[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Funko ReAction figures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: terminator.jpg (1MB, 2840x1884px) Image search: [Google]
terminator.jpg
1MB, 2840x1884px
What do you think of them?

For me it's [spoiler] hipster trash[/spoiler]
>>
I generally feel the same. Lots of interesting licenses, in the right scale, ruined for the sake of rose-tinted nostalgia. I get that what they're aiming for, I just don't care for it.
>>
File: 20160330_174125_001.jpg (846KB, 2216x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160330_174125_001.jpg
846KB, 2216x2592px
It was pretty much my best chance to get a Rocketeer figure in this scale, so I'm okay with it. I haven't bought any of the others since I'm not really all that interested in them.
>>
I bought my first one the other day for $2 on clearance at Barnes and noble.

I will NEVER understand why anyone in their right mind would pay full price for one. Idk how it is for the whole line, but mine has awfully loose joints and the paint is mediocre at best.
>>
File: 612x612_BBP_twilightzone.jpg (74KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
612x612_BBP_twilightzone.jpg
74KB, 612x612px
>>5846540
I like them, at least in concept. They definitely could be better. I've experienced the loose joints, the bubbles falling off the cards, the missing accessories, etc.
But I'm the 30-something target demographic and I totally get this line. I don't see how or why it ever made it to mass retail outlets though.

Bif Bang Pow are making similar figures.
>>
File: DC_Carded.jpg (206KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
DC_Carded.jpg
206KB, 1000x750px
I'm interested in their Dark Crystal line
>>
>>5846952
I'd buy a couple of the invaders to hide around my mom's house. That aside, not a fan of these kind of figs, the nostalgia factor is kinda cool, but that's about it.
>>
>>5846957
Labyrinth when?
>>
File: DCMBatAKWave1.jpg (69KB, 800x360px) Image search: [Google]
DCMBatAKWave1.jpg
69KB, 800x360px
>>5846540
I can't tell if they're better or worse than Mattel's DC Multiverse figures.
>>
I saw the land strider from dark crystal at toys r us today. Haven't had any interest in this line prior, but i think i'm weakening.
>>
The Alien ones at least had a sensible premise behind them. The rest they have just gone too far with.

Part of it is how lazy it is. Only Kenner Star Wars were like Kenner Star Wars back in the 80's. With these it's the same shit over and over but with different licenses. If they really had balls (or money) they would make other figures that rip off other toy lines of the time.
>>
>>5850252
Been saying that forever myself, anon.
Would love if the Arrow figures could be displayed with my 89 Batman figures, or if the Fifth Element figures were like previous 90s blockbuster toy lines like Waterworld or Hook. Terminator and Predator should be an 80s line or fit in with their 90s toy lines, GI Joe style Predator figures would be pretty neat.
>>
>>5850248
When I saw the Gremlins, I almost got a few. But the price point for such small figures, I couldn't justify it.
>>
They don't look like 80s toys, they look like knock off dollar store brand 80s toys. I like the idea but holy shit the quality. Or complete lack of quality.
>>
Not worth the money, unless they sell for $2.

What's this 5 POA sh*t? It's not "retro-80's"- hell, GiJoe ARAH had perfected 16 POA in 1983! This 5 POA garbage is just an excuse to cut costs at the factory in China.

The sad thing is... the licenses and range of characters is great. The bad news is that Funko got the licenses and made these characters already. So, it's unlikely that another company can pick up the same characters and do them right (like 16 POA or more). And Funko, after spending the money on the tooling, etc. won't really be motivated to update these characters with modern levels of artic. :-(
>>
>>5850927
This.

The very first line of Alien toys was neat because they were based on an unreleased toy line. That was cool because we got something 3 decades after it was canned, and they were decent quality.

Everything after that has been complete and utter shit. I mean, kids meal toys legit look better than these.

>>5851050
>$2
I've seen stores try to sell them for as high as 17 a piece.
>>
>>5850927
This. They look like 70s Kenner crap, not proper 80s toys.

They'd be good at $3 each, like the Pops, but $10 is excessive.
>>
>>5851079
I dunno. I compared the BK universal monsters to the ReAction Universal monsters, and at the very least the Wolfman and the Creature from the Black Lagoon are better quality than the BK equivalents.
>>
>>5851090
That's very debatable. I actually consider the BKJ Creature to be better than the ReAction one.
>>
>>5851107
Fair enough. The light up feature is pretty neat, but the Y hips kill it for me.
>>
>>5846540
Terrible; making something bad for the sake of being "retro" to pander to 9gag users and hipsters. It's disingenuous at best and cynically exploiting nostalgia at worst.
>>
>>5855090
mmm this, could not articulate until now
>>
File: BTJ-1.jpg (594KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
BTJ-1.jpg
594KB, 1024x682px
So is Funko gonna continue with this "Retro 80s lololo" shit or will they ever update to mid/late-90s quality?
>>
>>5846540
I'm still struggling to understand what they're supposed to induce nostalgia for and exactly who they're targeting. The 3 3/4 scale figures they're poorly emulating was a late 70's thing, not 80's, while the licenses seem to be predominantly 80's. By the time most of the properties they're licensing rolled around Hasbro had introduced their O-ring G.I. Joe figures and Kenner countered by either shrinking their lines down into tiny little vehicle accessories like they did with MASK or upsizing to 5" action figures (like the ones Chap Mei cranks out now). It's true that they kept the scale around for Star Wars and the animated spinoffs but that's about it.
>>
>>5850195
Well, the ReAction stuff is supposed to look retro and present the shitty articulation you would expect of something from the 70s/80s, Mattel DC stuff is supposed to be current action figures, take that as you will...
>>
>>5860404
>not 80's
False. There were still figures being made like this up to the 90's at least.

IMO the old Toy Island T-2 3-3/4" line nailed the aesthetic.

Funko really dropped the ball on these, but the super7 MOTU are pretty spot-on, and use a more solid plastic akin to 70's SW figures.
>>
These are from 1994
>>
>>5861430
>>5861433
>crap lines existed in the 90s so that excuses Funko being shit
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.