[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you start a campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: hobby.png (73KB, 1334x472px) Image search: [Google]
hobby.png
73KB, 1334x472px
What are your favorite ways to start a campaign besides 'you all meet in a tavern'? Post your top three, rate others.

Mine:
>You're all at a public hanging, someone is passing out rotten fruit and you're expected to begin throwing.
>You're all in a chain gain being lead to a mass grave, one of you has already picked the lock to their anklet.
>You're all in a waiting room at a loan shark's office for the same reason, but different loans.
>>
My campaigns tend to be pretty specific. My favorite so far is
>you're on a ship transporting cargo across a narrow sea and are being boarded by pirates. Player A, B and C are on the cargo ship. Player D, you're enroute to boarding.
>>
>>55373248
>You all get anonymous letters from someone with proof of embarrassing/dangerous secrets from your past, plus a time and a place for a blackmail meeting
>showing up to the meeting, you all encounter each other, plus a corpse with a knife in his back
>>
I start a campaign by running 3 self-contained adventures to make sure everyone has stable schedules and to put down some groundwork.
>>
>>55373422
Man, I love Clue.
>>
I'm starting my homebrew campaign with the party watching the yearly tournament.
>>
You meet inside John.
>>
I'm hoping to start a Starfinder campaign shortly. I'd like some feedback/criticism on my opening.

>Each PC starts on Absalom Station, but independent of one another.
>They each, individually and apparently coincidentally, are witness to a different Android committing suicide in public.
>Each PC is given opportunity to finish their day after the incident in anyway they like.
>The next day, each PC is ordered by authority to make a witness statement, in person, at an investigative council.
>The PCs meet for the first time at said council.
>>
Please respond.
>>
do what good old Martin does.

You are responding to someone else, must make a choice from said response. The world does the same. Then continue that, raising stakes and adding in twists and turns and allowing people to pay for their mistakes until the game ends and everyone is sated or dead.

Every narrative action has an equal and opposite reaction. As DM I make the first action, as players you must respond, even if said response is to do nothing and fuck off to the woods. If a shady contact calls you to meet with him and you don't then thats a good a start as 'we meet all our friends in a tavern'.

Side note, if everyone but you shows up to the thing its obvious were the story is going, so make a new character or get with the program. I also have a lovely door you are free to pass through to the wonderful outdoors.

Yes I am a railroading asshole, if more people have fun getting involved with a cultist then fucking off into the woods then we are going to do that. We got limited time, we ain't doing both(unless we can seamlessly weave them together of course).
>>
>>55373248
I'm curious in all three cases, what happens next, how do you "give them" the quest?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.