[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wild Cards: Sons of the Gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Wild Cards- Sons of the Gun.pdf (404KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Wild Cards- Sons of the Gun.pdf
404KB, 1x1px
Howdy folks!

After posting my WIP mechanics for Wild Cards: Sons of the Gun earlier this week, I managed to get a quick playtest in with some friends of mine. It was only three people, but I got a decent bit of feedback from them, which was implemented.

The primary concern from the players was that the game played too much like "War." That was originally the plan, but I wanted to address the complaint and added some basic rules - namely the playing of the first card from the Dealer and each 'Slinger face down, which adds some mystery and the ability to bluff, making the game a little more social.

Other than that, they enjoyed the fairly fast pace of the game, although my own organizational skills left something to be desired. But that's on me, not necessarily the mechanics.

As the Dealer I noticed that I was outgunned by my 'Slingers. My piles were generated by complete randomness and happenstance, while the 'Slingers got some strategy. They could play more cards and pick their cards while I was left with whatever my deck saw fit to spit up. To change this up, I've decided that the Dealer will play one Pile, and each 'Slinger will have to defeat that Pile's "Challenge Value" (the sum total of all cards in the Dealer's play pile) on their own to pass the Challenge. If one 'Slinger passes and the others fail, well that's unfortunate for them.

>cont'd
>>
>>55406782

I also added rules for the Dealer to decide on the difficulty of the Challenge, which can result in him being allowed to start with and play more cards, depending on how tough it's supposed to be.

Tricks were finally written out, with the suggestion from a friend to base them off of Poker hands and generally try to keep them active (rather than passive benefits) to add a level of tactical play to the game, which should satisfy the player who found the "War" playstyle a little lacking.

The Cards originally had four abilities, one for Jack, Queen, King, and Ace, with the JQK abilities basically being scaled up versions of one another (J < Q < K) and the Ace being unique. That's been simplified to JQK sharing the same ability, since their probabilities of showing up are equal, and the Ace ability being unique to each Card.

Anyway, I'm planning on running a second test with the updated rules next week, but I was hoping to get some feedback from /tg/ beforehand. Also WildCards General I suppose. With more brains, maybe we can get this game finished.

Next big project is gonna be finishing up the Cards.
>>
Why not give the dealer a hand? Can't be fun as the dealer to just constantly top deck the whole game.

Could consider giving the dealer a few abilities like the slingers get.
>>
>>55406898

That's definitely a possibility. Originally the idea was to keep the Dealer mechanically impartial so he can focus on directing the story, but that doesn't seem all that necessary.

Maybe I'll have the Dealer draw cards each Play equal to the number of 'Slinger's plus one, so that way the longer the Challenge goes on, the more options the Dealer has, forcing the 'Slingers to try to snatch fast wins or get overwhelmed.

The Dealer does get abilities with the Jack, Queen, King, Ace, and Joker, which were added after the play test.

>Jack: Each 'Slinger discards a card from their hand.
>Queen: Each 'Slinger skips their next Reload.
>King: The Dealer removes the lowest Ranking Card from each 'Slinger's Pile.
>Ace: Dealer gets an extra Play.
>Joker: The Dealer can discard one 'Slinger's Pile, effectively forcing them to restart.
>>
>>55406782
So litterally what I said last thread? Intresting.

Grit is still fairly pointless as it is always less then gm. It might be fun if you are trying to build a poker hand...
>>
gonna bump, maybe some write-fag will return for the as yet un-storied cards...
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.