[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever consider consolidating their collection and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: photostudio_1454290839529.jpg (219KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
photostudio_1454290839529.jpg
219KB, 683x1024px
Anyone here ever consider consolidating their collection and just displaying a few pieces at a time or do just that? I recently bought my first 1/4 scale figure and now I feel like I own way too much cheap shit. I don't want to get rid of it, but I feel like it just looks tacky and I would put it in storage.

Thoughts?
>>
>>5850042
>just displaying a few pieces at a time
That's called the Autism Divide.

Autists (i.e. people that collect Marvel Legends, Transformers, and Waifu toys) don't understand that putting all 350 of their toys out on every surface of their living space is a sign of mental illness. In a proper society, doing such would lead to forced sterilization or outright castration of the autist for the good of us all. Instead, we just mock them.
>>
>>5850042
I have a system.
depending on what im putting up will depend on how many will be in the space
>3,4, or 5 if its small (1/12 or whatever)
>1 or 2 if its medium sized (hot toys)
>one a single big guy (larger hot toys or 3A stuff)
>>
>>5850042
>I don't want to get rid of it, but I feel like it just looks tacky and I would put it in storage.
I do that all the time. Don't know why you'd want to display everything you own in the first place. Not only does it give your figures room to breathe but it also gives you an incentive to cycle through your figures on display depending on your mood.
>>
>>5850071
You want people to be sterilized for displaying toys?
>>
File: 0cc.gif (3MB, 264x242px) Image search: [Google]
0cc.gif
3MB, 264x242px
>>5850071
>implying anyone who collects toys doesn't get mocked by proper society.
>>
>>5850071
>Accuses others of autism because they display children's toys in a way he disagrees with.
>Demands the sterilization or outright castration of said people who display toys in a way he disagrees with.

Anon, I believe you're the one with autism.
>>
>>5850106
>displaying different scales together
Wew
>>
>>5850184
>he doesn't get jokes
This isn't even "I was only pretending to be retarded" this is literally a joke as obvious as starting it with knock knock.
>>
>>5850042
No, you must have every single thing on display at all rimes
>>
>>5850489
Kinda hard not to do when all you have are Figma's.
>>
>>5850553
whos there
>>
sometimes yeah. statue collecting is a beast on its own, though. most pieces are very large, and it's not hard to fall into "well if i don't buy some shitty figma for 60k yen i can save up for this $450 statue".

personally i think you're making the right choice. cheap shit usually remains cheap shit, but you can sometimes flip a statue for twice what you paid for it.
>>
>>5850042

Is that a storm trooper iron man I see in the back ground?!
>>
>>5850042

I did this exact thing when I got back into bjd really heavily, instead of putting my cheaper stuff in storage I just it off slowly on ebay. At first I did store back some of my transformers and monster high dolls in storage but after a month of not missing them ( and actually forgetting which ones I even had) I knew it was time let go.

If you have space to store stuff go for it and see if you miss any of it after a while. If you dont plunk that shit on ebay and get more cash for stuff you really want.
>>
>>5850042
>I don't want to get rid of it, but I feel like it just looks tacky and I would put it in storage
That's because you're just starting to realize. After a few more "high end" purchases, you'll want to get rid of the cheap shit. It happened to me. It happened to two of my friends. It happened to my wife. It'll happen to you to, you're simply "growing up" as a collector.
>>
>>5853505
Your parents, they're here to shame you for wasting your life on toys.
>>
>>5853545
>figma for 60k yen
lolwat
>>
>>5854245
i havent bought a toy in 2 years tho
in fact i havent even bought a gun in a year (my following hobby)
what do i even buy now?
>>
>>5850042
It will come and go in spurts.

The more higher end crap you buy the more you will want, then you will start buying cheap shit again and revert back to cheap shot for awhile.

Rinse repeat.
>>
>>5854388
Basically this.I went through a point last year where I was only buying SHF, Hot toys, Chogokin, Macross,and sentinel stuff, and avoiding retail/non import stuff and boxing away my older things. then I bought a daredevil Marvel Legends and I stopped being so fussy. It was still a fun toy, even if it din't display as well, and I enjoyed it, just in a different way.

>>5854187
I wouldn't necessarily say that. some people will buy retail Transformers their whole lives and that'll resonate with them more than Chogokin or Hot toys stuff. I'd almost say people who got through that are more casual collectors; which is weird to say since $200+ toys aren't casual buys. But if you look at what gets made in that price range (lots of things based on big budget movies or nostalgic properties); along with how those collectors tend to use those figures( mainly leaving them untouched for weeks/months at a time, not really fiddling with them), its more of a casual thing. And those properties aren't really hard to get into or require a niche interest, a lot of them are things everyone knows. My, say, McFarlane spider-man may not be as high quality as a Hot Toys spider-man, but it means way more to me than any movie design,so it always has a place in my collection.
>>
>>5854427
>I wouldn't necessarily say that
Buy some high end toys. You'll change your mind.
>>
>>5854476
>conveniently skips the entire first half of my post.

Nice reading comprehension there.
>>
>>5854388
>The more higher end crap you buy the more you will want, then you will start buying cheap shit again and revert back to cheap shot for awhile.
I used to buy a lot of high end stuff back in the early 00s, but i found out i really couldn't play with it like i could with cheaper stuff.
So I switched back to normal retail toys.

I buy more expensive stuff from time to time, but it really isn't better than the stuff you find at retail or cheaper collector stuff.
Stuff like Mezco One:12 or a Figuarts is only slightly better retail stuff and the only reason i buy it is because it is better or the only good option. It's not worth the money, but i like it enough to pay up for it.
>>
>>5854187
I think you're right, anon. I preordered the mark 45 1/4 scale and now I've taken even more shit down.
>>
>>5854187
>tfw they never make high end figures for characters I'm interested in
>tfw I'll never grow up as a collector
>>
Hot Toys/Sideshow/other 1/4 scale figures and lines seem like they'd be great to have as a few center pieces for a collection, but I couldn't imagine having nothing but them.

Ever pic I've ever seen of these figures looks like the OP pic: Boring as fuck, with all the figures in "rank-and-file" standing poses.

Don't know if 1/4 scale collectors are just unimaginative with their figures, or if the figures are just that limited in what you can do with them. Isn't everyone always bitching about articulation and shit being so important in figures?

The detail in these things is usually great, but having them do nothing but stand there seems boring.
>>
>>5855466
They're basically statues-- people are afraid they'll break if you fiddle with em too much
>>
>>5854492
I said HIGH END.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (8KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8KB, 194x259px
>>5855775
What's more high end than Hot Toys or Chogokin or similar lines? Hell, I even have higher end releases from lines like that; in the $300+ range. Like the Robocop with the control chair, and Max Gokin Big O.

I guess BJDs would be more expensive, but I'm not really into those.
>>
>>5855961
realdoll
>>
Does anyone know if Hot Toys has a future release/announcement/prototype list?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.