[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A system for fighting big things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1505169582984.jpg (939KB, 960x1311px) Image search: [Google]
1505169582984.jpg
939KB, 960x1311px
So I want to run a game where the players sometimes fight big things. Ever seen the movie "Trollhunter", where there are creatures ranging between human size and the size of an apartment building? Something like that. And I'd like it to be handled better than "The giant just has tons of HP and hits hard." As in there being some sort of system based around fighting something many times bigger than you where that size difference matters.
>>
>>55392845
GURPS
glorious GURPS is your answer.
>>
>>55392845
I've heard that mouse guard has a good system for that. Haven't had a chance to play it so I guess take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>55392845
On the off chance you havnt made this thread before, Ill give you my spiel on fighting big stuff.

Basically, in any system you can divide the fight into two parts: the trick and the kick. The trick is a series of actions taken to distract or disable the monster so that the other party members can deliver the kick: a blow to its vital areas. That sort of a format works in nearly all systems, but it requires creative players and leg work from the GM.
>>
>>55392845
Monsters and Other Childish Things has a pretty simple setup that works alright. For fairly close scales, the smaller character gets
>more precision
>better defenses (in terms of dodging)
>faster reactions
while the larger character gets
>more armor
>better damage
>damage "splashes" into hit locations other than the one hit
For really big differences, it gives some rules for turning the bits of the creature into environmental hazards. It's not very complex, and it gets wonky if you have more than 2 scales in a fight, but it works alright for most cases.
>>
>>55394451
>For really big differences, it gives some rules for turning the bits of the creature into environmental hazards
This is how I prefer to run these kinds of encounters, turn the creature into a moving set of obstacles bundled together
>>
>>55392845
I think I personally would let the players climb big enemies to reach and attack vital parts.
Like in Shadow of the Colossus or Dragons Dogma.
System of choice for me would be The Riddle of Steel / Song of Swords, since they already have wound table for different hit locations, you could use and expand as needed.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 280x180px
Maybe rip off the AoT game?
>>
>>55393956
He want to fight with bigger things not cakewalk
>>
>>55392845
I used to split large d&d monsters into segments that act individually and have their own separate HP pools. Main idea was to eliminate HP bloat by splitting it up, but also to allow damage dealers to cripple monsters by destroying their parts. On a plus side, it made 'boss battles' a nit more tactical by letting players know where each monster attack is on the initiative track.
>>
>>55399112
Instead of "dragon" x1 you throw at party "dragon wing (pair)" x1, "dragon paw" x4, "dragon tail" x1, "dragon head" x1, "dragon ass" x1, each with own initiative, AC, attack and HP, correct?
>>
>>55401682
Not quite in those words, but yeah.
>>
>>55401682
>>55402289
>>55399112
I kind of just ballpark it, but that's how I run these sorts of encounters. A high-AC low-HP target for the eyes is the main one I bother with.

The idea of putting a boss' attacks on the initiative tracker is interesting. Similar to the d&d idea of 'legendary actions' except the players are able to build a strategy around them.
>>
>>55392845
That fucking picture. The plucky polish underdog and his Lithuanian allies (not pictured) valiantly prevailed against the brutish Teutonic Knights. Poland's only advantage, an army that grossly outnumbered the Teutonic Knights, including more knights than the entire order. Although, the Teutonic Order was technically the defender in this battle, the fact that they were forced to become a vassal of the polish king after his massive army easily curbstomped them retroactively makes this invasion a defensive war of survival according to polish time, the truest, most Christian way of reckoning time. *Hikes rent on Ukrainian tenant farmers.*
>>
>>55405110
co ty jest, kurwa?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.