[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Autism gift

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: $_35.jpg (25KB, 300x280px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
25KB, 300x280px
I'm not sure if this is against the rules to ask(read the rules), but I kind of need help.
I work in a children's group home that has 3 teens. I have gift ideas for 2 of them... But I'm stuck on the third. He loves putting toys together in a totem-pole type way (he will stick a sharp stick-like toy into the bottom of a me potato Head... Then put a dragon head thing that has a pointy bottom on top of Mr potato Head). He does this with a lot of toys.

Pic is a toy idea that looks great for him, except I'm not sure if the pieces would "stick" together well enough for him... He needs something durable like putting 4x4 Lego bricks on top of each other. Also, I think he is more creative than just staying one type of toy on itself.

Any ideas?

(Also he loves toys that are miniature people... He sticks peg-people on top of his creations too...even if it requires tape to make it stick xD)
>>
>>6021861
Lego or any kind of buiding brick set
>>
The kid I'm talking about functions pretty well... Vacuums his room on his own, can make out change, spells many words... He's 13 so hr should be able to eventually get a job when hrs older... Unlike many of the guys who spend their days trolling to make themselves feel better :p. Didn't realize it until I started working here but the main value you see in Thomas the train is being useful. Some people should learn from that :D
>>
Bionicles
>>
It's not really "building" that he likes... It's sticking toys together to hold... Like a sceptre
>>
Lego. Seriously, you work with autists and didn't immediately think of Lego? What kind of sperg wrangler are you?
>>
>>6021861
There's a new Transformers subline coming out soon called Combiner Force, but I don't know the release date. Otherwise I'd recommend one of the cheaper Combiner Wars giftsets.
>>
If you worked with autistic kids you would know that they vary a ton... I work with a ages 13,16,17,21,22,22,22. None of them have any major interests that the other has.
1 likes jenga blocks... 1 other will play with them but doesn't really like them... None of the others will play with them. Only 2 play with Legos but they don't get excited for them. Only 2 like drawing... One of those actually loves drawing but we have to limit him because he will go crazy and draw on the walls. One is obsessed with Thomas. Only one other will actually watch Thomas.

Their interests vary just as much as yours and mine.

On that note the 17 year old loves singing and hearing the same words repeated.. got him a stuffed animal that repeats what you say (may not interest work due to lack of a human element... But worth a shot). I'm getting gifts based on their interests, not their diagnoses:p
>>
>>6022028
Never even thought of these. I remember having some as a kid. They would probably work really well with him! Thanks
>>
The current sentai line is all about stacking cubes that snap together
>>
>>6021861
Anything by 3A. They even look like the little retards,
>>
>>6022115
Thats kind of cute anon. I didn't know there were people who existed that didn't either coddle autists or hate them. Down to earth people like you who just accept what they are.

What about putting cheap paper rolls on the walls? Though he might not understand not all walls are like that...

Maybe look for fiddle toys? You might be able to find something relevant.
>>
File: IMG_1364.jpg (60KB, 556x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1364.jpg
60KB, 556x667px
Found these stackable guys
>>
File: IMG_1365.jpg (167KB, 750x842px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1365.jpg
167KB, 750x842px
These robot dudes on Amazon
>>
File: IMG_20161115_205609.jpg (3MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161115_205609.jpg
3MB, 4048x3036px
His walls are all painted with chalkboard paint so he can draw on his walls with chalk... really cool axtually...

As far as stacking goes,it needs to be something that "snaps" into each other(and stays together even when waving it)... I worked at a home with 2 blind people today and they had tons of sensory toys on a corner... Some of them might work but I don't know what they are called. Maybe someone could help me identify it.

As for the the treating them different... If you worked with him on a regular basis like me, you'll see the same things other 13 year olds are going through(not fun things) but it really does humanize them.

Anyways... What are these things called?
>>
Actually*
>>
>>6022940

Mother Fuckin' Stickle Bricks
>>
>>6022940
Do you "touch" him?
>>
>>6023503
EPIC xD
>>
>>6022186
kekkd
>>
File: 9sxHPBx.gif (992KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
9sxHPBx.gif
992KB, 250x250px
>>6022023
>Sperg wrangler
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.