[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about these /toy/? Mondo 1/6th scale tmnt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

How do you feel about these /toy/? Mondo 1/6th scale tmnt
>>
>>5651927
They screwed up by making them twice as big as they should have been, otherwise they would have been great action figures.
>>
File: Mat12BatSup.jpg (43KB, 621x447px) Image search: [Google]
Mat12BatSup.jpg
43KB, 621x447px
It shouldn't be surprising given the name, but Mondo is making their stuff way too big for what it is. this and Iron Giant should've been a fraction of their size. Admittedly I did preorder Iron Giant, because when else are we gonna get a figure of him?

Anyway, while I admit I don't have one of these myself, my main issue is that its borderline Hot Toys price for something that feels like 2-up 6'' figure. It reminds me of Mattel's 2-ups that they did for their dC superheroes toys; basically releasing a copy of the model Four Horsemen sculpted on that was then downsized. But those where $30 toys; I know production costs and licensing means Mondo can't charge that, but these should be $100 figures at most. even NECA does 1/4 figures for $100. Threezero makes near-Hot toys quality figures for the same price as these.
>>
>>5651927
they're big ass NECA ripoffs that still suckered me into pre-ordering a leonardo
>>
>>5652015
>near-Hot toys quality
What does Hot toys actually have over Three zero or other 1/6 companies? Is it the headsculpts or something?
>>
>>5652064
In general Threezero can release stuff that surpasses Hot toys, but not necessarily 1/6 figures. Mainly mecha stuff. They are getting much better,though, while from a lot of accounts HT seems to be phoning things in. Anyway, it mainly has to do with capturing a living quality to a realistic sculpt,which is getting there for Threezero, as well as making all the fabric materials looking fitting and not oversized or awkward. That said they're a better value than hot toys, and a lot of offbrand Chinese companies are killing it when it comes to 1/6 unlicensed figures.

I'd say the height of Hot toys is stuff like their Jack sparrow or Christopher reeveSuperman, which really have a spark of life to them.
>>
File: image.jpg (687KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
687KB, 1536x2048px
>>5652064
World-beating casting quality, paint application (especially on faces, skin and armour), tailoring, etc.

Apart from a handful of releases with issues (some figures with rubber parts, etc), they're as good as it gets for mass-produced products.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>5652077
Seconded.
>>
>>5652075
>>5652077
Where do thoseunlicensed Art Figures guys rank? Their Dredd seemed pretty life like.
>>
>>5651927
I see no point in getting them because they're entirely too big, and you can get bootleg Neca Turtles w/ different colored headbands for a fraction of the price.
>>
>>5652092
i would say second to hot toys when it comes to paint and sculpt but better accessories and consistently better articulation.
>>
>>5651927
There's no reason for them to be priced so high. It's only to keep the "plebs" out. See the people that can easily afford this kind of stuff aren't hurt by the high prices or price increases. It's class warfare and they're laughing it up.
>>
>>5652123
Its funny because there's such diminishing returns on humanoid figures once you pass $100. Wow, you got a Batman figure for $220 that doesn't crouch or have double elbows.
>>
>>5652135
Yeah. I feel sometimes that licenses are wasted on hot toys when there a plenty of arguably better and often times cheaper 1/6 companies.
>>
>>5652135
>>5652161
Now that's what I call sour grapes
>>
>>5652167
I'll give hot toys that they have a lot of versatility. They take on wildly different sculpts from different franchises and almost always nail them the first time.
>>
>>5652175
That do, i just don't know why they mess up on simple things most of the times
>>
>>5652167
No, I own Hot Toys, I speak from experience. I don't regret buying them, but they aren't three or four or five times as good as a $30-50 figure.
>>
>>5652135
You don't collect hot toys for posability, you collect them for detail and to have a somewhat reconfigurable display piece.

They aren't meant to be played with like those $30-50 figures.
>>
>>5652201
But there are plenty of 1/6s with really good posability. And it's not just for play, it's so you can display them in a greater range of poses.
>>
>>5652208
Can you show us some that have that same level of detail/costuming that have better articulation?

The costumes alone on most of their figures make up the majority of articulation limitation.

You can't do a full costume on say the batman returns batman and not limit the articulation heavily. The costume is like solid rubber. If you split it up like a regular toy it defeats the purpose of being a movie accurate display piece.
>>
>>5652215
Shit like Batman Returns is infeasable yeah, but there are highly detailed and thick costumed 1/6s with good articulatio, for ecample Art Figures Dredd. He even has working ankle rockers through thick boots.
>>
>>5652222
>Art Figures Dredd

Can you show off examples of his maximum range of articulation?

I mean, the pictures I'm seeing are the same stuff I see hot toys doing with a lot of figures, right down to the ankle rockers with boots.
>>
>>5652225
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRJCaQE_TA
He gets into articulation at about 9:30.
>>
>>5652302
honestly great articulation, but the costume goes to shit in a lot of those poses.

Essentially, they got away with it by using loose light material as a base. That same body would have been hosed if they had to use something thicker like you'd have to for a lot of figures. still limited compared to a lot of smaller figures.

Hot toys has done some great posable figures, too. Their amazing spider-man 2 figure was sweet.
>>
>>5652353
anything they make that is made to displayed with exposed skin usually ends up getting limited articulation in those parts though. I think its a case of them placing sculpt as a priority over articulation. personally i would rather them not though.

and why the fuck do they use molded boots and shoes all the time. Thats what bugs me the most. Other companies use footwear made of fabric and it looks fine and works perfect. in fact a lot of the fabric boots help the ankle joints balance more easily and can make a stand unnecessary.
>>
File: 650h-Donny1.jpg (96KB, 520x650px) Image search: [Google]
650h-Donny1.jpg
96KB, 520x650px
OK, forget about Hot toys, back to turtles. Man, this is a 1/4th Neca figure, about 8 inches bigger, about the same articulation, and $50+ dollars cheaper.Its ridiculous to me that Mondo basically made these as giant toys. with visible cut joints and all, yet didn't even bother to go the distance with the articulation. Hardcore turtle collectors already have the NECA Mirage turtles, or at least bootlegs. As far as ridiculously oversized turtles go, I'd much rather go for NECA's 1/4 movie stuff over this because I have no real connection to the Mirage stuff.
>>
>>5652366
It depends on the figure, but figures with exposed skin usually have better articulation.

They also use molded material where appropriate.

Again, again, again, they are meant to mimic the real life figure as close as possible. Fabric boots on a figure wearing leather isn't going to work here.

Every hot toys I've gotten to see can stand fine on their own. The stands are literally there as an safety measure in case something makes them fall.

A lot of recent hot toys have ankle rockers and molded boot parts. They improved that.
>>
>>5652390
that is so perfect and i feel really really bad that i won't get it, because it's just too fucking big

Why can't they do something that's like 8" or 10"?
>>
>>5651927
They're too big, too expensive, and Raph is a little TOO green. (I know he's supposed to be more vibrant, but he's like plutonium there). Other than that, easily my favorite Turtles sculpt ever.
>>
>>5651927
They look awesome but I don't need such big turtles figures.
>>
>>5651927
The sculpt is fucking sweet, probably the best one yet for TMNT but I'm just not into that scale. It's just weird, too big, and the cost is just insane.
Maybe it's because I'm a poorfag and collect cheap shit but for the price of the set I could bring home a truckload of several different other lines.
>>
>>5652719
Rights issues. Other companies hold the rights to 5-7 inch figures,which is why Neca( and jakks) do so many giant figures. Its a loophole.
>>
>>5652201
Yeah man, you're paying $250 + for a toy, why have it be able to do the things that a product 1/4 it's cost can? Pshaw, articulation, that's just pleb stuff.
>>
>>5653723
welcome to the same mentality that sells Apple products.
>>
>>5651927
Those are some big guys.
>>
>>5653723
>Product sold to be played with an aimed at all ages
>Product sold to be a display piece and aimed exclusively at adults
>BAAAWWWW WHY AREN'T THEY THE SAME!

When you figure out how to have hot toys have the full range of posibility of SHF and still have the same detail, let them know. They'll probably be very interested in that.
>>
>>5653761
>I don't need my $250 toy to be equal quality to something that costs 10% its price, I'm a retarded snob who wants to show off

welcome to the same mentality that sells Apple products.
>>
>>5653767
You can't have that same costume quality and super articulation. Material isn't endlessly elastic while offering no resistance or pullback.

You know this.
>>
>>5653866
>muh excuses

the fucking Hot Toys bodies ARE highly articulated! If your bullshit made sense, they'd use those old crappy Hasbro 1990s bodies.
>>
>>5653916
If anyone hasn't figured it out by now, this guy is just trolling, just let the thread die.
>>
>>5653934
>not sharing my view is trolling

It's like I'm arguing with Jin Saotome- oh wait you probably are him, that would explain why you're a retard.
>>
>>5653940
>Pointing out that thick non-elastic material has limitations is just excuses!
>I'm not trolling!

Uh huh
>>
>>5653761
If collecting hot toys was worth it then you and others like you wouldn't have to desperately defend and justify them at every turn. Also the lack of articulation is still a major/unacceptable for a $200 + toy flaw regardless of the reasons why it can't be done. They should have thought about that during the design process.
>>
>>5653761
This is why people think Hot Toys collectors are pricks, instead of acknowledging the flaw while pointing out that it has strengths to make up for it you try to come up with some bullshit reason why REAL Collectors don't NEED articulation. It's so predictable.
>>
>>5653710
>Other companies hold the rights to 5-7 inch figures,which is why Neca( and jakks) do so many giant figures. Its a loophole.
Hence 8-10"

>>5653761
I think a company should just make a figure that has the same poseability and offer better paint and sculpt than a Figuarts.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.