[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any decent* figures of early Spider-Man? *by current

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 19

File: asm1.jpg (156KB, 480x749px) Image search: [Google]
asm1.jpg
156KB, 480x749px
Are there any decent* figures of early Spider-Man?

*by current standards of sculpt, articulation, etc.
>>
>>5890449
Sadly, no.

Though apparently Mezco is working on a Spider-Man and i'm really hoping that they'll make him look more classic and include his web cape thing.
>>
>>5890469
>i'm really hoping that they'll make him look more classic
Hahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>5890449

The armpit webbing seems like it'd be hard to get right
>>
>>5890513
They said they're doing five different versions of Spider-Man.

I'd bet good money one will be a Ditko Spidey in red and black, with small eyepieces and the webbed armpits.
>>
>>5891142
>I'd bet good money one will be a Ditko Spidey in red and black
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, it'll go great with the classic Cap they never did, and the classic Daredevil that they couldn't do. Every Marvel release is their interpretation, probably due to licensing, and they suck at it. Even the good looking Punishers can't be considered "classic."
>>
>>5891157
Their classic Punisher is pretty dead-on, 3anon.
>>
File: The-Punisher-Vol.-1-1-1986.jpg (1MB, 1166x1805px) Image search: [Google]
The-Punisher-Vol.-1-1-1986.jpg
1MB, 1166x1805px
>>5891184
>Classic punisher
>laced boots and pouchespouchespouches
>older, fucked up face

Its classic colors, sure, but it's not a proper classic frank. Its like if you took the Affleck Batman, colored him blue and slapped a yellow oval on him, and called it a DKR Batman.

Classic Punisher's costume was basically a painted body costume, this one looks more like a modern era costume.
>>
>>5891142
I still don't know how to feel about this.

It doesn't really feel like an iconic version of Spider-man. Its just..there. I'm happy they didn't do some weird shit like add black bands or cut up the red segments, but its not particularly striking, or "right" feeling. Anyone else feel this?
>>
>>5890449

> tfw most wanted figure is shf spidey but it'll probably be whatever boring design gets used in Homecoming.

Sick of seeing mcfarlane spideys half chewed on by a dog and loose for $100+ too guess I'm just get the Mafex.
>>
>>5891455

Honestly it's par the course for one of the worst spidey figures ever.
>>
>>5890449

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Toybiz' Marvel Legends First Appearance Spider-Man. It's pretty great.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
>>5891448
Medicom did that and it was a pretty dull-looking figure.

I don't mind them adding a few extra details. The problem is when they go totally off the page.
>>
>>5891485
>Medicom did that and it was a pretty dull-looking figure.

You may not like it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its audience. the dullness of the RAH is more due to it generally looking too scrawny and soft in the face compared to the art. The design itself is fine.
>>
>>5891491
I see. I didn't get the memo that the previous Arbitrator had died and you had ascended his position as the dictator of world toy-collecting tastes.
>>
>>5891474
Seconding this. The joints are a little stiff but he's solid.
>>
>>5891560
Yet I wasn't the one who said doing the comic version straight was dull, I said it has its audience. And the Mezco not being the classic version isn't a matter of taste, its a matter of fact. I have no issue with anyone buying or liking it, I think it looks pretty cool too, but its not the true classic look.
>>
>>5891184
>Their classic Punisher is pretty dead-on
It's not. If you can't understand how that differs from classic Punisher by looking at it, you may be so strikingly retarded that you should probably seek government assistance for your day-to-day functions.

>3anon
Cute. I've spent over $300 on Mezco One:12 products, which is probably a lot more than you, so maybe shut the fuck up you needledick. I can have an opinion about how their stuff is ass just as much as I can have an opinion about how great they are when it's worth buying. You trivialize whatever you have to say by throwing up the 3A race card.
>>
>>5891660
Fuck off, Gaspar.
>>
File: Punisher Europhit.jpg (160KB, 836x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Punisher Europhit.jpg
160KB, 836x1280px
>>5891660
>differs from classic Punisher by looking at it
Not him, but care to tell us how?
>>
>>5892196
See
>>5891448
Even the face looks older than how Frank was drawn in older comics. It's classic colors on a design influenced by modern Punisher designs, with combat boots and an older Frank.
>>
File: DCCJaeLeeWave1.jpg (102KB, 820x395px) Image search: [Google]
DCCJaeLeeWave1.jpg
102KB, 820x395px
>>5892199
I don't know if you've noticed, but 99% of Marvel toys are all done in a generic realistic style.
There's like 3 or 4 figures in two decades that were ever modeled after the actual art, two of them being Thor, both of which are based on Copiel's art.
That Ditko Spiderman from this thread? It's not even based on his style. It's just the costume done over a jacked steroid heroin body, which is not at all like how Ditko drew him.

There's only one brand that ever does toys based on classic comic book designs, like you're trying to say.
Everyone else? They just use the classic costumes, like what I'm sure that guy is implying when referring to Mezco's Classic Punisher.

See pic? Only brand that actually does what you're saying.
>>
>>5892223
>sub $20 figures
>being the same as $70 figures
Nuh-uh. Take your bullshit and leave this thread, because your ignorance and dumbass arguing skills will only lead to more pointless shit talking. If you think $20 figures that are in constant body recycling mode are comparable to what Mezco SHOULD be producing at the $70 range and prove some sort of point, you may be fucking retarded. These things are $70, they better fucking be at higher standards than Hasbro, not just done in the house style.
>>
File: DCC Bermejo.jpg (37KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
DCC Bermejo.jpg
37KB, 564x423px
>>5892704
Geez, you're fucking dense.

I'm talking about GENERIC life like style, as in they're aiming to just produce a figure with a face that's based on their uncle or a neighbor 2 houses down. Almost all artists do this shit and that's how almost every single Marvel figure/comic/painting is done, aside from the 3-4 comic styled and actor ones.
I said nothing about a retool, fuckwit.

And you know what? I'm actually glad Mezco isn't doing direct translations from the comic, because a comic style needs to be molded exactly to match the comic book look.
You can't do this with a doll, unless it's never moved the day it's produced.
So them just modeling the costume on the classic costume is enough, because that's how it is with practically every single Marvel figure and statue. And guess what? That's how most of us like it.

You think figures like Jim Lee's Cyclop (MU, ML, and newer ML) actually is styled after him? Nope. The similarities end at the costume, unlike what DCC does and DCC's figures only cost $25. Same as an MS.
>>
>>5892741
>NUH UH I DIDN'T SAY THE THINGS I SAID, YOU CAN'T SAY I DID IF I SAY I DIDN'T
Cool. you might want to re-read your post, but I doubt you will because of that fragile ego of yours. What else is going on in your post, let's see...

>I completely forgot about the Mezco DKR stuff which completely rebuffs everything I am feebly trying to cobble together as a coherent thought, but forget those figures because I'm trying to make a point and need all the help I can get!
Will do! Glad that you only speak in half-truths and show what a fucking tool you are. This one's a real gem:
>because a comic style needs to be molded exactly to match the comic book look.
>You can't do this with a doll, unless it's never moved the day it's produced
Yeah... Hmm, that is one dumb and incredibly fucking ignorant statement there, considering how they already did it. But I guess you'll say something along the lines of "but Marvel is different! There's never EVER been a specific art style in a Marvel comic, so it doesn't count and I am the King of Rightsville!"

God damn son, produce more posts so we can laugh at you.
>>
File: dkr rules.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dkr rules.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>5892746
>Glad that you only speak in half-truths
huehuehue.
Sorry, but even the Mezco is just using the costume. DCC's? Direct copy.

Again, they're going after a realistic style, so the mezco is only half as thick as he should be. They pulled it off really well though and is one of my favorite figures.

> But I guess you'll say something along the lines of "but Marvel is different!
I hope English isnt your first language and you're not just a fuckwit, because this is some weakass translation of the implications i even stated.
Artists don't just make up faces on the spot. 90% of them will draw someone they're familiar with. Artists do this when they're just doing their own thing. So when JRJr did his Punisher, he actually based him on his uncle. When Mezco is doing him, it LOOKS like they're going for the Max look, but not quite, so it's someone else. Mezco isn't basing their Punisher on JRJr's style. It's their own thing, a generic realistic style to make sure the figures are as cross compatible as possible.

Something like this Frank Miller Batman will stick out a 3 foot wide human a cartoony-wide face should when placed with other DC or Marvel figures. Mezco's will fit right in with DCC's Icons, most of Hasbro's/Toy Biz's MLs, and the random Figuart/Figma Marvel figure that doesn't have a mushy sculpt. So even actor based figures will fit right in, because they're all done in a realistic style.

As I've said in other threads, I WANT to see a Humberto Ramos Spider-Man or Bachelo XMen figures, like we get from DCC. However, they're going to be treated apart from my other toys, because the style is completely different. They're art.
I'd love to see Marvel figures done the same way and it really isn't possible with doll clothes, because you can't get the same style unless you starch the fuck out of hteir costumes and never touch them. Also, real life spandex doesn't work the way like it does in comics, so they'd never be as accurate as a DCC figure.
>>
>>5892761
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Holy shit dude, type some more.
>Something like this Frank Miller Batman will stick out a 3 foot wide human a cartoony-wide face should
Actually... Don't, because you are so butthurt crazy mad when typing that you stop making sense. Holy fuck, make shorter sentences because you wander like crazy.

And it doesn't make you look too good when you have conflicting statements:
>You can't make something that matches the style!
>Well, I guess you can, but it doesn't work!
>Well there are examples that do work, but I say that they line up more with other lines!
>So I want the house style that Mezco is doing!
>But I actually want specific artist styles
>Which as I said, can't be done!
>Except for when they are done in the artist's style
>Which again, I don't want
>But I do

Seriously, fuck. I don't even think you can summarize what you are saying in one non-rambling sentence. I can! "I want Mezco to make artist styled Marvel figures, like what they did for DKR Batman." You try. One sentence. Compress everything you said into one sentence, so then we can understand you.
>>
I think both of you might be happier if you did something else with your time like, idk, literally fucking anything other than arguing with some other witless fuck on 4chan and filling up the thread with 10 page essays at one another.
>>
File: ramos spiderman.jpg (344KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ramos spiderman.jpg
344KB, 853x1280px
>>5893558
You're just arguing just to argue now by playing stupid.

This isn't possible for Mezco to do unless it's plastic, and that's missing the point of why their 1:Twelve line exists.
>>
>>5894235
Space Ghost has a full body fabric outfit (minus the gauntlets and head, I guess). What would be the difference? I'm not understanding where it wouldn't be possible with Spider-Man.
>>
File: gambit bachelo.jpg (94KB, 633x960px) Image search: [Google]
gambit bachelo.jpg
94KB, 633x960px
>>5894243
because spandex doesn't work like body paint, so his proportions won't be fully translated into 3d unless it's made completely of plastic. And that misses the point of what Mezco is doing with their dolls.

Same applies to Bachelo's work, who loves making stuff stick out everywhere around the characters, making his artwork look like a clusterfuck in almost every panel.
It's not really possible to do unless the doll is a heavily starched statue, missing the whole point.

Plus, if like they're DCC, there'd need to be shading and highlights, which would look awful on clothes.
>>
>>5894258
But like I pointed out they're doing it with Space Ghost and it looks fine. How would it not work for Spidey? It's the same type of body suit but with different colors. It even has the feet as part of the fabric. Plus they could do swappable heads for different eye expressions.
>>
File: ramos xmen.jpg (302KB, 847x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ramos xmen.jpg
302KB, 847x1280px
>>5894264
Space Ghost was drawn with a flat smooth body, with muscle mass showing through his profile.

Ramos Spider-Man is an ultra-cut muscled figure with angled definition everyhwere. That will not show through the spandex, because spandex doesnt work that way.
Ramos' style depends on that type of detail showing through. It has to be done the way DCC does it, otherwise it'll look half assed and why pay high prices for something $25 figures can do perfectly?

You'er barking up the wrong tree and trying to turn the one:12 line into something it isn't.
>>
>>5894300
But what about Ditko's style, that would work and it's the most recognizable version. Maybe Wieringo would be second, may he RIP.
>>
>>5894235
>>5894258
>>5894300
>REEEEEEEEEEEEING INTESIFIES
So the conversation moved from
>it's impossible to get artist specific styles
to
>it's impossible to get this one arbitrarily picked artist style that nobody but myself brought up because it's impossible to capture in fabric
all because you were found out as some faggot that forgot about DKR Batman and Dredd and how Mezco can perfectly well do artist styles perfectly. That's really clever of you, except you wrote it all down and everyone can see what a fucking retard you actually are, despite you trying to revise history. Maybe do the childish thing and remove your old posts, then no one can see how fucking dumb you are. Until you do, congrats on fumbling every talking point you've ever put forward, you dumb cock.
>>
>>5894306
>two dead creators
well, in the unlikely event anyone knows who they are enough to support $80 toys, their style would work pretty well.

But again, this is missing the point of Mezco's line or just make it really limited in what they'd actually be producing.
I for one wouldn't be buying as many of Mezco's figures if they were only producing a very narrow group of artists who have a more realistic style.
It'd be a really half assed version of what DCC is doing, because nothing prevents them from doing any style ( except for maybe Dave McKean or Bill Senkkeriairnarwitz). Wheras Mezco, a whole lot of shit prevents them from actually doing what DCC does, just because you want doll clothes on comic styled figures.
>>
>>5894352
Ditko's still alive and it's kind of stupid to say nobody knows who they are enough to buy their stuff. It might be true in your case but Dredd was designed after some guy's work that few could name.
>>
>ctrl+f Revoltech
>0 results

So, how about that revoltech spidey?
>>
>>5894375
The upcoming one?
>>
>>5894375
It's based on Yamaguchi's design, not early Spider-man. Irrelevant to the thread.
>>
>>5894378
Yeah, they showed an unpainted proto of it at winder WonFes. If i remember right it's more modern style than first appearance, sadly, but it does look pretty promising.
>>
File: revoltech-spider-man-feat.png (391KB, 610x350px) Image search: [Google]
revoltech-spider-man-feat.png
391KB, 610x350px
>>5894375
>>5894386
It looks weird, the shoulders kill it for me. I don't know why they can't cap the shoulders like SHF does with their figures.
>>
>>5894392
Wow, yeah you're right about those shoulders. I can see how they're meant to help posing, but unless they're going to go through the trouble of having the red/black web pattern on the joint itself then there're going to be a big red baboon asses between his torso and arms.
>>
File: lil batmen.jpg (1MB, 2448x1624px) Image search: [Google]
lil batmen.jpg
1MB, 2448x1624px
>>5894366
>Ditko's still alive
>the lizard people are lying to you.jpg

> it's kind of stupid to say nobody knows who they are
Don't blame me for the truth. When was the last time DC Collectibles did anything based on something not modern? DRK doesn't work, because of the animated movie coming out recently.
Shit, does anyone that didnt read comics in the 90s and 00s know who Mike Weiringo is?

>Dredd was designed after some guy's work that few could name.
As i said, that style fits within their line. Just like if a Mike or Steve figure were made.
Anyone who has a more stylized... syle would not. That Punisher from earlier? IT'd be half assed because comic book spandex ≠ real life spandex.
If you want a classic Punisher that is drawn true to the comics, it'd have to come out like these beauties. Completely plastic.

>>5894345
>hue: the post
Don't worry, I read what you said, but i really can't take you seriously
>>
File: tmnt revoltech 1556.jpg (82KB, 675x556px) Image search: [Google]
tmnt revoltech 1556.jpg
82KB, 675x556px
>>5894409
>>5894392
Yamaguchi's influence on the line as a whole as killed the Revoltech line to me.

Stuff like this, i really really wanted to buy these and tried to ignore shoulders, but seeing them in person looks even worse.

Also, caps wouldn't really work, unless they're better integrated. They've done caps before, but they looked like shoulder pads. Very unnatural.
>>
>>5894432
>Don't blame me for the truth
But it's not true. It's kind of aggravating that you present it like it is, too. This is barely even subjective on my part because like you said this is a $70 line. This isn't for girls with Bazinga shirts or Chads that wear Cap tank tops to work out. That is Marvel Legends territoy, maybe. One:12 is for the hardcores and they would almost all know who Ditko is and value his designs. He's the co-creator of Spider-Man it's like saying nobody that collects this line would know Kirby. He is maybe behind McFarlane in recognizability and even then it's a toss up.

I'll give you Wieringo, and maybe that was a mistake on my part to bring him up but he laid down the ground work for modern Spider-Man and a lot of hardcore comic collecting millennials would say they recognize his work because that's what they grew up with.
>>
>>5894455
> they would almost all know who Ditko is and value his designs. He's the co-creator of Spider-Man it's like saying nobody that collects this line would know Kirby. He is maybe behind McFarlane in recognizability and even then it's a toss up.
Yeah, but what are the majority of toys made from?

DCC is one of those companies who sells to nerds and makes toys based directly on artists or the comics.
When was the last time they made something based on Kirby or anything non-modern?

Closest thing is for the cartoons, but that's casualfag territory.

Sorry, but there's more profit to be had by pandering to modern comic fans and casual nostalgifags.

Still, this is besides the point, in that they'd be severely limited in producing replicas that fits with the type of dolls they're releasing.

If they want to do it right, they should just take DCC's route and produce another line for perfect comic/movie/cartoon articulated replicas. Making these into a doll would look really bad.
And it's bad enough that doll clothes in itself can look awful, so even here, I'm skipping out on Captain America because of the cloth they're using for him.
>>
>>5894484
>Yeah, but what are the majority of toys made from?
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand your argument here. We're not talking about other toys, we're talking about One:12. DCC isn't our topic. One:12 are expensive figures that are made for hardcore toy collectors and comic fans. I don't really understand what we're arguing about right now because you're saying nobody that would buy One:12 knows Ditko but it's not true and then you're talking about DCC which is like $20 figures and I don't get the connection.

I feel like you're walking me in circles for no reason other than being amused by it which is fine but I guess I'm done.
>>
File: kirby new gods.jpg (125KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
kirby new gods.jpg
125KB, 375x500px
>>5894500
>I'm sorry, but I really don't understand your argument here.
Just that it's unlikely that they'd get figures made. Again, showing what the market is like only shows that there really isn't much of one for older styles.

> you're talking about DCC which is like $20 figures and I don't get the connection.
Because DCC's market is for comic nerds and even they don't do older characters anymore, unless there's something new based on those older designs.
This is an active market, so it only shows what comic nerds really want.

But this is just a side point. The main point was that Mezco would be really limited in what characters they can make if they settled on styles that fit their dolls and still look comic book accurate.
It's better that they'd just do it only in plastic, instead of half assing it with dolls.

Have Kirby's New Gods from 2008, which is probably the last line DCC did that was based on something not new.
>>
>>5891455
I feel like the head could use a different sculpt. But maybe we get another head variant with this one
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.