[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Truth? Or chicanery?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1273670070164.jpg (114KB, 585x770px) Image search: [Google]
1273670070164.jpg
114KB, 585x770px
Truth?

Or chicanery?
>>
>>55410035
>When dice conflict with the story, the story always wins
Then why even roll dice, dipshit
>>
>>55410035
Five is bullshit, but it's otherwise OK.
>>
>>55410035
Most of them are at least half right.
>>
>>55410035
I'm cool with all of them except #5. If I'm in the middle of my backstory arc and my character gets mollywhopped by a giant or something and dies due to a crit, that's just the end of her story. I'm not gonna make a stink about it; people die.
>>
>>55410035
I'd change it to "When rules conflict with the story, the story always wins"
Dice rolls always need to be unfucked with. But if an absolutely retarded rule is going to mess something up then by all means Rule 0 that away.
>>
>>55410035
Worse than chicanery, it's casuistry.
What's the point of rules or anything else when it can be so easily tossed aside? I'm all for drawing outside the box but without the box there's nothing to draw outside of
>>
Sorry but dice rolls need to be scared . Creative gming can avoid any conflicts anyway
>>
>>55410035
Why even have a system? Just jerk off and scream imagination for three hours every week and you'll have the same effect as any game that follows those rules.
>>
5 is the only debatable one. I say the point of dice is to take the story into different directions that neither the players or DM expected.
>>
>>55411388
Just imagine the box, man, it's all about the fun. Don't be problematic like those...min-maxers.
>>
>>55412271
>dice rolls need to be scared
True. Dice must know I'll toss them into the furnace if they fail me enough.
>>
>>55410035
The ideas are fine, if debatable. The font is fucking horrendous.
>>
>>55410035
1 is correct.
2 is correct.
3 has the right spirit, but I'd change it to a less snappy "you'll probably be able to do it as long as it makes some sense, but check with your GM to be sure."
4 depends on the context, but in a private setting is correct.
5 is dumb as fuck. It's a roleplaying game, not a storytelling get-together.
6 is partially correct, assuming that there's a problem to begin with. I've played with min-maxers who didn't cause any problems at all. Also some systems simply encourage min-maxing far more than others. D&D is the classic example, with all their circlejerking about system mastery and trap options they actively teach players to min-max.
7 is mostly correct, though of course it should be within reason. The GM always has a responsibility towards their players and cannot just do whatever they want to do. In addition to this is the oft-overlooked fact that the GM has a responsibility towards the -system- they're running. Sure you can houserule the fuck out of everything, but a system, no matter how houseruled and/or rules-light it is, needs to be consistent and not subservient to the GM's whims. Otherwise why use a system at all?
8 is correct. This is also where the limitations of #7 come into play.
9 is (probably intentionally) dumb.
10 is true, though the caveats like with #7 still apply.
>>
I find it kind of hilarious there's a rpg manifesto scoffing rules by a company that imploded from massive financial fraud.
>>
>>55410058
>>55410059
>>55410151
You guys didn't get it, did you?
>>
>>55417726
/tg/ is infested with autists, what did you expect?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.