, while at least for me Islanddoll was the bomb.
>>
File: arms lel.png (1MB, 787x1176px) Image search: [Google]
arms lel.png
1MB, 787x1176px
Kinda makes me laugh every time I see it.
She doesn't want to accept valid criticisms, sorta shows she's fragile and egocentrically self centred.
>>
>>6079499
The short arms look ridiculous.
>>
>>6079514
At least she seems aware there is a problem there.
It doesn't look Kayke-bad ate all even with those T-Rex arms.
>>
>>6079612
Was thinking the same thing. Short arms aside, when I enlarged the thumbnail I was expecting a Kayke-level atrocity but that really is good for a firs time sculpt. Not that I'm going to buy one, but lord knows is a million times better than I would ever manage.
>>
>>6079618
same, but it's going to be super fucking ironic if her doll gets recast. A lot of people are saying they think her doll looks Fairylandish, but I think she looks more like a Lilycat doll. At least she's putting in more effort with the sanding and priming than Kayke did.
>>
>>6079662
>same, but it's going to be super fucking ironic if her doll gets recast
Why ? Is she a recaster ?

Did she do the head ? Because it's cute.
>>
>>6079499
Those fucking cankles. It looks like early stage elephantitis.
>>
>>6079499
is it bad i kinda like it
the limbs look bad but the entire torso is kinda cool
>>
File: Airelle.jpg (261KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Airelle.jpg
261KB, 576x1024px
>>6079618
Isn't she going for that Enaibi/Wakfu-ish look?
Which I must say I am perfectly fine with and encourage because the gods knows I'm never going to be able to get a frenchy original.
The arms don't even look that bad to me but I do stare at a lot of anime and cartoons.
>>
File: Cankles for days.jpg (357KB, 1283x936px) Image search: [Google]
Cankles for days.jpg
357KB, 1283x936px
>>6079897
Whoops I meant to quote >>6079662
Here's an example of Wakfu then. . .
>>
File: 351534543.jpg (94KB, 566x801px) Image search: [Google]
351534543.jpg
94KB, 566x801px
>>6079695
She actually got pretty popular with offering that Andreja aesthetic for cheap on recasts.
And yes, she's banned from DoA for posting recasts and without recasts she probably wouldn't be that popular nowadays.

She's known for lying and trying to "cute" herself out of unpleasant situations too.
Like, playing all "I am still so young and ~just human~, please forgive me for fucking up and lying constantly", while she has a business and took money from people well before she turned 18.
She posted recasts without labelling them as such, while trying to sell those dolls.
She posted a big ass apology post full of lies, and when people brought those up she deleted her post.

Apparently all her dolls are legit know, but I still doubt it.
Not to mention the fact her face-ups always looked like crusty shit, she has zero creativity and isn't always giving 100% for her customers.

>>6079499
However, her doll is honestly okay.
Way better than Kayke's, both aesthetically and because she didn't go the cheap "I sculpt everything 3D and let someone else do the joints" route too.

I also get a bigger Enaibi vibe (mostly because of the thick Wakfu aesthetic) from it, but honestly, I stopped caring about female artist dolls by now.
They are either the big hipped French type or the retarded artsy Russian anorexia look.
I also don't get why this is still a thing, like who sits down and thinks "you know, there are a million small titty/wide hips females already out there, I need to do my own!!!1"?
It's such a specific thing it's weird that it's now dominating so much.
>>
>>6079902
Iunno. Enaibi has longer arms and maintains an overall thick aesthetic. Culurs arms are too thin to be short, if they were both thick and short itd be more overall balanced, but as it stands now, it just comes off as jarringly disproportionate
>>
>>6079897

Seconded, I hope it turns out okay because fuck enaibis impossible to get bullshit. I wish Chinese companies would catch on to how in demand this look is a provide me with an acceptable cheapo in this style.
>>
>>6080263
Id make a doll in that style, with the cute large hands and feet.
But im wayy too lazy to deal with the whole "COPPYYCAATT" that would inevitably be thrown around
>>
File: sio2ragdoll.jpg (112KB, 604x869px) Image search: [Google]
sio2ragdoll.jpg
112KB, 604x869px
>>6080263
I kind of think SIO2 is trying to do shit similar to that, but they're still experimenting different types of bjd styles.

That reminds me, did that one anon who ordered the Ragdoll full set get her in yet?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482243811546.jpg (37KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482243811546.jpg
37KB, 504x504px
Preorders for these cuties start today and I'm pretty stoked
>>
>>6081119
I like their animal dolls but the human ones are too downsy for me.
>>
So what's the deal with rakeru sensei being banned from DOA?
>>
>>6081247
Got banned due to recasts. Apparently she sold off all her recasts by now, no clue if she's still pro-recast though.
>>
>>6080620
Oh my god, if I wasn't so broke I'd love one of these, she's so adorable!
>>
>>6078508
>>6078537
Adding: Ringdoll now offers it too!
>>
>>6074286
Autists don't have defining bone structure
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 480x679px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 480x679px
Are there such a thing as bjds of big bearish guys and/or cute old guys or is that way too niche of a subject and body type?
>>
>>6081178
That's funny if only because those aren't the only sculpts I've liked that have been described as downsy.

>>6081638
Niche as hell. People have tried to do old men with differing success. And sadly male dolls only come in super skinny or uber beefcake.
>>
>>6081638
Yeah, they usually turn out looking bad, like newborn baby-looking wrinkled. Most of the "old men" sculpts are on waifish bodies.
I think this is one of the better-customized ones, but it still looks off.

You could probably look into something like an Iplehouse HID and do some modding.
>>
>>6081638
I think if you were willing to have the body be plush/cloth type addition on a 'normal' body rather than one you could undress and photograph without clothes that could be doable
>>
>>6081638
Definitely need more bear dolls.
>>
>>6081958
Someone had started a project like that on doa years ago. No clue if they ever finished.if I'm remembering right it wasn't the best looking thing.
>>
>>6081929
That is actually the Souldoll mask that looked like an old man, they just gave it a fitting face-up.

I liked that Souldoll Miso someone paonted to look like an old, laughing granny but I'm on mobile and can't find the damn pic.
There also was that Zaoll (I think?) back on DoA that someone modded the shit out of, I remember them modding the body to look like a little flabby, old person too.

But else, old people are rare. Bodies that aren't young, trained and slim nearly impossible.
Even big, slim and non-muscled barely exists.
>>
noob doing my first face up here
is there anything super important I need to know (like don't paint with my blood or snort MSC)
I just bought 2 cans of the UV version for £19 and wanted to know what is in it and all it says is "resin (acryl), organic solvent water, pigment"
>>
>>6082707
THIN YOUR PAINTS
H
I
N

Y
O
U
R

P
A
I
N
T
S
>>
>>6082707
WEAR A MASK
E
A
R

A

M
A
S
K
>>
>>6082707
It's got enough toxic material to lay you out without proper respiratory protection, proper being a half face mask with organic vapor cartridges. You need the mask even if you spray outside. If you're wearing a mask and can smell it, you're inhaling it. Don't use it around pets. I don't use rattle can sealants anymore, but I still use a mask. Atomized pigments and varnishes will fuck you up if they settle in your lungs, no matter how non-toxic they are.

MSC is really weather sensitive, so avoid using it on rainy, hot, or humid days or it'll do all sorts of weird shit.

Don't be afraid to add new layers as you work. At the same time be mindful that too many layers will again cause it to do all sorts of weird shit. You're going to have to experiment to find what works for you, but the average I see is 15.

Also, don't paint with your blood.
>>
>>6082910
>tfw paint with my blood

I hate this hobby
>>
>>6082707
Don't forget, look at your shit in the mirror. Easiest way to find mistakes in symmetry.
>>
File: aax1.jpg (436KB, 2592x968px) Image search: [Google]
aax1.jpg
436KB, 2592x968px
>>
File: aax2.jpg (690KB, 2772x964px) Image search: [Google]
aax2.jpg
690KB, 2772x964px
somebody is about to get their new clothes taken from them.
>>
>>6083032
>>6083034

ok this made me kek
>>
File: ss34.jpg (398KB, 1658x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ss34.jpg
398KB, 1658x1080px
>>6083048
I kek'd when I thought of this for a photoshoot.

>inb4 Ryoma gets beaten up by the new guy, next thread.
>>
>>6082707
Don't paint with oil based stuff, or human make up.
>>
>>6081742
>And sadly male dolls only come in super skinny or uber beefcake.

Any idea what the uber beefcake ones are at least?

>>6081959
There was a guy I saw making a figure of a bear on flickr but itw asn't a BJD at all and I don't know if he ever finished. That's pretty mucha ll I've seen except stuff like He man which are uber beefcakes and just dumb figures too.
>>
>>6083372
Kek There's always Big Pepe. But he is an art doll.

The Beefy ones are usually from the Spiritdoll Herculean line, Iplehouse HID, Soom Idealian
It's not a full list, but some of the main ones that do beefier dudes.
>>
>>6083415
kek is right anon. I just don't even know where to begin with this.
>>
>>6083463
There are some exceptional pictures of him on flickr.
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/109625876@N05/11020671234
nsfw obviously
>>
>>6082910
What about colder days, since it's December? I probably won't be able to spray for a few months if that's the case. I found that masterpost of respirators and, from there, a recording of this person's rattly breathing, christ that was scary as fuck so I'm definitely buying one of those. Is that blood thing /really/ real? It sounds like an internet rumour to fuck with people
>>6082712
I'll be using watercolour pencil since it's easier, my hands tremble a lot but I getchu
>>6082968
Oh yeah, nothing worse than a wonky eye. My old hobby was digital art and nothing's worse than flipping your work and seeing it's shit. My mirrors suck so I used the mirror mode on my phone camera.
>>
>>6083626
Cold is not recommended either, but humidity is the biggest thing to worry about. The weather window for MSC is so fucking tiny it makes things hard to get done. Some of the other sealants are more flexible in its spraying conditions.
>>
>>6083626
>>6058804

It's real. Many moons ago, X_Kazakai_X did a zombie mod on a doll and admitted to using her own blood. She deleted the admission when the general consensus was that it was fucking disgusting.

Kazakai was a whirlwind of scams and drama on DoA for a few months before she was banned. Someone who had enough balls to contact the police got her dolls back in disgusting condition, and others warned her that they were a hepatitis risk.
>>
>>6083626

With watercolour pencils, you wanna do light thin layers and do a few layers. Don't try to get each lash done in one hit. They'll be grainy and terrible.
>>
>>6083032
Terminator.

16 weeks until they send me my new doll. Why is it so long. ;_;
>>
File: IMG_0378.jpg (192KB, 741x1086px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0378.jpg
192KB, 741x1086px
What's the deal with this woman? I think her dolls are decently cute but it seems like she's always in drama. I've followed her for a while now and always see her posting that she's going to delete or remake (and hasn't) or making super embarrassing rants about things people have said that she deletes later. Most recently she was throwing a fit over being banned from BJD Addicts I believe.

Her attitude honestly throws me off. She makes a big deal out of everything and clearly can't take criticism. It makes me worry about the kind of toxic household she's probably creating for her kid....
>>
>>6084439
She's one of those nuts that always has a victim complex. I follow her youtube channel for shits and giggles and she wants asspats for having a recast or being bullied or some other fake imaginary drama scenario she makes up in her head.
>>
File: hijk.jpg (299KB, 758x961px) Image search: [Google]
hijk.jpg
299KB, 758x961px
>>6084220
I supposed forging and smithing that doll-armor takes time on top of everything else.

Iple's hid barbarian would scoff at this terminator if they ever met.
>>
>>6084439
>Hello kitty everywhere
Clearly a nut case, crazy cat lady.
>>
File: IMG_0214.jpg (902KB, 2589x3452px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0214.jpg
902KB, 2589x3452px
>stupid fucking mobile posters.

Happy three days until Christmas /toy/!

Anyone getting any dolls for Christmas?
>>
>>6084439
Sadly there are a million worse parents out there and there's nothing you can really do. You should go to /r/raisedbynarcissists on Reddit, they've seen some shit.
>>
>>6085041
>That adorable L-bi
Anon it's already taking all my self control not to buy that adorable unoa boy off dollyteria, why do you gotta torture me like this?
Also, those stockings are precious.
>>
>>6084439
>6084439
I've done a few transactions with her, and she is awful to deal with. Never pays on time, always excuses, and just....greedy as hell - always asks for extras and stuff. It doesn't help that she writes like a dyslexic ten year old.
>>
>>6085041
cute pic but you really couldn't be arsed to dab some tape or something on him to get rid of all that hair clinging to his shirt?
>>
>>6085297
Do it! I got this guy for a steal on Dollyteria last January and don't regret it a bit.

>>6085330
I got caught up in diorama making. I will next time!
>>
>>6085041
Cute as shit. We need more cute boy pics that aren't Yosds.
>>
>>6084439
If she got banned from BJD Addicts she's unbanned now, that exact profile picture is on a post made within the past day. As much as I enjoy the group, there are a few people in there that give off that overly dramatic vibe.

>>6085041
That's super adorable, good job! Love the little stockings.
>>
>>6085041
Repeating but those stockings are adorable ;v;

I'm more buying shit for my dolls rather than actual dolls. 'Specially since I got two new dolls this year.
>>
File: chateau_bodyy07_05.jpg (55KB, 670x1055px) Image search: [Google]
chateau_bodyy07_05.jpg
55KB, 670x1055px
Everyone and their mother is on the centaur bandwagon now. At least the new DC one is sexy as hell.
>>
>>6085763
>tfw its 1.1k in my local currency
fuck I want it
>>
File: chateau_bodyy07_17.jpg (54KB, 670x1055px) Image search: [Google]
chateau_bodyy07_17.jpg
54KB, 670x1055px
>>6085849
Worth the aggressive fap desu!
>>
>>6085763
Looks more like ant or spider queen, insect like due to small abdomen.
>>
>>6085041
Cute L-bi!

I have four heads and two bodies on the way. I would have had four full dolls but I need to see how bobbly Leeke heads are with my own eyes before I choose a body.
>>
File: IMG_5820.png (398KB, 500x407px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5820.png
398KB, 500x407px
>>6085763
>>
>>6085763
>>6085913
>Hans Bellmer liked this post
>>
>>6085598
She said she got accused of having a recast and banned.
>>
>>6085763
>>6085913

61cm tall and still cheaper than the fairyland centaur. No excuse.
>>
File: mdl_DDSLen_p02.jpg (156KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
mdl_DDSLen_p02.jpg
156KB, 570x570px
Len is selling for around retail price atm. How long do you think this will last? Do you think he'll skyrocketed anytime soon? I can't afford him yet
>>
File: NOASS.jpg (38KB, 670x1055px) Image search: [Google]
NOASS.jpg
38KB, 670x1055px
>>6085913
DESU I just want the horse feet with no horse ass attached.
>>
>>6086599
People who don't have enough disposable income to buy a dollfie at any time might be too poor for this hobby.
>>
>>6086979
Most people are too poor for this hobby because the rabbit hole goes really deep.
>>
File: cancer.png (534KB, 602x603px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
534KB, 602x603px
>>6086881
I'm sure if you email DC directly and tell them you want a custom order of Y-body-06 body plus horse hooves they probably will do it.
>>
File: sousuiseiseki.jpg (172KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
sousuiseiseki.jpg
172KB, 427x640px
>>6085041
Dollshe sent out an e-mail saying my Bernard from the "NO REALLY GUYS THIS IS THE LAST SALE" should be sent out in February. kek I wasn't expecting him to be here before Christmas because of other anons' dealings with him, but I thought it was kind of funny that many of the people ordering Christmas dolls would be getting them before I will.

>>6086599
It depends. I'm sure Volks may release another uke fujobait DD in the near future, but who knows.

>>6086984
>>6086881
Yeah-- at least try this. The company does most of their direct orders through e-mail anyway and they have been known to be fairly flexible in the past.
>>
>>6086979
I have little interest in the hobby, I collect the character

>>6087049
I assume another male character release would keep Lens price down?
>>
>>6086599
Doubt it will rise that much, only if volks doesn't release the male body as a standalone (but they have been doing this for all the special features lately - flat chest, single torso, SW skin etc.)
His face is a bit generic so his popularity revolves mostly around his character and being the only boy in the school, if shota body was easier obtainable his value would drop
>>
File: D.jpg (170KB, 650x872px) Image search: [Google]
D.jpg
170KB, 650x872px
>>6086984
Uuuuurgh. Poor Dia. The sculpt is continually raped by shitty owners who keep turning it into some pierced edgy faggot cliche, moreso than any other sculpt I can think of.

Makes me enjoy my own dia more, I can just look at him to cleanse my mind of the tumblr clone horror show that is most dias.
>>
>>6087364
Gorgeous. It's nice to see a simple, natural faceup on such a great sculpt.
>>
File: D2.jpg (239KB, 750x1209px) Image search: [Google]
D2.jpg
239KB, 750x1209px
>>6087448
Thanks! Dia is a beautiful sculpt, which is why its so popular, but because it's popular every hapless cringey cheap fuck gets one (majority of them recasts, no doubt) and ruins it. Its the best sculpt Soom has ever put out, toeing the line between stylized and realism. I love my Dia, had it pretty much since the sculpt was first available to be bought on a boy body as a basic.
>>
>>6087482

>Its the best sculpt Soom has ever put out

Let's not go fucking crazy here, most popular sculpt sure but I much prefer amber to pouty lipped Dia thank you.
>>
>>6087486
Different strokes for different folks. Amber is too stylized for me, I prefer Dia because there is a sense of underlying bone structure in the face, It has more details than all their other dolls. The only other sculpts of theirs like this are Spinel and maybe Saiph.
>>
File: 30849693364_313225c9d2_z.jpg (144KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
30849693364_313225c9d2_z.jpg
144KB, 427x640px
>>6087364
He's lovely! I know I've seen him before but its just very refreshing to not see a garbage scene trash or 3edgy5me type face. Here is my guy, I try and keep him natural with a hint of guyliner haha.
>>
>>6087703
Thanks! Is yours a tan? I had the pleasure of painting two tan heads once, they were a really nice color. Yours looks like a dreaming one too, very nice. Kudos on joining me as one of the few natural looking Dia owners, I think we're decently rare. Its always either scene punk drag queen with tattoos and piercings, or long haired dramatic Sdink clone vampire.
>>
>>6087842
Yep he's in the tawny skin and he is indeed the romantic head. Eventually I would like to find an OE head for him, but his sleepy eyes grew on me so it's fine for now. I wish there was more versatility being done with so many sculpts, especially soom ones. They're all close to carbon copies of each other.
>>
>>6087482
What still baffles me is how this all happened with Dia.
Started out as a female head, Soom is lazy and releases pointy eared Dia (i.e. Sard), people realize they can get a cheap “Sard“ if they just buy a male Dia and boom.
Then have a few certain people buy and customize one and they are everywhere.
The head is so old by now, and people still buy him for their edgy emo boys.
>>
File: diadietre.jpg (38KB, 558x361px) Image search: [Google]
diadietre.jpg
38KB, 558x361px
>>6087975
I think its just because people see one really amazing one done in a certain style, then everyone goes nuts and copies it. In this case, I think it was Sdink first that made everyone want one, though she isn't the one that started the super faggy scene kid drag look. I think that might have been Soft Poison? That or hers is the first tattooed, crazy colored haired version I remember.

Anywho, for me, it was the moment I saw Dia, even as a female sculpt, that I wanted it as a boy. I got it because it reminded me of a certain male model I really liked. I made this photoshop side by side like, the week Dia came out. Its just a happy coincidence that they actually began to offer it as a boy. When I ordered it, you still had to make the request in the order comments and pay the extra difference between the girl and boy cost. I think shortly after I ordered it they began to offer it as a boy in a drop down menu or something.
>>
>>6087075
I think some people were wanting Len solely for his little manlet body. Some people are really obsessive over what's under the clothes, despite Len still not having any peen.

>>6087364
Dia is practically what El was back in 2005.

>>6087486
I really love Amber too. (I own two of them kek) But I actually really love Vesuvia/Garnet too for my resting bitchface dolls.
>>
>>6087127
This makes me feel great, thank you anon! Seems like I have plenty of time to save for him!

On that topic, have any of you purchased a doll (or doll item) when you probably shouldn't have?
>>
>>6088165
Yes, all the time, it's terrible.
I get in a circle of obsessive research when I find a new doll(fie dream)/head I'm interested in and then don't give up until I'm holding it in my hands. But unfortunately i have so little free time that I hardly ever get to play with them.

On a semi-related side-note, I'm currently waiting on a Len body I got for a steal and recently won a custom DDH-06 head for a great price. It looks very much like Len's, only without the annoying yellow eye-shadow (pic related). I wasn't happy with the clothes, so I saved myself a good 42k yen with this combo.
>>
>>6088165
I was only supposed to buy one doll this summer but during the wait time I bought 4 more dolls.
I don't regret my decision one bit. Now I only need one last doll to complete my collection.

>>6087364
>>6087482
>>6087703
Yes! More Dia love. Although my favourite Soom sculpt is Jethro the giant, Dia has a special place in my heart and your dias all look beautiful.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482622325364.jpg (66KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482622325364.jpg
66KB, 540x960px
Um. Definitely not Japanese.
>>
File: sdoigjsf.png (517KB, 484x703px) Image search: [Google]
sdoigjsf.png
517KB, 484x703px
>>6088687
LMFAO is that a Resinfoul?
>>
>>6088687
From the 'thanks baby I love you' I can only assume the doll was a gift and that both people involved are totally clueless.
>>
>>6088764
>>6088747
She knew what it was, she asked her bf to buy it for her. But yeah it's an RS bei I guess?
>>
File: ass.png (777KB, 732x731px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
777KB, 732x731px
My hoarding impulsive ass couldn't control itself and bought a doll. I keep thinking I'm done buying dolls but nope.
>>
File: wnIaRyJ.gif (133KB, 311x366px) Image search: [Google]
wnIaRyJ.gif
133KB, 311x366px
>>6089154
>white hair
>pink lashes
>dark brown brows
more offensive than whatever the fuck the rest is going on there
>>
File: asserthanass.png (759KB, 702x703px) Image search: [Google]
asserthanass.png
759KB, 702x703px
>>6089171
Since you love it so much, have some more.
>>
>>6089154
Where the fuck do you find this stuff? I feel like I'm missing out on so much by not having a Facebook or tumblr.
>>
>>6089262
>find doll size headphones
>put around neck of doll with bigass melon that the headphones would not fit over in any realm of possibility
anon why are you trying to kill me on christmas
>>
File: unoalucass.png (785KB, 727x725px) Image search: [Google]
unoalucass.png
785KB, 727x725px
>>6089351
I don't have facebook and tumblr either. I find these gems on Instagram and Etsy reviews. Sometimes even on Flickr.

>>6089405
Don't be so ungrateful anon. It's the best christmas gift one can receive. Makes you appreciate your collection and taste more. LOL
>>
>>6089262
It looks like it had a real faceup before they added glitter glue. What a mess.
>>
>>6089961
>Etsy reviews
Why didn't I think about that? The only people crazier than the people selling sock dresses are the people buying them. Of course! Thanks, anon. I'm going to entertain myself with shitty dolls for the rest of the night.
>>
If I just print patterns from doll fashion mags on A4 paper, will I have to do any resizing or are they originally about that size? Sorry if it's an idiot thing to ask.
>>
>>6090260
Honestly, that's going to depend on a few things. How the scanner sized the pattern, the size of the doll book, how your printer likes to do things. I always resize things in Photoshop (make sure to add a 1cm by 1cm square to measure after you print) myself just because I'd rather not have fifteen copies of the same pattern in slightly varying sizes.
>>
>>6090600
oh that's a great idea, thanks
>>
>>6089154
Fuck I hope this isn't what you bought.
>>
File: DSC_1661~2.jpg (486KB, 1211x2343px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1661~2.jpg
486KB, 1211x2343px
>>6091046
Oh no. I know I have a bad taste but not that bad. I got a DC boy Queena and it will definitely be kept a million miles away from any decora fairy-kei related thing.
>>
>>6090260
I think some resizing is probably needed. Most people just slam the book down on the scanner and scan the maximum area in one scan, which leaves out some of the page. You would need to know the average max width scan size of a flatbed scanner.
>>
File: 135454867413.jpg (136KB, 900x601px) Image search: [Google]
135454867413.jpg
136KB, 900x601px
Commissionable anons, I got a question.
How do you deal with a customer you just know will be a pain in the ass and can't be satisfied?

I want to open up slots again soon, but there are certain people I honestly don't ever want to work for.
Some I know are unplesant from other artists, some were a nightmare in the past (they usually were happy in the end, but I had stomach cramps and was stressed out to the max the whole time their stuff was here).
I can't just say straight to their face "you are a shit customer and I rather work with other people" or "last time you made my life a hell, find another artist to fuck up".
It's not even that I hate confrontation, I just don't want to give them fodder to post and complain about me/pulling me and my shop through the mud.

How do you tell people they suck as customer without fucking up your reputation?
I can only say "oops, sorry, slots are already taken" so many times before it gets obvious I avoid them.
>>
>>6092931
>I can only say "oops, sorry, slots are already taken" so many times before it gets obvious I avoid them.
it's still better than outright refusing, they can't trash your reputation if all evidence points to you just being busy. Who cares if they realize you're avoiding them, it's not like you owe them your skills or something.
>>
>>6092950
I know, but what should I say if they are the first to write me and slots are in fact still open?
I cannot claim to be “closed“ cause then the other customers won't contact me either.

It just sucks there's no easy way to tell assholes to fuck off without them turning around and posting about you.
Some aren't even bad people, or don't know how exhausting they are as customers, and won't get why they get a no from me.

It's just not worth that little money.
>>
>>6093068
>I cannot claim to be “closed“ cause then the other customers won't contact me either
out in the open say you have a queue, when they PM or mail you, either say you'll be free in a week for normal people or a long-ass time to deter the bad ones
>>
File: 27791564264_ee9023460c_o.jpg (311KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
27791564264_ee9023460c_o.jpg
311KB, 1000x1333px
>>6093085
Tried that.
Not joking, I have customers who gladly waited nearly two years for their slot because they were so fixated on getting me to paint a certain doll they own.
Some people don't care about waiting, especially when they own 30 dolls and have been in the hobby since ye olde times.

I will probably start with not making taken slots visible anymore.
In the past I had a visible list where people could see who has a slot with me right now and how many are still open.
Just need to find a way how to deal with DoA and the like, where you switch your thread tag to "Open".
>>
>>6092931
Is it possible to tell them something like "sorry, I don't think I have the ability/time to pull that off?" Instead of outright telling them to fuck off, put yourself down so they can't argue back.
>>
File: tumblr_lhtb4koc8C1qa340go1_500.jpg (79KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lhtb4koc8C1qa340go1_500.jpg
79KB, 500x333px
>>6093172
I did that a few times (and in some cases I was actually honest too), it's just difficult when they ask <that thing> from me which I am basically known for OR they want something that is easy af.

I'm kinda at the point now where I lose all options with some people. Which is the reason I made the post, cause I wanted to know if there's some permanent, easy and not damaging way to get an interested person off your back.
I tried dodging them, tried the "ooops no slot open anymore", tried playing the long waiting game or the "simply can't do that" answer; none of them work perfectly or permanently.
>>
>>6093211
I had this problem, and it was so bad I closed up shop and never reopened. It's just a shame how only a small percentage of really obnoxious customers can ruin it for everyone else.

I think I might try to open up faceups again later, but just as "artist choice" instead of custom work, and with a definite blacklist of people that are just not worth the misery.
>>
>>6093211
What do you charge? If you're good enough you can always raise your prices out of their range, as its usually the cheap assholes who are the hardest to work for. The better customers of mine were always the people who had money, some even told me I didn't charge enough after and paid me almost double, and another gifted me things. Rich people seem not to be as worried about faceups because I think they don't have that fear of wasting money, if they don't like the job you do, its no issue for them to just send the head off to someone else again to get it repainted.
>>
File: tumblr_mhth6m4DfG1s1z75yo1_.jpg (189KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhth6m4DfG1s1z75yo1_.jpg
189KB, 700x466px
>>6093543
Did that too.
Actually nearly doubled my prices and most of my services aren't even openly priced (i.e. "if you have to ask it's probably too expensive for you"). In some cases it's because it's hard to name a fixed price though, it just depends too much on the commission in question.

The ones that act like dicks are usually the "I pay ~premium~, so I'm entitled to get what I want" customers, even if they blow it out of proportion and don't get that some things aren't humanly possible and that just because they give me money I am not their slave.
And I'm not even THAT expensive, it's not like they pay 100+ for a regular face-up from me.

I actually had one customer that was incredibly picky about freckles.
They lost their shit because they didn't like a certain, single freckle in a whole mass of freckles.
In the end they were satisfied, but every time they ask me for a slot I just remember that bullshit again.
Another one demanded that their triplets should all have the same amount of hairs (i.e. lashes and eyebrow hairs) on both sides, and I paint a lot of hairs.
So it wasn't like Soom with five lashes on each side or something.
Then I have quite a few that I know have given hell to other artists for the smallest things and I honestly refuse to suffer through the same.
I am super picky myself and always give 100%, but some people are just crazy and are never satisfied.

I'm left with the very core assholes now, the ones that aren't scared away by prices or can be dodged anymore.

>>6093252
To be honest, I am less and less inclined to regularly open slots anymore.
I have enough nice former customers or friends that would like to commission me again.
On the other hand I'd like to give new people a chance and try out different things, but the risk of getting a shitty customer or attracting drama is just too high.

And people complain that more and more artists close their shop or refuse to accept new customers.
>>
>>6093657
>open commissions with no information made public, do it all over private message
>never respond to their messages
>>
With all due respect, why don't you guys just blacklist certain customers? They're paying you for a faceup, not so you can attend to their every want and need. If a customer gives you shit, you have every right to let them know that they are not welcome to purchase from you again. Illustration artists do it. Seamstresses do it. You guys should really do it, too. It's not fair to you. Fuck the other person's feelings. You've got the chats, screenshots, etc. if any drama decides to show up.
>>
>>6093805
> get to be known as the artists who ignores messages

I have a few who did that to me, for whatever reason, you bet your ass that whenever someone asks about them I mention that.
Like La Legende de Temps or Amadiz.
Communication is key.
If someone can't even bother to reply a simply message why should others think there won't be an issue when commissioning/buying from them?

>>6093813
It's honestly the whole drama part.
BJD people can be unpleasant to handle, the fact they think they are special for paying so much money and that often they don't get how shitty they are as customer makes for a bad mix.
It's best to avoid any drama, because else you end up as the hottest new topic on some confession blog where people don't care about proof.
And too many people, like the customer, are equally blind to their unpleasant behaviour.
They all think it's the right thing to do.

It got worse throughout the years.
People expect more and more from you and now have tools to easily fuck with your reputation if they don't get what they want.
>>
>>6094194
I like to add that many bjd collectors are also difficult because of the whole detailed character thing. The face needs to fit perfectly and looks like they envisioned their character, which is sometimes impossible to achieve. Meanwhile in other doll hobbies people buy finished customs and/or just want the doll to look pretty. Less pressure, way harder to fuck up.
>>
>>6094194
I know this is 4Chan and emoticons are frowned upon, but :( is all I have for that. I didn't even think about >>6094220 . I'm used to Pullip, Monster High, and Blythe customs where people will pay top dollar for a premade custom and make the character around that. Meanwhile in BJD land, people expect to be waited on like they're spending $5000 when they're really just spending $50. I really appreciate everything faceup artists do for the community. As a customer, you guys are fucking awesome, and I'd like to apologize for any shitty people you've had to deal with.
>>
>>6092931
There are certain artists who have 'only open to commissions from close friends' status where, of course, what close friend means is up to them and essentially is defined as 'customer I know isn't going to be a freaking asshole'.
>>
File: tumblr_mqr1b0QrGX1s8q9e5o1.jpg (92KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqr1b0QrGX1s8q9e5o1.jpg
92KB, 650x433px
>>6094220
>>6094308

Fuck, this.
While my shop was closed I actually dipped my toe into other doll communities.
There aren't many artists offering open commissions, you either buy their customs or are out of luck.
Granted it's harder to sell a custom because so many people realized it's a way to make money, but most of them aren't really skillful (especially with Blythe you have people who can carve well but can't paint for shit) and/or work on bootlegs.

I honestly get a more pleasant experience out of buying a Pullip MIO, painting it and then selling it.
You know the person who buys it 100% wants your work on it and you get more money too.
But I love working on BJDs, it's just that buying one just too paint and resell is way too expensive/risky.

>>6094358
I honestly feel like going this route more and more.
Or maybe I should make a list of dolls I'd like to paint and see who has the head and just wants it painted, without "but muh character" craziness attached to it.

I get it, my dolls also have very detailed characters, but guess why I started to paint myself.
If you have such a specific picture in mind it's impossible for someone else to nail it.
After all you only have some descriptions, maybe rough reference pictures.
Fuck, I now remember that post of the one face-up anon here who had the crazy customer with the bearded dude and the super flowery description.
>>
>>6094540
Hahah, that was me. The person with the super flowery beard description I turned down right off by saying that I felt that they wanted something very specific that I didn't believe I had the skills to live up to their vision. Which was true because I had only ever done ONE doll before with a beard.

Really, the easiest way to turn down someone when they give a description of what they want and you know its impossible, is just to outright say it. "I'm sorry but I don't feel that I am capable of meeting your needs." It lessens the blow because you're criticizing yourself. Pepper it with a bunch of apologies too. Anyway, what is what has worked for me in the past when people have asked for color matching / face tattoos or whatever. It also helps if they are asking for something that is only possible with a tool you don't have, like an airbrush. I've straight out told people, "To get the best results for what you want, it would need to be done with an airbrush, which I don't have. I don't want you to end up with an inferior product so I'm sorry but I think it best if I don't accept this commission. -insert other artists I've seen who uses airbrushes-"
>>
File: tumblr_lhef9p2m0G1qa340go1_500.jpg (130KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lhef9p2m0G1qa340go1_500.jpg
130KB, 426x640px
>>6094656
It's honestly those guys that just suck as customer, not the ones that want something I clearly can't do.
Those can be either brushed off or don't bother messaging me since I have most of the shit I can't/won't do clearly outlined in my thread.

But when annoying customer X asks me to do a simple natural face-up I have done a shitton of times I can't exactly say "sorry, lack the experience", when the honest answer would be "I could do that, just don't want to do it for you".
I wish it would be possible to outright tell people that they are hard to deal with as customer and too much of a perfectionist for me to handle.
I will try to heavily sugarcoat it in future like you said, just hoping they won't go the "but you are soooo good" route then.
>>
If these are questions that get asked here often, I apologise in advance, but I'm curious:

How much money have you spent in total on your collection?
What is the average price you pay for a doll?
What was the most/least you've ever paid for a doll?
How many dolls do you own?
How much do you usually pay for a faceup?
What brands/makers are your favourites and least favourites?
>>
>>6094914
>How much money have you spent in total on your collection?
Over $5,000
>What is the average price you pay for a doll?
It varies from a few hundred to just under $2,000
>What was the most/least you've ever paid for a doll?
Least $300, most $1,800
>How many dolls do you own?
>How much do you usually pay for a faceup?
All default/limited models for me. Never commissioned.
>What brands/makers are your favourites and least favourites?
Volks is my favorite (for the Dollfie Dreams, not a giant fan of their resin dolls but they are nice too). I like DZ/DC for the risks they take, as well as Loongsoul. Asthetically, Luts is probably my favorite resin company. As for least favorite? There are too many shitty Chinese companies to name. Probably Resinsoul, since the worst people in the BJD hobby tend to own 20 Resinsouls.

As far as clothing goes: Volks all the way. You get what you pay for - high quality clothing comes at a high price tag. Crobidoll and Leeke's Art Wigs are my favorite for wigs.
>>
File: tumblr_meelahM5eC1rwin5jo1_500.jpg (116KB, 490x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_meelahM5eC1rwin5jo1_500.jpg
116KB, 490x750px
>>6094914
...I...I honestly don't know.
I mostly collect SD+ dolls, my dolls all wear expensive stuff too (i.e. custom angora wigs, urethane eyes etc.).
At this point I am sure I have already passed the 10000$ mark (incl. shit I sold again, but I've been in the hobby since 2008 too).
I don't buy/sell dolls often though.

I'd say on average it's something between 500-600$ for a blank doll, I managed to make some really good deals just with being patient and willing to wait, that lowers the average a lot.

Full doll, my Iple EID guy was nearly 900$ due their CDS fee and the dark skintone.
Cheapest was probably that one DZ critter I own (~100$).
Heads are a different thing; 600$ for a Volks head, 80$ for a mint, legit Soom Heliot head through pure luck.

16 full dolls, 2 rolling heads, one rolling body (yeah) + two heads that will never get a body.
On top of that I have a Pure Neemo and six Blythe.

Nothing, paint them myself.

Granado, Iplehouse, Volks, LLT, classic Soom (only a few faces though) and some of the head artists like Edelweiss, Nabarro, ChrisNoel. DZ/DC is cool for some of their creations, but their faces suck.
For the rest, Freedom Teller, Oscar, Dollflower, Enchanted (only their Unique pairs though), Cadenza, Nalisinko, AyuAna, Sadol, Rocking Horse, Tous le Garcons.

Least favourite are goofy looking companies like Miro, AoD, Resinsoul, DOD due their aesthetic and Dollshe/Fairyland for the way they handle business/their customers.
>>
File: 189mm.jpg (67KB, 580x580px) Image search: [Google]
189mm.jpg
67KB, 580x580px
May I ask what this sculpt is? And why is it so hideously crooked?
>>
>>6095123
It's a Volks, but I can't say which face (they honestly have too much and too many of them look alike).
>>
>>6094914
$10k+ easily if I include clothing and wigs.
Average? Hard to say, between $600 and $2000, mostly on the lower end of the scale so maybe $8-900.
Most $2000, least $600
Most of my dolls are limited, but I've paid from $50 up to $300.
I only own Volks dolls (both SD and DD) but I like the Fairyland (FeePle) and Iplehouse aesthetics as well.
>>
>>6058659

I would say at least 10k. I only collect SD
About 600-900. I buy mostly 2nd hand.
Least: $260 (elfdoll/mystic kids hybrid) Most: $900 (Iplehouse Eric in RS)
12 full and 4 rolling heads that are getting bodies soon. But many more plans.
I don't. I do it myself.
Faves: Migidoll, Supiadoll, Ringdoll, Soom and probably kanadoll. Not Faves: a lot of cheap Chinese companies with wonky head sculpts, luts (unpopular opinion), iplehouse bodies and prices, and I'm sure there are a lot more.
>>
>>6095123
Maybe volks bianca or gosick?
>>
>>6094914
15,000+ USD
$1000 on average
$2500 / $650
Never paid for one.
Good brands- Volks, Iplehouse
H8 brands- "Made in china" and ebay brands
>>
File: 1462373547056.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1462373547056.gif
3MB, 640x360px
>mfw I've always known I was a cheapass but this thread really puts it into perspective

About $750.
Just under $200, it seems.
$240 (DZ/Sadol Hybrid)/$160 (DiM closing sale)
4, all MSDs. Plenty more to come.
$50
I'm a fan of the Volks aesthetic (large eyes, tiny nose, how kawaiiuguu can it get before it's basically a DD) so I admire any company with that style. I'm also madly in love with the Switch, Little Rebel, and Ramcube boys but SDs are too damn tall for me. For least favorite, apart from the quintessential cheap Chinese company, I can't stand companies who charge premium but can't be arsed with quality control. I'm looking at you, Fairyland.
>>
>>6094914
Im definitely over the 5K mark, but I cant be sure I'm at the 10K mark. One of my new years resolutions is to track my doll spending so I know if I need to cut back.

Im willing to spend anything on a doll i like. But for actual purchases, I think my median doll cost is about 400-500. I buy a lot of the small dragons from Aileen doll do they bring that median down a bit.

What was the most/least you've ever paid for a doll?
> I've gotten 2 dolls for free, one as a prize in my local community and one in a giveaway. Least I paid for is 140. The most is about 700.

How many dolls do you own?
> 10

How much do you usually pay for a faceup?
> 0. I do all my own custom work.

What brands/makers are your favourites and least favourites?
> I like Aileen Doll for their tiny dragons. Iplehouse for their SDs. I have a few pairs of ooak Mystics which are my favourite eyes that I own. Freedom teller for clothes. Iplehouse for clothes. I want some DollBakery eyes coz they look lovely. A few Frappzilla wigs. I only consistently buy from brands I like.
>>
File: edg.jpg (474KB, 750x2270px) Image search: [Google]
edg.jpg
474KB, 750x2270px
Finally the knight fukkboy is also available with a new make up that makes it looks less underraged.

The wig is sill boyish and weird.
Is it possible to do something with the wig to arrange it ?
>>
>>6096330
Naw, it's your general short male bob fiber wig.
Nothing you can do to style it, that look is pretty much fixed.
>>
>>6096330
now looks like a handsome onee-san instead of an innocent girl
>>
>>6096387
I think before he looked a little like the prince that needs to be guarded (or maybe the knight's squire), now he actually looks like the knight himself.
Even if it's a Shojo Manga Bishi knight.
>>
>>6096330
A combination of water and water soluble PVA glue can be used to style slight spikes and make it less... poofy. and girlish.
>>
>>6096423
Regular hair products would damage it ?
>>
>>6096432
Dunno desu. Look into the stuff used for cosplay wigs, like Got2Be, that works fine on synthetics.
>>
>>6096432
More of a concern about causing damage to the doll than the wig itself.

>>6096373
Agree with this. Thus far, Crobi has the best "short male" wigs I've seen on the market. Wigs that have cuts that lay very tight to the scalp and don't have that awful rat rail thing so many short BJD wigs have.
>>
File: tumblr_kxv20tzVbk1qa340go1_500.jpg (69KB, 455x700px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kxv20tzVbk1qa340go1_500.jpg
69KB, 455x700px
>>6096432
Face-ups and co. don't like regular hair products.
Friend of mine once used regular human products on a wig and it smeared away the face-up underneath, some of it made the MSC turn bright yellow.
If you style the wig, better don't do it straight on the doll.
Styled wigs tend to attract dust though and when done badly it just looks greasy.

I personally don't like the look of styled wigs (I prefer natural fibers anyway), so if you want a certain style better find a wig that already looks the right way.
>>
File: 12.jpg (554KB, 650x930px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
554KB, 650x930px
>>6094914
Around $3500 and some $600 on additional clothes etc.
$200-300 (because I'm searcjomg Y!J and Mandarake tirelessly like a hound)
$420/$190
13 (3 of which are on their way)
I usually get custom heads for which I limit my budget to $120 a piece. But I've gotten them for as little as $30 and $40.
Favorite: Dollfie Dreams for Vinyl and Luts for resin.
>>
>>6094540
>Or maybe I should make a list of dolls I'd like to paint and see who has the head and just wants it painted
I've noticed quite a few artists now do this sometimes give a small (like $5) discount if you leave it up to them to decide how to paint it after giving some charactery details, such as what expression you want them to have and the color of their wig, etc.

I've done this before with a well known artist and it turned out really well. However, I'm not one of those super picky anal-retentive people either.

It simplifies the process a lot, but there are still so many out there with muh special snowflake dolls.

>>6094914
Well, I've bought and sold a lot over the past 13 years, so I really have no idea.
Probably $500ish
Well, I bought an AiDoll as a gift for someone, so that was $20.00 at Tuesday Morning. My most expensive one was mostly due to having to buy the doll in pieces and hybrid-- pretty sure it ended up being about $1200 in the end.
20 + 4 floating heads + 1 on order
$60ish
My collection is heavily Volks and Soom, but I have a variety.

>>6095123
I want to say Volks F-15. Most of their early sculpts were wonky as fuck, which is why most of them go very cheap on Yahoo!Japan Auctions/Mandarake. It looks like a 4 Sisters sculpt (Kira/Sara/Nana/Whatever the other one was) or the Show/Syo sculpt. Maybe it's even Cyndy, but judging by how fresh it looks, I doubt it.
>>
Has any of you anons had a doll or seen a sculpt where you thought looks better without eyes or wig or faceup or any other customization aspect that is "mandatory"?
>>
>>6096432
Water based products may be safe, but it's a tricky one to say for sure. Many have oils and protein builders which obviously are unneeded and often damaging for plastics. I know Volks sells their "water wax" which is a pomade type hair glue and is likely a repackaged human product just like their wig spray. Personally I wouldn't use pva/white glue unless you're after something really stiffly styled though (like 90s anime hair).
>>
>>6094914
I... don't like to think about this.
I try not to spend more than $400 on just the doll itself anymore, so ~300 usually.
Most 700, 100 for the least.
Currently own 5 full dolls, one unstrung/project, 1 body awaiting the order of its head.
Tbh I've never spent more than $30 (back in the day mediocre artists would offer free faceups to get practice and I was a broke kid) but the next artist I have picked will probably cost around $50.
For dolls, I love Unoa and I'm a sucker for fairylands cute aesthetic and pretty bodies. Clothes are mostly whatever I find on the secondhand market that I like, I guess foxybrowny would be my favorite.
>>
this poor doll....
>>
File: diadoodoo.png (460KB, 790x705px) Image search: [Google]
diadoodoo.png
460KB, 790x705px
>>6098403
oh no...What even happened here? Did they soak the doll in a septic tank?
>>
>>6098403
>>6098629
Doll was dyed by owner, fucked up, tried to save it, sent it to artist, artist cleaned it more, dyed it again...just to look still shitty.
>>
>>6098403
the finished product has a very creepy feel, kinda.
Try selling it as a cursed doll on ebay and see what happens
>>
File: qwe.png (992KB, 684x676px) Image search: [Google]
qwe.png
992KB, 684x676px
>>6098798
LOL Don't forget to write a shitty creepypasta to go with it.
>>
>>6098832

That dolls torso looks so fucking dislocated in the middle pic it's totally ruining the shot.
>>
File: received_10211747271017190.jpg (220KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211747271017190.jpg
220KB, 1280x1707px
>>6098403
Speaking of shitty dye jobs...
>>
File: IMG_20161230_105259.jpg (160KB, 732x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161230_105259.jpg
160KB, 732x960px
>>
>>6098965
Oh sweet fuck did they use a sharpie on them? Those poor dolls...
>>
>>6098979
I know this person has commissioned pintsizedpalace so probably
>>
>>6094914

Around $3500 on dolls, and around $2500 on clothes, accessories and other things.
~$400
Most was $650. Least for an SD was $280
7 Full SDs, 2 YoSDs, 3 floating SD heads.
I do most of my own faceups, but when I get work done, it's usually about $80.
I'm really into artist dolls and have a lot of those in my collection. For bigger companies, I love Granado, Supia, and even Impldoll which people think is cheap shit.
I'm not into certain companies that are really popular, but more because of their business practices than because of their work.
>>
File: 1330-86.jpg (401KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
1330-86.jpg
401KB, 1200x801px
found
>>
File: woah.jpg (172KB, 1016x490px) Image search: [Google]
woah.jpg
172KB, 1016x490px
Someone on BJD Addicts received a Dollzone Tarot: The Star recently, and holy crap that is the WORST doll arrival damage I've ever seen! Imagine waiting seven months and opening the package to see that, that's just wrong. She's already emailed the company and whatnot; it would have to be a refund instead of repairs at this point, since just about every piece is either broken, stained or warped. Dollzone nor the dealer that she ordered from has had a chance to reply yet, but hopefully they'll try to fix the mess.

Hopefully the picture uploads ok, she did a really good breakdown on what the damage is exactly so I wanted to include it.
>>
File: hnnnng.png (742KB, 688x734px) Image search: [Google]
hnnnng.png
742KB, 688x734px
>>6099189
Wow that's pretty bad. Probably customs fucked it up. I remember my only doll that was stuck in customs arrived pretty shittacular with a lot of black handprint/gloveprint stains, cut up box and overall a pretty bad rewrapping. but thankfully it wasn't broken. Dollzone/chateau has pretty good quality control and customer service so I doubt it was their part. Especially since every other tarot doll I've seen arrived beautifully.
>>
>>6098965
Oh look it's that mental cunt that threatened to punch "the haters" who questioned if her friend's doll is a recast.
>>
>>6098403
Kinda reminds me of like a terracotta sculpture.
>>
>>6099189
oh nevermind I take back what I said at >>6099249
i read the post again and it has warping and gunk that has nothing to do with the shipment route.
>>
File: lendollfiewig.png (266KB, 684x318px) Image search: [Google]
lendollfiewig.png
266KB, 684x318px
I'm hopefully going to get the Len dollfie sometime this year, and it will be my first doll. How easy do you think it would be to style the fringe more accurately to the character? The default wig style is completely flat! Obviously I don't care about getting it perfect, but adding some volume in would be great.

Would I be better off buying a new wig instead?
>>
File: sadj.png (1MB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
sadj.png
1MB, 1024x679px
>>6098947
The dude usually takes good picture. I don't know what he was thinking when he took the shot of that unflattering pose.
>>
>>6099304
Probably very hard to pull off.
It would look really bad if executed poorly.
>>
>>6099312
Would even adding a few upward flicks at all be difficult? I'm fairly experienced with human hair, if that is transferable at all
>>
File: 3345.jpg (32KB, 409x302px) Image search: [Google]
3345.jpg
32KB, 409x302px
>>6099314
I'd say, imaging pic related with 10 upward flicks instead of just 1.
I believe you will have a problem with hair density at the base of the wig.
>>
File: vocaloid-kagamine-len-cosplay.jpg (137KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
vocaloid-kagamine-len-cosplay.jpg
137KB, 650x434px
>>6099304
Just imagine a tiny cosplay wig. Actually, the water+pva thing mentioned earlier might be good for this.
>>
File: he(2564).jpg (464KB, 750x2815px) Image search: [Google]
he(2564).jpg
464KB, 750x2815px
Does anyone know of any cute bear themed BJDs?
>>
File: IMG_20161231_122132.png (1MB, 1050x1052px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161231_122132.png
1MB, 1050x1052px
>>6099834
Soom, Sseiren, Asleep Eidolon, Cocotribe, Goodreau and there is a company who made a teddy bear looking one I saw at LDoll.
Company is called “Damzafield“ I think.
Pic related.
>>
>>6099189
Damasquerade always kinda pissed me off but damn i feel bad for her, that's one of the most fucked-on-arrival dolls I've ever seen
>>
>>6099189
I had a DC (DZ's sister company) come in with a cracked neck because they string everything so fucking tight. Their wait times are pretty frustrating too. Nothing was ever as bad as this, though.

I know Damasquerade lives in Aus and it's technically summer there, so not only the mishandling bit by postal workers, but heat may have a factor too. IIRC, her Migma had wing problems because of insane Aus heat too.
>>
>>6099361
Are there any actual guides to the PVA+water method? I assume just apply the PVA at the root?
>>
>>6100167
I think kleincrew was one of the people who actually mentioned it on her Tumblr back then.
You basically mix PVA with water, take some between your fingers and then apply and use it like you would use regular hair wax or gel,

Ha, found a reblog of the post, but kleincrew used pure glue:
http://resinlings.tumblr.com/post/68728664761/how-to-fix-wigs

I honestly only would use it on wigs you don't really like and, as usual, not while the wig is on the doll's head.
Let it dry very well too, make sure it doesn't get wet.
>>
>NEW THREAD
>>6100493
>>6100493
>>6100493
>NEW THREAD

Sorry for the shitty recap, my brain freezed a little.
>>
>>6098959
Can't you fuckin buy those in dark resin
>>
>>6086881
same
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 109

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.