[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fiction First

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: comfytavern.jpg (376KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
comfytavern.jpg
376KB, 1920x1080px
I've heard the phrase thrown around a lot and I think I understand what it means, but is there a good explanation floating around somewhere? This seems like one of those terms that got introduced in an indie-game and everyone quoted it from there, but I'm not sure what game that was. Is there a proper writeup somewhere or is this just a nebulous notion floating around in roleplaying's collective culture?
>>
Looks like a completely trash phrase started by an isolated group. They kept using it solely to circle-jerk each other. That way they can feel like they are changing the world. When it broke out of their circle-jerk they just said it without the context it was originally used in. Dumbasses thought it sounded smart and then copied it with their assumption of what it meant.
>>
>>55402735
It just means that you shouldn't ignore the fluff. That's literally it. Don't over think it.
>>
>>55402735
>I've heard the phrase thrown around a lot

I have never heard this phrase ever.
>>
>>55402735
The way I've always heard it explained is
>it means what's going on in the fictional world is more important than the rules, so if the rules don't make sense for the world, waive them
which seems like a no-brainer to me, but apparently that makes me some kind of savant to the indie RPG scene.
>>
>>55402735
>I've heard the phrase thrown around a lot

First time I've heard of it. I can't infer its meaning, either, without some context I guess.
>>
>>55402812
It sound more like a basic gaming philosophy where enjoyment takes priority over the rules.
>>
Basically >>55402833

It means that game-rules are meant to back up the lore instead of contradicting it. Where conflict exists between the two, you want to prioritize options which best respect the lore.

Also, it has something to do with one's approach to roleplaying. You want to first determine and describe what is happening in the game-world, then find the rules (if any) which most accurately represent that situation.
>>
>>55402735
For me, I've only seen it in PbtA games, and it's usually used there to require players to be more descriptive in their actions.

Thomas can't just say 'I take the gun from Beth'. He should explain how he takes it. 'I cross the room, grab the barrel, and yank the gun out of her hands." (Let's ignore that Tom is probably getting shot here.) I assume this is to make for better role play, but it also makes the GMs job easier because he has a more clear idea what move to use.
>>
>>55402888

No, it's two words that have no meaning without context.
>>
>>55403267
Wouldn't the context be "within a discussion about roleplaying?"

>>55402735
As near as I've been able to tell, fiction first refers to the way in which the GM and players interact with the game. As a player, you describe what you're doing in fictional terms rather than mechanical ones. E.g., you would never say "I want to make a persuade check." You would just start persuading and roll if it is called for.
>>
>>55403267
Why the need to be contrarian? It's not a crime to discuss RPGs with terms like these
>>
>>55403072
>I assume this is to make for better role play, but it also makes the GMs job easier because he has a more clear idea what move to use.

It helps the whole group because they have a clearer, more-consistent idea of what is happening in the game universe.

A better example would be between Tom saying "I use the fighting-disarm maneuver targeting Beth's gun", and him saying "I dodge to the side, knifing Beth's hand and taking her weapon as she recoils".
>>
File: 1412292498371.gif (3MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1412292498371.gif
3MB, 250x141px
>>55402858
"Fiction first" is a an rpg-hipster catchphrase made pop by proponents of games like PbtA and Fate.
Most of the time it's just a snowflake-detector.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.