[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When two countries fight and one of them loses, what are some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: German_instrument_of_surrender2.jpg (168KB, 800x607px) Image search: [Google]
German_instrument_of_surrender2.jpg
168KB, 800x607px
When two countries fight and one of them loses, what are some common terms the winner can force upon the loser?
>>
>>55386690
Tribute paid to the winners. (War crime reparations, imbalanced trade concessions, foreign aid to rebuild destroyed cities, et cetera.)

Limits on loser's military strength. (Can run from some allowed ala-post WW1 Germany, to none allowed ala-post ww2 Japan.)

Territorial concessions. (Everything from forced recognition of pre-war borders claimed by winning country ala-The Falklands War, to massive concession of previously held territory to the winner ala-The Mexican-American War)
>>
>>55388677
Thanks.
>>
Passing of domestic laws in loser territory. Outlawing certain religions is a common one.

Installation of foreign politicians into loser's government.

Ransom/release of prisoners on both sides. Countries frequently barter for trade of captives during war, and it's much easier during peace.

Establish territory for the winner inside the loser's bounds. Embassies or DMZ.

Altering the court systems to rely on judges favorable to the winner's policies.
>>
>>55386690
1/6 of their gdp plus 1/6 of their land.
>>
>>55386690
"Countries" how? Like modern day? Middle ages? Ancient times? There's a lot of common stuff, but I doubt we'll see anyone straight up taking some of the loser's royal family as hostages any time soon again.
>>
>>55386690

Literally anything they fucking want.

That's kind of why war is a big deal. The winner can do whatever the fuck it wants with the loser.
>>
>>55390612
Not really, because if they are too harsh the loser can say fuck it and fight until the last resource.
>>
>>55386690
Why create a thread for this? Are you really that uncreative?
>Tribute
>Slavery
>Client-status
>Occupation
>Disarmament
>Giving up old ways
>Holding royal family to ransom
>Ceding territory
>Ceding military assets
>Genocide
>Dissolution of organizations
>Abandonment of military outposts, border settlements, or cities.
>Changes in policy including tariffs, taxes, religious freedom etc.

You really didnt need to make a thread for this. Stop eating deodorant and lead-based paint flakes and read a book!
>>
>>55390777
>Genocide
Did you smoke something? How do you put genocide in a peace treaty?
>>
>>55390818
Genocide of a specific group. Not everybody in the country.
>>
>>55386690
Public works of art, Im sure countries in the past did acquire plenty of stuff that was of the loser's government and became the property of the victor (Besides land and industry). Chile, for example, still has 2 statues that were taken from Peru and they were planted in the center of the capital, also the Peruvian library was ransacked and to this day you can still find books that have the stamp of the Peruvian government. I believe they returned a bunch of them years ago but they still have books that were taken from Lima.
>>
>>55390846
"Okay mr. king, now that we win we want to kill all gypsies."

Please tell me one time this happened in story. Even the holocaust on Poland wasn't on the peace treaty.
>>
>>55390946
Yeah, but in a fantasy novel where races are immutable and unchanging I can see it being a thing. Considering how long nations of one imagined microethnicity hold grudges against those of another imagined microethnicity I can see it being realistic that SOMEBODY would hold a big enough grudge, to, say, oust all elves or something.
>>
>>55390946
You say that like you wouldnt. Hell, Id love somebody to give me an excuse to oust gypsies.
>>
Major supression/control of information to the defeated citizens, kangaroo courts to murder former officials on trumped up "war crimes", trading POWs away to work at gulags thousands of miles away, puppet governments.

Depends on how harsh the victor wants to be, really. It's kinda sad how vicious people can be post war.

>Winner occupies loser's state and demands some level of tribute for the loser fucking their shit
>But assists in rebuilding the loser's state as well as their own
>Ultimately ends up handing control back to them with the warning of "You don't want to see us come back"

It'll never happen, but a man can have nice dreams.
>>
>>55391066
>>Winner occupies loser's state and demands some level of tribute for the loser fucking their shit
>>But assists in rebuilding the loser's state as well as their own
>>Ultimately ends up handing control back to them with the warning of "You don't want to see us come back"
You mean Japan?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.