[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if instead of perma-death, the players could be revived

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

What if instead of perma-death, the players could be revived using some kind of cloning technology
>however
Each time they are revived/cloned they receive a bad defect, like frail bones or thin blood.
>Same fear of death due to mutations
>Not as penalizing
Whaddya think?
>>
>>55395123
I do this in a homebrew game set in a fantasy Ohio. It's fun but it's for a tongue in cheek game. I'm not convinced it would be fun for long term games that are more serious.
>>
Sounds like a slippery slope
>>
>>55398040
...slippery slope to what? Do you even know what that phrase means?
>>
>>55398040
Whad tid he mean by this?
>>
>>55395123
Sounds very Grineerish. A race of former slaves turned opressive empire of faulty clones on faulty clones. Their shortcomings are offset by cybernetics.
>>
>>55395123
You just described Paranoia
>>
>>55398085
>>55398207
Not him, but I thought it was pretty obvious.
Death spiral.
Vicious circle.
You die once, you get increasingly likely to die again and again until you're just playing as a worthless pile of shit, while the guy who got lucky and never died is still at full power.
>>
>>55395123
>the players could be revived
I'd like that. I'd want him to be alive again.
>>
File: Floran_Respawn[1].gif (76KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
Floran_Respawn[1].gif
76KB, 120x120px
I love any game that allow you to slowly turn into a Cthulhu thing. Forgot the name of it but I used to play a Nethack-like where you slowly mutate overtime from something, believe it was eating bad food or monsters or something like that. Sometimes it was for the better but often it was neutral (you grew a useless tail, you grew an extra finger, etc) or for the worst.

>>55398276
On tabletop games you have an option call running away or even talking things out unlike video games. I rarely ever see anybody getting "stuck" on a game for good reason, generally they do it to themselves out of stubbornness. Like unless you play a character who trait is that they never run away from battle then most people would have the common sense to plan for the next time they try to fight that giant three headed dragon in that cave if at all. Even the battle hungry character after the 3rd or 4th comical death might decide to do a "tactical retreat" with the goal to become strong enough to kill whatever it was. Like if you somehow force it to limit yourself more than perma death then it sound like the fault of the player and not the game.
>>
>>55398344
Well put.
Adding to this, with revival being an option you can simply opt out. OP said "could be revived", it's not a forced occurrence, meaning that once the mutations end up too severe (severity threshold depends on the player, or could even be capped by the system used) you could just tell your party members not to revive you again.

>>55398276
>you're just playing as a worthless pile of shit, while the guy who got lucky and never died is still at full power.
Same would happen if a permadeath system was used and you'd have to start over as a new, lower skilled character than your dead one. Increasingly likely to die again and again until you're playing a fresh level 1 useless character while the guy who got lucky and never died is still at full power.
>>
>>55398442
How about rerolling as a character of the same level as your old one, like literally everyone does?
>>
>>55398442
Starting over from Level 1 everytime you die is shitty. It just encourages people to never go out of their way to take risks while also encouraging them to take advantage of the most dominant strategy to win most encounters.

That's why it's more preferable to just let people start off at the same level as everyone else, barring specific circumstances like resurrection or shit like this.
>>
File: Geneticist.png (4KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
Geneticist.png
4KB, 32x32px
>>55395123
what do you mean with "what if"?
>>
>>55400751
This guy gets it. Nerfing a player on death is rarely going to end well.

Instead...
>>55395123
What if every death brought the PC's enemies closer to discovering (and finally destroying) the cloning technology?
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>55395123
>players
>No one makes the pc not players joke

sad sad day.
>>
>>55401090

Make your own damn jokes. Don't blame other people for your failure to act.
>>
>>55395123
Could work. As long as you think through the consequences of that resurrection tech existing in the setting.

Mainly that it's not going to be limited to the PCs. There will be NPCs who have access to it. Including NPCs the PCs want dead.
>>
>>55395123
Why do the players need to have a fear of death ?

What kind of penalties do trans-humanist settings/systems impose on characters for dying and being revived in a new body ?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.