[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Customs General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 96

File: _cg10.jpg (373KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
_cg10.jpg
373KB, 1000x1000px
Post your custom projects here; mods, fixes, repaints, dios, effects parts, accessories, 3D printed stuff, or whatever else you're working on.

Offer tips and advice, ask for help, post tutorials/guides, and have fun!
>>
Here's some tips from the previous threads:

Beginners: practice on cheap figures first.

For sculpting on figures: use 2-part epoxy putty like Aves apoxie or fixit.

For tools: try a basic carving/sculpting set like the kind arts & crafts stores have, and calipers for symmetry.
Dental tools have also been said to work well.
Also, using a Dremel is recommended. Minimites (the small $20-25 ones) are fine for starting out, but the battery life is poor. Upgrade to a corded one only if you want to get deeper into customizing. They are useful for stuff outside of the hobby though, so it's a good investment regardless.

For paints: use acrylics. Paint in multiple, thin coats. Brands like Vallejo/P3/Citadel are recommended, because of pigment quality.

Use a sealer when finished to protect your work. There are matte varieties and sealers that give a glossy look. As with painting, use multiple thin coats.

A flex shaft attachment on a Dremel is a godsend and relatively inexpensive. The grinding shield is also pretty useful, but you can improvise one using a cut open soda bottle.
>>
Also, there is a guide in the works, by mellow

http://pastebin.com/yiZV3s0R

Give feedback/critiques to help improve it.
>>
File: 34590581.png (675KB, 1000x1060px) Image search: [Google]
34590581.png
675KB, 1000x1060px
From last thread:
Looking for leads on commission artist for custom figure face plate and hair piece.

Like those custom figma faces posted except it's for an RAH Sakura. Want to turn her into BB (pic). Right now can only find a way to get the clothes from Etsy/Deviantart.

Looking for some artist who'd be able to make a custom expression and long PVC hair mold or mod to replace the very short hair. Their quality beats price as a concern.

Appreciate any clues on where to look.
>>
File: 89050242.png (349KB, 485x554px) Image search: [Google]
89050242.png
349KB, 485x554px
Where's a good place to get casting resin, and silicone in Australia?
>>
>>5885541
>Looking for some artist who'd be able to make a custom expression and long PVC hair mold or mod to replace the very short hair. Their quality beats price as a concern.

You're not going to get custom made PVC hair. Soft PVC is mixed plasticizer and other junk and injection molded under like several tonnes. The best you'll do is a flexible polyurethane resin, which probably won't be as tough. And it'll be pretty expensive. Just a fair warning to you.
>>
>>5885428
Stupid question, but can plastic bonders fuse any two kinds of plastic together? Or does it have to be the same plastic from the same source mold?
>>
>>5885656
Hearns Hobbies in Richmond, Victoria is pretty good at getting/sourcing both of these.
>>
>>5886063
>fuse any two kinds of plastic together?
Pretty much...

http://www.thistothat.com/
http://info.craftechind.com/blog/bid/323475/Stick-to-it-A-Guide-to-the-Best-Glue-for-Plastic
>>
Any suggestion or current customizing of the PAK miku hair? That is the only injustice about the figure.
>>
>>5887490
Saw off the pigtails at the scalp, remove the hair from the pigtail bases, glue the pigtails back on from the square hairties, drill the peg hole deeper into the head as needed.
>>
>>5887614
The drill in the head was the worrying part. What tool would you suggest to drill with?
>>
>>5886063
For action figures plastic, anything with MEK (like Plastruct) as an active ingredient will actually -fuse- the pieces through surface melting, not by creating a capillary bond like conventional CA glues. For example, MEK could bond the softer plastic of, say, a figure's arm to the hard plastic of its chest. Not sure why you'd want to actually do that, unless you're Sid from Toy Story, but whatever. And God help you if you use MEK on anything other than non-detailed pieces.

For simple bonding, just use CA glue. It'll work 99% of the time with figure parts.
>>
>>5885426
whats that on the top left? it looks like jibanyan
>>
>>5887624
A drill.
>>
>local toy collector store has used/heavily-enjoyed toy bargain bins
>any 3 for 10 bucks
>owner sometimes goes 4 or 5 for 10 if he likes you
>full of wresting figures and other good stuff for custom fodder

Aww shit, gonna up my game this week.
>>
>>5887723
brilliant, never would have thought of it
>>
File: 20160902_024632.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_024632.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
> 2 hours worth of time
> my back and fingers are killing me

This is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.
>>
File: 20160902_024715.jpg (509KB, 779x1384px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_024715.jpg
509KB, 779x1384px
and now I have to finish this since I have already spent $40 worth on this project
>>
>>5889487
>>5889489
...Why did you use an epoxy to sculpt that? You could have made a better looking end result with styrene. For hard line work it's the easiest way, and the way that gives the best results.
>>
File: WP_20160902_22_19_17_Pro[1].jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160902_22_19_17_Pro[1].jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
Converted NECA 1954 Godzilla into Jirass,he's so much happy now.
>>
>>5889487
>>5889489
Who are you making?
>>
Not quite the right place to ask, but I don't roll in any more appropriate circles. Anyone know/is an artist that draws alright robots? I've been having a bit of trouble getting proportions and joint placement right on one I'm working on and I think a good drawing or two would really help.
>>
>>5892353
Maybe /ic/ can help with the drawing part?

For proportions, I would suggest using a gundam model or some other robot figure as reference to sketch from. If you don't have one, maybe someone would be willing to pose theirs and take some pics for you.
>>
>>5892367
I have plenty of reference figures, but none of them are quite right, especially with the chest and head. I've tried a few sketches of my own, but I'm not much better with the proportions drawing than I am with sculpting. But ic's a good idea. I'll try one more drawing and then see if I can get some critique that way. Might be a bit easier than working from scratch.
>>
I'm pretty tool illiterate. What's the best Dremel for Apoxie, plastic and maybe MDF? Like what's the difference between the 4000, 3000, and 200 aside from accessories? Are the more expensive ones for heavy duty stuff or is it a quality/precision thing? Or is the Wen brand one good enough? I know corded is better than cordless, but that's about it.
>>
>>5895794
WEN is more than fine, that's what I use. I haven't been able to find a quick release chuck that will work with it, though.
>>
File: 31MGyrXrX5L.jpg (14KB, 258x500px) Image search: [Google]
31MGyrXrX5L.jpg
14KB, 258x500px
>>5895813
It feels kind of weird spending only 15 bucks on a power tool, but if I can drill through apoxie by hand with sculpting tools, I guess I really don't need more than that, huh?

I saw this on Amazon too and I can already think of a half dozen uses for it with my current project alone. Any idea if the WEN fits in it?
>>
>>5895820
>Any idea if the WEN fits in it
No idea, sorry.

And really the price on WEN more reflects upon how overpriced Dremel is based on brand name alone rather than the quality of WEN. It's anecdotal (and I'm sure there's duds out there) but my WEN has been kicking for 4 years with continuous weekly usage and it cost me $20.

Dremel is just a brand that has become a ubiquitous name for the rotary tool, like Q-Tips for cotton swabs. It's no worse than WEN for a typical customizer's needs, but in my experience it's not better, either.
>>
>>5895827
Alright, thanks a lot. Might spend a bit more for a dremel just to make sure it fits, but worst case scenario, I'm sure I can just jury rig something if I'm feeling frugal.
>>
File: whitekira.jpg (23KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
whitekira.jpg
23KB, 480x480px
I'm planning on giving an SAS JoJo figure a very slight paint job, and just wanted to post my plan and see if I was missing anything I should be doing.

Step 1: Get good quality small brushes and acrylic gold paint from art/craft store

Step 2: Practice painting hair on an amiibo first

Step 3: Try and paint the hair of my Kira so that (pic related) ends up like (link related). https://archive-media.nyafuu.org/toy/image/1470/29/1470299713339.jpg

Thin the paint first, multiple coats, carefully and slowly. Is there anything I'm missing, and should a Gold paint achieve what I'm looking for? Do I need to get a sealer for just a hair paintjob; and if so, do I need to get any kind of tape or something to cover the rest of the face of the head piece (it's removable) so sealer won't affect it?
>>
>>5895834
You'll probably want to mask with tape regardless of sealer, and while a top coat or sealer isn't /strictly/ needed, it's always a good idea.

Metallic paint isn't always the best choice. Personally, I'd use just yellow or green or whatever (i'm color blind) and then put a glossy or semi clear coat over it, but that's a bit more of a gray area.
>>
>>5895834
Gold paint will look weird. It never comes out right on its own and needs an underlying base coat to actually look halfway decent. Plus the metallic flecking will look bizarre. Unless you're airbrushing over silver to get a robotic metal look, gold paint is not a good option.

You can achieve that effect with a hue scale of yellow in just 3 values. A darkened yellow base, a mid-tone dirty yellow, and then a whitened yellow for highlights. Yellow paint is hard to deal with because the pigments aren't exactly strong, so if you're brave enough to put down a flat white primer coat you'd get better results.

Separate all pieces down as far as they can go, and then mask off everything else. Always do a top clear coat when done.
>>
>>5895859
>>5895865

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to stay away from Gold paint and protect that Bowie face with some proper tape. Or keep the hair as is til I'm more comfortable practicing on cheaper figures to get the proper yellow-gold tone right, I'd hate to fuck up a near $50 figure.
>>
File: GG4E08-6.png (206KB, 678x509px) Image search: [Google]
GG4E08-6.png
206KB, 678x509px
Fuck, I should not have played Gotcha Force again. At least I know what my next project will be.
>>
>>5895872
Honestly, amiibos might not be the best sort of thing to practice on for this sort of thing, because they mostly use flat textures. What I would do is hit up a comic shop or a yard sale and try to pick up some cheap McFarlane figures or plastic animals or anything with a similarly detailed, textured sculpt. Painting a surface like Kira's hair is a considerably different beast than painting an amiibo.
>>
>>5895834
Nobody wants your jojo faggotry.
>>
>>5896918
>Projecting this hard
>>
I accidentally bought a cordless dremel instead of a corded one and i hate this piece of shit, I feel like it runs outta juice so fast. anybody else experienced this?
>>
>>5897064
Where'd you buy it? Most stores accept 'bought the wrong thing' as a fine reason for return. Though I guess if it was Amazon, it might be too much of a hassle to ship it back and wait.
>>
>>5896716
shit, now i want gotcha figures.
>>
New semester! This time around I'm taking Toy Design 1. The topic is 'action figure' so over the course of the semester we will be designing and prototyping action figures with new IP of some description. I am SUPER excited, I'll post progress as I can.
>>
File: IMG_0067.jpg (696KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0067.jpg
696KB, 1920x1280px
Bill "Slade" Wilson
>>
>>5899337
To me looks more like Sheppard wearing one of those Ancient tactical suits.
>>
>>5899348
No, it's Bill Wilson.
>>
File: tumblr_m9365ftMq11ru293i.jpg (22KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9365ftMq11ru293i.jpg
22KB, 500x375px
>>5885426
anyone here know what i can use for batsuit-esque cases? i'm thinking of buying loose Kenner Batman figures and putting them in a case like pic related.
>>
File: 20160908_190345.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160908_190345.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>
>>5901119
Sebulba-Man?
>>
>>5900953
Styrene, frosted acrylic, thin clear plastic, and an LED.
>>
Any tips for painting with enamels? I've got good brushes and a clean, smooth surface, but I can't seem to put down a smooth coat of paint.
>>
Heres a jet bike make from a broken Yamaha bike
>>
File: jetbike.jpg (585KB, 997x1500px) Image search: [Google]
jetbike.jpg
585KB, 997x1500px
>>5901703
Forgot pic lol
>>
>>5900953
IKEA Okänd

remove back glass
add roof with small hole, LED, and diffuser
make backdrop with cardstock
done
>>
>>5901191
Primer.

Or don't use enamels.
>>
File: image.jpg (236KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236KB, 960x720px
Made a NECA 1989 Joker,any thoughts?
>>
>>5902118
It might be cool, but your camera is ass.

I mean it actually looks like you put a camera in your butt then flexed your sphincter and used it to click the shutter.
>>
>>5901706
Whats with the giant coathanger on the front for?
>>
>>5902125
The Joker made me do it!He said he'll kill me if i didnt use my ass!
>>
File: image.jpg (188KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188KB, 960x720px
>>5902118
>>
>>5902118
The correct term, without sounding like a culturally dead melenial, is to refer to either the actor or director. You made a "Nicholson Joker" or a "Tim Burton Joker"
>>
>>5902277
Not him but I've been saying '89 Joker since the 90s, this differentiates him from '66 Joker. What's so wrong about that?
>>
>>5902144
get him at had and it'll be good
>>
>>5901119
>>5901170
>Sebulba-Man?
Spider-sebulba, actually
>>
>>5901119
That concept seems so weird to me, so I've gotta ask: "For what purpose?"
>>
Am I being silly for not wanting to copy an existing figure's joints for a scratch build? I mean, there are only so many ways to make an elbow, right?
>>
File: mod podge.jpg (16KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
mod podge.jpg
16KB, 355x355px
Hello, I plan on repainting a figure and putting clothes on it. Will sealing the paint with Mod Podge good enough to keep the paint from rubbing off on the clothes?
>>
>>5904100
just use paint sealer, make sure to get the right one depending on the finish you want (gloss or matte)
>>
File: 1344879305095.jpg (23KB, 227x214px) Image search: [Google]
1344879305095.jpg
23KB, 227x214px
>trying to find 3d models of lego pieces to mod and then 3d print
>ldraw and leocad don't have the pieces I want
>but they have all the simpsons pieces
>>
>>5905050
>they have all the simpsons pieces
Are they accurate?
>>
File: fishmanHead_v1.png (422KB, 940x1060px) Image search: [Google]
fishmanHead_v1.png
422KB, 940x1060px
>>5905072
I guess, I didn't really pay attention to them, I just think they look really bad

Speaking of looking bad, I modified another lego alien head to make fishmen, going to print them tomorrow and hopefully they turn out ok, I haven't tried printing at this scale yet
>>
Does anyone deliberately buy bootlegs for parts? Is it a good idea to do so?
I've got my eye on a shop that sells Mr Super Clear and Hobby Top Coat for a nice price in my country but which should I get? I tried to research and I get conflicting info over which is lacquer based, which is okay to use for acrylic paint etc, if it helps I want to use the figma archetype next as a base to make some kind of mecha musume. Seems like gunpla people use top coat and bjd circles use super clear, it would be interesting to know why.
>>
>>5905692
Super clear uses a stronger solvent. It is more durable but will attack enamel and acrylic paints underneath.
>>
>>5905692
I've had rather good success with the bootleg Archetype flesh versions (never tried the clear ones yet). Joints are usually strong enough (though ball-socket joints can have defects from time to time) and flash or mold imperfections aren't terribly bad usually. Great bases for anime-style girls. Piece of advice on the She, put her chest in boiling water for a few seconds (or heat with a hairdryer) to soften her breasts, then punch them both inward while holding them under cold water to warp them in a less 'sagging' shape. It's a simple fix that does wonders to the overall appearance.

If you need a real titty-monster for a base, go with a bikini Sonico bootleg. Joints will be squeaky-tight, but they're basically decent hourglass-figure bases.
>>
>>5905801
Sounds like they're the same sorta thing for the same job? Correct me if I'm wrong.

>>5906331
The Sonico bootleg sounds like a good idea, I just wish I didn't live with nosy family, haha.
I don't like the proportions of the original Archetype so I preordered the Next version. Now I'm imagining a Sonico body on those legs...
>>
>>5906369
I have the clear She Next from WonFest last year, you'll love her. Articulation is worlds better than the old Archetype's due to the newer layout of joints. I'm interested to see how the Chinese manage in bootlegging the Archetype Next series (don't believe current EBay listings, no Archetype Nexts have been bootlegged yet). My only experience with bootlegs of newer models is with Snake...and that was a clusterfuck of problems. Still, China MIGHT fair moderately well with the newer Archetype's, time will tell.
>>
>>5906369
>Sounds like they're the same sorta thing for the same job?
Yes both are clear paint, but you need to be aware what paint type is chemically weaker than what other paint type you're using or you'll end up with a mess.
>>
>>5906382
Yeah, I'm really excited for it so it was great to hear her getting moved to September. I'm surprised I don't see more customs floating around on the internet when the old Archetype is everywhere (even if it's a bootleg). Do old style heads swap okay with your clear She Next?
>>
>>5885426
Requesting image of the tutorial for water effect in a fishbowl/mason jar.
>>
>>5903687
P... Please respond! I don't want people calling me a toy plagiarist.
>>
>>5885426
anyone got that 'perfect' spiderman some guy made and posted the past year that had elements from like 5-6 spiderman 6" figures mashed up?
>>
>>5906719
This?
http://ponytale.lalaparadise.com/awesome-figure-water-display-technique-k-on-nakano-azusa/

I lost the link to another tutorial but it was basically mixing a glue (pva?) and water to dilute but you had to keep it viscous enough for the figure to float
>>
>>5906720
Hell no, I think there's only so many ways of doing a it and it's not like you're mass producing a copy of a revoltech ball joint.

Speaking of which I'd recast some Archetypes myself for multiple bases and then buy joints online if I could.
>>
File: 20160831_165306.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160831_165306.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
So it's really early on, but I figure enough initial progress has been made to start getting some criticism.

Seeing as Valve finally did some Dota 2 figs with figma, I've really wanted a Faceless Void figure. I had some sculpey laying around, literally no work to do while in office, so I started sculpting.

This is my first attempt at doing anything in this scale, and sculpey doesn't seem like the best choice either, but I figure it's not an awful attempt. I'm waiting on the base figure, so I started with the weapon, his Timebreaker. After a few hours I realized I'd have to cast this somehow (suggestions?) since I think fired sculpey will be way too fragile. I plan on finishing it this week, maybe get some green stuff to get better detail retention.
>>
>>5906719
been waiting to do this with my D-Arts Mewtwo but I'm having trouble coming up with a way to make a bottom portion for the display I want
>>
>>5907045
>>5907223

Yes! Thanks guys, much appreciated
>>
File: IMG_2458.jpg (171KB, 734x979px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2458.jpg
171KB, 734x979px
I'm not sure where to go with this. The Revojoints are what I thought would be a fun idea, but they kind of suck. I might just go to my lcs where they have a couple of schoolgirl figmas marked down, get those, and transplant limbs and potentially paint them to match Panda's skintone.
>>
File: IMG_20160913_205700 (Medium).jpg (73KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160913_205700 (Medium).jpg
73KB, 768x1024px
A little update from the previous thread, i've reworked the eyes it's easier to cast them now.
>>
>>5902277
>> "melenial"
>>
File: 640351073.jpg (174KB, 349x494px) Image search: [Google]
640351073.jpg
174KB, 349x494px
I feel like this is a stupid question but I'm anonymous so I can pretend I'm someone else next time I post if people laugh at me.

Anyway, I'm making a robot girl and I'm giving her magnetic hands. Using 2mm rare earth magnets, (or another size, that's just what I have now) is there any feasible way I could make accessories levitate? The ideal goal would be something like this, with a hologram made from clear plastic levitating in between her hands. I have plenty of ways I can do it without the levitation, so I don't need other solutions, I just think levitation would really bring it to the next level.
>>
>>5911492
I don't think so. The thing with levitation is you need a WIDE base of one pole-end and the levitating piece needs to also be wide enough with magnets repelling to prevent it from just flipping over to the opposite poles. Unless this was a BIG figure I don't think it's possible, sorry.

Got any pics or drawings of what your robogirl will look like, anon?
>>
>>5911509
That's sort of what I figured, but I had to ask.

I have a potato camera so no pics yet, sorry. I have a lot of downtime at work, so I've kind of been planning out a toy line idea and she'll be the first. (Probably only, but whatever) Her legs are like a mermaid without the tailfins and her arms are similar, but smaller. I didn't want to give her hands, but the magnets give her some accessory options and then I got the levitation idea since I was adding magnets anyway.
>>
File: globe-base-levitation-bois.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
globe-base-levitation-bois.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>5911492
It's not possible since your hologram will be pulled toward one of the magnet.
When you see things like pic related it's because there is an electromagnet in the base that constantly adapt its magnetic field.
>>
>>5911520
Mermaid robutt huh? I think there's a Shinki that did that armor-type. Best of luck to you!
>>
>>5911736
Ah, okay, I didn't know about the electromagnet aspect. Oh well, not a huge deal, just something I thought of since I had magnets anyway.

>>5911838
And it's not so much a mermaid - Morticia Addams style dress is a better description now that I think of it. Just without the feet and legs underneath - the skirt IS her leg(s). I'll take a shitty picture when this bit of apoxie dries in the morning
>>
File: gremlin_by_hontor.jpg (95KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
gremlin_by_hontor.jpg
95KB, 1200x800px
>>5909833
Looking good man!

What type of resin do you use to cast? I wanted to get into making little critters, vaguely like of pic related, no clue what to start with. (I didn't sculpt this guy, I'm not that good yet.)
>>
File: Batman3.jpg (240KB, 1314x1824px) Image search: [Google]
Batman3.jpg
240KB, 1314x1824px
>>5885426

Multiverse parts mix well with Hasbro bucks.

I'm currently working on this, my vision of Batman. No bulky armor, no silly overdone junk. Just a nice, highly-poseable, durable 4" figure.

I need to get the shin guards/shin blades from MU Nova and paint them. also need to remove the detail form his chest piece and sand the back of the logo on the cowl so I can glue it in place. Gonna replace his forelegs with Doctor Strange forelegs I think to keep the unbroken black color.

And for the final touch, i'll get some Batarangs from Vortious or the Microman figure.
>>
>>5909833
What exactly are you making? It's cute.
>>
>>5911953
The master is sculpted in polymer clay like Sculpey. And the mold is made of silicon. The resin used here is urethane resin. It is easy to use and cures fast.
>>5912455
Thank you it's my first "toy" i hope it will be nice.
>>
>>5912636
*silicone
>>
>>5911736
Not that anon, but couldn't you still manage a levitation by delicately managing the magnetic fields of four magnets? I thought there was a case of repulsion where N to N helped float it while S to S did the same, and the two repulsing each other balanced it out.

I'm likely talking out of my ass, but I thought that was one way to manage a levitation effect.
>>
>>5912449
Post more pics anon it looks good
>>
I've tried sculpting with Aves Apoxie (made sure to do the equal parts A + B thing), and while I do wait for over 24 hours for a full cure, what is it about it that it becomes soft and crumbly if I try to wetsand it? (for smoothening, as well as ventilation reasons).

When I cut into it with a knife or chisel, the parts kind of crumble in a soft way.

Do I have to apply a coat of Future before I try to do anything to it?
>>
>>5917512
How long ago did you buy the putty?
>>
>>5917518
The rest of the putty in the tubs seem to be in good condition.

If I apply water on top of the mixture when sculpting, it does smooth out nicely with a shaping tool.

Then again, the weakness/crumblyness comes out when I use it in minute amounts for details or minor sculpting/filling by < 1mm.

When did I buy it? Uhh, about 5-6 years ago and put it into cold storage?
>>
>>5912449
>And for the final touch, i'll get some Batarangs from Vortious or the Microman figure.
You could make your own from some plasticard, or from those fake credits cards you get in the mail.
>>
>>5912636
You're awesome mate, thank you!
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Posted this a few threads back. Arms are going to be silicone over a plastic, articulated under arm.
>>
File: image.jpg (566KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
566KB, 1200x1600px
>>5909833
Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

>>5917894
Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Just part testing. Doing up a Dark Souls knight with a hint of Bloodborne thrown in.
>>
File: branwen lewd harness.jpg (376KB, 893x1679px) Image search: [Google]
branwen lewd harness.jpg
376KB, 893x1679px
Made a quick /lewd/ bondage harness out of 20ft long plastic chain I picked up in my local art store.

Sculpted the neck thing, and the handcuff. How does people make perfect circle when sculpting anyway? It's super hard to do
>>
>>5918465
I assume most people use plastic rod/tubing of various gauges to get a perfectly circular shape/accessory.
>>
>>5918465
What body is that?
>>
>>5918715
Not him, but that's the Revoltech Queen's Blade Branwen.
>>
>>5917894
what resin should i use to cast toys like MOTU or GI Joe?
>>
>>5917776
>http://www.myplasticblog.com/studio-visit-2/paul-shih-diy-tutorial/
>http://www.myplasticblog.com/studio-visit-2/paul-shih-diy-tutorial-part-ii/

This helped me
>>
Fuck you Jin
>>
>>5918872
Check out some of the liquid plastics Smooth On releases. Some of their products are used for some toy prototypes.
>>
>>5909833
I want one when you're done if you make multiple.
>>
File: Batdate.jpg (104KB, 556x780px) Image search: [Google]
Batdate.jpg
104KB, 556x780px
Some progress. Glossed his torso parts and gave him better legs.
>>
>>5917760

Good point. I do have a computer-controlled die cutter. I'll give it a try and see how it turns out.
>>
File: Superparts2.jpg (99KB, 468x849px) Image search: [Google]
Superparts2.jpg
99KB, 468x849px
>>5919270

Also, starting on a Superman kitbash as well. I'm in love with this Hasbro buck. It's the "Jim Lee Cyclops" and it's been used for more than a few figures a this point. Makes a great generic-superhero base body.

Head is a placeholder.
>>
File: 20160917_001114-1.jpg (1MB, 1848x2706px) Image search: [Google]
20160917_001114-1.jpg
1MB, 1848x2706px
Trying to paint movie DD as the all new one, this isn't the final paint aplication tho
>>
>>5919332
Pretty cool.

4" Jim Lee Cyclops DD behind him or is that the newer 6" Bucky Cap one? Hard to tell with the angled perspective.
>>
>>5919363
It's the latter. The former has a more pronounced and square jaw.
>>
>>5919363
Yeah is the one from the hobgoblin wave
>>
File: garden.jpg (243KB, 581x778px) Image search: [Google]
garden.jpg
243KB, 581x778px
I re-sculpted my first inklings head and I'm 100% happier with it, you can't sand air sry polymer clay but you can get it completely smooth just by wetting your finger and smoothing it out. I made her a big sister out of a Hoihoi blank body, too!
>>
>>5918398
Dude I absolutely adore your work and it is at least half of the reason I always follow Customs threads, in hooe of seing some new stuff of yours.
Do you have a website or a tumblr kr fb or anything with your customs?
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 325x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 325x433px
Hey guys, thought I'd do a minor update with a question.

Update on Loli/Papi/Shota:
Redid the torso design from the ground up recently with some changes to the articulation.
1) Shoulders will use v-shape layout like Revoltechs for the ball-joint's peg.
2) Hips will NOT be like a figma's, instead having a fixed set of ball-pegs the thighs will connect to with sockets.
3) [This is the biggest change] Torso will have 4 cuts in the sculpt to use double-jointed ball-pegs to connect the chest-to-diaphragm, diaphragm-to-abs, and abs-to-hips. That's right, the new torso layout for the youth protomorphs will have a wider, more 'natural' range of motion to better simulate a spine. Or at least that's the goal. Testing will be needed.

As for curvy/Ceri, nothing new, though lessons learned from Shota/Loli/Papi are already helping me out for future layouts.

I also have another figure about 2/3rds designed that is going to be a surprise for later. All I will say is that while it IS a 1/12 scale figure, it is NOT a human.

And now for an unrelated question (no, seriously):

What's a good figure with a realistic or close to realistic-looking sculpt of an Asian woman's face? My plan is to reverse-engineer a QT Asian girl face from a figure into CAD form to tweak here and there. I currently am eyeing two possibilities but might need better suggestions. Pic related is a sandstone print from Shapeways $18 shipped, the other I'm tempted to get is the Play Arts 1/10 Selphie Tilmitt figure off eBay for $25 shipped (plus Selphie's yellow dress can be removed for lewds). Anything under $30 is what I'm trying to grab.
>>
>>5920164

These two are really cute
>>
File: Photo (36).jpg (146KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Photo (36).jpg
146KB, 640x480px
>>5920338
Thank you! (pardon the rag in the background, I was doing some touch ups on the sculpted t-shirt and shoes on the HoiHoi to make her fit the character I imagined more, and I used that for cleanup)
>>
>>5920707
sorry, I left my tripcode on from /acg/ I was having someone visit my town.
>>
>>5920164
Really cute! The new addition looks great too.

>>5920183
Thanks for the compliments man! I'm afraid I don't post regularly enough to maintain any websites though.
>>
File: RaggedyAnn2.png (469KB, 723x359px) Image search: [Google]
RaggedyAnn2.png
469KB, 723x359px
>>5921118

comes with a weapon accessory too
>>
File: RaggedyAnn3.png (1MB, 1218x671px) Image search: [Google]
RaggedyAnn3.png
1MB, 1218x671px
>>5921118
>>5921121

electronic add-on sold separately
>>
>>5920338

Agreed.
>>
File: 20160920_121651.jpg (260KB, 906x643px) Image search: [Google]
20160920_121651.jpg
260KB, 906x643px
Anyone have any luck removing the hand pegs from ML Chameleon? I got the hand off of the peg just fine, but the rest of it is still in the arm pretty tightly. Suggestions?
>>
File: iblamespiderman.jpg (88KB, 1224x512px) Image search: [Google]
iblamespiderman.jpg
88KB, 1224x512px
>>5921955
How did you get the hand off of the ring? Did you wind up cutting the peg inside of it?

That ring/peg should come out if you just heat up the part so that it gets soft. Use a pair of pliers to grab as much of the ring as you can to avoid tearing it. I just did this to show how easy it should be--half a cup of water, 1 minute (or 1.5) in microwave, short soak to soften everything up, pinch hard (if hand it still attached, to avoid tearing the cross peg) and pull.
>>
>>5921989
>How did you get the hand off of the ring? Did you wind up cutting the peg inside of it?

I softened it first with hot water, but when I pulled the hand came loose. Nothing's broken though, because the peg is separated in the middle, very easy to reassemble onto the wrist hole joint.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll try pliers.
>>
>>5922010
If your pliers have teeth, put some cardstock or thick paper between the pliers and the plastic to avoid biting in too much.
>>
>>5885541

It part scripts won't be made of the same material but some of the model lets who are rather talented at sculpting that post 40k stuff on THE WAAAAGH! Forum probably have the skills to do the face sculpts you want, and a few of them may also be able to do the hair sculpts you want.

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/
>>
>>5922050
The part SCULPTS won't be made of the same material but some of the MODELERS who are rather talented at sculpting that post 40k stuff on THE WAAAAGH! Forum probably have the skills to do the face sculpts you want, and a few of them may also be able to do the hair sculpts you want.
>>
>>5922027

Haha, too late. Custom is finished now though. I did shaved down the pegs so I can swap them out easier now. Pics incoming.
>>
>>5922010

Some masking tape around the pliers would work too.

I pulled the hand off the peg on my Coulson heating it with a hairdryer. I've had better luck with hot water, but I've done it that way too.
>>
File: 10400524a8.jpg (93KB, 510x541px) Image search: [Google]
10400524a8.jpg
93KB, 510x541px
I just ordered Figure-rise Cell
[toydoesnthavespoilers]that will sit unbuilt in its box for the foreseeable future[/toydoesnthavespoilers]

I've never painted a kit with this kind of construction, any tips on how to keep from losing detail or gumming up the layered bits on the exoskeleton? I'm thinking of taping some paper to the inner surface of the light green outer pieces, so that I can peel it off after painting, along with any paint that gets inside the holes. I'm not sure what to do for the dark green inner pieces, though. Will I need to use masking fluid on them, or can I get away with no masking?
>>
File: Kagamine.Len.full.204243.jpg (329KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kagamine.Len.full.204243.jpg
329KB, 1280x720px
Best way to make a pair of little square rim glasses for a figma?
>>
>>5923033
Shit after I posted that i realized that question is better suited to the Plamo thread.

>>5923482
If you're good with an xacto knife you could try cutting it out of some black plastic sheet, then adding in tiny bits of clear plastic for lenses.
>>
>>5923520
Would never manage that I don't think, never handled an exacto knife before
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 480x640px
>>
>>5923033
Since it would seem that the spots are a separate piece from the outer plate, I would just paint the tops of them, Like, go through the instructions and determine what internal pieces are what and then do some pre-assembly painting. Also those fleshy bits I bet will benefit from a good wash
>>
File: 1474490688429.jpg (388KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1474490688429.jpg
388KB, 1200x1800px
Thought id save money with some leftover paint and figures. Don;t really like the actual pokemon designs anyway.

thoughts?
>>
>>5924200
What the actual fuck am I looking at anon?
>>
>>5924327
the best new meme that ever hit /vp/
>>28691749
>>
>>5924327
A soon to be serial killer.
>>
>>5924330
could have sworn you could cross board post, but maybe not
>>
Anyone got a guide on how to make a cloth hood? Cant find shit anywhere
>>
File: Shota Preview 1.jpg (64KB, 1037x776px) Image search: [Google]
Shota Preview 1.jpg
64KB, 1037x776px
>>5920292
Okay, sorry for the wait on preview pics. Here's the new Shota torso (loli will use retooled chest and hips). Debating on the 'equipped' hips being standard or as a separate option with the standard being with no balls and dick. Sorry for the mosaics, but blue-board and all.
>>
>>5923905
good job anon, I don't think I've ever looked at a toy and it make me say out loud "What the fuck..." until now
>>
>>5908789
sheeit, I was thinking of doing something similar (I'm assuming you were trying to add more articulation to a stiff figure). aren't there smaller revo joints?
>>
File: DSC_2453as.jpg (798KB, 1500x1069px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2453as.jpg
798KB, 1500x1069px
>>5922076
Pic. I just put the Iron Man hand and Tony Stark head on Chameleon's suited body.
>>
File: received_1157980844271397.jpg (43KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
received_1157980844271397.jpg
43KB, 540x960px
Finally finished my domino custom.
>>
File: 60608-3.jpg (41KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
60608-3.jpg
41KB, 450x600px
>>5926575
She used to look like this.
>>
File: weapn.jpg (442KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
weapn.jpg
442KB, 2560x1440px
So I took some time off to take a vacation; came back in finally put it all together. Have some green stuff and some clay shapers coming in tomorrow so it hopefully wont look like a 5 year old put it together once I've detailed it better and made it true.

Since Amiami decided to ship blanks early, I had to cancel my order; I guess I'll just buy some revolvers or cast figma joints and make my own base figure.

I also realized after putting it together, because I am dumb, that I needed to make some kind of stand for it while its still wet; I'm too lazy to pull it off the stand for now just for a picture.
>>
>>5926136
He looks more like Antonio Starkez, Tony's mexican cousin.
>>
File: IMG_3401.jpg (653KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3401.jpg
653KB, 1600x1200px
Custom Monster High dollhouse. I repainted a vintage Barbie dollhouse from 1978 and I added dollar store halloween decorations.

This will be a Xmass gift for my 8yo neice. I bet she will have a lot of fun with this!
>>
>>5926673
>Uncle Anon, Monster High dolls aren't even cool anymore
mark my words
>>
>>5926681
>that dusty shelf
>displaying more than a couple TF's

Nsh nan, there is no "niece".

>>5926673
Look man, you don't need to make up elaborate stories here, we don't judge. Style looks spot on though. I like it.
>>
>>5885426
i really love the look of the toys in the top right of the image, anyone have any info on them?
>>
File: IMG_3392.jpg (630KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3392.jpg
630KB, 1600x1200px
>>5926681
One day, man, one day.

>>5926696
Oh, I'm a 40yo man and I KNOW what I collect. Transformers, Power Rangers Megazords, Equestria Girls dolls (yes) and some random Lego/Mega Bloks.

The one who is madly into Monster High is my neice. For real.
Still, I did lie. Somewhat. She's not 8. She's 15. However, she have epilepsy since forever and a genetic disorder giving her the mind of a 8yo. Yup, my sis have guts but, heh, we learned to deal with it.

BTW, original colors here.
>>
File: image.jpg (376KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
376KB, 1600x1200px
>>5926673
Looks great!

Found a more appropriate helmet for my knight after salvaging it from an unfinished custom. I'm liking it so far.
>>
File: swimsuitpunisher.jpg (112KB, 465x540px) Image search: [Google]
swimsuitpunisher.jpg
112KB, 465x540px
What would a good body be for the Frankest Frank?
>>
>>5924680
you're not a good person
>>
>>5928890
that would be amazing I can't wait to see it
>>
File: venom_vector_by_tuax.jpg (53KB, 600x844px) Image search: [Google]
venom_vector_by_tuax.jpg
53KB, 600x844px
So I'm pondering of making Ultimate Venom out of the Space Venom BAF,

How does customizers draw the Venom logo though? If you look online there's a lot of really good custom Venom. Do they layer masking tape one by one? The Venom logo could easily make or break a custom Venom
>>
>>5927382
Whats that helmet from?

Also, anyone know of anythings I could use for blue fairy wings? Maybe figuarts size?
>>
>>5908789
A Panda fig? Nice.
>>
File: FQBVP06FMMCVQ8O.MEDIUM.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
FQBVP06FMMCVQ8O.MEDIUM.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>5924415
Fold a piece of cloth, draw or pin pattern on to it with the neck part on the fold.
Sew along dotted line and you have a hood
>>
>>5930090
>figuarts
kys
>>
>>5931025
Fucking thank you, finally cam get this done

>>5931113
no u
>>
>>5930039
Anyone? How do you draw a straight line in a 3D surface? Is there a trick for it?
>>
>>5931245
I imagine some sort of rub on decal would do it
>>
>>5920292
how important is scale?
kumik has some nice 1/6 sculpts
>>
File: DSC_0927.jpg (264KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0927.jpg
264KB, 1920x1080px
Lots of experience painting Warhammer, first time painting figures. Thinking about re-doing these for something to do. What's the best way to strip the existing paint? Does soaking figures in Dettol work like it does with painted plastic miniatures?
>>
>>5931245
>>
File: Suped up man.jpg (81KB, 453x783px) Image search: [Google]
Suped up man.jpg
81KB, 453x783px
Progress on my Project: Trinity. There's an advantage to the fact both figures I've used are on the same buck. Wonder Woman will be more difficult. But I'm considering making her using H.A.C.K.S.
>>
>>5931362
...I totally forgot about the Kumiks. Are the Chinese bootlegs okay in terms of sculpt-replication? Don't want to spend too much on a doll head I'm just using for making cross-section slices.

Either way, thanks, anon!
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (255KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
255KB, 1200x1600px
>>5885426
>>5885427
>>5885428
is there a list of male/female figures with good articulation that have a track record of being amenable to customization?

what about a list of junker figures to practice on? I've been scouring ebay but many of the cheap ones are gijoe tier or statue tier.
>>
>>5927013
You're a cool uncle, Anon.
>>
Someone knoes where I can find a pattern to do the top part of a kung fu/tai chi uniform as pic related?
Is for a 1/12 scale fig
>>
How easy is it to swap out the head in this guy?
>>
>>5932804
https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Legends-Infinite-Fighters-Hellcat/dp/B00NYZT8NS

I personally really like Hellcat. She's cheap, you can find her easily pegwarming your local stores on discount ($10.99 at my local TRU), decent blank body
>>
Anyone know where to get small metal swivels and joints and that kind of thing? I feel like I could totally build things like Pic related but I have no idea where to get the parts.
>>
>>5933806
Look into Hobby Base joints and Revoltech joints. They're available on HLJ and eBay too. eBay also has listings of random figma joints cannibalized from figures, though some have reported that duds appear in the piles, so the bigger the parts count the better your chances are of having good ones.
>>
>>5933895
I mean more like mechanical metal parts, like shit that would be used in real robotics
That does help though thanks
>>
>>5933909
You could buy pre-built gunpla (cheaper than new/unbuilt of equal grades) and cannibalize those parts. I haven't touched gunpla in years, but small kits today can be more mechanically intricate than they were back during the early 00's.
>>
>>5933552
Literally just heat up his head with a hair dryer until it seems soft-ish, then pop it right off with a soft tug.
>>
>>5933552
has anyone actually made one of these into a good figure?
>>
File: montage.jpg (54KB, 614x340px) Image search: [Google]
montage.jpg
54KB, 614x340px
>>5933806
http://makezine.com/2011/12/14/how-to-build-your-own-stop-motion-armatures/
>>
Can anyone think of a blank articulated body with down jacket on it? Preferably 6-7" scale. Trying to make a custom gift for my buddy, who is an ice core driller.
>>
File: STAORA.jpg (162KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
STAORA.jpg
162KB, 900x900px
>>5935128
Forgot pic
>>
File: NECA-Nathan-Drake-003.jpg (181KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
NECA-Nathan-Drake-003.jpg
181KB, 1500x1200px
Got the Neca Nathan Drake wanted to use the extra head on a 6''-7'' or 15.24cm-17.78cm to make a spartan or barbarian articulated figure. Mythic Legion has great range of body molds but the head/neck ball would require some drilling in which i don't have. Thanks for the help everyone
>>
>>5933806
Hobby stores for things like RC and trains might have what you're looking for. Google "metal hobby joints" and "metal ball joints" to see if there is anything that could work.
>>
>>5935128
Buy a base 1/6 figure, find 1/6 jackets.
>>
File: X Toys gear.jpg (166KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
X Toys gear.jpg
166KB, 1000x669px
>>5935128
http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/914.shtml
>>
File: IMG_20160928_215024.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160928_215024.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
First time sculpting here, just trying to make Magneto and sculpt a flatish straplike x 4 around his boots. Literally how? I'm struggling to make a straight cut on the clay. Any tips??
>>
File: clayUntitled.png (2KB, 442x294px) Image search: [Google]
clayUntitled.png
2KB, 442x294px
>>5937891
Roll out the clay into a rectangle in the desired thickness. Cut out the clay and apply it to the figure.

To make a uniform thickness, roll your clay between 2 guides/barriers of the desired height/thickness. You could use popsicle sticks, if you don't have a roller, a glass or unopened soda can will work.
>>
>>5933740
https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Legends-Infinite-Marvel%E2%80%99s-Blizzard/dp/B00NYZSZAU

Blizzard is a good male option, he's also a peg warmer and is basically a blank Bucky Cap body. The only downside is he has a full-face mask on, so you'll probably need to get a different head if you need facial features.
>>
>>5937973
Thanks anon you're a savior. I'm still struggling to make a uniform thickness, so I guess I'm off to 711 to get some ice cream & popsicles
>>
>>5937978
Do you know any cheapo Bucky Cap/Grim reaper body mold character with open hand?
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 640x846px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 640x846px
working on a dead pool. Modified the katanas and made them perpendicular.
>>
File: IMG_5168.jpg (92KB, 605x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5168.jpg
92KB, 605x920px
>>5938274
Even comes with alternate closed fists.
>>
>>5939429
I mean open open hand, rather than gripping hand; like Magneto controling magnetism open hand
>>
>>5938043
You're welcome. Consider making a paper template to test the fit on the figure, plus you'll be able to make the clay symmetrical for the other leg.
>>
File: IMG_20160929_213117.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160929_213117.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Sculpting noob anon again here, WTF? Is there a trick I'm missing? The apoxie putty sticks like motherfucker everywhere, and even when I roll it to uniform thickness I couldn't find a way to unstick it either from the can or the table.
>>
>>5939671
Nevermind, did my research and it seems like I missed out on the apoxie safety solution. Is there any homemade substitute out there?
>>
>>5939671
https://www.avesstudio.com/faq-s
>If Apoxie® Clay is to sticky to work with at first, allow the product to sit/rest for 20 minutes, as time passes the product will be less sticky and more form-able for detail.

>To keep the product from sticking to your hands try rubbing a bit of extra virgin olive oil on your finger tips to keep the product from sticking.

>Dipping your tools & fingers in cold water will keep Apoxie Sculpt from sticking to your surfaces and allow maximum details.

The old tips are to let the epoxy rest 30-45 minutes after mixing. It will still be workable for a couple hours.
>>
>>5901119
Holy shit im dying over here
>>
File: IMG_5171.jpg (414KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5171.jpg
414KB, 1200x1600px
Waiting for some paint and parts to come in. Here's the WIP in the mean time.
>>
Is there such thing as thinish semi permanent sharpie that one can use just as line marker for detailing? Going hands free with brushes alone for details is kind of unnerving
>>
>>5939924
Sharpie makes both water and oil based paint pens now. I've picked up silver in the "Ultra Fine Point" oil based for Transformer rims and I like it. Works well without being too thick.
>>
>>5937689
bump.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 300x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 300x512px
>>5939924
Yes
>>
>>5939804
How did you do the chainmail?
>>
>>5939671
If you're trying to use epoxy putty for hard surface modeling you're shit out of luck friend. Use plastic sheets, like high-impact polystyrene (HIPS) sheets, which come in thin layers that can be scored and cut with a plastic scriber, or you can cut thin sheets with a heavy duty cutter like those guillotine paper cutters.
>>
>>5926673
This is amazing, i love the bat pillar on the balcony!
>>
File: IMG_20161001_224540.jpg (917KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161001_224540.jpg
917KB, 2560x1920px
What makes acrylic paint bubbles and how can one prevent it? I'm using Vallejo flat flesh and the bubbles are pretty frustrating
>>
>>5944056
What are you stirring the paint with? Stirring with a toothpick instead of a paintbrush is supposed to reduce bubbles.
>>
>>5944061
tried toothpick, slight improvement but not by much
>>
>>5939509
Closest i can think of is Iron Fist's alt hands.
>>
>>5944097
Iron fist is not bucky cap though. Spiderman body has that super long, burly peg.
>>
>>5944056

Stir slower, and stir with a metal stirrer instead of a brush. The brush adds tons of bubbles.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.246830825.jpg (70KB, 494x500px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.246830825.jpg
70KB, 494x500px
>>5944092
Oh I forgot to ask, do you shake the bottle? That'll give you bubbles. It's better to roll it, also drop a paint agitator in there. Don't use metal, it may rust over time, I use lava rock beads.
>>
>>5944406
>>5944061
>people actually use their brush to stir their paints
lol
that's how you ruin a brush and fuck cleaning them too.
>>
File: IMG_1235.jpg (62KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1235.jpg
62KB, 640x450px
I like customizing bearguys sometimes. Kinda stopped though.
>>
File: IMG_1440.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1440.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Oh man I finally have new plush to post. I finallyhave a passible octopus pattern worked out.
>>
File: IMG_1425.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1425.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>5948388
Any ideas for colorful octopus species? Mimics/wonderpuses are great but they're not super garish.
>>
File: IMG_1443.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1443.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>5948393
And a cuttlefish for good measure.
>>
>>5948395
Cutie

I love cephalopods even though they're ugly
>>
File: 20161004_103950.jpg (737KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161004_103950.jpg
737KB, 2560x1536px
Custom stormies, it was basically a headswap from the 5poa.You cant go wrong with this one
>>
File: 20161004_111454.jpg (734KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161004_111454.jpg
734KB, 2560x1536px
>>5948681
>>
>>5948388
>>5948393
>>5948395
Holy shit that octopus pattern came out sick as hell!
>>
>>5948388
>>5948393
>>5948395
do you sell these?
>>
>>5948731
>>5948424
Thank you! Ain't bad for a pattern I didn't test before printing

>>5948897
I do, the Octos are $35+shipping. The Cuttlefish and Squids are a little cheaper because I can get more out of a yard.
>>
>>5948681
>>5948713
Are the helmets different? I don't own 5poa stormies
Are the ball joints the same size?
>>
>>5948388
>>5948393
>>5948395
wow, these little things bring back so many memories. My former girlfriend was into plushies, every birthday she used to gave me a bear or a dog.
>>
>>5949093
link? and how big
>>
>>5948395
Would cuddle/10
>>
>>5949307
They have about a 12" span.

I'm not super sure about posting my shop to 4chan lol. I mostly deal with furries and I'm in the process of opening a seperate shop for just plush.
>>
>>5949442
[email protected]
>>
>>5949466
Sent the link!
>>
>>5949522
neat shop. will definitely be getting one
gl on second shop
>>
>>5949545
Awesome, I'm ordering more of the material because my toy design proff just bought one of each.

Hopefully I can use the second site as more of a portfolio as well.
>>
>>5939671
wow, too soon
>>
>>5899337
dude its shepard from atlantis!
>>
>>5949570
>embarrassed to be dealing in furry shit
sensible lad
>>
>>5950685
It's more just.. I guess second hand embarassment? Annoyance? I'm running damage control on a guy who thought I should be honored he wanted to buy something from me with his birthday money and couldn't handle there being orders ahead of him because he TOLD me he was buying on his BIRTHDAY so now I'm down half a star.

Almost 750 orders into the shop and my reviews are still at the mercy of people who think my refusal to accept dog hair as currency is a public issue.
>>
>>5950809
>people who think my refusal to accept dog hair as currency is a public issue.
Furries in a nutshell
Anyway, GL with your second shop, I hop that it becomes your main and the furries go to hell
>>
>>5950809
>dealing with furries

Kek, you deserve all that and more.
>>
>>5950809
(Moderate, self-hating) furfag here. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything goes well- even as someone who enjoys some aspects of furry stuff, I could never call myself part of the "fandom" or take part in any of the communities because of how fucking retarded it is. Seriously, fuck those guys. Hopefully you'll get some better customers soon.

Incidentally, what sort of stuff do you sell on your "main" shop?

The cephalopods are awesome by the way. If I were in a position to be buying soft toys right now I'd buy one. How did you get the suckers looking so good?
>>
File: IMG_1392.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1392.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>5951027
I sell ears for the Necomimi headset, and tails to go with them. When the headset came out there were a lot of issues with QC so I designed nice ears that could still be worn if the headset died. Most of my customers are great, but between the less-stable furries and the seasonal influx of soccer moms who don't want to bother reading what they're buying I want to return to my roots as a plush maker. I'm going to school for toy design, it's what I enjoy doing, and I want to refocus on plush and maybe branch out into action figures and other toys. We just chose our final directions in my design course so hopefully I can add that product line to the shop at the end of the semester.
>>
File: IMG_5242.jpg (439KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5242.jpg
439KB, 1200x1600px
>>5948367
Looks great!

>>5948388
>>5948393
>>5948395
I remember you Squid anon! These new additions are looking great! That cuttlefish is adorable.

>>5950809
>dog hair as payment

That's terrible and amazing.

>>5951192
Turtle is looking cute! Good luck in toy design school!

Finalized my knight with a scarf and new belt to further break up the costume. There's light gray weathering on the scarf which they camera seems to be having difficulty picking up sadly. Ms.Marvel for scale.
>>
File: IMG_5246.jpg (325KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5246.jpg
325KB, 1200x1600px
>>5951398
Side profile. The scarf tails don't hang down perfectly but they drape enough to look dramatic.
>>
>>5951398
How hard was it to get Cap Marvel's shoulders out for that swap? I'm looking at swapping either teen Spider-man's or Tattooine Luke Skywalker's arms onto a female body.
>>
>>5951412
Boil and pop. That female body has a soft pvc torso which softens after exposure to heat.
>>
>>5951402
Nice work! Fabric is difficult to work with at that scale because the weight doesn't scale with the bulk very well.
>>
File: IMG_5482.jpg (46KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5482.jpg
46KB, 640x640px
Got the new Figma Archetype coming in the mail soon, but want to tint her to a more tan-colored skin tone for an OC.

Is it possible to dye a figma without fucking it up?
>>
>>5952382
It's not really possible to tint a lot of plastics at home, and it's particularly difficult to tint two different plastics the exact same. Would painting work better?
>>
Would any one know if I can replace the rubber joints on the old Gundam EW 1/100 models from 2007 to get a tighter figure.
>>
>>5951192
Damn what school do you go to that you can major in toy design? I'm jelly as hell

I'm looking forward to seeing progress pics on that tortle!

What do you use to trace patterns onto minky that's too dark for vanishing pens? I've been using pic related but it rubs off too quick and is hard to use on stretchy fabric.
>>
>>5952382

You could try spray vinyl dye. It's pretty cheap from an automotive store, and if you clean the parts well, (soap and water or alcohol) goes on smooth.

You'll want to test it on a spare part because with some plastic, like joint swivels, it doesn't take without lightly sanding the surface.
>>
>>5953378
It's a specialization of the industrial design major, or product design. it's deceptively tough.

I use sharpie for sketch models. That way I can keep track of changes to seams so I can transfer them to the paper templates. For finished plush I use pink microns because they resist bleeding but last forever.
>>
>>5953378
If you meant for dark colors just use while gelpen.
>>
Jin does really good customs
>>
>>5954091
fuck off jin
>>
>>5954197
No you're Jim
>>
>>5954091
You mean Jin Saotome, Chris-Chan's cousin? I hear he's also related to that furry porn artist Zaush, the one who rapes women.
>>
>>5953378
Tailors use chalk to mark patterns on fabric.
>>
>>5954009
Brilliant, I gotta pick some up. Thanks senpai

>>5954452
That pen is actually full of powdered chalk that gets dispensed through the little wheel.
>>
File: 20161006_221337.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_221337.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I found this Jessica Priest action figure for 94c at a thrift store, gonna mod her into my shitty special snowflake marvel oc, but will probably do a lot of additional articulation mods.

I'm just pleased because I know it can be difficult to find a good female bait figure and this one has a lot of similar/beneficial design elements that suit my character.

I probably won't update soon or often because I have far too many other projects to finish first but I'm really psyched about trying out my first figure nodding project.
>>
File: 1355096375212.jpg (53KB, 444x337px) Image search: [Google]
1355096375212.jpg
53KB, 444x337px
>>5953378
My uni (Milan Politecnico School of Design) does Toy design as well BUT it's part of a series of special courses available only to the top 150 students who have at least the equivalent of a 5 year bachelor's degree.

Shit sucks
>>
File: tumblr_mv8lefyVjW1rbhnqko1_250.gif (1022KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mv8lefyVjW1rbhnqko1_250.gif
1022KB, 250x188px
>>5890676
That's awesome. Is there articulated Ultras in that scale for him to fight?
>>
>>5955252
Yeah, that's about standard. FIT was similar in that you also had to do tryouts to be one of the twenty or so students to get into the program, and while AAU is a 100% acceptance university you have to make it through three or more years of product design classes with an insane drop-fail rate. This semester there's a total of five students in the toy program here, and two product design students taking it as an advanced elective and this is considered a big class.

It's a lot of work to put in just to learn to design some toys.
>>
>>5885426
Has anyone checked out this pic related? Is it good? Does it get into articulation and does anyone have a piratefag link?
>>
>>5905050
There's a tool to export obj files from LDD on eurobricks I think.
>>
>>5890676
>>5955504
t-this is actually a thing??

how have I never known about this? what kind of kaiju fan am I??
>>
>>5956103
It does talk about articulation and making different kinds of joints(ball, cut, hinge, etc.).

I don't think there are any pirated copies. It's possible your local library might have a copy. Or you could hang out a Barnes & Noble and read it there.
>>
Since I can't find the Aves stuff in my country, what's a good alternative?
>>
>>5956670
You might have the same problem but I've always found magic sculpt to be a superior product. A lot of people use miliput and in a pinch, loc-tite epoxy putty is solid if you're quick/work mainly in reductive carving.
>>
>>5956103

It's pretty good. It covers most of the casting questions I've seen come up in here, and has good painting tips too.

It focuses a lot on wax sculpting, so if you're looking for conversion (epoxy, plaplate, etc.) you might be disappointed. It mostly covers adding articulation to an original sculpt, like making joint pins.
>>
File: IMG_20161009_103610.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161009_103610.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
Is there any further trick to make linework more neat than sheer steady hand? Pic related is from painting over masking tape, it still leaves some fuzzy line over and my OCD can't get over it
>>
>>5959025
Use Tamiya masking tape.

Otherwise get an airbrush
>>
>>5959025

Okay, your problem is that the edge outside of your masking tape is just plain no good.

few tips for keeping those lines crisp: 1) lay out your masking tape in a long strip on a cutting mat prior to putting it on the model and immediately cut off a thin strip of material off either side of it. They fray, they bend, they get fucked up when the tape just lays around, so they're gonna result in non-uniform lines. Get rid of them.

Next, when applying the tape be sure to very securely press down the edges. I find a toothpick is good for this. Just really follow along the tape and press it down onto that plastic. Even a fingernail will do the job.

Tamiya masking tape will leave no residue, and won't risk ripping off your hard earned paint job. Get some of it eventually maybe.

Good luck, buddy. Been there a lot. Don't beat yourself up for it.
>>
>>5959391
Is Tamiyaâ„¢ masking tape straight up better though? I did run over my fingernails, but I'm using regular Scotch masking tape.

Other alternative is to get an airbrush so the paint cannot possibly seeps, but I'm not ready for a $200+ investment in making $20 toys in the sideline
>>
>>5959404

Well yeah, if airbrushing isn't an option, some painter's tape would be much better.

Tamiya is the way to go.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
If I wanted to tackle something like this, what advice would you give me about painting on top of SSB Goku's orange plastic? Specifically the soft plastic on the skirt. How can I minimize paint rub on a figure like this?
>>
>>5959404
>Scotch masking tape
Worst tape I've ever used
>>
>>5952382
Depends of what kind of plastic it is made of. Try looking for tutorial about dyeing keyboard caps. I dyed mine with some clothes dye.
>>
File: toys in bottle the how to.jpg (963KB, 1392x1646px) Image search: [Google]
toys in bottle the how to.jpg
963KB, 1392x1646px
Hello Customs General, i've been tryint to find those damned water absordent polymer beads but I'm at loss at which one i should buy online.

Is there anyone here who could help me by giving me a link of a reliable brand to buy ?

Thanks.
>>
>>5961020
Why on earth do people find this desirable? You're essentially ruining a good figure.
>>
>>5961030
>Why on earth do people find this desirable? You're essentially ruining a good figure.
That's basically half of this entire General.
>>
>>5960021
>making your own black when bandai will 100% release a Goku repaint

Wew
>>
>>5934806
That's way too much effort desu. You'd need like $500 worth of tools to make those and clean the mess, and a workspace that can be cleaned easily too.
>>
>>5961030
I think it would be pretty neat if people used better containers instead of jars.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>5961683
>>5961683
>>5961683
NEW THREAD
>>
File: 1459726382061.jpg (608KB, 699x950px) Image search: [Google]
1459726382061.jpg
608KB, 699x950px
Anyone know I good place to get joints for 3.75 inch figures? I was looking to mod some of the star wars figures (maul and 7th sister). Someone said revoltech joints. whats a good place to start
>>
>>5961484
Not really, there are diy kits and pieces available on line
>>
>>5961842
yummy!!!
>>
>>5956103
I have the book and includes a chapter about western-type articulations using pins.
>>
>>5885427
Since Aves and Fixit aren't distributed in my bumfuck nowhere country, are there any good alternatives for them?
>>
>>5971091
generic epoxy putties
>>
File: Jungle.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Jungle.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Anyone has a jungle diorama tutorial? Or just share some ideas about how to make it?

I've been checking youtube but the ones there are not very detailed.
>>
>>5978163
I'm also very interested in this along with other biomes. I've recently been collecting deep sea critters and am trying to figure out the best way to display em.
>>
310 get
>>
I'm debating on taking one of my Mcarlane halo figures and doing a custom paint job, altho i'm not sure what paint I should use.

I saw some vids that said they use acrylics but never went into detail on brands.
>>
>>5979118
probably Vallejo
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 96

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.