[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soulsborne mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: Pre-Praising Warmups.gif (185KB, 200x310px) Image search: [Google]
Pre-Praising Warmups.gif
185KB, 200x310px
/tg/ loves to talk about adapting Dark Souls or Bloodborne to an RPG, but I have a serious question on that front: if you were planning a Souls-esq RPG or campaign, how would you want to handle everything that's NOT the combat?

Videogames can just be walking around and combat with little in between, but tabletop RPG players will expect more. Interacting with NPCs and the environment, having skills other than blasting or stabbing. Because there is more than enough inspiration for the combat, and very little for everything else.

How would you approach that?
>>
File: Soulhunters.pdf (126KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Soulhunters.pdf
126KB, 1x1px
>>55393052

This may interest you.
>>
>>55393319

Yeah, that relevant. Specifically because it just sort of shrugs and waves its hand and says 'don't worry about it'.
>>
>>55393052
>Because there is more than enough inspiration for the combat, and very little for everything else.

Isn't that kind of the point, at least in DS1? That there's very minimal story up front, but you can seek out NPCs and learn more through interacting with them. Things change and they come and go and change dialogue depending on what decisions you make and there's a lot of implied story.

Why not try to capture that feel? Encourage players to seek out other people and interact with them. Or, they can just kill shit and be very confused later on.
>>
>>55393431

I don't feel like, in a tabletop game, you as a GM really get to say 'well, you didn't do [THING] in session 4 so I didn't feel the need to tell you the plot of the game, and you never picked up the [BLANK] so you can't get into the final level. Sorry, GG.'

That sort of impartial button and lever machine is acceptable in a static machine, but not in a flesh and blood human running your game. Players are going to expect you to be more flexible than that.
>>
>>55393487
Okay, I see your point. However, you can still be flexible. The core of your game, the "main story line" isn't locked behind an obscure item you get from saving a particular npc in the second area. Side story and sidequests would be avaliable/unavailable with stuff like that. Also, the games lock that stuff permanently, but you don't have to. You didn't level your pyromancy flame to +25 before getting to Blighttown and speaking to the next merchant in an obscure part of the map? Where the game goes, "Heh, sucks to be you then.", a GM can say, "That's fine, she's just in another area doing something different." Players still have the opportunity to find her. And that's where you can be different while still keeping the tone.
>>
File: KNIGHT FIGHT.jpg (418KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
KNIGHT FIGHT.jpg
418KB, 1000x562px
I think its best if you keep things simple, and the out of combat stuff is more focused on the journey. Make combat be about the usual fare, and everything else being exploration and figuring out this lost civilization you are trapped in the ashes of.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.