[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All y'all from NYC , what do you make of midtown comics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3300x3101px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3300x3101px
All y'all from NYC , what do you make of midtown comics?
>>
>>5839207
I've lived here my entire life and I've never been there once.
>>
>>5839209
Same here.
>>
>>5839207
Looks pretentious.
>>
>>5839207
There's like 3(?) different locations I believe. They're all really similar, but they have a lot of good stuff. Never found many deals there, but they have a lot of interesting stuff
>>
>>5839207
They have lots of stuff and signings if you're into that
I'd rather just go to my local shop however
>>
Always crowded at lunch. I guess it's good if you're into buying regular serialized comics or toys that you want now. everything else is over priced.
>>
>>5839207
I've only been there once. They had a decent selection of Gundam iirc
>>
File: 1468397103260.jpg (28KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1468397103260.jpg
28KB, 250x250px
>Eurofag here.
>Went to NYC once, visited Midtown comix on Times square.
>Marched up to cashier with like 3 big action figures, cause I thought they were on sale. >Turned out their price tag printer broke.
>One 0 was missing from the end of the prices. Instead of 19 $ figures cost 190 $.
>Put figures back.
>I am embarrass
>>
File: 1470343407654.jpg (13KB, 149x142px) Image search: [Google]
1470343407654.jpg
13KB, 149x142px
>>5839242
>inanimate objects can be pretentious
>>
>>5839255
Yea I definitely agree with you , my local comic book store is kind of a rip too so it's a lose lose . You know Royal collectables ?
>>
>>5839321
>being this ignorant
>>
on one hand: pricey and the selection isn't always great, and like half the shelf space is Funko Pops

on the other hand: where the hell else am I going to get gundams in between my soul-crushing normie job and my 90-minute commute.
>>
File: 200w (2).gif (723KB, 200x100px) Image search: [Google]
200w (2).gif
723KB, 200x100px
>>5839327
>being completely fucking mental.

Who looks at a building and thinks it's pretentious? How is it pretentious??
>>
>>5839331
What borough you live in ?
>>
>>5839335
Looks like you haven't developed the elusive ability of understanding yet. Inanimate objects can be pretentious if they're decorated pretentiously, either with visual or metaphorical medium.
>>
>>5839209
>>5839230
You don't like to check out your local toy stores, yet you're into toys enough to browse here? Why is that?

What do you two collect?
>>
>>5839340
>Looks like you haven't developed the elusive ability of understanding yet

Oh my god fuck off smart ass autist, wow just wow
>>
>>5839331
You can always go to imageanime.
Chinatown used to be a mecca for that shit but rent drove everyone in the last 7 years
>>
>>5839341
I live in nyc all my life too and it doesnt take much brain power to understand which store NOT to check out since chances are their shit is overpriced due to location
>>
>>5839345
imageanime is pretty great but it's a bit of a distance from where I work, so I don't go there as much.

>>5839337
i commute from nj because i don't have enough money to get my own place yet.

i guess i could speed that process up a bit if I stopped spending money on plastic. but that's still a pretty small amount of my paycheck.
>>
>>5839343
>autist

Using a buzzword doesn't make you sound any tougher or smarter, anon.
>>
>>5839331
>>5839349
I can relate. I commute from Orange County, NY via the bus. My issue is that I do have my own place, but can't quit the job.
>>
>>5839354
Is that your only response? I'm saying you sound like an asshole, whether I used the word autist or not.

Looks like you haven't developed the elusive ability of understanding yet.
>>
I'm coming from CT to New York City tommorow. Any good toy shops? I've been to Toy Tokyo and Some in chinatown. Are there any places to score good deals on toys?
>>
>>5839347
Soo you go your entire life on fucking assumptions?

ASSUMPTIONS?

TOP KEK.

Are you that much a fat, lazy motherfucker that you can't climb a staircase to check out a comic book shop? I mean, you've never even gotten the urge to browse or windowshop to maybe get ideas of what to look for online? I don't understand. Here you are F5ing fucking /toy/ yet you won't go to literally one of the only import shops or main toy shops in the entirety of New York City. It's not like you have THAT many other options (depending on what you collect, which is why I asked...)

Seriously though...you're making assumptions, being lazy, and also you seem broke as a joke that you can't even DARE to walk into a store because it is PROBABLY so expensive. I feel fucking sorry for you.
>>
>>5839374
You see, now you're just trying to change the subject. I know you aren't old enough to have object permanency just yet, but you need to concentrate on what we're discussing.
>>
>>5839382
I just came in to the thread to make fun of your phrasing, that is all.
>>
>>5839379
Dont expect to find good deal on toys in nyc.
Youll find a variety of toys everywhere though at msrp for the states and shit but dont expect lower.
>>
>>5839207

New York has the absolute worst accent in all of America.
>>
File: whyeven.png (361KB, 390x594px) Image search: [Google]
whyeven.png
361KB, 390x594px
>>5839385
And I am just making fun of you because its fun.

Also, what the fuck captcha
>>
>>5839396
Pussy ass bitch , fuck you from , some cousin fucking southern state ?
>>
>>5839396
>He doesn't know the Jersey accent
>>
>>5839403

Jersery accent is just as bad as the stupid Bronx accent like D-Amazing has.
>>
>>5839381
why would he go if there is no reason to. its not a mystery that everything in that shop is something you can get cheaper online.
>>
>>5839451
why would you date if there is no reason to, its not a mystery that every woman is easier to look at online
>>
>>5839379
Image Anime has a big selection of stuff, but it's a bit pricey. The owners are really nice though.

Kinokuniya Books has some Nendos and Figmas.

Book Off has a small selection of used toys but they're unusually pricey.
>>
>>5839207
I bought some stuff from them online recently. Prices were very reasonable (and in some cases 1/2 off), shipping felt a little high, but it all still came in cheaper than buying local. Would buy from again.
>>
>>5839462
thats food analogy tier and you fucking know it. know one can be this retarded.
>>
>>5839309
No reason to be embarrassed. What was the $190 figure?
>>
>>5839473
Dont reply to falseflaggers faggot
>>
>>5839207
What does NY have anyway? They shut down that cool-looking TRU, and it seems all you have left is Nintendo NY.
>>
>>5839831
>going to overpriced places just because it's NYC
Why even go to things that are common as fuck everywhere just to spend more money for that common shit?
>>
File: 1444078739680.png (197KB, 390x355px) Image search: [Google]
1444078739680.png
197KB, 390x355px
>>5839345
Too bad imageanime is devoting a portion of shelf space to Pop! shit.
>>
>>5839451
Um, you can obviously find some shit there that you might not even think about. I can't even begin to list the reasons of life benefits of checking out a store of a hobby of yours. Meeting others that share your hobby, finding something new, getting inspiration, etc.

God damn internet, no one leaves their damn basements anymore!
>>
>>5840385
Not them, but I actively avoid going to places that are overpriced and there are plenty of other places where you can find other people in your hobby.

Did you even read what he said anyway?
>I live in nyc all my life too and it doesnt take much brain power to understand which store NOT to check out since chances are their shit is overpriced due to location
The implication in his post is that he goes elsewhere, that isn't overpriced, to buy stuff.
Yet this guy gets all butthurt, like he's an employee there
>Are you that much a fat, lazy motherfucker that you can't climb a staircase to check out a comic book shop?
>>
>>5839396
ey yo im walkin' 'ere ya big paisano, its da super mario bros super show
>>
At least it's not Image Anime
>>
>>5840618
Thats kinda a really thick brooklyn accent, aint noone talk with sucha heavy accent like that around any more
>>
>>5840595
I AM an employee there! Now COME SHOP AT MY STORE!
>>
>>5839331
Amazon, hlj, samuraibuyer
>>
File: Death.png (932KB, 1006x763px) Image search: [Google]
Death.png
932KB, 1006x763px
>>5839340
It's not though? It has pictures of superheroes in the window.

Anyway, good comic shop. My wife fell down their stairs once.
>>
I always go to the one on 40th st and 7th ave. they have a decent selection
>>
>>5839207
>All y'all from NYC
Not from NYC but I go there often enough.

>>5839207
>what do you make of midtown comics?
There are something like 5 locations? All roughly the same. I belive that is the one near grand central and i think it is thier flag ship store. They are decent I guess, prices are a little above retail for toys and most of the comics can be had cheaper on amazon but you go for the fun of seeing stuff in person.
>>
>>5839207
Fellow New Yorker here; I go to their 3 locations & use their site kinda often. Midtown Comics is NOT a "Local Comic Shop"; it's a regular retail store that happens to only sell comics, toys, and other related stuff. Think Walgreen's for pop culture merchandise. So there's no "snobbery" & lack of organization that most smaller LCS irradiate, but you also won't get the personal service & rapport built "regular" status of a small business that comes from the same kind of shops.

They're good for having recent issues that would normally sell out fast from smaller shops; having multiple easy to get to locations; getting most western toys first (the same stuff you'd find in TRU, Target, etc but at slightly higher prices); toys direct from Diamond (Marvel Select, NECA, etc); and dork related clothing/merch. They have actual sales that smaller LCS couldn't, but it'd still be cheaper to get most things online (especially graphic novels & TPBs/HCs). Their website is also decent & have better sales, but you can get knocked on shipping rates and their shipping preparation is slow as molasses.

Times Square location is the tourist spot: two floors, tons of stuff, subpar back issue selection, almost always in stock of everything. Nice to just walk around & take it all in.

Grand Central location is the next step: single wide floor, comfier set-up, back issues are better but still can't beat an LCS. If the TS location doesn't have it, they probably will.

Downtown location is the newest; just opened up in 2010. Smaller set-up; back issue selection slightly better than GC; actually sells loose & older toys (though, the TS location started doing this, too). If the first two locations don't have it, this one definitely does.

I get my regular comic pull-list at a smaller place in Manhattan. I would not shop regularly at Midtown for toys; cheaper elsewhere & online, unless you MUST have it now. And even then, go to Forbidden Planet first.
>>
>>5842543
OP here , I used to volunteer in the hospital on Williams st right by the downtown location . It's my favorite that I've been to so far , plus the pier is nearby , it's just a good way to spend the day .
>>
>>5842973
There's a Lot Less Closeout store near there, too. At one point, I found the two deluxe wave of the TF Reveal the Shield line, all of DCUC Wave 12, and DCUC Cyborg Superman/Mongol & Batman/Clayface two packs.
>>
>>5842987
Yea that's the store by the A train right ? That place has great deals on general . There's also a comic book store on one of the interior blocks headed towards world trade , I can't remember exactly where though
>>
>>5842989
No; near the 1/2/3 Fulton Street train station.

Funny enough, though, is that there is also a Lot Less Closeout store near Midtown's Times Square location. I once found the DCUC Sinestro Corps Hal/Blue Lantern Kyle & Azrael/Batman 2 Packs there.

And the comic shop you're talking about is probably Chameleon Comics and Cards on Maiden Lane, near Broadway. VERY small shop, but their limited back issue selection is usually only for a dollar & they sometimes have oldish figures from DC Direct & Marvel Select. The kind that don't get re-issued.
>>
>>5839345
i used to love going to china town every few months... go to the elizabeth center and check out the shops and haggle with the pissy dudes.

now I think only the gundam shop remains, but it's been 3 years since i've been
>>
>>5842543

Do they have locations outside of NY? Because if they don't, that's still not really a chain.

I live in Minneapolis, and there are a couple comic shops that have multiple locations here, but they're still just LCSs, because they're just here.

Anyway, as far as toys go, I wouldn't even bother getting them at LCSs anyway. I like to support comic shops, for sure, because I've seen too many come and go--sometimes they open and close within just a year or two--but I'm not going to support outrageous prices just to help the shop.

Gee. When you mark up your prices 150%, I wonder why people are turned away.

Though, there are generally really good deals on actual TPBs and such. Many of the comic shops I go to have racks and racks of 50% off or better on Trades.
>>
>>5843143
"Chain" in New York may be a bit of a different definition than elsewhere. Two stores and a semi-corporate image is a chain. Stores in different boroughs are practically soulless corporations.
>>
>>5843085
Its only HALF the gundam shop there now.
Nothings there anymore since every store there left like in 2011/12ish?
Its depressing considering how long those specialty shops have been there since the 90's and now its jsut trinket shops
>>
>>5843233
>>5843085
I work in Chinatown, it's a fucking shithole.
>>
>>5843240
pretty off topic, any good places to grab a drink in chinatown? I usually chill on the other side of Delancey around ave A
>>
>>5843337
On the edge of chinatown theres a ton of pubs and than theres whiskey tavern or w/e nearby.

We dont want no Guilao in our hood
>>
>>5839335
Atleast he didn't download the same gif twice and in thumbnail definition
>>
>>5843240
All chinatowns are shitholes
>>
>>5839207
the comic store at st marks is cooler
>>
I go to forbidden planet and stare at the model kits and the figures.

I buy online now. The markup is ridiculous.
>>
File: 126150581433.gif (884KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
126150581433.gif
884KB, 300x169px
>>5848073
>>
Selection is pretty bad compared to Imageanime. If Forbidden Planet still exists try there. If you have to be near Times Square try Kinokuniya Books.
>>
>>5849437
Or Gundam Planet in Edgewater. Hell, Mars NYC by Mitsuwa is pretty okay.
>>
>>5839207
It's alright. They've always had a decent selection, not just of comics, but of action figures too. I recommend you check it out if you are considering it.
>>
>>5849443
>>5849437
Gundam Planet is okay but Mars NYC is overpriced shit.

Kinnokuya just opened up next do to Mars they have figures
>>
>>5849485
The Kino by Bryant park is better. Top floor is full of toys.
>>
One time they had a 40% off all action figures sale and I got a new SHF figure for cheaper than I ever saw it. I typically only buy comics from them though.
>>
>>5839309
hey thats when you demand them for the listed price brah they are obligated to honor they price they put on them
>>
>>5839349
Former Jerseyfag here. Is Toys from the Outer Limits still open? Haven't been there since I moved out of state in 2008.
>>
>>5849437
Went to Forbidden Planet today, the choice of Nendoroids / Figmas / Figuarts are lower than ever, I think they had like 6 figures, half of them being Mario.

Overpriced as fucking hell too.

Yugioh figma was 75 bucks. Lol.
>>
Any of you guys from or been to Queens, ever visited Royal Collectables on metropolitan ave? Theyre basically my local CBS but i feel like they overprice some of their shit. I collect diamond select marvel figs and theyre usually like 20-25 bucks. But sometimes they sell the oversized figures like juggernaut or hulk for 30-35. Fucking trash b
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.