[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

what went wrong?
>>
File: young_justice_6_inch_set.jpg (28KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
young_justice_6_inch_set.jpg
28KB, 390x390px
Mattel giving money to DC for the license and DC allowing Mattel to renew it despite their constant failures.

it's Mattel's fault that Young Justice was canceled too.
>>
>>5790213
Aqualad was the best one, even if he couldnt hold his own weapons and that he was still shit
>>
>>5790213

Well Hasbro jumped ship to Marvel years ago. Who else can the license go to? Jakk's?
>>
>>5790300
Yes.
anyone would be better than Mattel.
>>
>>5790185
>what went wrong?
You like DC. You wanted kid's toys. You thought kid's toys would be better. Etc.
>>
>>5790312
>Now announcing the licensing for 2017
>FUNKO/Jazwares/Playmates will be producing all product for DC!
>>
>>5790316
>>5790185

i cant remember the last time we had good DC figures. Marvel always had aesthetically pleasing designs for some reason.
>>
>>5790213
Probably a bit of that is to blame, but the execs canned it when they found out girls liked it more than boys. Can't sell those toys to girls, can we?

Also I saw those figures (both the decently articulated and the 5 POA) maybe a few times before they were gone. Either they weren't buying lots of them, or they sold out quickly in my area.
>>
>>5790185
>tfw the new "good" Kid Flash figure will be black
>>
>>5790213

> WB's consumer product division also govern's DC's toy rights.

Well it all makes perfect sense now. The same retards that kept hemorrhaging money on the Wachowskis and only fired Shyamalamadingdong after he refused rewrites.

We'll experience heat death of the universe before that license ever goes to anyone else.
>>
>>5791254
>but the execs canned it when they found out girls liked it more than boys
That really had nothing to do with it.
It's got canceled only because the toys weren't selling.

The TV creators, and other related media guys, were just upset that they didn't want to capitalize on the female fans.
>>
>>5790414
Nah, DC has overall better character designs, though Marvel's A-listers are top-tier, but they just have no fucking clue how to do anything right while Hasbro has the cleanest record among american toy companies; they are not bad, but you can't ever say they are the best.
Now, the main reason I have never bought anything from DC is because their toys are always poorly designed and I always hear about their terrible QC. And when it's not either of those, it's stupid shit like being tiny or having minimal articulation because muh scoolpt.
>>
>>5792458
*they are good, but you can't ever say they are the best either.
>>
>>5790185
It's DC. that's what was wrong.
>>
>>5792458
>but you can't ever say they are the best.
But Hasbro has god-tier sculptors.
Their sculpts ARE the best.
>>
>>5792526
>dat george lucas
They do, but they often ruin their own sculpts when painting them.
Also, there are their issues with distribution, annoying exclusives, bad QC recently, transformers being the buffer line so it gets all costs possible cut down, etc.

But they are still the best when compared to the other companies.
>>
File: hasbro god redecos.jpg (616KB, 800x594px) Image search: [Google]
hasbro god redecos.jpg
616KB, 800x594px
>>5792545
>blaming Hasbro for store distribution centers not shipping toys to their stores
>bitter he can't get exclusives
Might as well blame Hasbro for your small dick.

>bad QC recently,
>recently
lol wut?
Bad QC is their middle name, which is why you should always buy their stuff in person.
But what specific issues are you talking about anyway, because i have not seen anything THAT bad recently.

And seriously, their sculpts are amazing, regardless of their paltry paint apps. The figure looks almost perfect in person, since the sculpt really shines through that painted details aren't always needed. It's when they fucking blow it on the paint apps when it's hideos.

more of their fucking UNNFFF. Even their retools can be god tier.
>>
>>5790185
Literally?

Too many girls liked it.

No shit, look it up. That's the reason.
>>
>>5792570
>Even their retools can be god tier.
Hasbro definitely does a better job with retools and reuse of parts than Mattel. After getting Suicide Squad Joker, I realize that he, Lex Luthor, and Endgame Joker all reuse the same arms and legs, and it's incredibly noticable, and in my opinion rather lazy. Especially with Joker, where the pants are the same color and it stands out more when they're together. It looks bad.

At least your pic looks much better, and actually different.
>>
>>5790300
I'd say go to Hasbro anyways
>>
>>5794410
It's the marketing executive being pants-on-head retarded that was the problem. Even Dini thought it was stupid.

If YJ aired later with that DC doll line proving it can sell well, I'd imagine it'd fare better. Assuming CN wasn't planning to sabotage it because of how much it costs to produce, anyway.
>>
File: 1369107641818.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1369107641818.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
I met one of the Young Justice writers at a con a few years back... the show wasn't canceled because of the toys... Between the voice actors and Cartoon Network, it was costing DC almost $2,000,000 an episode to air and they didn't think it was doing well enough to shell out that much money when they could pay less than a quarter of that per episode of Teen Titans Go
>>
>>5790185
They didn't know how to handle the property, most of the figures were fucking over priced, the characters the fans wanted were only available in two packs with characters nobody wanted for way too goddamn much money. But you know let's blame girls.
>>
>>5794536
>the characters the fans wanted were only available in two packs with characters nobody wanted

Businesses do this all the time to get the shelfwarmers off their case pre-emptively. They shove guys everyone wants with guys no one does, then price it higher as a "Fuck you".
>>
File: mythiclegions1.jpg (183KB, 950x713px) Image search: [Google]
mythiclegions1.jpg
183KB, 950x713px
>>5794418
>Hasbro definitely does a better job with retools and reuse of parts than Mattel. After getting Suicide Squad Joker, I realize that he, Lex Luthor, and Endgame Joker all reuse the same arms and legs, and it's incredibly noticable, and in my opinion rather lazy.
I blame 4H.
As much as i love their original designs, everything is very samefag.
There's almost no diversity in the way something is sculpted. It's very "flat", as in they're sculpted to be standing still.
The sculpt is technically great, but there's nothing dynamic about it. Hasbro's sculptors almost always add wrinkles or wavey motions in the fabric and hair, so it looks like it's in motion. That dynamic sculpt is easier to "hide" the samefagness of the retools because just posing them differently will make the wrinkles and shadows shift around to make it look different.

So even 4H's own lines suffer from that stiff look, which isn't to say that i don't like 4H, because i've basically bought from every single of their releases and love almost all their designs, but it's just a minor point on why their retools look like samefag.
>>
>>5794510
That still has to do with toy sales.
The cartoon basically acts like commercials for the toys and the toys fund the cartoon. So you're right that it's cheaper to make a cheaper cartoon, because a cheaper cartoon doesnt' require high toy sales to keep the cheap cartoon afloat.

I should note that another major piece in why the cartoon was canceled is because DC animation basically gets shit from their show airing on CN. Almost all ad revenue goes to CN and CN dislikes airing shit it won't profit from. It's one of the reasons why Teen Titans was canceled in the first place. Justice League too, which basically only got to Unlimited and its final season because the toyline was a big success. Hence, Young Justice being canceled because the opposite happened.

Pretty much every division within WB is at war with one another, at least, back then when i was able to listen in on intergossip shit.
>>
>>5794554
When you're dealing with collectors it kinda works, when you're dealing with a mostly teenage fanbase who are holding out for a single packed Miss Martian it doesn't.
>>
>>5794578
Also don't forget that Mattel thought of the female figures as the shelf warmers and packed them in with the cool dudes thinking that's how they would get them to sell and it was literally the opposite of what every fan wanted. No one wanted Vandal Savage or Martian Manhunter, they wanted Cheshire and Miss Martian.
>>
>>5794559
>everything is very samefag

There's a reason for that. Being big fans of He-Man, they've incorporated many of the lessons of the classic line- the biggest is parts sharing. A big reason why the original He-Man was a success was because with a few base parts and minor changes, they can easily and cheaply build a diverse cast of characters.

If every figure was completely different, they'd have no way of supporting the costs.

That's how DCUC was able to produce 20 waves of stuff and have a little bit of everything. That's how MOTUC is able to make a line of over 100 mostly excellent figures despite having the lowest of corporate priorities and the shittiest of online service. That's also why NECA Aliens and Predators can be successful. Same for Marvel Legends.
>>
>>5794587
>That's how DCUC was able to produce 20 waves of stuff and have a little bit of everything. That's how MOTUC is able to make a line of over 100 mostly excellent figures despite having the lowest of corporate priorities and the shittiest of online service. That's also why NECA Aliens and Predators can be successful. Same for Marvel Legends.

I for one actually really like clever parts reuse when done right, and I think 4h does it better than most.
>>
File: Ghost-Rider-Comparison.jpg (377KB, 1280x1519px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-Rider-Comparison.jpg
377KB, 1280x1519px
>>5794587
You're missing the point, in that Hasbro does the same shit, except their toys end up looking much different from one another, because of how their sculpts are done.

Shit, even some people here on /toy/ have fought tooth and nail that the sculpts are different and weren't reused for other figures, because of the lighting and paint affecting how it looks.
Dynamic sculpting works extremely well.

I should also note that these same characters were retooled in the MU line as well, plus Starlord.
>>
>>5792397
> not knowing that the toy market banks on segregating boy's and girl's toys
Nah dude it really was because they weren't getting the demos they wanted, namely young boys.
>>
black dikc
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.