[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech Disparity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: sergey-vasnev-old-wanderer.jpg (913KB, 1920x2343px) Image search: [Google]
sergey-vasnev-old-wanderer.jpg
913KB, 1920x2343px
I think Tech Disparity is not used enough in settings. In most settings there is a tech equality, all societies/factions/civilizations are on the same level.
or
The lower tech faction is given magic/bullshit to level the playing field.
I think that tech disparity could be used in a far more interesting fashion, by showing how a lower tech faction compensates the disparity through using what they have in an interesting way or developing a new technology of their own to meet the challenge they face.

Thoughts?
>>
Infinity does this with Nomads, Ariadna and Haqqislam.
>>
>>55420771
Care to elaborate? I'm interested.
>>
>>55420751
The question is if there is a tech disparity why haven't the other factions adopted the newer technology. If it's fairly modern, secrecy might make it work, but for a medieval-style world, something like a new longbow or armour would quickly spread to neighbouring countries if it's clearly better. There only wouldn't be a disparity if there were other reasons for them not adopting it, such as lack of material.
>>
>>55420828
ariadna are poor fags who use "old" tech (AK47s etc), don't really have hackers, but can't be hacked due to their mechanical equipment

nomads are stuck in space with stretched resources, so they have the technology, but not the resources to make everything

Haqqislam are rennaisance/golden age islamic science, who went off to their new planet and live in a super-tech civilisation
>>
>>55420881
Technological secrets can be held even in a medieval world. The secret of making silk was one of the the most heavily guarded secrets that the chinese had in the middle ages, and it was a big deal when it was stolen.
>>
>>55421071
not tech, but maps were also pretty well guarded scecrets
>>
>>55420751
I've run a campaign that was entirely built on this kind of divide. The setting was populated by survivors from another planet, but a rogue AI had decided technology made them too dangerous to themselves and each other, so it created countermeasures that would remove it from the picture. Some of the survivors and their tech had stayed in places too inhospitable for the countermeasures to reach them, though.

Fast forward a bunch of centuries and you had the people outside the Factory Cities growing most of the food, being kept compliant by a mixture of technological marvels that could survive outside and threats of wars they couldn't possibly win.

The setting was a bit anvilicious about the whole thing, but I felt it was the only way to keep the tech from being widespread over long periods.
>>
>>55421123
Yeah, the rutter's of a navigator were extremely valuable and kept others from knowing how you navigated to somewhere.

I'd count that as sort of technology, since it's knowledge.
>>
>>55420828
Ariadna cant be hacked cause they are too low tech but have shit gear, as a faction they have a greater focus on tradition hiding/ camouflage and having heavy ass armor for their dudes, Haqqislam have developed almost super science in the medical fields at the cost of some technological advantages, they have the best doctors, medics and will power. Nomads steal everyone else's tech and have mad scientists, but no real good resources so their mechs are 2nd/3rd hand and refurbished. but they have the best hackers and great engineers among other things that people think are crazy like deep strike drones
>>
File: graydon gun.jpg (84KB, 853x527px) Image search: [Google]
graydon gun.jpg
84KB, 853x527px
>>55420751
My item list currently goes from staff slings and bolas to dynamite guns and steam armor.

My "barbarians" have the compensation as theme. For example, using giant bats that can pinpoint iron deposits, fighting back gunpowder with stronger composite bows made with tendons and horn from dinosaurs.

The "basic" medieval empire has a single steamtrain railway bought at great cost from the nation in the northern continent which produces the steampunk stuff. It helps the latter need a lot of simpler stuff like horses because of their corrupted environment and the ongoing war with the undead.

The most advanced nation in the world does half the world's trading because of their portal network and fluyts. They have it due to having developed sacrophysics far beyond any other. Think a mix of celestial mechanics which relates as much to gravity and the sun as to gods and souls.

The orcs don't know how to use tools or fire. That's okay, because their scars are made of bone tissue. Their bones acumulate the iron they digest. The more they fight, the more armor and arms they get.

Star forst aren't as common as they should because the dwarfs developed chinese-style thick walls with rammed earth cores much before gunpowder was discovered.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.