[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help /tg/ how do I deal with a player who keeps trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 640.jpg (23KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
23KB, 640x360px
I need help /tg/ how do I deal with a player who keeps trying to be the center of attention? I'm DMing a 5e campaign and everyone else is well versed in the game but this guy isn't. He's wanted to play for a while now so I figured I'd let him join my next campaign. He got his desire to play the game from le nat20 memes and such and frequently misunderstands the rules and how rolls work which is frustrating in itself, but the real problem is his frustrating tendency to want to be the 'main character' so to speak:

>Gets mad when he doesn't get the killing blow on enemies
>Hoards magical items for himself instead of sharing them among the group
>In combat acts independently of other players instead of working with them as a team
>Describes overly elaborate attacks and gets annoyed when, due to his rolls, those attacks don't kill the enemy like how he described
>Undermines my DM authority and declares actions as though they've already happened
>Freaks out every time he rolls a natural 20
>Every time another player is doing something interesting or the plot is focusing on them insists that he's there or tries to insert himself into it in some way
>Frequently tries to insert his backstory into scenarios and character who aren't related to it
>Reasonably sure he's cheating and purposefully miscounting his spell slots, money, ammunition etc to give himself an advantage over the others

I've tried explaining to him that the game is about the group and not the individual and he seems to understand but then goes right back into his behavior. I don't want to kick him either as while I'm frustrated by him it's not so bad that I feel justified in kicking him. Furthermore I enjoy his company outside the game it's just in game that he acts like this. I know that he's still new to the game so I figure I can still wean him out of his misconceptions and shitty behavior regarding the game but how do I do this?
>>
>>55410146
I'd just tell him to shape up or ship out, and to stop being such an attention whore, but you like the guy and want his friendship.

My advice is let it pass. Treat him as what he is: a child with a new toy. Be firm, let him know that his actions are decreasing everybody elses' fun, but don't censure him too harshly and understand that his behavior will eventually wear off as he grows more experienced.
>>
>>55410180
>but you like the guy and want his friendship.
Well to clarify he's been a good friend of mine for years. And yeah I suppose I'll have to give your suggestion a go. It's just that it's been 6 sessions at this point and this is the sort of stuff that I thought would naturally stop around the 2nd once he saw what the game was actually like.
>>
>>55410791
Then you're going to have to put on your shrink hat and get to the bottom of WHY your friend is an attention whore. Resolve that issue and your problem will likely fade.
>>
>>55410146
Rape his face. Then pee in his butt.
>There, now you're the center of attention.
Kill a few of his characters if the above doesn't work. Keep him rerolling. He'll get the hint eventually.
>>
consider monitoring his spell slots. When he attempts to cheat point out that he should have that many slots and he might tone it down a bit.
>>
>>55411921
shouldn't *****
>>
>>55410791
>>55410791
Explain it all to him. Also make sure that he knows you're on his side. You like him, his character, what he does for the game, and really want him to continue playing. Just that there are certain things about the way he plays that are unusual, bad for the game, and indicate a possible misinterpretation of what the game is supposed to be like. And then non-commandingly offer clear alternatives on a case by case basis, explaining how it relates to what you've been saying about how the game should be played for everybody to get the best experience. And then move on, and don't dwell too long on these things in general, or he will become defensive, in which case you've lost him. Also make sure to appropriately positively reinforce good roleplaying with acknowledgment and compliments, to avoid defensiveness.
>>
>>55410146
>Undermines my DM authority and declares actions as though they've already happened
That's a dealbreaker. Otherwise I would have said, have him separated from the party during a fight and captured, put on public display so that he's still the center of attention, such as in court or on a gibbet, and let the rest of the group play the actual game.
>>
>>55410146
Jump onto the table and roar while beating your chest. If he doesn't answer your challenge proceed to pee on his seat to cement your authority and humiliate the coward. If he answers your challenge fight him. You win and he admits his defeat and lesser position, jump around the table and yell to announce your victory to potential competitors. If you lose then you don't deserve the attention he gets.
>>
>>55413071
what did you mean by this?
>>
>>55414037
Here, I put it into a simplifier for you:
>Jump onto the table and loud laugh while whipping your chest. If he doesn't answer your physical acts offer go on (forward) to pee on his seat to cement your authority and make shamed the person given to fear. If he answers your physical acts offer fight him. You come out on top in and he lets in his getting placed over and lesser position, jump around the table and cry loudly to say your coming out on top to possible unused quality competitors. If you not keep then you do not have qualities good enough for the attention he gets.
>>
>>55414176
While that's all well and good, will this get me a gf?
>>
>>55411318
thid
>>
>>55410146
1. Have his character separated from the group.
2. Make him fight a boss by himself.
3. Boss wrecks his shit
(If he's cheating, cheat right back. Impossible to beat checks, lie about rolls, shit like that.)
4.?????
5. Profit!
Remember anon, in this little fantasy world, you're God. And sometimes Gods gotta punish the unruly and wicked. Someone doesn't wanna be a team player? Fine, show him how tough it can be by yourself. Make him realize the value of teamwork. Make him beg for help from his teammates. It's not nice, but sometimes it's needed.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.