[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western Stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 13

File: cowboy-hero-H.jpg (492KB, 1389x454px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-hero-H.jpg
492KB, 1389x454px
/toy/ what would it take to bring back Western stuff as a genre? It just seems like it's totally bankrupt creatively and never coming back.
It's just a buzzkill, there are no good figures from the modern era for Western characters unless you get expensive kitbashed 1/6 stuff or do it yourself.
Only things I can think of are the Neca and Lone Ranger and Jonah Hex figures and none of them were very good. You can't even buy generic plastic cowboys and Indians anymore unless it's at a specialty shop and it's usually a cast of a cast with little details.

Before it gets spammed, I'm aware of the Western Kickstarter but that isn't the answer to me, the figs aren't great and with a shady front man who knows if we'll ever actually see delivery.
>>
Pretty much because most (not all, but most) Western stuff now are made to look "real" by way of turning them into mundane everyday objects. Superhero suits are now glorified super hi-tech jogging suits or faux-military/special forces outfit with Oakley glasses to replace cowls and masks.

Forget even original IPs, I mean Harry Potter / Fantastic Beasts is basically... a bespoke suits catalog with people pretend-playing Pokemon with some made-up animals that look like they came from some tacky souvenir shop, even if the vfx rendering is actually pretty good.

And as for the classics... We're just slowly getting edgy redesigns of them... It's hard when the source material themselves aren't exactly surviving the "modern taste". I mean, most people here are excited for either NECA's TMNT from the original comic or the upcoming bigger scaled ones from the 80's movie or Bandai's SHF of the old 90's cartoon... Not the shit new movie ones... And for once, Power Ranger fans in the toku boards can even agree with sentai fans that the new PR movie has shit designs...

It's really more like Western toy companies reaching deep to do figures of IPs they like.

Last US figure I'm interested in was actually Four Horsemen's non-IP fantasy line. The last American toy I've ever bought was Colossus from the ToyBiz Marvel Legends and the Hasbro Astonishing X-Men ver Wolverine from... like maybe 5 years ago..?
>>
>>6031358
I think you missed his point

He meant the western GENRE (cowboys, old wild wild west) not western hemisphere.
>>
>>6031446
>>6031358
He did miss it, but I allow it because it was a good point and generally well-written and not shitposting.
>>
>>6031295
There was a documentary back in 1995 about the proliferation of science fiction based toys usurping traditional western themed ones, but even bringing it to the forefront of pop culture didn't have much of an effect outside of some promotional tie in products promoting coexistence and compatibility under a common meta theme.
>>
File: cactiterrarium.jpg (107KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
cactiterrarium.jpg
107KB, 1024x682px
It really is unfortunate about the lack of figures.

The only thing I can think of to satisfy the need for western things would be building old western wagon kits and using the Figma horse for dioramas.
In my opinion the Kaiyodo horse looks better than the figma. http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-014689&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_keywords%3Dhorse+figure%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D2

And you can always find model kits that include any other accessory you may need, such as cactus. Although I prefer the look of the real thing, pic related.

I guess we will just have to cry about not having the figures to go with it
but thanks for making my creative juices flow OP
>>
File: neca lone ranger horsey.jpg (239KB, 1467x1100px) Image search: [Google]
neca lone ranger horsey.jpg
239KB, 1467x1100px
Best horse ever is NECA's
>>
File: 3 Kids.jpg (986KB, 1435x753px) Image search: [Google]
3 Kids.jpg
986KB, 1435x753px
>>6031295
The DCUC Jonah Hex wasn't too bad.

But I'm still praying for Marvel to to make some Western Legends.
>>
>>6031564
Why would you use the figma horse when the superior revo horse exists?
>>
>>6031589
Because of price
But apparently this >>6031572 one is even better
>>
>>6031606
Too bad the neca one doesn't exist
>>
>>6031572
That feels when there are picture perfect western horses....still no riders.

What the fuck is going on.
>>
>>6031579
I actually forgot about that one. Even still though that's one single character.
Other than the failed Kenner stuff from the 80s and the Marx Johnny West stuff from the 70s there is just nothing out there. So it's been 3 decades since a "proper" so to speak Western Toyline, 4 really if you consider the fact Kenner failed.

I've been hoping for Western Legends figures too. If nothing else it would be an acceptable base to customize (hopefully) and could cannibalize the Neca ones to get enough variety to get a few different characters made. I mean, I know that Two-Gun Kid is like what....whatever is past D-list.There is precedent for obscure characters though, do we really need version 50 of Iron Man?
>>
File: austin-cowboysg.jpg (85KB, 949x584px) Image search: [Google]
austin-cowboysg.jpg
85KB, 949x584px
>>6031564
I guess so. I fill the gap by getting a variety of older plastic Cowboys and repainting them. (Pic related)
Either that or every time a new set of Lego Minifigs come out I pick up any Western figs.
>>
File: Neca Lone Ranger.jpg (81KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Neca Lone Ranger.jpg
81KB, 800x600px
>>6031661
NECA horses are the best toys you will never own.

Also, they're 1:18 scale.
>>
File: IMG_9029.png (96KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9029.png
96KB, 500x500px
WestWorld on HBO is insanely popular, could be a good backdoor route to some cowboy figures.

Inb4 they only make Maeve, the shittest character.
>>
>>6032047
>backdoor route to some cowboy figures
code
>>
>>6032047
I might buy a good looking Man in Black if the price was right. Maybe even a cowgirl Dolores.
>>
>>6032047
This doesn't look like anything to me.
>>
File: 72298514.jpg (93KB, 768x611px) Image search: [Google]
72298514.jpg
93KB, 768x611px
>>6032047
I'd a Maeve.
>>
>>6032047
Came in here to post this

>>6032517
You're a right cheeky fella
>>
File: eye see.jpg (24KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
eye see.jpg
24KB, 500x365px
>>6031550
>There was a documentary back in 1995 about the proliferation of science fiction based toys usurping traditional western themed ones
>>
>>6032047
I keep hoping that too. Or at least it may push some live into the Genre if nothing else. Given the GoT License went to Funko and resulted in doshit figures hopefully someone else (Neca I hope, or in a perfect world Figma or Figarts) picks it up.
>>
File: jamie funko.jpg (102KB, 500x753px) Image search: [Google]
jamie funko.jpg
102KB, 500x753px
>>6033076
The toys were actually really good with wave 2.
The wave 1 figures were half good.
>>
>>6033494
Are you high?
>>
>>6031295
>/toy/ what would it take to bring back Western stuff as a genre?
A cartoon. One that's actually good and captures the imagination of the children of this generation.

A movie might also work. But it would require merch tie-ins.
>>
File: drogo.jpg (105KB, 1503x1002px) Image search: [Google]
drogo.jpg
105KB, 1503x1002px
>>6034362
No.
I actually bought them and didn't ham hand them, unlike most people who talk shit about the line.
>>
>>6031446

LOL I did completely miss the point. Sorry about that anons. Damn.

>>6031454

Sorry mane, really wasn't trying to derail, I do like Western stuff too though and would love a bunch of nicely articulated classic Western characters or archetypes even but it just really haven't happened at all despite Western films being respected and looked up to. I do still think part of what I ranted is part of the problem... that as time goes by, it's even harder to get original toy lines nowadays because of how IP-reboot reliant new toy lines are... and the more edgy reboots there are, you are really gambling with the chances of getting the classics.

So... Getting stuff like the Lone Ranger remakes really didn't guarantee the classic stuff also getting a line... If anything, it seems to me, if the reboot does badly, that even buries the chances of getting the older IPs further (unless the IP brand recognition is Batman level).
>>
>>6035668
I can't believe this thread is still alive. The Lone Ranger did at least give a few good Lego sets since the Western Subtheme has been oop for about a decade.
Toys are just on the decline in general, like you said unless there's a multi-million dollar IP backing them up and there are no western IPs.
I'm hoping maybe something comes out of Westworld.

>>6035614
Dude. Not a Funko thread. That line was dogshit. The likenesses were shit. The articulation was shit. They had decent sculpts but missed the mark with sloppy paint jobs. Most of the figures had a bad case of derpface. There's a good reason that the MSRP was 19.99 yet most retails can't give the fucking things away at less than $10.
>>
File: quasimodo.jpg (148KB, 1500x1038px) Image search: [Google]
quasimodo.jpg
148KB, 1500x1038px
>>6042053
Yeah, you're full of shit.
Funko got shat on because of their lack of paint on and clear plastic joints, but they pretty much fixed all the problems after the Magic line.

Their GoT figures were mostly great. They even got this cripple's likeness down.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.