[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Really, how much money does Todd actually save with this stupidity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

Really, how much money does Todd actually save with this stupidity?
>>
>>5815515
Yeah, some of the best paint apps and sculpts are stupid.
>>
File: chris.jpg (99KB, 620x393px) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
99KB, 620x393px
Leave Todd alone.
Poor guy just wants to stay living in the 90's when his company was still relevant.
>>
>>5815516
>best
>and he likes statueshit no less
heh
>>
>>5815515
>McFarlane Toys
>it's a statue with one thigh cut

Is he legitimately retarded?
>>
>>5815515
>>5815521
>another Todd McStatue
I know right? I'll gladly ignore this toy again like in the good ol' days
>>
>>5815525
LEGitimately.
>>
File: Conan King.jpg (122KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
Conan King.jpg
122KB, 1080x810px
I'll buy it.

Sure, it's a McStatue, but it looks amazing and doesn't cost a lot.

Fuck, I'd buy an actual statueshit again.

But yeah, I'd wish they'd make fully articulated Spawn (again) instead of placing swivels everywhere with a smattering of ballhinges.
>>
>>5815553
This particular statue doesn't look that impressive, though.
>>
File: conan not amused.jpg (253KB, 1407x1386px) Image search: [Google]
conan not amused.jpg
253KB, 1407x1386px
>>5815558
I hope you're talking about Spawn, and that's only because you're ignorant of actually seeing the figure, because that Conan figure is easily better than most statues costing 5x at that time.
>>
>>5815567
I assumed you were talking about Spawn, yes.
>and that's only because you're ignorant of actually seeing the figure,
How?
>>
>>5815571
Looks better in person.
>>
>>5815572
Seeing it in-person doesn't make it look any more visually interesting.
>>
>>5815580
oh, s o you just dont like the more classic spawn?

go back to thinking capullo is the greetest, newfag.
>>
>>5815583
No, I just don't like boring looking statues.

They could have done something more interesting than him just a generic standing pose. It's not a bad looking statue by any means (aside from retarded swivel placement), just that there's a lot of better options.
>>
File: george-washington.jpg (515KB, 2000x1157px) Image search: [Google]
george-washington.jpg
515KB, 2000x1157px
>>5815588
>that pose
>not generic
You know, i actually dislike McFarlane doing their Walking Dead and Game of Throne figures looking too dynamic.

I also hated Hasbro's Unleashed line because of that too
>>
holy shit, its $6 more than the fully articulated ones.
>>
>>5815609
>makes mixed up line of figures named for the color of the packaging

lost his mind
>>
>>5815613
ever gone to the store looking for a toy and wished you could tell one wave from another?
Pretty easy to tell at a glance what wave is on the pegs at a glance with colors, instead of looking for the numbers on the side of the box or needing to move them around to see the box art.

of course, this is just moot if you prefer box art to just genericness.
>>
>>5815606
If you aren't into the dynamic shit, I guess that's fair enough.

I prefer my Spawns doing at least something than just >>5815515. I'd like it more if they made the cape a bit more swooshy or something.
>>
>>5815515
>Implying he does it to save money.

I don't think, you don't have a leg to stand on.
>>
>>5815515

Rubber stink statues.

I bet he can't draw to save his life these days.
>>
>>5815515
Todd has been interviewed on this subject multiple times. It's not about saving money for him. He doesn't believe in using joints unless they can be hidden by the costume.

Costs also come into play because unless he can budget in proper ankles the knees/hips would be useless. Which in turn makes any torso articulation worthless. Which in turn makes arm articulation worthless.

He also doesn't believe he can get proper ankles into the toys without breaking sculpt (which he refuses to do) and therefore all other articulation is removed as well even if it can work within the design. He has weird opinions on articulation.
>>
>>5815553
>>5815567
I love that Conan. Great display piece.
>>
>>5815728
https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane/status/755195526220541952/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane/status/756656381424435200
>>
>>5815553
What is this and how do I throw money at it
>>
>>5815729
>He doesn't believe in using joints unless they can be hidden by the costume.
So he likes to make action figures...that can't actually be played with.
THEN WHY DOES HE EVEN MAKE TOYS? THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME NUTS FOR 20 YEARS! FUCKING TODD! FUCK! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>5815836

Hmmmm not bad. Still relies too much on ink but not bad at all.

Meanwhile the rest of the industry forgot how to draw once the premadonna writers starting eating up all the budget.
>>
>>5815618
no....

...lol never

takes 3 seconds to see whats going on no matter what they put on the box
>>
>>5815729
>unless he can budget

>figures are $20

this is a guy that spent 3 million on a baseball

this art angle is a clever story he's always used to cut costs. He knows what this current market wants.

to say walking dead figures are like Michaelangelos David is just ridiculous. He's pocketing a lot of money is what hes doing.
>>
>>5816257
>premadonna
Illiterate shit-heap.
>>
>>5816959
looks like someone fell out of the /co/ hugbox ! poor baby!
>>
>>5815525
What's the point of the thigh cut anyway? So you can make him less stable?
>>
>>5817049
so the leg could be painted quicker and thrown into a pile
>>
>>5817049
They're actually pretty important, since you need to shift the weight depending on how the arms and torso are posed.
>>
>>5816100

believe it or not, some collectors prefer this sculpt style over mostly ugly articulation points. especially for collectors like me who keeps 90% of his figures MOC, they just look better imo.

I have an almost full set of the old Resaurus Street Fighter figures, they have terrible articulation, but they are fantastic looking figures. Im glad they went this route with those
>>
>>5818714
Just buy fucking statues in the 6 inch scale then. Don't make "action figures" that aren't action figures. Make statues with removable parts to get different poses.
>>
>>5818735
>>5818735
except, how much do actual statues cost?

McFarlane pretty much outdoes practically all budget and midrange statues at the price of an action figure. Or at least, that's how these production test figures look to be.
>>
Does Todd have any direct involvement with the toy division anymore?

Also

>make sports toys
>dont give them great articulation to recreate the action of the game
>>
>>5819052
I think that's actually the problem. He IS involved.
>>
>>5819052
are you fucking kidding? his company isn't very big all.
>>
File: NFL McFarlane.jpg (631KB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
NFL McFarlane.jpg
631KB, 3872x2592px
>>5819052
>>dont give them great articulation to recreate the action of the game
uhhh....
>>
>>5819263

>Sportspicks

I said great
>>
>>5818939
Figuarts Zero were priced really fairly for a long time. Around $25-30, prices only started going up due to the whole economy situation in Japan. The first batch of releases was shit but they got really fucking good over time.
>>
>>5815515
>stupidity
I know /toy/ is insanely autistic but it's just an action figure. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it but you sperg retards will nitpick anything made out of plastic
>>
>>5815547
CARLOS
>>
>>5815729
Jesus christ, he's literally Subjectanon/MUH SCULPT anon in charge of a toy company.
>>
>>5824676
It's because they're autists who need 30 points of articulation so their batman can feed hatsune miku a cheeseburger
>>
>>5827673
>articulation is bad
You're on the wrong board.
>>
>>5816257
He works 100% digitally nowadays. Go on his Facebook, those sketches take him literally 4 or 5 minutes each on a Cintiq.
>>
>>5827673
>implying the points of articulation matter as much as the usable range of motion
Points of articulation mean jack shit. I can put 30 points of articulation in a toy and if each joint has a few degrees of motion it means nothing. Points of articulation is literally a gimmick buzzword/phrase.

That said...if you don't want articulation you can buy a statue. I myself love statues and have a bunch of them. I like the dynamic sculpts, the realistic folds, the proper anatomy, etc. However, when I buy an action figure I want it to actually be capable of EXPRESSIVE movement.
>>
>>5827673
he doesnt make his figures feeding other figures with burgers
i pity you
>>
File: 141_2507.jpg (251KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
141_2507.jpg
251KB, 1280x960px
>>5815515
>Another Spawn figure with like 2 points of articulation.

It's sad that the best Spawn figure ever was 10th Anniversary Spawn and it came out over 11 years ago.
>>
>>5829039
How does it feel knowing that McFarlane hates the figure you love most? It's been brought up with him in interviews and he has expressed his disdain for it and how he will never let another Spawn figure have that much articulation again.
>>
>>5815580
I have that figure but mine doesn't have the base.
>>
>>5829083
The fucking faggot could at least rerelease it
>>
>>5818714
too bad the poses are shitty
>>
McFarlane thinks this is what people actually want... wow. Well, have fun losing even more money Todd. Companies like NECA and Mezco will continue to eat your lunch.
>>
Thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KY46nXfH4
>>
>>5834690
>McFarlane thinks this is what people actually want
well...its true
>>
>>5818939
the point remains

DON'T call them "action figures" when there's no actual action.
>>
File: not action figures because.png (2MB, 1436x867px) Image search: [Google]
not action figures because.png
2MB, 1436x867px
>>5835755
>they're not action figures because i say so
STFU God. No one cares about you anymore!

>>5835539
Sure, it's true, and I'll be buying some of them, but it's disappointing to see such beautifully sculpted toys wasted on something only a 90s kids would like.
>>
>>5835924
>they're not action figures because i say so
No, they're not action figures because statues with a single swivel or maybe two aren't action figures.

>STFU God
And if you can't deal with that, maybe you should go back to Tumblr.
>>
>>5835924
action figures=articulated
statueshit/figures=op pic related

I'm not even him but get it right
>>
File: total justice.jpg (196KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
total justice.jpg
196KB, 1280x720px
>>5836043
but his figures do feature a lot of swivels and even ball-hinges.
More features than action figures from the 90s
>>
>>5835755

Definitely not. These are sculptures or statues. Not action figures.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.