[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Call of Cthulhu alternatives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (99KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 600x400px
Dear tg\, help me.
I am looking for decent systems that I can use for my Lovecraftian-themed, Russia in 1920s setting.
With sanity or any other "horror" mechanics + sensible combat and etc for Indiana-Jones like adventures. Call of Cthulhu is not built for action scenes, imho.

Picrelated. I'll explain in next post.
>>
I'm a novice GM and I've been building it for Call of Cthuhlhu, but having finished a year-long campaign, I was left dissatisfied with the system (I was playing 6th ed)

It might not be the system's fault, because now I see that it was built for slow-paced "bookish"-oriented gameplay. I do not fully understand how you roleplay hours in library. And whats the point of rolling for it, really? And even if that it is, action, as I said, lacks a lot.

I was playing more of Indiana-Jones thing. The year was 1924, and Russia just few years after the civil war. Three heroes (scientists, but the field kind) are sent to the deep Siberia, where Tunguska meteorite once fell, and the Evenk people live.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 521x391px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 521x391px
And so, in the deep forests of Siberia there were too few libraries, and too much threats and cold and wind. For one, I didn't see any decent rules in how to roleplay extreme conditions. I had to come up with mine, but they really sucked just as I do. Have I missed it in the book?
>>
File: image.jpg (210KB, 773x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210KB, 773x1000px
Now, of course there were also extradimensional horrors, and I kind of like the sanity system, but I do not know better - so the questions is, are there better alternative mechanics?
If not, then I'll just borrow it from CoC anyway. But the combat, the shootouts, dodge mechanic, close combat - all of it is unsatisfying, even though sometimes there are exceptionally dramatic, fast and lethal moments.

Picrelated are people of Evenk, which live in those lands.
>>
Savage Worlds

Dark Heresy

Delta Green
>>
Nemesis. It's free! And uses the great ORE system by our saviour Stolze.
>>
>>55380000
Can you elaborate, good sir? Whats the pro's and con's, if you played it.
>>
What about Pulp Cthulhu? It is built precisely for what you describe and would be far less a learning than going to a new system would be. (Unless that is what you also want, a fresh start.)

Sounds like a neat setting/set-up.
>>
>>55379653
I'd recommend Unknown Armies. Except no postmodern magick/ avatars, and free 15% skill instead of 15% Drive.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.