[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BJD/Doll Thread: Flowerlarmemorikei donutsteel original design Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 70

File: kikipop.jpg (96KB, 600x1070px) Image search: [Google]
kikipop.jpg
96KB, 600x1070px
Last thread >>5884261

FAQs:
/toy/ - bjd.buyfags.moe
/jp/ - dollfaq.buyfags.moe

Doll news and company list:
>bjdcollecstasy.com
>bjdcollectasy.com/companies-other-links/

WIP Database/Height comparison:
>dollection.fi

Doll magazine scans (patterns!):
>plus.google.com/112174196208952755265/photos

Common sealants for faceups (there are more, but these are most frequently used):
>Mr. Super Clear Flat/Matte (UV-cut is preferred)
>Testor’s Dullcote (tends to get dirty easily)
>Citadel Purity Seal
>Zoukeimura Finishing Powder (it’s a spray by Volks)
>Liquitex Matte Medium (airbrush)

The general population of /bjd/ are anti-recast or are pretty much neutral on the subject.
Stop beating the dead horse every thread by asking.

Our threads are mostly dedicated to Ball-jointed dolls and other dolls in the Asian market.
>inb4 ELITIST!@!@!!!

Thunderbird Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
>>
File: tumblr_oa5w409v0S1qdw2ozo1_500.jpg (99KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oa5w409v0S1qdw2ozo1_500.jpg
99KB, 427x640px
>>5917008
Last thread shenanigans:

>Anon gets tips on doll making. (Tip: It's not going to save you money and is a labor of love)

>Criticism of Andreja

>Display ideas

>Pathos Tale and Ringdoll are sister companies

>Why are Mirodoll and Bobobie so cheap?

>Mr. Dollshe holds another "TOTALLY NOT MAKING ANY MORE" sale, and churns out a dude with a huge wang and a small head.

>/bjd/ has a discussion on YouTubers
>>
>>5917008
ayy, that pic's my phone background
>>
File: Theressomethinginthosetrees.jpg (262KB, 761x1068px) Image search: [Google]
Theressomethinginthosetrees.jpg
262KB, 761x1068px
a new thread!
>>
>>5917079
Now hold on, OL-chan has to be the cool one.
>>
File: rope1.jpg (148KB, 979x653px) Image search: [Google]
rope1.jpg
148KB, 979x653px
>Do ya know what we need, man? Some rope.

>Charlie Bronson's always got rope.

>He's got a lot of rope strapped around him in the movies, and they always end up using it.
>>
File: rope2.jpg (135KB, 979x653px) Image search: [Google]
rope2.jpg
135KB, 979x653px
>>5917604

That's stupid. Name one thing you gonna need a rope for.

>You don't fuckin' know what you're gonna need it for. They just always need it.
>>
File: rope3.jpg (137KB, 979x653px) Image search: [Google]
rope3.jpg
137KB, 979x653px
>>5917610
>>
>>5917012
>>Anon gets tips on doll love making
i already need a 2nd nap today
>>
WTF. Dollstown has discontinued about half their heads.
>>
>>5917681
I never liked their head sculpts. as long as their bodies are still for sale
>>
>>5917019
I really like that picture, but wish the Kikipop's eyes were not as bright or at least less pixellated.

idk, it's a nitpick, but they look so off to me.
>>
>>5917612
>>5917610
>>5917604
>>5917079

Aha they're so cute together. The sexy office lady and the adorable dorky house husband.

Does she refuse to go shopping with him now?
>>
File: volks1.jpg (257KB, 580x763px) Image search: [Google]
volks1.jpg
257KB, 580x763px
>>5918551
She wants him to get a nice suit and haircut first. She can't decide on the red one or a matching black one.
>>
>>5918692
Why not get him one from Freedom Teller instead of that fashion disaster?
>>
File: rope4.jpg (178KB, 685x1028px) Image search: [Google]
rope4.jpg
178KB, 685x1028px
>>5918706
Wow at those rape prices!

I could easily spend the amount for another resin just buying clothes from them.
>>
>>5918717
The problem with having a single head is that they only have one facial expression.
Sure, you can add variety by changing the angle and so on.
But they still look like they're enjoying being tied up a little too much.
>>
File: indianajones3-01.jpg (43KB, 640x272px) Image search: [Google]
indianajones3-01.jpg
43KB, 640x272px
>>5918736
>But they still look like they're enjoying being tied up a little too much.
kek

I had this scene in mind
>>
>>5918717
>Wow at those rape prices!
Says the one with the Volks full-set dolls.

No, really, their stuff is well worth the money.
Already met the owners at LDoll back then too, the founder actually made human fashion before and was unhappy about the lack of choices for her dolls, so she opened Freedom Teller.
I got several of their sets for mine and they also customize their sets for a small fee (like using different colors).

There's a reason they are popular with the chic Volks crowd (like Turbow, or rainwaltz).
>>
>>5918837
Oh, I'm sure their stuff is well worth it.
I could already see dropping the amount of another resin with them on clothes.

I just need to hunt for a money tree somewhere.
>>
if andreja's dolls are at best average, ¿who is better?
>>
>Tfw you just finished paying off a doll, when someone lists one for the same price that you prefer, with extras
Does this happen to anyone else? I think I'm happy with my purchase but then someone offers a better thing once I've emptied my wallet.
>>
>>5918904

This happens to me literally every time I buy a doll. If I spend $100+ on anything a doll I wanted will pop up for an insanely low price. It's infuriating.
>>
>>5918873

I'd say her dolls are a bit above average really, it's just that she has minifees styled in the typical boring minifee way. I'd rather look at saarqs dolls even though faceup wise I think they're on andreja level simply because she has dolls that aren't from fairyland.
>>
>>5918904
Yes.
>Saved up for grail
>None for sale anywhere, of course
>Search for weeks
>Finally find one on DoA
>Spent $750 for my grail (It's a YoTenshi)
>Week later, another one pops up on DoA MP for $650, but not with the default faceup I like (I know, I'm trash for liking a default Volks faceup, but I don't like those Rabiruna-type faceups, which is what this one had)
>Next week after, one pops up on Y!JA for even cheaper
Oh well.
>>
>>5918873
Depends how you define average, I guess.
To me there is three types of average: no effort average, effort average and shit.

No effort is buying a full-set doll.
Your doll has a default face-up, default outfit, is clean.
Nothing special, zero effort, doll looks okay.
Can't get anymore basic than that.

Effort average is getting/painting a semi-decent custom face-up (25-50$ bracket), basic clothes from Etsy and co., regular fiber wig (Leekeworld, Crobi), decent glass eyes/maybe Mako.
Doll is somewhat well coordinated and clean, but nothing special and still mostly low effort.
Person can't craft/can't craft that well.

Anything below that (cheapest of the cheapest stuff, shitty self-made face-up, doll is dirty) is the depressing shit average.

Andreja is better than the "effort average" bracket.
Dolls are clean, coordinated, her self made stuff (like wigs) is of decent quality.
However, her dolls are nothing special, there are lots and lots of people who have exactly the same dolls like her (basically every MNF with Alpaca wig, Culur/Rakeru Sensei/similar style face-up, simple casual clothes).
She is really good at making her dolls and works look more high quality and expensive though.

I'd say above average begins at buying more expensive stuff (angora wigs, urethane eyes, 60-100$ face-ups, 150+$ outfits, more props) once in a while.
Being able to customize/craft something well belongs here too.
Dolls can start to look more interesting here without looking weird, like the ones in the shit category.
Not a must though, some people spend decent money and only get the nice stuff, but their dolls look like the ones from other owners with similar spending habits (like the usual Volks owners).

Afterwards you have the really good crafters, people who commission everything for their dolls, regulary buy only the expensive stuff/don't care about costs/effort as long as it's perfect.
Those people have very distinct dolls who look great and are still interesting.
>>
File: IMG_20160917_222757.jpg (480KB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160917_222757.jpg
480KB, 1125x1500px
>>5918904
My luck tends to turn sour when I try to cut corners.
>Buy doll from company's taobao store to save on both prices and shipping.
>Agent fuck up big time. End up costing me more than if I bought via the English site. Also takes forever to arrive.
>While I wait, company has event. Could have saved if I just waited.

So I've resolved to just (try) not be a cheapskate about these things. Generally though, I have pretty good luck with finding doll deals. Either great timing with events or things like finding a full doll with the exact body I need for less than the body new.
>>
>>5918873

Andreja is about average because theres nothing special about the dolls or her work. It looks similar to a lot of stuff out there.

Who is better? That is subjective.
Some might think default Volks, Iple, Dollmore, Turbow, rainwaltz, tumblr, or even color-blind-glitter-shit-messes, etc... is better!
Who is better is for you to decide.
>>
>>5918873
Andreja dolls are average in the mnf scene. They are nothing special because all mnf owners have dolls like her. But she is above average in the sense that her faceups look clean and soft, her dolls wigs are cute and she always dresses them well. Something a lot of bjd owners for some reason don't seem to be very good at. But in the world of high end customization she is basic level, since her faceups are nothing really special and her wigs although they are cute, they are all the exact same and her bjd clothes are also nothing too great. It just depends on who you are comparing her to. There are a lot of people with way better mnf than her, just look through Flickr
>>
>>5918873

Andreja is average because if you search "minifee", you can find hundreds, if not thousands, of the same style doll.
The only reason Andreja is considered better is because she takes nice photos, and none of her stuff is a mess, not her faceups, wigs, clothes, apartment, photography, videos. They're nice. Just nice. In the most simple definition of the term.

Who is better is a subjective answer.
I personally like Inky Ghosts MNF's and it's only because they are slightly different to the majority of MNF's.
Also she's lovely whenever we interact, whereas Andreja basically makes you pay to interact with her through Patreon, which is the most conceited thing I can imagine.
>>
So I was thinking about joining BJD youtube because I can't stand half of the people who are putting out content just rambling at a camera with too many uhhhs and ummms in between every three words, BUT, what kinds of things are you looking for when you go on youtube?
I personally like to see doll reviews, maybe some tutorials for furniture and props and most of all I like to hear about people's characters? But I know a lot of people aren't really into that, so, please tell me what kinds of things you'd like to see on BJDTube!
>>
>>5919818
>>5919698
>>5919620
Going off of this, I think there are so many mnf (bjds in general, actually) that look like absolute shit that Andreja looks like a doll god in comparison, when really, she is what the average doll should look like. Not some abortion with a $3 fur wig and knockoff American Girl doll clothes on.
>>
File: tumblr_odp38lpGrJ1rvfyy8o1_540.jpg (83KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odp38lpGrJ1rvfyy8o1_540.jpg
83KB, 540x720px
Well this makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>5919885
>when really, she is what the average doll should look like. Not some abortion with a $3 fur wig and knockoff American Girl doll clothes on.

This.
It's depressing that "clean, not making you barf, minimal effort" is already supposed to be above average.

>>5919883
- Reviews and comparisons
- BJD 101/other newbie friendly tutorials (how to string, what is a BJD actually, explaining of sizes, what do hobby-specific terms mean etc.) <- make sure you really know what you are talking about here
- proper doll character videos (not just your face babbling along, but maybe with the focus on the doll while you dress it up, i.e. camera from above, only your hands and the doll visible)
- BJD care (I really like to watch people handle their dolls, put on gloves and just show how you take apart a doll and clean it, brush wigs and the like....maybe talk about the doll's character while you are at it)
- maybe tutorials (only when you know what you are doing AND produce a proper and finished product in the end)

Also adding, especially for the newbie friendly videos, subtitles would be nice.
Even if you talk well, clean and leave out the filler words it's still pleasant to have them, especially when you want to google something/English ain't your first language.

And for the love of god, keep your face out of it when it's not really necessary.
>>
File: 1451182409126.jpg (275KB, 1001x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1451182409126.jpg
275KB, 1001x1500px
Hey anons, what wig size does a dollfie dream wear? Many thanks.
>>
>>5919984
Thank you! This was all really helpful. I appreciate your input!
>>
>>5919888
...this reminds me of a discussion I had with a few friends days ago (started with "do three eyed people have three eyebrows? how do they wear glasses?" to "how do sunglasses for a cyclops look like?").

This is definitely not the answer.
But maybe it's just a fashion accessoire...hopefully.
>>
>>5919986
8-9inch wigs.
They still fit well even if you add a headcap to prevent staining.

>>5919991
No biggie.

I wish I had the time (and wouldn't hate my own voice so much) to do videos of my own, but I am already too busy with answering questions/writing FAQs and having a shop.

So you go anon, try to make a difference.
>>
>>5919984
>>5920024
>>5919991

adding: depending on your skills photography videos/editing/before-after would be cool too.

Lots of people have no clue how much you need to fake in photos (like using stands and editing them out), and while there are tutorials out there for humans/smaller figures there isn't much to find with bigger dolls.
Showing setups and a step by step from "setup to finished and edited picture" would be interesting too.

Maybe Photography/Editing 101, to show basic steps to achieve better pictures (can be anything from "brush wig/use lint roller", "difference with and without reflector", "how to achieve bokeh with light sources and correct lens settings", "lighting up eyes in software" to "removing dust specs").

Thinking about this, this could actually be a whole own channel.
Now I regret even more I despise my voice and lack the time.
>>
File: Minty1459030746.jpg (107KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
Minty1459030746.jpg
107KB, 570x570px
>>5920024
So I have a Snow Miku dd but I'm concerned about the longevity of her wig. It has these glittery fibers running through it that feel almost wiry and I can see the wig getting all ratty and shit over time. I want to store the official wig away and only use it occasionally while having her use a more general wig for everyday display.
My problem is I don't really know where to find a wig that matches the light blue snow miku colouring. Everything is neon blue or Miku green. Does anyone have any pointers?
>>
I'm gonna buy a recast of one of those little dragon dudes. they're cute, but not cute enough to pay full price for a legit
>>
>>5920038
Long wigs are a big pain in the ass to care for anyway (and I personally am not a fan of the fibers Volks uses, but that's just me).

I went through a few stores, but I am surprised to say you are right.
Didn't expect that to be so difficult to find.

- ForMyDoll
They have this limited color called "Icy Blue" and F9-1.
Not sure if the Icy Blue is already sold out or still to come, but both colors are more saturated.

- Leekeworld
They actually have an art wig called "snow" that's a white wig with blue pastel highlights.
The top pictures make it look more green than I remember it to be in real:
http://www.leekeworld.com/En/Product/p_view.asp?it_code=5014&B_catalog_num=146

Else they have this basic color called "whisper blue", but it's also more on the greenish/turquoise site and pretty saturated (https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8726/16753910959_1ba74dfdd4_z.jpg example).
Their "Angel Blue" color would have been perfect, but it was a limited color.

- Crobidoll
Their Aqua Blue is PERFECT....but they only have one model with it.
And Crobidoll doesn't offer 8-9 wigs (only 8 or 9-10), and I doubt any of those fit DDs :(
Same for LUTS, they mostly skipped 8-9 now and have no fitting color.

Kaleidoll and Lullaby Poem also don't offer a cold light blue.
Licht is the same.
Taobao wasn't helpful either (but I just made a quick search).

Only other option might be to check ebay and hope you actually get the wig on the picture.
Sorry anon, that wasn't really helpful.
>>
>>5920066
Nobody cares.
>>
>>5920073
>And Crobidoll doesn't offer 8-9 wigs (only 8 or 9-10), and I doubt any of those fit DDs :(
Actually, their 8 inch wigs fit DDs pretty well. They can be tight, but they do fit. Their 9-10 wigs also kind of fit, but they're pretty loose even with a silicone cap or two.
>>
>>5920032
>>5920024

Im not very good at editing photos and stuff but maybe one day if I figure it out I will add that in, haha

I like to think I have a decent voice that doesnt hurt people's ears to listen to but I'm not very nice to look at so I'll have to figure out how to set up the camera to film my hands and not my face.
>>
>>5919984

I feel like all the stuff you listed is so basic you don't even need a video on it to figure it out. Like restring ing your average doll and cleaning and shit are just a Google search away and making step by step videos about it just seems redundant.

Also fuck people who wear gloves when handling their dolls, these aren't precious art pieces made to last forever ffs. Your doll is going to yellow overtime no matter what you do so you might as well just make sure your hands are clean before handling and forego the museum gloves.

I would love more honest bjd reviews but I feel like in this hobby that will never happen. People routinely lie about how good a doll poses and constantly downplay their flaws in every discussion thread I've ever been in. Nobody in the bjd community ever wants to admit they wasted money on a shitty doll body that can't even stand so they lie about how great it is to others so their not in the shit boat alone. I wish Venetica did more doll reviews on youtube, hers were actually pretty good.
>>
>>5920084
Oh, that's good to know.
I haven't bought from them in ages, since most of my dolls fall in this inbetween size they don't offer.

>>5920098
>I feel like all the stuff you listed is so basic you don't even need a video on it to figure it out

Eh, depends how you look at it.
If you check the usual newbie places (#bjd tag on Tumblr, Newbieland on DoA) you'll see that lots of people still ask the same questions and are also still afraid to handle their doll.
It's less a "this is how to do it" and more a "look, no need to be afraid, it's super simple and nothing special".

>Your doll is going to yellow overtime no matter what you do so you might as well just make sure your hands are clean before handling and forego the museum gloves.

Unless your hands are super grimy all the time yellowing has nothing to do with that anyway.
I also just wash my hands before handling, but for videos I'd still put on gloves.
Why? Because people can't see on a video that you washed your hands.
It's about the image.
And it at least keeps the face-up in better shape, especially when you have long nails or nail polish.

>People routinely lie about how good a doll poses and constantly downplay their flaws in every discussion thread I've ever been in.

Again, depends.
At the end of the day your opinion on posing abilities depends on what you expect from a doll.
If your average is a MNF the majority of dolls will be shit posers.
If your average is "can sit, stand without shoes, raise arms and touch face" lots of dolls are pretty good posers.
Maybe your average is just different from others?
Most of my dolls are 70cm guys, I honestly gave up expecting a lot there because they are just way too heavy anyway.

In case of extreme example most people are pretty honest though.
For example Iplehouse are shitty posers, pretty much every owner will tell you when you ask them.
>>
>>5919818
>I personally like Inky Ghosts MNF's and it's only because they are slightly different to the majority of MNF's.
I like RikkiStar's mnfs for that reason.

>>5920098
They are basic as fuck things, but you still get dumbasses asking how to do them. If you make a good enough video, you could be referred to as the go-to for it. Much like how we refer people to some of Andreja's videos to do some basic things.

You'll get bonus points for restringing more complex dolls, like centaurs or anything from FL. The problem with this part is getting access to these dolls-- particularly if you cannot afford/do not want them in your collection. You would have to have (god forbid) friends that trust you well enough with them.
>>
>>5920166
>If you make a good enough video, you could be referred to as the go-to for it. Much like how we refer people to some of Andreja's videos to do some basic things.

This.
If we had a YT channel that covers all the bases in an easy to follow, nice to look at and properly edited way that would be great.
Yes, tutorials like that exist, yes, most of it is basic stuff...but as anon said, dumbasses still ask the most basic things.
Having one spot to refer to would make things easier.

But that's a lot of work, sadly.
And not very appealing to do for people who mostly want to talk about themselves/their own dolls.
>>
File: anime_addicted1467018484.jpg (156KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
anime_addicted1467018484.jpg
156KB, 570x570px
Have any of you ever had to change address after winning a Volks lottery? I entered the lottery to try and win a Kagamine Len dollfie but have unexpectedly changed address since entering (no one lives at the old address anymore either, as its under renovation.) If I win, how likely will Volks be to let me change my address? I know they say "No address changes" but how strict is that?
>>
>>5920176
I think I would actually LOVE to have this sorta channel.
I enjoy doing the most basic things [restrining, washing, brushing wigs] coz it's somewhat cathartic, and my dolls don't really have characters or stories so I'm struggling to figure out what sorta videos to make on BJDtube.

Andreja has made one or two simple BJD video things iirc (like putting in eyes or eyeslashes, restringing and hotgluing) but other than that, she's just faceups and her own stuff.

Seriously, if I had a list of "basic" videos to make, I'd go ahead and make it because it gives me something to do outside of being too depressed to get outta bed. I just dunno what qualifies as "basic" since most of the basic stuff is second nature and I don't really need to think about it to do it.
>>
>>5920181
I wish I knew the answer to this. Are you able to forward your old mail to your new address?

>>5920204
Alright, let's make a list, then.

Basic:
>Restringing
>Positioning eyes so they don't look dead inside
>Photography tips and/or creating a neat basic display
>Posing tips
>Display ideas
>Hot glue and/or Pliver sueding
>Wig styling and care
>How to use Magic Eraser (seriously, people have been seriously retarded in thinking this is hard)
>Tips to remove faceups (W&N, Acetone, Alcohol-- everyone has bias, but going through pros and cons of each one would help)
>How to order and what to expect (wait times, costs, tracking, how to avoid recasts)
>Ironing doll clothing
>Basic, but not sock dress-tier clothing patterns
>tips for gluing in magnets (seriously.)

Advanced:
>Restringing complex dolls (MNF/fantasy/etc.)
>Wig making/super hairdos
>Eye making (making natural lines/dimensions or some similar to OscarDoll)
>How to order stuff on Taobao
>Blushing/Faceups not using Andreja's wc pencil technique with detailed steps (paint consistency, brush recommendations, etc.)
>Photo editing

I would say to just work with your strongest skillsets-- restringing and wig care. Not everyone has the ability to do all of the listed above (and that's fine) but I'm just tossing out ideas.

You may also browse Newbieland on DoA to get a lot of ideas on what newbs need info on. Most of it is handholding shit, but I think those kinds of things may be what gets the most traffic because eventually people get tired of repeating the same shit over and over. With a good comprehensive video, they can just link it without repeating it for the nth time.
>>
>>5920254
Unfortunately not allowed to forward (how the doll is shipped requires a signature and there will be no one on the premises for the most part until next year) It's really weird how they won't let you change the address
>>
>>5920204
I tried to come up with a few things (I've been in the hobby for ten years now, so that isn't that easy for me either):

- everything about wigs
Explaining and showing different types (fiber, fur, fake and real mohair, other natural fibers like alpaca and angora).
How to put on wigs, explaining the use of wig caps, fur wig styling.
How to avoid wig stains, why and where do wigs stain.
How to take care of wigs, which products are safe to use for washing/styling.

- everything about eyes
Showing the different types and explaining their differences (glass, urethane, silicone, acrylics).
How to put in eyes (kid you not, that question comes up often because lots of dolls have painted on/glued in eyes).
Putty comparisons, what not to use.

- really basic "About BJDs" videos
Showing and explaining the common sizes.
Faceplate vs. full head system.
Double vs. single jointed.
How do BJDs work?
How are they different compared to other doll lines?
Things to know as a beginner?
Things to own as a beginner?

- BJD Care 101
How to take apart and put together a doll.
How to clean it, how to remove face-ups, best and safe products for it and what to look out for.
Restringing and changing parts (several videos, for different types of dolls, from normal Volks to LUTS centaur and FL MNF).
Common issues, what to know about storing/owning these dolls (yellowing and how it looks like etc.).

Everything else gets more specific:
- BJD Customizing 101
What you need for face-ups.
Acrylics vs pencils, pro and contra.
How to mod a doll, additive and subtractive, and what you need for that.
Sealants, available types and how they work.
Safe materials.
Maybe something about airbrush.

- BJD Socializing 101
What is a Dollpa?
Where to meet other doll owners?
Social Media and dolls.
Places to share dolls, doll forums etc.

- BJD Photography
General photography tips.
What to buy.
>>
>>5920263
Adding: other anon came up with a few good things too.
Especially the "what to expect/how to order" part I totally forgot.

I honestly wish I could make such a channel.
Maybe I at least can make a Tumblr with texts and photos.
I have a big doll group/lots of doll friends/access to lots of things/several years in the hobby and I like to help people, so that should be possible.
>>
>>5920181
If you win, you have to re-confirm the shipping address IIRC. I think you'll be fine.

I'm having a hard time, I'm not sure if I should buy a tan minifee during the event, or a limho mono while Junkyspot has them on sale. It's only a small sale- who knows when FL will offer a tan sale again- but the mono is cheaper and my fun money is a little tight right now. And I would get the Mono like... this week, vs. FL's normal wait. I want both, eventually.
>>
>>5920254
>>5920263
>>5920266

Great ideas here, definitely writing all these down. My brain is buzzing already with plans.

Big question, though.
Would people want just a simple playlist on youtube from a particular member, or a completely new youtube channel called something like BJD101?
Or does this not really bother anyone? Because I can see pro's and con's to both.
>>
File: Untitled432.jpg (37KB, 515x591px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled432.jpg
37KB, 515x591px
Is there a decent method of repairing these types of spot chips?

Pastels don't work well. The pigment doesn't stick to the chipped area and gets all around it too.

Would acrylics work for spot fixes like that? Just so it doesn't look like an odd white head /pale area.
>>
>>5920380

Howzabout putting a wig on it, so that small, insignificant mark doesn't trigger your autism?

Oh, who am I kidding? Even with a wig covering it, you'll ALWAYS know that it's there.
>>
>>5920385

What if I want him bald because I have a monk fetish?
>>
>>5920380
>>5920393
>What if I want him bald because I have a monk fetish?
If you want him bald, I would think the lack of blushing on the headcap would trigger you more than the spot.

In all seriousness, though-- spray some sealant on it. You will likely have to re-gloss parts, but it's better than having to redo a whole faceup. You can make some goofy looking paper tents to shield the eyelashes from sealant if you're too squeamish to take out and reglue them.
>>
>>5920380
Hmm, might be difficult.
Is that the Volks default? If yes, it might be a big pain in the ass since Volks is a little trigger happy with their airbrush blushing (they even airbrushed the inside of my goddamn Ryoma?!).

However, if you are skilled enough it can be pulled off.
You need to very lightly sand the area, spray sealant, blush it (airbrush would work best) and seal it again.
As other anon mentioned you might to re-gloss and to cover the glued in lashes.

But honestly, just add a light layer of sealant so the spot is less shiny and pull on a wig afterwards.
Not worth the trouble for something that is covered all the time anyway.
>>
>>5920327
How does the re-confirm work? Will I get to edit the whole address?
>>
>>5920073
Thank you so much anon
>>
>>5920038
Licht BJD has at least one wig in a nice sky/icy blue color.
>>
>>5920038
Obitsu has a wavy light blue in 8 and 9, and straight in 9
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm working on a doll room for my dolls. Going for worn down beat up "not sure I want to sit there" couch feel
>>
>>5921111
Get smaller dolls for your dolls to make photo stories of in their filthy room.
>>
>>5921111
i would not sit there
good job
>>
>>5920073
>Else they have this basic color called "whisper blue"

No chance of a link to a sales page?
>>
>>5919986
>>5920024
Some have slightly smaller heads FYI so some wigs made/labeled Dollfie Dream may be loose. Miku has a slightly smaller head than normal, some of the older ones (the original two for sure) fit into 7-8, and KosMos has an incredibly tiny noggin, due to game design and I guess trying to not look bobbly with her big head gear.
>>
>>5921111
Take a lil bit of medium grit sandpaper and rub the center of the cushions towards the front edge, the tops of the arms, and a little along the puffiest part of the back cushions. It currently looks more like a new couch that someone's badly trained dog got on than a worn out one.
>>
>>5920327
If you go for the minifee I'd be highly interested on chipping in to get the event elf head.
>>
>>5921111
I almost thought this was a real room
>>
>>5921111
10/10 for authentic dog piss and Coke stains.
>>
>>5920333
>>5920266
>>5920263
>>5920254
Okay so I'm doing some write ups now (to avoid assessments lbr)

And I'm wondering what you'd consider essential items in a BJD Beginners Box.
Things like hemostats/forceps, water soluble glue, magic erasers, pliers...
>>
>>5921178
Sorry anon, because it's one of their basic colors I didn't bother linking a model.

http://www.leekeworld.com/En/Product/p_view.asp?it_code=7218&B_catalog_num=88

Picked that one randomly.
You can see whisper blue as a choice at the top.
Just keep in mind that sometimes certain colors are sold-out for a model, but they re-stock them once in a while.
>>
looks like mirodoll's working on yet another 1/3 boy body.

>> a shame they can't be assed to fix their dolls' torso divisions or else this would've been passable
>>
>>5921818

my bad, i meant 1/4
>>
>>5921555
Those are great suggestions for beginners stuff. Maybe even poster tack for eye putty or thin shoelaces to aid with stringing too (though I find my string puller a godsend)

If anons pull this YouTube stuff off, it'll go into the OP/guides in the future.

If you are going to do this, I would honestly use a different account than your personal one with a different e-mail address so you won't get immediately witch-hunted for being associated with this omgsoedgyscarysite, since Tumblr is irrational by nature.
>>
>>5921828
I totally had blu tac written down, but stuff for pulling sting is a great idea.
[i totally need an ACTUAL string puller though, dyou have any recommendations on where to get one coz the only place I can think of is Luts, but irrc, and theyre always sold out]

I hope I can pull it off, I've been planning since it's been mentioned
[at about 45 video's planned thus far].

>different e-mail address so you won't get immediately witch-hunted
Ahh I didn't think of that. I set up an account separately to my main one already. I don't really have a problem with people knowing I frequent 4chan, but if people start kicking up a massive stink, it'd be a pain
I'm too lazy to deal with that crap.
New channel it is, though really, considering it'll probably have voice over / my dolls in it, it won't be too hard to figure out who I am |D
>>
File: tumblr_oahg6gsHV11th7cduo3_1280.jpg (412KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oahg6gsHV11th7cduo3_1280.jpg
412KB, 1200x1600px
>>5921852
I got mine through LUTS back in the stone age. Companies should really consider keeping them in stock because I love mine. It does do pretty much the same job as a shoestring would, but I can at least get a better grip on it.
It looks like Volks Int. store has them in stock! There is a possibility the US store has them, but I haven't checked.
>https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0030&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&category=D08&btnkensaku&q=Stringing%20Tool&kensu&version=en

Yeah, I feel you. I don't care so much about being "exposed" as being a big bad anon on /bjd/, but I know of quite a few anons that have popular shops on here. It's so fucking dumb, because we seem (to me at least) to not be as passive aggressive toward each other. We're not rays of sunshine by any means, but we don't particularly live in fantasyland either.
>>
>>5921866
Darn you Luts, they're so important for collectors to have but o m g finding them is a pain. Thanks for the link :)

Exactly, it's like.. just seems like a bunch of realists.
I dont talk here very often, but I like seeing people be.. chill? If that makes sense. There's a lot of drama or mollycoddling elsewhere so... /shrug/
I actually wish I weren't such a little bitch and posted my own stuff here.
Rambling. I'm making video stuff as we speak LOL
>>
>>5921818
Looks like a scaled down exact copy of the 66cm body. Lazy...
>>
>>5921873

Eh I don't think tumblr will give a fuck if you post here. The only 'witch hunt that ever happened here was when botflybaby posted here during a doa contest to shit talk the competition and maybe with fluffytank fairy who is pos anywhere he goes.

As long as you don't use /bjd to spout hardcore /pol opinions you should be fine. And if anyone is dumb enough to say a bunch of storm front shit with their dolls picture attached to it they deserve what they get.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (25KB, 238x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
25KB, 238x400px
>that terribly sculpted nose

It's shaped like something a child would sculpt in play-do.
>>
File: se7.jpg (391KB, 758x1136px) Image search: [Google]
se7.jpg
391KB, 758x1136px
I like how this picture came out.
>>
>>5922187
I like it for the most part, but the arms look awkward because her hand blends into the other arm.

Very Yuko from xxxHolic vibes, though. She just needs a ridiculously long hime wig.

>new twist: Yuko gets tired of shopkeeping and becomes Office-chan.
>>
File: thankyoumissskeletal.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
thankyoumissskeletal.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
anyone else see this on the doll profiles thing on DOA? kek
>>
>>5921971
>implying everyone else wasnt shit talking and posting examples from that train wreck too

she only got called out because she placed in a competition and a salty anon saw an opportunity to try to make drama when she replied to a picture posted here by saying it was hers (therefore "proving" it was her posting here.)
>>
File: DD.png (702KB, 479x712px) Image search: [Google]
DD.png
702KB, 479x712px
Does anyone know if the BJD panels at AWA are good?
>>
>>5921556
Well look at that, I just couldn't get the hang of navigating the site. I'm a dumbass. Thanks anon! I'll post a picture when my Miku gets her new wig.
>>
>>5921113
10/10 did laugh

>>5921316

I've tried this and I'm running into problems. The fabric is a microfiber? which is a little like a short pile fur or a suede, sandpaper doesn't seem to have any effect on it within a reasonable time. I actually took the dremel to it thinking that would help and it just sort of 'softened' up the fur. It feels nicer there than where I didn't touch. It was a Joanns rement I bought because it felt like a shitty couch. Stiff and slightly sticky.
>>
>>5921971
I really doubt I'd be massively vindictive if I started posting here more frequently. Too lazy for that.

Unrelated; I'm looking to order a pair of silicone eyes for an eventual eye comparison video, and have actually no idea where to buy them. I'm all about that urethane life.
Any recommendations?
>>
>>5918692
go for the black one!
>>
>>5923711
I thiiink back in the days people got them from Safrin eyes?

Just don't make the mistake to clean them with fabric (like rubbing eye on your shirt), they are dust magnets.
Glad I don't own a pair anymore.
>>
File: 20150617035351cont.jpg (214KB, 546x1762px) Image search: [Google]
20150617035351cont.jpg
214KB, 546x1762px
>>5923768
I do like the volks black one, but all those belt straps might make him look like a mummy and look inappropriate for the office.

I'm considering a dark or black suit thru Freedom Teller perhaps. Their suit cutting looks a bit too slim in the pictures tho.
And they also have some items that OL-chan desperately needs also, like a nice black trench coat.
>>
File: 8341181286_df2c614d62_o.jpg (72KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
8341181286_df2c614d62_o.jpg
72KB, 800x600px
>>5923358
No problem, anon.
Lots of other wig sellers have listings per color (like For my Doll, and in some cases Crobi); Leeke does it differently.
Hope you enjoy the Whisper Blue, even if it's not 100% like the Winter wig (still sad the Angel Blue was limited, would have been a great match).
>>
>>5923818
where is that pale turquoise wig from?
>>
>>5923875
They are all Leeke wigs.
The Pale Turquoise is also one of their standard colors.
Next to regular blonde, brown and black shades they also have five pastel colors: pale turquoise, whisper blue, peach pink, pink cocktail, lavender rose.

Rest is either limited/seasonal only (but can often be bought through their premium membership) or only for certain wig models (like the art wigs, which are usually colored with pastels).

As far as I remember someone on the DD forum had a premium membership in the past.
It's cool when you buy a lot from Leeke and dig their limited colors, but it's expensive as fuck.
In our local forum we had the membership for two years, everyone paid a little part, and in the end it wasn't really worth it.
Still didn't get rid of the doll we got from Leeke (you pay for the membership but get something of equal value back from them in form of dolls/parts/wigs).
>>
>>5923977
thankyou
I had a few of their LE wigs my favorite is this long hime cut wig from a winter event. I like leekeworld wigs more so for my larger dolls, but always run out of the colors i want.
>>
File: 459841985.jpg (21KB, 480x385px) Image search: [Google]
459841985.jpg
21KB, 480x385px
>>5921111
What the fuck anon, is your doll room a fucking trap house? If so then I guess good job.
>>
>>5924678
I was going for a punk house kind of vibe. These OC donuts live in an old abandoned warehouse in a post-apoc setting. Someone pointed out I need more graffiti for that though I'm afraid to airbrush on those walls my control isn't great
>>
>>5924773
Have you looked into graffiti paint pens?
>>
>>5924776
this, they work great for shit like that
>>
>>5922760
Only one way to find out. But in all seriousness, it will be my first time going and I don't want it to be devoid of fellow doll collectors...
>>
>>5917008
>Thunderbird Fantasy is puppets. Not BJDs.
Not that I'm really qualified to speak on the subject, but they seemed like modified BJDs to me. How do you know they aren't?
>>
>>5925023
GO AWAY, THUNDERFAG
>>
>>5925023
Because some of us watched the making-of videos.

They are not modified BJDs, they are sculpted for the show and have parts/mechanisms BJDs don't have.
Like the moving mouth piece, eyelids and the fact their head is already attached to a neck piece (like on many 1/6 dolls).
They also seem to be carved out of wood and then just get painted a flesh color.
https://youtu.be/8_Y4pBL51Xk?t=11m16s

I don't know how exactly their bodies look like (wasn't able to find them undressed yet), but I doubt they have full BJD bodies and instead they faked underneath the layer of clothes, for more movement and freedom.
BJDs CAN pose well, but they can't pose that smoothly.

The show is good, and from a technical side really mind blowing.
Lots of practical effects instead of CGI, and the movement of the characters is well made.

So, they are aesthetically close to BJDs (especially the ones from chinese companies), but they are definitely puppets

(also not sure if OP did it on purpose,but the asian one is Thunderbolt Fantasy, Thunderbirds was the old US show)
>>
>>5923818
Yeah, definitely see what you mean. Angel Blue would have been a much closer match but I'm still happy to have a wig that is much less valuable than the official one so I won't be too scared of messing it up to play with it. I don't mind the colour being slightly off, might even experiment with some other pastel colours and have fun with her.
>>
>>5922600
I the thumbnail on that one and cringed, but close up, it could be worse I guess.

>>5923711
Soom has silicon eyes. Masterpiece were the silicon go-to eyes back in the stone age, but they aged horribly.

I liked Soom's eyes before they got really lazy with them. Like... they'd have some pretty actual dimensional iris in there instead of the flat "print-out" style they have now. Let's not get started on the chunky glitter vomit stuff in their older MDs (though the finer glitter ones are nicer) that were recently revived.

The thing I hate the most about silicon eyes are getting them to stay in. It takes a miracle from god to find the right poster tack that will adhere them to the doll's eyewells.

I do prefer urethanes all day, though.

>>5925083
>(also not sure if OP did it on purpose,but the asian one is Thunderbolt Fantasy, Thunderbirds was the old US show)
Haha, OP here. It was not intentional, but my brain's been derp for a while. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Pretty uncanny for two different puppet shows having Thunder-b__ in their titles.

If people want toys of them so badly, they're making Thunderbolt Fantasy Nendoroids. If you want to customize your own dolls to look like the characters, cool. You can share them here. But as far as us knowing how they work/what they're made of/etc. - you're going to have to google that shit like the rest of us, because we specialize in dolls, not puppets.
>>
File: garnet.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
garnet.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
>>5920022
>"do three eyed people have three eyebrows? how do they wear glasses?" to "how do sunglasses for a cyclops look like?"
>>
>>5925045
does bjd not like this show or what.
>>
>>5926689
Bjd like or dislike that show is beside the point.
The show is not about bjds.
Thus does not beling here.
>>
>>5926246
Please god yes give me a Garnet BJD
>>
>>5926689
Its less that we dont like it and more that we're overly fed up with being asked where to buy puppets or how to modify a bjd into one, when we straight up do not know.
>>
>>5926246
I had to google her without glasses, but she still has a very specific design that does not need to apply to every three eyed character.
Her hair frames her face/forehead, which makes the big ass glasses work.
Do you ever see if she has ears?
How do the glasses sit on them?
Or is it like with Arthur who wears glasses who magically stay up while his ears are on the top of his head?

The sunglasses question is still not answered, because she's not a cyclops.
However, not a discussion for this place here anyway.

>>5926794
Someone on Tumblr made a Pearl, looks like shit.

>>5926181
>If people want toys of them so badly, they're making Thunderbolt Fantasy Nendoroids.

I am actually surprised none of the chinese BJD companies have jumped on it yet.
I could imagine Angell-Studio for them, since they already did chinese licensed characters and the overall aesthetic is totally theirs.
>>
File: CyGirl.png (124KB, 676x728px) Image search: [Google]
CyGirl.png
124KB, 676x728px
>>5927032
>Do you ever see if she has ears?
I don't recall seeing her ears at any point in my avid rewatching.

But regardless, glasses as a whole don't function without ears. They would have to be bevelled in the middle to maintain the function of sitting atop the nose and against the eyes. There would be one piece of glass rather than two.. Anyway.

On that topic, are there glasses out there that aren't bulky pieces of shit or printed on clear plastic laminate things?
>>
>>5926794
I think Kayke made a custom three-eyed Coffee that someone made into a Garnet that...doesn't really look like Garnet.

In fact, the three or so BJDs I've seen based off of Steven Universe characters have only very basic design elements in common with their source characters.
>>
>>5927713
Trying to find it, being sadly reminded of how poorly finished Coffee's are.

I will make a proper one. With a nice doll.
>>
File: 1467095086161.png (133KB, 530x710px) Image search: [Google]
1467095086161.png
133KB, 530x710px
>body isn't even really designed to look erotic just spooky
>somehow the hottest pair of hips i've seen in my lifetime at least in the thin category
>>
File: tumblr_o9zdjxIojs1rascg6o6_540.jpg (50KB, 540x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9zdjxIojs1rascg6o6_540.jpg
50KB, 540x600px
>>5928027
>>5927713
I have the pic saved, but I'll confess I don't know whose Coffee it is, nor have I seen a finished version.

>>5929284
Don't forget the puffy vulva. But yeah, I love DC bodies, spoop and all.
>>
>>5929284
I have the same body. It's the sexiest female doll body I've ever seen in my entire life. In person, it's even sexier. The thighs are thick, toned, and delicious. The calves are muscular and sexy as shit. Love to rub my hands all over them. It has a fantastic ass too. Fuck! I love Doll Chateau.
I could go on and on about the male body too. I get waves of orgasm just by looking at it.
>>
File: walleyedfreak.png (647KB, 674x674px) Image search: [Google]
walleyedfreak.png
647KB, 674x674px
What do you guys think of Red Iris Atelier's faceups?(AngstyPenguin on youtube and instagram)
I personally can't stand to look at her work. Every doll she touches end up looking gross and five shades darker than the original color.
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 500x700px
is batchix any good?
>>
File: 16278394451_c37d53d6ea_o.jpg (353KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
16278394451_c37d53d6ea_o.jpg
353KB, 800x600px
>>5929720
That one is actually pretty mellow?
As in, not glaringly bad, just your usually "meh" stuff, that is neither good nor bad.
At least that one here looks clean and isn't crusty, just lacking experience.

I checked the DoA commission subforum today, to get a feeling how much to charge.
Pic related shocked me, because 50 bucks for that?
That's how my beginner stuff looked like years ago.
And she has customers too, wtf.

Cases like that makes it really hard to get a feeling for a price.
Either she's asking too much or others not asking enough.
>>
>>5929751
*usual

>>5929742
Depends, anon.
I have one of those robot girl (face in the middle, but in white), and she's a cute thing.
Posing is meh, mostly because she doesn't have a lot of joints and the ones she has aren't that mobile.
You can tell from the picture already, she has a knee joint but a barely usable ankle joint.
The base of her hand is so fat you can't move it much.
Chest joint just sits on the stomach and doesn't have much space to move around.

She's well casted though and as said, pretty cute.
Can't say much about her other dolls, but her dolls aren't shit and well finished.
Only issues might be posing and the stylized look.
>>
>>5929742
I have her Lagoon, and I like her posing abilities a lot? Very solid resin and absurdly cute.
>>
>>5929755
I just ordered a head. Actually I might have ordered one years ago but moved and amnesia lol. What are the heads like? Do I need a wig?
>>
>>5929751
Christ, there's red pastel smeared all over the lower face. I wonder if the decent artists are also skilled at other things, and have left the hobby for more lucrative things. Leaving a gap filled by pure beginners.
>>
>>5929751
That face is atrocious. I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for it.
Maybe they get customers because of status? Like Pintsizedpalace has horrible faceups but once she got regular shout outs from more popular people, she started getting more popular, and therefore more customers despite her skills being utter trash and poor creativity.
>>
File: 35435438631.jpg (40KB, 798x532px) Image search: [Google]
35435438631.jpg
40KB, 798x532px
>>5929762
Mine does wear a wig.
She can actually wear those really well made fashion doll wigs, which is cool because there are lots of styles for them out there (and in nice colors too).
Mine also came with the helmet and kitty ears, but the helmet looked weird.

The heads are, hm, pretty basic?
You can see on the pic that they don't have that much depth, but there are cute little robot faces so it works.
Can be very nicely painted and the resin is good.

The heads are pretty small though, what body do you plan for yours?

>>5929770
Some have opened up to other doll communities (you can get more money with Blythe or selling Pullip customs), most are just burned out.
Lots of the good ones have painted commissions for years and now more and more want to go back to painting for themselves only.
If you get into the whole commission thing it's hard to get out of it again.

I'm in the same position, I like painting for others, because I get to do things I like doing but don't like seeing on my own dolls...and I get to see dolls without having to buy them.
But it's not worth the money, because you can never ask a comfortable price anyway.

I don't think we should have something like Blythe prices, where people blush a face and ask 150$ for it and want extra for eyebrows and lashes.
But spending 15+ hours painting a face, carefully painting details with a brush, staring at a small head for hours, painting dozens of heads to gain experience etc. while dealing with MSC fumes and material costs is not worth getting paid 2 bucks an hour.

It's only BJDs that are so cheap, I personally blame the cost of default face-ups for that.
Other communities don't have that, you get the doll either blank or completely factory finished with some mass-produced, simple paint job.
It's pretty much expected that you have to fork over a little more to get something custom.
A BJD you can buy with a hand made, detailed face-up for 60$ straight from the company.
>>
>>5929804
I have no idea what to use, maybe I'll lurk and find something obscure but fitting. I've always loved the Eta face and remembered about them a while ago and wanting one for the longest time. Maybe Delta later too. Thanks for the tips.
>>
File: KHAAAAAAAAN.jpg (67KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
KHAAAAAAAAN.jpg
67KB, 600x900px
I know it was discussed in the last thread, but holy shit, Mr. Dollshe...

The more I look at this thing, the worse it gets.
This is like early BishounenHouse derp and dongs.
>>
>>5929922
The one with closed mouth looks even more like Bishonenhouse back then.

He actually changed the neck on the Fashion Doll version, but it still looks bad.

Also, did you guys see how much stuff he released all at once?
Vampire dude, Vampire fashion dude, several celebrity dolls...on top of that he still has lots of 18M orders to full fill and all the other old ones.
Was the King Corey shipped out by now?!
Arsene?
I just saw people finally got their Rosa girls, and he released them a year ago.
>>
>>5929922
>Dollstown discontinues all their fishlipped dolls
>Dollshe puts out slackjawwed dolls to compensate
>>
>>5929770
> I wonder if the decent artists are also skilled at other things, and have left the hobby for more lucrative things. Leaving a gap filled by pure beginners.
I think a lot of it is that the decent artists are skilled- not just at art, but in the business of selling art/commissions. Would YOU want to deal with the average bjd customer for $50-$80? I sure as fuck wouldn't. The best faceup artist in my local comm refuses to accept commissions. She will only work on her own dolls, and one time she did an exchange with a member who is skilled with making furniture. The point that I'm getting at that it seems that only the pure beginners are making themselves accessible, and everyone else is either 1) way too smart to deal with the average bjd owner or 2) just not accessible to the majority of bjd owners.
>>
>>5929788
Pintsizedpalace's shit is so atrocious. I have no idea how you can realistically look at that doll and think to yourself "yeah this looks good."

Also apparently she's bff with denaliwind?
>>
>>5930451
>Looks at the doll
> "This resembles another shit artist's work so it must be good."
> ???
> "yeah this looks good."
>>
File: cancer.png (1MB, 1016x714px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
1MB, 1016x714px
>>5930451
Yeah I don't really understand how they became bffs all of a sudden. Pintsizedpalace flew all the way to meet with Denali Wind and stayed at her place.
>>
>>5930505
I'm just confused because they didn't even seem that close. But whatever I guess.
>>
>>5929742
I'm not the biggest fan. You can tell the leg joints wont support good posing because of how they're built. Which is a shame. I'd love a cute robot mini. But i also really don't like her facial sculpting skills.

>>5929751
It's people like this who make me reluctant to start faceup commissions.
Like, I would say that my skills at linework are a little higher, but not worth 50 bucks. How can they be okay with selling low quality work? Kind of embarrassing.

>>5930451
They're so tacky and cheap ugh...
>>
File: SAM_4927.png (629KB, 980x700px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4927.png
629KB, 980x700px
>>5930254
>Would YOU want to deal with the average bjd customer for $50-$80?

As someone who doesn't charge that much, there are many times I wish my prices would be in that range just to make up for the shit some people put you through. I have no idea if it's just my luck, but the commissioners I had have always either been amazing saints or nightmarish hellspawn.
>>
>>5930254
>Would YOU want to deal with the average bjd customer for $50-$80?

Forgot that when I wrote my post about how how you can't ask for a comfortable price.

Painting can be exhausting due to numerous reasons.
Customers are the worst though.
Unlike other anon I gladly mostly had really great customers, lots of them were friends though or otherwise people I already knew somehow, and I also do the "trade with other skilled artists" thing.

But once in a while you get that demon in customer form, that usually leads to a) price increase or b) stricter/more rules.

I always ask people about the state of their stuff, once got in a head claimed to be "a little dirty".
Turned out the head was crusty, stained, and looked like they tried to clean it with steel wool.
I had to work on that head for hours before I was even able to add any paint to it.
Back then I was a friendly newb, so I didn't even charge her for that.
Now I state in my thread that if something is not as described I will not paint it.

If you are a dick/I know you might mean trouble, I will decline because of reasons.
In some cases I quote a huge price (most people don't want just a basic face-up from me, and except for that everything else in my thread is 'needs to be discussed' price-wise) to make up for the headache they will probably cause, or to scare them away.
Basically a "I don't like you" fee.

Am still glad that most of my customers were great.
Unfortunately you still get that odd one inbetween that destroys it for everyone else.
And getting pestered daily, not getting paid, having to deal with someone who changes their mind and can't accept you can't just change that face-up, blackmailing, people saying they love your work just to turn around and whine in front of their friends how unhappy they are (bonus points if they lie about how you totes didn't do what they wanted, even if they confirmed every step before sealing) is totally not worth painting a tiny doll head for hours for 50$.
>>
>>5930881
>I have no idea if it's just my luck, but the commissioners I had have always either been amazing saints or nightmarish hellspawn.

Where are you based anon?
I have artist friends all across the globe, and I always had the feeling the US based ones had to deal with a lot more shit.
I blame it on their screwed 'customer is always king' mentality.
I personally can't say much because I'm in the EU and customs are such a hassle I don't accept commissions from abroad.
Only got one US customer and she buys dolls in the EU and lets them ship to me for painting before I send them to her.
>>
>>5930853
Pint is ridiculously cheap, but at least they dont have recasts, i guess.
They made a youtube video about cheap dolls and all I could think the whole time was how low quality they are.
>>
>>5930912
Asian here, anon. Only deal with local clients too for the same reason.

While I have seen many a horror show from US artists I follow because of that same sense of entitlement, I feel like the bad eggs I got are a product of our third-world mentality of 'if it's here, it should be cheap'. I already charge much lower than other local artists, but I still get people trying to haggle or asking for other freebies. If they're not cheap in that way, they're cheap in the way that they just want the company faceup and don't understand why you won't replicate that exact faceup for them.

And if it's not because they're cheap, they just your pick of poor reading comprehension or are too lazy to read or remember what you tell them, then turn around and flip out because they didn't understand something right.

I mean, the good customers for sure outnumber the bad ones. It just that the bad ones are the ones that really drive you off the deep end sometimes.
>>
Is there any other good eye modder besides nomyens?
Thinking I want an extreme eye widening with the upper and lower lids on a head and not sure I trust my own skill to do it.
>>
File: sora07.jpg (29KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
sora07.jpg
29KB, 400x533px
So I have an SD Cute Sora I'm thinking of selling.
I'm not really that much into BJD so I have no idea where to sell her or what price I can ask for.
Anyone can give me some tips?
>>
>>5930944
Ah, the other type of entitlement.

On one side you have those people who think that because they give you money they basically own you and expect you better kiss their feet for it.

On the other side you have people with zero feeling what some things costs and who are too lazy to do it themselves but still demand others to do it for cheap for them.

>I mean, the good customers for sure outnumber the bad ones. It just that the bad ones are the ones that really drive you off the deep end sometimes.

True.
I have twenty nice customers and then this one comes along who just makes you want to call it a day and flip the bird to everyone.
As other anon said, just the thought of having to deal with your usual BJD owner for such a low amount of money is already unpleasant.
No surprise more and more people can't bother anymore.
>>
>>5930982
From your description that sounds like a very basic mod?
You basically just want the sides to be sanded so the eyes look wider?

If that's the case, lots of people offer simple eye mods.
Most just don't open sleeping eyes.
Look for an artist you like who works clean and precise and offers mods at all.
Maybe ask lightlybattered?
>>
File: Spoopy.jpg (89KB, 1000x488px) Image search: [Google]
Spoopy.jpg
89KB, 1000x488px
>>5931595
Well I want the open eye size probably doubled I think, and the inner eye divot they put carved out because it doesn't fit 'muh aesthetic'.
I feel like it would be easy to fuck up that much removal if the person isn't good/experienced. . .
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 537x854px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 537x854px
Is it bad I want to put the head on this type of body? The grey would match well with the blue.
>>
>>5931864
So you basically want big ass eyes?
I fear they might look bad no matter who does the mod, because this might be one of those cases in which the mock-up looks okay, but in reality it will just look totally off.

Anyway, just pick anyone who works clean and precise, you can't fuck up much there.
Just don't get one of those Tumblr kiddies who usually do that type of eye mod (i.e. huge af eyes on a small head), since they tend to be a little too trigger happy and go full cutting since "you take away a lot of resin anyway!" to them means why not go full hacking on the eyes.

>>5931878
You are the Batchix person, right?
I'm not sure if the neck isn't too thick. even my Soom YoSDs have a thicker neck than my Batchix girl.
Heck, I think the head is so small it might fit onto a Pullip neck.
>>
File: image.png (904KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
904KB, 640x1136px
>>5931906
Hmmm... It could work? I wanna aim for something like this.
>>
>>5931878
The neck is pretty thin, but you should double check the neck measurements on both of the dolls to see if they're close. DC K-body necks are really thin but get thicker the closer they are to the head. It is actually thin enough to fit a Volks YoSD head on with a couple of mm to spare. I would take pictures, but I would have to swap out S-hooks between my DC and YoSD and it would be a lot of work right now without an extra set of hands as insurance in case a string gets loose.
>>
>>5930881
Is that your work anon?
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you charge?

For that matter, would any other faceup artists here mind divulging how much they charge per faceup?
>>
>>5931994
>For that matter, would any other faceup artists here mind divulging how much they charge per faceup?

I'm actually quite curious about this as well.
>>
Does anyone know what is the deal with this Cat Lutz bitch? I remember her from about a year ago but haven't heard anything since.
Her name has been all over BJD Confessions and I'm curious.
>>
>>5930505
Oh god, having her dolls right next to Denali's just amplifies how dog shit they look. How can someone be so daft.
>>
>>5931864

Just buy a different head. Seriously. Aren't there other MNF heads that look like that with bigger eyes? you're going to get a fucked up head.
>>
>>5931994
my shop is closed but I charged $60
>>
>>5931864
this will look hideous. just buy a doll with bigger eyes.
>>
I just bought a Limwha mono. I am now swearing off new dolls for 1 year. The only exception would be if Volks were to release the MDD/DDp Anzu I've been dreaming of.
>>
>>5931928
As said, the neck hole is really, really small.
Just checked, the one from the Mini Machinas is 4cm, the neck of this body is 5.5cm.
The head will just float on top of the neck and the neck will not go into the neck hole.
You would need to sand away quite a big chunk of resin before the head might fit onto the neck.

As said, the Mini Machina's neck is thinner than regular YoSD ones.

>>5931994
>>5932493
Not that anon, but other face-up shop anon.
I work with acrylics and have painted dolls since 2009, my style is close to Pearls of Danube and similar (i.e., detailed eyebrows, long lashes, multicolored blushing, medium realistic) and I work pretty clean (i.e. neither lazy dirty like Kayke nor deliberate 'artsy painting' look like Marlequeen).

I asked 45$ for a basic face-up, but a few months ago I asked my customers what they think my stuff should be priced at.
All agreed it should be higher, to my surprise, I'm now at 70$ for a natural, normal face-up.
Everything else costs extra, depending on how difficult it is.

Was also necessary because I was closed for a long time and I wanted to filter out the crazies when I re-opened.
Helped a lot.
I'm also in a pretty good situation because next to me there are only four other active artists in my country, three of them have your usual Andreja pencil look without her cleanliness, the fourth one only makes messy, artsy stuff and is too lazy to properly finish mods for her customers.
So if you want something that isn't a cute pencil MNF or a messy mod you need to come to me.
And people in my country are very afraid to ship out stuff abroad.
>>
>>5931864
that mod will fucking look shit regardless of who mods it.
>>
>>5932947
Thanks for that, I'd like to start a shop at some point as well but am having trouble picking a starting price that doesn't undercut me... too greatly, and doesn't intimidate potential customers..
I'm in a similar position with not many face up artists in my country.
>>
File: image.jpg (7KB, 281x116px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7KB, 281x116px
>>5931967
Judging by this neck would it be a good size? I looked up other sources and came with a size of 6 cm. The height without a head is 22 cm.
>>
>>5930451
>>5930505
>>5930625

So I tried watching that video where pintsize opens her gifts from Denali and let me just say she came off super ungrateful to me. That part where she just carelessly shoved the Blythe wig back in its plastic bag made me wince, but that's just me because I care about my doll shit than her. Besides that, she just tosses things around once she's done examining them and I could tell Denali felt uncomfortable lmao

And who the fuck just messages someone, asking if they can visit your place so instantaneously? Apparently her "birthday gift" was to meet Denali irl and they haven't even known each other for 3 months. Denali's even at fault here for being unwary. If I got that kind of request from a stranger I'd get the fuck away and block them.
>>
>>5932884
Different anon, same story
>>
>>5932699
I have heard a lot of talk about her scamming people. I have done two transactions with her, and she is a NIGHTMARE layaway customer. It doesn't help that she types like a developmentally challenged six year old.
>>
File: tumblr_oe2vz9VYrS1rascg6o2_1280.jpg (674KB, 864x1296px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oe2vz9VYrS1rascg6o2_1280.jpg
674KB, 864x1296px
WTF even is this, Kayke?
>>
to all the faceup artists here, Ihave a noob question: why does it take so much time to make a faceup? I know that there is a bit of dry time for msc layers and some special faceups can a bit more complicated, but why does it take DAYS to make a basic faceup?
>>
>>5933103
Apparently it was supposed to look like it was laughing but those eyebrows are so....unemotive?
>>
>>5933118
It takes me between 2-5 hours. Some artists take 10 or more for detailed faces.

It's not the actual faceup that takes days, it's a combination of the weather, the will, and the communication with the client.

So for example, if the weather is over 80% humidity for six days in a row, there's not a lot to be done about it. Some artists will risk sealing in high humidity, but most don't want people whining a week later that the MSC frosted or chipped because it makes them look bad.

Then, most artists don't do it for a living, so if you only have 5 hours free a night, you might not be able to do faceup work every night.

Then you might do a layer, but you don't have time to photograph it and ask for customer approval, so that takes another night.

Or maybe you're working on 10 head simultaneously, and it takes several nights, because yesterday was Blush day, and tomorrow night is Eyelash night. So only a little gets done on each head.

Really, it's not so much about the total time it takes to do the face as it is having the time and the weather in the right combination to work. If I know I only have two good hours a night before I start getting sloppy, I only work two hours.
>>
File: IMG_20160926_091328.jpg (144KB, 720x1044px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160926_091328.jpg
144KB, 720x1044px
I wonder if Denali is cringing at this. Wtf is that thick ass white mess under the eyebrow?
>>
File: asdfghjkl.png (3MB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
asdfghjkl.png
3MB, 1600x2000px
>>5931994
Yes. $10-15 because still new + third world prices.
>>
>>5933035
I agree she was so ungrateful. It was obvious she didn't care for the gift. I bet she'd rather have received an actual BJD for the same price instead.
Also, the look on Denali when Sarah manhandled her doll without her permission was priceless. That's what she gets for just agreeing to invite a sociopathic stranger to stay over.

On the other hand, I do feel bad for Denali. Even if she did block Sarah or disagreed for her to stay over, Sarah seems like the type of person to send her army of 12 year old fans to harass Denali online.

>>5933153
>Wtf is that thick ass white mess under the eyebrow?

It's supposed to be under-brow highlight. Except Sarah thinks people use cum to highlight their face as opposed to highlighter powder.
>>
All this talk of BJD youtube and I never realized how not-lucrative this shit was. I am involved in some non-hobby youtube, firneds with some non-bjd youtubers and even Denaliwind (who I guess is like the youtuber to know?) only has 1000 or so views on her videos. That is probably like 25 cents a video.

Andreja definitely makes some good money, though.
>>
>>5933173
Why do I feel like I've seen this style before... Do you perhaps own that cute trap from a few threads back?

>>5933184
Yeah, I feel bad for Denali, but really, I just think she's being nice so Sarah'll go away eventually.

On another note, I made a mistake of buying from April Story (even though I've been advised to stay away from them) and now 6 months have passed and my bods aren't here. It's bull cuz I'm over the window for the PP claim. The Classy Doll girl body I ordered is atrocious that I'm not even sure if it's even worth modding it look better.
>>
File: nf.jpg (12KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
nf.jpg
12KB, 320x320px
>>5932857
>>5932885
Honestly, I really just want this one limited 2014 head with big ass eyes New Family but can't find anyone selling one for less than $300.
Modding one with a similar mouth seemed more reasonable in the end but perhaps it is not to be.
>>
>>5933184
I just don't even know what they have in common besides dolls in general? It's so obvious that they have a totally different aesthetic and Denali is more into Blythe's now anyway. Hm.
>>
>>5933258

You'd honestly have an easier time modding open the mouth slightly. What about a minifee Rin instead?

That said you should just suck it up and pay the money for the head. It will be cheaper in the long run than modifying a doll, not liking it, and buying another... possibly getting stuck with some weirdly modded head.
>>
>>5933258
i saw someone selling it for $270 on DOA but yeah, that head is really over priced, its inexplicably in high demand. she looks similar to chloe to me, so maybe you could mod a chloe instead.
>>
File: 337684786.png (895KB, 797x637px) Image search: [Google]
337684786.png
895KB, 797x637px
>>5933118
Other anon already mentioned all the stuff that delays finishing a commission, but this is not how long the actual painting part takes.
That one can vary greatly from artist to artist and depends on how careful you are, how detailed you work, what materials you use.

Take Kayke for example.
She does a basic layer of blushing and rushes through every head, which means you get dirt on them, messy paint splotches and it just looks careless.
She probably needs less than 10 hours for a face-up.
She also tends to work in batches, i.e. she gives lots of heads a round of blushing at the same time.

Then you have artists who do a lot of very careful blushing.
They use several shades and colors and blush/texturize pretty much everything to add depth and achieve realism.
That blushing part alone can take hours, when you want a good looking and smooth result.
Afterwards they carefully paint each lash and eyebrow hair, one by one, instead of just blushing a base and painting five white lines as eyebrow.
If you already have ~40 tiny hairs per eyebrow and need to paint each one at least twice it's just normal you can't rush through a face-up.
You also need to wipe away some things inbetween,or just sit back and look at the head for a moment.

It's weird, at least in my case I actually got slower the better I got.
Back in the past I was proud when I got a head in the morning and had it already finished and packed up by dinner.
I'm slow nowadays, but I also put in a lot more care and it just looks better because of that.
More experience made me realize I need to walk that extra mile.

It's pretty much like any other painting thing too. Sitting down and painting a watercolor piece takes hours too, even if the sketch is already there and ready to be colored. Some people need hours to paint their nails.

(I honestly think though most artists don't really know how long they work at something, time tends to run when you paint)
>>
>>5933103
You know, this is another one of her "could have great potential, if she'd try something different for once" customs.

Like, you could make a super cool jester out of this.
Exaggerate the smile with paint on the sides, give it angled eyebrows, some cool make-up.
But nope, as usual dark brown eyebrows, big ass eyeliner and black/white/pink blushing and glitter.
Why bother making the sculpt look different just to paint it like every other head that went through your door in the last two years?
>>
>>5933233
Ah, yeah, that sounds like me. Did I post faceup photos though? My trap's cute face isn't by me, since I can't paint pretty faceups just yet.
>>
File: 1435727977_m.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1435727977_m.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>5933103
she's such a thief.
>>
>>5932987
Going off >>5932947 since I do not own a Mini Machina, I would say it would look goofy. We're not talking about the height or anything, but the circumference of the neck.

>>5933103
Okay, I actually like the eyebrows on this one, but it's like she fucked up on paint distribution on the chin near the mole. The lips are also horribly uneven. Now that I keep looking at it, the eyebrows are the ONLY good part about this faceup, and they don't even fit in with the "theme" because they are more on the natural end, rather than the glamourvomit end Kayke is fond of.
>>
>>5933103
Eventually, every faceup artist will have the hubris to try and make the Unoa O face into something other than an orgasm face. And they will fail every time.
>>
>>5929565
>The thighs are thick
>thick
>that body
anon
>>
>>5933233
I wanted an April Story until I saw its owner photos and realized how heavily shooped the company photos were.

I also feel really suspect every time a company goes over 3 months for delivery. They can't be that ridiculously backlogged. It's not really that big a hobby once you start dealing with dolls more expensive than Bobobie/miro minis.
>>
>>5934376
Their resin is garbage too.
It feels like cheap plastic and a lot of the channels aren't drilled out properly so you run the risk of cutting the elastic if you tug on it too much.

My fiancee and I got the 2 for 1 deal and ended up selling everything shortly after.
>>
>>5934376
>>5934519
Man, this is really kind of disappointing. I just ordered something from them since I loved the doll I got from them 2 years ago. Had no idea they'd gone to shit.
>>
>>5933788
Oh, I didn't know another artist worked on her, but I've seen your work on ig... cuz I think I follow you there haha. Which leads me to my point; I'm from the same country(well, used to be), and I understand what you feel about cheap customers. Methinks it's not them being stingy, our country still doesn't know how to value art.

>>5934376
>>5934519
>>5934523

Yeah, their sculpting back when they were still Ariadoll was their best phase, now it's like they disregarded everything they know about anatomy. The new senior boy body looks horrendous with that thigh joint jutting out.

My longest wait was with LUTS, which is somewhat related because my first doll from them had pretty shooped pics. Took 5 months to ship and after unboxing it, I was pretty disappointed because it looked nothing like the promo pics (promo pics had cute, doe eyes and proportional face, IRL the nose is pretty much on the forehead and the eyes are obviously asymmetrical and almond shaped..). So yeah, this is why I don't trust companies that don't post blank shots anymore. Luckily, I sold the garbage head and replaced it with a cute event head I got from my next order lol

Back to April Story: I heard people who've ordered from Fantasia Doll haven't gotten their stuff in still, and it's been like, what, 6 months since they opened? It's not gonna clean their rep if they rebrand 100 times but keep repeating the same offenses.
>>
File: MIYO_002.jpg (550KB, 750x2278px) Image search: [Google]
MIYO_002.jpg
550KB, 750x2278px
the new zuzu is hideous. I usually like this line of doll, but this one looks like the byproduct of inbreeding.

I love the kimono though.

Where to buy cute clothes for my zuzu ?
>>
>>5934699
Closetchild tends to have a lot of used zuzu fullsets for ok prices. Or at least they did last I checked. That's all I know about them, though.

Here is the progress on my doll rooms. Below, the left wall still needs more painting, I need more red brick color (I'm using Apple Barrel Barn Red') and my foam board began to warm somewhat badly, maybe because it's a smaller piece? The upstairs needs painted so I'm apprehensive. They're supposed to be super contrast-y and I hope that shows through.
>>
>>5934651
Now I wonder if we know each other. Hahaha.

As I touched on in a previous post though, a large contributing factor is our culture and how we value (or rather devalue) things made locally. And not just art but anyou hand made craft, people think they can get for super cheap because why not?

It's an ingrained cultural stingy-ness that people seem to have to be taught not to do, unfortunately. It also doesn't help at all that other local doll hobbies (Barbies, Pullips, etc.) Allow that kind of thinking to continue on, so people from those hobbies come into the BJD hobby thinking it's the same shit.
>>
File: BKIlB5w.jpg (95KB, 769x1023px) Image search: [Google]
BKIlB5w.jpg
95KB, 769x1023px
>>5932987
Again, Mini machinas have a very small neck circumference of 4cm.
Anything bigger than that won't fit.
Their neck is very thin.

Here's a Mini Machina next to a FL Littlefee.
Littlefee have a 6cm neck circumference.

>>5934321
Naw, not true.
The ones who did horror stuff with them definitely did succeed, or crying faces.
However, giving it a regular face-up and trying to aim for something non-orgasm looking definitely does not work.

>>5934651
What, I didn't know April Story was Ariadoll.

I was one of those people who bought a doll during their first discount event.
Took four months, doll arrived all light and feeling weird.
He actually shed resin whenever you tried to pose him, and he didn't pose that well either.
He also had weird marbling on his face I had to clean off.

The whole Classydoll thing was weird too, and no surprise Fantasia Doll is not any better either.
No clue wtf they are doing.

Longest wait for me was Dollshe with 12 months.
First round of the "50% off, never going to be released ever again!!!1" sale he started 2010.
And now he wants to re-release Bermann.
Dude is crazy.
>>
>>5934788
Snorts, would you like me to DM you on ig just for the heck of it.

And yeeeah. I was pretty surprised to see how less local doll seamstresses charged over there, and I feel bad because I know their work is worth more than they're priced. Jack up the price and you lose customers, so you suck it up or sell your shit online and hopefully get an intl. audience.

Same can be said with the majority of American doll owners, that's why you see a lot of minifees looking like shit. They don't want to invest their money on nicer clothes/accessories because "they're just for dolls anyway". Not a lot of people get that these are luxury items so they all want a cheap way out just to feel ~*~speshul~*~.

>>5934797
Ariadoll became Classy Doll, which now became April Story no matter how hard they try to deny they're different companies. Same deal with Fantasia Doll lel

And that's extremely alarming. Some people even compared the surface texture to recast resin, which I've never handled myself but even that sounds bad. When I do get them in the mail (god knows when) I'll update the thread, along with what mods I'll probably do with the girl bod.

Oh boy, the karma I get for being a cheap ass.
>>
>>5934821
Wasn't Classy Doll the brand of the April Story Sculptor's student? I remember Classy Doll just coming about after April story already existed and that people would say it was just how Dollipop takes after Dollpamm.
>>
>>5934851
Oh really? I assumed it was the other way around, and have heard about Ariadoll turning into either company after they sold off their sculpts. Maybe they have still the same staff but new sculptors.
>>
>>5934851
April Story was indeed first, then Classy Doll.
Is Fantasia really in it too?
I remember that when I saw the faces I immediately thought of AS, but was there any proof for this?

I remember that AS was for a while pretty popular among Switch owners for hybrids.
The Senior body has this SD17 aesthetic (incl. the big ass weird hands).
However, that was before and during their first big discount sale.
I think nowadays lots of people know their stuff is shit, especially after the Classy Doll bodies turned out to be such a hot mess too.

I am just glad I never paid the full price for my guy back then.
I managed to sell the body, still have the head here and nobody interested in it.
>>
>>5934890
I could try and ask over at Fantasia if they're related to April Story in a way. That sculpting style is so familiar that they can't not be the same sculptor at least. Even the joints on the junior girl body (2016) look similar to the ones Fantasia has on their girls. April Story's old bodies looked so nice, now I just can't look at it when it's 90% veins.
>>
Yooo, anyone here ordered directly from Pipos before? I ordered a head from them recently, and I need part of it to get a body matched to it.

I can't find anything about their wait times aside from what's on their site, and frankly, I don't really trust companies to actually deliver within their estimated time frames anymore.
>>
>>5929755

>Chest joint just sits on the stomach and doesn't have much space to move around.

Is there something wrong with yours anon? Cause I'm holding my mini machina eta right now and the chest joint is literally the most mobil joint on this doll and has a serious range of motion. Suedeing the wrists is a must but once you do their fine. The ankle has no real motion but what would you expect from the way it looks.
>>
>>5934797
I wonder if they only use shitty resin during the "sale" periods, or if they even screw over the people who pay full price. I also wonder how soft it gets every time a faceup is wiped. This is ridiculous, because even the $25 practice head Chinese companies at least use resin that isn't awful.
>>
>>5934858
And they were Everpurple before Ariadoll. Same shit, different name.
>>
>>5935052
> is literally the most mobil joint on this doll and has a serious range of motion

Yeah, compared to the other joints, not compared to other dolls.
The posing is not downright horrible and awful, it's just not...great.
>>
>>5934821
If only to satisfy my curiosity, I'd say yes. You don't have to, of course. I'm really inquisitive that way.

I think it's slowly starting to get better, locally. If even by a tiny margin. People are starting to charge better than they did before with not that much push back. But you're only really safe from losing business if you're established. So when you aren't there yet, yes. It still is stay dirt cheap or have no work at all.
>>
>>5934821
I got an april story girl last year as well anon, and ever since then I have told everyone in the planet that is thinking about getting one, to not get one. The female bodies are awful at posing, like fucking terrible, and their peanut joints are shit. It takes so much effort to make them bend their knees and elbows. Like other people said they don't even clean the holes right and they have resin still stuck in the channels, which you have to manually clean. I heard the boy bodies are better, but I don't trust that at all after handling their female bodies, my doll couldn't even stand at all, all she could do was sit and she was even bad at that. On the plus side they are pretty, that's why I wanted one in the first place, I loved their long legs and nice hips and huge breasts, they had a very nice hourglass shape with model legs. I just wish they weren't so shit.

Also, have fun with how they are strung, and no, you cannot string them like you normally would, then their legs are impossible to maneuver. The S-hooks always get stuck in the peanut joints on the knees, making it impossible to make her knees bend right.
>>
With all the talk of hell-sent customers, as someone who sends my dolls out to be customized, how can I avoid being a bad customer?

I'm feeling a bit guilty because for the first time ever I didn't like the first faceup the artist did and they were kind enough to redo it, and while I'm in love with the revised one, I'm wondering if I'm a horror story to them.
>>
File: 6952934385_a5437280cd_b.jpg (214KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
6952934385_a5437280cd_b.jpg
214KB, 600x900px
>>5935759
Be polite, understand shit happens, don't be a dick, and know what you want, keep good communication and I think you are set. Same goes for the seller honestly, it is specially crucial to keep communication constant in between both parties, specially when they are constantly waiting for your approval to get shit done.

Honestly I think bad customers in the bjd hobby are not that bad and are pretty much a handful that you can easily deal with. But I have worked in customer service for over 10 years sooooo, for me bjd buyers are a walk in the park compared to actual in real life bullshit.
>>
>>5935778

>But I have worked in customer service for over 10 years sooooo, for me bjd buyers are a walk in the park compared to actual in real life bullshit.

Ditto. If a faceup artists considers redoing a faceup once 'entitlement' from a customer they have no business running a business.
>>
>>5934821
>>5935749
>>5934890

Did you guys get your dolls before or after 2015? I've got an AprilStory of my own and have handled quite a few of them, almost all made from 2012 to early 2015 and I've never experienced the poor resin quality mentioned here.

I mean don't get me wrong, the posing is shit, and the seams are sharp as hell, but those are the extent of the problems I've had with April Story dolls thus far, so I'm wondering when it all went to shit.

>>5935759
A revision is nothing. You're fine. The only way I could see the artist bitching about you is if they sent progress pics of the first one and you kept giving it the OK and saying you liked it, only to turn around near the end and say you didn't like all they've been doing til that point after all. Unless you led them on like that, you're fine.
>>
File: i hate my life.png (138KB, 2178x442px) Image search: [Google]
i hate my life.png
138KB, 2178x442px
Hey, I asked about my order and you cannot believe what they've responded back!!!!

Should I file a claim? It turns out I can still get my money back 'til November, and I'd rather get SWITCH bodies (which I'm an idiot for not buying in the first place). God dAMN y'all weren't wrong about them being shit all over.

>>5935749
I had a Sadol girl body last year and it had similar stringing with the April Story bodies, but she stood like a rock, and the legs would bend like how it should be. I think it's poor engineering, and how sloppy they've cleaned, or the lack of thereof, the channels that it's hindering a lot of movement.

>>5935980
Well I ordered Classy Doll bodies from their sale back in May this year, but I don't doubt the quality will be shit since AS is handling them now huh. Like what I said, I'll keep the thread updated if they stop dicking around with my shipment notice.
>>
>>5935804
>>5935980

I'm curious, because I'm wanting to make sure when I open up a shop I do it right, are revisions implied to be free?

Because it still seems like time and effort, basically another faceup, so if I were to redo a faceup completely because the customer was unsatisfied and I want them to be happy, am I a shitty artist for expecting some form of recompense for my time and materials?
>>
>>5936595
delayed shipping is par for the course for doll companies. especially when they've been spammed with requests. doll companies almost never seem to ship out dolls within the time frame stated on their sites. are you new to ordering dolls or something?
>>
>>5936670
if you state revisions are free you are opening yourself up to shit customers. and once something is sealed, revisions are impossible anyway, the whole head will have to be redone.

if you want to be nice, say if they dont like the faceup, then the first redo could be free, but if they continue to want changes, you will charge half of the faceup cost to do it over.

the way to avoid all that shit is that each layer you do, take pics and ask for it to be approved before you seal it, that way you CAN make changes or add things if they customer wants, without ruining the head trying to wipe just one little thing off of it after its been sealed.
>>
>>5936704
Naw, it's just they keep promising to ship at x date like, 4 times already. It's kinda... upsetting, does that make sense? All the estimated shipments I've gotten from the 7 companies I've ordered from shipped on or earlier than what they promised. In a way, yeah, this is the first time I encountered such a thing.
>>
>>5936670
Like most commission work, you should probably give some revisions for free. It's up to you what the conditions are, it can be small changes or a complete redo, but it's common practice seeing as you can't always be 100% sure you're always 100% on the same page. You should already pad your fees with a bit more to cover revisions.

If you don't want to have to re-do an entire faceup from scratch for free, you have to make sure it wasn't your fault you got it wrong to begin with. You can do this by taking steps like: Creating a photoshop mock up, or getting approval every step of the way. Give them the opportunity to make fixes and edits before you put it to resin.

Because if you don't and you fuck up (it might be your fault, it might be their fault, it might be no one's fault) unless they told you you have complete freedom to do whatever you want, it's still arguably not the customers' fault. And by that line of thinking, it becomes "Why should they have to pay you again if they did their part?".
>>
File: 4518992413051_1_1.jpg (181KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
4518992413051_1_1.jpg
181KB, 570x570px
Very sad day for me, did not win the Kagamine Len dollfie lottery. Scalper prices here I come
>>
>>5936670
>when I open up a shop
Please don't anon. Not please don't as in you suck, but please don't as in from one /toy/ soldier to another, I care about you. Do not put yourself through bjd customer bullshit for maybe $60 a head. Yes, what that anon said about bjd customers not being shit compared to retail is true, but here's the thing: I never worked in retail because I expected that. I didn't expect bjd customers to be like that. You'll have people wanting the super deluxe faceup with mods you did for someone else for $200 for $50. You'll have people getting the WIP shots, in the same format another anon suggested, and then suddenly deciding they hate it even though you fucking showed them the final product before sealing. You will have people sending in heads that look like they were buried with the previous owner. Do not do this. If you want to do commissions- do them for friends. Do them for people you tust. Don't make it open to all.
>>
File: Not mine but related.jpg (96KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
Not mine but related.jpg
96KB, 1024x680px
>>5936712
>>5936717
I'm not a big fan of stopping faceups to take photos, so photoshop mockups are most likely the best route for me, I actually really enjoy those.

>still arguably not the customers' fault
totally agree with this, but part of me also feels that even if there was no one at fault, the very fact I'm spending time and materials on a redo entitles me to some SMALL recompense.. maybe a small fee.. Hm.

>>5936816
Thanks for your concern anon :) I was planning to only take commission from my local community and then PERHAPS, state wide.
Some of the horror stories of people from other countries... /shudders.
>>
>>5935759
How to be a good customer:
- pay on time
- ship when agreed on
- clearly say what you want, don't circle around it/give me a weird novel to read
- fill out my fucking form, don't discuss whether this is necessary or not
- don't try to discuss my prices/haggle, there are enough customers who gladly pay them without annoying me and this is still a luxury hobby
- don't lie ("doll is clean", "I already have the doll at home" etc.)

- tell me right away when something is off (I send you WIP photos for a reason)
- don't suddenly change your mind and expect me to accept that and change things for free
- only commission me when you like my style
- don't complain about details that all my works have, especially when you didn't tell me beforehand that you want something different (for example, I always paint long lashes, that's my thing. If you don't want that, tell me/commission someone else, don't come up with that when the face-up is finished)

In short: it's honestly not hard to be a good customer.
Just pay on time, ship when agreed on and accept the terms and conditions.
Answer questions thruthfully, be honest, provide enough information.
>>
Airbrushing face-up question..
Any anons who do airbrushed face-ups?

How is Vallejo paints compared to mr.color?
Volks international no longer sells mr.color and switched to Vallejo paints.
Anyone with experience?
>>
>>5935804
Depends.
If it was my fault, I sure as fuck will redo that face-up for free.
I fucked up, not the customers fault.

If the customer didn't get his shit together/suddenly changes his mind/didn't tell me during WIP shots that something is off I will not redo all that work for free.
If the customer tells me black eyebrows and suddenly wants blonde ones when the face-up is all finished why should I repaint the whole face for them? Or if they suddenly decided that they don't like the eyebrow shape, after I send them several WIP shots with always the same eyebrows on?
While they can't seem to make up their mind I could have painted a face-up for another customer who knows what they want.
No reason they get a second one for free when it was their fault in the first place.

>>5936670
I don't say anything about revisions in my thread, but I have thought about it in the last months.
I never had to redo a face-up, because I work close with references AND send WIP shots.

My customers are all pretty relaxed though, they don't expect me to nail a color 100% from a photo, difference in screens can already make up a lot.
Everything else can usually either be referenced easily OR agreed on during WIPs.
The mentioned mock-ups (if you can do them) help too, to show your customer how you understood their wishes.
My customers usually want the correct 'feeling' and certain agreed on details, but they aren't super anal about everything.
After all, going from one medium (a photo, maybe of a human) to another (painted surface, doll) is a big difference.

I agree with other anon, don't downright say you do free revisions.
People will abuse that sooner or later.

I also agree with another anon, don't open up a shop.
It's honestly not worth it most of the time.
If you want to paint for others, either do it for friends OR for trades.
The latter has been the nicest thing for me so far, if you find other artists who are interested in trading skills it's great.
>>
>>5936858
I personally use Mr. Hobby Aqueous Color and Vallejo, also Liquitex Ink and Schmincke Aero.

For face-ups I do prefer Vallejo.
I always felt it looked the smoothest and is great for fading from painted to unpainted parts (unlike completely covering something, like a pair of doll horns).
Mr. Hobby always looked more rough, but I mostly use their metallic colors, which explains the bigger particles.
>>
Do resin artists do that shit where they sell prepainted heads/dolls (like kk workshop etc.) or is it uncommon?
>>
>>5936853
>I'm not a big fan of stopping faceups to take photos

Believe me, better do it.
From personal experience at least taking pictures of the basic eyebrow shape is a must, since people are picky about them and are the easiest one to "fuck up".

If it's a basic face-up, just take a picture after you did the first layers of blushing and the basic eyebrow shape.
Let customer comment on it, afterwards you can do the rest of the face-up.

>Some of the horror stories of people from other countries

Just for fun, and since it came up, story of my 'favourite' customer:
> get message from local person
> they want a full doll commission from me, i.e. face-up, body blushing, fantasy part blushing
> has loose idea, asks me for opinion
> make her a mock up with two versions; one red, one blue
> says she wants the red one and will send me the doll soon
> doll arrives, she changes her mind, only face-up and fantasy parts please
> I start the face-up
> she tells me she had to (!) buy a new doll, can't pay me, she only wants the face-up now
> finish face-up, she's happy
> pester her for weeks to pay
> finally get paid, ship her doll
> she posts doll, claiming to be all happy
> gets comment "Hm, I think something is missing"
> Suddenly goes full "artist didn't do what I wanted, I wanted blue, I am so unhappy, will get it repainted soon"

She's the reason people now have to pay beforehand.

Other favourites include the person who told me their doll was "a little dirty" but looked like it was chewed on by a dog and rolled in paint afterwards.
Or the one who claimed in front of others I wouldn't do what my customers want...because I told her I would not copy a popular doll for her (she owned the same sculpt and tried really hard to get a perfect copy of that doll).
Glad I didn't work for her in the end.
And the one who gets back a commission, destroys it, and then expects me to redo everything for free.
>>
>>5936901
Not sure, but seems like resin heads are more expensive than DD heads. (Maybe 4-10x more)

So you wouldn't really pre-paint a resin and wait to sell it. But, rather take commissions as they come.
>>
>>5936901
Uncommon, if it's the sculptor of the doll (but Kana for example sometimes sells her own heads that she also painted).

But there are artists who sell pre-painted heads.
One face-up anon in this thread does for example.
I did it a few times too.

Unlike with DDs though it's a little harder to sell those heads.
BJD owners usually buy a certain sculpt to look like one of their characters, which means the face-up needs to fit their idea of their character (which is often not the case).
Most DD owners just want a good looking doll, so they don't really care what's on a certain face.
Blythe and Pullip tend to be the same, especially with Blythe people just buy what they like to see.
>>
>>5936914
adding:
This anon is correct too >>5936908
You can buy a DD head for thirty bucks, and if the head doesn't sell that fast it doesn't hurt much.

If I want to paint a BJD head that can be sold easily (i.e. not some cheapo chinese head that looks all wonky and weird) I need to invest 100-180$ before I can even start painting.
And then someone needs to be interested in buying this head with that face.

Other good option is painting and selling heads you got for free (additional heads from one of your dolls, event heads you got as gift for an order) or dolls you want to sell from your private collection.

Still, unless you hit the nerve of someone OR find someone who just wants any pretty doll it's hard to sell.
>>
I just realized that I can no longer find Jame's patterns online. They used to be on Aimeemajor.com or wtf ever it was and now the link is broke. I loved those patterns.
>>
File: 010.jpg (130KB, 750x1125px) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
130KB, 750x1125px
>>5936901
I'm the faceup anon who was mentioned that sells prepainted ones. It used to be a lot easier, but lately my prepainted heads sit in the market place for months. One has been there almost a year now. Shit sucks.
>>
File: 1462758992914.jpg (34KB, 500x751px) Image search: [Google]
1462758992914.jpg
34KB, 500x751px
>>5937048
Your faceups are amazing. Don't know about other people, but I'm usually really indecisive about these things, so if I was still into resin, I'd love to buy the one you posted. Really dig the unique approach and distinguished style.
>>
>>5936853
Like I said anon, best thing is to already pad your initial price on the off chance revisions will need to be made. Just like how you should already pad your price for the paypal fees, it makes it all the better for you if you don't have to ask them for more money if it's no one's fault.
>>
>>5937133
thanks anon! im just surprised this one hasnt sold yet because its a pretty basic faceup, and the sort i am asked for all the time. "freckles. brown eyebrows. warm tones." my only guess is because its a "boy" faceup. the only people who have shown interest were people who were like "can you make it girlier? id like it to be a girl"

its like, sorry. no. nothing more annoying to be asked to change a faceup on something you're selling. its just people trying to get a free faceup out of you.
>>
>>5937159
Anon, it's like everyone has told you, you're charging the price of the head + your face up charge, when someone would rather spend the faceup cost on a custom one. With that said, I think it's a beautiful faceup and it makes me like a mold I'm otherwise not a fan of. The doll community is just too fickle these days to sell like that.
>>
File: flam.png (317KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
flam.png
317KB, 500x508px
>>5937182
well i aint gonna give my shit away for free bruh. i did lower the price a little recently, its down to $135. which is a bargain since the other painted FLAM head is this one and they're asking $150
>>
>>5937191
No one expects you to and desu I'm unsure of the demand for this head, but I can see why (with the current community) it isn't selling.
And yikes.
Does anyone actually like those mouth corner lines? I know I detest them, but almost every faceup artist seems so keen on them.
>>
>>5937048
I'm sad your rainbow girl last year caught me when I was unemployed/underemployed. I'm still pretty sad I missed out.
>>
>>5937198
>Does anyone actually like those mouth corner lines? I know I detest them, but almost every faceup artist seems so keen on them

I think at this point it is just a "traditional thing to do" since companies have been doing it since pretty much the very beginning, so people just do it too.

Honestly that faceup is not that great, but it really looks like the person learned by looking at default company faceups with the exception of stronger colors. So yeah it might look bad next to the anon's more realistic and also more skilled faceup, but it isn't that terrible for the level of skill it shows, I think the very strong black is what mostly throws it off.

Either way if anon has been trying to sell their head for a year and people don't give a shit about the faceup, I doubt they would give a shit about this one too. They are just gonna look at the price and pass on it, specially when this unpopular flam head goes for as low as $70 blank.
>>
File: 002.jpg (114KB, 650x670px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
114KB, 650x670px
>>5937421
sorry about that anon. i'm pretty sure someone from here ended up with the winking unoa face i did though? i've been thinking of putting this one up for sale sometime, but i've just been waiting for at least one of the two heads i have up to sell. i still have a chicline head, a sleeping unoa, and a withdoll vera to paint. i was just going to sell the vera head, since i was using the body to hybrid, but i've since decided the body doesnt look right proportionally with the head i have for it so i'm on a futile search for a feeple60 non muscled boy body. its agonizing waiting, especially since i've seen two muscle bodies on the market place, but the non muscle body is more rare.
>>
I commissioned someone on FB for faceup work. A personal friend and one of their friends vouched for this person. They wanted full payment upfront, and were prompt to communicate until I shipped the heads. But then I had to hound them to even get a "yeah they arrived".

Three weeks later, and not a peep.

1 to 10 how fucked am I
>>
>>5938170
depends anon, ask your friends about this and a name would help a lot, maybe some of us have dealt with that person before. I follow most facebook groups and know most of their faceup artists so maybe I can help or another anon around here.
>>
>>5938170
If your friend vouched for them, I'd still give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they just got busy. But looking for other feedback might put you more at ease. Or the opposite. But either way you'll get a better picture of what to expect.
>>
>>5922611

lol doesn't matter how many people were shit talking it, those people weren't participating and weren't dumb enough to identify themselves while breaking the rules of the competition. She got caught breaking the terms of the competition and she got caught up in self pity over it for like the next three threads we had after that. many lulz were had.

The whole doa competition thing doesn't seem like a big deal to me I still don't get why there was so much butthurt. It really got in the way of people posting cool dolls, which is like the selling point of these threads.

>>5923711

I've used Safrin eyes and Soom eyes, the Safrin eyes were a softer silicone and molded better to strange eyewells, had mine for like 4 years and no real yellowing or anything. Soom silicone eyes are stiffer, but their flat print out method gives them a lot of flexibility in color and patterns in eyes and the color itself is just brighter despite the Safrin eyes having a better depth

>>5923977

Thanks so much for compiling all these wig comparisons and recommendations this is pretty helpful. Leeke's limited colors are so beautiful
>>
>>5937663
Yeah I'm the one that bought the rainbow winking Unoa. Got her a headback but I'm still waiting to catch up on bills before she gets a body.
>>
>>5937048
Can I ask if you're willing to give any tips on that skin texturing/freckling? It's lovely.
>>
>>5938458
I use very watered down acrylics, veery watered down, and gently dot it, dot by dot, on the face, then use a slightly damp paper towel to pat it to make it even lighter. i do it in layers to, so it builds up and some dots end up darker/more noticeable while others fade into the skin
>>
>>5938227
no lulz were had as the only person who was lulzing was the person who tattled like a jealous baby and awkwardly posted here trying to stir up drama / get people to bash her, and no one did lol hi spookfairy. even on truebjdconfessions people posted in her defense
>>
>>5938170
Did the artist state their usual working time somewhere?
I personally have a "give me at least 4 weeks" note in my thread, but I also always answer messages right away and confirm I got the package immediately upon receiving it.

I wouldn't say you are fucked though, three weeks is not very long, at least in this hobby, and paying upfront is normal too.
I ask for it too, after customers who didn't pay for weeks/months while I had their stuff finished and ready to ship.

Maybe ask your friends how dealing with the artist was like?
I have one friend who's so chill about these things, she doesn't even mind when there's nothing from an artist for three months.
And she ships out a lot of doll parts across the whole world for years now.
She always got her stuff back, sooner or later, it rarely happens that an artist truly disappears and takes your doll with them.

Maybe give it another week and then ask them if they already had time working on your doll.
>>
>>5938492

Im pretty sure I had a few lulz because fuck people who shit talk behind others backs, bitch got what she deserved.

Are you her anon? Is that why you're so butthurt?
>>
>>5939100

do you even know where you are? and anyone who posts to confession blogs anonymously shouldnt be so hypocritical about "talking behind others backs"

did one of your shit faceups get posted and your feefees got hurt? sorry if you're shit at art but what do you expect?
>>
>>5939100
PS the only thing that happened was that she was disqualified from the contest. wasn't banned from DOA. didn't lose faceup business. no one else confessed about her. so really, nothing happened like you hoped would. sorry you didn't get the drama you wanted.
>>
File: tumblr_mgqcliONOG1rhqwlzo1_.jpg (128KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgqcliONOG1rhqwlzo1_.jpg
128KB, 640x426px
>>5939100
>fuck people who shit talk behind others backs

Dude, aren't you a little wrong here then?
Because half of the BJD threads are nothing but talking shit behind others backs, especially Kayke.
>>
Hey, does anyone know where a decent air brush tutorial is? My abilities to google have unearthed all of nothing.
I'm getting one in this weekend and have a couple of projects that need doing.
>>
I need to find a tutorial on how to make up a face on an obitsu head.
I've applied to DOA and am waiting to be admitted. I have the head I want (for starters) coming in towards the end of the month.
Can anyone direct me to a place that could suggest paints /what tools to use or a tutorial of sorts?
>sage for wanting to be spoon-fed.
>>
>>5939625
Acrylic paint, watercolor pencils, Mr. Super Clear. Most obitsus are offtopic for DoA.

Also thin your paints if you go that route! Seriously, you'll get better lines.
>>
>>5939642
Thank you very much.

>Most obitsus are offtopic for DoA
Fuck I thought they might be.

Do you know of a good place/community I could go for people that work with the more simple dolls like PureNeemo and Mama Chapp?

I just need to make one (or two) little dolls then I'll fuck back off to where I came from.

If I do get into DOA I'll just lurk and utilize the patterns for pukifee clothing. So no worries about me shitting up the place.
>>
>>5939687
Dollfie Dreams forums have sections for those dolls I think? I'm not really familiar with those communities, but the DD people are super friendly.

Eh, no need to fuck off, post pics of your dolls! I personally would rather spoonfeed someone here and there rather than them ruin a head-- no one needs unpleasant experiences like that in their life.
>>
>>5939708
Bah, you are so kind. Thank you.
I really want to do the right think the first time since I know it'll end up being special to me.
[spoiler]Should I use water to thin the paint?[/spoiler]
>>
>>5939771
A warning, you will probably screw it up the first few times, but that is okay. Water color pencils are easier to do.

I don't actually do faceups myself, I'm just repeating what hobby knowledge I have. When I HAVE played with faceups, I used retarder to thin my acrylics. It felt smoother to me that way, but maybe water works? I'm not sure. Someone here probably knows or can direct you to more definite resources.

Best of luck to you, by the way!
>>
>>5939771
>>5939798
there may be better options but water is fine

>>5938170
probably a 6
my friend had a doll stolen off fb sales in a trade so be careful with that
>>
>>5939798
Thank-you very much, really. I appreciate all your help and well wishing.

>>5939810
Right. I googled what to thin it with and water came up as an option but I hadn't thought of it as one honestly. If you have a suggestion I am grateful for any help.
>>
>>5939820
I use liquitex flow aid or fluid retardant. Honestly just go to an art supply shop, look for anything labelled with those two things and that'll probably be fine.
>>
File: 5607291082_c32de74cba_b.jpg (118KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
5607291082_c32de74cba_b.jpg
118KB, 1024x683px
Ordered a microphone today for a good deal, but I have to wait on shipping. Excited to have stuff to do in what little spare time I have. /shrug/
>>
>>5940396
>>5939625

Same, also use the Liquitex Flow Aid.

However, I used water before for two years, which was also fine if you just want to dilute your paint.
Just make sure to use some that doesn't instantly start to break down into watery paint and little paint chunks.
Acrylic paint that's already made for airbrush works well, since it's usually a little watery already.

Additionally:
if you aim for a DD-esque face-up (i.e. with anime eyes) it always helped me to first sketch the outlines with a watercolor pencil.
Sealed that, then blushed the insides with pastels till I have a somewhat evenly colored surfaced.
Sealed again, then started adding acrylics on it.
It makes it look softer and you need less paint to achieve a dark and even look, also looks smoother because you don't have a thick acrylic layer.

>>5939269
What are you looking for in detail?
I doubt you couldn't find something with Google, airbrush is used in lots of art and craft hobbies as a tool and is its very own hobby too.

Just don't look for BJD only tutorials, that's not necessary anyway.
Just look around in general airbrush forums and fiddle around with the airbrush a little.
Before you bought one you should have actually already looked into the types of airbrushs, because the vary in handling.

Dilute your paint and always take apart your airbrush after working and clean it completely.
Can't stress that enough.
For colors, you can basically spray anything that can be diluted enough to smoothly fit through an airbrush nozzle.
However, in reality diluted acrylic pains, alcohol and enamel based paints or already diluted airbrush colors (usually acrylic) work best.
You want the high pigmented stuff that is already pretty watery, not the thick stuff that breaks into part liquid/part particles when diluted.
Vallejo Air is good for starters, and comes in nice small bottles with a build in drop nozzle.
>>
I purchased a Limho Mono from the Junkyspot sale on Limwha dolls. I can't resist a sale/in stock in the US doll. But the cert says the doll is over a year old. Guess that's why it was on sale...

Junkyspot is so 2003-2006 and I was mortified to pick this up from my apartment's mail room.
>>
>>5940626

Limwha always has had very nice dolls, and I think he will be handsome eventually but this faceup is even worse IRL than it is in stock photos and that's pretty fuckin awful
>>
>>5940629

I think the default faceups on the female sculpts are beautiful but holy shit they don't work well on their male dolls.

>>5939233

Your point is? I come to these threads for info, honest opinions on companies and occasional news. Not tumblr drama, shitting on a mature faceups and vendetta posting. Just cause that bullshit happens here doesn't mean I participate in it or endorse it.
>>
File: PhotoEditor-1475245209380.jpg (462KB, 465x3567px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoEditor-1475245209380.jpg
462KB, 465x3567px
So I actually like the 60cm abs hujoo body. It's heavy and poses amazingly and it's cheap for its size. But seriously what is this even? Little peanut childlike head with molded hair? Really? This body is SiD size and is an awesome alternative to impldoll and they go and make the most Ill fitting head of all time for it. This is some new dollshe ass shit right here.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160930-233232.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160930-233232.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
never change, bjd addicts
>>
>>5940690
>Just cause that bullshit happens here doesn't mean I participate in it
Gpoy.
>>
>>5940825
Jesus Christ this is terrible. Congrats on trying to make your own things but how are you gonna have this doll and have no idea what sculpt it even is??
>>
>>5940825
For a second I thought she was glueing the hair straight onto the headcap (and fuck covering the face).

And how can someone be too dumb to measure a head and then look for a fitting wig? It's not exactly rocket science.
>>
>>5939233
I know it'll be the wrong size but what doll is that?
>>
>>5941455
SD, it's a Soom Migma:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96843259@N00/6904692238
>>
>>5940626
>resin or vinyl person
kek. When did they start adding that to packages?
>>
File: tumblr_n0qfatCUBP1s0ds9bo1_500.png (250KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0qfatCUBP1s0ds9bo1_500.png
250KB, 500x331px
odd topic time!

I have recently come to the realization that a lot of people that I follow re-shelled their dolls/characters and sadly enough the new shells they picked are pretty bad in my opinion. I don't think is me being attached to the old image but the fact that them trying to copy the old character into a new sculpt kinda ruins it since the sculpts are not the same, but over all the job is just sloppy and messy, like they ran out of juice and are now just trying to reshell character after character, but nothing is working.

For example, I know we all dislike elfgutz a lot, for several reasons but I have always liked Comet because you could tell she put a lot of effort (based on her skill level) into that one doll, but now her work is sloppier and like an elfgutz copycat, it has come to the point in which her own work looks like a copy of her old work. Jeez, kinda sad.

So anons, what doll owners do you believe have send their dolls to hell? As in they ruined them instead of improving them.
>>
File: 6563519651_5498c60c8c_o.jpg (281KB, 550x801px) Image search: [Google]
6563519651_5498c60c8c_o.jpg
281KB, 550x801px
>>5941650
>the fact that them trying to copy the old character into a new sculpt kinda ruins it since the sculpts are not the same

Which, uh, is the purpose of re-shelling?
If the sculpts would be the same, why bother?

>like they ran out of juice and are now just trying to reshell character after character, but nothing is working.

That's something that can happen.
I had a character who had four different heads and three different bodies, till I decided one day I am sick of it and just gave up.

However, I did do a few re-shellings that worked out really well.
If you've been in the hobby for a while it often happens that your taste changes.
Or you shelled your character into the best available doll at that time, years later a new one is released that fits so much better and it's time to go on.
I always compare it to drawing, years later you draw better and your characters look more like themselves.
That new doll is just the better drawn version of this character.

Also just checked, her stuff looks still the same to me, just more washed out (color/contrast-wise).

Regarding the original answer:
no, as far as I remember everyone I follow who decided to re-shell characters/upgrade their dolls' looks did so pretty well.
There are some shells I miss, usually because it was a doll I liked, but no "oh god, what did that person do!".
Only got mixed feelings towards illusionwaltz' Eddie, who was a Dollzone Cosmo first and is now a Crisnoel Cherry.
He looks more defined now, but it was nice to see a cool Cosmo for once and he had a very different vibe.

We got a person in our local forum though that makes me roll my eyes every time she gets a new doll.
She has basically one important character and has been in this hobby for a year now.
That character had seven different shells so far, and they are nothing alike.
He went from an EID dude to a slim Dollshe guy, to a Soom Dia, to a Crobidoll, to a SID (and two other versions I just forgot).
>>
>>5941779

>Which, uh, is the purpose of re-shelling?
If the sculpts would be the same, why bother?

I think anon means that trying to do almost the exact same work on a different sculptors might make what was once good be bad because it just doesn't work on the new sculpt. Like colors, shadows, clothes and such. It might have looked good in the old sculpt but looks bad on the new one, probably because it might not be the sculpts style.

Regarding the topic. I used to follow a couple of people with pretty good oc but stopped caring when they jumped into the FL train. They went from having mature looking females to...whatever FL tries to aim for. Which in my opinion did not fit the characters nor their personalities.>>5941779
>>
>>5940580
Airbrush idiot here.
Thanks for the reply.
I couldn't find anything bjd specific- I realize how that I'm an idiot.
I had someone at an art store run me through some paints today, so here's hoping everything goes okay.
>>
>>5939625
It sounds like you're working on a 1/6 or 1/12 head? Try fashion doll tutorials. Small vinyl dolls have way more in common with fashion dolls like Barbie, Tonner, and Monster High as far as repaints go, than resin bjd. Its sad, there used to be a huge community of people who did Obitsu and Dollfie repaints but its largely fallen off. I suspect it has to do with a large amount of people only collecting them because of their relatively low price compared to resin BJD, so now that there's cheaper bjd out there its died out.
>>
>>5941650
Yknow I'm the same; I really liked the Comet in the picture, but I'm not AS fond of the new Comet. It's missing something the old Comet had.
But hey, her dolls.
>>
>>5941650
I personally reshelled a doll because most of my crew is very realistic looking and she was quite stylized. (i went from a Loongsoul to a Supia) and it works better for the overall aesthetic of the rest of the dolls she's around.
But another reason people may do it is because when they originally got the doll the one they're using to reshell it with fits the character more and wasn't out at the time they got the original doll.

Luna Mikkelsen is notorious for reshelling though, and I really don't see a reason why she does it so often. Its obnoxious.
>>
>>5940626
Some of the distributors for Domuya are still trying to sell their almost 10 year old dolls at full price. They must be yellow as a school bus.

>>5940720
This is why I didn't buy the Cleopatra Io version. Body of a 28 year old marathoner, head of a 16 year old school girl.
>>
File: _20161001_145034.jpg (152KB, 720x1039px) Image search: [Google]
_20161001_145034.jpg
152KB, 720x1039px
Wow good fucking job ruining that resin
>>
>>5943450
WTF is this breast cancer
>>
>>5943473
He's doing a ftm mod I guess. But I wonder if he realizes you can't sand that resin.
>>
>>5943493
Chainsaw?
>>
>>5943450
Just why...urg, worst aesthetic in the whole fucking hobby, men don't even have hips like that, they don't have the same bone structure as women. If he was going for transgender people I would get it, but is just cum dumpster sluts.
>>
>>5943495
He didn't mean you can't sand resin as in it's impossible. He meant it's fucking dangerous and it can kill you if it gets in your lungs.
>>
>>5943719
excellent.
>>
>>5943719
I was more talking about the color of the resin and that it won't stay the same.
>>
What's with all the ruckus caused by the new Bermann? I'm a newfag in the hobby (only three years) and I'm very confused with what is happening in the community. I know he's a super rare limited and goes for insane prices on the second hand market but why are people angry for the release of the new version? I thought it'd be a good thing since he seems to be highly demanded?
>>
>>5943969
People are mad because they paid those insane prices to get their doll, and were expecting to possibly get that money back if they decided to sell it off. No ones going to want to buy an old yellowed doll for many times its original price, when they can get the same one fresh and new with no inflation.
>>
>>5943450
I will never understand why people sand tanned resin without checking to make sure it's solid first... Or just buy the right body to start with. It's not 2006 anymore, organize a swap or something if the company won't sell you a boy Dark Elf Soo.
>>
>>5943676
Of course they don't, but I think it's more about the androgyny appeal than being correct about how actual humans are built.
>>
>>5940580
>DD-esque face-up
Yes. Admittedly I want to make a small doll of the character I really love. I already collect figures and whatnot so I wanted to do something a little more serious in making a simple cute doll.
Thank you for your advice.

>>5942144
You're right, that's what I'll be attempting.
Dang, I wish there were still some out there.
>>
>>5944235
But the super narrow waist and wide hips takes away the androgynous look. It is a freaking oxymoron. Dumbest thing in the whole hobby.
>>
>>5944251
Iplehouse SD's are basically made to be the "perfect" example of their sex. Not some middle ground.
Iplehouse SD's are NOT made to be androgynous. Like at all. God. It's gonna look terrible.
Why didn't they get a small bust to start either??
>>
>>5944359
At least the penalty for such bad taste will be the pain a few years from now when they try to sell it and it goes for less than a secondhand Bobobie.
>>
>>5944395
The saddest part is that apparently it's a commission for vamptastic
>>
>>5943969

It's more difficult than other anon >>5944047 explained it.
Owning a Bermann is to most not an investment, because they never sell him.
Most Bermann's are owned by the same people for years now, they rarely change owners.

To understand the whole issue you need to look back when the Bermanns were released.
Mr. Dollshe had always planned them to be very limited, next to that he asked you all kinds of bullshit.
The first bunch of Bermanns were Korean only, and there was even a Bermann club.
International ones were rare, but there also wasn't much interest yet.

Mr. Dollshe decided to do a cooperation with someone called "Anu", who would get Bermanns from Dollshe and then paints them and makes elaborate outfits for each of them.
Suddenly their popularity went through the roof and the bullshit began.
Wait times were bad (1-2 years), you had to promise to never sell the doll on (LOL), for the Il Milione release people had to write an essay why they should get the doll...and how much they would pay (1400-2000$ offers incl.).
At one point Mr. Dollshe sent out the wrong type of Bermann head, and people had to give them back (!) and he destroyed them (!!), because he didn't want too many Bermanns out there.

Due to their rarity and because they were released so many years ago, most Bermanns are owned by the same old timey Dollshe fans.
Some of them own several.
They are/were also owned by people back then who were seen as top customizers (like SDink), and most are in homes where they are cared for well.
That gave them this vibe of "a doll that wasn't tainted by newbies".
In my opinion lots of the Bermanns look like shit today, because they have old timey face-ups and all look the same.
>>
>>5944456

Back to today.
Biggest problem people have is that Mr. Dollshe has always denied ever re-releasing Bermann.
People have begged him since he came back as Dollshecraft, he again and again said no.
Now he just shrugs and goes all "never got why you guys make Bermann so mystical" and re-releases him.
He doesn't get that he's the one who made Bermann so special.

People are angry because it means that all the bullshit he forced people to go through, the wait times, the second hand trouble, the prices etc. was all for nothing.
He could have re-released Bermann long ago already, instead of making people write essays or wait two years to get the wrong doll and then agree on letting it destroy in turn for a new head.

They are also angry because it's another long string of lies by Mr. Dollshe.
He lied about re-releasing his old dolls several times (how many last sales were there in the last years?), he went on a long rant about how 3D is the devil and only sculpting by hand is true art...just to use 3D now too.
People are waiting a year for their dolls, or longer, and he releases a bunch of new dolls AND Bermann.
Bermann was the last small piece of integrity he still had left, because it was the last promise he didn't break.

Of course you also have those people who think they are special for owning a Bermann and don't want other, non-worthy (LOL) people to own one too.
We will get some two-tier elitism stuff, one with original Bermann owners and one with second release Bermann.
No surprise, original Bermann has history new Bermann has not and still has that mythical touch to him.

In short: people are angry because of Mr. Dollshe's constant lies, the stuff he made people go through in the past and a tiny bit because to those Bermann owners Bermann is special.
He was a piece of BJD hobby history, and they feel Mr. Dollshe destroyed it.
And because some think it destroys their rarity, but those are honestly in smaller numbers.
>>
>>5944468
It also doesn't help that new Bermann won't look exactly like old Bermann.
Lots of people think he should have called the doll a different name OR go for a totally realistic version of the face, basically the Bermann feeling with today's aesthetic.
But instead he tries to do just an updated Bermann in regards to the body, with a very close likeness to the original face.
It just makes it seem like he wants to milk the name at all cost.

Also again he asks people to pre-order before there are even pictures out there!
Dollshe is crazy, through and through.
>>
File: mikuwigs.jpg (58KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
mikuwigs.jpg
58KB, 960x960px
>>5920038
>>5920073
>>5923818

Photos, as promised. The top picture is the whisper blue wig on the far left next to the two tone official Volks wig. Being two tone, any wig I buy will never be a perfect match, but it looks just fine to me. It serves the purpose I wanted it for, so it's perfect. Thanks again for your help anon.
>>
>>5944468
>>5944456

Holy shit, all of this sounds fucking awful. I was thinking about buying the re-release but I would rather not give my money to such a fucking dick head. This just made me lose all interest in dollshe all together. It is almost as annoying as the venitu re-releases, no wonder he worked with dollshe, the two have annoying lot of stupid shit in common.
>>
>>5944493
No biggie anon, glad I could help.
The color suits her pretty well too, it's like a mix between snow and regular Miku.

>>5944774
It was fucking awful.
Bermann was always drama, no surprise it's again the same.
I was a long time Dollshe fan, since I entered the hobby, but except for one doll I am too lazy to re-shell I sold all of mine by now.

It's also not clear anymore if Mr. Dollshe is just the crazy artist type who's unable to manage a business OR if he does all of this on purpose.
Personally, I now assume the latter.
>>
>>5944774
>>5945264
He's such a manchild. BTW, he still hasn't casted King Corey and Arsene yet. right?
>>
Should I grab:
Mr. Super Clear Flat Spray or Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Flat Spray?
>>
File: tumblr_o9joukN5rd1qdw2ozo1_540.jpg (51KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9joukN5rd1qdw2ozo1_540.jpg
51KB, 540x360px
>>5945443
Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Flat is the preferred one because it supposedly has magical unicorn powers to delay the inevitable yellowing on resin. I'm not sure how prone to yellowing is on the vinyl counterparts.
>>
>>5945569
Thank you anon.
>>
>>5945264
The funniest thing to me, as an outsider, is that Bermann Classic looks like something from a lower end doll company. Definitely not worth the effort. But that's just me.
>>
>>5946314
> Definitely not worth the effort.
Seconded.
I never really understood the appeal for dollshe in the first place though.
>>
>>5946314
Most of the early dolls that were supposed to be adults look really bad in retrospect. I think they only got popular because they were the first to offer a plastic boyfriend that wasn't obviously a child.
>>
The hell is going on on instagram about Soom and Miyadoll?
>>
>>5946314
>>5946398
They were one of the first, if not the first, company to offer 70cm guys.
Compared to other dolls from that time they were also incredibly mature in face and body.
They actually looked like adults and somewhat western, compared to Volks and the rest.

Today they are very outdated though, and if you weren't in the hobby when they were the hottest shit/don't dig the aesthetic it's hard to understand.

>>5946517
I try to keep it short:
Miya made a giveaway, the winner openly posted their message to Miya how they would like to cancel the gift because they found out, Miya's doll ain't legit.

First outbiiiirk, people bitch at the giveaway winner how she dare to say something like that without proof.
Turns out, in the chinese community people already knew something is fucked with Miya, just the western one was not informed.
Here's a weibo post:
http://weibo.chinatimes.com/user/junishiro/4006187516659383
Click on the little thumbnails, there is also an overlay with one of Miya's dolls and a Soom Feny.
The first screenshot is a message by Soom, where they say that they had already contaced Miya but she refused to stop using these dolls.
Translation here (person is also the giveaway winner):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLC9LAGjC72/

Now, people thought at first Miya had sculpted Feny for Soom, and broke her contract of not using her work she made during working for Soom as her own doll.
Apparently she didn't even sculpt Feny!
That's Feny's sculptor: https://www.instagram.com/mono_bjd/

Now more people come out and post comparisons.
Her body vs Withdoll:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLGBv0ehyCf/
Another face comparison:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLFj0d5DlSQ/

In short: something is super off with Miya.
>>
>>5946534
Adding:
Miya posted this now:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLGAfu0jKH1/

She's also pretty upset, judging by her Instagram posts.
I get the feeling this is one of those cases where peoplej ump on an artist just to realize things are different than thought.
I still think the faces are VERY alike, especially when she wasn't the original sculptor of Feny.
>>
>>5946542
There ARE subtle differences, in so far that it looks like someone got Feny and modified her a little bit, then cast it as their own doll.

Super shady o_O
>>
NEW THREAD >>5946736
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.