[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comic Con Prices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: MCM172.jpg (948KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
MCM172.jpg
948KB, 1000x750px
Im going to my first Comic Con in London.
What will the prices be like, also where is the best stall for anime figures.
>>
>>5988780
Overpriced
Not at a con.
>>
File: 282.jpg (17KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
282.jpg
17KB, 256x384px
Usually cons are hella overpriced for figures. But keep your eye out because I was once pleasantly surprised to find a good deal for a figure I really wanted.

I got pic related for $50 CAD
>>
>>5988808
>for a figure I really wanted.
But anon, you posted a statue.
>>
File: Gurren_Lagann.png (735KB, 767x1367px) Image search: [Google]
Gurren_Lagann.png
735KB, 767x1367px
>>5988780
Im looking for a figure of pic related
>>
Most of the stuff is overpriced. Sometimes you'll find a great deal though. I got pic related for $40 usd at anime expo this year.

Look for official company booths. Things like Goodsmile or something. They're usually still overpriced, but they might have convention exclusives that are cheaper there than at aftermarket
>>
File: 81QST-Am5jL._SL1500_.jpg (210KB, 1500x1109px) Image search: [Google]
81QST-Am5jL._SL1500_.jpg
210KB, 1500x1109px
>>5988866
Forgot pic
>>
>>5988828
>Im looking for a figure of pic related
Yeah thats pleb teir anime (no offence, I like my fair share of pleb shit too) so its going to be overpriced as fuck. Just buy from mandy or amiami.
>>
>>5988866
>I got pic related for $40 usd at anime expo this year.
Yeah, thats not really a deal. It retails for $25.
>>
>>5988780
so what are the best stalls for buying figures at good prices
>>
You do not attend conventions for great deals on toys. You go their to experience the community as a whole, meet the fellow fans and generally try to have a good time. If you do find a good deal, then great, but be prepared for disappointment if this is the only reason you desire to go. Have fun!
>>
>>5989000
>meeting people
REEEEEEEEE FUCKING NORMIE

>>5988780
Its usually a good experience and I have had some pretty good hauls from cons too. Unfortunatly most stuff is overpriced but theres usually a couple sellers actually wanting to move product and price things accordingly under retail.

Also if its at the end of the day or the last day booth owners are usually willing to negotiate. Haggle. Offer bundle price for like two figures for x. At the end of cons especially people are more than willing to work with you as they look over their stuff and realize they have to pack it all up and haul it back, any little bit they can reduce and also make their con going succesful helps them too. I have gotten great deals this way by spotting a couple things earlier in the day then swooping in at the end.

My best get was an SHF SS Vegeta for 75$ from bluefin booth. This was a few years ago when it was the only ss vegeta and there was no indication on the horizon there was going to be more and the cheapest on amazon was 300$. It was my grail score.

In short depending how big how much selection you can usually find a few diamonds in the rough at cons. And sometimes good deals.

However if you ONLY go for the toys and not the full experience you will be dissapointed. Even if you get one good deal you sort of negated it with the ticket price and just paid scalper prices. Enjoy the con, enjoy the panels, enjoy the experience, especially all those toys in one place.
>>
>>5989010
I'm going mainly for the experience but I do wanna pick a couple of things up
>>
You not only find overpriced merch, but you'll also find rare things or something from japan you may have missed.

>>5989010
>REEEEEEEEE networking is bad
oh you
>>
>>5988780
>paying to pay for overpriced figures
>>
>>5989411
actually my parents are paying
>> I don't know why
>>
>>5989385
What kind of fucking "networking" are you doing at a con? The only functioning non autists there are pro cosplayers that have an utter disdain for it all inside and are only doing it because they cant get into real modeling.
>>
>>5989633
What kind of shitty cons do you go to?

Suppliers, distributors, authors, artists, publishers, and other trade workers go to them, where you go to make connections and in roads.

I've been to small time cons and even there you can find people to network with.
>>
>>5988883
Considering it goes for anywhere between $70-$100 these days, $40 is really good. Yea I paid a latecomers tax, but it was a pretty low one
>>
>>5988780
You should be fine so long as you check prices online to make sure you aren't getting jewed over.
Also, most vendors will slash prices on the last day to get rid of their stock, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>5989933
>Considering it goes for anywhere between $70-$100 these days
Jesus christ, really? I have one sitting in my closet right now that I havnt touched in close to a year.
>>
>>5990192
oh what a coincidence
>>
>>5988780
MCM London is absolutely terrible for figures.

Its just got worse and worse in recent years, to the point where, after 5 years of going to each one, I'm not bothering anymore.

No more official Goodsmile booth (used to be able to get long sold out figs at original RRP). No more official Banpresto Ichiban Kuji. (Always used to be a bit of fun.)

Worst: Around 80% (genuinely, the vast, vast majority) of figures sold are Chinese counterfeits.
This has got a lot worse in recent years, so you really have to know your shit. Because spotting anything genuine (this isn't absurdly priced up) is like finding a needle in a haystack.

My advice: If you want to buy, buy on mandarake.

If you want to see dozens of people selling trash and bootlegs to normie idiots and autists whi know no better for hugely inflated prices, go ahead to MCM.
>>
>>5989010
It really helps not to try to Jew vendors. I'm happy to knock a couple bucks off, especially if I can sell a few things together. But if you're expecting 90% off a rare figma and nothing else, don't bother.
>>
>>5991668
If you say no ill be sure to swing back and steal something off your table while distracted. Then at the end of the con I will come by and laugh at how much you have to pack up and bully you about not selling anything. Fucking jew.
>>
>>5991760
You poorfags are all talk.

The best reason to buy more than one table at any con is so autists don't crowd out paying customers. At six feet, even eight, all it takes is one. A booth set up is even worse because the "doorway" becomes a literal chokepoint.
>>
>>5992876
Anyway, I think we're in the early stages of a correction in the con market. Prices have gotten out of whack with people paying $40 to get into events with maybe $20 to spend at booths costing hundreds to rent. For awhile, art prints were doing well as a low overhead alternative. But now I'm seeing more formerly-open cons imposing stricter limits on art tables. It'll be interesting to see if those cons end up shrinking. Especially if they have children like >>5991760 stealing on any kind of scale.
>>
File: 1454952785719.jpg (36KB, 636x639px) Image search: [Google]
1454952785719.jpg
36KB, 636x639px
Cons are not very good places to get figures.
The vendors all seem to think they can charge anything they want for Japanese figures.
Last one I went to a vendor was trying to sell a Revo Yotsuba for $70 for example.

>>5989633
>Everyone is retarded but me.
>>
>>5992911
>Prices have gotten out of whack with people paying $40 to get into events with maybe $20 to spend at booths costing hundreds to rent
LOL WUT?

TWENTY BUCKS?

That's poorfag as fuck. If you only have that much money to spend, you should not be going ever.
You should at MINIMUM carry/save up $100 to buy those rare or uncommon items. There's still a lot of shit you don't even know exists, so $100 is barely anything if you care anything about comic, arts, or toys.

I easily spent that much at a small time 20 table convention, but mostly in artist alley which had the most amateur of amateurs peddling bad art. There were only like 4 or 5 good artists out of 30.
>>
>>5991634
The last one had a tamashii nations booth. I was sore tempted to buy their shit.
>>
>>5993017
What country are you in?

I've never seen prices that outrageous.
>>
File: JAPAN-KFC-5.jpg (167KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
JAPAN-KFC-5.jpg
167KB, 768x1024px
>>5993083
Kentucky.
>>
>>5993057
I could see it when entry was free or very cheap. It's tough all around now because we're paying through the nose for space and can't subsidize the cover charge for customers. Nobody ever faults the organizer so we end up at each others throats instead.

Me, I eventually started favoring the art room over the dealer room as a guest. But now they're so much tumblr shit. Creepy goth or Steven Universe was 80% of Otakon this year. If they hadn't moved Dull Stare Same Face Guy into the dealer room, it would've been even worse.
>>
>>5988828
Every figure of the robit costs a gorillion dollars on the aftermarket, have fun
>>
>>5993057
>i have lots of money
>that means everyone who goes to cons also have money
>>
>>5996727
You missed the point. Why are you paying more to get into the con than you have to spend at the con? It doesn't make sense. And people need to direct the blame where it belongs, the organizers setting these door fees, not the vendors being taken to the cleaners even harder. Somehow computer shows and gun shows do alright with free or single digit door fees.
>>
>>5991634
i got a bootleg nendoroid ryuko by accident, but I don't mind cause it is actually staying together and the paint is really neat besides for the silver on the straps
>>
>>5993444
Eh, these organizations are trying to compete with Comic Con.
They see how much Comic Con is making so they try and put in as much money to grow their own convention.

San Diego Comic Con charges as much as they do because it's fuckbig. They involve the city, shut down a bunch of streets, take over 4 other hotels, a couple of theaters, the library, and over a thousand cops, security guards, staff, and other workers. That's ontop of their volunteers too.
A crazy amount of money goes into that, just so that a couple hundred companies can just advertise their movies/games/toys/shows/plays/books/whores to over half a million people (not just the convention attendees).
The money paid by attendees, promoters, and vendors is well worth the charge, even if a lot of people baulk at the extra effort involved in getting in.

The other conventions don't even put in a 10th of that effort, yet are charging almost as much for their tables/booths and entry passes. Is it worth it? Yes, otherwise they wouldn't get people paying up and growing numbers.

Personally, i like smaller conventions more, because you actually see more variety of stuff, especially with toys. Though, you really don't get as many deals as the bigger ones.
The entry fee always pays for itself, at least, in the conventions i go to.

I regret not spending more cash at Stan Lee's Comic Convention, but i have so little time to prep up lists to know what comics I'm missing and how much i should spend for a figure.
>>
>>5998618
Eh, I've seen a pretty obvious decrease in traffic and increase in vacant tables since 2014. Most of these cons won't share their numbers, though, especially if it's to confirm a drop.
>>
>>5999901
And the only way to really get more numbers is by advertising more and getting more space.
Or rather, one of the ways.

You have to do something to attract more people and if you're run down and slipshod, it's not going to attract a lot of consumers.

I know a lot of conventions pay for famous artists and writers to go there, which increases costs. Same with actors and other famous people.
So even if numbers decrease, you create buzz with the new shit, which attracts more people for next year.
>>
>>5989633
I think you need to start getting your info from Real Life instead of 4chan buddy
Sounds like you got memed by the sad sack of shit on /a/
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.