[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion >Unearthed Arcana

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 365
Thread images: 44

File: gmurdo.png (66KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
gmurdo.png
66KB, 1000x700px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

How did you start GMing?
>>
>>55365215
other dude was brewing some time ago, his stats were

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.

Age. With enough Dust to sustain them, Broken Lords can live indefinitely.

Alignment. Broken Lords tend to be Lawful, since the society higly values honor above all else.

Size. The suits of armor shaping Broken Lords' bodies vary as much as bodies of living humans. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Dust Care. You can heal yourself with dust, expending 2 Dust per hit point. However, you can't heal naturally, and regain no hit points from resting.

Soul Leech. When you kill an enemy, you can use your bonus action to suck its soul, spending your Hit Die and regaining amount of HP equal to your hit die + your Constitution modifier. You can't use this feature when you destroy constructs.

Living Armor. Your armor is made of Dust-enhanced alloy, granting you a +1 bonus to Armor Class. You do not need to breathe or eat, but you have to consume Dust or souls instead.

Languages. You can read, speak and write Drakken and Amberian.
>>
Is there a stat block for a hag grandmother somewhere, or is the only difference between ordinary hags and grandmothers the lair actions they have? I want the party to fight a hag that has lived as every type of hag for a couple centuries so I want her to be a bbeg for tier 3 play
>>
File: Screenshot_20170913-130615.png (612KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170913-130615.png
612KB, 720x1280px
>1.9k replies later...
>>
best premade quick one shot for a group of mostly new players?
>>
>How did you start GMing?

My first GM I ever played under was incredibly bad and I thought that if he could do it, then I probably could.
>>
>>55369639
Switched with our GM so he could get a chance to play. Been the GM ever since
>>
>>55369639

I was the only one who wanted to do it.
>>
>>55369766
>Spokane
lmao
>>
>>55369639
How did you start GMing?
I wanted to give our current GM a break, and it ended up being fun enough for me to keep doing it.
>>
File: 1475174808990.jpg (293KB, 1024x822px) Image search: [Google]
1475174808990.jpg
293KB, 1024x822px
>tfw no Xanathar today
>>
File: 6921-15016-28714.jpg (676KB, 1300x835px) Image search: [Google]
6921-15016-28714.jpg
676KB, 1300x835px
>>55369639

Every other GM was garbage. I stepped up to the task. No one else followed my example. ForeverDM for 15 years now.
>>
What's the appeal of gming? From the stance of someone who's always been a player it seems like playing but doing 10x the work to make sure you always lose, not to say that it's always win lose in dnd but at the least 10x the work to get rp getting shit on by the party
>>
>>55370328
I wish my players had initiative and confidence to be DM. I love doing it honestly but man does it strike me fierce that I can't get to play in my current group. They really think DMing is pic-related. (they're not wrong at times though)
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-13-11-51-21-1.png (206KB, 1440x341px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-13-11-51-21-1.png
206KB, 1440x341px
>>55369639
I started GMing because i wanted to play more than once every 2 weeks or sometimes just once a month since my first froup was pretty inconsistent. Plus it let my forever GM that taught me the game a chance to play.

Captcha confirms it was for the right reason
>>
>>55369639
I was 12, a guy invited me to play.

The guy explained us the rules, the game was horrible, played 2 sessions and then his mum grounded him and took the books from him. It left me wanting to play more because I saw a lot of potential in the game(even though he was a shit DM) and I thought: well none of my friends know how to DM so I guess I'll have do it, so I decided, hey I am gonna be a DM myself.

16 years later I'm still DMing. I really don't like how my D&D career started because many of the things that DM explained me as rules were flat out wrong, and being 12 and not knowing much English reading the books was hard so I ran with bad things he told me were rules for a long time. Most of them I "homebrewed" them out of the game (in reality they didn't exist), but some of them stayed for years.
>>
>>55370418
For me it's the world building. Coming from playing video games, when I play RPGs, there are moments where I go "Man I wish I could re-tool Taris in KOTOR" or some shit like that and I'd think over my concept of worlds and shit. To have that in DnD allows me to create a world, its characters and such and see how my players interact. I really enjoy DMing because I feel like a river to my players. And giving them challenges and storylines that keep the players engaged every week is always satisfying.

When you have that GM moment where you get your players to feel raw emotion like a player tearing up cause of a sad story of an NPC or killing a traitor they trusted, or the players loving an NPC you created and them going high hell to protect him/her, or that shit. Or the "WOAH" they do when you drop twists in combat or in social interactions. That shit I live for in DMing when the players tinker the world we create together and see things bloom before their eyes.
>>
>>55370418
As a DM you're never really passively hanging back or waiting for your turn, since every action that isn't strictly between PCs involves you. Also, preparing cool encounters, twists, etc. is fun when it works out.
>>
>>55370418
The extra work triggers my autism in all the right ways. Plus with so little control in real life, having a situation where I am in total control really gets my rocks off. It gives me all the same feelings that playing stax in mtg gives me without being a cancerous dickbag. Sure I dont make my encounters so hard as to prevent my players from playing like stax often does in mtg, but being able to constantly obstruct my players goals and them enjoy it because they have to actually overcome a challenge and not just say "I fireball the horde" and "I smack the survivors of the fireball with my sword until they die" makes me feel great
>>
I tried to GM once and it was awful. The players had fun but GMing was hard as fuck. I guess I need to do it more to develop my shit. Does GMing experience translate to something useful in real world?
>>
>>55370441
I'd gently do it by getting players to volunteer to play certain parts of a scene. If they're comfortable with playing random NPCs, I might hand them some notes and ask them to DM the scene. Some players take to it more readily than others, though.

>>55370418
The extra work isn't really as bad as you make it out to be, and there's tons of tools and pre-written adventures out there that make it even easier.
>>
>>55370616
>Does GMing experience translate to something useful in real world?

If you have to even ask this question, you're far too immature to benefit from GMing.
>>
>>55369639
Well, it went like this
>come to a game, the DM was either very new or first time
>completely unprepared
>turns into a huge mess 30 minutes in
>I ask "how about you make a character and I DM instead?"
>he gladly agrees, while he fills out his character sheet I quickly think up a dungeon
>run it with premise of "cultists captured you as sacrifice, you must break out" everyone enjoys it
>continue that campaign for the next 3 years
>>
>>55369639
Anyone got a link to where I can download the players handbook so my players don't have to share the same one?
>>
I'm describing a small "norse" town with vikings and shit. What do I have to mention? I've already got the ruler and the temple covered.
>>
>>55370616
As someone who is taking up theatre acting, DMing actually helps in the creative process. Playing NPCs throughout the years, taking up acting lessons had an ease transition. I'm not saying I'm Oscar-winning but the theories behind acting and getting into character processing is very similar to how NPCs and background making is in PCs. It's actually fascinating to see.
>>
File: Melniphone.jpg (355KB, 1686x806px) Image search: [Google]
Melniphone.jpg
355KB, 1686x806px
Does anyone actually play sorcerers? I've never personally seen one played or even heard someone mention that they have played one in the past.
>>
>>55369639
Wanted to get friends interested, could find literally no other way to get them in one place because of scheduling, so now I am new GM for new players.

We're one session done, running Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and they had fun so I must be doing something right.
>>
>>55370968
Ran a game with a wild mage in it, she had a blast because I used different rules to activate her wild surge since she wanted to roll on the table more.
>>
>>55370451
What were some of the things you were taught early on that were made up?
>>
Anyone tried and Oath of the Crown paladin yet? I'm about to play one next week.
>>
>>55370968
There was a guy I used to play w/ who ALWAYS played a Sorc. This was in 3.5, I don't think he really got it though, he just played it as an easy-mode Wizard.
>>
File: 6f2.jpg (372KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
6f2.jpg
372KB, 710x508px
"You're the one who owns the books," they said, "so you have the most time to read them. You should be dungeon master!"

I was the designated "owns the book" guy. Now, I've been a player in exactly ten sessions over the course of thirteen years.
>>
>>55370968
Yeah, I see them frequetly and I DM for plenty of different groups. Dragon, Wild Mage, Favored Souls, one homebrew archetype. The Druids and Bards seem to be the rarest picks in my case actually.
>>
How long did it take your players to get level 4 in Curse of Strahd using milestone
>>
>>55371153
Even when new editions came out?
>>
File: Mediocre.gif (1MB, 498x330px) Image search: [Google]
Mediocre.gif
1MB, 498x330px
>>55371133
It's really good. On level 9 or so, when you get spirit guardians and start melting faces. Before that?
>>
>>55371268
Really, really fast. Like four sessions or so.
>>
Hey /5eg/, I have this character concept that I really like, but I'm having trouble figuring out what background to take.
>19 year old human man
>son of an honest, hardworking construction worker
>helps dad with work when he has the time
>born as a shadow sorcerer, but his magic hasn't surfaced yet (dm wants us to start at "level 0," still not entirely sure what that means)
>this is reflected by his lack of a pulse and inability to bleed
>his main source of income is selling merchandise his company steals from corrupt nobles, merchants who exploit the needy, etc
>he spent some time studying wizardry so he could learn the mage hand, minor illusion, and detect magic (magic initiate) to help with casing his jobs
>very charismatic, but won't exploit people who can't spare some extra coins or don't deserve getting swindled
You get it, kind of a robin hood type except instead of being completely charitable, he maintains his own lifestyle while also helping the working class whenever he can. Would I use charlatan, criminal or merchant for this? Maybe a custom background?
>>
>>55371100
A lot of crap, some of the highlights:

>He "explained" us what the role of the DM was: The DM decides what happens and players are just characters in the DM story, the DM also plays a especial character in the party, the role is called "The Legend", this means it is a character that is 3 levels higher than the party and has higher stats. This character is there to lead the party so the story the DM has planned happens.

>You have to roll to cook your rations, if you roll a 1 you lose 1 hp permanently, if you roll a 20 you gain 1 hp permanently, "The legend" can roll 3 times and pick the better number

>There is something called "greasy plate", it is full plate which has -5 AC instead of 1 AC (plate armour covered in oil, basically you can put oil in any full plate and make it a greasy plate), except against bludgeoning which has 1 AC too.

>Characters cannot start together, the first session (or at least the first hours of it) have to be about how they met and how they met "The legend", so you play from left to right of the table in turns (basically a 1 on 1 until they are all together), he even had a name for the first part of the game but I cannot recall it

And a lot of shit like this, you have to role play every thing that you do, you cannot have starting equipment, you have to roleplay how you buy it, you have to roll a d100 to determine how good looking or ugly you are. I could go on and on.

Looking back all of it sounds ridiculous but if you are 12, you see a series of big books in a language that you don't know, it is a game that you have never heard of and the DM acts like he is totally playing by the rules you just go with it.
>>
No readable PDF for ToA yet?
>>
File: 1503761188427.jpg (35KB, 525x384px) Image search: [Google]
1503761188427.jpg
35KB, 525x384px
>>55371346
>>
How is the Three Pillars XP UA put in practice?
>>
I first became a GM in high school when I found out my local library had D&D 4E books. I ran a really shitty game that lasted one session, and then later I ran a shitty d20 homebrew where I let everyone do anything as long as they rolled well with high stats, and then I moved to GURPS before moving to 5E. I've probably been DMing for 7 years.

Luckily, most of my friends like DMing so I've had plenty of opportunity to make my own PCs.
>>
>>55371315
Folk Hero?
>>
>>55371346
Every time you ask it won't be out for another day.
>>
>>55371326
>"The Legend"

Holy shit
>>
File: Tomb of Annihilation (LQ).pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb of Annihilation (LQ).pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55371346

Here, it's low quality but at least you can make out most of it. Magic item pages are sorta fucked but it's those "you can tell" kind of shit from the stats.
>>
>>55371326
This is horrible.
>>
Does anyone here play text over voice chat?

How's that working out?
>>
File: 1504666690124.jpg (73KB, 206x301px) Image search: [Google]
1504666690124.jpg
73KB, 206x301px
>>55371326
>>
What campaign should I run for a group of "monstrous" adventurers? We've got:

Dragonborn Ranger
Tiefling Wizard
Orc Artificer
Khenra Monk

I'm open to non-official adventures; too.
>>
>>55370868
Why not just google pictures of actual Norse towns and describe what you see?

The only other big thing I can think of would be a port/boats.
>>
Thinking about running a campaign for a bunch of friends, last time I tried running SKT once but we didn't go farther than the first session.
I want to play a homebrew setting now, how should I go creating a new world (I intend on recycling stuff from other settings to help me out)
>>
>>55371516
slow and comfy
>>
File: 55kfgWB.png (78KB, 600x605px) Image search: [Google]
55kfgWB.png
78KB, 600x605px
>>55369639
>sitting in a steam chat with some buds
>an Only War campaign 3 of us were in just died
>Dark Heresy DM keeps finding excuses
>say that it'd be fun if we had just a normal d&d thing
>people agree
>later ask d&d when
>"when you DM it"
>so I DM'd it
well that's how it was
>>
I have a hard copy of ToA I would scan if you cheap motherfuckers would chip in a few bucks so I can buy a replacement book
>>
File: 1503101143077.jpg (9KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1503101143077.jpg
9KB, 342x342px
>>55371326
>>
>>55369639
>Doesn't link previous thread
>Doesn't post link in previous thread
What a colossal fuckup.
>>
>>55369639
Working a shit uneventful shift, decided to give D&D a try and managed to wrangle up a few players.
Only lasted two sessions of Lost Mines.
>>
>>55371522
We'll need more info than that m80, what are the characters like, what do they want out of an adventure, why are they adventuring? Details
>>
File: Снимок.png (4KB, 371x63px) Image search: [Google]
Снимок.png
4KB, 371x63px
>>55370849
>>
How can I make a Pickle Rick homebrew race? What would it's stats be? I don't want to just play somebody that's been true polymorphed into a pickle either, it's important to start as a pickle
>>
File: 1504570762468.jpg (70KB, 626x597px) Image search: [Google]
1504570762468.jpg
70KB, 626x597px
>>55371583
>>
>>55371448
"The legend" in his game was the most Mary Sue character ever, it was a Elf ranger, dual wielder, 18 00' strenght but that didn't look strong, son of the king of the elven kingdom, who was also an orphan now because orcs killed the king but he was training to become strong to be king himself (his story was absolutely incoherent), also he had a huge dick.
>>
File: tumblr_ovk09d4zZf1w3qwq9o1_1280.gif (468KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ovk09d4zZf1w3qwq9o1_1280.gif
468KB, 800x450px
>>55371326
>>
File: Trashcan_sprite_001.png (205KB, 1676x2094px) Image search: [Google]
Trashcan_sprite_001.png
205KB, 1676x2094px
>>55371583
>>
>>55371326
NONONONONONONONONO
>>
>>55370968
There's a favoured soul in my current party.

More specifically, being a Cha caster with natural AC boosts and the ability to turn into a dragon has appeal.

Also, metamagic is actually really powerful. The ability to guarantee all your allies pass the save for Web is good, but the ability to (potentially) throw out 2 twinned spells in one round gives you obscene burst.

Also I've heard of multiclass builds that use quickened spell + multiattack in concert. You can do things like a faerie fire followed by a two-hit combo with advantage, or just double down on the sorcery and hit 4 targets with faerie fire at once.
>>
>>55369639
>DM of two years was complaining about forever DM status last year
>Ask in group chat if people think a superhero campaign or a fantasy dieselpunk game would be more fun
>DM figures out I'm offering and asks the system
>I say M&M and somebody suggests Fate
>Say I'd run DF if it was Fate and DM is all about that
>Session 0 was last wednesday with 3 no shows
>Session 1/session 0 part two is tonight
>>
>>55371583
But Pickle Rick was literally just transformed into a pickle. Polymorph should be fine for that.
>>
File: Shrugs Bunny.png (258KB, 351x364px) Image search: [Google]
Shrugs Bunny.png
258KB, 351x364px
>hunting rifle
>range: 80/240ft
>>
>>55371522
Out of the Abyss is underdark-focused so your players might face less of the prejudice? Or at least just as much as the normie human/elf/dwarf would in that scenario?
>>
>>55371629
>2 twinned spells
You can't use multiple metamagics on a given spell, except for Empowered
>>
>>55370418
You get to play as dragons and shit.
>>
>>55371662
But I want a race
>>
>>55371579
>>55371522

Oh, right, so in greater detail,

- A Dragonborn and his dog looking for thrills in their short lives
- A Tiefling that lived with and apprenticed under Elves, reading up on magic in her free time and finally escaping that lifestyle
- An Orc tinkerer who didn't fit in with his tribe and wants to build things despite a naturally low intelligence
- And a Khenra whose twin is trapped on another plane of existence and has lost most of their will to live
>>
>>55371698
>Orc tinkerer
How can they tinker if they can barely bathe?
>>
>>55371326
Thelegend27!?
>>
>>55371720
>"I tied rock to hammer. Now hammer is heavier and better."
>>
>>55371750
Good point actually
>>
>>55371777
No point, blunt.
>>
>>55371791
Mouthbreather
>>
>>55371750
I love the idea of orc engineers who just tie rocks to everything as improvement. ROCK ARMOR, MAYBE HEAVY BUT STURDY AND BETTER! ROCK WAGON. NOW NEED 10 HORSES BUT VERY RESISTANT AND BETTER. SPEAKING HORSES, WE HAVE ROCK BARDING. HORSES TIRE VERY QUICK BUT IT'S STRONG AND BETTER.
>>
File: 1505227149527.jpg (27KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1505227149527.jpg
27KB, 350x335px
>>55371791
I laughed but fuck you
>>
File: the chew.jpg (312KB, 1068x852px) Image search: [Google]
the chew.jpg
312KB, 1068x852px
>>55371326
>>
>>55371820
>They've finally reached the stone age (':
>>
>>55371698
Well could try running them through CoS, of course ToA is out, another one that could easily work is Tales From the Yawning Portal.
>>
>>55371820
So stone age 40k orks?
>>
>>55371315
Charlatan.
>>
>>55371390
Swapped to it for my more noob group as they seemed dissatisfied with milestone system giving them levels out the blue.

Fortunatly the first time it popped up was when the barbarian pulled a great speech out his ass to convince the local militia that the quest they were undertaking wasn't total nonsense
(they got stranded in the woods, wounded and without supplies. The totem barb used his rituals to convince a buzzard to retrieve the one character in town to get the militia to find them. Once they were found, instead of going straight fucking home they wanted the militia to bumrush an established goblin colony with them).

When he did this, I stated out loud that everyone got 10xp (there were 20ish guys their including the village cleric and druid who are the big cheeses in town so it kinda works out maths wise) the entire group went nuts with excitement at the tangible steps towards leveling and the idea that one person doing neat shit on their own could benefit the entire party in a meaningful way.

After that it was a joy to watch previously unengaged players leap and bounce into roleplaying and strategic thinking that was beyond them even a session previously, as they now had a more game like focus to encourage them to do so.

However I would probably steer clear of using it on real grognard group as its a bit basic and can be easy to game the system (bards can basically XP milll going from town to town and finding the big players in town and making friends with them).
>>
>>55371856
Myself and one of the players recently finished CoS and we're probably going to take a break from Barovia for a bit. But with Yawning, did you have an adventure in mind?
>>
>>55371481
fuck you
>>
>Most of the session is dedicated to my Ranger meeting and befriending their animal companion while the party fucks around with magic
I don't know how to feel about this
>>
>>55371963
Not really, look through them and find one that you think your players would enjoy.
>>
>>55371950
>bards can basically XP milll going from town to town and finding the big players in town and making friends with them
Simply lower the XP given to negligible amounts since there is no challenge to it.
>>
Started by wanting others to learn and want to DM so I started up AL.

Now I've got the store owner giving store credit to players who dm and they are starting to realize how fun it is.
>>
>>55371972
did you have fun
that's all that matters
>>
Question about the Stone Sorcerer's Stone Edge ability, does this affect the Smite spells or not?
>>
>>55371549
I would if you had proof you would pay out. Or proof that im not the only one donating. Set up a way for all that and ill throw 10 bucks at you, getting up to another 50 something usd shouldnt take too many people. My lgs didn't even order the book until I called and asked on monday x.x
>>
>>55369639
Learned out of necessity as our DM at the time wanted to take a break, with him at the helm I can actually PLAY 5e and not 3.5. He's putting up to a vote.
>>
File: IMG_5034.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5034.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>55372078
My body is ready if anyone else wants to chip
>>
File: Stone's Edge.png (102KB, 552x282px) Image search: [Google]
Stone's Edge.png
102KB, 552x282px
>>55372073
The ability in question.
>>
Has anyone ever made a C++ program to auto-generate stealth rolls and initiative?
>>
>>55371950
>with milestone system giving them levels out the blue.
Do adventure books really call that milestones? Because the DMG says of milestones, briefly "Give them XP for doing stuff. Easy encounter's worth normally. Hard encounter's worth if it was really important."
>>
>>55371666
Contrary to what you might think, /k/retin, guns did not use to be very accurate OR powerful.
>>
>>55372144
Yes, but you have to damage them that round.
>>
>>55372144
Only if it triggers on the round you cast it.
>>
>>55372164
>>55372204
Does this stack with Booming Blade + Green Flameblade? As these are separate spell castings?
>>
Question regarding darkvision.

"You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray."

Am I to understand this that a character with darkvision is limited to 60 ft regardless, or that they see the first 60 ft of dim light to bright light, and have unlimited (subject to lines of sight and such) dim light vision in darkness?
>>
>>55372212
Yep.
>>
>>55371666
Calm down Satan, if it bothers you that much homebrew what you think are appropriate ranges.
>>
>>55370418
For me, it's the same appeal as being a game dev. The entertainment I find in building cool challenges/characters/areas for my group is the exact one I find in making a small, fun video game for people on the internet to play. Same thing for watching/hearing about people having fun with the stuff in question.

Also, building a satisfying story (where the heroes win because they were clever, or lose because of their flaws and mistakes) with appropriate build-up and conclusion.
>>
>>55372227
Really? Huh, that's quite good I did not think those stacked.

>>55371666
See homebrew.
>>
>>55372212
Yes.
>>
>>55372060
I did, and the rest of the party did some pretty plot relevant stuff with breaking a curse.
>>
>>55372125
How we doing this money transaction though?
>>
>>55372277
>Mercer's shit pf port
No ty.
>>
>>55372289
>>55372227
So Double Stone's Edge + Thunderus Smite + GFB/BB. Not bad for a 1st level spell slot.
>>
>>55372301
I can just PayPal link because that's easy as fuck
>>
>>55371966
hahahaha
>>
>>55372304
I meant the gun ranges not the rules. You may find those numbers more to your liking.
>>
>>55372147
Why does it need to be c++ specifically? :D
>>
>>55372395
Because it's the one I kinda know
>>
File: meme.png (29KB, 507x405px) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
29KB, 507x405px
>>55372219
>>
>>55372409
Thank you, anon. You've made my day a lot easier.
>>
>>55369639
What sight or tools or programs would you guys recommend I should use to build and run a campaign for my friends? They are not tech savvy so the simpler the better
>>
>>55372160
>OR powerful
It was powerful enough for them to stop wearing any armor but the breastplate, since that was the thickest armored part.
>>
>>55372436
Graph paper
>>
>>55372463
>>55372160
The hunting rifle in the dmg has 5 rounds. If you're in an era that has revolvers, firearms are absolutely more accurate and powerful than longbows.
>>
About to DM for the first time for people who've never played before. I think I'm gonna do like an easy starter town and dungeon that can stand alone to get them acclimated and then if they end up liking it the story can continue (they beat the dungeon and are singled out for a greater quest).

Here's my idea: Town has a local "tinkerer" (in scare quotes for a reason) who ostensibly has created some amazing clockwork items that the town loves. What makes him most famous is his tinkered automatons (Modrons) that are unique to the continent as far as anyone knows. He recently became reclusive. A quest brings the adventurers to his workshop which is expansive and makes up the dungeon where they fight their way through some Modrons. The crux of the story is that the tinker is a fraud - he summoned the Modrons from Mechanus and became a recluse when keeping up appearances became too daunting. The idea I'm kicking around for a quest is they meet someone who commissioned the tinker to make a device that he obviously can't make because he doesn't have the talent. He hires the adventurers to retrieve it. The only problem I'm thinking is that it might be unsatisfying when the quest can't be completed since the device doesn't exist.

What do you think - cheesy or will new players be into it?
>>
>>55372436
>>55372493
Forgot to say that I want to run it online
>>
>>55372502
Yeah, that ending's pretty lame. At least make something interesting happen.
>>
>>55372436
Truesight
>>
>>55372573
Yeah there would be a boss fight either after they find out his secret (I can't let you leave) or before they find it out (then they'd have to figure it out some other way) but i'm still thinking about a satisfying way to end the quest. Might just think of a different quest that can be completed, one that ends with them getting the magical item they came for and then deciding to give it to the guy or skip town
>>
>>55372502
>>55372573

I think unearthing the mystery has a degree of reward to it. I mean, ,any quest lines expound on each other as the story goes. It's not like they can't complete it in the game sense. Even video games when NPCs tell players to get this item for them and it turns out there's more to it, it's not something they can't complete cause it's unavailable, it just means the quest has expanded its scope that what was let on.

That said, I think you have something good going but yeah, I think you should add another layer to it to make something happen.
>>
The BBEG from my games is going to confront my party heads-on on our next session.

All my PCs are already cursed one way or another except for the Light cleric, who's full of hope and trying to help everyone.
My BBEG will try to Hold Person everyone, and will kill him with one of his friends' sword.
I'll offer the player to come back, accepting a Dark Gift that will forever taint his character's soul.
I want it to be him, because my BBEG would fully understand how hard a blow it would be to the party's morale.

I think it's a great idea for the plot, and I think the BBEG would 100% act like this.
My problem is: is there a way to make this happen without pissing the hell off my player(s) ?

BBEG is Strahd von Zarovich, of course.
>>
>>55370968
Careful is amazing as depending on DM interpretation.
If they read it as 'Spend a point, CHA MOD allies auto save all saves (first and future) on the careful spell' it is absolutely fucking baller.

If they read it as 'Spend a point, CHA MOD allies auto save on the FIRST save on the careful spell' then it's nearly useless and only applies to like, three spells (unless you want to be nuking your allies still with evocations or something)

Personally I prefer the first interpretation as it adds some variety to the myriad of 'lol my sorc has twin and quicken... just like every other sorc ever fucking made'
>>
>>55372769
Don't force a death in the party without giving your players some way to avoid it. Don't make it a cutscene, let them fight back, and be prepared for your players to turn the tide, it will make things far more interesting than otherwise, and more fun for everyone.

My party is also about to encounter Strahd, and just after escaping the Amber Temple and low on resources no less. I have no idea what's going to happen to them.
>>
>>55372832
I have the feeling that doing it as a cutscene would actually be better because there'll be no illusion on them being able to do anything.

Consider how awkward it'll be if all of them fail Hold Person and then I just proceed to shit all over them.

Will it really be less frustrating than actually doing it as a cutscene? Legitimate question.
>>
>>55371676
But you can twin an action spell and a bonus action spell as long as one of them is a cantrip per the bonus action spellcasting rules
>>
>>55372801
>If they read it as 'Spend a point, CHA MOD allies auto save on the FIRST save on the careful spell' then it's nearly useless and only applies to like,
This is both RAW and RAI
>>
>>55372883
>>55372769
I hope that you are trolling, seriously.

No one is this stupid.
>>
File: 5e art magic.pdf (74KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e art magic.pdf
74KB, 1x1px
Someone linked a bunch of good homebrew stuff in the last thread. Can you guys post some of your favorite homebrews or just link to where to find some?

Attached is a system of magic I really wanted to try to make work in 5e but I wasn't creative enough and people in these threads shat on the idea. But uh enjoy I guess?
>>
>>55372801
>'lol my sorc has twin and quicken.
And that's why you will say sorcerers are bad, you picked two expensive MM options. And Quicken is not even good at third level
>>
>>55372883
>Will it really be less frustrating than actually doing it as a cutscene? Legitimate question.

Have you ever been a player in a D&D campaign? There is nothing more frustrating than something happening to your character without your direct control, even if it's something terrible.

It's way more fun to actually roll the dice and see what happens than to show and have the DM go, "Oh, by the way, you die.", even if the same outcome happens from the dice roll, because atleast then, you had a chance.
>>
File: 1504715758418.png (227KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1504715758418.png
227KB, 557x605px
>create a full martial boss fight
>my players have one of the greatest combat encounters in our campaign

Jesus why does something without magic feel so damn good to run?
>>
>>55372883
>Will it really be less frustrating than actually doing it as a cutscene?
Forget D&D, have you ever played *any* game, ever?
>>
>>55372983
>>55372964
>>55372925
That's fair. Thanks for your input.
>>
>>55372408
I could write one for you if you could give a bit more info on what exactly you want it to do
>>
So the tiefling warlock in my campaign is down the with devil(s), what are some things I can have her patron try and entice her to do? We're running Phandelver so I'm thinking my have her patron give her a dream telling her to kill Gundren or maybe burn the map or something
>>
>>55373053
Help the Black Spider
>>
How do I make ranger decent in 5e?
>>
>>55373090
Use UA
>>
>>55373090
Use the UA Revised Ranger
>>
I was really fucking drunk once with some friends and someone was like "We should play D&D, y'know, all ironic like" because he found other friend's D&D books. Since I was the drunkest, decided I should be the GM. Been doing it for 15 years with the same group.
>>
>>55373090
play the variant Ranger and take a favored enemy that's abundant in the campaign. Enjoy 3 attacks per turn and bonus damage on each hit.
>>
>>55373090
Play it as it is
>>
>>55373117
>We should play D&D, y'know, all ironic like
This is a person that really wanted to play but was too much of a sperg to want to admit it
>>
>>55370418
Some people like to be god.
>>
>>55373154
Obviously, if they've been playing for 15 years now.
>>
>>55373128
>Play it as it is
QFT
>>
>>55373117
I don't think I've ever known anyone who actually wanted to play D&D "ironically". Every person I've ever met who's said that has ended up playing long term.
>>
>>55373154
>>55373173
>>55373191
Oh, absolutely, especially when he knew exactly what character he wanted to play and rolled the whole thing in like 10 minutes. Definitely was in the closet.
>>
>>55370968
I do. I love the idea of Sorcerers but man they get boned more than any other casting class. Fucking Wizards man, especially Lore.
>>
>>55373191
Well, yeah. Even a casual one-shot game is a pretty involved affair. You just don't take the effort if you're not genuinely into it.
>>
How should i run a game for only two players?
>>
>>55373128
>>55373176
Why do you prefer original version?
>>
>>55373191
It's same as ironically sucking a dick.
>>
>>55373090
Either play UA for a functioning, fulfilling class, or take PHB beastmaster as a small race, and fly on your pet at level 3.
>>
What are the closest to balance among the subclass UAs? My DM has a "No UA class/subclass rule sans Ranger" but as the campaign is going and our characters are nearing their endgame, he's thinking of lifting the rule when we start a new one. We're still gonna discuss it over when the campaign finishes up but I'm hoping that we don't bring in something that might be game breaking or underwhelming or something like that.
>>
>>55373224
There are some ready-made 4-6 player modules that are playable with 2 higher level players...
>>
>>55373206
I don't really blame him though, I feel like D&D was still considered "lame" up until a few years ago. Now it seems like everyone and their mom wants to play and the stigma isn't really there all that much.
>>
>>55373241
Most of them are fine outside of: Lore Wizard, Mystic, and crazy multiclass combos.
>>
>>55373191
>>55373206
I just imagined some guy walking into an airport bathroom, going into a stall, stomping their heel twice and sliding their feet to the right three times to identify they want to roll a variant human for the starting feat.
>>
>>55372909
Literally Hitler
>>55372942
I agree with that, only if you're some crazy gish that really needs to get out spells as a bonus action so your action can attack do I like quicken.
Normally I like Twin or Subtle. Twinned suggestion is pretty great, and subtle is pure 'fuck your casters' bait for fighting enemy casters.
>>
>>55373224
Either

-Give an NPC party member or two that they control in combat but outside of it, it's all you (though in dungeons you can make it that the PCs can request the NPCs to help them with skill checks)
-Let them create 2 PCs per player to fill up the 4-player quota (this is what I did with my brothers and we've had quite a fun time) but they better prepare themselves to roleplay two characters (though my brother's 2 PCs were a brother and a mute sister. Helped him in that regard)
>>
>>55373255
That may or may not be related to Stanger Things.
>>
>>55373206
>>55373255
Is there a reason? Is it WotC's marketing of the 5th edition (along with its ease of use rules) as well as the rise of streaming thanks to Twitch and other similar sites making DnD more accessible? I'm quite happy that the stigma of DnD has fallen of in recent years but I still feel like the sudden burst of mainstream exposure is odd. Even old high school buddies of mine have reached out to me asking about it remembering me playing 3.5e back then and how they want to get started for their end of things.
>>
>>55372970
Give us the details.

>>55373117
That's kind of heartwarming.
>>
>still no official AL grung rules like everyone hopes there will be
worried
>>
>>55372970
What, did you give him a bunch of swashbuckler and battle master abilities?
>>
>>55373365
We still get together once a month for a session where we get absolutely wasted. Sort of tradition now.
>>
>>55373339
Don't forget about Bazing(actually forget the name of the show) and streams like Critical Role.

>>55373361
I think a mix more of easy to get into and streams making people think "that looks fun".
>>
>>55373439
Should be Bazinga, fucking phone
>>
>>55373361
I think it was a combination of all of those things, it's so much easier to watch and play D&D now than it was even 5 years ago.

But the way I've described it before was that the stigma behind D&D was a dam, not a wall. Once it became somewhat accepted by the mainstream, people who REALLY wanted to play for years but couldn't/were afraid to started coming out of the woodwork.
>>
>>55372769
This is if course, incredibly stupid

The untainted Cleric of light will seize at the opportunity of giving Strahd the ultimate defiance and die rather than play his little games. And the player will mostly likely hate you for this.
>>
>>55373090
Play hunter or play PHB beast-master with a dimetrodon pet and a greatsword then beg the wizard to cast haste on you for 4 2d6 attacks every round at level 5.
>>
What spells would a wizard cast at a party of mid to low levels (max level 10-11) that have generally really strong Wisdom saves?

Other than fireballs for days of course
>>
As a newbie DM (only ever ran one session) how should I handle multiclassing?

Anything I gotta keep in mind?
>>
>>55373191
Tday's irony is tomorrows sincerity.
>>
Serious question:
Doesn't Invisibility counter Sunlight Sensitivity?

Since the trait is more like an UV allergy than anything after all
>>
>>55373600
Do not allow your players to multiclass anything that is Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>55373600
Don't allow it if you're not comfortable with it. Other than that, enforce the rules on it in the phb
>>
Just take the noble knight background and say the 2 extra characters are squires.
>>
>>55369639

Started DMing in general when a bunch of my friends took an interest and wanted to play but no one wanted to DM so I volunteered. Back then it felt like a chore, but nowadays I actually like it. Started DMing 5ed when the group I'm playing with now put the active campaign on hold and started to argue over who would DM next, I volunteered even though I was a newcomer and they let me. I got a hold of the system pretty fast and I got so involved with the PCs and the setting that I ended up running one of my best campaigns. I'm already making plans for when it's my turn to DM, can't wait to make the players see what I'll do to them.

>>55370968
Friend of mine went as a Tabaxi Wild Mage in the campaign I mentioned above, if I remember correctly he blasted his way through every encounter so far with minimal damage dealt to him.
>>
>>55373615
Sunlight Sensitivity in drow is essentially a mystical affliction. Trying to bypass it with physics is asking for problems.

Kobolds are a bit of a wonky case, but they have a racial that helps make up for it. Don't let players bypass racial drawbacks with easy methodology. If you don't want those drawbacks, don't play that race.
>>
>>55373600
First off, I personally put one restriction on MC it has to make sense. Does it actually fit your character or is it needed to fully create the character idea you have? Next PCs that multiclass correctly are generally more powerful, which means you'll have to balance encounters a little differently than you would around a party that doesn't MC. Last try not to let people do the ultimate cheese classes like sorcadin.
>>
>>55373600
Absolutely do not allow mutliclassing if you're a new GM. Honestly, even if you're a vet multiclassing is still bs and should only ever happen if there's a narrative reason.
>>
>>55373615
>more like an UV allergy
Nani?
>>
>>55373632

Wild Magic is all about getting big power boosts in exchange for the risk of calamitous fuckups, right?
>>
>>55373615
>more like a UV allergy
The sun is too bright for them so it hurts their eyes. That's literally it
>>
>>55372970
Because it gets your hands dirty and makes you think about more than just which AOE or debuff spell to use.
>>
Here is my D&D/GSG alike discord server.
https://discord.gg/h4RcMn6
>>
>>55373568
Wall of Force/Fire, Ray of Enfeeblement
>>
About do do the card reading in CoS. What should you do if you get a bad ally? I mean some of them are not only extremely unimportant and lame but also totally worthless (one is a commoner with 2 hp).

Is it better to just point to a different ally if the card you draw is shit?
>>
Quick question about Strahd's special Charm action. From the way it's written, does it mean that only a hit from Strahd or one of Strahd's minions/companions can end the charm by this means?

A party member can't talk to smack sense back into a character?
>>
>>55373745
Suck it up.
>>
>>55369639

I posted this in a /tg/ confession thread, may as well repost it here:

I started playing when I was a kid, Fast forward to a few years ago, a buddy of mine wanted to try D&D and out of our group of 7 I was the only one with any experience. Fast forward more to today, I'm a family man and most of the others are bachelors, so over the past few years almost everyone else has collected more game time each than me, because my time's pretty limited.

Even with that though, we've tried our hand at some of the other guy's DMing and they either get overwhelmed, or the group votes to put me back in the DM chair because they prefer my style or stories. I don't mind doing it so no one else has to, but I also really enjoy playing. We always have fun though, so it's no biggie.

All that being said I firmly believe that I'm a better player than everyone else in the group as well, in regards to knowing my character,
roleplaying, taking notes and paying attention to the story, deferring to the DM / not being That Guy, etc.
>>
>>55373745
Either lie, or (lie) and stack the deck for the outcomes you want.
>>
>>55373719
Fuck off cancer
>>
>>55373689
Except that's wrong because you can't avoid sunlight sensitivity by wearing sunglasses or a shade hat
>>
>>55373665
Basically how it tends to be described here. Its a general radiation from the sun that causes the reaction, not "light" in and of itself. It's why you can't just toss a mask on and say it's good - but if you try to physics it into "well obviously its UV they are talking about", it creates issues. It's a lot better to run it on "its fucking magic bitch" levels.

>>55373689
In the case of drow, its pretty much a metaphysical allergy.
>>
>>55373684
That fucker is blessed, let me tell you. Even after we changed the rule to make him roll the Wild Surge table more often, every surge that he rolled was beneficial to him or to the party.
>>
>>55373699
>>55373395
>>55373365
Yeah it was just a souped up Battlemaster with some Legendary actions (it was 1 vs 4 of them) since it was the secondary antagonist of their 8-month long campaign. With how long this enemy was in their campaign, they finally caught up to him and I wanted to make it rather special. Actually it helped that when I made him, I didn't originally intend him to just be simply a martial characters but with my first descriptions, my players observed him and made theories that he's some kind of master swordsman and is more practical. I thought it would be rewarding for the players if I let those observations be validated when they see he is really a muggle with a sword and mundane items/environment.

Lots of fun moments like when he disarmed the cleric off his shield (which had his focus on) giving the party that "OH SHIT" moment, then followed with disarming him but proceeded to use grappling (though this didn't turn out as neat as I thought but luckily he got his weapon back and it went back in tempo) and the Wizard using Invis and the boss kicking down a water barrel that made the players think on their feet since the water would reveal the Wizard's position. On top of flasks of oils being tossed, caltrop usage, ball bearings and some manacles, I wanted to also emphasize my players the utility of mundane items.

Most importantly, players also enjoyed the hell out of fighting him cause they started thinking on their feet esp fighting against the Maneuvers (Sweeping Attack and Riposte in particular) so they also thought more on positioning and such. It made the Champion Fighter wish he got Battle Master (I did tell him it won't be as souped up as the one I'm running but I did say the battle maneuvers did work similarly) and ultimately, they felt like this character lived up to their expectations of him after following him for so long. They didn't kill him though and they threw him to the slammer. I might bring him back but I'm still unsure.
>>
>>55373850
Wholesale use a different wild magic surge table, or start editing the on you *do* use for variety sake.

I started stealing from this and my players loved it.
> http://www.lastgaspgrimoire.com/do-not-take-me-for-some-turner-of-cheap-tricks/
>>
>>55373847
Except even if they wild shape they still suffer from the same issue of sunlight sensitivity. So even with fucking magic they still suffer from this affliction, if they don't want the drawback then don't play the race.
>>
File: Sorcerer Rework.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer Rework.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
Looking for feedback

>inb4 it's shit
It may very well be shit.
>>
>>55369639

>>55368847
added to ToA leak album
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
Is there any real reason to play a drow over a half-drow? You lose
>weapon training
>magic, which you can keep if you choose it over skill versatility
>trance
>better darkvision
In exchange for
>not being lynched on sight
>no sunlight sensitivity
>a vastly superior asi that makes the half-elf the best race for any cha based character, a position only contested by v human
>any 2 skills or drow magic
Seriously, why don't drow players just play as half-drow?
>>
>>55373971
You don't understand, they gotta be Drizzt, man.
>>
>>55374013
Who?
>>
>>55373568
Depends how obviously you want to be targeting them. My experience is mostly with lower level stuff, but if you're mostly worried about WIS saves-
Web: Game over for anyone that dumped STR with a -1, fail the first DEX save and they're stuck as can be.
I'd say Fireball for DEX save but at that level even a full on 48 damage they'd probably shrug off.
Stinking Cloud if they've got bad CON saves and he's a necromancer or something with poison immune undead minions.
Sleet storm if you want to play the benny hill theme music the entire time.
Evard's Black Tentacles: Like Web, but Damage!
Banishment: What, you didn't boost your CHA saves? (This one may cause a player to get really upset though, use with caution)
Wall of Force/Wall of Stone: Classic 'Remove half the party from the encounter' spell.

Wont say anything else higher since I've honestly only hit 6th level (characters, not spell levels) so my experience is pretty weak there.
>>
>>55374024
Gary Stu: Black Edition
>>
>>55374037
>Gary Stu
...Who?
>>
>>55374051
>>55374024
You're playing tabletop RPGs and you don't even know what a gary stu archetype is?
>>
>>55373891
Will do, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>55374066
Never heard the name before
>>
>>55374076
A Gary Stu is exactly like a Mary Sue but with a penis
>>
>>55374013
I really don't get why people want to model their characters after existing characters
>>55374076
A character that's perfect and infallible. Drizzt is a Gary Stu in D&D lore
>>
>>55374076
I mean, understandable if you don't know who Drizzt is but I find it that in the realm of tabletop RPGs, you'd at least know what a Gary Stu is unless your players are very good at avoiding that.
>>
>>55373871
>I might bring him back but I'm still unsure.
redemption arc
>>
>>55374099
>>55374102
>>55374107
Ok, I've heard Mary Sue before but it's always been in reference to both male and female characters. Gary Stu is a new one.
>>
>>55373960
>spell points
It's shit.
>>
File: 1502723714912.jpg (40KB, 505x488px) Image search: [Google]
1502723714912.jpg
40KB, 505x488px
>>55373871
Very nice
>>
I'm going to run Hoard of the Dragon Queen / Rise of Tiamat.
Any tips?
>>
>>55373506
It might be so, yes. I'll probably allow for the character to be resurrected some way or another.

I don't see how that is "stupid" considering that is exactly what Strahd would do.
>>
>>55373689
Thats literally wrong. Sunlight =/= Bright light

You can literally have dim Sunlight
>>
>>55374166
>spell points
Already better than PHB sorcerer
>>
>>55373971
>not being lynched on sight
That's debatable.

>>55374102
>I really don't get why people want to model their characters after existing characters
Do people actually do this? I mean, I get using an existing character as an aesthetic basis, I do that sometimes, but actually emulating another character in personality and skills is just about the most unoriginal thing I can think of.
>>
>>55373960
>spell points
Pretty much everyone in this thread already knows that spell points are the way to fix sorcerers
>arcane recovery lite
Ok cool
>lore wizard shit at level 1
Aaaand it's busted
>>
>>55374186
It's not that "What Strahd would do" is stupid but taking player agency is what's stupid. Never EVER take away player agency in a situation that naturally allows them to be able to have some degree of control in the situation.

Don't be a Dexter, man.
>>
File: 1504846896932.png (287KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1504846896932.png
287KB, 540x489px
>>55374186
Not him but it's stupid because you're treating it like a cut scene in a videogame taking away the players agency simply for your "epic vision".
>>
>>55373847
>In the case of drow
Wait, so the kobold version is different? Can it be mitigated by a sick set of shades?
>>
>>55374204
>emulating another character in personality and skills is just about the most unoriginal thing I can think of
Think about how shitty most homebrew is, then you'll realize that playing an original character would be a downgrade for many people
>>
>>55374188
Direct sunlight is bright light. Indirect sunlight can be dim light, depending on how indirect.
>>
What happens to a tropls severed head if it's carried away from the body and the troll completes a long rest? Do you now have two trolls or no trolls?
>>
>>55374204
My first ever character was supposed to be a discount Natsu, accidentally slipped into just being Natsu but less powerful. I still feel silly to this day over it.
>>
>>55374102
>>55374204
I dunno, my table likes to recreate characters because they find it a hobby (can't think of a better word for this) to theorycraft ways to make characters from other media into DnD's system using the RAW character options provided from the core books and the official supplements. I think I can see that degree of enjoyment from that.
>>
>>55369748
It's just a new set of lair actions and DM carte blanche to give her powerful Weird Magic, minions and unique spells, according to Volo's Guide.
>>
>>55374186
Players want to play their story, not follow your epic novel.
>>
>>55373896
Yes. Exactly. It's a metaphysical affliction. Did you reply to the wrong person?

>>55374218
No, it's just wonky because Drow can easily be justified out because its a metaphysical affliction thing. Kobolds just .. Have sensitive eyes. I feel like they SHOULD be able to get around it as a result, but they have the exact same thing as Drow, just without the mystical allergy.
>>
>>55371315
Merchant.
>>
>>55374213
Holy shit I forgot they had an episode with that in it
>>
>>55374179
Use these
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.de/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
http://slyflourish.com/greenest_in_flames.html
>>
>>55374248
Playing a character that's mechanically inspired by another character is fine. Making Brizz't, the Drow Ranger with a Jaguar and 2 short swords and passing it off as your idea is different
>>
>>55374286
It's funny cause I only recently played DnD when 5e came out (being interested in the game since 3.5e actually but never got around to getting into it till last 2014) and revisiting DnD pop culture related things, I realized how many of my old cartoons and film have DnD references everywhere.
>>
Hoping this isn't thread derailing... long story short, anons, I'm trying to put together a Dark Fantasy setting for 5e inspired by a blend of Warhammer Fantasy across the editions, Ravenloft, Castlevania, Bloodborne and a dash of Dark Souls, Infernum, Castle Falkenstein, Deadlands and Diablo.

Only problem is... I can't come up with a name for the continent I'm using as the setting. You know, like how Warhammer has continents like Khemri, Lustria and Naggaroth?

Can I get any name suggestions?
>>
>>55374280
No I replied correctly, and if literally changing your shape through magic makes it so you still have said affliction then so would invisibility, the precedence has been set. So we're back to if a player/(you) don't want the affliction don't play Drow.
>>
>>55374214
>>55374213
>>55374271
The cutscene idea was more of a way for me to make the combat short, to "cut to the chase". As I previously said, I understand that I was in the wrong.

I reacted to this last post (>>55373506) because I thought the reasoning of Strahd killing the cleric was criticized. Apparently, the "cutscene" aspect is what is very wrong to you guys, which I completely understand.

My initial question that I failed to clearly state was the following: how do I make Strahd do this terrible thing (that he would 100% do given the chance), while being the least frustrating possible for my players?
The "cutscene" idea was a mistake on my part, I agree.
>>
>>55374332
Grendleheim
>>
>fucked it up

>>55374349
>>he doesn't want to play Brizzt Bro'Urden, double fisting natty lite and chilling with his dawg.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 283x438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 283x438px
>>55374367
>quoted the wrong one
Today is not my day to meme, I guess.
>>
>>55374332
Run through names from those series into this:

http://donjon.bin.sh/name/markov.html

You'll get something. I mean you're making a setting based on those so why not get a markov chain out of those? I threw in Yharnam, Lordran, Drangelic and Lothric and I got these:

Yhraric
Lothara
Lothanam
Yhram
Dric
Lothraran
Lothang
Yhanang
Yhram

Now I can use those in my Soulsborne inspired setting and have fun times.
>>
>>55374213
Except Hold Person is all about that shit. If they fail their saves, oh well.
>>
File: 1486182135671.jpg (11KB, 195x175px) Image search: [Google]
1486182135671.jpg
11KB, 195x175px
>>55371326
>>You have to roll to cook your rations, if you roll a 1 you lose 1 hp permanently, if you roll a 20 you gain 1 hp permanently, "The legend" can roll 3 times and pick the better number
>>
File: Screenshot_20170913-165847.png (444KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170913-165847.png
444KB, 1440x2560px
>>55374349
>>55374367
>>55374382
It's ok anon I'm at least laughing
>>
>>55374344
Do what mangaka or anime studios do to set up a characters' power level: send a jobber in to take the fall. Is there an NPC in Barovia that came off as strong to them? Send him in and let him get shat on by Strahd. At the same time, give players a chance to save the NPC too but the fact an NPC they perceived as strong is getting played by the BBEG is gonna let them feel his power and you, the DM, can have fun going full-ass on this NPC as well and do your "cutscene" that is you controling Strahd and this NPC and at the same time, still give players agency to act.
>>
>>55371326
>he didn't use "The legend" as every tutorial npc ever
>he didn't die for doing a stupid thing to teach the newbies that stupid actions have consequences
>>
>>55374212
It's a weaker version and I did it first. It's also pretty fluffy considering the sub class has a close connection to manipulating spells.
>>
>>55374245
It's ok, anon. We were all new guys at one point. My first character was a Monk nicknamed Snake who was also a master of surviving in the wild.

>>55374248
I'd say that's justified in this particular case, it's just for fun. Making your OC donut steele character who's actually a great value Rambo, though, is a whole another story.
>>
>>55370868
Ringwall forifications, trade stalls
>>
>>55371326
>trying to find another person to go eat a 28" pizza with to get a $500 reward
>YOU GOTTA COOK YOUR RATIONS
>GREASY PLATE
Anon stop you're hurting me
>>
Is ToA comfy as fuck?
>>
>>55374455
The idea of lore wizard element swapping isn't inherently broken if there's a cost to it. Something like "You may pay an additional amount of sorcery points to change the element of the spell. The cost equals the level of the spell." would help balance it out.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170908-160420.png (751KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170908-160420.png
751KB, 1080x1920px
God I love this magic item so much

Ghost Bro!
>>
>>55374290
Do these exist for other campaigns?
>>
>>55374356
Hmm, that's not a bad name at all. Thanks! I'm going to keep my options open if other anons have suggestions, but I may as well ask for the other continents whilst I'm here:

I have a grim northern continent that's home to civilised Viking Rus-inspired orcs and dwarves that live in flying cities (amongst others).

I have an obligatory Oriental region.

I have a pseudo-African southern continent, which is more Conan-inspired (save for the dominant power being, essentially, Chaotic Neutral Slaaneshi Gnolls).

Finally, I have a Deadlands-esque "Weird West" continent, where the powers from the "Old World" are colonizing the new despite the various monsters and other difficulties in their way.

>>55374384
Hmm, that could be helpful too. Thanks.
>>
>>55374344
Strahd would grapple the Cleric on one hand, a player in the other, fly up into the sky 500 feet and ask the players to choose which one he drops.
Then he drops both
>>
>>55374521
How about you read and find out.
>>
I want to pick a Life Domain Theurgy Wizard.

I want to do this because my party of 5 players is basically all new to the game other than myself (and the DM), and two of them want to play a War Cleric (he wanted to make a Simon Belmont character...I personally thought Paladin would be better for that but whatever) and a Death Cleric.

I was initially going to do an Abjuration Wizard, but then I realized that if I change to Life Domain Theurgy, then the two clerics will get to go hog wild in what they actually want to do, which I'm pretty sure isn't heal, while I get to stay in the Wizard class and heal the party anyways since I really don't mind "wasting" my turns and slots on healing.

Do you think I've got a reasonable case to present to my DM, /5eg/? Also, please point out any blatantly OP things regarding this so I can assure the DM that I have no plans on abusing them. I'm already quite aware of the bullshit that is using spell mastery for my healing spells, and so if we happen to level that far I know to avoid that already.
>>
Is the first act of SKT as bad as it seems? Am I just better off letting the party start at 3 and skipping all of this?
>>
>>55374657
you're overthinking this

play what you want, not what the party needs

just be ready to drop the party when things go south
>>
>>55374657
It seems a good idea and gives them a chance to shine, I don't see an issue.
>>
>>55374657
>Also, please point out any blatantly OP things regarding this so I can assure the DM that I have no plans on abusing them
Is your dm really such a crybaby that he doesn't allow optimizing, even if your intent is to protect the noobs?
>>
>>55374657
>point out OP stuff

Well, you're a wizard. Healing can't be OP really, and even if it could it will make all the noobs feel like heroes so they can come back.
>>
I'm planning on allowing all of the UAs but without multiclassing, even for core. Is it a good idea or terrible idea?
>>
>>55374332
If you want random names just make anagrams from memes.
That Guy --> Guthyat
>>
>>55374811
Outside of Nomad mystic, nuclear twilight druid and Lore Wizard it's fine if you don't allow multiclassing.
>>
>>55374606
So is that a yea or a nah
>>
Best unarmed barbarian homebrew?
>>
>>55374688
but...it is kinda what I want anon? I've never played a wizard before so I'd definitely like to give it a shot, but at the same time letting the new players really get into the flavor they want is important to me so. i definitely am over thinking it though, I spend most of my time theorycrafting this stupid game because it's fun for me

>>55374738
It's more that I don't want to do that. He's not new to the game, but it will be his first time DMing (he's actually a player in one of my campaigns), and so I don't see a reason to cause his game to run any less smoothly than it can. I'm hoping to do everything I can to make sure it does, desu

>>55374801
Spell Mastery for a Life Domain Theurgist means that I'd be a walking talking limitless healing font. I don't want to trivialize his game like that.
>>
>>55374891
>18th level feature
You will never get to use this feature. Don't even think about stuff past level 14 or so when making a character.
>>
Alright my guys, I can produce one comic based off one transformation that is RAW allowed to happen. Which transformation would you guys like to see visualized?
Can I even spoiler on this board?
>>
>>55374891
>Spell Mastery for a Life Domain Theurgist means that I'd be a walking talking limitless healing font.
Yes, but at level fucking 18 1d8+4 health even every turn is not an awful lot.
>>
Gonna be doing Tomb of Annihilation pretty soon, stuck on what I'll play though. The Seeker patron for Warlocks seems pretty cool, more specifically Astral Refuge, but I'm also kinda digging the idea of doing a War Cleric. I haven't thought about races *too* much, but was considering maybe a Duergar for the Warlock (light sensitivity blows, but Enlarge during Astral Refuge sounds fun), and a Orc for the War Cleric maybe (Agressive seems fun).

Thoughts?
>>
>>55374943
A druid summons 8 pixies than makes them polymorph every single member in the party of 7 into a t-rex. They then storm a dragons lair and tear the poor fucker to shreds.
>>
File: 1498715063955.gif (1MB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
1498715063955.gif
1MB, 268x274px
>>55374987
You can merge polymorph people in 5e RAW?
>>
>>55375019
>merge
7people. 7 t-rexes. What do you not understand?
>>
>>55374891
Are you going to be anywhere near level 18?
>>
>>55374962
Or you can just do it out of combat and negate an entire round of combat.
>>
>>55375057
...I'm really just using that as an example guys. I don't know how we're getting super hung up on that one part of that post
>>
>>55374834
>Nomad mystic
Nothing wrong with them, Nomadic Mind is where the problem is at, and all Orders can take it
>>
>>55374811
Drop anything with the word psionics in it, ban lore wizard.
>>
Hey, anons? Anyone got a clear idea of the 5e familiars that've been added since the Find Familiar spell first came out? I know the Al'miraj in ToA is one, but didn't some come out in Volo's Guide too?
>>
>>55374834
>>55375081
>>55375134
Cool, thanks heaps bros.
Psionics seem really interesting but understandably seem extremely fiddly.
Is lore wizard really that strong?
>>
>>55375161
Anything can be your familiar if you can convince the DM.
>>
>>55375166
>Is lore wizard really that strong?
It's a shitty cheese class that even WOTC admitted was a mistake
>>
>>55375166
>Can cast any spell you have spell slots for once a day starting level 14
>can tailor a spell's save to target a target's weakest stat and also increase the DC by 2
>or give it a mile of range
Yes.
>>
>>55375161
There's a tiny beholder-y thing in volo's, the Gazer maybe?
>>
>>55375199
>change the damage type of every spell to force damage for free
>>
File: 1329178030523.jpg (28KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1329178030523.jpg
28KB, 320x320px
>>55370441
>I wish my players had initiative and confidence to be DM.

After we finished my last campaign I told my players they would each DM a one shot whilst I took a break. They could write it themselves or find one to run.

It revealed some potential DMs and some terrible DMs. But most importantly they all appreciate my 'side of the screen' more.
>>
File: 1483732214481.gif (2MB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
1483732214481.gif
2MB, 500x391px
>the lawful good paladin of torm refuses to share the loot he finds
>>
>>55375161
Ton in Volos.

Gazer, Cranium rat, Psudodragon

Off the top of my head velicorators and Tressyms too
>>
>>55375230
What's his reasoning?
>>
>>55375230
Why are you playing with strangers? I say this because if you're friends with the guy doing this, you can tell him to knock it off
>>
>>55375166
Cast magic missile and use a level 1 spellslot to empower it. 1d4+1+2d20 force damage per arrow with no save. Now tell me if it is strong or not
>>
File: sadfrog time.jpg (53KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog time.jpg
53KB, 550x366px
>>55369639
Do you guys ever put shit in your d&d campaigns that wouldn't be in the time period? I do all the time. Putting windows in peasant homes and same with mirrors, heating and cooling mechanisms that are far too advanced, etc...
>>
What alignment would a Raven Queen Warlock have, if he is extremely loyal to her and follows her beliefs without exception? Lawful good or neutral?
>>
So all my players are friends and new to RPGs in general. Playing a rogue, cleric, sorcerer, and bard, are there any UA archetypes I should recommend to them? I'm not very experienced with 5e myself (played about 7 sessions as a Warrior) and want to make sure they don't get upset at being underpowered.
>>
Are there any kind of variant rules for considering the heritage of a tiefling, ie the type of demon or devil, and getting different racial bonuses based on that? I unironically want to play a tiefling thief with the bloodline of a succubus, who uses her charms and wiles to get into highly secure places and disarms guards without having to resort to combat.

Like, pretty much pic related, out of the official book. I had in mind an arcane trickster using Charm Person and illusion magic and whatnot, combined with a very high Charisma. Perhaps a level in Warlock with Fiendish Patron and a Chain Pact, with a little quasit as her sidekick.

The stock Tiefling stats are great and do serve, so I'm not complaining there, but I was curious if there are any rules that would help me enhance this kind of character.
>>
>>55375380
It'll be hard to get the stats to support AT + warlock, but you do you
>>
>>55375404
That's why he's here he wants to know if there's a way to cheese it with a "variant" for Tiefling
>>
Can someone with a ToA hardcover tell me if there is anything about ship travel out of port Nyanzaru? Even something as small as ship travel speeds would be great.
>>
File: martial-options.pdf (374KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
martial-options.pdf
374KB, 1x1px
>>55373871
How do you feel about the idea that has been tossed around of just removing battlemaster and giving it's abilities to Fighter overall?
What do you think about the PDF I have here? Think it's fair?
>>
>>55375404
I'm not too worried about optimization, as this is more of a roleplaying campaign than being super killy. Unless you think the combination is too far in the opposite direction and would just be non-functional?
>>
>>55375440
That is a terrible idea.
>>
Does Beyond at least do the decency of including UA in it's character builder, or are Curse and WotC not even that competent?
>>
>>55375300
No reason as far as I know.

>>55375318
I've tried telling him off lightly but he doesn't seem to notice it's fucking annoying.
>>
>>55375495
And why do you think so?
>>
>Criminal is having fun and pulling heists with his underground network
>Paladin is living it up fighting undead with his OotG bros
>Harper is hoarding magic items and doing covert ops shit against the Zhents
>Hermit monk "Im uhhh... meditating I guess"

Hermit a shit
>>
Is lycanthropy too powerful for a player? I really want to be a were creature but I don't want to ask that of my DM if it would imbalance things too much.
>>
>>55375380
Only the Abyssal vs. Diabolic Tiefling rules in Unearthed Arcana and the alternate racial trait rules in SCAG.

Luckily, you already get +2 Charisma, so you can just take the Devil's Tongue alternate racial trait, which trades out your fiery spells from Infernal Legacy for Vicious Mockery, Charm Person, and Enthrall, say that you're an alu-fiend tiefling, and you're good to go.
>>
>>55375230
Literally have Torm appear to him in his dreams and tell him to knock it the fuck off, and If he doesn't get his ass in line take away his magic.

Paladins are bitch boys.
>>
>>55375552
In addition to limiting options at character creation, it also destroys the purpose of Champion (that being it's simplicity) while giving EK way too many options on top of it's spells.
>>
>>55375596
Yes, you get way too many damage immunities unfortunately. One thing you could do is create a PC thats obsessed with lycanthropy have him go out of his way to get it, since it can be transferred
>>
>>55375166
Strength Hold Person, auto fail all subsequent saves because they're paralyzed.
>>
>>55375608
Thanks, I'll take a look!

I know this is jumping headfirst into troll territory, but might there be anything worth looking at in the old 3.X books that could be converted? I know the Book of Erotic Fantasy is pretty cringeworthy, but I'm sure there'd be something related to succubi in there.
>>
>>55375643
That's basically how I would have gone about. I wouldn't want it right off the bat, but later in game.
>>
>>55375590
You should be bashing heads philosophically with others, and being a general menace.
>>
>>55375440
I like the anatomic combat stuff, and the new actions in combat like feint and stuff. Might use some of it, maybe some of the feat changes too. Won't do anything with combat dice, I don't think fighters are underpowered enough to really need tweaking.
>>
>>55375596
You ca go with what >>55375643 suggests, but keep in mind that a little fluff goes a long way. All you need to do is play barbearian and instead of raging, you "transform" when you're overcome with excitement and bloodlust.
>>
>>55375596
Yes. I played in a shitty game where someone was a wererat, and took no damage from 95% of everything in the book. If you don't change the encounters to fit it ruins the game. If you make every enemy a wizard it ruins the game. Unless you're using entirely different mechanics for lycanthopy it's 100% unfun for a campaign.
>>
>>55375696
Oh I think UA added a wolf totem for barb.
>>
>>55375847
Wolf Totem is in the PHB. It's pretty good, too, although Bear is kinda tough to beat.
>>
Is ToA probably their best yet?
>>
How about ToA and the great work of Chris Perkins you guys. I think we should give a big round of applause for that amazing guy, wherever he might be.
Who knows, maybe he could be posting right now, not that I would know.
>>
How to make water levels fun?
>>
>>55375966
Wat.
>>
>>55375899
Oh, that's right. It's tiger and elk that was added.
>>
>>55375906
I wouldn't know, the fucking pdf hasn't come out
>>
>>55375906
No? Chult is a fun place but the starting area is garbage and you've pretty much got to fill up the entire jungle/ocean/sky yourself. These books should exist to save the DM time, not just provide vague inspiration
>>
>>55375696
A shifter barbearian could work. Shame the shifter has shit ability score adjustments...
>>
>>55376000
You mean Port Nyanzaru?
>>
>>55376032
What is the damage of a razorclaw's unarmed strike?
>>
>>55375530
Not included and you can only do homebrew content for items, monsters, and spells, so you can't even manually create classes, sub-classes, races, backgrounds, or feats.
>>
RAW, when a monster moves out of the reach of a two-weapon-fighting PC, the PC only gets to swing at the monster one time with just one of his weapons, right? I'm pretty sure the rules imply this but want to confirm.
>>
New thread:
>>55376120
>>55376120
>>55376120
>>55376120
>>55376120
>>
Does Arcane Trickster need a focus to ignore material components?
>>
>>55376113
I think it's just a regular unarmed strike, but uses Dex.
>>
>>55376064
Yes, the straightforward stuff in SKT, OoTA or even LMoP are much better ways to start your game
>>
>>55376152
Lame.
>>
>>55375633
How does it limit options? You are giving every fighter subclass more options, which means that picking something other than Battlemaster is worthwhile.
>>
>>55372769
You aren't going to be able to Hold Person everyone

Not only does Strahd not even have Hold Person, he only has a 5th slot so at most he can target 4 people with Hold Person.

Good luck having all 4 fail their save AND EVERY SUBSEQUENT TURN
>>
>>55372769
Forcing a party death is never a good thing.
Thread posts: 365
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.