[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /toy/ ever buy figures of characters from franchises they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 22

File: image.jpg (37KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
Does /toy/ ever buy figures of characters from franchises they know nothing about?
>>
My first /toy/ related purchase as an adult consisted of three Gundam kits despite having never watched any of the shows. They were on clearance and I'd wanted to dabble in building models for a long time.
>>
Yeah but then I learn about it
It's like being a kid all over again, but now I have the Internet to find out what a cool mystery toy is instead of just wondering about it
>>
Yes, quite often. Some of my guys are gateways to get into the source material.
>>
File: 1480604118738.jpg (719KB, 2204x2866px) Image search: [Google]
1480604118738.jpg
719KB, 2204x2866px
>>6048440
All the time. About to do it again very soon
>>
File: NOTHIN' AT ALL.jpg (94KB, 585x1040px) Image search: [Google]
NOTHIN' AT ALL.jpg
94KB, 585x1040px
>>6048440
Yeah, with pretty mixed results. I bought some evangelion stuff before I had seen the show, and I ended up really liking it when I got around to it. Same with marvel, the legends line puts out some obscure ass characters that got me to read some great comics. On the other hand I got some of the DBZ figuarts and found the show to be impossible to get into.

So yeah, when I discover something new and fun off of a toy it's great. When the material doesn't grasp me though, it sort of makes me resent the toy, no matter how good it is. I try to avoid doing it nowadays unless it's something highly recommended.
>>
>>6048440
Very rarely, but when a design screams "cool factor" to me, I might take the plunge. It's resulted in me falling in love with shows like Fireball. However, there's the very, very rare instance where there's literally one thing I like about a design and the figure is dirt cheap enough for me to justify the purchase.
>>
>>6048440
Nope. I only buy toys from franchises I like the most, or the franchises I like that have them, at least.
>>
>>6048440
I bought the all the Ninninger mecha even though I haven't watched a single episode of it. Same goes for most of the other Sentai series.
>>
I've never read a Deadpool comic or seen the movie, but I bought 12 of the recent MLs off of amazon when they were $20 and have made about $300 in profit scalping them with no effort. Start to finish I clicked maybe 50 keys on my keyboard ordering them and putting up ebay listings, and spent 8 minutes total packing all of them for shipping. Amazon delivered them to my door, USPS delivered free flat rate boxes to my door, and USPS picked the outgoing packages up at my door.

Now, Deadpool is my favorite Marvel character, hahaha. I have 6 more on the way.
>>
File: king gainer 2.jpg (163KB, 600x1031px) Image search: [Google]
king gainer 2.jpg
163KB, 600x1031px
Yes.

Half my purchases are of unknowns things that i may or may not know or don't even care to know about.
Cool designs are cool.
>>
File: 1466977256158.jpg (10KB, 358x422px) Image search: [Google]
1466977256158.jpg
10KB, 358x422px
There ain't nothing wrong with buying something because you like the design.

Heres the thing though, If I buy because I like the design, I make sure it's not an impulse buy. That is almost gaurunteed buyers remorse and thats a feeling I'd rather avoid.

I sat on whether or not I'd buy drossel for months. and by the time I decided I actually wanted her, enough time had passed to the point where I know it wasn't just me throwing money away at an impulse personal flavor of the month.

I really don't wanna end up like the poor fucks in BST selling off heaps of toys because my feeling for them passed.
>>
File: Siona1476942934.jpg (77KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
Siona1476942934.jpg
77KB, 650x800px
>>6048440
Kamen Rider but I've been slowly watching the series.
>>
>>6048440
I know very little of Kamen Rider, but I marvel at the "Kamen Rider Zangetsu from the Gaim S.I.C line" that's the current OP of the Toku General thread.

There are more than a few figures that I've come close to buying without knowing the source material, but I've yet to go through with any of them until I get a new job.

For now it's all just what I budgeted for characters and series that I already know. I have the spare cash to go outside that boundary, but figures can usually be found after release.
>>
>>6048440
If I see a figure that looks cool, I'll always go check out the thing it's from before buying it. There's really no excuse not to, with the internet giving you immediate access to all media ever made.
>>
>>6049266
Just got my CJ last night. Really need to buy the wind effects, now. Look so good.
>>
File: 9472-44754-thickbox.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
9472-44754-thickbox.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
Yes. I bought pic related because I thought she was cute and I missed the Figma. But usually it's just stuff I know like TransFormers or Batman.
>>
>>6048440
I watch anime based off of cute designs of figures
>>
>>6049266
I've always thought they look neat, but after watching the show it kinda turned me off from it. I mean, its not bad by any means, but it just wasn't my thing. Basically a less shitty power rangers. I don't really understand the appeal, lol.

Designs are still badass, though.
>>
>>6048440
I'm not very into anime, so usually I'd buy the figure and then try watching the series. I bought a cu-poche and loved it and then decided to buy Kirino despite knowing nothing about the series she came from. Same thing happened with the Cardcaptor Sakura figuarts I got.
>>
>>6048440
I want to buy pic related, but know nothing about Monster Hunter.

I just really fucking love how it looks. Still kind of waiting around for more reviews before pulling the trigger.
>>
>>6049286
>If I see a figure that looks cool, I'll always go check out the thing it's from before buying it.

This.

And then if I don't like the character I don't buy it.

I like buying toys of characters I care about, not just cool looking things.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: BlackSwordsmanDiroama1.jpg (101KB, 595x464px) Image search: [Google]
BlackSwordsmanDiroama1.jpg
101KB, 595x464px
I bought the bloody variant of pic related LONG before I ever heard of Berserk the Anime or the Comic (also got green cape Hawk Guts as well, and didn't realize they were the same character until after I saw the show).

I bought some Queen's Blade Revoltechs before ever watching the series. I then watched the series, disliked it immensely and then bought more QB figures because some of the designs are really cool.

I bought this badass blue robot figure with tons of weapons from a series I still don't even know the name of. But the robot came with a giant spear/glaive thing, a straight sword, a boomerang sword, a small gun a MASSIVE rifle cannon thing. I don't know the first thing about this robot or the series it's from, but I do know it's absolutely badass.

I have both Neca Nova and Arthras despite never playing a Blizzard game for longer then an hour.

I could go on, but I have tons of figures from tons of series, shows, anime and games that I don't give a flying crap about. But as long as the toy looks cool and is fun to play with, I'll enjoy the hell out of it.
>>
>>6049352
>>6049385
I do this a lot. I watched Girls und Panzer after seeing the Nendoroid tanks and ended up enjoying it, will probably get the T-34 at some point.

The only exception I have is the 2014 Mirai racing Miku, I don't really know much about Vocaloid stuff but her design is nice and she was on offer.
>>
>>6048440
I bought a Prison Lex Luthor for 5 bucks at walmart

and i've never seen the movie[spoiler]luckily[/spoiler]
>>
>>6048440
Hibiki Tachibana. is the anime good? i STILL dont know!
>>
>>6048440
see
>>6048447
>>6048448

Honestly the majority of m toys are things I do care about beforehand, but whenever I buy something that I don't know about I make an effort to learn about it.
>>
>>6048440
I too buy Gundam figures, even though I barely know anything about the suits themselves or watch the anime.

Nothing wrong with it at all, as long as you don't try to act like a know it all about the subject and then get stuff wrong. I say that because I've seen a certain youtube channel do that in reviews and then play it off like they just forgot (even though they do it constantly).
>>
>>6048440
No. I have to have watched the movie/tv series or played the game that a figure is from before I will purchase it.
>>
>>6048440
>buy figures of characters from franchises they know nothing about

This is completely disgusting.
>>
I thought I didn't but then I remembered my Gunpla

I have never watched a single gundam show
>>
The only reason you should ever do this is to get a BAF piece.
>>
>>6049448
Good news is that it's just a generic girl whose dress, weapons and gimmicks remind of one MH monster.

She's not an actual character in the game.

So go ahead and buy it, it's the perfect kind of figure you don't have to know shit about.
>>
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (878KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
878KB, 4032x3024px
Not exactly the same thing, but I bought this guy even though I'm pretty confident the movie's going to be mediocre at best. He's just a spiffy looking robot.
>>
File: FIGURE-026248_03.jpg (85KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-026248_03.jpg
85KB, 650x800px
Thinking about getting pic related but I don't care for Vocaloid.
>>
File: Psycho Jew Shah Rubber Gundams.jpg (80KB, 490x359px) Image search: [Google]
Psycho Jew Shah Rubber Gundams.jpg
80KB, 490x359px
I got pic related just because they were cool pseudo-Transformers and I was tired of Beast Wars.
>>
>>6051608
I always wanted this statue but could never afford it. I'm not a fan of the music, I just think this has a really cool design.
>>
I only buy stuff that I know. But that doesn't mean I don't visit all the threads here to find cool stuff. I'll watch whatever's being advertised before buying the merchandise.
>>
Only time I did was with this guy (*wouldn't be entirely correct because I did watch the movie before purchasing, but I don't give much of a shit about Seiya as a whole. Couldn't get into it).

Seeing how shiny and handsome he is, I wanted this faggot on my desk.

>>6048739
Cool as fuck.
>>
>>6048452
Is that Titty Monster Guyver 2? I got the original Max Factory Guyver 1 and 3 figures, but missed out on Male 2.

Also my Guyver 1's elbow joint crumbled one day. Still waiting for it to regenerate.
>>
File: Mission1_3.jpg (367KB, 1180x885px) Image search: [Google]
Mission1_3.jpg
367KB, 1180x885px
Sometimes.
>>
I'm tempted to buy some SoC from shows I have never seen before, just because some of the designs look great.
>>
>>6048440
I really want Destiny Megabloks but I don't know if it's worth getting into the Lego craze
>>
>>6048440
I bought the robot damashii knights of sidonia mech just because it looked nice. Watched a bit of the anime after owning the figure and it sucks but still nice figure. Also got a gundam but know nothing about that series.
>>
>>6049383
Kamen Rider started leaning more towards selling toys than making good shows as of late. If you want a good show, watch some early Heisei ones like Kuuga or Agito.
>>
>>6053463
>Drive
>not the best of any of the periods

Kuuga's good and all but it's very dry
>>
>>6050653
>not just ebaying the BAF piece
>enjoys being a literal clusterfuck hoarder collector
I will never understand this mental disorder.
>>
>>6053467
Never seen Drive. I know later Heisei had its good ones, notably Gaim. But overall, the whole franchise has gotten a lot more kiddish. I just prefer the earlier ones.
>>
>>6053490
There's also Amazons.
>>
>>6053520
Yea, that too.
>>
>>6048440
I thought all Figma / S.H. Figuarts collectors did this?
>>
>>6053633

I own 80 figmas and 22 figuarts and not a single one of them is from a franchise I haven't watched/played/read beforehand, so no.
>>
A big chunk of my collection is shinkis and frame arms girls.

Shinkis didnt have a source worth mentioning until the toyline was already dead, and frame arms girls dont have one either.
>>
>>6053646
>80 Figmas

consisting of?
>>
>>6053203
Yeah the new figma. Purple is exclusive though, but imo it looks much better than the pink.
>>
File: hardballer2.jpg (44KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
hardballer2.jpg
44KB, 960x640px
Never played the Lost Planet games, but i decided to put down $200 for this the other week.
>>
>>6048440
I usually have at least anxillary awareness. Closest to "nothing" is probably the MGS2 Figmas since I haven't played a Metal Gear game since the NES one.
>>
File: figma checklist.png (4MB, 1294x2732px) Image search: [Google]
figma checklist.png
4MB, 1294x2732px
>>6053950

Pic related. I actually own 77 different ones plus two spares right now.
>>
>>6054538
>all this FotM moe crap
Jesus. Never doubt the buying power of weebs with short attention spans.
>>
>>6054570

Most anime is flavor of the month since forever, that doesn't mean people can't keep enjoying them over the years.

Nonetheless a good chunk of that list are releases from the Fate and Nanoha series, ten year old franchises that still produce new installments. That's not what I would call "flavor of the month".
>>
>>6054602
>implying FotM doesn't just mean "thing I dislike"
>>
File: MasterCheif.jpg (36KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
MasterCheif.jpg
36KB, 960x540px
Yeah bought this the other day just because it was cheap and I thought it might be worth something
>>
>>6051651
Yeah, I'm pretty sick of looking at Miku everything, but admit I really like Calne Ca's design.

I'm also guilty of getting the Nendo Sakura Miku as a gift for a friend and being a douchebag and keeping it because it's really cute.

>>6053174
I like the Saint Seiya designs too, but have never watched any of it.
>>
>>6048440
If it's cool/pretty, reasonably priced and I like it, yeah.

Pic very much related.
>>
File: 1288762480390.jpg (41KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1288762480390.jpg
41KB, 800x533px
>>6048671
You son of a bitch... it's because of assholes such as yourself that I can't find a single ML Deadpool anywhere for the regular price.
>>
Drossel, cause hips and robots. While I waited for her I watched the show.
>>
>>6056289
>While I waited for her I watched the show.
A fine strategy that I've employed often enough. It really helps you to wait out the shipping, unlike fans who've already seen it all and are suffering during the wait.
>>
>>6055249
There's this version of Prophet as well:
http://post.smzdm.com/p/497337/
>>
>>6056382
One I grabbed is a 1/18 Neca
>>
>>6048440
I love freaky spooky monsters so i have a bunch of old jap vnyls of kaiju i don't know a lot about.
I could argue that about my vintage hemans too because i never really saw the cartoons or comics, but the toys were released first.
>>
>>6050646
>caring more about "earning" fan/disciple status of IP religion than the toys themselves
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.