[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Lore Thread: Huatlie is Cute, CUTE Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 49

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/question-confidence-2017-09-13

Today's lore is about our New Walker, Huatli. I am staying optimistic that she will be better than the Speedster OC Samut. Also we meet the Minotaur Walker Captain too.
>>
>>55368076
>that feeling you get when MtG will never again release a W/B vampire conquistador planeswalker you that you can colonize new worlds vicariously.
>>
>>55368076
Minotaur Walker? Sorry, but could I get a pic?
>>
Angrath looks pretty fucking cool
>>
>>55368208
>tfw Baron Sengir wont appear in this set.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_weXjTsUDCD.jpg (235KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_weXjTsUDCD.jpg
235KB, 850x500px
>>55368220

Say hello to Angrath.
>>
>>55368262
Hello.
>>
I can't help but feel bad for Angrath. He just found another planeswalker after God knows how long, and when he tries to talk it out with Huatli, she responds with her sword.
>>
>>55368300
Probably because the dude's MO is burning and destroying the entire plane because he feels like it.
>>
>>55368300
Well, he did try and murderize her before he asked. It's a pretty reasonable reaction. Of anything, he needed to back off first and talk more before offering his hand. More surprising is that he didn't recognize that she clearly just sparked, since she was confused after trying to planeswalk in a life or death situation.
>>
File: dread-pirate-roberts.png (341KB, 638x352px) Image search: [Google]
dread-pirate-roberts.png
341KB, 638x352px
>>55368262
Correction: Say hello to the DREAD PIRATE ANGRATH.

I can't believe you've done this wizards, I'm going to read all of his lines in Carey Elwes voice from now on fuck
>>
>>55368076
>>55368262
I had a feeling. The random Minotau on the packaging was too out of place otherwise. Wonder if he's just Red or Red/Black
>>
File: BYbQolHCEAAjUS_.png (240KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
BYbQolHCEAAjUS_.png
240KB, 599x337px
>>55368427
>not reading them in pic related's voice
>>
I kinda like how she mistook kaladesh for her own golden city.
>>
File: dinosaurknight.jpg (278KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaurknight.jpg
278KB, 850x850px
>>55368076
Huatli has potential, to be sure. Seemingly more than the last few native PWs we've seen. I am interested to see how her character arc unfolds, at least, which is enough for now.

Can we talk about how the last two stories have been credited to "R&D Narrative Team" though? I appreciated knowing when a story was gonna be good (Michael Yichao) and when a story was gonna be less than that (basically anybody but Yichao).
>>
>>55368607
I think it's a bit odd that her Spark tried to take her to Kaladesh, though I see why they did for story contrivence.

Would have been neat if she saw City of Brass instead.
>>
>>55368486
RB is my guess. The "Dread Fleet" pirate cards we've seen so far are RB.
>>
>>55368712
She's a creative person at heart, so I guess it makes sense
>>
File: SunEmpireeh.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
SunEmpireeh.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>55368710
goa'uld?
>>
>>55368262
Could he be from Theros maybe?
>>
>>55368823
Seems likely. Maybe Wizards just wanted to rip off God of War?
>>
>>55368710
>Can we talk about how the last two stories have been credited to "R&D Narrative Team" though? I appreciated knowing when a story was gonna be good (Michael Yichao) and when a story was gonna be less than that (basically anybody but Yichao).

They talk about it on twitter, I'm on the same page. I wante to know what Ken Tropp will write so I can skip the others.
>>
>>55368823
Doubtful. Might be from another plane, but he's definitely not an Amonkhet mino
>>
>>55368823
Theros minotaurs are not intelligent, they are more bestial in the "classic monster" sense.

Hopefully Angrath is from either A) Dominaria or B) somewhere new.
>>
>>55368862
Link?
>>
>>55368262
>Angrath
>Literally a portmanteau of Anger + Wrath

WotC creative team, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>55368076
The anatomy on that pterosaur looks...odd. Like it's just a guy in a suit.

Something about the shoulders and the legs, I think.
>>
>>55368904
>>55368949
Well, I mean its also in line with a previous minotaur naming scheme in Tahngarth, so he might be from Dominaria.
>>
>>55368984
I'm not sure on the anatomy, but it does look weirdly flesh and static. Not like its diving or swooping or landing or anything.
>>
>>55368905
I don't remeber who it was, maybe Kelly Diggs or Alison.
>>
File: angrathwithoutaspark.jpg (303KB, 1181x863px) Image search: [Google]
angrathwithoutaspark.jpg
303KB, 1181x863px
>>55368904
pensive minotaur?
>>
>>55369170
They're stupid brutes who kill amd eat. If Angrath was from Theros, he wouldn't stop at the sight of Huatli sparking
>>
>>55368823
Didn't Zendikar have Minotaurs and chain mages?
>>
>>55369378

Yes. It has both.
>>
>>55368208
>tfw no merfolk planeswalker
>tfw barely any merfolk at all because muh dinos and pirates so awesome!!1!1
>>
>>55369514
Angrath is a minotaur planeswalker, and he's featured on the packaging. They probably just haven't released his card yet.
>>
>>55369553
I want merfolk, not minotaurs. Angrath does seem pretty cool though.
>>
>>55369569
You got Kiora
>>
>>55368076
>That monkey
>Cute
Commit Sudoku
>>
>>55369594
Fair enough. I just want Standard Merfolk to be a thing.
>>
>>55369594
Whom they kept out of the Gatewatch because the writers can't competently maintain a supporting cast, so we probably won't be hearing from her again until Return to Battle for Zendikar III.
>>
>"Do you write poetry, Wayta?"

>The girl looked down, visibly embarrassed. "It's not good enough to share."

>Huatli bent down so the rest of the small (and growing) crowd wouldn't hear. "Would you like to know a secret?"

>Wayta looked at Huatli in wonder.

>Huatli gave her an honest smile in return. "There are only two types of poems in the world. Poems that are good, and poems that are honest. Poetry that is good is clever, and anyone can be clever if they try hard enough. But poetry that is honest has magic in it; the ability to let other people feel what you feel is a very powerful magic indeed."

>Huatli continued. "If you think your work isn't ready to share, don't try to make it good. Try to make it honest."

>She winked.

>And Wayta grinned from ear to ear.

;_;
>>
>suddenly discover your spark after a traumatic event of some nature and end up planeswalking
>doing something that has to feel so right and amazing, an action your body has never felt but enjoys immensely, discovering the existence of other worlds
>your first world locks you on its shores, leaving whatever caused the trauma of your spark ignition inaccessible and leaving you to only work with pirates
>you will probably never see your home or loved ones again, and probably left them getting killed or horribly attacked
>become a dread pirate in desperate search of the relic of the sun
>run into another planeswalker, the first you've met
>because you fought back after they attacked your surveying ship, she'll never be willing to work with you and help you understand the strange skill you can't even use anymore
I definitely like Angrath more than Huatli.
>>
>>55369753
Do we have any reason to believe Ixalan is Angrath's first plane?
>>
>>55368710
What is her shtick? Talking to dinosaurs?
>>
>>55370042
He came to a plane, instinctively called a dinosaur a dragon when more experienced planeswalkers might hesitate naming something like that, and it seems like WotC prefers newer walkers to more experienced ones. Half of that is me just thinking he's more sympathetic if the first or second place he ever walked to locked him there.
>>
>>55370042
On one hand he thought Dinos were Dragons, so it's as if he can't grasp the concept that other worlds have different animals. On the other hand if it's his first world, how would he know walkers can leave and it's not just a one off thing anyway?
>>
>>55370238
Maybe he had a visit at his own home plane? Happens often enough.
>>
>>55370238
He might have just recognized the symbol over Hautl as the one that appeared over him, or he was on a world where people knew about planeswalkers. If he was from zendikar (which has black chain magic, minotaurs and dragons) he might have been around for bfz and seen the gatewatch.
>>
>>55370135
At her core, she's a creative soul, both in writing poetry to inspire her people and in combating her foes by inspiring fervor in her dinosaur friends. The story seems to imply that in seeking Orazca, she may get in touch with Green mana, as befitting the mythology behind the Threefold Sun.
>>
File: warriorpoet.jpg (187KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
warriorpoet.jpg
187KB, 850x500px
>>55369658
I can get behind characterization and writing like that. Huatli and Ixalan in general give me hope for the future of Magic. Fragile hope, but still.
>>
>>55368076
>>55368607
>>55368710
I'm kinda interested in why she (would have) planeswalked to Kaladesh first. True, its there for narrative reasons to be mistaken for a golden city, but the first plane a walker goes to usually signifies something about them. For Ajani going to Jund it was because of his anger.

The story goes over how she never expected to be an explorer, so I assume this to mean that she actually has a desire for wonder and excitement, except because expectations she suppressed this.
>>
>>55370277
I think the symbol over the head is less about planeswalking and more about whatever magic in the plane is preventing planeswalking.
>>
>>55368208
>>55369514
>wanting duplicates of planeswalkers we already have
>>
>>55368710
I think the big thing to me, is that she has a desire for adventure. Mtg has said that planeswalker characters are made with them appearing on other planes in mind. However the two of the three kaladesh planeswalkers we got (Saheeli and Dovin) just stayed on their plane. Why be a planeswalker when you aren't going to planeswalk?
>>
>>55368262
So is it safe to assume that Angrath wont be appearing until rivals of Ixalan? Theres already three walkers, but weve had large sets with 4 in the recent past. I just want to know if its worth it to get my hopes up or not
>>
>>55371788
Angrath's on the packaging for Ixalan, so I assume he's probably going to be in the first set. Wouldn't make sense to show off his art and then not make him a card.
>>
>>55368262
Definitely related to Tahngrath. The name is far too similar to not be.

Current headcanon is that Angrath is a Dominiaria native who's first planeswalk was Zendikar, where he learned the chain magic combat shit.

Also, 110% he's RB.
>>
>>55369170
>>55369359
Also I mean he literally ppsted an image of a theros minotaur. They have bestial hindquarters and distinct faces (usually its inconsistent on some, but usually they have flatter faces than a normal bull). Angrath has an actual bull head on a seemingly normal man body. So its not a theros minotaur or an amonkhet minotaur (obviously, though he is built like one with a totally human body)
>>
>>55371853
Actually I just gave Angrath a second look and his face does look less exactly like an actual bull than I thought. Also he has a red scottish beard.
>>
>>55371735
That's what bugs me the nost, when they have someone planeswalk and then go right back after seconds or,never leave at all thanks to autism.

It would have been neat if Saheeli and Dovin had wound up on different technologically inclined planes, influencing their style. Maybe Dovin wound up on Esper and has inspired by the Aetherium structures there, making him want tp do impossibly thing and breezy designs while also pursuing cybernetics body parts. Hell, have him build himself two extra arms because the Veldalken on Esper have 4.

Saheeli is a similar case. Could have easily sent her to Ravnica and have her focus more,on energy production or flying machines after encountering Izzet artificers.

Either way, it's something that really paints their experience as a planesworker and helps set them apart from a normal legendary character. Without going somewhere else, a Planeswalker is just a charactet that's marked Extra, Extra Legendary because the writers don't know how to make people care otherwise I guess.
>>
>>55371788
Maro has said rule they follow for planeswalkers is that they want to potentially have every color represented around one time in a block. A multicolor card represents half of a color.

So Amonkhet had
white: 1.0 (gideon)
blue: 1.0 (nissa and bolas)
black: 1.5 (liliana and bolas)
red: 1.0 (bolas and Samut)
Green: 1.0 (nissa and Samut)

But they tend to avoid similar colors in one set, so Angrath will most likely appear in Rivals of Ixalan. Not 100% sure, but considering we already have Huatli I would not count on it.

That said, it's pretty likely that angrath will be red black, considering the color spread so far.
>>
>>55368904
Possible he's from Ravnica. We only have 3 native Ravnican walkers, which is as many as fucking Kaladesh.
>>
>>55371852
Even his head and bodyshape look more similar to Tahngrath than to Theros' Minotaurs
>>
>>55371920
I think the problwm is that Wizards can barely even write for the cast of 5 characters they have now. They constantly make new characters and fucking forget them. If you ask the writing team who Domri, Tibalt, Ashiok are, I guarantee you they won't fucking know.

In any case, you're reminding me how much I want to return to Alara.
>>
>>55371990
Problem is tahngarth has bull legs. But maybe its just inconsistency.
>>
>>55371920
I agree with you completely. It's not like they can't come up with reasons for them to travel. Sorin's story was almost completely bound to Innistrad, but the writers found ways for him to appear in other sets.

I really like the idea of the different styles of artificiery. I also think is pretty necessary, since we have 5 different planeswalkers that are specialized in artificiery of some kind, so having them be different from one another should be a priority.

Another case of this is Samut. She is most likely bound to her plane, because she wants to take care of her people, reasonable, but why make her then a planeswalker? It's like Dovin, they fulfill a necessary position in their society, they have no real reason to leave. Saheeli is at least free-spirited enough that once Kaladesh recovers she might go exploring the multiverse, but the writers really could have just made them legendary creatures and nothing would have changed.
>>
>>55371816
It could just be artwork from a spell that happens to have him in the picture. It wouldnt shock me if they did that
>>
>>55371345
Honestly, I dont think theres any reason walkers happen to go to planes related to them or their ideas other than sheer coincidence and writing convenience. I dont think its ever been said first walks have any significance.
>>
Wow these two walkers are much more interesting than Samut.
>>
>>55372053
People are posting two theories as to why she's a walker: either she's going to look for a way to evacuate the survivors of Naktamun from Amonkhet, or she's searching for mages strong enough to reform the gods. The second one assumes that the gods' deaths released the plane's mana back into it after Bolas arrived.

Can I just take a moment to bitch about how mangled Samut's presentation was? She's a surprisingly solid character with good interactions with the rest of the story she's in, but all of the space to properly set her up got eaten by irrelevant bullshit with Nissa. I can't believe that they made a strong side-focus character for the first time since BfZ and Tazri, and then blew it.

Fuck.
>>
>>55372451
So she's going to go to Theros with Gideon I guess.
>>
>>55370931
Ixalan feels like a specific fix to the common complaints that've been levied about recently.
Maybe they actually ARE listening.
>>
>>55372896
Well I mean, they did restructure their R&D.
>>
I'm still waiting for Saheeli, Samut, and Hautli to team up and be Firecat bitches together.
>>
File: Angrath.png (2MB, 1646x918px) Image search: [Google]
Angrath.png
2MB, 1646x918px
So Angrath is definitely a Zendikari Minotaur right?
>>
>>55373018
Eh, given how similar his name is to Tahngarth, I feel like he might be native to Dominiaria as a member of his clan.

He's definitely been to Zulaport on Zendikar though, probably spent a lot of time there. But I don't want to chalk the name thing up to coincidence just yet.
>>
>>55373110
His name is just Anger + Wrath though. That might be coincidence. Also I don't think we have any named minotaurs on Zendikar to check him against unfortunately.
>>
>Angrath was back on his feet, scowling as much as his face would allow.
>Angrath was grinning as much as a bull-headed man could grin.
I know this only happens twice in the story, but they come so close together that it seems really clumsy.
>>
>>55373110
Perhaps he's a Dominarian minotaur that first walked to Zendikar, learned shit there but didn't go to many (if any) other planes, then panic-walked when the Eldrazi awoke which lead to him getting stuck on Ixalan.
>>
>>55372006
>If you ask the writing team who Domri, Tibalt, Ashiok are, I guarantee you they won't fucking know.
And honestly they'd be better off for it. Way to pick three of the most awful side character walkers.
>>
>>55373203
it isn't as bad as the story in Hour of Devastation where the Alison Luhrs used "Marauding Mummy" EVERY SINGLE TIME SHE TALKED ABOUT THE ZOMBIES:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-promise-2017-06-28
>>
>>55373203
Grumpy Minotaur dude who's given up hope of getting home is pissed off he's losing the fight.

Grumpy Minotaur becomes less grumpy when he realizes that there are other planeswalkers here who might be able to help him get home.

or is it the use of almost the same metaphor that's clumsy?
>>
>>55373352
Holy shit. 9 times. She couldn't find a different adjective.
>>
>>55373366
It's the "express emotion as much as x could" repetition.

Not a big deal, but it pricked my autism senses.
>>
>>55368712
They've basically said they're never going to Rabiah for IP reasons.
>>
>>55371852
>>55371990
It's a little thing, but that's TahngARth, which is less overtly Anglo-Saxon than Angrath. But Dominaria had multiple cultures, and I think Tahngarth was from not-Africa.
>>
>>55373352
I don't know if I have it in me to ever feel bad about my prose again after reading this. This woman is paid money to write, and she has superiors that approved this.
>>
>>55368076
I'm really annoyed by this spoiler because it's all
>muh warrior-poet
She feels so completely entitled to the title that I love the emperor for cock-blocking her
>>
>>55373490
She's paid money to market a product to a target audience. Short-story-length ad copy isn't pretty.
>>
>>55373523
She reminds me of Anakin.

"HOW CAN YOU BE A WARRIOR POET AND NOT BE THE WARRIOR-POET!"
>>
File: droid attack on the wookies.jpg (54KB, 640x272px) Image search: [Google]
droid attack on the wookies.jpg
54KB, 640x272px
>>55373557
>What about the pirate attack on the merfolk?
>>
File: grasping-current-61840-medium.jpg (58KB, 243x348px) Image search: [Google]
grasping-current-61840-medium.jpg
58KB, 243x348px
>>55373703
>Go, I will. Good relations with the Merfolk, I have.
>>
So do we have any idea why it seems that Ixalan is trapping walkers? Or how? Seems like this should cause both a lot of walkers on the plane (since if they get there, accident or otherwise, theyre then stuck, and anybody there who sparks can't leave), as well as provide an artifact or key that can fuck with planeswalking and the Spark, which is undoubtedly a handy thing.
>>
What would happen if the Eldrazi came to Ixilan?

Would they get stuck there?
>>
>>55371816
MaRo confirmed that there are only three walkers in Ixalan (Vraska, Jace and Huatli)
>>
>>55373815
It's something to do with an artifact called the Immortal Sun, concealed in the Golden City.
>>
>>55373868
perhaps at first, but they would have been free when they destroyed it, since I don't think the seal can survive without the plane
>>
>>55373938
Following
>>55371927
the next set will probably have Angrath as a black/red, which would leave open a white/green Ajani
>>
>>55373989
What if you put the Immortal Sun within powerful hedrons?
>>
>>55373868
The Eldrazi stay outside the plane and insert portions of themselves into the plane to feed. They live in the blind eternities, rather than planeswalking.
Depending on HOW this stuff works, either they'd get whatever parts of themselves stuck (which is not that big of a loss, if need be they can just leave that bit behind - assuming they don't just stay and do their business with the plane anyways) or it may not do anything at all.
>>
>>55373995
why would Ajani come to Ixalan? He can't know where Jace planeswalked after having his mind fried by Bolas
>>
>>55374019
Because he's on the boosters of the second set
>>
File: 636168028310580519.png (943KB, 876x764px) Image search: [Google]
636168028310580519.png
943KB, 876x764px
>>55374019
No idea but he's on the leaked art. Maybe they just had the art for his Dominara card lying around when they put this together.
>>
>>55373319
Theyre awful side characters because none of them got any focus at all whatsoever.
>>
>>55373938
Got a screenshot? I expect him in the next set for balance but I haven't seen that confirmation.
>>
File: legionslanding.jpg (47KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
legionslanding.jpg
47KB, 265x370px
>>55373703
>>55373780
>A communications disruption can mean only one thing...
>Invasion.
>>
>>55371920
>>55372053
My niggas, I feel the same. At the moment I'm casually optimistic about this set. Hope it's at 38.6%
>>
>>55368076
Did Huatli summon her dinos as casting them or using her ability?
>>
Ability. In the same way Jace summons his illusions or Nissa her elementals.
>>
>>55374365
Using her ability
>>
File: ed thatch.jpg (1MB, 2645x3186px) Image search: [Google]
ed thatch.jpg
1MB, 2645x3186px
>>55368262
>smoking horns
Yeah, this is definitely Angrath. He's even rocking that Blackbeard look and everything.
>>
File: mtg_by_amberharrisart-dbh7o0o.png (694KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
mtg_by_amberharrisart-dbh7o0o.png
694KB, 618x800px
>Finally catch up on Amonkhet's story articles
>Entire chapter and a half of Hapatra riding a basilisk through locusts, fighting zombies, saving kids, fighting the Scorpion God, crying about ded Gods
>Not a single piece of art besides her own card
>Samut depicted in seven cards besides her two namesake card
What the fuck is wrong with wizards' art department?
>>
>>55374589
Hapatra should have been the planeswalker. She was great.
>>
>>55374658
Really disappointed she and Samut weren't friends instead of Djeru.
>>
>>55374700
>Djeru
This character was a mistake.
>>
>>55374589
I forget, did Hapatra stay in Naktamun? Or did she leave with Hazoret?
>>
>>55372006
I don't know, a lot of fans got very quickly sick of the gatewatch. I think we got used to a form of storytelling in magic, where there really isn't a main cast, so them expanding on minor characters might be necessary.
>>
>>55374752
She left with Hazoret.
>>
>>55372564
Mentor Gideon and Protégé Samut
Heliod is pleased.
>>
>>55374808
Knowing Gideon's luck, Samut would be kill by the end of Theros.
>>
>>55374830
Win-win.
>>
>>55374752
Gideon showed up and she told him it was his job to fix the plane since he's a planeswalker like Bolas. Made no sense, but I'm just glad she lived. Hopefully in the eventual return to Amonkhet she'll be a -1/-1 counter based Jund Legend or something.
>>
>>55374079
Wait, is that Hautali in conquest of power?
>>
>>55374895
Yes but it also had the key art as the Vraska art instead of the PW art so it might just be what they had on hand at the time. That said I think they made a last minute choice to switch Huatli and Angrath, hence why Angrath is on the packs and Huatli isn't, despite being in the others set.
>>
>>55372564
Gideon's going to not-Rome
Heart broken, morale shattered, he's going to fight in the pits, trying to regain the feeling of fear and pain and rage, never using his invincibility in the vain hope that someone will finally strike him down
Also he goes back to calling himself Kytheon Iora because something something different person
>>
>>55374927
Definitely possible. Wizards like cross over themes and having a new Vampire set while Ixalan is still Standard isnt out of the question.
>>
>>55374927
Nah, he's going to Theros to tie up his origins story and Elspeth.
>>
>>55374969
Dack is gonna deal with Elspeth, Gideon still has new gods to see before he dies
>>
>>55374982
>implying it won't be Dack and Gideon's glorious adventures to save Elspeth.
>>
>>55374999
Reverse Satan speaks the truth.
>>
File: licia.jpg (507KB, 1920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
licia.jpg
507KB, 1920x1120px
>>55374946
I really wouldn't mind them jumping to Licia's plane at some point in Ixalan's standard. Full on Mardu Vampires could be fantastic, and god knows they'll need more vampires to make that tribal deck work with the loss of BFZ and SOI blocks.
>>
>>55374999
The thing is, if Gideon's there, he's going to get a planeswalker card, and if Elspeth is going to be saved she's also going to get a planeswalker card, which probably forces one of them to turn something other than monowhite for set color balance reasons. That probably has some story implications but I'm not sure what.
>>
>>55375129
Just do the first set with Gideon and the second with Elspeth.
>>
File: 1462848904628.jpg (70KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1462848904628.jpg
70KB, 480x360px
>>55374589
>>55374658
Thing is, Hapatra wasn't a speedster.
>>
>>55375149
The fact that all Planeswalkers are required to be naturally gifted magical superheroes now is stupid.

Besides, you don't even get the feeling that Samut is particularly swift from any of her art. Blur of Blades is the only one that really does so, and it's also the only card she looks any good on.
>>
File: 1456641634285.png (425KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1456641634285.png
425KB, 640x360px
>>55375178
It's almost like they try to ape from Marvel success. And it didn't work.
>>
>>55374773
Let me fix that for you, lots of fans got sick of Jace. People were tired of Jace and happy that he won the Guild Pact since we thought it would tie him down to Ravnica for a while. Boy were we wrong. I hope him being gone for so long causes a massive war, and Ravnica is my favorite plane. As for the other Gideon is a bro so he's fine, but the three women were written for tumblr teens that's why they talk like fucking idiots.
>>
>>55370135
Shes a Warrior Poet and a Dinosaur Knight.

Powerset wise she can summon and control Dinos Aquaman style, is good with hand to hand combat and poetry.

I REALLY would like to see that last ability executed on a card, but I have no idea hoe to do a poem mechanically?>>55371345
1. She knows about the golden city. so her first walk (attempted) to take her there
2. She is a poet amd creative at heart, and KLD is a plane steeped in creativitity.
>>
>>55371345
It was her creativity! She's a warrior poet, her prose isn't all that far from the creative spark of the inventors of Kaladesh
>>
>>55374522
Sometimes I actually love Wizards' clever-boy references. Making Blackbeard constantly be on fire for real is great.
>>
>>55373366
I think maybe thejoke was his angry face and happy face look so much alike becasue hes a fucking bull
>>
>>55375142
They dont like to have doubled up colours in standard at all, plus we dont have blocks anymore. Most likely a dead Elspeth is W/B. Or Gideon will become reckless and almost suicidal following Amonkhet and become W/R.

B/W Elspeth is the most likely as we have Huatli in the W/R role. It also balances against a R/U Dack which is almost assuredly in the same set.
>>
>>55373524
Tell that to Larry Hama , James Roberts ,
,Tatsuhiko Urahata and Simom Furman.
>>
>>55373780
Ok I fucking LOVE the art direction for spells here.Every card has a picture of ome faction fuckinh up another fa tion.

I get to see Vampires stabbing T rexes, Mermaida drowing goblin pirates, and Dino Knights stampeesing over Catherdral ships.
>>
>>55375178
All walkers are mages anyway, its not that special.

Samuts "power" is talking to dinosaurs (which like everyone can do) and poetry.

POETRY.
>>
>>55374235
>>55373703
>>55373780
Keep on lads
>>
File: en_rXoEuzjgbw.png (164KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_rXoEuzjgbw.png
164KB, 265x370px
>>55375553
>Now this is dino racing!
>>
File: sj5lel2a9xkz.jpg (92KB, 723x960px) Image search: [Google]
sj5lel2a9xkz.jpg
92KB, 723x960px
>>55375553
>Jace is the key to all of this, if we get Jace working. Cause he's a funnier character than we've ever had in the sets...
>>
>>55375295
Stories where Jace is a major protagonist:
Agents of Artifice (novel), Return to Ravnica, Shadows Over Innistrad.
Stories in which Jace shows up as a minor presence:
Zendikar, Return to Zendikar, Kaladesh, Amonkhet.
Stories in which Jace is not present:
Alara, Scars of Mirrodin, Innistrad, Theros, Tarkir.
Unknown how much his presence will actually be:
Ixalan.
The ACTUAL problem is that he had a card printed in every core set. Just like the others, but they didn't have the 'benefit' of having a card depicting a minor appearance break Standard and show up in eternal formats. It's never been about how often he's been part of the plot - he's not been a big part until the whole gatewatch bullshit - it's because of Mindsculptor and the core sets printing Jace cards making it FEEL like he's always there.
>>
File: admiralbeckettbrass1.jpg (60KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
admiralbeckettbrass1.jpg
60KB, 265x370px
>>55375553
"This Will Make a Fine Addition To My Collection"
>>
File: Dinotopia_LAFT_cover.jpg (76KB, 408x391px) Image search: [Google]
Dinotopia_LAFT_cover.jpg
76KB, 408x391px
this set
>>
I stopped playing when Innistrad came out.

What happened?
>>
>>55375537
I think you named the wrong planewalker there, anon
>>
>>55368262
Chains look like a vector graphic with a shitty gradient overlay on them,
>>
>>55376193
The Gatewatch, mainly
>>
>>55368710
Can we talk about this picture for a second? Why is she holding her right hand up like that if she doesn't have a rein in her hand? She'd be imbalanced and fall without something to hold onto and I can't unsee it. The artist should have used a better reference if they were gonna pull this shit.
>>
>>55376239
Literally an aluminum can tab copied and pasted with a gradient overlay
>>
>>55376193
Nothing good
>>
>>55376281
Artist probably drew her holding a rein initially, was told the character doesn't use reins when he submitted the sketch, shrugged and got rid of the rein and then just didn't fix the pose after that.
>>
>Huatli

Whatley?
>>
>>55375537
Poetry magic could be cool
>>
>>55376356
Like Kubo? As she tells the story/reads the poem it causes something to happen in real life.
>>
>>55376349
Hwatley.
>>
File: 1467499879768.jpg (215KB, 1000x770px) Image search: [Google]
1467499879768.jpg
215KB, 1000x770px
>>55376356
>>55376416
It sounds like Tamiyo's way of casting spells.

I LOVE YOU TAMTAM
>>
>>55368076
>I actually like a character that Wizards wrote
Well, she's either going to get fucked over or she's going to be completely irrelevant to the story. At least this one can't be ruined by time travel.
>>
>>55376823
How'd you like your meteor?
>>
>>55375129
Gideon, God of Justice enchantment creature

Followed by Gideon, Divine Guardian planeswalker card

You know it'll happen
>>
>>55377109
Other way around m8, they can't just have two mono white walkers around.
>>
>>55375444
I'd say W/R Gideon is more likely, there's Kaya and Sorin in W/B while there's only done-chick in W/R
>>
File: 23462.png (227KB, 381x282px) Image search: [Google]
23462.png
227KB, 381x282px
>>55377298
What's a Kaya?
>>
>>55377341
The lady who murdered King Brago, if I recall.
>>
>>55377341
Smug black exorcist or ghost assassin as she calls herself...
Probably will show up in return to return to ravnica helping teysa get rid of her ghost council problem...

Is it wrong to fund her smugness cute and yet want something humbling to happen to her?
>>
>>55377381
I thought she was the Ghost assassin because she phases through stuff, not because she kills ghosts?

That's really misleading. She may want to specify that on her business card.
>>
>>55376449
Get in line
>>
>>55377435
Yeah I thought that too at one time, but it turns out she doesn't kill living things...
Pity she'd be perfect for an anti-gatewatch if she did.
Her as the mercury to dack's emerald.
>>
File: CqkZByJWcAA6Rw7.jpg (201KB, 1200x809px) Image search: [Google]
CqkZByJWcAA6Rw7.jpg
201KB, 1200x809px
>>55377341
>>
>>55377587
Is she the first masterpiece card?
>>
>>55377587
>Make basic artwork as boring as possible so people don't see her doing something cool like walking through walls

Magic's current art director needs a dose of bullet to the head.
>>
Everyone, you're not listening.

Liliana shows up in Dominiaria because that's her home and shit. Perfect time to reintroduce Koth, since it's been half a decade since we saw him. Maybe he's an agent of Bolas, believing that the elder dragon can help purge the New Phyrexians?

Chandra appears on a new plane that will likely be Wild Wild West/Mad Max/Post Apocalypse plane. Maybe have Karn or Narset show up as well.

Gideon gets the Norse plane (again with their Gods) to get a third perspective on Gods- Nicer and less powerful than Theros gods, but Not mind controlled and more ephemeral as compared to Amonkhet gods.

Return to Theros will star Ajani and Dack Fayden going to rescue Angelspeth.
>>
>>55378540
Dominaria could be a place to reintroduce Koth, but I'd prefer it if he's just there picking through the remains of Yawgmoth's Phyrexian invasion looking for any potential weakness in his world's Phyrexian occupation.
>>
>>55378540
i'm pretty sure lili is gonna have to be on the norse plane with her connection to raven dad
>>
>>55377587
This card doesnt kill Ghosts at all.

Arent walkers meant to be top doen?
>>
>>55379453
It can blink tokens, in which there are many spirit tokens.

Or, you know, she's just really bad at her job. She stabs the ghost, it goes away for awhile, and then manifests itself again because it's a fucking ghost, who proceeds to slap you for 2 damage

Or maybe she's not an assassin of ghosts, but rather a ghost who is an assassin.
>>
>>55379453
Actually, walkers are almost entirely made by development.
>>
>>55379704
2 out of 2 stories have her assassinate ghosts. She's also part ghost herself, which is why she can do it.
>>
Are there PDFs of any of the MTG art books floating around?
>>
>>55378540
My theory is Loki is on dominaria just because she was the second person to leave the fight with bolas, and it's the second set after bolas. But it would probably make most sense to visit her last.

Chandra I (from what I heard) had a good standing relationship with sarkhan and I just want an excuse to go to tarkir again. But Chandra did live in a monastery for a while so living with the ojatai and reintroducing them the red mana and/or learning to chill the hell out / fight dragons might be a good character arc. But that's all just me making up a dumb excuse to go to tarkir
>>
Where are the vraska lewds
>>
>>55369753
He is a Pirate right...
So why wouldn't he work with Vraska?
I mean we already know that the pirates talk about her at High and Dry, and more over she is a completely unique thing on Ixalan.

Even a buffoon would know she's not native and could be a planeswalker.
>>
>>55371788
Yeah, safe bet is that Rivals will have Angrath, Ajani, and some human so it's not all furry-walkers.
>>
>>55376846
Just fuck my plane up
>>
>>55383660
Since the 2 set blocks began they've done a 3-2 split of walkers. There won't be a third.
>>
>>55383911
Shit forgot Tamiyo. Although I do recall she was a special exception and had to made 3c to compensate.
>>
>>55377514
as if any black woman can be represented in a negative light. Imagine the outcry on tumblr
>>
>>55378540
where is Nissa?
>>
>>55383934
When we returned to Innistrad, one of the questions raised was about the fate of Tamiyo. Was she still on Innistrad, or had she ventured off to another world to study its moon? The audience has come to embrace Tamiyo, so the creative team decided to use her in the story. Her research into Innistrad's moon fit perfectly into the way they wanted to craft the story.

But we had a small problem. Four of the five planeswalker slots were accounted for, and the fifth had special color needs that Tamiyo didn't fit (more on this below). It just seemed wrong that she didn't get a planeswalker card. The Gatewatch is around so that if we don't get a planeswalker card in one world, we can catch it in the next. Tamiyo, though, was only here for the current story. If we missed giving her a planeswalker card here, it could be years and years before we got another chance.

The creative team went to Erik Lauer (the head developer and the person who cares most about planeswalker balance) and pleaded their case. Erik explained that the reason he limits planeswalkers to five per block is so that Standard has the proper amount of planeswalkers in it. But maybe there was a way to do this. The narrower a planeswalker, the less troubling it is for Standard. Could we find a way to make Tamiyo a three-color planeswalker? That would push her toward a very specific deck, meaning that development could better monitor her and make sure her impact was controlled.

Three-color Tamiyo was better than no Tamiyo, so the creative team went to work. Okay, obviously she needed to be blue. She was also a scientist, which tended to push her more toward Simic (blue-green). Also, her role in the story was her trying to figure out what was wrong with the world in order to save it. It could be argued she had some white in her. Okay, for this set Tamiyo is Bant (green-white-blue).

So to have a sixth walker they need major story justification and it has to have a restrictive colour requirement.
>>
>>55380655
no, only the scans of some pages.
>>
>>55380655
it's worth it to buy the books. amazon has them for around $25 a piece (at least when i buy them) and each one feels like a campaign setting.
>>
>>55380655
I think they exist only as paperback, so a kindly anon with much freetime who has the book would have to scan them all and then post it. Suffice to say, there are none yet
>>
>>55376449
True, I wonder how they're going to differentiate between the two styles of magic.
>>
>Angrath shows that he is cabable of being cool to huatli and is actually just throwing a fit.
>after vraska and jace show up they all team up to help solve planeswalking mystery
>huatli eventually joins team after seeing 3 walkers all working together and jace/vraska are not introduced to her as being huge assholes
>mystery solved and they can all leave ixalan
Jace starts a new gatewatch with huatli, angrath, vraska and never returns to the old team (either never regaining memory, or simply assumes bolas killed the rest)
>>
>>55384342
Hautli doesnt use poetry magic.

She us just a poet who is also a mage.
>>
>>55383585
Probably too busy searching the land itself to visit high and dry and listen to rumors. Listening for other weirdos would be the smart thing to do, but he's a bull who knows the relic of the sun is on Ixalan. He probably keeps trying to rush to the center of it whenever he's not raiding to secure enough supplies for another ytip inland.
>>
>>55378540
GIDEON WON'T GO TO BORSE PLANE, HE'S GOING TO ROME PLANE
THEY ALREADY SPOILED A CREATURE FROM THERE IN C17, IT'S GONNA HAPPEN
>>
>>55380682
>Sarkhan

He literally tried to murder her back during Zendikar 1.
>>
File: perilousvoyage.jpg (42KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
perilousvoyage.jpg
42KB, 265x370px
I, for one, am intrigued.
>>
>>55385656
That's jace falling right?
>>
>>55385557
Willing to admit I'm a newfag to the lore. I knew they fought, but I heard somewhere they didn't hate each other. My point still stands that Chandra going to tarkir would be cool with me because of the monks/dragons and familiar face to her. (Bonus points that narset is friends with tamiyo and probably ajani so it explains how she figures out where to meet back up with everyone)
>>
>>55385731

Nah, that's Vraska falling.
For Jace.
>>
File: 1498072151131s.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1498072151131s.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>55385656
I doubt she genuinely cares for Jace, it's most likely she wants to manipulate him to do a inside job on Ravnica or help her to escape Ixalan.
>>
>>55386736
She doesn't care for jace, only his ass
>>
>>55386029
For a gangly nerd with memory problems Jace pulls a surprising amount of pussy.
>>
File: mtg alison luhrs tweets.png (203KB, 1177x1132px) Image search: [Google]
mtg alison luhrs tweets.png
203KB, 1177x1132px
>>55368862
>>55368710
>>55368905
>>55369093
After a bit of autistic Googling, here's what I got:
https://twitter.com/MTGAlison/status/902935164157706240
make of it what you will.
>>
>>55385656
So Merfolk find Jace and train him right? That's what the art of Grasping Current depicts. And Jace's Sentinel.
>>
>>55387233
What, is this so no one will know who writes the shit ones?
>>
>>55387233
The way I see it, one or two of the terrible Chandra fanfiction writers realised people didn't like their writing and so instead of improving their writing they probably threw a hissy drama fit and insisted the whole team takes the hit collectively because you know, they're a bunch of whiny entitled virtue-signalling, diverse socialists.
>>
>>55387104
Have you ever seen the film "what women want"? Turns out mind reading is a great super power if you want to pickup chicks.
>>
>>55387233
>>55387424
I'm gonna keep bitching for a bit because of how entirely ludicrous I find this affair, please excuse me for a second. Everyone gets credited for their own articles. Everyone who writes their own articles on the Wizards site gets their own credits unless it's an administrative announcement. Even BNR announcements are credited so you know who to fucking complain to. FUCKING COMIC BOOK CROSSOVERS (WHICH MIGHT I REMIND YOU IS THE PULP FICTION GARBAGE THIS MISERABLE EXCUSE OF A CREATIVE TEAM IS TRYING AND FAILING TO APE) WHERE MULTIPLE WRITERS AND ARTISTS CONTRIBUTE TO DIFFERENT PARTS HAVE SEPARATE CREDITS BASED ON WHO DOES THE BOOK AND WHO DID WHAT STORY IN A SINGLE BOOK.

THE ENTITLED FUCK WHO FOUGHT FOR THIS CREDITING SYSTEM DOESN'T DESERVE THE FUCKING JOB, FIRE THEM AND GET BETTER ONES. THEY ARE A BLIGHT ON THE COMMUNITY.
>>
>>55387609
>using super powers for petty purposes
God I hate those movies.
>>
>>55387104
>gangly nerd
Have you SEEN his new card?
I'd let him buckle my swash.
>>
>>55387626
>>55387323
guess who was behind this? Allison "Marauding Mummy" Luhrs or Ken "Magical Realm" Troop?
>>
>>55387969
Are you implying Ken Tropp is a bad writer? If so I'll fuck your pets and piss on your magic cards.

Ken is the best writer they have.
>>
>>55376311
ANd now i can't not think of angrath with a stash of soda cans and saving the tabs to make his own personal whips
>>
>>55388152
I picked up the Amonkhet story solely because ONE of them had Troop writing it.
>>
>>55388152
to be fair, Tropp really does like to go ham on the mindbreak
>>
>>55375067
>those black outlines on the sword
why do I like these so much?
>>
>>55380637
>She's also part ghost herself
how does this even happen though?
>>
>>55390476
I mean Danny Phantom is a thing, this isn't novel narrative technology.
>>
>>55376846
With an engine that let's you shell out 320 damage per land.
>>
>>55387261
Planeswalker decks are irrelevant to literally everything.
>>
>>55386736
Or her sense of justice, such as it is, recognizes that he isn't quite as bad as she previously thought.
>>
>>55388152
>reading magical realms
>>
>>55390627
Most of the time they just give you a feel for the characters. Chandra makes fire, Lilly is a necromancer, Bolas is evil.

However that's not always the case, the Ajani and Gideon ones show story relevant stuff (Ajani leads the rebellion, Gideon attempts the trials) and the newest Nissa deck implies that she returned to help fix the plane for the survivors. Which is hugely story relevant.
>>
>>55392996
>Ajani leads the rebellion
Ajani didn't really lead much.

>and the newest Nissa deck implies that she returned to help fix the plane for the survivors
Is that supported literally anywhere else?
>>
>>55392594
Mindfuck is my magical realm, so yes no shit I read Troop's stuff.
>>
>>55375553
>it's like poetry... it rhymes
>>
>>55377341
Resident black person who's main job is shanking people and stealing shit. Literally created by a fat black sjw """"writer""""
>>
>>55383911
Shadows over Innistrad had 6 walkers
>>
File: 88.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>55392594
1v1 me Homelands sealed, faggot.
>>
>>55395433
She seems like a really shitty Garruk...
>>
>>55395529
So did Kaladesh, 10 if you include the PW decks.
>>
>>55368076
Didn't read. Is it worth reading? Does anything happen?
>>
>>55397839
It's an introduction to Huatli and shows her sparking

It depends on your definition of 'anything happen'
>>
>>55368076
So the "Golden City" she saw was another plane, right?
Even if Ixalan is special in that ain't nobody ever leave I can't see a Planeswalker sparking only to just take a peek a few hundred miles away.
>>
>>55395529
And to have that many, one had to be three color, despite being a monocolor character.
>>55397196
Planeswalker decks never count for anything. Though I'm not sure how they go from 'We need to make Tamiyo three-color or she can't be in at all' to ''two-color funhouse'
>>
>>55398261
...it tried to take her to Kaladesh, as the article showed.
>>
>>55375887
>that face
He looks like he's farting
>>
>>55398306
They knew for sure Bolas was in the next expansion and that expansion rotates with KLD, which meant that they could include an extra walker in Kaladesh to compensate.
>>
we could've had a cool prequel to IceAge set but no we absolutely need those yasqueenslay pirates
>>
>>55393497
It's also supported by a lot of the green draft chaft cards like Beneath the Sands and Hope Tender.
>>
>>55375444
He's too pissed at Bolas for him to want to die. He thought of letting Bolas kill him for a minute before he came to his senses and said that he had to live to kick Nick's ass next time.
>>
>>55373211
Chainers are found on dominaria, the zendikari chainers were a reference to it. Chainer was from dominaria.
>>
>>55387104
>female: mind control
>>
I just finished the Weatherlight saga. Gerrard is a total bitch throughout the entire thing. His biggest accomplishment is calming down an Aboroth andblowing himself up. The end is also a kind of mess. Urza destroyed literally half of Phyrexia the first time he came there, and now he couldn't do it with a group of Godwalkers and nukes. Was there some editorial shit behind the scenes or something?
>>
>>55398483
Chainer was a special case, a pit fighter with unique skills. It isn't a standard weapon of the Cabal.
>>
File: 546456t.jpg (12KB, 255x209px) Image search: [Google]
546456t.jpg
12KB, 255x209px
>>55368076

What is this face trying to convey?
>>
>>55398602
I think the pits themselves were the special case.
A handful of other cards had chain weapons, ones that typically ended in a scythe-like blade.

Fighting with chains is typically a very, very bad idea unless you're only there to drive a point home or be showy as fuck. Their one advantage is their range, and even then a whip is about 100 times more practical.

Of course this is just in terms of skill, Angrath's chains seem to be moved by magic, not brute force.
>>
>>55368823
>>55368904
>>55371941

I'm betting Ravnica, too. Kinda remins me of the non-guilded minotaurs there, though the chain thingy is from Zendikar.
>>
>>55398580
Inconsistency is a big thing in almost every story that ends up running longer than a year in most media.
Power levels are the Visigoth's to fantasy's Rome, you will find all sorts of wonky shit that doesn't make sense or you think could have easily been avoided.
The only way to chalk it all up is human error on the character's part.
Urza is extremely powerful as far as planeswalkers go, however he's shit in a 1v1 scenario even against foes much weaker than him.
On his first assault against Phyrexia he had the element of surprise and was in a blind rage, not caring about his own life or the repercussions of his actions. After going through a couple layers of plane and thousands of ghoul-bots he had a change of heart and high-tailed it the fuck out of there.
Yawgmoth had grown complacent in the years before Urza came around and had likely never considered someone simply kicking in his front door and smashing his shit up, needless to say he stepped up the defenses after that.

The second plan failed because Urza fucked up really bad in that he suddenly had doubts about destroying Phyrexia, so he betrayed his allies for the nth time and eventually got his head cut off so it could be used as a battery.

All in all, Weatherlight Saga was weird as fuck so we don't read too far into the small details.
>>
File: Image.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>55395623
>Posting the inferior legend
>>
>>55398730
It's funny how people ride Urza's dick when he gets punked almost every time. He almost got killed by a phyrexian whose only tools were fish and twigs.
>>
>>55395623
Miss Chanandler Bong?
>>
>>55398653
They were a small recurring motif in Otaria because Provoke was a mechanic in one of the sets (don't remember which), the idea behind it being that they were basically doing a "Get over here!" maneuver with them.
>>
>>55398616
>"This bitch'll get my colossal dino dong tonight."
>>
Gishath lore when?

I want him to actually be a relevant aspect of Uxalan's and the Sun Empire's lore, identity and the dinosaurs living on the continent.

Angry Omnath, Ishkanah and Unesh were disappointing enough, I'm not sure I can take another legendary creature that was solely printed to serve its tribe as a commander and nothing else.
>>
>>55373018
Didn't Theros have burning minotaurs that were blessed by Poryphorous or Mogis or something?
>>
>"Look at these silly vampires, they use golden metal, so silly"
>natives also are looking for the golden city
This weirded me out
>>
>>55399693
It was more a comment on style and craftsmanship. The vampires favor ornate stabbing weapons like fancy rapiers which is more delicate than what the empire uses.
>>
File: Adanto-Vanguard-Ixalan-Spoiler.jpg (111KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Adanto-Vanguard-Ixalan-Spoiler.jpg
111KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: Deathless-Ancient-Ixalan-MtG-Art.jpg (137KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Deathless-Ancient-Ixalan-MtG-Art.jpg
137KB, 1200x900px
>>
I take it MtG vampires don't care about sunlight?
>>
>>
>>55399846
Depends on the plane.
>>
>>
File: 1504991569180.jpg (778KB, 1000x735px) Image search: [Google]
1504991569180.jpg
778KB, 1000x735px
>>
>>55398730
I kind of like the Weatherlight saga but it really was weird as fuck.

On another note, it's nice to see we're finally having the swashbuckling, new shores exploring adventuring fun that they promised us when they announced Zendikar 2.0 .
The fact that it was essentially Return to Rise of the Eldrazi has been pissing me off for the last couple of years.
>>
>>55375129
I ship Elspeth and Gideon, so I hope they don't change their colors. Both of them could use something good in their lives.
>>
>>55399938
I hope so, that would mean we can get Gatewatch Gruul shipping.
>>
This may be a stupid question, but how does color identity work in lore? Does your personality dictate what colors you can use? I seem to remember that your mana is dependant on what area of a world you have a more spiritual connection to, like thinking of your hometown in the desert makes you lean more toward white mana.
>>
>>55400104
Whoever's writing dictates the color identity of a character. However, a character of a certain identity usually only has access to certain sorts of magic, tends to be found in certain sorts of locations and is usually driven by certain motivation and has a certain personality.

For example, if you write a white character that doesn't care about the greater good, that doesn't use healing or protective magic, that doesn't seek justice and peace, you'll need to explain what other white traits that character has. If the character has very few white traits, then why choose to write the character as white?
>>
>>55400104
Yeah, I think you got the gist of it. The only caveat is that just because someone has a color identity, doesn't mean they can't cast spells outside of that color, just that they have a preference for those colors.
>>
>>55400195
>>55400180
But the Desertfolk in the Brother's war were pretty connected to the deserts/plains that they lived on, and they were far from white in personality so your color preference shouldn't really affect your personality. Kaladesh doesn't have that many mountains as far as I know but yet Chandra only uses red magic. I guess they just play it loose?
>>
>>55400279
Exceptions exist. There are plenty of determining factors for color identity. A character is not barred from being red just because they don't live in mountains, living in mountains is just one tiny thing that could potentially push the character closer to being red.
>>
File: 268[1].jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
268[1].jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>55400279
Don't forget that they've also played fast and loose with what can represent each land type over the years.
Besides, the default for a desert isn't a plains, it's colorless.
>>
>>55399978
I have a gut feeling that Elspeth is going to come back as WB due to her sense of betrayal, depression, and sorta being deadish.
>>
>>55400279
Deserts are very Red/White, most nomadic tribes fit it to a T since they really need that solidarity and societal codes otherwise there's no way they'd survive in such harsh climates.
>>
Jace is building up his harem quite nicely. Do you think he does mind things to lavinia to keep her complacent?
>>
>>55399808
Bat God, best god
>>
>>55400981
He really does. I would have thought Gideon would be the most popular with the ladies but it seems the writer really self project unto Jace quite a lot, which is not surprising since they're a bunch of nerds, and so he gets to have all the pussy. That'd be my explanation.
>>
>>55369514
>tfw barely any merfolk at all because merfolk are an established tribe, as opposed to dinos and pirates
>>
>>55369514
Merfolk have a higher chance of appearing in a future set, I wouldn't be suprised seeing them on dominaria.
>>
>>55398616
>this is haram
>>
>>55376239
>Chains look like a vector graphic with a shitty gradient overlay on them
It really bugs me how modern artists don't bother drawing chains anymore. They just use the Illustrator chain brush, which just looks bad.

I can't wait for digital art to fall out of fashion and artists having to start learning how to draw again.
>>
>>55401941
This.
It's kind of happening in the film industry with more high budget movies doing some practical effects.
I hope the trend continues.
>>
>>55401368
I do wonder why he gets fucking rekt by everything since he became the guildpact, he did nothing of value in Amonkhet since gods and undead are impervious to his shit.
>>
>>55403517
He got rekt by shit before and during becoming the Guildpact as well, IIRC.
'being rekt' is just Jace's usual state.
>>
File: dredd-visor-flames.gif (166KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
dredd-visor-flames.gif
166KB, 500x281px
I hope Huatli joins the gatewatch or at least travels off Ixalan with Jace.

One of the problems I feel with the GW is they're all fairly generic characters who feel more like they exist to be exaggerated examples of the color they represent.

I thought this is what WotC intended and was going to fill out the roster with the cooler characters we come across. Milf Werewolf? Nope, barely relevant in her own block. Kaladesh Artificer? That's a skill set that would be useful for the GW to have around. Nope, stays on her home plane. Oh surely Samut will have to leave Amonkhet after Bolas fucks it up. Nope, she stays behind.

What the fuck is with Wizards and making cool looking planeswalkers then just making them stay on their home plane.

What even is the point of planeswalkers if you're not gonna have them travel around to different planes where they stick out like a sore thumb? Even Ajani barely got more than a second glance on Kaladesh where there were no leonen before. I want to see Jace walk into somewhere with an Aztec warrior with a dinosaur behind him and have the locals actually go "What the fuck is this?"
>>
>>55407188
They exist and are used because they are all genuinely interesting characters even if they arent all written very well. A rando observer though isnt going to know the characters backstories or what informs their decisions because it just doesn't come up. Gideon isnt going to mope every story about how he killed his friends and has developed a suicidal drive to prevent it from happening again, Jace isnt going to brood every story about how he keeps getting manipulated and forced to doing things for others at the expense of his own morality, Chandra isnt going to cry every story about being born a destructive and reckless pyromancer on an entire world of people focused on creating in a city controlled by those who have strict rules and regulations for her kind, etc.
>>
>>55407315
I hope it didn't come across that I hate or dislike the Gatewatch 5 as much as some people, I just think what would make the Gatewatch as a concept (a group of planeswalkers traveling around trying to keep the multiverse from falling apart) if some of these other walkers they keep introducing then dumping actually stuck around for a bit
>>
>>55407188

>Samut
>Cool looking

How can you tell? She's too fast to see, she's a speedster. :^)
>>
>>55407188
>>55407315
It's a basic thing to do if they're set on trying to set up a superhero team. They need to set it up like the Justice League cartoon, where we have the established core members, but most sets are those members interacting with new or side members, which helps keep things fresh.

Otherwise you get the last few sets where Nissa always wanders off to talk to the soul of the world before supercharging the group with mana during the climax, because she has no other reason to be there.
>>
File: blur of blades.jpg (109KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
blur of blades.jpg
109KB, 850x500px
>>55407381
When they actually show her being fast, she actually looks rather cool. For some reason though, I think some art director demanded they make her stationary and hit her with an ugly stick a few times on her actual card art.
>>
>>55407188
What I'm really mad about is that most of the recent pws are extraordinary people, often even before they spark. Saheeli? Best damn artificer of her generation. Samut? Best damn fighter of her generation, only one to see behind the veil of deceit of Bolas rule, conveniently sparks. Huatli? Best damn warrior of her generation, conveniently sparks. I mean, the only cool thing about new walkers is that they should be relatable, and acquire amazing skills by walking the planes. It didn't pass that much time since Domri (literally a random Gruul recruit), Xenagos (just an average satyr), Tibalt (a necromancer's apprendist). Sure, their characters weren't well utilized, but that's another story. It's fine if they were powerful before they sparked (Sarkhan and Narset were khans iirc, Jace was extremely talented), but don't make it a rule and don't shove it up our ass.
>>
>>55407605
That's another good point. A big thing with a lot of planeswalkers is while they have some natural talent, going to another plane is what gives them the opportunity to really hone it in a boundless array of worlds.

Jace, for example, was stuck being some mediocre spy on a plane that seemed rather sparsely populated, only to lose his memories in a fight and get thrust into a plane that was a city populated by millions if not billions. That's the ultimate playground for a telepath to try and figure out their limits.

While some walkers go and then return shortly after, it's very important that they spend at least some time there. Domri and Nissa are the ones I think spent some of the least time, and even both of them were in Naya and Lorwyn long enough to meet some elves and chat about how cool nature was before going home.

If a character is already skilled and has no reason to leave their plane, then they need to just be a normal character.
>>
>>55407788
Exactly, Saheeli and Samut had 0 reasons to be PWs whatsoever. Probably Huatli as well, despite the cool plot device of her "seeing" Orazca (I would argue that it wasn't necessary to already introduce her as the best warrior of the empire, she could have had lower grades and then earn the title at the end of the story as she completes her exploration). I have some hopes for Angrath though.
>>
>>55408060
Yeah, I do feel like Hualti already being on the cusp of being a Warrior-Poet feels rather lazy. Having it more clear that she has a while longer to earn it would help.

That said, at least for Ixalan there's a good reason why the native Planeswalker can't leave, as opposed to Samut who just wills herself back and Saheeli who apparently didn't see any value in a multiverse full of machinery.
>>
>>55407605
this is one thing that irked me about the Kaladesh walkers. How did they spark? Baan does not appear to be the adventurous type and Saheeli apparently only left the plane to find new metals
>>
>>55408865
That's a good question. Neither of them really seem like they'd do anything dangerous like be pilots that might wind up in a crash. Did they just both randomly get mugged one day and that was enough?
>>
>>55408937
Baan likely sparked when he discovered a document filed in the wrong place or used as a table mat
>>
>>55409244
Somebody put their drink down on some thopter blueprints
without using a coaster
>>
>>55408865
Baan likely inspected a defective machine that became defective on him
Saheeli doesnt have enough backstory to try to figure out what caused her to spark. Maybe her first invention sparked her, shes canonically too good at that robot pitfighting to have gotten accidently killed.
>>
>>55408865
Any intense emotion can spark a walker.

Samut sparked by pure love
>>
>>55383422
Gotta commission them ya dummy.
>>
>>55410439
They need to include Nissa

Jund em out
>>
>>55368076
bamp
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.