[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Overrated Settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 13

File: OA.png (871KB, 1439x811px) Image search: [Google]
OA.png
871KB, 1439x811px
Starting the thread with the most obvious one.
>>
>>55382983
I have no idea what this is, and the most overrated setting is Warhammer 40,000, so you've failed on two accounts, anon.
>>
File: IMG_0699.jpg (58KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0699.jpg
58KB, 500x800px
>>
>>55383022
This. I don't understand how can this even be a thing.
>>
>>55383022
Whats that?
>>
>>55383082
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_(web_serial)

It is like bad fanfiction that is somehow popular.
>>
>>55383022
spbp

Worm is highly overrated.
>>
File: IMG_0543.png (4KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0543.png
4KB, 493x402px
>>55383022
I disagree.

It was pretty gud.
>>
>>55383141

What is bad about the story?
>>
File: IMG_0404.jpg (198KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0404.jpg
198KB, 774x1032px
>>55383022
>>55383185
4chan just dislikes everything out of it's autistic desire for promoting absolute contrarianism. Worm is excellent. Kino even for the first half but goes into a vague slump in the middle before going back up to great.

Also there is the whole ongoing spat/skirmish about whether worm is actually a postsable subject matter in /tg/ due to it having an RPG made in it's name/being a setting to discuss vs it actually being /co/apesh/lit/.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18713259-worm
>>
File: 1200px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png (57KB, 1200x724px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png
57KB, 1200x724px
>>55382983
Growing up in non-English speaking country, it was quite a shock when i realized that this forgettable garbage have an extensive dedicated fanbase.
>>
>>55383293

/pol/ wouldn't like worm because the main character (who is female and white) has sex with a black man.
>>
>>55383358
>Star Wars has no dedicated fan base outside English-speaking countries.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how deluded are you?
>>
>>55382983

Is this setting even rated?
>>
>>55382983
>"start with the most overrated"
> doesnt start with 40keks
> such failure
>>
>>55383358
What third world shitpile do you live in?
>>
>>55382983
Is this a lame attempt at advertisment?
>>
>>55383022
It's slightly overrated as a story. It's nowhere near bad, but it gets much more praise that it deserves (and this is coming from someone who actually likes Worm).
As a setting, however, Worm is fucking great. It is a perfect representation of how society would look with superhumans, and works around or explains all the usual cliches/tropes that superhero settings have. It's only weakness as a setting is the Entities.

>>55383293
>before going back up the great
And then fucking up the ending.

>>55383364
/pol/ would love Worm because the Fascists are interesting, compelling, and relatable characters. They're the most relatable villains in the story, main characters not withstanding.
>>
>>55382983

Eclipse Phase

A shitty knockoff of Transhuman Space where they added shitty political garbage and cartoonish psychic powers. Oh, and a crap system.
>>
File: download.png (6KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6KB, 224x225px
>>55383022
>>
>>55383293
Go to Spacebattles and tell me it's not overrated.
>>
>>55383479
Spacebattles isn't the way it is because Worm is a good story. It's that way because Worm is a phenomenal setting.
>>
>>55383492
>a phenomenal setting.
Grimdark is garbage.
>>
>>55383522
It is, but that's easy to change, especially for fanfiction. The rest of the setting though? That's flawless.
>>
>>55383368
>extensive
>extensive
Sure as fuck not here. it is a household name, alongside with Die Hard / Lethal Weapon / Judge Dread and other stuff from back then. But no one would seriously go around calling himself "A fan of Star Wars" in any other sense than "I watched the movies a few times, it's pretty cool"
Knowing anything at all about expanded universe if pretty rare. What would be considered star wars fandom in the west is obscure as fuck.

>It's ameritards/eurocentrists meet the world episode
>>
>>55383540
>That's flawless.
>proving >>55383022's point this hard
>>
>>55383581
I meant flawless in an actual sense. As in, it has no flaws. It does exactly what it sets out to do, and it does it without issue.
>>
>>55383628
You could say that about pretty much anything.
>>
>>55383574
>/eurocentrists
>west
You're the one who started with "non-English speaking country" m8. Last I checked, English-speaking European countries are a tiny minority. Should've just started with "western countries" right away you subhuman.
>>
>>55383644
Firstly, that's debatable. Most settings are flawed, at least a little.

Secondly, so?
>>
>>55383701
So your statement has zero substance, dummy.
>>
File: 1200px-Type-moon.svg.png (60KB, 1200x920px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Type-moon.svg.png
60KB, 1200x920px
>>
File: Anglospeak(800px)Countries.png (76KB, 600x263px) Image search: [Google]
Anglospeak(800px)Countries.png
76KB, 600x263px
>>55383684
Are you actually fucking retarded or just pretending? What are you even talking about? Do i have to post a map saying HEY I'M FROM ONE OF THE GREY COUNTRIES and Star Wars isn't a big deal here. Just so you dumb shit won't get tangled in your own retardation?
>>
>>55383733
Then allow me to reiterate myself.

With the exception of the grimdark/cosmology, Worm is a phenominal setting. It is without flaw, unlike many other settings. It attempts to make a superhero setting that logical and internally consistent, and it does this better than any other setting's attempt to do this. For all of these reasons, Worm (as a setting) is not overrated, and deserves all the praise it gets.
>>
>>55383819
>with the exception of these flaws, this setting is without flaw
>>
>>55383829
Yes, and those flaws don't matter to the broader argument. You're saying that worm is overrated because it's grimdark, and I'm saying that Worm doesn't receive praise because it's grimdark; it receives praise for literally everything else in its setting. This is why it has a mountain of fanficiton, all of it much less grimdark than the original.
>>
>>55383819
>Worm (as a setting) is not overrated
It's just Aberrant but edgier you fruitcake, stop sucking its dick.
>>
>>55383749
Not any of the original anons but you claimed anyone who isn't from an English speaking country is a eurocentrist or is an ameritard. Look at your own map and locate a country that isn't the UK & Ireland that speaks English is Europe.

Or better yet, instead of being nebulous, vague and constantly moving your own goalposts why don't you tell us what country you're actually from.
>>
>>55383745
It used to be good. It used to be a world of simple rules that was used to tell a series of nice stories where you didn't have to think too hard and the self-contained setting and lack of in-depth details of said stories contained any questions regarding how dumb the world actually was.

And then they told too many fucking stories and broke their own world under the weight of how fucking terrible and nonsensical the stories became.

It was like Heretics of Dune. It was too much.
>>
>>55383968
Well, the nasuverse has never been self-contained, Nasu; the writer has written several unpublished works in the same setting all all interacted with his published works reference, the only reason why you think it lacked depth or was simple was because you were probably introduced to Type-moon from Fate/Zero.

You aren't wrong that it because nonsensical and terrible though, but it was always nonsensical and terrible from the very beginning.
>>
>>55383914
>You claimed anyone who isn't from an English speaking country is a eurocentrist or is an ameritard
What? No i didn't. Anyone who automatically assumes that any country on earth have a dedicated SW fanbase (Large enough to talk about), just because his own (Western) country have one - is probably one of those 2 things.
I'm from Kazakhstan.
>>
>>55383185
It starts off as reasonably well-written street level supers, then becomes badly written cosmic horror.
>>
>>55383442
E88 is hilariously hypocritical, though. Not just in the fact that they're the city's largest criminal syndicate, but in the fact that Worm is a setting where their beliefs are true - there is one particular group proven to commit a disproportionate amount of crime. And they're part of that group.
>>
>>55384084

The cosmic horror part was heavily foreshadowed.
>>
>>55382983
That's the most underrated series I'm aware of, mostly because I just became aware of it, so no matter how shit it is it's still technically infinitely underrated.
>>
>>55384205
The fact that I can smell the shit sundae from the dining room doesn't mean you're not going to serve me a shit sundae for desert. It just means the rest of the meal is going to be colored by my knowledge of that fact.
>>
>>55384215
Same.
>>
>>55382993
>Not Star Wars
I mean, you're right, I like 40k and even I can admit that there's a lot wrong with it, but seriously Star Wars is just fucking stupid.
>>
>>55384084

What were the issues with that part?
>>
File: ships.jpg (333KB, 1458x1098px) Image search: [Google]
ships.jpg
333KB, 1458x1098px
>>55382983
I would say its underrated. Nobody knows about Orion's Arm.
Personally I think, Orion's Arm has great concepts but is in general a mess. A good source for inspirations but not a good setting.

I would give it a 6/10. 10/10 for the ideas though.
>>
>>55383903
I would say it's just aberrant but straighter deesu
>>
>>55382983
It is not overrated. It is badly known to people and is somewhat original in concepts. Most writers chicken out to add transhumans and megastructures.
>>
>>55383022
I disagree.
It IS overrated in a lot of ways, but not in it's setting.
>>
Dune

It's overrated everything, really.
>>
>>55383160
Overrated doesn't mean bad. It's an enjoyable story but nowhere near the second coming of Watchmen everyone hypes it up to be.
>>
>>55383745
You know, the Saber Wars shit in FGO was some serious uncanny valey of intent. You just couldn't tell if the poet was trying to say "look at how many seibas we got hahaha I wish I was at home doing barrel rolls around a big guy with a big sword", or "oh god my child is a zombie that people are taking turns raping I think this is what George Lucas would feel like if he had conscience because the company the two of us had created as kids has turned into literally lucas arts please fire me please end my misery tsukihime remake doesn't even exist what you've seen four years ago are all the assets of it that exist just the sprites and the one track plese kill me."
>>
>>55382993
fpbp
>>
>>55384140
Wasn't it established at some point that Kaiser wasn't really a true believer, as far as that whole white supremacy thing went? IIRC, he just thought of that ideology as a banner he could rally people under. He was more interested in power rather than about championing a cause.
>>
>>55382993
>not Pokemon
>not Star Wars
>not LotR
>not GoT
>not Destiny
>not [insert major flavor-of-the-year shounen anime]

Maybe among fa/tg/uys, but overall, there are much more known - and overrated settings.
>>
>>55388082
Don't forget Warcraft.
>>
>>55388043
No idea. I think that might either be someone's hypothesis in-story, but I don't remember it being confirmed by the time of his death.
>>
>>55383022

The story has many flaws, but it's an excellent superhero setting. Trigger events encourage the development of a character with some personality, and the world supports everything from gritty street-level to Justice League-tier quite well, on both sides of the fence too. Bit too much on the dark side, but that's easy enough to tweak.
>>
>>55388401
Went to the wiki to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. Apparently it was confirmed by the author in a forum thread.
>>
>>55388043

Purity, his ex-wife, is a legitimate racist, and openly reflects on how she was made into one by exposure to Kaiser's ideals. Kaiser was a true blue white supremacist, through and through.

You may be thinking of Hookwolf, who canonically was more interested in the power and fighting afforded to him by the group, and wasn't really an ideologue.
>>
>>55388610
Nah man. He's merely pretending.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?682837-Worm-Bet-the-Alternate-Thread-The-Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Still-Sucks-Though&p=16723029#post16723029
>>
>>55388642
>>rpg.net
>>
>>55382983
Warhammer 40K
Zelda
LotR
Dark Souls/Bloodborne

>>55388364
I don't know, anybody who cares about the actual setting/lore aspect acknowledges that it has turned to shit. Maybe in terms of the masses who happen to play warcraft but don't actually interact with it as a setting proper.
>>
>>55388610
>Kaiser
>Purity

Wow, such original names, truly flawless writing!
>>
>>55388954
Yeah, everyone knows cape stories need original names like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Or maybe Thor, the Hulk, and Iron Man.
>>
>>55388954
wow.

lookatthat straw grasping.
>>
>>55383022
This doesn't count as a setting.
It's just shit, and it's fans are autistic shit eaters.
>>
>>55389097
>something has a setting
>"it doesn't count as a setting"
Are you retarded?
>>
>>55388642

That's honestly pretty retarded, given that the story makes it clear that he warped Purity into racist beliefs. Not well written on Wildbow's part at all.
>>
>>55389168
I think it could work if developed a bit. She made it clear in her interlude that he was always finding ways to manipulate the people around him. He could have deliberately put those ideas in her head as a way of aligning her agenda with that of the E88. It raises some questions about the timeline, like at what point she gained powers, when she met Kaiser, and at what point Allfather founded the E88, but none of that stuff would really be an issue. Alternatively, maybe the impression left on Kayden was inadvertent, just something that rubbed off on her from interacting with whatever people Max used to hang out with, back when he was still the heir to Allfather.

As it is, yeah, can't say I think it meshes well with the characterization in the story. I'm guessing it was one of those things Wildbow had meant to develop down the line if Kaiser hadn't died to a bad dice roll.
>>
>>55382983
Dark Souls, or anything "inspired by Dark Souls"
>>
>>55389445

Oh, it certainly would work if Kaiser was developed further, as Purity could easily be an unreliable narrator attempting to reassign blame for her racist beliefs. As is, though, it falls flat.

Really wasn't the best idea to literally roll dice to pick who died, but hey.
>>
Star Wars is limited as fuck. You can't do much with it without breaking the mold.
>>
>>55389121
>something is absolute shit
>it's not!

Are you retarded?
>>
>>55389028
Not him, but that isn't a great rebuttal as those are all shit writing as well.
>>
>>55383442
>They're the most relatable villains in the story,

C'mon m8, Coil, Lung, and even Sophia are better villains than the E88. Purity is the only one of the neo-Nazi faction with any real development, and she's not even really an E88 member.
>>
>>55390053
They're more developed, but they're not relatable. Coil and Lung and Sophia are all sociopaths. Kaiser has motivations that you can kinda understand, and realistic flaws (besides the whole nazi thing). Shame he got fucked over by Leviathan RNG. It would have been interesting to see what would happen if he was alive.

Plus there's that interlude with Crusader that really humanizes (parts of) E88.
>>
>>55388911
>Zelda
You, sir, are not my nigga.
>>
>>55383540
I can't believe wormfags are this retarded.

No, wait, this is exactly how retarded you'd expect them to be.
>>
Why did E88 get the coolest powers and names out of anyone in the setting?
>>
>>55383141
It's not actually that popular. It just has some particularly autistic fans who won't shut up about it. It's the sort of thing that they want to promote because they think it's "underground" and "novel", rather than simply low-quality and completely derivative.

>>55386172
>enjoyable

It's practically unreadable, being written so poorly. And, almost all of its ideas are taken from some of the worst Marvel series and somehow mutated into something even worse.

>the second coming of Watchmen everyone hypes it up to be.
You might want to not hang out with people who read Worm anymore. You might be able to discover stuff worth reading if you did.
>>
>>55393234
"headspace" annoyed the shit out of me while reading worm. It's like the author discovered the word half way through writing it and decided to shove it literally everywhere.
>>
>>55393234
Worm is a major sunkcost fallacy. If you put in the effort to trudge through the quagmire of twilight-tier writing, you're going to hate feeling so stupid when you realize you've been wasting all that time and effort on what's a thoroughly mediocre setting and genuinely terrible plot and characters. Hence, the fans try to build it up in their minds, and pass it on so that they don't feel like the only idiots.
>>
>>55393406
Just like how the Homesick fans did.
>>
>>55393406
So kind of like you were for your mother
>>
>>55383022
Only on Spacebattles and TV Tropes, the rest of the internet could care less
>>
>>55383574
>Knowing anything at all about expanded universe if pretty rare.
The further you get away from the original trilogy--the first two movies really--the more schlocky and pointless Star Wars becomes. Honestly, I think a lot of later-day Star Wars' popularity just comes from brand recognition from the original trilogy. It's enough to get its foot in the door and becomes the generic space opera option in much the same way that D&D is the generic (fantasy) role-playing game.

But Star Wars (sorry: A New Hope) was revolutionary for its time in a number of different ways, and still holds up today. The Empire Strikes Back was a bit less revolutionary (since Star Wars had already done the innovating), but every bit as good. One problem with the franchise as a whole is that the original trilogy had a story to tell, and included the details it needed to do that, but later works have drawn on those rather narrow parameters and built an entire universe out of them, and it ends up feeling rather... artificial to me.
>>
>>55386147
>Dune
>It's overrated everything, really.
Dune declines after the first book, but the first book is phenomenally good and the setting is richly detailed.
>>
>>55383479

Isn't spacebattles infested with ASOIAF and Young Justice Self Insert fanfics right now?
>>
>>55382983
The "most obvious" overrated setting is some random bullshit nobody has ever heard of that nobody plays games in or has any products associated with it.

That sure makes sense.
>>
>>55393944
They've had extraordinarily shit taste for a while now, after an enormous influx of ponyfags, weebs, and SJWs
>>
>>55393715
I wouldn't be surprised if there was intense overlap between the two.
>>
>>55393873
Honestly the original trilogy aren't even in the top 10 of SW stories. Of course, that was back when we had an EU instead of the Mouse's leavings.
>>
Star Trek is overrated af.
>>
>>55394366
Well, they're both designed to appeal to teen hipsters.
>>
>>55393234

> low-quality and completely derivative.

How so?
>>
>>55397049
You're talking to Wormfag, anon. He is eternally triggered that the series exists and that people sometimes mention it.
He's part of the same autistic production run as the "BBEG: Ugh" guy and the "When did you realize D&D was crap" shitposter.
>>
>>55397049
You'll only find crickets when you ask an angry anon for the specifics of why the worm story is "bad".

Worm was a pretty damn great piece of litrature. Undersiders are all great-excellent, powers are highly distinct from other settings and many of the paragraphs hold nuggets of literature gold and it being 100% free and accessible is just the cherry on top.
>>
>>55382983

Pathfinder and Starfinder.
>>
>>55397251

>literature

Let's not be hasty.
>>
>>55386274
Nasu doesn't care, why should you?
>>
>>55383574
>third world shitters in charge of judging cultural importance
Unless you literally live in China or whatever with a few thousands years to shit out the occasional masterpiece, shut the fuck up.

But also.
>Judge Dread
>not Judge Dredd
FUCK
>>
>>55383022
Nailed it.
>>
>>55382983
I dunno. Forgotten Realms?
>>
>>55397163
BBEG: Ugh has now reached meme status though and I'm personally fond of it.
>>
>>55397251
>You'll only find crickets when you ask an angry anon for the specifics of why the worm story is "bad".

Not really. Just about any specific you can mention ends up showing how awful the series is.

It's actually funny, because wormfags like yourselves end up showing just how terrible the serial is by trying to give it your "raving reviews", and your discussions just help everyone else see just how stupid the whole thing is.

>powers are highly distinct from other settings

And also help highlight how limited the fans's knowledge happens to be. You basically have to have read Worm and nothing else to think any part of it is inventive or original.
>>
>>55395087
>designed

That implies that they weren't just written by the mental equivalent of teenage hipsters.
>>
>>55397049
>how is something that even its fans have to admit is terribly written terribly written?
>>
>>55397251
Are you sure you're in the right headspace for posting?
>>
>>55397251
>You'll only find crickets when you ask an angry anon for the specifics of why the worm story is "bad".

The rest of that post follows through though.

>Undersiders are all great-excellent, powers are highly distinct from other settings and many of the paragraphs hold nuggets of literature gold

Only idiots would wade through endless shit to find a few pieces of pyrite.
>>
>>55399454
You keep bringing this up but I never saw this happen anywhere.
>>
>>55383455
EP has lots of potential and it's easy to ignore or even subvert the anarchy crap.
>>
>>55399549
Wormfags have admitted to that in this very thread.
>>
>>55401099

Where?
>>
>>55382983
Why do you think that OA is overrated?
>>
File: sfsdfsdfsdf.jpg (148KB, 390x442px) Image search: [Google]
sfsdfsdfsdf.jpg
148KB, 390x442px
>>55398126
>Kazakhstan
>third world

>judging cultural importance
>Missing the point so hard
>>
RWBY. Everything about it.
>>
>>55383141
>that is somehow popular.
???
>>
>>55390053
Lung wasn't a villain so you are pretty retarded to begin with.
>>
>>55403321
Lung was 100% a villain.
>>
>>55389486
>Really wasn't the best idea to literally roll dice to pick who died, but hey.
How did he do it?

He made a DC 15 save or something to decide who dies during fights and city attacks or something?
>>
>>55393111
German names are usually cool.
>>
>>55399380
BBEG ugh is one of the shittiest memes /tg/ has ever produced, its low quality /v/ shit
>>
>>55383522
>Grimdark is garbage.´
Found the Tolkein shitposter.

Warhammer > your shit settings
>>
>>55383903
aberrant is gay shit
>>55383873
I have honestly never seen any fanfiction about it, hell I have never seen anyone even mentioned it outside of /tg/
>>
>>55383022
>>55383141
>look this up
>words words words
nigga i aint bout to read all this shit
>>
>>55403259
>Kazakhstan
By modern definition Kazakhstan is a third world shithole. The only relevance central Asia has ever had was being a colonial state of the SSSR. But hey, at least you aren't Tadzhik or Uzbek.
>>
>>55403530
Think of Marvel written by a teenager.
Now make it even dumber.
No, dumber than that. Also, add some angst. No, more than that. A lot more than that. Fuck it, just dump it all in there.
>>
>>55403530
we get it, you are black and hate reading

How stereotypical. I have a feeling you don't even play RPGs since you hate reading.
>>
>>55403623
>>55403623
>buzzwords the post
Marvelshill or DCshill? Hard to tell.

Both are kiddy shit for feminists anyway
>>
>>55403408
Still using "Big Bad Evil Guy" is low quality tvtropes shit.
>>
>>55403646
>angst and dumb are buzzwords

Wow, you wormfags go to weird lengths when trying to defend your garbage. Using "buzzwords" as a buzzword? What the fuck?
>>
>>55403673
>more buzzwords
You have setting nothing so far.
>>
>>55403751
*said nothing about the setting
>>
>>55403472
>I have honestly never seen any fanfiction about it
Be-fucking-hold https://forums.spacebattles.com/forums/worm.115/

>never seen anyone even mentioned it outside of /tg/
Outside of SB and reddit you probably wouldn't
>>
>>55403673
It worked, didn't it? Completely distracted you from the rest of how stupid his post was.
Wormfans are throwing rocks in glass houses today, talking about kiddy shit for feminists.
>>
>>55403378
In-story it's said that the anticipated casualty rate was something like one in four, so I'd guess he just rolled a d20 or something.
>>
>>55403841
Guess I was right, I would say it's a DC shill, last time I checked Marvelcucks had some shame over their femshit and Islamic captain Britain

DCshills? I have never seen them act shameful
>>
>>55403848
Does Wildwhatever even knows what Dungeons and Dragons is or are we just memeing here?
>>
>>55403841
I think he's just retarded. I've yet to encounter someone who liked Worm and wasn't.
>>
>>55403941
Same here, except with comics overall.
>>
File: IMG_0539.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0539.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>>55397293
>>55399393
>>55399499
>>55403673
>>55403841

>>>55397251
>Proving >>55397251's point this hard by just constantly insulting that anon's assertion is dumb/declaring anyone who like it to be retarded.

As an outside observer i found that nowhere in the entire thread has anyone for or aggainst this thing even bothers to list why the worm thing is objectively bad or good. It has great reviews on gooodread and sadly I'd rather take shitty reviews as a general assessment over the backwash of 4chan's cynicisms that are possibly the result of one dude.
>>
>>55406397
>Objectively

It's written by someone who literally can't write even at a college grade level, let alone a professional one. It's essentially a high school fanfic of Marvel comics with added edge/angst to try and pretend there's some depth to the story, when all the angst is largely just there for shock value. Every question is answered with "How can we make it more angsty/edgy?", complete with how they gain their powers, why they gain their powers, why the world is as it is, and so on and so forth. This little "key" to the series basically just turns it into a long (stupidly long) unfunny joke about how far one guy can push a mediocre idea with even more mediocre writing skills.

Even if it went through an editing process, all that would be left is a senseless setting designed cart-first, with almost a checklist of tropes for people to write about on tvtropes.

Objectively, it's terribly written. Grammar, vocabulary, style, every metric that could be assessed by a grade value would plummet this work to an F if submitted to any college classroom. To be fair, it was written by someone who was endlessly rushing to publish things on rapid schedule, and what it suffered from that process it made up with by hooking fans with the volume and punctuality of his releases. It built momentum, and now its fans are trying to keep pushing what's a decisively mediocre product in absolutely shameless fashion.
>>
>>55406397
It's a web serial, and by web serial standards, it's okay.
That means by all other standards, or really any actual standards whatsoever, it's terrible. It's fanfiction-tier writing about donutsteels.
>>
>>55407364
What's a donutsteel?
>>
>>55406761
>when an anon makes a 2000 character post to "explain" why is shit, and the only thing of value he could write with all those 2000 characters is that the author has grammatical errors
Really makes you think.
>>
>>55383293
>If you don't like what I like, you're doing it on purpose and you're autistic too
When you open with a defensive line like that, it makes it obvious you're just buttmad and have no legit argument.
>>
>>55407825
Not him, but I think you missed the first two paragraphs. Here, I'll summarize them for you:

1. It's too melodramatic.
2. It's too formulaic.
>>
File: originalthecharacter_9746.jpg (20KB, 256x206px) Image search: [Google]
originalthecharacter_9746.jpg
20KB, 256x206px
>>55407755
>>
>>55406761
>>55407364
>Saying something is bad obviously makes it bad the posts

>It's written by someone who literally can't write even at a college grade level, let alone a professional one. Objectively, it's terribly written.

All i can really say to you two is that...well...., you are both fucking wrong. The writing is tight. Give one example of substandard paragraph construction. Of bad dialog. All either of you do is say it's bad for being "Badly writen" (which it just plainly is not) being "formulaic" (which it just plainly is not), and being a grim[actually you say it's edgy but that's not actually what it is] A stor being dark is just a trait. It absolutely is dark but grimdarkness is in and of itself not a factor of something being good or bad.

>Every question is answered with "How can we make it more angsty/edgy?"

No, it starts with a set of capeshit tropes(monster attacks, government teams fighting villiens) and then works its way backwards asking "what things would need to transpire for it look like that in a realistic world?" and then expands from there.

>It's essentially a high school fanfic of Marvel comics.

Except the part where the setting, tone, characters, direction, and revelations are completely different and the parts about how it's mostly detailing the affairs of one crazy warlord in a bombed out city. There's not any magic or deities, No (normal) aliens, only one actual source for powers, The slow burning collapse/battle for civilization between villains and heroes, the super illuminati controling everything, The endbringer's constant attacks adding another layer to cape politics, the power restrictions, the-

I take it you think OPM is a marvel ripoff as well?
>>
The more defensive wormfags get, the more ridiculous and insane they sound. Like, is that you, John? Does John himself come here to shill?
I can't imagine anyone else defending it simultaneously so fervently and so ineptly. It's actually kind of creepy, especially the way they reject perfectly valid criticisms. It's either John or a cult, so I'm hoping it's John, because a Worm cult is a particularly sad idea.
>>
>>55382983
How is Orion's Arm overrated? I kinda like it but I've barely read anyone talking about it and even then most of it is negative.
>>
>>55399454
>>55401099
>fanbases are hive-minds
>>
>>55407364
>>55408016
>it's amateur so it's fanfiction tier and characters are donutseals on principle!
Donusteals are highly derirative "new" characters and fanfictions are seen pejoratively because they are generally bad.
They are not excuses to shit on everything amateur.
>>
>>55408423
The guy just said it's okay by amateur standards, you headspace headcase.
Thread posts: 159
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.