[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Negima! RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: Cosmo_Entelecheia_(maintenant).jpg (168KB, 728x1064px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmo_Entelecheia_(maintenant).jpg
168KB, 728x1064px
Hey /tg/, a buddy of mine and I have started working on a homebrew system to emulate the magic and world of Negima!
My question to those who might be interested in this kind of deal is this: what kind of features and mechanics would you like to see in a system like this?
I want to implement a fate-point-like mechanic, that allows players to manipulate events in their favor, which get replenished when the player roleplays the character's "guiding virtue" (see pactio cards) exceptionally well.
At its heart, I want it to be something with a fairly in-depth system, but one that supports and encourages role-play.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

I will for the most part be ignoring a lot of the material introduced in UQ Holder since the entire structure of how magic worked seemed to get thrown out the window there.
>>
File: 9b53c861813c77c42def3b66d1772662.jpg (456KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
9b53c861813c77c42def3b66d1772662.jpg
456KB, 1024x768px
I'm still trying to decide what the dice system and stats should be. For stats I'm thinking something along the lines of a 3x3, like WoD, divided between Body, Mind, and Spirit, one each of Power, Finesse, and Resilience. If I do that, though, I don't want to wholesale steal the dice system from WoD as well. Maybe have each stat from 1 to 10, with the dice rolled dependent on the stat.
I'm honestly just thinking this up as I type it. It helps me think, I suppose.
So for stats: (Strength, Deftness, Toughness)(Intellect, Reasoning, Focus)(Personality, Creativity, Willpower). Do these sound alright?
>>
>>55389002
Use Risus(evens-up)

Keep in mind that it is just a baseline system, so add stuff as you need to.
>>
File: AlbireoTower5.png (2MB, 1838x959px) Image search: [Google]
AlbireoTower5.png
2MB, 1838x959px
>>55389760
I've not heard of Risus, but I'll look into it, thanks for the recommendation.
>>
Should I have a variant system for the Neo-Pactios from the Shaft series? They seem fun, especially for less serious/more slapstick games, which is one tone I intend for the system to support.

Is anyone other than Risus-aniki even interested?
>>
>>55389715
How does any of this support your goals for the system?
>>
>>55391804
At this point I'm mostly spitballing, bouncing ideas around until I find something that sounds right. Apologies for making a thread when I've got next to nothing set. to be fair, there's not much you can do with basic stats and dice system in terms of supporting and encouraging roleplay.

I also just remembered that Tenra Bansho Zero had the Scene judge thing, where players who aren't currently in the Scene can award extra points for exceptional roleplaying. I might implement a similar mechanic.
>>
>>55392804
The Frankenstein method of game design rarely yields good results. Sure, you'll probably be able to shout "It's alive!" at some point, but it's still just going to be a shambling mess of mismatched parts.

You need a strong concept to build your game around, and no, just naming a manga as inspiration does not constitute a strong concept, unless you can define what exactly that inspiration means to you and for the game you're trying to make.
>>
>>55389002

Try Maid before.

No, seriously.
>>
File: Yue_Ayase.png (107KB, 324x250px) Image search: [Google]
Yue_Ayase.png
107KB, 324x250px
>>55392912
Even if the end result turns out to be a monstrosity that would be nothing more than an embarassment were I to share it here on /tg/ (which is one of my goals for the project), at the very least we can say that we made something, even if it just ends up being an exercise in game design.
But you do bring up some good game design points that I'll definitely take to heart, thank you.
>>
File: IMG_1202.png (1MB, 1104x858px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1202.png
1MB, 1104x858px
>>55389002
What happened to Negi's mom?
>>
>>55393378
Dead? Retconned out of existence? Forgotten about in the rush to prevent editorial takeover? The world may never know.
>>
>>55392912
How dare you insult the Great Old One Master Gygax.
>>
File: kiss the starve.jpg (250KB, 700x495px) Image search: [Google]
kiss the starve.jpg
250KB, 700x495px
>>55389002
the players have to kiss irl to get pactios
>>
>>55395239
What.
>>
>>55393260
You can duct tape a bunch of sticks at odd angles together and say you've made something, but that doesn't mean much, unless you can sell it as "abstract art".
If you want to make it an exercise in game design, you have to really think about the how and why.
>>
I forget how magic works in negima/UQ.
Is it genetic?
>>
>>55399149
Not particularly. As far as I can tell, most anyone who has been exposed to magic and has been taught some magic is able to use it in some small capacity at the very least, though the children of mages show more propensity/learn it easier, but not always. Yuuna's dad was a mage teacher, and she picked it up really quick, but Touta has both Springfield and Konoe heritage, both of which are powerful magical bloodlines, and he never managed even the simpler magic, even after getting turned into a vampire. On the other hand, Yue and Makie both learned a bunch of magic, with Yue getting fairly masterful, and neither of them have any stated magical heritage.

It appears that magic usually needs some kind of focus, but each mage isn't limited to a single unique focus. Negi has used basic wands, his father's staff, and the ring he got from Evangeline as different foci. Eastern mages seems to use paper charms and talismans to activate their spells, and have summons to protect them rather than partners, except it seems that Eastern mages can form Pactios as well.
>>
>>55400602
>Touta has both Springfield and Konoe heritage, both of which are powerful magical bloodlines, and he never managed even the simpler magic, even after getting turned into a vampire.
Touta isn't bad at learning magic. His energies are just so scrambled that even when he tries using external devices to cast spells for him, they explode. Because he's a failed clone created from the DNA of Negi and Asuna - he was meant to have both Magia Erebea and Magic Cancel abilities for use as a weapon against the Lifemaker, but they cancelled each other out.
>>
>>55403075
Well shit. Guess I need to catch up on Holder.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.