[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are your favorite reviewers, /toy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

Who are your favorite reviewers, /toy/?
>>
Me, I know exactly what to expect from a figure just from looking at in hand photos. I don't need an entitled retard man-handling it and rambling in front of a camera for me to determine if it's worth the money.
>>
Why does everyone hate Sean long?
>>
>>5831581
He's a creeper
>>
>>5831581
He looks like an alien wearing human skin, he sounds mentally handicapped, has the sense of humor of a middle schooler, and is the very definition of skinny-fat.
>>
>>5830565
the Oafe guys
>>
>>5830565
Vangelus all the way, but since he updates so infrequently Peaugh usually is good enough for my Transformers needs.
Jobby can be entertaining, but it feels like he is trying to force in humor at times.
>>
>>5830565
Any online ones that take clear pictures with a few decent clear action shots. This generally means the Japs as Americans are obsessed with some gaudy primary colour background or that shitty alley way background like d-amazing uses all the time.
>>
Reviews on The Fwoosh and Itsalltrue.net

Pixel Dan is fine but not always my cup of tea. He's a good guy, but comes off too carsalesmany in his videos.
>>
>>5831644
>the "we're gonna inject our own political and social views and opinions into our toy reviews and you're going to like it" guys
>>
>>5835953
>wahhh I don't like the toy reviewers that you like!
>>
File: sdcc2012_squareenix_56.jpg (117KB, 600x903px) Image search: [Google]
sdcc2012_squareenix_56.jpg
117KB, 600x903px
mwctoys and generalsjoes are the best reviewers online, but they're limited in scope (GI Joes and mostly expensive collector dolls).

Gotta wonder what MWC's real job is, considering how old he is and the fact he reviews so much high priced stuff.
>>
Pixeldan is a really nice dude and makes interesting shit so i like him. Reviewspot is cool too.
>>
>>5835988
He lost a tiny bit of respect from me for going off on a multi-paragraph rant about how great Sulu being gay in Star Trek Beyond is, and how George Takei (which he kept misspelling) was wrong not to approve of it.

Seriously, just stick to the matter at hand. No-one wants a ham-fisted, reductive dialectic on the complex nuances of sexual identity politics taking up three-quarters of an action figure review.
>>
For video reviews, I've taken a liking to Japanese reviewers because they tend to omit the reviewer from the review.

Western reviewers either have to insert their ugly face into the video, let us know their "this is very nice" opinions or even their life story.

It's like that thing about Western vs Eastern marketing where Western marketing always has to have a kid playing with the toy.
https://youtu.be/bVEJWKrDkjk
https://youtu.be/duTK9jCj5Fo
>>
>>5836648
>let us know their "this is very nice" opinions or even their life story.
But that's what reviews are for.
They're supposed to give us their opinion.
Their "life story" can be part of their reasoning on why they may or may not like their toy, but that depends on how well its written (how relevant their "life story" is to the toy).
It's all about explaining their reasoning and logic on how their opinion is formed.

It's like you know nothing on what makes something well written
>>
>>5837613
Alternatively a review could be a showcase of the figure, showing the range of movements, the details and other things about the actual figure/packaging without the reviewer telling people what he thinks about it.

But there is really a clear distinct East Vs West style of review when it comes to toys.
>>
Firestarter
rip
>>
>>5837638
But without the opinion, it's not a review.

What you're saying is the "eastern way" is a demonstration or showcase.
>>
I found Pixel Dan's channel (specifically through that From Pixels to Plastic series he has) back in 2008, I think it was. I'm 18 now, and I consider his channel the reason I started collecting. Hardly ever actually watch his videos now, but I have to name him as my favorite reviewer.
>>
>>5837749
You DO know Pixel Dan is hated quite intensely on /toy/ yes? And that he's just a shill for Mattel because they give him free shit early right?
>>
>Shartimus Prime
>Not a single Transformers review

Is he the biggest fucking poser?
>>
>>5831581

https://youtu.be/XUtpd-8Fd1s
He made this, so that's a start..
>>
>>5837890
the fuck did i just watch and what did it have to do with toys?
>>
>>5837753
That literally has nothing to do with anon's post. Why should he care is /toy/ doesn't like Pixel Dan?
>>
>>5837944

It's Sean Long auditioning for Hot Topic.
>>
I like east asian Batman guy. He does some repetitive jokes and is probably deformed/cosseyed but he has a nice voice and his reviews are pretty good.
>>
>>5837753
I forgot that /toy/ is so Hasbro-loyal that they have a magic hateboner for Mattel. It's about like OAFE around here in that regard.

>I have seen yo go re defend some of Hasbro's dumber decisions, while he whines about every goddamned fucking thing Mattel does, yet he still buys their toys anyway so why's he crying?
>>
>>5836647

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to feel that way. It's like, "Who cares, really? Just shut up and review toys."
>>
My legitimate favorites are Type V3 and Glenn Webb, and by that I mean they're the only ones I watch. V3 gives really concise yet thoughtful reviews, and Glenn is thorough and sometimes funny. They only very rarely do or say something cringeworthy.

I also enjoyed reviews from this one guy names Hey Spanky! because often he wouldn't figure out what an accessory is for or how to articulate a certain figure, and would use it wrongly or get pissed at it. I found those funny but IIRC he hasn't done a review for like a year.
>>
One of my personal favs is Bobby Skullface. He has good camera work, doesn't shill, and I like his voice. He also reviews a lot of 3rd party figures (which I'm a big fan of).

Another one that I like is Chefatron. Dude spits out reviews CONSTANTLY, and the way he poses his toys is top notch. It's really a shame that his collection is a total clusterfuck of static figures when he opens his review with a figure in such a dynamic pose.

Honorable mention is for Baltmatrix...but he always seems so depressed and down on himself. It's like the fandom's bitching and moaning about any little mistake he made sucked all the joy and life from him. I always feel sorry for him at the end of his reviews.

I used to watch Anthony's Customs, but that guy's voice is annoying is shit and he complains about EVERYTHING. If you want to know about a figure's articulation, he's your guy, but damn he just seems like he hates everything. Also used to watch Shartimus, but he's gone full retard these days.
>>
File: 0.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>
>>5839066
He lives.

Honestly really like him. He isn't a complete shill or sellout. I've been following him since he started with that movie ratchet back in '07
>>
>>5837753
I'm quite aware. But like >>5837991 said, it's not very relevant to me. I really don't watch reviewers, I judge based on in hand pictures and things I see around here. But regardless, I still like him, if only because I remember his videos fondly.
>>
>>5839066
>>5839073
isn't he best buddies with Optibotimus?
ewww.
>>
>>5839219
The last mention of him being friends with Optibuttimus was like years ago.

Probably fell out with him since Paul stepped on everyone to "get to the top"
>>
>>5839062
Nah bobby acts like a total fag too anything that isn't g1 or is Japanese g1.

yet he eats up hasbro star wars like its fucking candy
>>
>>5831581
He likes little kids the same way some of us "like" transformers.
>>
>>5839480
He has gone full shill for third party tfs (I'm almost certain money was involved) and apparently thinks anything made by HasTak including MPs is junk and refuses to review the generation lines other than to slag them off.
>>
File: I'm always drinking coke.png (692KB, 845x432px) Image search: [Google]
I'm always drinking coke.png
692KB, 845x432px
>>5839219
Does he also love coke?
>>
>>5839066
Is he the ultimate neckbeard?
>>
>>5839073
Did this fool you when it first came out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOAKLsQVwIw
>>
Wyluncustoms is pretty good.
>>
>>5839062
>used to watch Anthony's Customs
Same, but after watching for so long, his voice/demeanor got super grating and his opinions vary crazily. One figure he'll go on and on about "real human proportions" and joint configuration, then he'll forgive the same kinds of issues or ignore them altogether in another review. And once I found out that he does all of it as his main job I learned to not trust his views on shit. I want a reviewer who's actually into the hobby and wants to share his/her opinion as a way of starting discussion, not just trying to rile up comments and views. Oh, and his channel "expansion" was a disaster, the shilling out subscription boxes and fucking around on Halo 5 constantly clogged my subs.
>>
>>5837890
Holy shit what the fuck????????????
>>
>>5835953
Funny, I don't even like them, but you act like reviewers aren't allowed to voice their opinions about the topics surrounding the toy.
>>
>>5831644
Haha this. I unironically enjoy OAFE reviews because of how much it triggers other people. Plus their main reviewer "yo" is one of the only few reviewers I've seen that actually gives a crap about researching into the toy they're reviewing (for the most part anyway).
>>
>>5839062
>I used to watch Anthony's Customs, but that guy's voice is annoying is shit and he complains about EVERYTHING. If you want to know about a figure's articulation, he's your guy, but damn he just seems like he hates everything.
Yeah no. Anthony complains about valid issues that you might not even notice until you got a figure in hand yourself which is useful for avoiding bad releases. Most of his positive reviews center on what would be considered "amazing" figures and they mostly end up being imports, a few NECA and the rare ML that isn't shit.

Most his negative reviews have been centered on PAK -which he will no longer be buying- and Marvel Legends which has plenty of shoddy QC and lazy releases under it's belt. If you just want validation for shit you already bought then he is not the reviewer for you. If you want to save hundreds if not thousands of dollars then he is a great resource.
>>
>>5839988
>>5839994

It's been a lot of forced SJW shit lately, but yo is such a hypocrite because he collects adult nudie figures too. I think his wife is forcing him to do it. He's always been a hypocrite though. he buts constant Mattel toys yet he whines about literally everything they do, even if it's nitpicky bullshit(he hates "Collect & Connect" and pretends it's worse than the Holocaust) and recently said the company can't make quality toys. He praised the shit out of MOTU 200X and likes MOTUC, so fuck his fake crying.
>>
>>5840004
>defending your low effort, on-the-fly reviews this hard
Topkek, Anthony
>>
>>5840024
>any time someone defends someone you accuse them of being that person
Yeah ok. Fact is there are reviewers who try a lot harder and yet are much less informative than Anthony. Plus their videos end up being 20-30 minutes due to mumbling, fumbling and repeating shit.

Is Anthony perfect? Hell no. Sometimes he misses something and he's a bit boring but he is informative generally speaking. For pure entertainment value he is shit-tier but for info on flaws he is great. Plus he doesn't accept bribes to talk a toy up like some.
>>
>>5840132

"Some" being ShartimusPrime, for starters (fuck that unfunny piece of shit, seriously).
>>
Shartimus kinda helped me get into the hobby. I'm a lover of US Hasbro-shit which he's good at covering. Beyond that I actually like the format of the show so I'll watch reviews of stuff I'd probably never even consider buying. He's working more on his music, and teaching drum lessons so he's slowed down a bit, but it's cool that his whole world isn't just sitting in a toy room.

I'm a sucker for the running gags and the theme song. He doesn't feel like he's putting on a bullshit 'nerdy-host' persona, unlike most reviewers.

>"heyerrybudddy itsssss glennnnnnnnnn"
God it makes my skin crawl

He's not usually prone to sweaty palms, cringey bullshit, he seems genuine.

If you don't like him cause of the humor, to each their own.
>>
>>5840320
He reminds me of a gross big brother who likes to pull pranks on you. Coincidentally, that's the type of person who got me into marvel so I don't mind it.I can see how it can get annoying, but some people just seem overly prissy about it (i.e. "Ew he named himself after poopy!")
>>
>>5840320

He's okay, but sometimes he patreon begs, and he quite obviously shills for companies that give him free stuff to review. And I mean ignore flaws kinda shilling.
>>
>>5840320
The only thing I don't like about him is the theme song.
>>
I like Robokillah on the Fwoosh channel.
>>
>>5837882
He's a poor fag that lives paycheck by paycheck from his youtube shekels. TF's and especially 3rd party stuff are too expensive for him.
>>
No mention of ReviewSpot? Spot has a really soothing dad voice, he can talk about Jason and Freddy figures and it'll put me to sleep like a baby.
>>
>>5840349

> still buys tons of Hot Toys

hmm.
>>
>>5840372
He uses youtube and patreon money to buy figures while his wife makes the money that keeps them alive.
>>
>>5840320
Nah, fuck that Big Time Spidey running gag, and fuck his brand of "humor". It's funny only for those stuck in the pre-teen developmental phase (he sounds like one of those, too).
>>
>>5837882
I think he used to have TF reviews, didn't he? They used to be more frequent, but I don't blame him for not buying more. Outside of MPs, Transformers have gone terribly downhill.
>>
>>5840413
>Transformers have gone terribly downhill.

Only reason most people don't want the new stuff is because the current generations line homages 86 headmaster toys. I know most g1 84-85 were off put by.
>>
>>5840504
I'm pretty sure it's because of the lack of quality, Anon. People have been quitting with Transformers ever since the decrease in size and overall plastic, as well as complexity (or at least in the main show lines).

Plus the ever so increasing popularity of third party products (which is why Masterpieces are being made a lot faster now). There's a growing amount of people who are buying third parties, sometimes even exclusively.
>>
File: 9_metamor_005_A (1).jpg (186KB, 636x636px) Image search: [Google]
9_metamor_005_A (1).jpg
186KB, 636x636px
As I'm steering into collecting more and more niche stuff like Sentinel releases, I'm finding myself in a dark zone as far as reviews go. It doesn't help that the fanbase for a lot of these pricy Japanese releases seem to have more money than sense. The common thing I see in Chogokin/Macross/ etc. forums is people just going in blind yet still ordering 2 or 3 copies of a figure then proceeding not to talk much a bout it at all.

What I can find on youtube or the odd text review tends to be the dregs. I bought Sentinel Dancouga, but in the lead up to ordering it I attempted to find any concise reviews. All I got was a nasally, whiny voiced dork fumbling with it across 5 videos, and who has become the bane of my existence, Meadeslemicah. He's a guy who somehow manages to be the only person to review the toys I want half the time. And most of the time its a rambling , glorified pictorial showcase. He lacks any sort of confidence in his voice and he's prone to effeminate giggling. the whole thing is so pathetic it brings out a bully mentality in me.

I mis the age of text reviews, furnished with a few chocie images. I grew up collecting Transformers and that was all I needed. Dave van domelen is particularly notable to me because his website is so old it lacks images integrated in the reviews even to this day, yet he writes so concise its barely needed. I wouldn't purchase a figure blind like that, but having thorough text in addition to a few images I can find myself give me a stronger idea of what to expect.
>>
I watch Meades' videos unironically. Gives a good overall feel for the figure, and if I'm interested in it I look up more reviews. I can live with his giggling because he's not totally retarded and doesn't bother trying to pretend he's srs bsns.
>>
File: 1467523918405.jpg (374KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1467523918405.jpg
374KB, 1200x1600px
>>5830565

Thew is the only good reviewer but he's way too lenient still and easily won over like most tf fans.

My favorite reviewer is this board collectively. Never steered me wrong and if there's anything wrong with any toy you can rest assured it'll be chipped away at like a jewish mother to self esteem.

Thanks /toy/.
>>
I used to like ashens. Now though he focuses too hard on loot crate and its various competitors. I get it, 95% of the stuff in those is shot that dollar stores couldn't sell, and he's going to call it crap. It was funny the first time, now it's expected.

He's also focusing too hard on collaborating with some cook that no one cares about to make videos no one's paying attention to, because he somehow thinks that newspaper headlines are a topic we want to see him discuss.

Think maybe he's burned out on good ideas and is trying desperately to keep up views? He's gonna go the way of Fred by this time next year at this rate.
>>
>>5840531
Combiner Wars had a drop in quality. But Titans Returns is a return to form imo (at least for deluxes). The quality of the show related toys are certainly lacking due to lack of budget, but I think it's pretty clear no one at Hasbro cares anything about the show other than filler to prepare for the next one.
>>
>>5836648

> dat pic.

CW Devy seriously embodies everything wrong with Transformers today and not just their over reliance on broken dumb canon or the degradation in both build quality and engineering.

Why would a kid with zero attachment to geewun ever want that thing enough to warrant the price and why would hasbro make such a thing only to gimp it to fit it with a kid's toy line?
>>
>>5840916
They're getting better, but still not great. It feels like a lot of the innovations that wrre becoming standard around 2009/2010 are periodically forgotten. That, plus 3Ps getting a lot better, make it harder to justify buying Hasbro/Takara's stuff.
>>
>>5840933
Because it's a giant robot?

Because 30% of their customer base according to their numbers are actually adults and not kids?
>>
>>5840933
Because its a giant fucking robot made of construction vehicles, which kids love. My 2 year old nephew flipped so much when he saw mine I have to buy one for his 3rd birthday.

Besides, kids know G1. I was a beast wars kid yet I still wanted G1 stuff because of certain episodes and because I discovered the internet, and that was before DVD releases and streaming. now kids can look up TF history anytime they want, with full episodes and all.
>>
>>5840938
Third Parties are mostly hovering in niches where Hasbro really doesn't put out much like MP scale and Legends scale. If you are like me and you collect generations, there is not much there now (there use to be like Mania King and Hegemon and various Dinobots).
>>
>>5840947
I was all for Classics-Generations for years, but then that mediocre Trailbreaker came out and killed a lot of the momentum for me. That and other mediocre to downright terrible figures killed the completionist mentality for me. Now I'm just buying figures as they interest me, official, or 3rd party. As far as being a G1 completionist, I'm seeing where MP goes; if they manage to do everything from the first two years, cool, if not, that's fine too. G1 and BW MPs are the only lines I can see myself getting everything from, so long as the quality hovers around the same.
>>
>>5840943
>>5840941

Their own staff admits the show runner line is neglected for the nastalgia driven one. The numbers don't hold up to even an iota of scrutiny the minute you realize they can't actually deduce whether or not it's manchildren, scalpers or moms clearing out the aisles.

Given the ginormous adult tf fanbase in comparison or the fact that there are enough to prop up the third parties, whose releases are becoming so plentiful they defy wikis, you'd think it'd be obvious enough.
>>
vangelus
thew
wotafa
bobby skullface
collector75
>>
>>5840882
>Meadeslemicah

Dear lord man, I feel your pain.
>>
>>5840961
>The numbers don't hold up to even an iota of scrutiny the minute you realize they can't actually deduce whether or not it's manchildren, scalpers or moms clearing out the aisles.

Yes you can with current day data mining tools. The stores for instance have gotten good at determining demographics just by what you buy or don't buy. There are ways for Hasbro to do the same.
>>
I like this japanese reviewer who features toy robots with cool stop motion animation. Forgot the guy's name...
>>
Thew
k2eizo
CC Lemon
Ultra Hero Toy Channel

I like my toy reviewers to shut the fuck up and show the toy.

and Thew is just awesome.
>>
>>5837738
This. Firestarter, Vangelus and DiegoDoom were my trinity.
>>
I'd like Vangelus if it weren't for his little "self deprecating" comments, they just distract and often discredit what he says, and it's not even funny
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.