[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yen powering up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-08-16-11-04-17-1.png (92KB, 1080x1138px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-16-11-04-17-1.png
92KB, 1080x1138px
It was nice riding the gravy train while it lasted. Anyone cancel or reconsider ordering items because of the exchange rate?
>>
>>5859627
>Anyone cancel or reconsider ordering items because of the exchange rate?

NOPE. I scalped a bunch of figures on ebay recently and made over $400. That should cover the next couple of months of preorders.
>>
>not taking advantage of under-informed sellers from domestic sites
>>
>>5859627
No, but lately I've been hedging my bets by placing preorders at US and Japanese sites for the same items and cancelling the most expensive one of the two when release time comes. It's not often the US ones are cheaper, but sometimes they are. If you know the good US sites they often times offer free shipping and storewide 15-20% off coupons, which blows away HLJ and amiami's advantage.

Thus far I've saved some pocket change but nothing to brag about.
>>
>>5860543
The first figure I have thought about this with, is SIC Drive. ¥7,020 plus shipping from HLJ, or $79.99 shipped from Amazon. If the Yen stays roughly the same, HLJ will end up being slightly cheaper after shipping. If the dollar tanks, it could be a lot worse. If it dropped to ¥78 per $1, I would be looking at roughly $90 plus shipping.
>>
>>5860543
I've let an order go and get canceled on Amiami and Nippon Yasan. I'm surprised they haven't closed my accounts really. I've heard they're quite dickish when it comes to that. I really didn't want that Mafex Batman anyway after the horror stories.
>>
>>5859627

Eh, if worst comes to worst I just buy my jap shit on Ebay or Amazon a few months later.
>>
Just as an aside: Given the choice, would you pay for pre-orders up front from places like HLJ? I'm kind of thinking that a system like that, for this period of the exchange rate (and the foreseeable future), would be a godsend.

It's risky, but shit man when the USD:JPY rate was 1:112 a few months ago I would have gladly paid off every pre-order for the entire year. You'd have to be fucking dumb to think that the asian safe haven period is going to end and we're going to stay steadily in the 1:11X range, especially with at max 2 fed rate changes and the looming faggot england brexit.
>>
>>5860579

?

Pretty much none of the anons on this site have had a problem with him. What hamhands do you follow?
>>
>US babbies crying because yen is powering up
>Canadians have had bad exchange rate for a couple of years now, paying out of our fucking asses for the smallest of imports.

You're spoiled, neighbor-kuns.
>>
>>5860579
I always send them a message about a cancel I'm going to make. I bought a lot of stuff from them and didn't make it a problem.
>>
right now domestic sites have some 'good' deals. TOM and even bbts are saving me money (not a lot, but the days of amiami having the best prices are over)

it's unfortunate because they raised prices during this recession and are unlikely to lower them back down. some statueshit i buy is now double what i'm paying since 2011
>>
>>5861316
Do what I did.

Sell off half of your shit (including stuff you still like for the sake of downsizing), reap in freedombux
>>
>>5861363
Have been doing it since 2014

Got mad ameridollars from selling in the BST
>>
>it's now 99 yen to $1
>>
Fuck, please let the yen/dollar be okay in November. Please don't let the election fuck it over.

>>5861353
TOM?

Also yeah, prices now suck dick.
>>
>>5862372
Tokyo Otaku Mode. Prices aren't good but they have decent sales once in a while and they have in-store credit when you buy stuff, so you can use it towards your next purchase. Sometimes you can get a few dollars worth of credit for an item during events which give extra credit.
>>
>>5862401
i only said TOM because of free shipping. i don't save that much money but maybe i pay 165$ vs 172$ to amiami since amiami charges me 34k EMS for that huge box they shove everything in.

TOM sucks because they charge you up front for stuff and aren't the fastest at getting figures. some people over at /a/ buyfag are getting decent deals with the TOM points but i don't have patience for that.
>>
>>5859627
Not yet, the exhange rate between the SEK & Yen is still pretty resonable, but considering how god damn much the customs wanna charge in import fee I might just look for other Europe alternatives soon.
>>
>>5861353
Man, TOM is so easy to abuse
I bought multiple Injustice Harley Figuarts just for the 20-25$ bonus points they were giving and made my money back by reselling the SHFs to people on ebay that really cared about the brown shippers they came in.
>>
>>5862423
TOM is getting rid of free EMS, only free SAL, which is size limited iirc. So they're dead in the water for international items. They never go below $100 for free shipping anymore either.

>>5862694
Their points system is good but they expire. I had like $18~ worth of credits expire because I forgot about it. What a waste.
>>
>>5862423
So TOM points basically just give you a discount? Like if you had 50 dollars in TOM points could you get something that costs 50 dollars for free?

Also since first time orders are free shipping, if I order 3 different things in my first order, and they all come out in different months, will I only get free shipping on the first item, or will all three items have free shipping?
>>
>>5862721
TOM points is a pre-total discount meaning if you have $50 worth of stuff in your cart and you use $50 of points, you'll have $0 towards free shipping.
>>
>>5862740
Well, it'd still probably be cheaper that way. Or a way to get a free item with a large order.
>>
>>5862721
tom is.... confusing. they periodically do free shipping and '15x tom points' during certain periods. honestly, if you can figure it out it's probably got good deals to be had like that guy in /a/ with 100$ in points after a fs/n sale.

i just use them to order already released figs
>>
TOM's reward points are pretty nice. preordered 2 Metal Build Blue Frame for a total of $499 with free shipping. and received $45 for future purchase.
Got a bunch of stuff with their coupon in july, figma gilgamesh was around $70 shipped.
>>
I actually use Crunchyroll of all places on occasion. A lot of shit is only like, 5 dollars difference if that, and you get free shipping on orders over 75 dollars with a code.
Only downside is that it can take 2-3+ months after the Japanese release for them to get it.
Also you have to pay up front, something I both like and dislike.
>>
>>5862826

I've gotten two things from CrunchyRoll and both of them had an ugly sticker and damaged box.
>>
Nothing can keep me away from my plastic crack.
>>
>>5859636

Bbts is the only domestic seller and their prices are the worst
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.