[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /toy/ think of POP vinyls. I got a few but kinda got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_4094.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4094.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
What does /toy/ think of POP vinyls. I got a few but kinda got bored of them and went back to traditional action figures and statues.
>>
Trash
>>
First collection of toys I started was pop vinyl, but I saw some star wars black series figures while I was abut to go buy a star wars pop. Fuckin' black series was way cooler
>>
My alien queen is pretty baller
>>
>>6015994
Lame, people only collect them because they're easier to explain to their girlfriends they aren't 'action figures'
>>
>>6015994
Serious answer, I really hate their style. There are way better ways of chibi/SD/simplification of character designs that looks better. 95% of which is how they do the faces. Instead of the unified look it feels like they ruin their character designs.
>>
They tend to be half the price of actual action figures. I preferred action figures, but POP's were cheaper. I quit once I got a raise and was able to afford the real god stuff!
>>
If I had money I'd buy the ones from licenses I like, but that's about it. Pretty low on priority.
>>
I don't get the appeal, but all of my freinds collect them.
>>
I was gifted a pop Sauron, but I'd never but one for myself.
>>
File: 51w3wx+wQRL.jpg (33KB, 341x500px) Image search: [Google]
51w3wx+wQRL.jpg
33KB, 341x500px
I like the aliens, robots, monsters, and occasionally masked people. Anything with a normal human face looks pretty awful.
>>
Are there any xenomorph ones?
>>
File: 71sTMSB-ccL._SL1299_.jpg (167KB, 1299x857px) Image search: [Google]
71sTMSB-ccL._SL1299_.jpg
167KB, 1299x857px
>>6016540
>>
File: funko alien.jpg (117KB, 1200x897px) Image search: [Google]
funko alien.jpg
117KB, 1200x897px
>>6016540
Yeah.
>>
I fell sorry for toys stores and comic shops that have a whole wall stuffed with these fucking things, and cant get rid of them.

I got given a fallout Deathclaw, but Id never buy any of these fucking things on my own.
>>
File: GoldenGirlsPopCollage-696x492.jpg (50KB, 696x492px) Image search: [Google]
GoldenGirlsPopCollage-696x492.jpg
50KB, 696x492px
I admire their ability to get a bunch of licenses that otherwise would have been looked over.
Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined anyone making Golden Girls merch, despite its popularity.

>>6016554
Yeah, Hastings closing down and still having tables of pops despite their half off pricing (at least) and buy 2 get 1 free on top of that was depressing to see.

Please comic shops, learn this lesson and don't go overboard with them.
>>
>>6016893
>first major classic sitcom Pop vinyls
>Golden Girls
>not I Love Lucy

So, proof that Funko execs do drugs? There are way more classic sitcoms that deserve toys than.... that.
>>
>>6016554
went into the local Gamestop for the first time in 4 years... a massive section of Pops on one wall, several shelves, about 5 boxes deep. Another nearby shelf with more of them 3 boxes deep plus another with some on its bottom rows. The checkout counter and an upper shelf has the deluxe boxed items. Minis scattered all over. Clearance stack in the back.

They had more than a few I wanted but... the damn things were scattered randomly, not sorted by franchise. Tuxedo Mask? Can't find the 5 Sailors. War Doctor? Can't see other Doctors. The problem was that there were too many to go through, without taking most of them off their shelves just to be able to look through them and I'm not spending an hour doing that. Even asking if they had specifics in stock wouldn't do much good, I still have to FIND IT in the huge pile.

There's a huge problem when the things are so dense that I can't buy what I want because it's impossible to look through them in a timely manner.
>>
>>6016893
I miss Hastings :(
>>
>>6016949
Im sure Funko has tried to get every license on the planet at this point it's just some are holding out longer.

It's only a matter of time before we get Lucy pops and Brady pops and Gilligan Pops and eventually those Seinfeld pops
>>
>>6016546
>>6016549
Fuck these are disappointing

>>6016554
The deathclaw one is probably the only one I'll ever nab if I had to pick.
>>
>>6016949
GG has more meme appeal.
>>
>>6017048
This and probably immediate nostalgia for the usual Funko Pop buyers.

>>6016949
>So, proof that Funko execs do drugs? There are way more classic sitcoms that deserve toys than.... that.

Sometimes it might be an issue of people either not responding or licensing might be an issue because of cost or something else. Like for instance they wanted to do Seinfeld Pops but Jerry still didn't respond back. (they did do the Seinfeld Vinyl Idolz but didn't do one of Jerry himself)
>>
I didn't think much of them either way but they announced a Jill Valentine which I really need to get
>>
Godly marketing of objectively shit product.
This micro transactions generation is sure an easy prey.
>>
>>6015994
Bullshit. That is a Tarbles, not a Vegeta.
>>
>>6015994
That shit and mystery minies have ruined my hope to have some good Fallout figures.
>>
>>6015994
I have a DP and 1st Order bobble heads for my car. The only other ones I ever get is if no other better alternative toys are out for the characters. Like Rick and Morty and Bobs Burgers.
>>
>>6015994

They apparently view them as satanic.
>>
File: pop taskmaster.jpg (83KB, 691x400px) Image search: [Google]
pop taskmaster.jpg
83KB, 691x400px
I impulse bought Taskmaster while toy hunting at Walgreens.

I regret nothing.

With that said, I also feel like I don't need to buy another POP ever again.
>>
>>6023758
There are some great power armor figures not made by funko
>>
>>6031177
They're only worth collecting for characters you truly, truly like. If you're one of those people that mass collect them, I can't understand why. Especially watching their forums, where every week it's "I spent too much on pops, can't pay rent, buy some of my pops so I'm not homeless!"
>>
If you buy Pop figures, you're either underage or a retarded fagwad
>>
File: 20160512_205312.jpg (654KB, 2322x3446px) Image search: [Google]
20160512_205312.jpg
654KB, 2322x3446px
>>6015994
Overall, they're not that great. /toy/ by and large had a strong hatred towards them as hipster trash.
The good thing about it is that several properties that otherwise have very little, none, or prohibitively expensive merch may have one to several POPs.
It's easy to get bored with them. I collected pretty heavy on them from 2013 to 2015 but I just got burned out.
Over the last 3 years they went from being a smaller company and not many releases to a huge thing and dozens upon dozens of figures coming out every year. It's just impossible to keep up, even if you are selective bout which properties you buy.
At this point I'd say it's past the peak on on the downturn. The secondary prices of some pieces have risen and some are still insanely high but nobody is buying. The secondary market is essentially at a standstill.
I used to do 100% of my custom work in Funko because they were incredibly easy to sell, even for simple repaints. I was getting $30 to $50+ on every figure within a day of finishing it easy, now I'm lucky if I can give the fuckers away.
I still have 8 Power Armor ones stashed because I intended to do all the armor variants and cash in with the set. Still might for myself, but it's not really worth the time. to try and sell them.
Contrary to popular belief just the ease of availability, pop culture power, and affordability to buy a couple are gong to keep these things around long term but the "good days" of it have passed.
I will say that despite being a part of several collecting communities over the years, I have never seen one as poisonous and scalper-happy as Funko. Part of what drove me out of it is I just got tired of the bullshit.

>Pic Related. Big Daddy I dissembled and rigged with LEDs and glass portholes. Thought it would be an easy sell...wrong.
>>
>>6015994
cheap and some look good, but they're pretty
over saturated
>>
>>6016537
This. Like Reaper in your pic, some of their non-human stuff are actually pretty great sculpt-wise.
>>
>>6015994
I like certain ones, but mostly only because I haven't found a better figure of Sadness or Winston to parade on my shelf.
>>
>>6032702
that's people who buy Hasbro products.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.