[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Movie toys are choking the market

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 18

File: ACGHK-2016-More-Hot-Toys-017.jpg (90KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ACGHK-2016-More-Hot-Toys-017.jpg
90KB, 576x1024px
It seems like the only toys that survive in retail now are tie-ins to existing franchises, or at least have some media support. Hollywood keeps churning out movie after movie, yet the toy sales don't seem to be getting any better. and then these movie toys end up lingering for ages after words.

And its pretty obvious why; they've over-saturated the market. Parents aren't going to buy that Civil War Iron Man hen their kid still has one from Avengers or Iron Man 3. Or why buy that new movie Superman when Man of steel toys are still rotting on closeout stores. Hell there's even some Dark Knight Rises toys around here, too. We're soon to be on our 5th liveaction Transformers movie, coming out 10 years after the first. Any kid born between those years might just have an older relative that could just pass on all their old Transformers toys to. To say nothing of thrift shops and the like.

Its not just in retail markets, either, even collector's toys are dealing with this. There's 4 or 5 different companies doing 1:6 scale batman v superman and Suicide squad figures. SS isn't even out yet, but everyone's making a Harley and Joker figure. And then you have sequels, where yet another, similar designed figure is released a year or two later. Hell, Hot toys BvS Batman isn't out yet, and there's already a Suicide Squad version, and an inevitable Justice League version. Hot toys was releasing Avengers AoU toys even after CA3 came out. It just seems like a perfect way to cannibalize your own sales.

So what of this? Well, retail stuff will probbaly compress their movie stuff to the smallest amount; but ultimately they're still producing a glut of Iron Man, Batman, Optimus, etc. Meanwhile, collector's stuff just explodes with more and more companies doing their take. So how does this end up?
>>
File: IMG_20160722_122730.jpg (9KB, 205x285px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160722_122730.jpg
9KB, 205x285px
Kids are unimaginative fags
>>
>>5825258
You are taking the misconception that "market is flooded" means "there are no sales"
Normally what floods the market means it's selling well
Also for every kid that got their iron man mask during iron man 3 there are just as many kids that get old enough to want that mask when civil war hits
You also have factors of cost and profit
Those mask cost about 10.00 wholesale for a case of 10 so when one sells the case broke even and two sell you made a profit so say only 3 masks sell every case the store could still be making a 250% profit
>>
>>5825258
1.Money gets tighter people are less risky with there money
2. Toys of all markets have to compete with Video games, and the pricey tech that plays on them
3.humans have cult of personality issues even with entertainment goods and wish to worship the idols by buying the fetish totems of them
4. The corporate end of the bussines is no far to self aware of what makes profits and what dosn't risk taking is no longer encouraged like it was 30+ years ago.
Those 4 factors are why the market has become what it is
>>
>>5825277
>Those mask cost about 10.00 wholesale for a case of 10 so when one sells the case broke even and two sell you made a profit so say only 3 masks sell every case the store could still be making a 250% profit
Yeah, you go open a distribution account and say that again with a straight face. Trinkets like that usually have such embarrassingly small margins that I don't know who they think they're kidding.
>>
>>5825290
2. Toys of all markets have to compete with Video games, and the pricey tech that plays on them
for parents, video games are better investments than toys especially in the age of mobile gaming and free apps

even lower income families have gaming phones for their kids these days yet hesitate buying more expensive toys
>>
File: 1299625024487.png (74KB, 188x291px) Image search: [Google]
1299625024487.png
74KB, 188x291px
>>5825258
and what your trying to say is...
>>
>>5825258
TL;DR

suck a cock faggot
>>
File: pizzahut arcade.jpg (64KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
pizzahut arcade.jpg
64KB, 500x354px
>>5825290
>>5825453
You guys act like you never begged your parents for video games or weren't even born when every strip mall, mall, 7/11, pizza place, diner, laundry mat, hotel lobby, amusement park, ice cream store, bar, and pharmacy had an arcade.
>>
>>5825410

Toy margins for mass retail are typically between 45%-60%. With some giant chains, it can get even more lucrative when they negotiate hardball. 50% average is a pretty safe assumption across the board.

> $10 toy
> Store keeps $5
> Toymaker keeps $3
> Factory keeps $2 or less

Does not apply to JP imports or collectibles. Those things have tiny 20-30% margins.
>>
>>5825648
you act like the cost of a quarter is the same as the cost of a $100+ device and games for it is even close to relatable

I'm 34 and have seen the change where the toy market kept shrinking and this biggest factor was electronic devises became more and more available.
>>
>>5826734
I used to work for a QC company that gave me access to Walmart's entire system for ordering. I checked the wholesale prices for the things I was interested in when bored and on average it was closer to 30%. Margins on toys are TERRIBLE. Usually the store might make $5 at most per six inch figure.
>>
>>5826734
>>5826929
but that's not all inventory. You even noted that you were looking at figures you were interested in, rather than the whole department. That said some Action figures do have poor returns and they tend to be what the store considers reciprocity, the idea that John buys his sons Marvel heroes at Walmart means he will also eventfully buy his food and supplies from there as well.
When Captain America Civil War happen our store spike in sales of Marvel toys and merc but also saw a strong increase trend of buying across the board that still hasn't slowed down months later even with the spike dropping. That is a really big reason you see the more popular movie stuff filling store shelves, most buyers are not going to just buy their toys and leave.
>>
>>5825474
>>5825481
t. angry capeshit fans.
>>
>>5825258
>I don't understand how sales work

>>5827810
But he really doesn't drive his point home.
>>
File: kids playing with guns.jpg (174KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
kids playing with guns.jpg
174KB, 500x394px
>>5826917
>you act like the cost of a quarter is the same as the cost of a $100+ device and games for it is even close to relatable
LOLOL
Sorry, but you did not go to the arcade and spend ONLY 25¢. You brought or BEGGED for $2-10 depending on how long you wanted to spend time there
$2 was the equivalent of for 1¼ of a GI Joe back then.
So no matter what, kids has been using their meager income and split it up with video games back then as much as they do today.

Shit, an NES cost $200 back then. That's over $400 in today's money. So you were spending way more money on games back then than you do today.

>I'm 34 and have seen the change where the toy market kept shrinking
Don't bullshit me. I'm older than you and you have not seen the toy market shrink, considering toy companies are making morem oney than ever. Trends change, stores change, but toys are still selling as much if not more.
>this biggest factor was electronic devises became more and more available.
I don't disagree, but kids playtime really doesn't seem to have changed much since I was a kid. I used to work with kids every single day for years and years and from my interaction with them, they seem to have traded TV time with computer time. Video gaming and toy time hasn't really changed much, and this is mostly thanks to good parenting.
A good parent should be limiting their sedentary time in front of a screen, and that includes video game time too sometimes.
>>
File: 1464336860876.png (36KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464336860876.png
36KB, 498x500px
>>5827975
>$2 was the equivalent of for 1¼ of a GI Joe back then.
A new game system or phone/tablet varies between $100 and $400 that's whole toy series adding in game cost just feeds that worse

> kids has been using their meager income and split it up with video games back then as much as they do today.
back then it was limited and play value was nothing like it is now. 4th generation systems and up have had a huge impact on the toy market.
>Shit, an NES cost $200 back then. That's over $400 in today's money. So you were spending way more money on games back then than you do today.
NES sold 61 million units with very little competition(master system) leading to a mass of total of about 85 sold game systems at that time.
6th gen PS2 sold 155 million by it's self, added with the DS, Gamecube, and Xbox you get over 355 million units sold. The game market has exploded since then and with tablets and phones and the staggering sales they get it's clear the market change has been monstrous.

>you have not seen the toy market shrink, considering toy companies are making morem oney than ever.
Hasbro and Mattel both have recorded all time lows in the last decade, they are the big two in the toy market. We have seen piles of toy focused stores (KB Toys, the 1975 Children's Palace, F.A.O. Schwarz , etc) die in the wake of what was once three major electronic competitors (now all under one company) Toy's R Us has shrank their toy isle more and more while there electronic sections and departments keep growing. Same with Walmarts and Targets, less shelf space is dedicate to toys.

>I used to work with kids every single day for years and years and from my interaction with them
That's mostly anecdote. And sales trends are showing that it has changed, that kids/people are not buying toys as they once did. It's why most of the toy market in department stores and the like focuses on items that have tie ins with movies and the like.
>>
File: HAS-Net-Income.png (19KB, 650x388px) Image search: [Google]
HAS-Net-Income.png
19KB, 650x388px
>>5828496
>back then it was limited and play value was nothing like it is now. 4th generation systems and up have had a huge impact on the toy market.
lol, nope.
Sorry, but the fucking arcade was a solid industry for over a decade because fo how much value it had. And console games killed the arcade for the same reason.

>6th gen
Dont be dumb.
First, you're discounting the entire arcade industry from the 70s til 90s.
Second, you're ignoring that the demographics have shifted thanks to those of us in our 30s and 40s growing up with video games and continuing to play them. NES and Atari stuff was mostly kids buying them and a tiny minority of adults.
So the PS2 and Xbox 360 selling as much as they did is because kids AND adults bought into them. That's the main growth in the industry.
It's NOT more little kids playing/buying video games.

>Hasbro and Mattel both have recorded all time lows in the last decade,
Stop being dumb.
This isn't true and it ignores that LEGO has grown to rival them thanks to its growth.

>We have seen piles of toy focused stores (KB Toys, the 1975 Children's Palace, F.A.O. Schwarz , etc) die in the wake of what was once three major electronic competitors
Ignore the fact that Circuit City, Best Buy, Good Guys and other companies have also died out.....
But WalMart pretty much took over the number one spot. Same with them being number one book seller, despite their book section being limited as fuck.
You're misattributing business closing and smaller sections with a shrink in the industry, which couldn't be further from the truth.

> It's why most of the toy market in department stores and the like focuses on items that have tie ins with movies
Sure, it's anecdotal, but it's not a coincidence.
As for this, you're forgetting that companies want to carry lines that make big bucks. Hence companies like WalMart only carrying best seller books. They do the same shit with toys. Only sell the big stuff and ignore everything else. A vast dearth
>>
File: zN19Vkl.jpg (77KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
zN19Vkl.jpg
77KB, 500x323px
>>5828546
not that anon but LEGO has been more of it's own thing and it's worth noting even they got bit by the licensing bug
Also the 80's had a monstrous amount in variety in toys we don not have today.
>>
>>5825648
>compares the arcade market which is dead and gone to the modern mobile market
I don't have a reaction imagine big enough for that.
>>
>>5828557
>Also the 80's had a monstrous amount in variety in toys we don not have today.
Blame WalMart.
They're the ones creating a dearth in the industry, since they're the bigger retailer for toys and pretty much decides all mainstream toylines to be made.
But I don't think it's really that much of a difference. Instead of cartoons being commercials for toys, you now have movies cashing in in the same way 80s cartoons did.
SSDD.

Also, here's an interesting tidbit
>both the arcade and home markets combined added up to a total revenue between $11.8 billion and $12.8 billion for the U.S. video game industry in 1982. In comparison, the U.S. video game industry in 2011 generated total revenues between $16.3 billion and $16.6 billion.
Really says a lot about how nothing has changed except where they're played.
>>
>>5828570
>Blame Walmart. They're the ones creating a dearth in the industry, since they're the bigger retailer for toys and pretty much decides all mainstream toylines to be made.
This is some tin foil hat crazy. Walmart follows the money like every major retailer like it/before it. They decided like all others whatever is going to get them money.

>But I don't think it's really that much of a difference. Instead of cartoons being commercials for toys, you now have movies cashing in in the same way 80s cartoons did.
You are either underage or deliberately being stupid. The 80's and early 90's were clogged with both in such massive means. Shit like fucking Hook and Water World got toys hell there was shit ton of toy controversies in the70's/ 80's where rated R films got toys Movies have always been a huge toy market the only difference is now they have taken that market over. Hell toy lines without cartoons and shit almost never happen where is the 80's there were just as many.

>Also, here's an interesting tidbit- no link damage control stupidity

From the same wiki you get your source
>The video game industry generated worldwide sales of $19.8 billion in 1993 $20.8 billion in 1994 (equivalent to $41.5 billion in 2011). In the United States alone, in 1994, arcades were generating $7 billion in quarters (equivalent to $11 billion in 2011) while home console game sales were generating revenues of $6 billion (equivalent to $9 billion in 2011). Combined, this was nearly two and a half times the $5 billion revenue generated by movies in the United States at the time]

There was a huge spike followed by a decline post 08 like everything suffered. Toys on the other have gotten every streamed line, from 500 products in a store it drop to 450ish, then 300 now at best it's about 150 products in a toy isle at you local Walmart/Target.

There has been serious changes in what sells and what doesn't.
>>
>>5828546
>Ignore the fact that Circuit City, Best Buy, Good Guys and other companies have also died out.....
>Best Buy
but Best Buy is still around. There are 3 in my location doing fine. and in fairness Circuit City death was where corporate got greedy when minimum wage went up so they fired all their seasoned and experienced workers and the replacements were to inexperienced to keep customers happy. Also your examples don't work because while they were electronic specialty stores they were not exclusive to games. Even Best Buy only house 1/5th it's store to games. KB Toys and Children's Palace was mostly toys, that was their starting market was just toys.
>>
>>5825258
wtf I hate movie toys now
>>
>>5829098
Thanks for the (you)s it means a lot
>>
>>5825258
I want vidya game toys, like a 6" Quiet.
>>
File: mattelbvs-featured-031220161.jpg (414KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
mattelbvs-featured-031220161.jpg
414KB, 970x545px
I hate when toys use "live-action"-based designs. mainly because the designs in the movie/tv show itself have to take certain things into consideration, like comfort or some other aesthetic that only works in fiction. and companies tend to have trouble with making faces as accurate as possible, but it's just impossible even at a premium price.
>>
File: header.jpg (50KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
50KB, 500x300px
>>5829406
The worse was the first live action Gi Joe film. They just used what was at the time their new 3D scanner tech and scan the actors and actress faces and just the the 3D printer JUST it all up.
>>
>>5829073
>This is some tin foil hat crazy
Geez, you're closed off. There's tons of documenatries about this, nevermind the fact you can go to TRU and Walmart and see for yourself on how WalMart carries less stuff. And this is true for basically any industry: books, tools, paint, etc.
Do you even remember how NECA bent over backwards so WalMart could carry their PR line? It's a very big deal to get WalMart support to go into the mainstream.
>You are either underage or deliberately being stupid.
Nah, you're stupid. Read what i said again. SSDD = Same Shit Different Day, in case you don't know what it stands for.

>from 500 products in a store it drop to 450ish, then 300 now at best it's about 150 products in a toy isle at you local Walmart/Target
Again, it points toward how big box stores limit what's being sold, nevermind you're ignoring the fact that despite their being fewer lines, they're still making more money than they did in the 80s... you know, the entire point of your original stupid belief I've been arguing against. The toy market has not shrunk.
>Hasbro and Mattel both have recorded all time lows in the last decade,
Just to remind you how stupid you are.
>>
File: bain capital with mitt romney.jpg (97KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
bain capital with mitt romney.jpg
97KB, 1200x630px
>>5829087
My bad on the Best Buy thing, but you're missing the point, which is the refutation that specialty stores closing means the market is smaller.
So you point toward toy stores closing as proof, yet ignore that electronic stores are also closing. ... despite the fact sales for all of these markets have grown.

Can you even follow logic?

Also, another interesting tidbit is that Kaybee was still profitable almost to its end, but because their owners were taking out loans to give to themselves.... well, any company would go out of business like that.

also also
>implying TRU or KB only sold toys
It's almost like all these stores diversify to make sure if any one part slows down, it's unlikely to kill the entire company.
>>
>>5829579
Which Joe is that. I don't remember him from the movie...
>>
File: obi-wan-kenobi-13.jpg (149KB, 725x900px) Image search: [Google]
obi-wan-kenobi-13.jpg
149KB, 725x900px
>>5829579
The problem with the realistic faces from Hasbro isn't the sculpt, it's almost always the paint.

Head on the right is the original Black Series Obi Wan head. Head attached on the figure on the left is the upscaled Obi Wan head that was cast from the head on the right, which means it lost detail from the casting process. It's been handpainted, so all the details stand out better.
Another trick in making Hasbro heads look better is just adding a matte spray to them, to get rid of the shine and allowing the sculpt to "shine" through.
>>
File: 45621162567247.jpg (77KB, 1544x800px) Image search: [Google]
45621162567247.jpg
77KB, 1544x800px
>>5830199
You walk right around my " They decided like all others whatever is going to get them money."
People are not taking the time money or gas to buy specialty toys. They don't care about exclusives. Meaning the money isn't there anymore like it was that kids don't care enough.

Also You just admitted the industry changed in that post which undoes your original argument about SSDD in the toy industry because Walmart was not a driving force in the 80's and the changes you claim didn't happen till the mid 00's.

>they're still making more money than they did in the 80s... you know, the entire point of your original stupid belief I've been arguing against. The toy market has not shrunk.
But it has dramatically. There have been huge layoffs of both Hasbro and Mattel back in 2000's up adjusting to the shrinking market.

>>5830215
and with this post you both show you lack knowledge and understanding. Both KB Toys and Toys R Us were toy exclusive store. NES has to pitch it's system as a toy which is what sneak them into both stores and got game elections in toy stores and is the reason a good two decades show game systems as kids things.
And KB Toy in the last 5 years stop selling game system hardware and it made a massive blow to their sales which in turn worth what you brought up took out it legs and killed the store.
>>
File: toy sales worldwide.gif (10KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
toy sales worldwide.gif
10KB, 420x280px
>>5831275
>You walk right around my " They decided like all others whatever is going to get them money."
Because WalMart is big enough where ANY choice they make makes a big ripple to affect the industry and it's why so many companies cater to their whim.
>which undoes your original argument about SSDD
way to miss the point, which is that the 80s was full of cartoons advertising toys and now they're using movies to advertise toys.

>But it has dramatically. There have been huge layoffs of both Hasbro and Mattel back in 2000's up adjusting to the shrinking market.
You're fucking dumb.
Layoffs happen because they planned for X to sell well, so they increase personnel to ramp up production of X and Y starts to sell better, guess what happens? Layoffs.
Real world example: Hasbro laying off action figure guys and partnering with that Korean company to sell Kreos, to cash in on building blocks becoming much more popular.
The market did not retract. The market just wanted to give more money for another toy product.

>and with this post you both show you lack knowledge and understanding. Both KB Toys and Toys R Us were toy exclusive store
>implying they weren't selling DVDs and video games
>implying TRU doesn't sell babyshit now
Wow.
Seriously, you're completely ignorant.
You offer no proof to back up any of your claims and don't even understand what is being talked about.
>>
>>5831530
I don't know the Mattel stuff but hasbro has been doing bad the last few years
The movie spike sales but they still can't keep a market like they use to

http://m.golocalprov.com/business/hasbro-continues-to-lay-off-workers-despite-expansion-plans
>>
>>5831530
>bitches about sources
>never provides any other than crop imagines and cherry pick wiki quotes

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB981644116933458069
http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2012/03/hasbro_cuts_jobs_but_says_east_longmeado.html
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/01/26/hasbro-revenue-falls-short-layoffs-planned/qfoojym4QrxHBaW8q6lDrM/story.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB924185202662741556
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3014786-mattel-trouble-in-toyland
>>
>>5831530
>You offer no proof to back up any of your claims and don't even understand what is being talked about.
But that's exactly what you are doing
If you are shitposting you really need to work on it because at best you might get a couple more (you)s after this
If you are serious you need to look over that you might be just as bad as those you fight because you both are not goveing any real sources.
>>
>>5831530
Toys are us was a primary toy provider
Babies needs and electronics department came after a while
Babies R Us (the baby needs) happen after Toys R Us was hitting record lows and we're shutting down manny stores and many that didn't get shut down were repoupused as babies r us

I think there is enough evidance that shows the market has changed a great deal in electronics favor. I don't think toys will ever be phased out but it has changed to where a toys lines are no were near as diverse and most analyst point to the game and now mobile boom.
>>
File: hasbro-5-638.jpg (89KB, 638x826px) Image search: [Google]
hasbro-5-638.jpg
89KB, 638x826px
>>5828496
Yeah, Hasbro got hit for not following the trends, but not like this guy claimed
>>5831535
>Hasbro and Mattel both have recorded all time lows in the last decade, they are the big two in the toy market.
And it ignores the overall growth in the toy industry and LEGO's rise in the market.

I should note that since this chart http://i.4cdn.org/toy/1469952671889.png , they're making more than ever. haven't looked at 2015, so they haven't been doing bad these past few years.

>>5831542
>>5831548
Pretty amazing dude, but I've shown and proven that the market hasn't contracted and that Hasbro wasn't hit as big as you think.
You just don't understand business, muchless the arguments you're trying to push.
>>
>>5831562
That chart dosnt go back to the 90s where they had a hard drop in sales
They climbed up but it's still nothing like it was
I know enough business to know when I see a spin
>>
>>5825270
pretty much this, kids are getting ipads and shit for their 7th birthdays now, it's all over. you can kiss childhood adventure and imagination goodbye.
>>
File: 2-shits.jpg (37KB, 502x239px) Image search: [Google]
2-shits.jpg
37KB, 502x239px
>>5831604
>dat backpedaling and goalpost movement
wowowowowowow
So what happened to
>Hasbro and Mattel both have recorded all time lows in the last decade
oh right, you're full of shit making bullshit claims.

>>5831612
>getting a gameboy when I was 7 and playing pokemon on it meant i went on adventures on my couch being sedentary, unlike those lazy kids today playing games on their couch with their ipads
or are you actually old enough to remember when video games weren't popular in the early 70s and before?
>>
>>5831620
>Implying I spent all fucking day playing pokemon on the gameboy
>>
File: last action hero.jpg (139KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
last action hero.jpg
139KB, 960x720px
>>5836730
>implying kids today spend all day playing pokemon go on their smartphones
You're such a unique and special snowflake and your generation is the bestest
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.